Profile for Ciaran > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ciaran RSS Feed
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Attmu Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Sets - 2 pk, 16 1/2" x 11 5/8" - Perfect Size Baking Sheet Mat for Your Baking Sheet - Non-Stick Cookie Mat and BPA Free Cookie Sheet Mat Set
Offered by Ouddy
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I ever live without this?, July 18, 2014
~~ Quick Quote: I'm no sensationalist, but this has serious changed the way I cook. It's well made, cooks well, is non-stick and vastly reduces clean up. HIGHLY recommended! ~~

Seriously though, I'm going to sound like a shill in this review, but I'm really so impressed with the sample I received from the manufacturer. This is my honest opinion. To start, calling it a "cookie sheet" is a bit misleading...so far I have used it for cookies, bread, pizza and so much more! I was particularly impressed with the way it allowed the pizza to cook thoroughly on top without hardening up the base, something that baking trays will often do.

Oh and clean up? SO easy. The non-stick surface makes for a quick and easy clean up, and let's face it - a rollable silicone baking mat takes up a lot less room in my sink! I love that it's BPA free, too.

I have nothing but great things to say about this baking mat and highly recommend giving them a shot. At this price (and since you get two) you're more than likely not going to find a better deal at the store. Highly recommended without reservation.

Ouddy 22 Inch Aluminum Magnetic Knife Bar
Ouddy 22 Inch Aluminum Magnetic Knife Bar
Offered by Ouddy
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not half bad!, July 18, 2014
~~ Quick Quote: If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive but well-performing magnetic bar, the Ouddy knife bar does its job exceedingly well. Knives, kitchen gadgets and even tools stick to it, and mounting (with the included hardware) was a snap with the aid of a spirit level. Definitely recommended. ~~

I have always been intrigued my magnetic knife bars - they look so great in magazines and blogs but I've never been quite sure whether I would enjoy one during every day use. When I was offered a sample of this item by the manufacturer I decided to give it a try - this review is my honest opinion.

If you're like me the first thing you're going to do (before semi-permanently affixing this to the wall) is parade it around the house looking for suitable magnetic targets. You've gotta know that things will say put, right? Well a few knives (including a large chef's knife), some kitchen gadgets, a few screwdrivers, a pair of pliers and a metal sugar canister later, and I was convinced that the magnets were going to be strong enough. Mounting was simple, and with the two provided screws and drywall anchors (and my trusty spirit level) I had it on the wall in not time.

It is reasonable well constructed, with moulded plastic surrounding the dual magnetic strips. Overall I think it's not a bad price, although I must admit that I haven't done TOO much price comparison for similar items. Still, it works and I have no problem recommending it!

Fotasy EF42A Fotasy AF-Confirm M42 42mm Screw Mount Lens for Canon EOS EF Camera Adapter
Price: $11.22
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, June 9, 2014
I purchased two of these M42 adapters for a Yashica 50mm 1.8 lens and Pentax's 200mm takumar. I have long been using manual focus lenses on DSLR bodies - there is simply no other manner of getting good glass for your camera that is as cost-effective as this, while still providing exceptional image quality. The Fotasy EF42A is not dissimilar to other brands I have used over the years - they are simple in construction with the AF confirmation chip glued on so that it meets your DSLR's pins nicely.

I have use these adapters with both a crop frame camera (the Canon 30D) and a full frame body (Canon 6D). It worked wonderfully on both, and I find the focus confirmation to be quite accurate. Keep in mind that the use of older lenses on a full frame body can be a tricky business - some lenses protrude backwards far enough so as to interfere with the action of the mirror. I would HIGHLY suggest doing some research on whether your lenses are compatible with full frame bodies - you certainly don't want to damage your camera's mirror. So far, I have yet to encounter a crop sensor body that had mirror clearance issues, although I have had to shave off a couple of aperture levers in my time.

Overall, the Fotasy is of the same quality of other adapters I have tried, including Fotodiox (a popular brand). It fit nice and tightly with little to no wiggle room, so far the AF chips have stayed in place and focus is both accurate and infinite. I have no problem recommending this adapter for use with Canon DSLRs.

ORICO HF9US 9 Port USB 2.0 HUB & 2 Port Charging Port with Power Switch and Premium 12V 2.5A Power Adapter - Black
Offered by ORICO Technology Co.,Ltd
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Universal System BEAST., June 3, 2014
Maybe you don't need NINE USB data ports and two USB charging ports, but having this monster on your desk is certainly impressive. Okay so people may crack jokes about your compensating for something, but when your keyboard, mouse, USB drive, external hard-drive, USB headphones, Wacom tablet, USB monitor and USB coffee warmer are all plugged in and chugging along (on and your tablet and phone are both charging), who the heck will be laughing then? (Maybe don't try plugging all of those in at the same time...I'm not responsible if you do...) Orico provided me a sample of this product - this review is my honest opinion.

