Profile for Ciaran > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 59

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ciaran RSS Feed
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
XQ-XQ Bicycle cycling glasses outdoor Polarized UV400 sport sunglasses for Running Driving Racing Ski golf fishing with 5 Set Interchangeable Lenses (black)
Offered by goldenbuyus
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of options at a low price., June 16, 2015
When XQ-XQ offered me a sample of their glasses for an honest review, I knew exactly what I would use them for. As a bit of a rockhound/fossil hunter, I'm often hammering away at rocks. Anyone with similar hobbies will know the feeling of having a shard of rock hitting your face close to your eye, and usually that's the last time you use a rock hammer without glasses. I don't like wearing the big work protective goggles, so I decided to give these a try.

You get several options when it comes to the lenses: Polarized, blue-tinted, color/reflective, transparent (the one I use the most) and a yellow/amber insert. Personally I use the transparent one the most, however I can definitely say that I appreciate the different inserts depending on when I'm using the glasses. The holding mechanism is a little finicky at first, but does a pretty good job - so far they have stayed in place.

The hard case shell was also a nice touch - I can throw the whole set in my backpack and not have to worry about breaking anything!

OVERALL
It's not the highest quality set you're going to find (hence the four star rating, reserving five stars for something exemplary), but for the price you do have a lot of options and they're definitely not going to fall apart as quickly as gas station sunglasses. Recommended.

Drug Test - Marijuana (Thc) Urine Test Dipcard, 10-count, Made in USA
Drug Test - Marijuana (Thc) Urine Test Dipcard, 10-count, Made in USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Counter-intuitive but they work., June 16, 2015
Well I'm going to pull the classic "a friend of mine" in this review, but in this instance it's actually quite true and totally applicable. When WHPM offered me a sample of these tests to review (asking only for my honest opinion) I knew I was going to need to enlist the help of a friend on the West Coast (MMJ patient) to try them out.

The tests arrive individually packaged in foil, keeping them in what I assume is a sterile environment. You definitely don't want the possibility of external contamination being a factor in a test's results. I sent one off to my friend, and as a control used one myself.

As another reviewer has pointed out, the tests are counterintuitive. There is no color result for a positive test (only clear), almost leading my friend to think that I had sent him a dud. Equally, when my test had a colorized result (for negative), it got my heart rate up for a second. Go figure.

Either way, after rereading the instructions and realizing a color reaction was negative and a clear strip was positive I can safely say that these tests work. Or at least they report positive for a daily MMJ user, so I can't comment on sensitivity for minor/infrequent/past exposure.

Overall, despite being counter-intuitive they work, both for a positive MMJ patient and a negative control (myself). Recommended.

DBPOWER® Digital 5mp 300X USB Video Microscope Set Magnifier Camera with Base Stand,Software

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a whole new world down there!, June 13, 2015
It's only every now and then that I get a review item that I'm truly excited to try, and I have to say the the DBPower 300X digital microscope is one of those items. I've always been fascinated by biology and science in general, and I was given my grandmother's microscope at a very young age (and then followed an artistic career...go figure)! DBPower sent me a sample of this microscope to review - I promised only my honest opinion.

SET UP
Set up was incredibly simple. If, like me, you don't have a DVD drive in your computer - don't worry! Simply search "Celestron MicroCapture Pro" and you will find a download page on Celestron's website. This is the same software, and I am happy to say it is Mac compatible and I am running it without issue on OS X Mavericks. Assembly of the microscope took all of 2 minutes, and you simply plug in and fire up the software and you're ready to go!

USE
The USB cable has a dimmable light switch on it, allowing you to increase or decrease the LED brightness. I find that anywhere from 75% to 100% power is ideal. There are two focus mechanisms - one that moves the lens up and down and one for fine tuning your focus. Now, I want to point out that when you're focusing, you're going to hit two focal points - the first one is relatively distant (maybe 100X?), but if you keep going with the fine focal dial all the way to the right - and it took me a couple of minutes to figure this out - you suddenly hit 300X or so and that's where the magic happens!

PICTURE
The image is clear, and reasonably high resolution for such an inexpensive microscope. Keep in mind that usually microscopes are made for viewing flat objects (hence samples being pressed between two glass slides) so if you've viewing something with depth you will have areas that are out of focus and this is normal. In the desktop software, you have the option of taking photos or video and then saving them out. I would love to see the software be developed to save in PNG or another less lossy format than JPEG, but the images certainly aren't bad.

