ARRAY(0x9e20a3c0)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 433

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lonnie E. Holder "The Review's the Thing" RSS Feed (Columbus, Indiana, United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Baxter of California Large Comb
Baxter of California Large Comb
Price: $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cadillac of Combs, February 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most people are familiar with combs sold by places that advertise "everyday discounts." What many people may not know is that much higher quality combs are available. The combs in "everyday discount" stores are typically mass-produced, injection molded plastic with sufficient post-production processing to make the comb usable, and little more. Generally, the combs from such places border on being disposable.

Finding high quality combs is relatively easy, but you have to seek them out. Specialty stores have them, and Amazon has them. Outside of a beauty shop or a barber shop, this comb from Baxter of California is the highest quality comb I have seen in some time. The comb feels solid and is extremely smooth. The ends of the teeth are smooth, as the molding seams have been carefully removed. The comb is beautiful; nearly a wok of art. Some people have called the coloration tortoise shell. Call it whatever you like, but call it beautiful.

Of course, the comb has an end with the teeth close together, and an end with the teeth further apart, depending on what kind of hair you have and the effect you are trying to achieve. So the comb is functional as well as beautiful. This comb is one that you will use for many years.

Does this comb have any downsides? As much as I would like to have this comb fit into my pocket, this comb was never intended to go into a pocket. It will fit into a handbag, or be a great asset in a beauty shop, in a dressing room, or a bathroom. Indeed, you may wish to place this comb in a place where it will be visible so that visitors can admire it.

Beauty, quality, and functionality all combined into one bundle. While this comb is more expensive than the bags of combs you can buy in discount stores, this comb will be something you will want to use for years, or even decades, and each time you use it you will marvel at how good it feels when you comb your hair. Conversely, if you ever lose this comb, you will miss it the first time you run a cheap comb through your hair.

Enjoy!

Sterling Silver Blue Diamond Accented Butterfly Pendant Necklace, 18"
Sterling Silver Blue Diamond Accented Butterfly Pendant Necklace, 18"
Price: $24.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive "Butterfly" with a Light Chain, January 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the "butterfly," even though it looks more like a dragonfly to me, and apparently to many other people. The butterfly is understated with relatively little sparkle, which could make it a better accessory in environments where lots of sparkle would be undesirably noticed. On the other hand, the butterfly is relatively inexpensive, so if lost it is hardly a catastrophe.

The potential loss of the butterfly seems to be a real risk to me because the chain is extremely light weight. I recommend replacing the chain if you plan to keep the butterfly as a permanent part of a jewelry collection. I have seen other, similar chains break so easily that the life of the chain may be measured in days. The chain likes to catch easily, and once caught, breakage is almost certain.

The two (per Amazon) stones in the butterfly are small, really small, diamonds, though the diamonds could probably have been eliminated without losing much in beauty and color. The metal of the butterfly is rhodium-plated silver. I presume the rhodium is to give the shine on the butterfly some durability.

As a relatively inexpensive accessory, this butterfly is fine. It is not something that is likely to last for very long, and unless the chain is replaced, it may be lost quickly. It is attractive, though it looks more like a dragonfly to me. As long as you keep these things in mind, this pendant necklace may be fine for your needs.

Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Infant Starter Gift Set
Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Infant Starter Gift Set
Price: $39.97
14 used & new from $39.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Array of Bottles for a New Baby, January 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This set is advertised as a gift set, and as such, it is probably almost perfect for any expecting parent that plans to bottle feed at some point. Since most parents eventually do bottle feed, this set contains a little of everything needed for a newborn or a child getting close to switching to a sipping cup. The gift set includes three small four ounce bottles with nipples, two larger nine ounce bottles with nipples, bottle covers, one silicone pacifiers, a formula dispenser, and a bottle brush. The variety of bottles in this set is so great that it might be worth buying two sets for a new or expecting mother.

The bottles are BPA-free plastic, which seems highly desirable given concerns about BPA. The nipples are supposedly similar to mother's breast, though I am unsure of how closely they mimic a mother's nipple. The bottle openings are large enough for the bottle cleaner to reach inside easily for more thorough cleaning. The pacifier is soft and likely you will want to get more of them.

