Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for MiRSD > Reviews

Browse

MiRSD's Profile

Customer Reviews: 333
Top Reviewer Ranking: 796

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MiRSD RSS Feed
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera (Black)
Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera (Black)
Offered by Your Deal
Price: $68.66
107 used & new from $60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, fun camera to have!, August 28, 2015
I'll start off by saying I have a big selection of "good" cameras (ranging from mirrorless to DSLRs) but there's something neat about an instant film camera. Being able to take pictures and have no clue if they'll turn out (and each one costing you money) is a bit scary to jump into, and there will definitely be shots you don't like.. but that randomness is one of the more enjoyable parts to it.

I originally purchased the Mini 8 camera and the 210 "Wide" camera. I immediately loved the Mini8, but the 210 Wide seemed much less user friendly (huge, lots of settings that aren't very clear, different focus distances to set), but I bought it for the "wide" prints (as big as 2 Mini prints).

Unfortunately, the 210 Wide camera just gave terrible results. Some parts overexposed, some underexposed, while the same shots with the Mini8 were beautiful. The 210 also required a bit more (twice the batteries, larger film, a "closeup" adapter (that arrived broken). In the end, I sent the 210 back and kept the Mini 8.

The Mini 8 is actually a nice size. It's a bit bulky, but nothing too bad at all. It's very easy to use (open the lens, it will tell you which setting to pick (a LED will light up), select it and press the shutter button. There are "settings" for indoors, outdoors, High-Key, etc.. and with the light up LED it's very easy to tell which you need to use.

The viewfinder is relatively close to the lens, giving a "pretty accurate" representation of what the shot will look like. The viewfinder on the 210 was a bit too far from the lens and always gave me odd framing.

The Mini8 uses the Instax Mini prints -- they come in packs of 10 (usually in 2-packs -- 20 shots). The camera will hold 10 at a time, so one thing to keep in mind with the size is that unless you want only 10 shots per outing, you'll need to bring extra packs and that's where the cost (and extra bulk) come from.

I like the way the prints look. They're definitely a vintage/washed out/overexposed look most of the time, but it's neat to have! I would say it would be fine for kids to use, except they may be a little trigger-happy with the shutter button (and 10 shots = about 10 bucks).

Overall, I really like it. I wasn't expecting to (I was expecting more from the 210 wide instax to be honest) but it impressed me so much, I ordered 8 extra boxed of film for it.

Fujifilm INSTAX 210 Instant Photo Camera
Fujifilm INSTAX 210 Instant Photo Camera
Offered by Classy Outfit
Price: $79.00
67 used & new from $64.64

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love it! Larger prints, but just not as nice as the Instax Mini, August 26, 2015
I originally picked up an Instax Mini 8 and loved it. It was a nice, convenient way to get portable prints. Only problem was that the prints were really small. About the size of a credit card (and thats including the border -- the actual print was much smaller than that).

I saw a lot of mixed reviews on the 210 (and 300) "Wide" cameras, but decided to chance it.

Right off the bat, the thing is huge (talking bigger than a high-end DSLR huge) and feels very plastic'y. I'm fine with both of these, I use DSLRs and plastic works as long as it works. Problem is, pieces arrived snapped off (like the closeup filter), there are a number of settings (0.9-3 meters, 3 meters to infinity, self-explanatory), Normal/Dark/Light (adjusts the brightness of the image), and most of them aren't very clear. I found I would have to take a shot, wait, adjust from there and hope the 2nd one turns out better.
The lens-placement (vs viewfinder) is quite a bit off, often resulting in shots (at least portrait-style) being oddly placed in the frame, but my biggest gripe was that the quality just wasn't comparable to the instax. I'm not sure if it's the lens, the flash, but I found many images coming out both overexposed and underexposed (due to the flash, I believe). Taking the same shot on the Instax Mini 8 resulted in a nice looking image (albeit half the size)

I was really wanting to like the 210.. the fact that the prints are twice as big at the same cost ha me very interested.. but after using it (or at least trying to -- the closeup filter was broken) I'll be returning it.