OVERALL
This is five stars from me - it's simple to use and absolutely fascinating! I highly recommend this for students, teachers and anyone who is interested in science. No, you're not going to see micro-organisms at 300X magnification, but you are going to see the world in a different light! Highly recommended with no reservations.
Comment Comment | Permalink

VonShef Vacuum Food Saver and Sealer System
VonShef Vacuum Food Saver and Sealer System
Offered by Designer Habitat
Price: $99.99
3 used & new from $36.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Four and a Half Stars!, June 12, 2015
I have been using the VonShef food saver for several months now, wanting to really give it some good use before leaving my review. VonShef sent me a sample of this food saver to review - I promised my honest opinion in return.

I've used quite a few "off-brand" kitchen items (brands that would not be considered household names), and often they are disappointing. A knife sharpener that took chunks out of knives (unlike my other one, so it wasn't user error), a blender that just spun things around. But the VonShef vacuum food saver was actually a pleasant surprise, and as my first appliance of this kind, a real eye opener!

In terms of aesthetics and materials, the food saver seems well made, and fits in with the other chrome and black appliances I have in my kitchen. It feels weighty, well made. Along with the food saver I was sent (I believe) 50 VonShef vacuum bags to get started. Operation of the food saver is very simple, so I won't go over it in depth - really you just place some food in the bag, align it in the food saver, close up and hit a button. The food saver does the rest!

Now I come to the part where I tell you why I'm rating this at 4 and not 5 stars. Well, partially it's because Amazon doesn't allow half stars - but the main reason is that I've found that the padding in the inside of the food saver (where you close everything up) is a little bit too thick, meaning you really have to put some pressure on the thing to get it to close up all the way and function properly. Now I'm a young guy in my late twenties - it's only a minor inconvenience. For someone elderly, or with any joint or pain issues - well that's going to be a bigger problem.

Still, the thing works very well after that initial push. The vacuum bags are airtight, and I have yet had one lose its seal while sitting in the fridge. As I mentioned - I've never had a food saver before...it really has changed the way I do things in the kitchen! I can keep food for longer with less waste!

Overall, despite the one minor issue I am extremely pleased with the VonShef food saver. It's well made and has been going strong for a few months. For the price, 4.5 stars and recommended with the one caveat mentioned.
Comment Comment | Permalink

GULEEK i8 Quad-Core Windows 8.1 with Bing Smart Mini PC w/2 GB RAM,16GB ROM,HDMI,EU Plug
Offered by GoldenCat
Price: $119.97
5 used & new from $119.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in all areas but one, June 12, 2015
Back in my day (I'm not that old), I had a single core Pentium 3 computer with 512MB of Ram and I THINK a 40GB Hard Drive, if that. It was my pride and joy, with a floppy drive to play Doom & Prince of Persia. It was my pride and joy - I even bought a computer strap backpack thing to bring it to LANs as I upgraded to a BLAZINGLY fast Pentium 4 Prescott. Like I said, I'm not that old, but even in I can't believe how far computers have come. When Guleek offered me a sample of this mini PC to review, I promised them only my honest opinion.

So let's be honest - you're here because you want a mini PC. Is the Guleek i8 the one for you? Well, that depends. With a sleek footprint, a quad core processor and Windows 8.1 pre-installed, the i8 offers a lot in a very small package. Here are some of the pros:

PROS
1) Low power - I can run this thing from my TV's USB port
2) Quad Core processor - enough for netflix for sure, as well as HD playback
3) 2GB RAM - okay, nothing to write home about, but enough for the above
4) Windows 8.1 preinstalled - no need to worry about drivers
5) USB ports for peripherals (I have a wireless mini keyboard plugged in)
6) Built in WiFi
7) MicroSD Card Slot (up to 64GB)

So far so good right? Well, basically. There are some features that really work in the i8's favor (above) but there are some downsides I have found.

