Profile for Ciaran > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ciaran RSS Feed
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aukey 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub Portable Multi-Port USB 3.0 Desktop Hub Powered for Mac, Windows, and Any PC, Aluminum Case with 12V 3A Power Adapter and 3.3ft USB 3.0 Cable
Offered by Amzdeal Direct
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $37.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Aukey!, November 9, 2014
To preface, I am a Macbook Pro owner and I use a Mac Pro at work. I had to add USB 3.0 support to each using aftermarket cards, but even then I only have 2 USB ports on my Macbook Pro and one USB 3.0 port. When you take into account a keyboard, mouse and USB 3.0 card reader, that leaves nowhere to plug in my external hard drive, a USB drive if and when I need to and that's not touching the various computer accessories I have. When Aukey approached me to review this item (I promised only my HONEST opinion in return) my first thought was "Oh, not another USB hub". They seem to be something manufacturers often want reviewed. Then I looked at the product picture, and knew I had to accept.

Let me get straight to the point - the performance of this hub is on par with other USB 3.0 hubs on the market (at least the 4-5 I have reviewed in the past year or two), but more than likely you're here because of that sweet aluminum design and complete lack of shiny black plastic. If aesthetics is what you're going for, look no further. The craftsmanship is there, the weightiness is there and the performance is about as good as you can get. With a dedicated power adapter and 7-ports, I literally have to look no further for a USB hub.

I'm VERY impressed. A lot of time items sent to me to review are given to friends or donated, but this baby is staying with me.

Aukey® SuperSpeed 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Disk External Enclosure for 9.5mm & 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD & SSD, DS-B4
Offered by Amzdeal Direct
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, November 9, 2014
This is not my first 2.5" enclosure - from $5 altoids tin-resembling drives to more expensive enclosures, I've owned 4-5 by this point in time. I have to say, the Aukey might just be my favorite. The manufacturer sent me a sample of this item - this review is my honest opinion.

Let's start with the feature I am most pleased about - the design. Gone are the days of taking two tiny screws out of each side of the drive to insert a drive, lining everything up and then hoping you don't strip the heads on the cheap screws - this enclosure has a very simple but well made sliding mechanism that allows you to insert your drive and simply slide the top back on securely. I was impressed with the snug fit and feel confident that it own't come apart by accident at any time.

The drive comes with a USB 3.0 interface and cable, and transfer speeds are excellent. Of course you have to keep in mind that transfer speeds are made up of three parts: the read speed of source drive, the write speed of target drive and the interface used, but as long as all three of those are fast (I'm using an SSD as target and 7200rpm source drive) you're going to see some solid speeds!

I've been using this as a time machine backup that I can store in a safe in case of catastrophic failure, and I'm very pleased with both the quality of build and performance. Worth paying a little extra for over cheaper drives, in my opinion!

EnPassion® 20 Functions Bike Bicycle Computer Stopwatch - Wired Multi-Function Cycling Speedometer Odometer / Waterproof Backlight LCD Display / 1-Year Warranty
Offered by SKYBOK
Price: $90.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts from an avid cyclist., November 8, 2014
I am not said avid cyclist, however my girlfriend's father is so when I was approached to review this item he said he would give it a whirl. He is an avid cyclist, and somewhat of a techy - I trust his feedback. I was asked for my honest feedback, so here it is as sent to me:

"1. No installation instructions.
2. Operation instructions useless. Played with for 30 minutes and still could not get it set up right.
3. Never worked well...speed fluctuated from zero to 30 while riding a steady pace.
4. Wire pulled out of the sensor during the first ride.
5. Not enough zip ties to install.
6. 1/2 of the zip ties broke during installation.

Did not make it out of the neighborhood before the wire came out (hanging) so I turned around, came home, took it off and then went for my ride.

The item was a mess...not practical for casual riders because of no installation instructions and not reliable enough for fitness riders like me."

I guess that about sums it up. The quality is not there, nor is the reliability. I hate to say it, but you might want to give this computer a miss. There are other options out there.

HDTV Antenna, 1byone Square TV Antenna for UHF/VHF/FM with Built-in Amplifier for Extreme Performance, Made of Superior Material and Designed with Anti-UV Coating, Waterproof, Snowproof and Insolation Resistant, Ideal for Both Indoor and Outdoor, Easier Installation with Antenna Base [ONE YEAR Warranty]
Offered by 1byone
Price: $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad choice., November 8, 2014
I haven't ever had cable. Living in a big city, I can get the three or four channels I watch the most using an antenna. When 1byone contacted me to review this item, I decided to give it a shot promising only my honest opinion.

Let me get straight to the point - this is not a bad antenna by any means. I get clear HD reception for the same channels that I get with my small paper-thin antenna. So why not five stars? Two reasons.

1) This doesn't get better reception than the super low profile flat antenna I bought on Amazon some years ago. I thought I might be able to at least pick up some new channels, but no such luck.
2) It's a little bulky. It's not something you really want to keep by your TV, but being powered it's also not exactly convenient to hang outside either unless you can run wires somehow (which I can't).

