Profile for G. Cox > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2062

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Cox "Shanghaied" RSS Feed (Houston, Texas)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
7W CREE Q5 LED Mini Flashlight Adjustable Focus Zoom (Blue)
7W CREE Q5 LED Mini Flashlight Adjustable Focus Zoom (Blue)
Offered by TrustEHarbor
Price: $6.55
4 used & new from $6.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright Light and Well Built, December 16, 2014
I purchased a lot of these flashlights in different colors. I always look for the Cree stamp and I've not been disappointed. I did purchase some off brand lookalikes and I regretted buying them even at half the price. They may look the same, but their light is very noticeably less than this Cree brand. So don't be tempted to buy off brand flashlights. Even the Cree flashlights will vary somewhat in light intensity, but not like the off brands do.

Safe-er Grip Bath & Shower Handle, 17-Inches (Pack of 2)
Safe-er Grip Bath & Shower Handle, 17-Inches (Pack of 2)
Offered by COLORADO DISTRIBUTORS
Price: $27.25
5 used & new from $20.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Fall Off the Wall Overnight, December 16, 2014
I bought this pack of two grips and one consistently falls off the wall overnight. My tiles feel smooth to the touch. I have wiped the walls dry after every shower ever since the shower was new, so there is no soap buildup. The directions say to apply to a dry surface. I may try to wet the suction cups to determine if that makes any difference. I am debating whether to send them back. When I first apply them to the shower wall, they hold very strongly - cannot pull them off. It is just annoying to reattach them every day. I just had neck surgery, so I need grab bars in the shower.

These grips are beautiful and the color matches my shower tiles so very well. Everything seems perfect except they don't stay gripped to the wall. Apparently there is a slow leak. I've tried different locations, but the result is the same. However, there is one suction cup that holds very well for days. Maybe I will order another pair in hopes they might stay on the wall. Then I'll return the worst ones.

SP Gadgets Tripod Screw Adapter One Color, One Size
SP Gadgets Tripod Screw Adapter One Color, One Size
Offered by COUNTDOWN321
Price: $9.85
7 used & new from $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit - Good and Tight, December 14, 2014
Works perfectly with a GoPro adapter. It was a very tight fit, but that is a good thing. I just kept pushing and pushing it into position until the holes lined up. I was beginning to wonder if it would fit, but it did. Then I put the screw in and tightened it up. Perfect fit. Not much more to say except it fits beautifully. It doesn't take a lot of force to secure the camera base either.

GoPole REACH - 14-40" Telescoping Extension Pole for GoPro Cameras 36-102cm
GoPole REACH - 14-40" Telescoping Extension Pole for GoPro Cameras 36-102cm
Offered by GoPole Mounts & Accessories
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Work with Conventional Cameras, Too., December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun way to take photos, but you don't necessarily have to purchase a GoPro camera to use it. I ordered a simple $10 adapter called SP Gadgets Tripod Screw Adapter One Color, One Size while I was waiting for this GoPole Reach pole to arrive. I didn't know if this GoPole Reach Extension Pole came with an adapter screw, but now I know it does. So there are other even less expensive adapters without screws for under $5 that will work, too.

Now to review this extension pole. It performs very well and I have not found even a minor problem. You can quickly extend and lock the pole into position and it holds its position quite well. It even has a tripod mount at the end of the pole where you can mount it on a fixed tripod. So if you want to get a high perspective angle on your subject matter and not worry about camera motion, this is a novel way to accomplish it. And if you do some exploring, you can find lots of low cost ways to take photos on a pole.

Anyway, my imitation technique is to set my standard camera to the two or ten second delay mode and press the shutter button and then hold it up just like I would with a GoPro camera. I can hear the timer beeping as the delay time is nearing shutter release. Of course, a remote control for the GoPro allows you a lot more control on the timing of the shot. If you are trying to get the benefit of a GoPro camera by using cameras you already own, this is a great way to do it.

