Profile for Mark Waldman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Waldman "Faculty, College of Business, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles" RSS Feed (Coaching, Research, Training: Malibu/Los Angeles California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rethinking Positive Thinking: Inside the New Science of Motivation
Rethinking Positive Thinking: Inside the New Science of Motivation
by Gabriele Oettingen
Price: $19.99
80 used & new from $14.27

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT! WOOP YOUR WAY TO SUCCESS!, January 18, 2015
If you were to only read the first chapter and last chapter, you'd get 100x your money's worth. The WOOP technique is simple, and simple is what the brain likes. Oettingen's research is top-notch, and it complements my neuroscientific research on motivation and the human brain (see my other books). Most important, she demonstrates that visualizing your desire and wish is essential for goal attainment, but if that’s all you do, you’ll become LESS motivated! Try it: fantasize about being rich. Notice how good it feels. Now notice that you are less motivated to work! Why? Because the brain reacts to your fantasy as if it were real! No need to work because you imagined it. This is great for emotional well-being, but it undermines your ability to achieve specific goals in the world (diet, exercise, solving work-related problems, etc). Many people do Vision Boards and use positive thinking, but nothing really happens. Instead, Oettingen emphasizes that you must VISUALIZE every obstacle to getting your goal. Then you must create a plan to carry it out, and visualize that plan. Oettingen calls this WOOP: wish, outcome, obstacle, plan. 1. Visualize your goal or desire. 2. Visualize what it will bring you (outcome). 3. Visualize the obstacles (those things that will stop you from attaining that goal). The obstacles will show you if your goal is realistic and if you are really willing to pursue it. If not, change your goal or wish. This includes your sabotage behaviors. 5. Plan a written strategy to overcome your obstacle and sabotage behavior. Do this throughout the day with any simple goal you desire until it becomes a new habit.

People, Planet, Passion: Simple Steps to discover a fulfilling non profit career that makes a difference and earns you a living (Good Work Ethical Career Guides Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE AND ELEGANT!, December 20, 2014
Most books make job searching overly difficult or simplistic. Not this book! The author provides very effective exercises to help you find that perfect job, one that is not only ethical but serves others in the world. The book is short, but please take time to deeply immerse yourself in each exercise. It could be a career changer that transforms your life!

The Very Best Of Arvo Part
The Very Best Of Arvo Part
Price: $13.51
32 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars My current favorite "spiritual" cd, November 5, 2014
Fabulously soothing! Make sure you go to wikipedia and read about the composer.

Muse: The Brain Sensing Headband - Black
Muse: The Brain Sensing Headband - Black
Price: $299.00
8 used & new from $254.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Brain Training Device on the Market, November 5, 2014
I've been involved with brain-scan research for decades, especially mindfulness practices (see my book How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist). I'm fascinated by Muse, and it's the first true biofeedback device designed to register how attentive you are. I've been using it for 2 months now and it definitely has me more engaged in doing daily meditation - more than anything else in my 30 years of mindfulness practice. For that reason alone I recommend this product. It's like a game, and it keeps me engaged in trying to get a "high" score. On the Muse website, they say that the device helps to train your focus, which really isn't the same thing as relaxation. For me, the more I deliberately relaxed, the lower my rating was. But then this was even good because I am becoming more conscious of different brain-states of mind. Teaching people how to stay focused has a very beneficial effect on the brain, as long as the "intention" is positive. In this sense, Muse is a great tool. However, I got my highest readings of "calm" when I focused on something that made me very angry. That makes sense: anger keeps your mind highly focused...on negativity!. I then got a higher reading listening to a mindfulness meditation mp3. Also fascinating, and this caused me to listen to more meditation tracks. I'll continue to explore how to best make use of it, but I will tell you this: our research shows that any device that gives you feedback about brain activity improves neural functioning. Congratulations Muse! There is also a community page but I had to contact Muse to get the link....this is perhaps the most important thing I'd like to see Muse develop further.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2014 12:09 AM PST

Divine Attunement: Music as a Path to Wisdom
Divine Attunement: Music as a Path to Wisdom
by Yuval Ron
Price: $16.95
40 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars STORYTELLING CAN CHANGE YOUR BRAIN !, August 25, 2014
This is the third time I'm reading this book and it keeps getting better. The stories are timeless, and Yuval's words are like poetry, illuminating the soul of music and mysticism. When writing a book, it's the storytelling, not the words, that move the reader. It's a fine art, and it's rare, but you'll find it gloriously displayed here. The author opens a fascinating window into the world of sacred practice by presenting historical and legendary tales from Sufi, Hassidic, Gypsy, Christian, Arabic, Hindu, and Zen traditions – stories that will bring tears to your eyes. This unique book shows how music has the power to heal and transform one’s life. You'll journey with Yuval to many tribal communities to experience the Deer Dance, whirling Dervishes, and the mystical practices from hidden corners of the globe. I highly recommend this book for anyone seeking to explore deeper aspects of a meaningful and purposeful life.