I don't really know what they can fix to make it better.. it sounds like the 300 is more or less the same camera.. but whatever they're doing on the Mini 8.. it's working!

Face Painting Makeup - ProAiir Waterproof Makeup - 4.2 oz (120ml) Black
Face Painting Makeup - ProAiir Waterproof Makeup - 4.2 oz (120ml) Black
Offered by Glitter to Gore, LLC
Price: $33.99
2 used & new from $33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for airbrush -- nice, smooth flow, August 23, 2015
A month ago, I've never heard of "Pro Aiir" -- I picked up a bottle at a local event to try out (previously I've used EBA's VIBE (water-based), Endura (Alcohol based), Ben-Nye Magicolor (water-based), Skin Illustrator (Alcohol) and Mehron liquid facepaint).

The EBA lines were nice color with a great fragrance, but expensive (sold in 1 oz bottles for about the price of this stuff in a 2 oz. bottle). The Alcohol ones also tended to clog my airbrushes a bit (since so much of it settles in the bottle, even a lot of shaking it will leave clogs).

Ben Nye and Meh-Ron were both nice, but only water-based. Skin Illustrator seemed very overpriced for "watered-down" looking colors.

Pro-Aiir comes in a few sizes.. I think they sell as low as 0.5 oz. samples.. the common sizes are the 2.1 and 4.2 ounce sizes (they sell 8/16/64 ounce ones, but there doesn't really seem to be any discount on them other than maybe a couple bucks).

I picked up half a dozen colors and have had good luck.

The liquid works straight out of the bottle (no need to water it down or mix with other stuff), and goes on smooth at a low PSI. I like the way the colors look, they last long (I still can't tell what they mean by "Hybrid" as, as far as I can tell, it's all alcohol-based). The paint is very watery which is nice (Endura tends to be very thick out of the bottle).

Some colors seem to have a nice fragrance, others have models complaining (black, for example -- I noticed the "Smells like mildew" comment from someone, which might be a problem with some colors). I've also heard that some colors (like white) need to be worked differently (higher PSI, layered more) to get the same coverage, which can be a challenge if going between lots of colors.

One small gripe is that the labeling is very inconsistent. I purchased 6 different ones, and received 3 different types of labels. Not a big deal, but it's nice to have some consistency among bottles.

In the end, worked great.. happy with it.. I'll buy more!

Domestic Corner - Geo Cube Silicone Ice Cube Maker and Tray - Creates 8 Giant Ice Cubes - Set of 2
Offered by Etailz
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product! Makes 2-inch cube, easy to remove, August 14, 2015
Originally picked up one of these from another brand and really liked it. Saw this 2-pack available at a discounted rate and decided to go for it also.

Product seems to be identical to the other Silicone Ice Cube Trays (a good thing), has minimal branding on it (not a big deal, but some have a large company name or bright blue color tray opposed to the black of these trays.

Makes 2x2" cubes, easy to remove due to the silicone tray (no more "cracking" the ice cubes out).

My only complaint is that the trays appear to be made to "stack" (they have a slight groove on them to lay on top), however putting 3 trays in the freezer for 15 hours, only the top one was solid ice (the bottom 2 had a frozen exterior and mostly water inside -- not good for ice cubes). If stacking, a much longer time is required for them all to freeze.

Disclaimer: I received this product at a discounted price in exchange for an honest review

Skin Illustrator Liquid FX Palette Aged Blood 2oz
Skin Illustrator Liquid FX Palette Aged Blood 2oz
Offered by ForTheLoveOfGame

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for airbrush, August 10, 2015
Picked up a few of these colors from Skin Illustrator.
I've used other airbrush makeups before (alcohol, water and hybrid) and heard only great things about the Skin Illustrator pallettes. I ended up ordering 5 different colors of these (they're marketed as "Airbrush Makeup" and "Palette Refill" on the same product).

