Profile for Lonnie E. Holder > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 502

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" RSS Feed (Columbus, Indiana, United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Amazon Gift Card - E-mail - Special Thanks (Animated) [American Greetings]
Amazon Gift Card - E-mail - Special Thanks (Animated) [American Greetings]
Price: $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient for all Occasions, July 22, 2014
We have given Amazon gift cards many times for multiple occasions, including Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, or as a thank you gift. Amazon gift cards may seem as though they are an "easy" gift taking little thought. Conversely, we have always had positive feedback from every person receiving one, because an Amazon gift card gives the receiver nearly unlimited choices, and can be combined with other gift cards to get something nicer than just one gift alone would typically provide. Sometimes that perfect gift is hard to find. When it is, get an Amazon gift card in an array of denominations. Everyone will find something to buy on Amazon!

Enjoy!

Cafe Altura Freeze Dried Instant Coffee, 3.5 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Cafe Altura Freeze Dried Instant Coffee, 3.5 Ounce (Pack of 2)
Price: $22.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Hit, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Generally, we drink brewed coffee. However, there are times when a cup will do the trick and we want to avoid brewing a pot of coffee, especially since we do not use a single-cup brewer. Taster's Choice has typically been the instant we use, but this coffee seemed like it was worth a shot. This coffee was instantly loved.

The two people who drink Taster's Choice in my house both became instant fans of this coffee. I heard terms like "high quality," "great taste," "better than Taster's Choice," and "it tastes expensive." I was somewhat surprised by the praise, mostly because I thought all freeze-dried coffees were similar. It appears I was terribly wrong.

I should also note that Folger's instant is another brand we buy, and this coffee also beat Folger's easily. While the fresh-brewed coffee was the clear winner over the instants, Café Altura Freeze Dried Instant Coffee was a winner among instants.

Please be aware that this coffee is relatively mild. I believe Café Altura is coming out with a bolder coffee, but in the meantime, try this coffee only if you like a medium or mild roast.

Rarely do I hear a lot of praise for coffee. I got it the first day we received samples. This coffee is a tasty keeper if you like instant coffee.

Enjoy!

AmazonBasics Wood Suit Hangers (Set of 16)
AmazonBasics Wood Suit Hangers (Set of 16)
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wood Is too Rough, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have lots of wooden hangers. When I say lots, I mean several hundred. Most of these hangers have a beautiful, smooth, cherry finish. We decided to give these hangers a chance because we like wooden hangers, and thought the "basic" option might be a cost-effective alternative to the hangers we had. Well, they are cost-effective, but maybe not what we want for some of our clothes.

The hangers seem sturdy and well-constructed. There is a plastic piece over the cross-bar for pants. Notches in the tops of the hangers are available for hanging clothes with straps. All the basic features you would expect from a wooden hanger are there. The problem is with the finish of the wood.

The wood is relatively rough. Sadly, the wood is so rough that some fabrics like to stick or get caught on the wood. The roughness is unlikely to rip gaping holes in your clothes, but we are worried that individual threads could be caught and start to pull, which could damage the fabric. Of course, tough fabrics like denim or heavy cottons are unlikely to be damaged by the roughness, but the moment your forget and put a silk shirt or fine wool pants on the hanger, if something were to happen, you would be very annoyed, or perhaps even angry.

I guess "basic" means "sanding to a smooth finish is not included." These hangers are unlikely to be one of our future purchases just because of our perceived risk of damaging threads. The hangers we have are now sequestered in a closet we typically do not use. We will have to see if they return from oblivion at some point.

Good luck!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 5:11 PM PDT

Tub O Towels TW40-SS Stainless Steel Cleaning, Polishing, and Protecting Wipes (Tub of 40 Wipes)
Price: $11.48
4 used & new from $10.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Polishing; Cleaning, not so much..., June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have multiple stainless steel appliances. All of them have a "brushed" finish as opposed to being shiny. We have had issues with fingerprints and smudges, and trying to keep the finish looking good. The good news is that if you want to make your stainless steel appliances look pretty, these will do the trick. If you are looking for heavy duty cleaning, go for the soap and water first.

