Profile for Lonnie E. Holder > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 788

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" RSS Feed (Columbus, Indiana, United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Minor's Sauce, Thai-style Red Curry, 72 oz
Minor's Sauce, Thai-style Red Curry, 72 oz
Price: $26.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Flavors, but negligible hot spice, May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We are big fans of Sriracha sauce, and we were running low, so we decided to try this allegedly Thai-style red curry sauce. I will admit to a bit of disappoint that the chemical heat was negligible. After all, anything that is labeled Thai and curry seems like it would be at least somewhat spicy. Not this sauce.

What this sauce does have is a solid tomato and vinegar flavor. Allegedly, this sauce also coconut sauce, but I was unable to detect the flavor. I put a goodly quantity of this sauce into tortellini soup along with some Sriracha sauce, and the result was pretty tasty. So I my thought is that this sauce is probably not going to do the trick by itself, but with some more stuff, like some onions, garlic, and hot peppers or Sriracha sauce, it could be part of a good dish.

This sauce is part of a series of sauces by Minor's, which is owned by Nestle. I think it would be cool to try more of the sauces. In fact, Nestle should consider making a sampler of the sauces so that people can figure out which sauces they need for different purposes. Until then, I guess we'll try to use this sauce until it runs out.

Enjoy!

Scott-Vincent Borba Anti-Fatigue Invisible Corrective Concealer Anti-Wrinkle CC Cream, 01 Fair/Light, 0.7 oz.
Price: $35.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers Minor Blemishes Well, Looks Good, and You Get a Lot, May 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Given that I am a token male in my family (well, I have a son, but he has a family of his own), I gave this concealer to the fairer (and significantly cuter) family members to test. The verdict was that this concealer had a great color and conceals minor blemishes well. I heard that both ladies that tried it liked the way it went on to their faces, and how other makeup could be used on top of the concealer.

While this concealer is a bit expensive, it is relatively reasonably priced as compared to many concealers you buy in makeup sections of high end department stores, and you get a relatively large amount of concealer. I admit that "large amount" for me is like a gallon. Apparently, makeup manufacturers believe in the theory that less is...well, less. Or about the amount that you can use before the concealer dries out beyond the ability to use it.

Okay, so the color is fine, it applies well, it conceals minor blemishes with a smooth finish, and you get a goodly quantity. It seems like this concealer is a good value and works for most people!

Enjoy!

Downy Fresh Protect 42 load In-Wash Odor Shield Beads, Fresh Blossom, 13.2 Ounce
Price: $13.99
8 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if it does anything for us., May 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My significant other just washed clothes and tried this product on every load. Frankly, I was not really all that impressed. For us, it seems like this product is a solution looking for a problem. On the other hand, we have never really had much of an odor problem with our clothes, and the only reason we wanted to try this product is that our daughter raves about it.

On the other hand, given that the product advertises that it neutralizes odors (I presume in a way that is similar to Febreze), if you have a pet, a child, or sports odors, this product could be one you would like to try. As I said earlier, our daughter, who has two pets and leads a much more active lifestyle, raves about the performance of this product, so perhaps she has the problem this product is trying to solve.

Tri-Lynx 00026W White 12-LED Light with Motion and Dusk/Dawn Sensor
Tri-Lynx 00026W White 12-LED Light with Motion and Dusk/Dawn Sensor
Price: $14.19
3 used & new from $13.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Install and Operate LED Light Unit, May 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a patio area without lights, which is also where we have our grill. I placed this LED light to shine into this area, set with motion sensing, and I love it. The only issue that I have is that the area is relatively large, and I really need more of these lights. I am going to purchase at least a couple more to increase the area of coverage and light intensity.

Installation is a breeze. Two screws hold a base plate to a wood post that is part of a covered area we have. Then the light unit slides into (and out from) the base plate.

In addition to the motion sense mode, which is only functional in low light conditions, there is a standard on position for continuous illumination.

The only unknown for me at this point is the longevity of the batteries. LED's are extremely efficient, so I hope they last a long time. Only time will tell.

If you are looking for additional illumination without the ability to an electrical connection, this LED light could be perfect. I have even used it as a flashlight be sliding it from its base. The twelve lights provide a relatively large amount of light, and if you need more light, buy more of these units.

OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Crisper Filter, One Pack
OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Crisper Filter, One Pack
Price: $5.99
3 used & new from $5.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying it, but not sure it works yet., April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Have you ever purchased a product that you were not sure about? That is the situation with this refrigerator crisper filter. We are using it in one of our crisper drawers, but we are not sure how much of an effect it is happening on our vegetables. While we will keep using the filter to see if we can figure out whether the filter is effective, the review has to be done now because of Vine's rules.

The theory seems sound. Absorb ethylene gas that causes ripening, which theoretically reduces the rate of ripening and slows over-ripening, which we see as rotting. The question is whether the absorption of the gas in a refrigerator crisper changes the rate of ripening all that much. The answer is that I do not know. The filter sits in the crisper, hopefully absorbing evil ethylene gas, but how will I know for sure? The veggies sit in the drawer, not rotting, but then again, that is mostly what they do anyway, unless we wait too long to eat them. But, hope springs eternal. We will keep using this filter until it hits its expiration date and see what happens. Who knows, it might really work!

Mr. Coffee SKX23 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black
Mr. Coffee SKX23 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black
Price: $39.94
27 used & new from $20.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a fine, basic, fully functional coffee maker., April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I ever write a review, I check the one and two star reviews to see whether there is something I might have missed. In the case of this coffee maker, the issue appears to be reliability. Of course, I have to balance my review by what I see, and what I see appears to be a basic, full-function coffee maker that works well. Ultimately, you, the reader, has to determine whether any product is right for you.

This coffee maker has all the features you would like to have in a coffee maker. It has a two-hour shutoff, which is great when you run off to the store or to work, and forget to turn off the coffee maker. It also has a timer, which is pretty much a must for making sure you have coffee waiting for you in the morning. After all, who has time to make coffee in the morning after waking up. Then there is the little valve that lets you pour a cup of coffee while brewing is in progress, which is great for those times when you forget to use the timer, but you really want a cup of coffee before you head out to work, or wherever. In addition, this coffee maker has dual windows to see how much water you have placed into the reservoir, a removable basket for cleaning or adding coffee, and a convenient cord storage compartment for minimizing the amount of cord lying on the counter.

The coffee from this coffee maker comes out nicely hot. We have had some coffee makers recently that did not seem to get as hot as we would like. Our standard is a Waring coffee maker, and the temperature of the coffee in that coffee maker upon brewing is 177 degrees Fahrenheit, which is precisely the temperature of the coffee from this coffee maker. The flavor seems fine, as well.

While hardly a work of art, this coffee maker has a sort of functional attractiveness. It is colored black, which hides minor stains and matches just about anything. The coffee maker fits well with our other "functionally attractive" appliances on our counter.

The bottom line is that this coffee maker has all the basic functionality you would like to have from a coffee maker, including pause and serve and a timer. The coffee tastes fine, and it comes out hot. However, as I noted earlier, many reviewers have had issues with reliability, short term and long term. Since we have had this coffee maker less than a month, it is difficult to tell how reliable it is. If it dies on us sooner than expected, I will try to update my review. Until then, it seems like a perfectly fine coffee maker for home use.

OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Produce Keeper - Medium
OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Produce Keeper - Medium
Offered by The Kitchen Clique
Price: $19.99
10 used & new from $15.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, but not sure about extending food life., April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have mixed feelings about this product. On the plus side, the container is attractive, and keeps water from building up around produce, which can lead to early rotting. On the negative side, vegetables still seem to rot in the container about as fast as they would in conventional containers, though with a limited sample.

The container is very simple to use. Remove the carbon filter from the plastic package, snap off the sliding cover and position the carbon in the cover, and then snap the cover back on the container. Determine whether the sliding cover needs to be in the open or closed position, which is based on the type of fruit or vegetable, and move the cover to be open or closed. Put vegetables and/or fruit into the container, and place the lid on the container. Then, put the produce keeper in the refrigerator.