Okay seriously though, if you need USB expansion, this is the one to go with. It has three sets of three USB ports, each set with a dedicated on/off switch. I can't find a use for the on/off switch personally, but I'm sure there are people out there who seriously want the function - I can imagine turning off a grouping of USB mics all at one or something like that could be a godsend for someone in a studio somewhere. The charging ports are my favorite part - 2.4A is about 0.3A higher than other tablet/phone chargers I've used but still a safe amperage from what I understand.

The hub was plug and play in OSX and Windows, and apparently has built-in surge protection. I'm hoping I don't have to test that particular feature, but I'm not going to hang my hat on it until I've seen it in action. I have to agree with the reviewer above me - I wish the adapter were of a different style. Luckily I have a huge surge protector with plenty of space between outlets, but this is going to be a frustration for some users and is worth noting. Overall I'm pleased with the build quality, although I do find the finish to be prone to fingerprints.

Honestly, I can't find anything wrong with this hub. It has plenty of connectivity, looks good on my desk and although it's not CRAZY good value for money, it's definitely about right. We'll see how well it lasts, and I will update if I encounter any issues in the future.

ORICO 6619US3 5Gbps Super Speed USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive HDD Docking Station for 2.5 inch or 3.5" Hard drive - Black
Offered by RockBirds
Price: $25.89
22 used & new from $21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid design., June 3, 2014
I've owned several vertical docking stations at this point - a couple of no-name brands I've forgotten, one from Sabrent, another from StarTech and finally (the most expensive) a Vantec. It is important to keep in mind that a lot of brands are simply buying in bulk from Asian suppliers and branding them, so more often than not the reason you're saving money is because (a) you're not paying for a brand name, and (b) there's a little bit of R&D that's skipped out on. STILL, each company buying these bulk drives has to choose which one to invest in and I can tell you from personal experience, they are NOT all built the same. Orico sent me a sample of this device - this review is my honest opinion.

I'm not going to go too into depth here, but to preface I am what some might refer to as a "power user", and though my primary machine is a mac (I'm a creative professional), I use Windows and Linux (Arch and Ubuntu) on a regular basis.

DESIGN
Well unlike many of the docks I've tried, Orico got one thing right: this docking station has a weight base. I can say the same only for my Vantec - the others do NOT, and that makes me nervous. Let's face it, none of us value our data at the cost of a replacement hard-drive, at least I certainly don't. Base stability is HIGHLY important, and the Orico does it right.

SPEED
I was neither surprised nor displeased at the speed coming through the USB 3.0 connection with this dock. Using it on my Mac Pro and Windows/Linux box (each with USB 3.0) provided a good solid speed increase over USB 2.0, as expected. No benchmarks were performed.

VALUE
Currently priced at $29.99, the Orico 6619US3 is a middle-of-the-range dock with an affordable price. I think it's price about where it should be.

Allowing for 3.5" and 2.5" drives to be connected over USB 3.0, I think it's a very decent choice in a somewhat oversaturated market. A distinctive feature is the auto-sleep which reduces excessive wear on your harddrives. I can't find anything to complain about really - I've had no issues whatsoever but will update if I encounter anything.

Apple MFI Certified - Dual USB Ports 3.1A Portable USB Car Charger for iPhone 5 5S 5C 4 4S,iPad 4 3 2,iPad mini,iPad air, Battery Power Supply for All Apple Device - (Apple Certified Lightning Cable Included)
Offered by ROKER USA
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues here!, June 2, 2014
So if you're considering this car charger, you're probably looking at the twenty dollar price tag and wondering whether it's worth it. In my opinion, the answer is a resounding "yes"! I was sent a sample of this product, this review is my honest opinion.

So there's one term that is key here, and that's "MFI Certified". That means that this device was manufactured to Apple specifications. Why is this important? If you've ever seen the "charging is not supported with this device" message pop up on your iPhone, iPad or iPod, you'll know why it's important. Even cables that work to charge your device at first, can trip this message. So can iOS updates.

The lightning cable is really not bad at all. It's not the same soft plastic that Apple uses for their cables, but the quality is certainly there. The car charger itself has a small profile, and offers two USB ports (1A and 2.1A) for those who need them.