CONS
1) Internal storage is tiny - and some programs won't run unless on the C:\ drive
2) WiFi is there, but definitely underpowered. I had to move my router to use WiFi for streaming!
3) Limitations of operating systems - people are trying to install other flavors and having issues

SO...
For my uses, I really like the Guleek. Sure the internal storage isn't great, however for streaming Netflix it has been enough with no major issues or slowdowns. I also play a lot of music and videos, stored on the MicroSD card I inserted. I also convinced my boss to buy one for the conference room for presentations and website demos, and so far it has worked flawlessly. Still, the storage is going to be an issue for many, and that reason alone (well, the WiFi thing too) brings this down to 4 stars, bordering on 3.5 to be honest with you.

For this to be a five star device, I have to agree with other reviewers - there needs to be greater storage options, even at a higher price if necessary. The internal battery is great (I can take it from the living room to the bedroom without shutting down), and in general performance is excellent as a media device.

I should note that I had some issues when I received mine - the Windows 8.1 copy was not activated. Whether this was because I had an Advanced Review Copy or not, I'm not entirely sure - Microsoft was able to verify everything and activate it for me, so it was only a temporary inconvenience.

Overall, I enjoy my i8. If you're looking for a mini PC for media consumption and are okay with running everything off of a MicroSD card, I have no qualms recommending it.

Polare Unisex Canvas Genuine Leather Travel Shcool Backpack Rucksack Fit 17.3''laptop

4.0 out of 5 stars With a little work this would be a five star bag., June 12, 2015
I'm always on the look out for new bags - being an outdoorsy kind of person and a photographer, I'm usually lugging some kind of gear with me and if there has one thing I've learnt - there's no such thing as the perfect bag. When Polare asked me to review this bag, I agreed, promising only my honest opinion.

I've organized my thoughts about this bag into a list, so here it is:

PROS
- Plenty of room, in fact it was bigger than I thought it would be!
- Plenty of pockets and a laptop compartment (unpadded)
- Great quality of canvas used
- Comfortable, even over long periods of use
- Not too pricey

NEUTRAL
- Drawstring closure, could be a pro or con depending on your use, but that makes me a little hesitant to put electronics in it

CONS
- Needs some work on the loop/buckle design - mine also came undone

OVERALL
It's a great bag, with plenty of room, a decent amount of pockets and a very nice aesthetic. A little bit of work needs to be done on the buckles and loops, but otherwise definitely recommended, particularly for the price!

Panlelo LED Headlamp 2in1 Flashlight:2000 lumens 3 modes Zoomable Rechargeable Waterproof CREE XMLT6 For Running/Hiking/Cycling/Night Fishing/Hunting/biking Included AC Charger,AAA adapter,1x18650 battery

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of headlamp for the money!, June 12, 2015
I've been using the Panlelo LED Headlamp for almost a month now - when it comes to electronics I like to use them for at least that amount of time to ensure that they are well made and durable. Panlelo sent me a sample of the headlamp for review - I promised only my honest opinion.

So before I go into detail about what I do like about this headlamp, I wanted to mention a couple of reasons why it isn't five stars. The first is that it's definitely NOT 2000 lumens, and it should be noted that the product info says "up to 2000 lumens" which usually means there's a little bit of theoretical marketing talk going on. The second reason is that due to the Cree LED lamp in this kit and the way it is designed, the light does get almost uncomfortable hot after extended use. Not a deal breaker, but something to note.

So now on to what I actually like about this kit. The design and form is actually amongst the most comfortable I have used, and this is my third or fourth headlamp set if memory serves. It fits perfectly on my head, and unlike others, has no bulky battery pack weighing things down. Another reason I really like this kit is that it came with spare batteries and a charger, features that would cost almost $20 by themselves. You can also charge the headlamp directly. Finally, I LOVE the detachable design that allows you to use it as a flashlight - this is more handy that you might think (being able to point light where your head can't go) and much appreciated.

Despite not being the full 2000 lumens, it is plenty bright enough and seems to be well made. I have had no issues with it so far, but will update my review to comment on longevity in the future. Despite a few flaws, I definitely enjoy the headlamp and have no problems recommending it with the few minor caveats mentioned. 4/5 Stars.

Optimal Shop WIFI Sports Action Camera 1.5" TFT 12.0 MP 2/3 CMOS Helmet Camera 1080P Full HD Waterproof/ShockproofOutdoor Sports Digital Video Camera -Black
Offered by Optimal Shop
Price: $69.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Optimal Shop Action Camera: The SD28 Clone, June 11, 2015
Length:: 6:51 Mins

I can confirm - this is indeed an SJ4000 Clone. The SJ4000 firmware made my camera unresponsive, but the SD28 firmware worked just fine. The manufacturer sent me a sample of this camera for review, I promised only my honest opinion in return. Now despite being a clone, this is not a bad little camera. It takes decent footage and has plenty of accessories.

