Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Woody White > Reviews

Woody White's Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Woody White "woody white" RSS Feed (Wilmington, NC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Foundation
The Foundation
Price: $5.99
124 used & new from $0.26

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant diamond in the rough world of commercialized country music, March 25, 2009
This review is from: The Foundation (Audio CD)
I think I'm a pretty tough critic, not easy to please. But this CD is truly amazing. Every song is original, fun, up-lifting, with groovy melodies and unique story-telling. I'll confess, I bought it only because I like the "Chicken Fried" song on the radio. But I was shocked at how good this music is.
I had never heard of Zac Brown, but based on the depth and quality of his music-making, I think we will be hearing a lot from him in the future. The ingredients in his music are well-balanced and tasty; a mix of country, bluegrass, reggae, southern-rock, and a dash of mountian-hillbilly.
Really, I cannot imagine that you will not love this CD, especially as Spring is upon us and you're itching to get outdoors. Click on "Toes" - listen, love it, and then buy it. You will be glad you discovered them and you'll want to share it with your friends, as you head out to the lake, beach, pond, wherever, this summer. ENJOY IT!

Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $24.44
93 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, January 22, 2007
This review is from: Taylor Swift (Audio CD)
On a 2 hour trip recently, I heard an interview with Taylor Swift on XM radio. I had never heard of her, or her music but liked the songs they chose for the short show and enjoyed hearing about her (short!) life in music. She writes, sings and plays on her first CD release, and to me, she is more talented and has a better voice than many single female artists out there right now.

So I bought the CD and was pleasantly surprised at her writing and singing talents. I believe it is a safe bet that she will be around for quite a while. Great 1st record!

The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town
The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town
by John Grisham
Price: $22.23
1097 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Grisham Shines a bright beam of justice, January 17, 2007
The Indigo Girls sing in a song "the evil ego, and the vice of there ever anything else that makes us take our separate sides?" Grisham's account of the wrongfully prosecuted case of Ron Williamson and Dennis Fritz reminds me of this great quote by Emily and Amy.
I have practiced criminal defense law for many years in state and federal court and can say that I have seen a lot of good AND bad work done by our public servants. I am certain that I have made mistakes on my side of the courtroom. But, even with what I have seen in the name of 'justice', I was stunned at how bad this prosecution and law enforcement behaved in this shameful episode. Sure, many of the people we represent are, in fact, guilty. Everyone in the courthouse knows this to be true. But with the backdrop of the presumption of innocence, too often prosecutors and cops -even judges - ignore this presumption and just assume that because so many people are guilty of their crimes, they all must be.
Grisham paints a vivid, frightful, and stunning picture of the fragility of our legal system. Armed with the truth and the facts, he describes how the prosecutors and cops almost killed 2 innocent men because of the inertia that resulted from ego, arrogance and pride. It is a wakeup call to all those who may one day serve on a jury that your function is not that of a rubber stamp, but is instead a sacred duty to scrutinize and question everything you hear - from both sides. It is perhaps the most important function of our civic responsibility and Grisham accurately describes what happens when we accept things at face value instead of using our talents as discerning beings to critically question what we see and hear.
But while I was reading the remarkable tale of Ron Williamson, I could not help but think about all those other cases out there - the routine felonies and non-violent crimes. What about the rush to judgment that exists in many of those cases?
Barry Scheck's Innocence Project is an exemplary outfit that saves lives. And in his successes, he has exposed fundamental flaws in our system that are systemic and at the non-capital level, result in turning some innocent people into felons and ruining their futures. If DNA has exonerated 190 people through Scheck's group, how many indigent defendants are serving time - or have been denied a future - because of the same arrogance exhibited by the DA and cops in Grisham's story? Something to think about.
I guess it goes without saying that admitting you got the wrong guy never got a cop promoted or a DA re-elected.
Grisham made me stop and ponder these questions, and that made it a great book for me. What a great job and public service. Thanks John.

Elizabethtown (Widescreen Edition)
Elizabethtown (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Orlando Bloom
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $9.69
219 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, entertaining movie, October 30, 2006
Most movies are not really supposed to imitate real life, and ELizabethtown doesn't. The contrived storyline of life and death and success and failure all happening simultaneously, is not believable and really distracts from the movie, overall.

BUT...having said all that, why do we watch movies? Basically for entertainment and escapism, and this movie scores on both. It is safe to say that none of the stars were robbed by not winning an Oscar for their performances. But they all seemed to have real chemistry, many of the lines were pithy and memorable, and the back-stories were entertaining, and even funny.

If you want to watch a good movie for a couple of hours, and laugh a little, Elizabethtown is great. If nothing else, the "Ruckus" reunion scene where they play Lynnard Sknard's "Freebird" is worth the time!