Overall, I'm very pleased with both the quality, design and functionality of this car charger and cable set. Given that a Lightning cable will run you nearly $10 anyway, it's not a half bad price for both accessories together. Recommended without reservation.

Swage Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Bluetooth V4.0 Perfect for Sports - Lightweight Sport Bluetooth Earphones Black
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $45.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, just didn't work out for me..., June 2, 2014
One of the hardest things as a reviewer is balancing rating a product with your subjective experience vs. the experience that others may have. Let me start off by saying that for many people (as evidenced by the existing reviews), this will be a five star product hands-down. For me, however, it's coming in at four stars, and I'll explain why below. The manufacturer sent me a sample of this product, this review is my honest opinion.

Let's start of with where this product shines, and that's function. I found the audio quality to be really excellent, and perhaps even better than the price tag on these headphones would merit. Bass is nice a full, highs are crisp without being tinny, and there is no crackling at high volumes. Bluetooth range is very good - I can't tell you exactly what it will be like for you, but in my 1200 sq. ft. open-plan apartment I can roam around without any interference whatsoever.

The controls are not difficult to use, but it will take a few uses to get used to the placement, as with any such device. Pairing with my iPhone was simple, and I appreciate that it takes advantage of iOS' built in battery meter for bluetooth, something not all manufacturers seem to know or care about. Incoming audio quality on calls is excellent, outgoing I am told is decent but obviously not as good as speaking directly into the headset, but better than speakerphone. I'm thankful for friends who I can call and will put up with the MANY "Hey I'm calling you to test out bluetooth quality" calls the get :P

Now, here's where the headset loses a star, FOR ME. I honestly do not find them comfortable. I don't have a particular wide head or humongous ears or anything like that, so I was a little surprised to find that nearly everyone else though they were very comfortable. After about 20 minutes of use, I start to feel a little discomfort, after an hour I have to take them off! I owned headphones with this sport style before, and have had similar issues. Still, there you have it - the reason I'm not giving them five stars. Again, this is a personal thing, and many people find them to be super comfortable! With Amazon's excellent return policy, I would suggest still giving them a try and returning them if they're not comfortable for you - everything else about them is highly satisfactory.

Overall, an excellent product that just doesn't quite work for me. The quality of the electronics is above-par, the audio quality is excellent and if it wasn't for my finding it uncomfortable to use, these would easily become my workout headphones.

Four out of five stars, I can easily recommend you give them a shot and see if they work for you!

OGIO International Newt 15 Laptop Backpack, Dark Static
OGIO International Newt 15 Laptop Backpack, Dark Static
Price: $99.90
5 used & new from $99.90

5.0 out of 5 stars For my needs - ideal!, June 2, 2014
This review is from: Ogio Newt 15 Backpack (Sports)
It has been a long time since I've owned a backpack - I'm sort of partial to knapsack-style bags. Still, I decided to give it a shot and see if I might be inclined to switch to a true backpack. Ogio sent me a sample of this backpack - this review is my honest opinion.

Let me start off by saying, this is a VERY low-profile backpack. If you're looking to carry around a lot of items or even college textbooks, there's a good chance it won't work for you. It simply was NOT designed for high-capacity. That said, it absolutely fulfills all of my needs. On a daily basis, I keep the following items in my bag without issue:

1) 15" Macbook Pro
2) Apple MagSafe Adapter
3) Slim penclic bluetooth keyboard
4) Apple Magic Mouse
5) Several thin folders of documents
6) Bluetooth headphones
6) USB wall charger with various cables for my devices
7) Wallet, keys, phone, spare change, random junk like business cards etc.
8) Various pens and styli

All of this fits VERY nicely, and without making the bag feel like it's bursting at the seams. I do have a cheap android tablet and it fits too (although I don't carry it around with me, so it's not included on the list.

Some things I love:

- First and foremost HAS to be the fleece-lined pockets for my devices. Gone are the day of scratched macbook cases with this thing. I'm serious when I say this is my favorite feature.
- The protective padding is excellent, as evidenced by when my bag fell of the couch with a dull thud, rather than the harsh sound of electronics hitting hard wood floors. No damage to the laptop.
- I LOVE all the various pockets. Seriously, there's a pocket for everything you could imagine. I enjoy knowing exactly where my phone, headphones, charger etc. will be. Having a designated laptop pocket makes going through airport security a breeze.
- Maybe it's just me, but I found the backpack to be very comfortable. Sure, I'm not exactly hiking with it, but on my daily commute and the one trip I've taken it on I have found it to be nothing but comfortable.