We typically get two or three weeks of life out of high-moisture vegetables, such as bell peppers, before they start to rot. We thought this produce keeper might help extend the life of bell peppers and tomatoes far longer than a conventional container. Unfortunately, about two weeks after putting vegetables into the container, we noticed that the bell peppers were starting to rot, which is about normal, and maybe even a little early.

Admittedly, there are many other fruits and vegetables to test, but our first test yielded a result that was very nearly the same as conventional containers. So, we are not impressed by the ability of the container to keep vegetables fresh for an extended length of time. We are even less impressed considering the present cost of the replaceable filters.

While the container is configured to keep fruits and vegetables separated from water, that same capability means that the container is larger than a conventional container that holds the same amount of fruits and vegetables. Thus, by using these containers, you ultimately end up with less storage volume in your refrigerator. On the other hand, you can remove the internal basket to increase the internal volume, though you lose any benefit with respect to air flow and separating food from water.

Given the beauty and quality of these produce keepers, I really wanted to give this product a five-star rating. However, the advertising for the product brags about the ability to keep food fresh longer than conventional containers. I was unable to prove that claim, which I consider a significant issue with the product. Conversely, if advertising did not proclaim the ability to keep food fresh longer, I would have rated the product higher, just for the beauty of the product. So, if you are looking for an attractive food storage container, independent of the claims of increased food longevity, then these containers could be for you. On the other hand, maybe you will have increased food life from your container.

Enjoy or good luck, depending on your expectations!

Ortho Weed B Gon MAX Weed Killer for Lawns Plus Crabgrass Control Ready-To-Use Trigger Spray, 1-Gallon

4.0 out of 5 stars but you are better to hit the crab grass when it is very ..., March 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have used Weed B Gon Max for years, and it does an adequate job of removing weeds, particularly broadleaf weeds. It does attack crab grass, but you are better to hit the crab grass when it is very young. Some non-broadleaf weeds Weed B Gon seems to struggle in killing, or does not kill at all.

The container with its hand sprayer is relatively convenient for spot removal of weeds. If you are treating your entire yard, you likely will want the bottles that attach to garden hose or something you can use in a spreader. It does take a while for the weeds to die, so be prepared for a wait of a few days to see any effect. Further, you may need to perform a follow up treatment of larger weeds to nail those weeds completely, particularly if it rains after application. While the Weed B Gon is not particularly affected by water after it dries, the weeds are nourished by the water and try to make a comeback if the Weed B Gon does not completely kill them.

If you have a large yard and are wandering around with a full bottle, it does get to be a bit bothersome to carry, particular when the bottle is near full and weighs close to 9 pounds. That does not seem like a lot, but try wandering around a half acre or more for an hour and you will find out how heavy 9 pounds is to carry in your hand.

While Weed B Gon is not perfect, it does kill dandelions and crab grass, along with an array of other weeds. It is always annoying to think the Weed B Gon is not working until you see the weeds wilting several days after application, which is when you figure out which weeds you failed to hit. Be prepared to make multiple runs at the weeds to get them all. The convenient sprayer is great for spot treatments, but get a different type of container for entire yards.

Artaste 48490 Vertical Rabbit Lever Style Corkscrew Kit with Foil Cutter
Artaste 48490 Vertical Rabbit Lever Style Corkscrew Kit with Foil Cutter
Price: $20.16
3 used & new from $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive Corkscrew - Easy to use once you figure out how to use it., March 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After having used this cork remover several times successfully, I have decided that I like it in comparison to the several other corkscrew devices that we own. I found it easy to insert the wire corkscrew by pushing the lever down, and a quick upward pull on the lever pulls the cork out, even on a reused cork. Removing the cork from the corkscrew turned out to be simple. While grasping the handle, pull the lever all the way up, and the cork slides off easily.

I was surprised when I opened to the package to find that the corkscrew is very large, and its storage container makes it even larger. The storage container does present a challenge when finding a place to put the corkscrew. I was also surprised that the corkscrew came without instructions. Well, it comes with a couple of pictures that are hardly definitive. As you can imagine, my first experience without instructions was decidedly unrewarding. However, with a bit of perseverance and a little experimentation, it turned out that removing a cork was very easy. All I had to do was position the corkscrew on the top of the bottle, squeeze the handle, and pull the lever down in a quick motion. Next, lift the lever with another swift motion, which in the case of the bottles I opened, was easily accomplished.