I found that they just didn't work nearly as well as other paints (such as Endura or ProAiir), color wasn't too good and price was more than the competition. Might work better as a Palette refill, but not recommended for airbrushing.

Freezin Fog Outdoor Low Lying Ground Fog Juice Machine Fluid - Gallon
Freezin Fog Outdoor Low Lying Ground Fog Juice Machine Fluid - Gallon
Offered by Froggy's Fog
6 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So... much.. fog!, August 4, 2015
Picked up a few low-lying fog machines and 4 different types of Froggys Fog to try out with them.

Went with the Freezin Fog Juice, Velocity, QuikBlast and their un-named generic fog.

The Freezin fog is designed for use in a chiller -- the fog will stay low to the ground, but you need to cool it down first. Some fog machine have an ice-basket built in which will help, but once it heats up it will begin to raise.
The biggest difference I noticed with the Freezin fog is just how thick it is. I ran it through 400w machines and it went through very smoothe, producing a very thick white smoke/fog -- the most dense I've seen of any fog juices I've tried.. it came out solid white in a way that it can't be seen through.

The branding implies it's for use outdoors, and I can definitely see why. Within 30 seconds it can fill a small room with a thick white layer that will keep you from seeing more than a few inches in front of you. The smoke was probably twice as full as their generic fog fluid, and about 5-6 times the Quikblast/Velocity fogs.

With that, the "hang time" was very high - it lasted a LONG time indoors, which is why its probably recommended for outdoors (most will dissipate very quickly outdoors). If you're looking for an indoor "haze", this may be too much depending on the size of the room. In a larger area it should work, but in a house it will likely turn into much more than a haze (and look like smoke)

Very good at what it does, I was very surprised. Just remember you'll need a "chiller" if you intend to keep it low to the ground. If you're looking for fog that's got a good thickness, is cheap but not as overwhelming as this (for indoors, something that will leave a light haze), look into the generic Froggys Fog bottles. For something that will disappear completely within about 45 seconds (no haze) the Velocity juice is great. For something that will be gone in 20-25 seconds, look into Quikblast.

The Pee-wee Herman Show on Broadway [Blu-ray]
The Pee-wee Herman Show on Broadway [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Paul Reubens
Offered by amazingmedia
Price: $13.43
4 used & new from $9.36

3.0 out of 5 stars High expectations; a bit disappointed due to so much recycled content/jokes, August 3, 2015
Normally a big fan of Pee Wee content, I was looking forward to seeing this.
I remember seeing the 1981 special about 10 years ago and enjoyed it, I've always liked the movies and TV show.. I figured this would be a great watch. And for the most part, I did enjoy it.

The Blu-Ray clocks in at 89 minutes (including a short intro and credits) and I felt that the show may have run a bit better at an hour long.

The set design was perfect -- looked straight out of the 80's show. Almost like the entire set was put into storage and cleaned off, looking good as new. Everything seemed to be in place, the props were all there.. great job and probably one of the best things to see in the special.

Camera work was also good - lots of moving around, different camera angles and cameras setup for specific shots.. they did a nice job filming it!

Video was also good - while only 1080i, I didn't notice the issues some have (with motion). Audio was in english and english closed captions were also included - I didn't see any other issues. Blu-Ray is listed for Regions A, B, C but one of the reviews states it ONLY works in Region A players.

The show plays out as an hour and a half long stage show and they do keep a pretty good flow throughout. My issue with the show is that so much of it was re-used from the 1981 special (Live at the Roxy - available on DVD). What I mean by this are that not only are jokes similar or references to the earlier show, but the same lines are used (almost throughout the special) nearly word-for-word.
The new content making current references (such as 4square and twitter) also came off a bit odd - I was almost expecting to hear "Myspace" references in it!

The show is still entertaining (though I did feel it went a bit long), but it would have been nice to see more than the same jokes. Even the "Mr. Bungle" short film makes an appearance in this one, while characters from the original show (Captain Carl/Phil Hartman) are missing (for obvious reasons), having some of their jokes/references moved to other characters.