Generally, our appliances get cleaned regularly. When I say regularly, I mean any time we see food, fingerprints, etc. Our appliances typically do not get all that dirty, unless food splatters. So our issue is not cleanliness so much as polish. After we clean the refrigerator, the stove, etc., it may be clean, but cleaning leaves streaks on the stainless steel. Historically, we have used stainless steel polish to make the surfaces look uniform. Of course, stainless steel polish comes with all sort of warnings because the primary ingredients are toxic, and spraying these in your kitchen with food about might be something you prefer to avoid. You probably do not want the chemicals in these wipes in your food either, but at least you are not spraying the chemicals in the wipes into the air.

We wanted to try these wipes for the same purpose we use stainless steel polish, and they do that task, polishing, fairly well. These wipes will not remove hard water, but we have found through experience that we have to wipe water off the refrigerator immediately to keep from having hard water spots. Yes, it's a pain to do that, but it is the only sure-fire way to prevent water spots. Hard water can be really tough to remove from stainless steel. The wipes are only okay, at best, in removing dried food (water and a dish rag are much better, in our opinion). I am not sure how much protection the wipes provide, and do not have a good measurement or observation regarding protection.

If you want something that will do some light cleaning along with polishing of stainless steel, these wipes could be for you. My wife likes them over stainless steel polish, which she said can go places she does not want the spray to go. If you want something to remove dried food, or something more challenging, there are likely other, better options.

Enjoy!

Tide Plus A Touch of Downy HE Liquid Laundry Detergent, April Fresh Scent, 92 Fl Oz
Price: $9.87

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Tide - Little More to Say, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product contains lots of awesome reviews, and there is really little more than I can add, so I will make this short.

- Tide remains one of the best detergents for cleaning clothes. Clothes come out clean. The odor is relatively mild, and likely for most people, is pleasant.
- Tide seems to have perfected its formula for front-loading machines. Take care with the amount you use. It is easy to use too much. Indeed, it is easier to use too much than too little.
- Yes, Tide is probably going to be more expensive on Amazon than in your local discount store. However, it is tough to beat the convenience of having delivery to your door, especially when you have mobility issues or no car. Choose your battles, as they say.
- Okay, detergents generally are not environmentally sound. But, an HE machine uses less water, less energy, and less detergent than a top loader. The Tide bottle appears to contain some recycled plastics; hurray for that. If you have to have a detergent, and the so-called "environmentally friendly" detergents are not getting your clothes clean, then go HE and get Tide. Or alternate between your "environmentally friendly," not-so-stain-and-dirt-removing detergent and Tide.

We have always liked Tide. It is one of the best, and perhaps the best washing machine detergents that exist. Tide seemed to lead the crowd when it came to adapting to front-loading machines. Tide gets our clothes clean, without damaging them. What else could you want?

Enjoy!

Wonder Works Tub O Towels Heavy-Duty 10" x 12" Size Multi-Surface Cleaning Wipes, 90 Count Per Canister
Price: $12.48
25 used & new from $12.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Remove Grease and Oil, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of the problems with cleaning up grease and oil is that you wipe and throw away, and wipe and throw away, repeat until complete, or use a soapy rag or sponge, rinse, re-soap, and repeat. With these towels, the grease comes up quickly, and you can fold the towels, which are a reasonably large size, a couple of times to remove oil, grease, certain marks (on walls & floors), quickly and efficiently. I would say that one of these towels could replace up to four paper towels in trying to remove a large quantity of grease and oil, thanks to the sturdiness of the towels and the cleanser that moistens them.

The only downside to these towels, which is relatively minor, is that they are not for reflective surfaces. Avoid using them on glass, including mirrors, and plastic. You may have some challenges on highly polished metal as well, though I did not try them on such.

A great general purpose cleaner, especially where oil and grease are involved.

Enjoy!

Tech Armor HTC One Premium Anti-Glare/Anti-Fingerprint Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [3-Pack]
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $5.95
2 used & new from $2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & Effective, June 9, 2014
I was somewhat concerned about installing this screen protector because of the horror stories I have heard about bubbles under the screen protector. I was surprised that my following the steps precisely, my Tech Armor screen protector went on easily with a couple of minor, easily removable, bubbles.

