Profile for G. Cox > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1938

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Cox "Shanghaied" RSS Feed (Houston, Texas)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Everday Kitchen Basic Deluxe Windowpane Terry Towel Set of 4, Red
Price: $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Looking Hand Towels, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I read that several people said the seams in these hand towels are inferior and actually come loose in the washing machine. I examined the full perimeter of the hems around these hand towels and it appears to very well done. I pulled at the seams and I don't think they will come undone for a long time to come. Maybe in the past, a bad lot got released with bad seams.

The 100% cotton material is very rough and course. That's actually a good thing for wash cloths because it helps rub off the debris. I'm not so sure what that does for drying kitchen items, but maybe it increases the ability to soak up water and remove any residue. These towels have a good appearance when new and not as great after being washed.

Now one thing that is troubling is the washing instructions.

Machine wash colors separately. Wash in cold water - gentle cycle. Tumble dry low. Low iron.

I never wash any of my clothing under such special conditions, especially not simple hand towels. And iron the hand towels? I've never ironed hand towels in my life and never intend to do it in the future either. I can't believe they would feature these instructions in the photos. But at least they are telling you up front before you make the purchase. I have some 10 year old hand towels that look better and feel better than these and they get washed along with my other clothes with no special treatment.

Spinbrush Spinbush Proclean Sonic Battery Powered Toothbrush
Spinbrush Spinbush Proclean Sonic Battery Powered Toothbrush
Offered by Product Resort
Price: $14.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb High Speed Economical Battery Powered Toothbrush, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've purchased about a half dozen of different electric toothbrushes in this price range when on sale in the past year. Remarkably the last one died the very same day this Spinbrush model arrived.

This Spinbrush has all of these other battery toothbrushes we have used beat. My wife says this Spinbrush is lighter weight and the brush head is significantly smaller and thus fits in her mouth so much better than any of the others she has used. Also she says this Spinbrush's speed is much faster (16,000 sweeps/min) than any battery powered toothbrushes she has ever used. She says it feels like it cleans her teeth better than any other battery powered toothbrush she has ever used. She is wearing Invisalign braces, so she has to brush her teeth quite often. It is imperative that she keeps her teeth very clean when using braces.

We are using the two Duracell batteries that came installed. It is extremely difficult to open the battery compartment. There is a pictorial image on the battery compartment showing how to remove the batteries - not that it makes it any easier to remove it. When these batteries are exhausted, I may change to lithium batteries to generate an even higher spin speed. Or I may use AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. The NiMH batteries are about 1.3 volts when charged, which is less than a fresh alkaline battery voltage of about 1.6 volts. So rechargeable batteries will result in a little slower speed, but will be more economical.

So the big question in my mind is how to select the correct replacement brushes. The literature with this product says to replace the heads very three months, but it doesn't tell you which model head to choose. Here is a direct quote from the Arm and Hammer website:

Spinbrush(tm) Replacement Heads:

- Spinbrush(tm) ProClean(tm) Sonic brush heads do not fit on ProClean(tm), Pro Whitening(tm) or Pro Sensitive battery or rechargeable brushes.

I think this is the correct replacement head, but I'm not absolutely sure. A pair of heads cost about $9 here on Amazon.
- Spinbrush ProClean Soft Bristle Replacement Heads, 2 Heads

It may be academic because I've never owned a battery powered toothbrush that lasted longer than the brush heads. A pair of heads isn't much cheaper than a new battery powered toothbrush complete with new batteries and the brush head. Dentists I've used all say to use Soft brush heads. A soft brush comes standard on this model.