The only extra is an audio commentary (which is a nice bonus). I would really have loved some behind the scenes features such as bringing the playhouse back and making it look so authentic 30 years later.

I was really looking forward to this, but seeing it was almost a word-for-word remake in parts, it left me a bit disappointed.

1 Gal - Velocity - Designer Select Fast Dissipating Fog Machine Fluid
1 Gal - Velocity - Designer Select Fast Dissipating Fog Machine Fluid
Offered by Blue Haze Store
Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fast-dissipating fog (lasts longer than Quickblast), August 3, 2015
Recently purchased "QuickBlast" (or "QuikBlast") from Froggys Fog - it's meant to be a very fast dissipating fog (gives smoke/fog effect but then disappears completely within about 10-15 seconds). QuickBlast is made mostly for up-shot foggers like a Chauvet (fog shoots up, quickly disappears) and did a good job at that.

Velocity is very similar except it has a longer hangtime of closer to 45 seconds. I found this to be a good time if not using an up-shot fogger. It will give you the fog you want but then quickly disappear completely. When I say "Disappear Completely", I mean that it won't leave a trace of haze.

One of the big problems of using fog machines indoors are that most fogs leave a haze in the air after the fog goes away.. and this can last quite a while or require you to open windows, doors and turn on fans. Velocity and Quickblast are nice in that they give you the smokey fog effect then disappear.

Note, if you want to keep the haze around (for effect, ambient or to use with lazers/lights, etc..) you won't want to use this fog.

1 Gal - QuikBlast - Best Fluid for Chauvet Geysers - CO2 Blast Effect Fog Machine Fluid
Offered by Froggy's Fog
4 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides a nice white smoke, fades very quickly, August 1, 2015
I've used a variety of different fog liquids in the past - some will come out as a thick white smoke, others a very mild "hazy" look, some will hang in the air as a haze for 20-30+ minutes.. I wanted something that will give a nice smoke effect but then disappear quickly after.

QuikBlast did a nice job at this. It seems to be made for "quick blasts" of smoke (such as an air cannon or a Chauvet Geyser that fires upwards), but it did work fine in both a regular and low-lying fog machine.

The liquid is odorless and the 1 gallon size will go a long way. The smoke came out as a nice thick smoke and began to fade very quickly afterwards. The biggest difference is the lack of a constant haze after using it. Most liquids when used indoors will keep a layer in the air until completely aired out, this one tends to disappear within about 30 seconds (for the most part) and should be totally cleared within a minute.

Froggys makes several different liquids in this type (QuikBlast, Velocity, Fast Dissipating Fog) and I wish there was a better description of each, since they sound similar.

If you're using a geyser machine, this is the fog you want. If you're using it for stage/effects and want something that will give the effect but not linger on for more than a minute, this stuff works nice!

BARRETO Air Vent Universal Smartphone Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 5s 5c 5 4s 4, Samsung Galaxy S6 edge S5 S4 S3 and Similar-Sized Cell Phones (Black)
Offered by Barreto Enterprises
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, doesn't work with all air vents though., July 31, 2015
Picked this up to replace another air-vent mount that uses a push-to-close method of gripping, which stopped working as well.
This one uses a "Pull to open" method instead, providing a constant grip on the phone which is much better.

Product quality is good, the grip is tight and it's compact. A ballhead allows rotation as needed to get the right angle.

Unfortunately, the large clip makes it difficult to attach to some vents. My prior mount used a slim spring grip (and had a support mount to keep the vents from drooping down) while this one uses 2 different grip mounts. I found the grip was too large in size, no matter how I used it. I was able to get it to fit, but in doing so it puts pressure and stretches the air vents out.
The weight of the product also causes the vent to droop (most other air vent mounts I've used have had the optional support brace to prevent this.

Nice product, I love the size and the grip, but the other issues prevent me from giving it 5 stars.

Note: This product was received at a discounted price in exchange for an honest review

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20