My HTC One was virtually brand new when I got the screen protectors, which likely helped. I followed the steps somewhat exactly, though I used a lens cleaner on my screen first, followed by the soft cloth, and then the bubble tape. Oh, and I washed my hands also. I figured any way I could keep stuff off my screen would be good.

After the prep steps, I pealed the protective backing from the screen protector, aligned it with the sides of my phone, and to my surprise, it felt like it sucked the screen protector down onto the screen. I had a couple of minor bubbles, easily removable with the bubble card.

My screen protector installed so readily that I was disappointed when my wife's iPhone 5C screen protector did not install as easily (a different brand) Instead, it got a LOT of bubbles under it, which I thought was annoying. Next time we need screen protectors for the iPhone 5C, I am going to try Tech Armor for that phone.

Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo, 12 Ounce
Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo, 12 Ounce
Price: $3.96
10 used & new from $3.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have noticed that shampoos get their share of five star reviews and one star reviews. I have come to the conclusion that everyone has a certain body chemistry that works well with certain kinds of shampoo, and not so well with others. Having said that, this shampoo got rave reviews at our house.

It seems that the three people who have used it remark on the way it leaves their hair feel, along with the pleasant smell. Indeed, no one wanted to give this shampoo up to try another kind (may I have that one back now, please?). Yes, we have tried many different brands and types of shampoos, but there is something about the way this one works on our hair that makes us want to jump in the shower for a quick shampoo.

I wish I could quantify or explain better how this shampoo works for us, but I have yet to put my finger on it. In the meantime, I can see this shampoo will be a popular buy when we need more shampoo.

Enjoy!

Suave Professionals Natural Infusion Macadamia Oil and White Orchid Shampoo, 12.6 Ounce
Price: $2.88
15 used & new from $2.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick the One That Works for You, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have noticed that shampoos get their share of five star reviews and one star reviews. I have come to the conclusion that everyone has a certain body chemistry that works well with certain kinds of shampoo, and not so well with others. Having said that, this shampoo seems like a very nice one for us.

We like the scent and the way it lathers in use. We absolutely love how thick and rich the shampoo feels. Indeed, our regular shampoo almost feels watery in comparison. Yes, this shampoo also cleans well, and seems as though it leaves our hair feeling moist and thick, along with the great scent.

You may almost feel as though you are at an expensive tropical spa when you use this shampoo!

Summer Infant EasyStore Comfort Tub, Pink
Summer Infant EasyStore Comfort Tub, Pink
Price: $24.99
13 used & new from $20.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally A Pretty Good Tub, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The biggest advantages to this tub are that it is foldable to be portable, and when folded, it is easy to store. Even though it can be folded for storage or travel, it is very stable when placed on a flat surface, and seems relatively durable.

Admittedly, the need for a flat surface can be a bit of a pain. We have used baby tubs in the past in conjunction with the kitchen sink. Forget about that with this tub.

The inflatable bottom of the tub replaces the sling of other baby bathtubs. While the inflatable portion is slippery when wet (duh), babies seem to like it - or at least, they are comfortable with it, perhaps more so than with the sling configuration. I do have a vague concern about puncturing the plastic, though this tub does come with a repair kit. I should note that the plastic seems fairly thick, so it would require something relatively sharp or heavy to puncture the plastic. The major downside to the inflatable part is blowing it up, which means it takes a bit of time for setup.

I should also point out that this tub is colorful and pretty. I have no idea what babies think while they are lying in it, but they generally seem happy. I should also point out that this tub adapts to a growing baby, so you may use it until your child is toddler age, and perhaps a bit more.

This tub does one thing really well. It folds for storage and for road trips. After that, it seems like a nice, sturdy tub. It may cost a bit more than comparable tubs, but you get the advantage of being compact, which can be great for apartments and going to grandma's house. It is pretty, and easy to clean, though setup can take a bit of time. Overall, I think this one ends up with a lot of advantages and relatively few disadvantages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20