LingsFire® 4Pcs 3.7v 18650 3000mAh Protected Rechargeable li-ion batteries for led flashlight Torch(Black)
Offered by TangsFire
Price: $23.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality and Recharge Well, October 13, 2014
Works very well in my numerous flashlights that require this type of battery. Charge up reasonably quickly and hold the charge well. I've very pleased and I think you will be as well.

niceeshop(TM) Seamless Sleeping Eye Mask Blindfold Shade Cover for Travel,Black
niceeshop(TM) Seamless Sleeping Eye Mask Blindfold Shade Cover for Travel,Black
Offered by Cosy Zone
Price: $1.99
4 used & new from $0.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Mask and Value, October 13, 2014
Excellent quality eye mask. The elastic strap has an adjustable length via a Velcro section, but in my case it is still quite tight. My hat size is 7½ which is larger than most people. I expect it to stretch with continued use. The mask thickness is substantial around the perimeter, but sculptured above the eyes to allow you to blink without touching the inside of the mask. There is a little light seepage around the bottom, but again in my case, I have a big nose to go with my big head.

This same mask is selling for upwards to $9 or $10 on Amazon. The downside is that you must be patient and wait upwards to 3 weeks for it to arrive. I just reordered two more pairs of this mask.

Visual Apex VAPEX 9092TN Tensioned Electric Screen
Visual Apex VAPEX 9092TN Tensioned Electric Screen
Price: $942.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Screen Image Nothing Short of Excellent, October 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I placed the installation effort down below because the main purpose to describe the product in this review. Everyone has already made it clear that it is a sizeable task, but don't let that scare you. It is not so difficult if you carefully plan the installation in advance. I did receive this screen through the Amazon Vine program. If I were to buy it with my own money, I would have purchased a 110 or 120 inch screen. But 92 inches is still double the viewing area of a 65 inch HDTV. Of course, you will need a projector with suitably high brightness for extra large screens.

This is the first tensioned screen that I have ever used. It makes more of a difference than I expected. Large non-tensioned screens are prone to waviness, curves, creases and other distortions. I want everything across the screen to be in clear focus. This is also the first time I've owned a powered screen, too. It is really impressive to see the screen to drop and retract - automatically controlled from the projector. The overall width is 99 inches. The viewable surface is 45 inches vertically and 80 inches horizontally (3600 square inches). For comparison, my 65 inch Panasonic HDTV is 32 inches vertical by 56 inches horizontal (1792 square inches). Bottom line: Exactly double the viewing surface of a 65 inch HDTV.

You can adjust the drop height of the viewable area with some patient trial and error. After that, you don't need to change it again. The screen surface is cinema white with a gain of 1.1 and a viewing angle up to 80 degrees. The screen image is nothing short of excellent. I am very pleased. I don't feel the need to ever go to a movie theater again.

I am sort of a perfectionist and it took me longer than most people to install it. I wanted to take my time to plan the exact location of this 92 inch powered screen. My media room is on my second floor and it has a large open space to the stairs. So there is a lot of ambient light during the day. I placed this screen such that it drops in front of my 65 inch Panasonic plasma television so that I can wait until after dark to use the projector.

I installed electrical outlets in my ceiling for both the projector and powered screen so that there are no electrical cords showing. All my wiring is neatly built into the walls and ceiling including speaker wires and jacks. I have excellent access in my attic because I purposely installed only fiberglass batting and no blown-in insulation. I waited for a cool day last week to work in my attic - still hot in Houston.

After that, it was a short duration brute force effort with my brother and wife to help visually spot the location and hand tools to us. My brother and I are both career electrical engineers with considerable experience in home remodeling. We used two tall stepladders. I have lots of hand tools, so that was not an issue. It went very smoothly because I planned the mounting task for several days to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. If you really think about the project in advance and plan it in detail, it's not such a big a job to do it right the first time. But you can't depend upon the included directions.

SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizing Machine with Respironics Heated Hose Adapter
Offered by Patient Sleep Supplies
Price: $299.00
6 used & new from $299.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Bad Odor, October 9, 2014
I could not take the odor left behind in my ResMed S9 hose and face mask. I followed all the instructions and used their supplied liquid soap to clean my hose and face mask before I put my face mask in the The SoClean 2 CPAP sanitizing machine. I didn't detect any ozone leakage, but several hours later when I put on my face mask, there was a very strong pungent odor. I am usually mostly insensitive to odors, but this was so bad I couldn't keep the mask on my nose more than a couple of seconds. So I decided to just let the ResMed S9 CPAP machine blow it out for an hour or so.