I am using a Samsung WB350F 16.2MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Digital Camera with 21x Optical Zoom and 3.0" Touch Screen LCD and 1080p HD Video (White) instead of a GoPro camera. As I take photos, the image is being transmitted to my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0" 16GB WiFi + GSM GT-N5100 Factory Unlocked (White) tablet cell phone. Then I can transfer the photos to Facebook almost instantly.

Avery Textured Scroll Oval Label, White, 2.5-Inch x 1.5-Inch, Pack of 45 (80501)
Price: $7.72
4 used & new from $7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy to Print Customized Labels, November 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very easy to print customized labels one label at a time or a full sheet at a time from the Avery website. They have about every kind of label image that you can image and then some. Don't quite like a label? You can edit their labels to say whatever you wish. I imported one of the Avery solid color backgrounds, but it would not allow me to change it. I wanted red, but my only choice was yellow. So there are a few restrictions. However, you can choose your font size and color and alignment and many other options. Or you can upload one of your own photos or designs.

But 18 cents per label is rather expensive in my opinion and that is the only reason I deducted a star. There are only 3 sheets included and 15 labels per sheet equaling 45 total individual labels. Fortunately you can select a single label from any unused location and print only what you need. Thankfully I received these on the Amazon Vine program. I've purchased more generalized labels at a significantly lower cost per label. So in this case, you're paying for the cutout design.

Remington Products PG6250 Wettech Head, Beard and Body Grooming Kit, Black
Remington Products PG6250 Wettech Head, Beard and Body Grooming Kit, Black
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hair Trimmer, November 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This a surprisingly good hair cutter. If you put hair in front of it, it's definitely going to get cut. The cutting blade width is fairly narrow, but sufficient. The razor body is long and narrow and fits my hands perfectly. There are two things I like best about the Remington razor. First, the body hair shaver head works exceptionally well to trim back the main part of my mustache - better than any other product I've tried.

The other thing I especially like is the hair clipping head. This Remington runs fast and it really cuts well even though the active cutting width is only 1 inch wide. It's wide enough - just takes a few more strokes.

Honeywell HCE100B Heat Bud Ceramic Heater, Black
Honeywell HCE100B Heat Bud Ceramic Heater, Black
Price: $24.40
5 used & new from $20.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact Heater With 2 Power Settings, November 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a relatively compact space heater with two heat settings and an off position. There is only one fan speed whether for low or high heat. The fan speed is somewhat low and fairly quiet. I think this heater is mainly to help warm up your feet. It is only 250 Watts, so it isn't going to heat up a large area. At 12 cents per kilowatt hour, I think it will cost about 3 cents per hour to use it. There is a tip over switch that turns off the heater if you knock it over and it works well.

This space heater is nice in appearance except for the huge ugly 3 X 5 inch yellow warning sticker on the power cord. It says not to remove it, but you'll be very tempted to do just that. Surely there is a better way to make people read the legal warnings. Be sure to read all the restrictions. The first warning is to never use an extension cord, which is probably the most restrictive. Another warning is you are supposed to unplug it when it is not in use. Another warning is not to run the cord under carpet or anything else. And, of course, make sure it is fully plugged into the wall receptacle. Check the wall receptacle and plug frequently for heat while in use. And there is more. The warning is in both Spanish and English. To repeat, it says not to remove this giant ugly yellow tag from the power cord.

PhysiciansCare 90423 Handheld Portable Crank Radio with Flashlight
PhysiciansCare 90423 Handheld Portable Crank Radio with Flashlight
Offered by BisonOffice
Price: $36.69
4 used & new from $29.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Emergency Radio and Flashlight, November 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The radio's battery appears to have been fairly well charged when I received it. It worked right out of the box. I tried the flashlight and it is better than I expected. Fortunately, it is a LED flashlight which should reduce the battery drain a lot compared to an incandescent lamp bulb. The light is more than adequate for most situations. The instructions say to rotate the hand crank 2˝ to 3 times per second. That’s actually fairly fast and the rotating knob on the crank’s arm doesn’t appear to be all that robust. I think you must be extra careful or you may break it off. And if that happens, you pretty much have a useless broken radio. It does require a some effort to turn the crank for a long time. It has a charging port (not USB) that it says can be used to charge other devices. There are no cables included to do this.

