Profile for William > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 572

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

William RSS Feed (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I Want to be Bacon When I Grow Up!
I Want to be Bacon When I Grow Up!
by Ken Skinner
Price: $13.04
30 used & new from $8.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad parenting from a double standards "author", October 20, 2014
The authors think they have the superior right to decide who lives and dies. They are teaching children that it is OK to love one animal but eat another. Let's all pat our family dog, but eat the pig (a far more intelligent animal than a dog, or author for that matter).

I've seen the photo of the fat author sitting with his grinning children proudly displaying the book. The fact the author has a big stomach proves why he should stop eating meat and choose a healthier lifestyle.

He claims that if you buy free range bacon then it is all good. There is no such thing as humane slaughtering. What he fails to understand is that factory farm and free range all end up in the same slaughterhouses in the end, so are at risk of mistreatment by disgruntled workers.

His defensive attitude claiming Vegans/Vegetarians are giving his book a bad name is bizarre. It has nothing to do with someone being Vegan, it is more about caring and respecting other living beings. His double standards are the real problem here. His big stomach is also a problem to our health insurance premiums. Truly revolting parents who are instilling their wrong beliefs on their own children. Shame on Amazon for selling such rubbish.

I'd like the authors to take their children to an intensive pig farm, and then a slaughterhouse. Will they eat bacon then? Teach children how to be compassionate.

Action: The Sweet Anthology
Action: The Sweet Anthology
Price: $20.79
25 used & new from $12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing a No. 1 single. How dare they call it an Anthology, October 9, 2014
The Sweet did an amazing version of Peppermint Twist, which was a huge hit In many regions in the late 70s. It reached No. 1 in Australia. I personally have a problem with a record company releasing a compilation titled ANTHOLOGY when this key track is missing. I consider the use of the word 'anthology' to mean all hits and by tracks included. If they were unable to get access to this song for copyright reasons, then they should give the albums different title like 'Collection' or something. What a rip off otherwise.

Policy - Paper Sleeve - CD Deluxe Vinyl Replica + 1 CD Bonus Track
Policy - Paper Sleeve - CD Deluxe Vinyl Replica + 1 CD Bonus Track
Offered by Culture Factory USA
Price: $9.99
20 used & new from $9.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre remastering, August 15, 2014
I love this album, I just don't like the tinny remastering. As others have stated, the remastering removes all punch, so it just sounds weird. I don't know exactly what they did wrong, but it is not a pleasure to listen to anymore. If you have the original CD, hang onto it for dear life.

Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd
Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd
Price: $24.99
86 used & new from $4.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Remastered TOO LOUD, August 15, 2014
This compilation ECHOES comes from 2001 when many albums were being released way too loud. If you don't believe me, open up some of the wav files from this album and view the extreme clipping. The full dynamic range is severely compromised just for loudness. I am not disputing it is a better tracklisting than the 2011 compilation "A Foot in the Door", but at least the 2011 compilation was remastered properly.

ECHOES is just too loud on the ears to enjoy. I found myself actually wanting to turn it down. I am sure the members of pink Floyd would be horrified to see their music ruined like this. Clipping is not good!

All for You: Best of
All for You: Best of
Price: $36.45
2 used & new from $16.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Remastered, with an excellent selection chosen by fans, August 25, 2013
This review is from: All for You: Best of (Audio CD)
This 2011 Cold Chisel compilation supersedes the previous Cold Chisel greatest hits compilations because of the excellent remastering BUT most of all it has been selected by fans. Fans were given a 5 day period to nominate their favourite songs from a band that many of us worshipped in the 80s. Often considered a rock band, Cold Chisel covered so many categories including blues. They so deserved international success, but it was not to be. This collection is special because it contains 'Shipping Steel' which was not included on any previous compilations despite it being one of the much loved singles. The fact that so many fans nominated it, shows how wrong the record companies were in the past not to include it. Also worth noting is the studio version of 'Bow River' here which is what I wanted, not the live version which turned up on previous compilations. Overall, we have 20 tracks here, including two new tracks from when the band reunited in 2011. A MUST OWN. I cannot recommend this compilation enough. The only negative is that 'No Sense' is missing. I guess fans did not nominate that song enough.