When I returned and opened the door to the master bedroom, the entire room stank so much my wife lit a scented candle to mask the odor. I tried this for two nights and the odor was unabated. So that was enough for me. Maybe it does kill all the germs, but I can't stand the lingering odor. It has been a week now since I last used it and there is still some residual odor. I connected an older hose and my current mask and I still had and there was no odor coming from the old hose. But there was still some odor coming from my current mask which had been exposed to the ozone. I connected an old mask and there was no odor present. So my CPAP machine itself is not the source of the odor. It comes from some chemical reaction with ozone in the hose and face mask. Take notice they use the term activated oxygen to avoid using the more commonly used word called ozone. I used to design ozone equipment for the semiconductor industry. I know what ozone can do and how it smells. This odor is a result of a chemical reaction with something inside the lining of the hose and face mask.

Otherwise, this is very well designed machine. Reluctantly, I returned it. I really wish it had worked.

Brother PTD400AD Label Maker With AC Adapter
Brother PTD400AD Label Maker With AC Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Highly Featured Label Maker, October 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bought a predecessor model back in January 2008 and it is still working great. So I am already quite familiar with the general features of this newer model. This new model has a considerably more stylish appearance and more features as you would expect. The lettering is so extremely crisp with this model - not to imply that my older model wasn't so good. Although there is an AC adapter included, I always use NiMH rechargeable batteries for increased portability.

There is one thing that is missing from the newer model that I found indispensable. The old model had a tool that looked like a giant plastic needle with an eyelet that helped strip off the backing of a newly printed label. Without it, I always had difficulty getting an edge started to remove the backing material. It was a real time saver. Also my older Brother PT-1950 P-touch PC-Ready Labeler had a USB port for additional creative work. The newer doesn't have any computer connectivity, but it may be that it has all those features built into the label maker. I'm still in the discovery phase to learn all the new features. I wish the display had better contrast and resolution. And I wish the display was larger as well, but at least it is bigger in the vertical direction than my older model.

I use labels for a lot of things. I label my luggage for travel overseas with contact information in case it got lost. I label a lot of expensive items that I carry with me on trips such as cell phones and laptop computers. In my home, I label the contents of boxes to know what is inside without opening them. I label the wires from my home theater amplifier to make it easy to reconnect. The applications are virtually endless. The labels have good adhesive, but can be removed if necessary - no residual glue that I've ever noticed.

Sleep Mask sleeping Eye Shades Eye Blinders
Sleep Mask sleeping Eye Shades Eye Blinders
Offered by honesttester
Price: $2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Eye Mask, October 3, 2014
I have been using the Dream Essentials Contoured Sleep Mask since late 2007 and didn't think there could ever be a better Eye mask on the market. But this Sleep Mask I got today is a better one for me. It is a little larger than the Dream Essentials sleep mask. It covers my eyes and upper face very well and blocks out light almost entirely. All I can see is a very tiny slit of light under my eyes if I purposely look downward. Otherwise, it is a total blackout.

I've got a rather big nose and a large head to go with it, so I was pleasantly surprised it fit so well. However, the elastic is a little too tight and not adjustable. Hopefully it will stretch out eventually. I got reasonably adjusted to it after wearing it a few minutes. I wear a size 7½ hat. My wife is 5' 2" tall and it fits her well.

This eye mask is hemmed along the edges whereas the Dream Essentials has no hem at all. The contoured part above my eyes is bigger and deeper with this mask. The padded areas are about the same as each other, but this eye mask feels slightly thicker than the Dream Essentials mask. It might just be manufacturing variance.

Pros: Hemmed edges and overall construction
Con: Tight non-adjustable elastic band

This comes directly from China and it took 13 calendar days to arrive - absolutely worth the wait. I plan to buy another one as a backup. It's easy to lose things on long Atlantic or Pacific flights. I use eye masks to take naps as well. I have a lot of neck pain and do not get enough sleep at night.