Issues:

- The only minor issue I have with the bag is that the hidden document pocket is not deep enough for putting your plane tickets in without holding them. It's not a huge issue to be honest, but something that an extra couple of inches would have avoided all together.

Overall, I'm a huge fan. This backpack is made with high-quality materials, and looks it too. The gray color scheme is very slick - professional enough without being too business-like. The protection factor, however, is what really has me sold on this bag. It has completely eliminated the need for extra sleeves for my laptop and other devices.

Despite the one very minor issue, I can easily rate this at five stars with a strong recommendation!

100% Natural All Purpose Cleaner (2 Pack) Streak-Free & Non-Toxic - Developed by Doctors, Safe on All Surfaces - Hypoallergenic & Biodegradable Multi-Surface & Glass Cleaner - Kid & Pet Safe Formula - Streakless Stainless Steel Solution - Quickly Remove Messes Without Any Harsh Chemicals - Made in USA - Green Tea & Lime Essential Oils - 32 Ounce Spray Bottle - 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
Offered by Puracy All Natural Home Essentials
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully on glass!, June 2, 2014
As I mentioned in my last review of Puracy's laundry detergent, I can be skeptical of all-natural products at times. Often I find myself choosing between a safe product that does an okay job and a chemical-based product that does a great job. After throughly enjoying Puracy's laundry detergent, I decided it was time to bust out the multi-surface cleaner and give it a shot! Puracy sent me a sample of this product, this review is my honest opinion.

Let me just say up front - I'm impressed by Puracy's product again. I was impressed at how well it cleaned my counters. I was even more impressed when (after letting it sit for a minute or two) my stainless steel sink came up sparkly. But I was most impressed when I used this one my windows and mirrors. Using a microfiber, lint-free cloth, there was not a streak in sight. Seriously, this product works as well as Windex when it comes to cleaning glass.

Combine the fact that it cleans well with a wonderful smell and all-natural ingredients, and you have a winner in my book. My ONLY complaint is that ounce-for-ounce it is a little bit more expensive than most household all-purpose cleaners, but honestly it's a very minor complaint as I've found that most all-natural cleaners have a price premium. I assume it has something to do with a barrel of lime juice probably costing a little bit more than a barrel of cleaning chemicals.

Overall, I'm very pleased and definitely recommend this cleaner. If you have pets or children, a non-toxic cleaner is a must and Puracy's Multi-Surface cleaner works better than any others I have tried!

Puracy 100% Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent, Free & Clear, 64 Loads, 4x Concentrated, Non-Toxic & Hypoallergenic
Offered by Puracy All Natural Home Essentials
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I used to be skeptical..., June 2, 2014
Question: how can something with barely a trace of laundry detergent smell leave clothes smelling so fresh?
Answer: No. Freakin'. Clue.

I was sent a sample of Puracy's laundry detergent to review, and to be honest with you, I was a little hesitant at first. In my experience, natural and alternative cleaning products don't clean as well as their chemical-ridden counterparts. I've tried several cleaning brands stocked by Whole Foods Market, and each time went back to what I was using before. Still, Puracy seemed to have good reviews already so I decided to give it a shot.

I'm impressed. No seriously, I really like this product. It came shipped in a way that it was near impossible for any spills during shipping (unless you have a PARTICULARLY enthusiastic delivery person) and right away went to work on a basket of laundry. I was surprised when I noticed no real odor from the laundry detergent itself, and again a little skeptical, but there was no point in turning back now. Eight pumps from the handy measuring pump went in to my non-HE washer, and off it went, on cold (I haven't washed clothes in hot water in a very long time).

The clothes came out clean. Not only did they come out clean, they came out completely odorless beyond smelling fresh! Now I'll admit, I do enjoy the smell of laundry detergent/clean clothes, but since I use dryer sheets there's really no need for a strong-smelling detergent in the washer. (Hey, if Puracy wants to make a nice-smelling dryer sheet without chemicals, I'll buy that too!)

Overall, I was very pleased with this laundry detergent. It is made without harsh chemicals, is hypoallergenic and biodegradable (if these things are important to you) and with 64 loads worth of detergent at $14 retail (current price), this is really an efficient way to do laundry all around. Works wonderfully on cold wash settings.

Honestly? I'm sold. I would love to see this get picked up by some brick and mortar stores (maybe it already has?), but until it's on the shelves at my local Target, I'll be ordering it from Amazon in the future. Rarely does a brand win me over, but Puracy has done just that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20