Overall, I would say 'pretty good" movie.

Live at Fenway Park (with bonus DVD)
Live at Fenway Park (with bonus DVD)
Price: $24.41
48 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars He only gets better with age!!, November 19, 2005
If you have never been to a Buffett concert, the dvd and these 2 cd's will give you an idea of what you've missed! If you are a devoted attendee, then you will be able to re-live the great moments with this collection. Jimmy brings together great complilations of some older songs that have not made his set list in recent years, while weaving in some of his better, newer songs.

The behind the scenes dvd is also can really see his excitement in playing a venue like Fenway, and his enthusiasm comes across so much more in this live album than those he put out from the "Tiki Tour" last year. They were good, but this set is a must have for the real Buffett fan. It is the perfect follow-up to such greats as "Live by the Bay" in the 80's, "Feeding Frenzy" in '91, and "Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays" from 2000.

If you are a fan, it will exceed your expectations. If you are not yet a fan, you will be once you hear this!

Philips PET710 7-Inch Widescreen Portable DVD Player
Philips PET710 7-Inch Widescreen Portable DVD Player
Offered by The Chicago Connection
Price: $179.95
5 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid friendly, and great for trips!!, November 18, 2005
With the dual headphone jacks, and the bright picture, this is an excellent portable player to take in the car, on the plane or to have in the hotel room. It is easy to pack, fits in most medium sized camera bags, and is very easy to use. Both our 4 and 5 year old use its features without our help. Great product.

Double Tap (Paul Madriani Novels)
Double Tap (Paul Madriani Novels)
by Steve Martini
295 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtroom Questioning right on...plot, a little far-fetched, October 20, 2005
Martini writes a great book to take on a plane or short vacation. The "government conspiracy" plot is a little overused these days, however, the courtroom drama and "freebies" that trial attorneys get during the ebb and flow of witness testimony leads me to believe that Martini spends a lot of time in the courtroom listening.

I've sat in the defense counsel chair many times, waiting for the magic moment in testimony, to pounce. But as Martini ably points out, most of the luck and reward comes from the preparation, the thinking, the brainstorming, the responses you get when a subpeona is served. Overall, an entertaining and well-written book.

Swarovski Optik SLC (10x42) Binocular
Swarovski Optik SLC (10x42) Binocular

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing images - worth every penny!, October 20, 2005
Having researched a lot of binoculars in the last few months, I can say that the Swarovski 10x42WB is the best there is out there. Some will argue that Leica is better, and I would respond by saying its a matter of preference, really. These are, in my opinion, amoung the best in the world. You will see images early in the morning or late in the evening that you would miss with ordinary, cheaper binoculars. The special coating allows for better distinguishing between shadows and movements of birds, deer, wildflife in general. Plus, this model is very compact and fits nicely under your seat, or in your backpack.

I would HIGHLY reccomend these binoculars. They are of such good quality, that your grandchildren will be using them years from now!!

Crash (Widescreen Edition)
Crash (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Don Cheadle
Price: $5.00
402 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Think while you watch!, September 29, 2005
This review is from: Crash (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
CRASH is a smashing success because it defies convention. While it does have a lot of 'Star Power', the circumstantial symetry with the interwoven characters briliantly distracts the viewer from the actors and instead focuses on provoking thought.
This movie will make you question your own firmly held biases and prejudices, and will leave you re-evaluating your own view of the world. In our day-to-day lives we may not see the violence and concentrated social collisions that are exhibited in CRASH. But intuitively, we know what these extreme examples illustrate; the real examples of how our stereotyping of individuals may cloud reality.
We become so overwhelmingly devoted to what our eyes and ears tell us about someone - their skin color, their accent, the kind of car they drive - that we fail to see through the surface to who that person may actually be. Or, as this movie so aptly points out, maybe we had it right the first time; maybe the stereotypes we hold are there because they actually do represent reality.
This is the point of the movie; the conflict between what we think we know about people versus the fact that sometimes our first impressions completely miss the mark.

The bottom line on this movie is that - while it is immensely entertaining, it is also deeply thoughtful and expressive of the hope for the goodness we know exists in even the most depraved persons in our society.

Gretchen Wilson: Here for the Party
Gretchen Wilson: Here for the Party
Price: $5.79
344 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars REAL COUNTRY, NO UNWARRANTED HYPE!, September 25, 2005
Gretchen really shines in this debut album. The mud on her boots in the picture speaks volumes for how her songs convey her real, country background. She does not try to be a country beauty (even thought she is!), nor does she try to please everybody by being political. Her music on this CD is just good 'ole down home harmonies, hard rockin' party songs, and real southern Americana. ALL country fans will like this CD, and those who do not consider themselves country fans, will undoubtedly find their feet tappiing when they hear "Redneck Woman."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4