One point that may be important is that Philips Avent bottles seem to be more widely available than some other BPA-free bottle brands. I have not conducted a survey of all bottle brands, but I have seen Philips Avent in a number of stores and that is the only name that I readily recognized.

I worried a bit about the longevity of plastic bottles and the associated nipples, but both seem quite durable. I suggest replacing the nipples periodically because it seems to me that the nipples lose some flexibility with time and heat. Perhaps it is perception, but new nipples seem softer and have a different appearance, to me, than nipples that have been clean multiple times.

One other issue that can arise is baby's preference. For reasons known only to babies, some babies have a dislike for certain nipples and a preference for other nipples. Regardless of the reason, it is nearly impossible to get a baby to like a nipple once they have shown that they do not want it. Once a baby refuses to accept a certain kind of nipple, replacements with a different kind are required and you may find your investment in a certain brand going to waste. My only suggestion is to try the bottles and nipples before investing in a significant quantity of any one brand.

These bottles represent the state-of-the-art in plastic bottle technology. These plastic bottles are BPA-free and appear to be quite sturdy. This gift set makes a great gift for any expecting or new mother, and can be an important part of making sure a new baby can be quickly and safely fed.

Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Essentials Gift Set
Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Essentials Gift Set
Price: $39.59
10 used & new from $32.14

4.0 out of 5 stars So Many Kinds of Baby Bottles and Nipples, January 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This set is advertised as a gift set, and as such, it is probably almost perfect for any expecting parent that plans to bottle feed at some point. Since most parents eventually do bottle feed, this set contains a little of everything needed for a newborn or a child getting close to switching to a sipping cup. The gift set includes a sterilizer intended to be placed in your microwave, two small four ounce bottles with nipples, two larger nine ounce bottles with nipples, bottle covers, two silicone pacifiers, and a bottle brush. The sterilizer makes a great place to keep the bottles after sterilizing, and the bottles are supposed to remain sterile for up to 24 hours if the lid of the sterilizer remains closed.

The bottles are BPA-free plastic, which seems highly desirable given concerns about BPA. The nipples are supposedly similar to mother's breast, though I am unsure of how closely they mimic a mother's nipple. The bottle openings are large enough for the bottle cleaner to reach inside easily for more thorough cleaning. The pacifiers are soft and are a big hit.

Enjoy!

LB1 High Performance Battery for New Laptop Dell Inspiron 15R 17R 14R 13R N5110 N5010 N4110 N4010 N7110 N3010 M5110 M4110 M501 M503 Series Laptop Notebook Computer PC - [6 Cells 11.1V 4400 mAh] - 18 Months Warranty
2 used & new from $23.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to Be Working Fine, January 21, 2014
This battery is an inexpensive alternative to genuine Dell brand batteries, which seem to run about five times more in price, at least. Generic or off-brand batteries seem to come in several varieties. The first, and best, kind is the battery that works well and continues to work well for months, preferably for at least a year. The second kind is that which refuses to charge, at all. The third kind is the battery that works well initially, but degrades rapidly, and by the time the battery is two or three months old, it is time to buy another.

I was pleased that my Dell computer recognized the battery immediately. I was also pleased that the battery seemed to charge normally, and my computer tells me that the battery will last for about three hours. Of course, I have only had the battery for a few weeks, so there is still time for the battery to go south. However, for now it is working well and I am quite pleased that I was able to obtain a cost-effective battery as opposed to one that cost well beyond $100. Assuming this battery continues to work well, I would be pleased to purchase another battery from the same source.

Rachael Ray Stoneware Pie Baker, 9-Inch, Orange
Rachael Ray Stoneware Pie Baker, 9-Inch, Orange
Price: $24.99
6 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Orange!, December 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a couple of other Rachel Ray pieces, and this one color coordinates with those pieces. Well, I do have a couple of purple pieces as well, but they are all colorful. Rachel Ray bake ware is almost an art form, and some of that art makes them slightly inconvenient to store. In the case of this pie baker, the handles stick out fairly far. Now, those same handles are a great help when removing the baker from the oven with oven mitts, or silicone oven mitts (I think those are Rachel Ray too), so I have to be fair to those handles.