Social Media Fascination: Embracing social media to build community, trust and rapport
Price: $2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE, EXTRAORDINARY, AND ESSENTIAL, May 29, 2014
The author begins with a simple premise: social media and internet shape our lives more than we imagine. She opens this well-written book (rare in this age of word-babble) by explaining why we become so easily addicted to Facebook, emails, etc, by comparing it to crack: "there is that little dopamine hit we all get when we realize someone just sent us a message. You know: dopamine rules the pleasure center of your brain, which is stimulated by the arrival of those sudden messages. Besides basic inertia, that dopamine hit is one big reason it is difficult to walk away from the computer. We keep checking for another message…which gives us another shot of dopamine, and lo and behold, it keeps coming! People notice you, you feel alive, and they keep sending you messages! Your brain craves that stuff."

We need to understand how social media works so that we can turn it to our advantage. To accomplish this Deborah Owen interviews some of the movers and shakers in the internet marketing world, and the advice these well-known gurus give is worth listening to, especially if you want to promote your business and/or your message to the world. This 150 page book is broken into the following sections/topics: Care/Serve, Connect, Communicate, Collaborate, Create & Innovate, and Curate. As a neuroscience and business researcher, I highly recommend this book.

Angels on Overtime
Angels on Overtime
Price: $3.33

5.0 out of 5 stars HUMOR + SPIRITUAL WISDOM = SUCCESS!, November 9, 2013
Bluntly put, this is the funniest, most enjoyable, and most delightfully irreverent spiritual novel I've ever read. I couldn't stop laughing because it presents the reader with an intriguing paradox: why should we assume that angels have a personality that is more "enlightened" than our own? Ann Crawford resurrects an ancient tradition dated back to Mt. Olympus and Mesopotamia where deep spiritual insights are veiled in humor and wisdom. By bringing ourselves closer to this fantastic notion of angel consciousness, we gain essential spiritual wisdom about ourselves.

The End of God-Talk: An African American Humanist Theology
The End of God-Talk: An African American Humanist Theology
by Anthony B. Pinn
Price: $22.04
44 used & new from $18.56

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN THERE BE RELIGION WITHOUT GOD? YES!, May 19, 2013
Christian and Jewish religion is rapidly declining in America and Europe. As the Pew Research Foundation, Barnas, and Gallup point out, for those under 30, 60% do not believe that religion holds any value to them. They are called "nones" and them, the notion of god is dead, meaningless, and absurd. And yet, from a neuroscientific perspective (see for example, Newberg's book How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist) our brain appears to be hardwired to contemplate spiritual issues. This new book brilliantly argues that Christianity can survive quite well without adhering to the biblical notions of god, which the author correctly identifies as a concept that has lost universal meaning in contemporary society. The book makes an important contribution to religious discourse by showing how a worldly Jesus offers a better model for contemporary religion than the biblical concepts of God. By all means read the opening chapter by clicking on Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. Of course, if you are a deep believer in orthodox theology, this book will probably turn you off.

Quantum Physics of Consciousness
Quantum Physics of Consciousness
Price: $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars 256 peer reviewed studies: ZERO EVIDENCE, March 29, 2013
It's been a hot topic for nearly a century, but with more than 200 studies published, the connections between quantum dynamics, consciousness, and the brain have failed to find support in the scientific community. Each published hypothesis is surrounded by volumes of evidence refuting it.

As Sidney Segalowitz, Editor-in-Chief of Brain and Cognition, explained in a 2009 keynote issue of his journal: "The basic logic seems to be that since quantum physics produces notions that are impossible to reconcile with classical cause and effect, and [since] consciousness refuses to be reduced to the simplistic models of cognition...the two might have something to do with each other. This is hardly a leading beacon of scientific logic or method, but it does seem to capture the imagination of some theorists...We can dismiss the linkage because it is based on a hidden, and false, assumption."

The assumption, explains Segalowitz, is this: Do not try "to explain one set of inadequately defined processes in terms of another set of equally undefined processes." It's a fundamental philosophical error. The originators of quantum physics speculated on possible connections, and later theorists mistook these informal dialogues as scientific discoveries and hypotheses. And so profound misreading of history was made - a common occurrence in politics, religion, and science.

In summary: you can tie consciousness and healing to the brain, but not to quantum physics. And when motivational speakers try to say that this is explains why the universe will give you whatever you ask of it, they are preaching a concept that is dead.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2014 11:49 AM PDT

The Way of Real Wealth: 365 Ways to Create a Life of Value
The Way of Real Wealth: 365 Ways to Create a Life of Value
by Mark Waldman
24 used & new from $1.46

3.0 out of 5 stars THERE ARE 2 MARK WALDMANS WRITING ABOUT WEALTH!, March 8, 2013
I'm publishing a new book (my 13th) on the neuroscience of financial and personal wealth (called God Can Make You Rich), when suddenly, to my surprise, I discovered a similar book on a similar theme! I'm Mark Robert Waldman, faculty at LMU and author of Words Can Change Your Brain and How God Changes Your Brain. The Way to Real Wealth may be excellent...I don't know, so make sure you pick the Waldman that intended! PS: I approve of this author's name!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7