The first time I tried to remove the cork from the corkscrew I struggled. It turned out that I was making it harder than it should have been (credit the lack of instructions here). Removing the cork just requires squeezing the handle as though you were going to insert the corkscrew, and left the handle with a quick motion. The cork slid off the several times I have tried it, with very little force needed.

I also managed to mess up cutting the foil the first time I tried with the separate foil cutter. The second time I kept the cutter pressed against the bottle while lifting, and the cut foil came off easily.

This kit also includes a spare wire corkscrew. I removed the installed corkscrew to see how challenging it was to replace. Replacement does require a few minutes, so try not to break the installed corkscrew. Once again, clear instructions would be a big plus.

Lastly, though the display case is hardly beautiful, the corkscrew is attractive with heavy black plastic and satin metal finishes.

So, the pros include the ease of removing a corkscrew, both from the bottle and from the corkscrew. The cutter is large and makes quick work of foil, once you get the hang of using it.

The cons are the size, though there are other, similarly sized corkscrews, and the lack of instructions. Many people do not have room for such a large corkscrew. The lack of instructions is annoying. I would rather have clear instructions than trying to figure out how to make a device work.

So, should you purchase this corkscrew? It depends on whether you open a lot of wine. If you open a lot of bottles of wine, this corkscrew could be a great addition to your kitchen. If you are looking for something as a display item, the plastic container is not that great looking, so you will need to find a better way to display the corkscrew. Also, if you think the lack of instructions is going to be an issue, then you definitely do not want this corkscrew. We like this corkscrew, and it just became my favorite of the four that we now own because of the ease of pulling a cork, even a reused cork. I also like how easily the cork separates from the corkscrew, now that I know how to do it. Lastly, the corkscrew is attractive, though the display case is not.

Abandoned Mine
Abandoned Mine
DVD ~ Alexa Vega
Offered by SourceMedia
Price: $5.37
40 used & new from $1.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially Promising Premise, but Fails to Deliver the Scares, March 8, 2015
This review is from: Abandoned Mine (DVD)
Horror movies have a fairly high bar to reach just because there have been many, extremely good, horror movies. On the plus side, this movie tries to bring a little something new to the genre. On the negative side, this movie struggles to go into full-on scare mode. In total, this movie fails to make a solid horror-movie grade.

The basic story is right out of the teenage horror movie manual. A group of friends go visit an abandoned mine where people have died, on Halloween night, during a full moon. You know something horrible has to happen, right?

At first, it appears that this movie is more about a bunch of dumb teenagers, as they manage to get themselves trapped in the mine (oh, unexpected shock, yawn). Then one of the teenagers appears to have died in a horrible way. The level of tension ramps up, and I was prepared for a full-on scare as another person seems to fall victim to some unknown horror.

The only problem is that the horror failed to go to the next level. If there was a monster, why did the monster fail to make an appearance? If there was a ghost, why no visions of the ghost in conjunction with the terrible deaths and injuries? There is an answer to these questions, which I will not tell you because I am not out to spoil the plot. At a certain point in a horror movie, a director has to "seal the deal" to clinch the true horror of the movie. The "clincher" here develops so slowly that you see it coming from too far away. When the alleged "shocking moment" is revealed, I was starting to root for the moment to happen just to end the movie. SOMEBODY PLEASE GET ME OUT OF THIS MOVIE!

I have to give this movie a few points, or a star, for trying to bring a new twist to the horror movie genre. The problem is that trying and succeeding are two different things. On the other hand, if you are looking for a somewhat family friendly horror movie, i.e., minimal real blood and gore, no nudity, and the barest modicum of sexual tension, then this movie is one way to introduce novices to the horror movie genre. The problem is, of course, is that an introduction is hardly a substitute for the real thing.

The bottom line is that this movie has an interesting concept that the director misses pulling off. Young children might find this movie relatively scary, but only because they are unlikely to have been exposed to good, classic, serious horror. Experienced horror film fans will likely be intrigued at first, but any initial interest will eventually devolve into boredom, and the realization that the movie promises far more than it delivers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20