The pie baker is stoneware and can handle oven temperatures up to 500 degrees F, making this thing fine for pies, casseroles, etc. Because the pie baker is beautiful, you may also use it as a serving dish or candy dish. Buy multiple pie bakers and put appetizers in them.

I have no idea how we started collecting Rachel Ray dishware, but we have and we will probably continue to get more from time to time. With the combination of utility and beauty the only downside to the dishware is its cost, which I think is a bit on the high side. Yes, the dishware is high quality, and beautiful, but the price can be steep, depending on when and where you purchase the dishware. You have to decide whether the quality and beauty is sufficient to justify the cost.

Crest + Oral-B Professional Gingivitis Kit, 1 Count
Crest + Oral-B Professional Gingivitis Kit, 1 Count
Price: $132.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Toothbrush; The Kit Is All Bonus, December 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like many other reviewers, I have been a long-time Philips Sonicare user. My most recent Sonicare finally died and I acquired this kit. Initially, I thought the Oral-B was less refined than the Sonicare because the vibrations seemed greater than the Sonicare and the Oral-B was noisier. Both toothbrushes work similarly, by vibrating portions of the toothbrush rapidly. Supposedly the rapid movement cleans your teeth better than just moving a toothbrush around in your mouth manually. I was initially unconvinced, but years of glowing reviews by my dentist and oral hygienist (in combination with routine daily flossing) have made me a believer. I am convinced that "sonic" or vibrating toothbrushes are better than a manual toothbrush.

The toothbrush has a unique vibration about every 30 seconds that provide a guide to moving quadrants in your mouth. Every two minutes the brush has a longer vibration indicating two minutes of brushing, which may be sufficient for people with healthy gums and teeth, in combination with flossing and regular dental checkups.

The "SmartGuide" wireless display is supposed to coach you in brushing your teeth. The "SmartGuide" lets you know when you are brushing too hard, and it tells you when you should move quadrants in your mouth. I suspect some people will like the high-tech guide. Others may find it annoying or forget to watch the display while they think about other things. I learned that I do not press too hard with the toothbrush and I tend to spend a bit too long on the right side of my mouth versus the left side. It is always nice to learn new things.

This kit comes with all sorts of goodies. I have tried the "deep sweep brush," which I think is okay, but I like the round brushes, which I think do a great job around my canine teeth. The small brush probably does a good job of getting into small spaces and gaps, but it takes such a long time to clean each space that flossing is faster. I really like the brush holder, which provides a great place to hold your various toothbrushes.

In addition to the multiple brushes and holders are Glide dental floss, Crest Pro-Health toothpaste, Crest Pro-Health mouthwash, and a lovely bag to put the goodies into. I forget where the bag went; it disappeared into the house somewhere. The mouthwash and the floss also got used quickly. I am a huge fan of Crest Pro-Health mouthwash and Crest Pro-Health toothpaste, both of which I use daily. The Crest Pro-Health mouthwash is alcohol free, but seems to do a great job of keeping my mouth germ-free. The Glide floss is a high quality floss, but because of its relatively high cost, I have several alternatives that I routinely use.

In general, I like this toothbrush and adapted to the differences between it and the Sonicare quickly. I like the round brush heads available for the Oral-B, whereas the Sonicare that I have just has a standard toothbrush configuration. One thing I found slightly annoying is that the brush heads have openings that allow liquids to flow through the brush into undesirable locations. I have learned to keep my head tilted back slightly to prevent fluids from dripping onto surfaces that I would prefer to avoid cleaning after brushing.

Even with the annoyance of the dripping fluids, I love this toothbrush. I will even give this toothbrush a slight edge over my previous Sonicare because of the rotating brush heads, though the edge is very slight. I would absolutely buy another Oral-B toothbrush. In fairness, I would also buy another Sonicare. Which will I buy when the Oral-B inevitably breaks? I will probably have to do a lot of internet searching to see which one has the lead at that point.