A
A
Price: $11.99
58 used & new from $5.14

3.0 out of 5 stars A is for AUTO-TUNE, July 29, 2013
This review is from: A (Audio CD)
A somewhat disappointing effort from Agentha after a 9 year break from recording. By her own admission, her voice was quite rusty, so she had to take lessons again to learn to breath again in the correct way that singers do. Not to worry, Auto-tune will fix any flat parts. You can spot it throughout this album. Auto-tune is the worst thing to happen to the recording world because it can fix lots of errors, but the downside is that you can spot it.

So besides that, we have an album full of simplistic songs, nothing complex. Such predictable melodies, and only a couple of tracks which could be released as singles. Agnetha's Swedish accent is quite obvious on this album. While I realise she no longer speaks English well, I found it a slightly irritating.

Her voice is still nice to hear, but you can tell there has been assistance.

Highlights from the album include: I Should have followed you home, I was a flower and I keep them on the floor beside my bed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 3:00 PM PDT

Need You Now
Need You Now
Price: $7.00
114 used & new from $0.30

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally boring, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Need You Now (Audio CD)
What is it with country music? It is SO predictable, all sounds the same, and the voices do too. I thought I would give this album a chance since the title track was covered by Shakira and Keith Urban on American Idol in recent times. I have listened to the album 5 times and it is so boring. Not one track stands out as an amazing composition. In fact it sounds like Taylor Swift at times. It sounds like other country singers too. Why do people like this sort of music? Country music is almost as bad as listening to rap.

JVC HAS600W Light Weight Headphones -White (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
JVC HAS600W Light Weight Headphones -White (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, June 8, 2013
I have owned lots of headphones over the years. One thing has become apparent to me: you do not need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a decent pair. In fact, you would be throwing your money away just to get a 'name'. The key is to look at the specifications on the back of the box, and if there isn't any (like some big brands) steer clear. What are they trying to hide?

These headphones met a very important specification to me ie. decent frequency response than the usual sets. These specs are: 8Hz to 25,000Hz allowing a better base range. I simple was not prepared for the delicious sound when I put these gems on.

The headphones appear very well constructed and I expect will stand the test of time, unlike some of the comparable Sony models. These headphones also sit beautifully on my ear and are the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned. It is important to buy these outer fitting headphones rather than the plug type as less damage to the ear drums is done. The younger people prefer plug type headphones because they are modern and look trendy but the damage they are doing to the ears will come back to haunt them when they are older.

Power To The People: The Hits
Power To The People: The Hits
Price: $11.88
85 used & new from $2.61

2.0 out of 5 stars Too short and bad remastering, May 28, 2013
If you have LEGEND: The Very Best of John Lennon, hang onto it because it is a better CD in terms of tracklisting and remastering. This CD 'Power to the People' is a pointless upgrade because the remastering is lacklustre and they have not included all the hits, despite the room. A CD allows 80 minutes, so why did they stop at just under 60 minutes? Why not give the fans more? The photo on the front is good but it is odd that everyone associates him with New York, when he actually came from England. Missing key tracks include 'Beautiful Boy', and 'Nobody Told Me'. Why not include these and more when their is actually room? Shame on the remastering, it is very poor when compared with LEGEND.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2013 2:10 PM PDT

Haywire
Haywire
DVD ~ Lee Remick
Price: $9.49
24 used & new from $9.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Lee Remick Mini series, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Haywire (DVD)
I remembered seeing this on television back in the early 80s and enjoyed it as a young teenager. Pleased to see it available on DVD, so purchased it. However after watching again as an adult I found it incredibly frustrating and very dated. Over the top performances and a lacklustre storyline.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20