Kobi Electric  K0M4 10-watt (60-Watt) Omni Directional A19 LED 2700K Warm White Light Bulb, Dimmable
Kobi Electric K0M4 10-watt (60-Watt) Omni Directional A19 LED 2700K Warm White Light Bulb, Dimmable
Price: $21.77

5.0 out of 5 stars And the Winner Is Clearly Kobi, October 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I finally got enough of this style LED light bulb to put above the mirror in one of my bathrooms. Including this Kobi LED lamp, I installed three LED lights. All claimed about the same lumens and wattage and all claimed to be a replacement for 60 Watt incandescent bulbs. Two LED lights were yellow or about 2700 degrees on the Kelvin scale and one was true white at about 5000 degress Kelvin. It was an easy win for Kobi. It's light output was clearly the most by considerable margin. So I installed one of the old 60 Watt incandescent light bulbs next to the LED lamps to see just how well these claims are for being the equivalent of 60 Watts incandescent. Well, the old fashioned incandescent lamp is still by considerable margin the brightest without question - not much of a contest, but not too bad either.

Personally, yellow lights such as 2700 Kelvins are not my favorite in the color spectrum. I prefer natural sunlight color myself - in the 5000 degree Kelvin range or at least something closer to white lighting. There are places that yellow is still preferable such as a reading a book under a lamp, for example. This label of warm white is ridiculous - it's just plain yellow. I don't see any white light - pure marketing hype or in polite conversational terms, not the truth.

I wish the manufacturers would make these LED light bulbs smaller. I don't understand the need to copy the size of incandescent light bulbs. In fact, this Kobi LED bulb was actually larger than the incandescent bulb it replaced. I have a lot of overhead lights in my house and I haven't found a LED light bulb yet that will fit into them. I have purchased very small and very cheap CFC lights and I can fit two of them in my overhead light fixtures and get quite adequate lighting.

LED lights are finally becoming competitive with incandescent and CFL - expect for price. But the prices have come down a lot in recent time. For now I believe CFL is still the most economical form or lighting in a home and definitely brighter, too.

My house is virtually a three way split between LED, CFL and traditional incandescent lighting. My garage door opener has LED lights as well as the outdoor lights lighting the driveway and in my kitchen and dining room. I use CFL spotlights in my living room, media room and the bedrooms. LED light bulbs are what I have been using for replacements for the past year or more.

Some people have a phobia of mercury in CFL lights, but the amount is very little - about enough to cover the tip of a ball point pen in most cases. Mercury thermometers have mercury in far greater amounts. General Electric makes some CFL lights with no mercury at all. Mercury as a pure liquid element isn't especially harmful - assuming you don't ingest it or sniff its vapors, but some oxides and other compounds are very toxic. You'll probably consume far more mercury in the form of methlymercury inside your body by eating shell fish or other bottom feeding sea food or large fish that have lived long enough to accumulate more mercury. Know your poisons. Sadly, I don't eat fish anymore.

Benson Mills Victorian Round Placemats, Black, Set of 4
Benson Mills Victorian Round Placemats, Black, Set of 4
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Functional Placemats - Hold Up Well, September 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bought a set of 6 of these round placemats in June 2012 and they still look like new. I bought a red color at that time. We use them regularly - almost daily. I'm very pleased to get the black color this time because the black color blends into our dark colored granite countertop. We have barstools at the kitchen counter and these make great placemats on which to eat breakfast. They clean up easily and they keep their appearance quite well. When I first got them, I thought it was a solid material, but the material is actually a tightly woven spiral rope material. I just put this placemat under the water faucet and the water puddles a fair amount before it wicks and water starts to drip through the woven material. So if you spill something on it, you have a window of time before it soaks through. Of course, thick gravy or the likes won't soak through at all. So far, they have cleaned up nicely and contained more than a few spills.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20