Where it loses serious points? The photo quality is absolutely awful - don't even bother. The video quality is not bad (demo footage in my video review), but it lacks the definition that you find in a true SJ4000 or a GoPro, and is much more prone to ghosting and lens flare. Finally, the audio quality is not great at all. That said, I don't hate it. You get a lot of accessories and some decent footage for the price. I think I'm definitely going to be looking at some true SJ4000 cameras, as I'm just not quite completely satisfied with the final video quality.

I have since found out that the Optimal Shop New Sports Action Camera - Silver + Black is a REAL SJ4000, and I would highly recommend checking that out instead.

Overall, three out of stars. As a clone, it's definitely decent, but certainly not the real thing.

Freegrace® The Best Multifunctional Tarp with Four Stakes - Premium Lightweight Tarp Waterproof GUARANTEED - 100% Protect Your Pants From Wet - Can be used as Beach Blanket, Picnic Blanket, Camping Cover, Outdoor Music Festival Mat, Tablecloth or Bench Mat at The Park, Covering Your Bike From Rain - Perfect as Ground Cover While you are in outdoors or tent - Very Convenient and Easy To Carry or Fit into a Small Backpack - Big enough for 4 Person to sit comfortably on it - Available in 4 Attractive Color - 90 Days 100% Money Back Guarantee (Charming Orange)
Offered by Freegrace

5.0 out of 5 stars Super handy and perfectly compact., June 9, 2015
No need for an in depth review on this one - much like the other Freegrace product that was sent as a sample to honestly review, I'm pretty pleased. The tarp is big enough for 2-4 people, completely waterproof and seems to be made of a high quality material. As another reviewer noticed, I had some hanging threads I had to cut off the seams, however as of right now it seems as though they were surplus, not integral to the seam in any way.

We have the perfect use for this - as a waterproof tarp to throw under nicer blankets for photoshoots! For this use, the tarp is absolutely perfect, although I will definitely be taking it to the beach and the lakefront this summer. The rivets are handy, as are the included stakes! It folds down small enough that it's certainly not a hassle to bring in a bag or under an arm.

Overall, no complaints at all. At first I thought $20 was a little pricey, however a quick gander on a couple of the websites of outdoor gear brick and mortar stores put a stop to that line of thinking. Definitely recommended, and I will update this review to comment on durability over a greater period of time.

Freegrace® Ultimate Lightweight Dry Sack - Dry Bags Waterproof Guaranteed - Perfect Waterproof Bag for Adventures - Floating Dry Bag, Great for Boating, Kayaking, Hiking, Snowboarding, Camping, Rafting, Fishing - Dry Compression Sack with High Quality Roll Top Closure System - Available in 1.5L,5L,10L,35-50L,65-80L with Different Color - 90 Days 100% Money Back Guarantee (New BLue, 5L)
Offered by Freegrace
Price: $25.77

5.0 out of 5 stars More lightweight than others, June 9, 2015
Drybags are pretty simple products - you take some waterproof material, add a closure mechanism and if you're done everything right you SHOULD have a waterproof bag. That said, they are not all built alike! Freegrace sent me a sample of their Dry Sack to review - I promised only my honest opinion in return.

First thing I noticed? This dry bag is a lot lighter than the one that came with my Teton Canyoneering backpack. Of course this makes it more prone to rips (colliding with a rock after falling out of a kayak, something sharp on the ground) but it also makes it more portable and it definitely has less of a footprint when folded up. It's a tradeoff, but a worthwhile one depending on what you're looking for.

The light blue is easy to spot - perhaps not so much in certain colors of water, but on land it definitely stands out. I would probably get the orange if you want maximum visibility in most circumstances.

The seal is definitely waterproof - it uses the standard roll-down top with buckle, a method that I have found to be more reliable than other seals on waterproof gear.

Overall, it does its job and is more lightweight than others I have. The quality is there, the price is right - I can't find any reason to not recommend this. I'll update my review in a few months to comment on durability over steady use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20