Enjoy!

ViewSonic PRO9000 1,600 ANSI Lumens Laser LED Hybrid Light Engine Full HD 1080P Home Theater DLP Projector (Black)
Price: $1,754.99
5 used & new from $1,499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Projector for Home or Business, November 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have considered acquiring a projector for some time, and this one seemed like it might meet my needs quite well. In fact, I love this projector. I feel like I am in a theater, without paying the ridiculous prices charged by theaters. While this particular projector is on the pricey side, the picture quality seems, to me, to be phenomenal.

Setup and connection are a breeze. I plugged it into my computer, though it accepts standard inputs, and began playing a DVD without any issues. The picture is, I thought, quite bright. In fact, I walked in front of the projector and learned quickly that you should not look into the LED's; they are very bright. The displayed colors are brilliant and clear, with awesome black. The LED's should provide many maintenance free years of operation.

The project sits on little feet that screw in and out to permit leveling of the project on a flat surface. I was less than thrilled to learn that the kit to mount the projector to the ceiling is, to me, expensive, which I suppose is a kind of drawback.

Do I have any complaints? I could have used a bit more zoom. Without the zoom, you need a big room for a big picture. Go for a room that is at least 12 feet or 14 feet from projector to wall, or perhaps even more. It just depends on how dark you can make the room and how big you want the picture. Some people complain that this projector does not have 3D capability. I have yet to adopt the current 3D craze, which has come and gone several times, so I have no idea whether it will last this time. Just keep that in mind when considering the purchase of this project.

This projector seems like a quality piece of electronics. The image is bright and sharp when focused. The LED's should give me many good years of service. I finally have the projector I always wanted!

Teamson Kids Pirate Boat Wooden Play House/Play Set with Figurines
Teamson Kids Pirate Boat Wooden Play House/Play Set with Figurines
Price: $106.37
16 used & new from $79.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy & Pretty, But Includes Very Little, November 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In a recent review, I complained about the lack of sturdiness of modern toys. However, this play house is sturdy and seems as though it would provide many years of play to several generations of children. The play house is also pretty, and large enough that you could stuff a lot of things into it.

The only complaint I have about this play house is the lack of pirate-related stuff to go into it. You do get some blocky figures and cannons, but no pirate treasure, no steering wheel, no little pirate swords, or anything similar. I suppose that if you were trying to give this play house to a small child, the lack of small parts could be an advantage. However, if I were a small child, I would be asking mom and dad for stuff to go into my pirate play house.

If you are looking for a play house for a small boy or girl, this play house is a winner from the perspective that it seems like it would take a lot of abuse. On the flip side, it includes very few features, so you end up populating the play house with other toys you have. This play house begs for some sort of add on feature or set(s) that allow a child to expand play possibilities.

Scoot Desk-Side Printer Stand
Scoot Desk-Side Printer Stand
Price: $108.89
56 used & new from $92.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems Heavy Duty, and I like It, November 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Printer stands should hold whatever printer you put on it, along with some paper. After that, everything else is gravy. This particular printer stand seems robust, with two shelves to hold paper and a small basket on the side for print outs. The stand has wheels for easy movement from place-to-place.

The stand is attractive, though I notice that the table top seems to like finger printers. Keep a dust rag handy to take care of those pesky fingerprints.

I notice that some reviewers found problems with this printer stand. Among the problems were broken parts, missing parts, dents, and a general lack of sturdiness. I experienced none of the reported problems. It was a bit challenging to build the stand, which comes in pieces, and I enlisted another family member to assist in the construction of the stand. In view of my assembly experience, I recommend finding a second person to help hold things in place, which minimizes the risk of damaging something during assembly. Also, you do need a couple of common tools for assembly.

I was pleased at the quality and sturdiness of this printer stand. It provides a location for paper and printer cartridges, and easily holds my largest and heaviest printer. I recommend this printer stand for anyone needing one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20