Both the AM and FM reception bands on this portable radio work fairly well but don’t expect too much. It is not a digital tuner - still uses an analog tuner. On FM it is easier to tune and AM takes some fine adjustments on the AM band. I am about 50 miles from Houston. The terrain here is comparatively flat, so there are numerous stations available. But there is hardly a comparison to a car radio’s ability. I extended the antenna and couldn’t determine much difference in the number of stations I could receive.

The nearby FM stations here in this area come in loud and clear. There are a few stations in the AM band that come in equally clear. But on the weaker AM stations, it takes extra care to tune it to the center of the station's operating frequency. Of course, that is the entire reason the FM (Frequency Modulation) band was created. The weaker stations on the AM band (Amplitude Modulation) stations mix with adjacent stations so you get a fair amount of background chatter depending upon how centered you tune the station.

The speakers have almost no bass response but if you use headphones, then the sound quality is much better. The volume adjustment knob is very sensitive and even a small increase makes the speakers too loud. I doubt you will ever use it set to more than a quarter rotation. The volume knob is reverse standard. Counterclockwise makes it louder.

This is the first emergency radio I’ve ever used, so I don’t know much about competitive products. But if you look at the price, you can probably use your existing MP3 player with FM for emergency situations. For the flashlight you can buy a much better one for under $10 along with spare batteries. Of course, for extended emergencies, you still have the issue of how to charge batteries. So that is the main purpose of this product. And it serves that function reasonably well.

7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp-Blue(1 mode)
Offered by HaiFon Electronics
Price: $7.29
20 used & new from $5.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flashlight Brightness -TrustEHarbor Supplier, November 22, 2014
By far the brightest Cree flashlight I've purchased so far. I bought flashlights like this from 5 or 6 different well rated suppliers and this one is by far the brightest flashlight of all - and I used real fully charged UltraFire batteries for the side by side test of six flashlights. So I will buy from this supplier from now on - not that I need any more of these flashlights. I'm planning to sell off my other flashlights and replace them only from this supplier.

TrustEHarbor

I read all the supplier ratings and concluded that this supplier has the best reputation. You can check for yourself but I think you'll agree. placed my order on a Saturday and my order was delivered exactly one week later. So that was a quick delivery, too.

UltraFire 3.7V 14500 1200mAh Rechargable Li-Ion Batteries (4-count)
UltraFire 3.7V 14500 1200mAh Rechargable Li-Ion Batteries (4-count)
Offered by Amazing Online Retail LLC
Price: $19.97
9 used & new from $6.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent UltraFire 3.7 Rechargeable Lithium Batteries, November 22, 2014
Apparently true UltraFire Batteries that I bought from the SpringDigi supplier who has a 98% positive rating. Surprisingly, I even received a charger for it as well as the four batteries. I don't know if that was a mistake or the standard way they ship it. The order came quickly - ordered on a Friday and received it on Saturday of the following week - 8 days total. Might even arrive faster if ordered on a Monday.

The batteries came mostly charged. I put them into some flashlights I already had and the light was very bright - about the same as fully charged batteries. I have a NiteCore i4 universal charger that I use and they fully charged up in under an hour. I strongly recommend the NiteCore i4 Charger. It charges up to four batteries at a time and charges many different kinds of batteries.

Originally I was searching for true UltraFire batteries without paying extra for a charger. These batteries seemed to be a reasonable price for just batteries only. At first I was concerned about the number of one star reviews, but after reading those reviews, it appears they didn't realize these were lithium 3.7 volt batteries. They thought they were standard AA batteries. Just glancing at the photo, you might think they were AA batteries, but just reading a few sentences should have cleared that up - too bad the overall rating is so badly skewed just because people didn't read the specifications. They should remove their reviews. You can see that there are no 2 star or 3 star reviews - mostly 5 star reviews and 1 star reviews. That didn't make sense. These appear to first class UltraFire batteries. So I will be ordering more now that I know they are excellent batteries.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2014 6:03 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20