Like I said, it's not a bad antenna by any means - it performs as well as my current antenna and I think it will really work for some people depending on their location. But since it doesn't perform better than my current antenna, the bulkiness means that I won't be switching to using this on a daily basis. Should be fine for some, but if you're looking for something for an apartment you might want to try one of 1byone's smaller antennas.

2nd HDD SSD caddy Apple MacBook/ Pro A1181 A1260 A1261 Sata to IDE/PATA New DV23
Offered by SEENIGHT
Price: $12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for non-unibody macbook pros., November 8, 2014
If you have an aluminum non-unibody macbook pro (silver keyboard, not black), this is the hard drive caddy for you! After replacing my internal hard drive with an SSD, I decided I wanted a little extra storage instead of a DVD drive. Because the DVD drive on this model of macbook uses PATA (IDE) instead of SATA, you need THIS caddy and not any of the other more easily found caddies. Keep in mind, you'll be running at IDE speeds, however I store my movies, music and files on this drive and have had no issues accessing any of them. Transfer is a little slow, but reading is no problem.

Installation was simple, and if you're buying this you should be prepared to get your hands dirty. The first caddy swap is a little nervewracking, but if you follow guides found on sites like iFixit you should have no problem! Came with the hardware and tools needed to install. Five stars easy.

1byone Easy Chime Wireless Doorbell Door Chime, Nice and Luxurious Modern Digital Doorbell with LED Flashing Indicator, 16 Built-in Sweet Songs, Perfect Sound Quality, Very Loud and Adjustable Volume, Available Switch to Sound Mode or LED Flashing Mode, Color White
Offered by 1byone
Price: $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, November 8, 2014
When moving in to my new apartment, I found that the wired doorbell was no longer working - after replacing the batteries I came to the conclusion that the wiring must be faulty. I live in a converted factory warehouse - there's no way I could access the wiring, which seems to have been run BEHIND the brick walls. When 1byone contacted me about reviewing this item, I jumped at the chance promising only my honest opinion.

There isn't much distance between the transmitter and receiver, however the walls are solid brick and the door is metal so I was pleased when I found there to be no issues with reception! Installation was easy - a few AAA batteries in the receiver and I was good to go. Set up was simple too - after using Command tape to hang the transmitter, I started playing around with the buttons on the side. I found the volume I wanted (easily loud enough in my large apartment without using the highest setting) and then had fun cycling through the chimes. Some of them are...well let's just say I don't want to have a dance party EVERY time UPS shows up, but I found a nice quad-tone airport announcement tone that I've been using for several months now.

With good reception, perfectly acceptable sound quality and enough chimes to please anyone, I have no problem recommending this product!

Ohuhu® 5 in 1 (Golden, Silver, White, Black, Translucent) Studio Lighting Reflection Round Collapsible Reflector 43" / 110cm
Offered by Ohuhu Direct
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints so far., November 8, 2014
I don't use a reflector all that often, preferring natural light for photography, however there are those times when you just need a little more light for a portrait. Ohuhu approached me to review a couple of items, and I did so on the basis that this review would be my honest opinion.

Gone are the days when expensive photography gear dominated the market - entry-level and even prosumer DSLR cameras changes all of that, and I have to say I'm not sad about it. Ask anyone shooting film professionally a decade or so ago whether they thought we would be seeing $200 studio lighting kits and they probably would give you a resounding "no". Sure, there are a lot of cheaply made accessories out there, but I'm pleased to report that though inexpensive, the Ohuhu reflector is not sub-par. I have owned both a Fotodiox reflector ($35 or so, and given to a young budding photographer friend of mine) and one from Neewer (less than $20 and which I still own) and I have to say that the quality of the Ohuhu sits right in between them (which makes sense given it's price right in the middle).

I won't go into detail about what a reflector is used for or how to use it - there are plenty of resources on the web for doing just that (I would link if Amazon allowed it), but the folding action of this reflector is about as simple as it gets. I have to fight with my Neewer reflector every now and then, but the Ohuhu collapses nicely. The materials used seem to be of good quality, and I will say that the interior metal frame seems a lot sturdier than that of my Neewer reflector.

Overall this is a very reasonable price for a reflector, and I have no complaints about quality. I'll update this review over time to comment on how well it holds up, but as of right now I have no problem recommending it.

Ohuhu® DSLR Digital Camera Gadget Organizer Bag, Water-proof Canvas Material outside and Shock-proof Sponge Case inside
Offered by Ohuhu Direct
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so very, very pleased., November 8, 2014
I'm sure to some this will make me sound like I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to photography, but I've been shooting professionally for about 6 years now, and I'm always on the lookout for new gear. Ohuhu approached me about reviewing a couple of their items, and I agreed to give my honest opinion.

First of all, I LOVE the aesthetic of this bag. The rugged canvas look is something I've always appreciated, and I have to say that the product picture doesn't quite do this bag justice! It looks wonderful in person, and I've had several compliments from other photographers. The second thing I like is that it doesn't look like a camera bag - I'm not saying that I consider this to be a reliable aspect in terms of theft determent, however I have heard of camera bags being a big target for theft, so I give it points there. Finally, the bag is a LOT bigger than it looks in the pictures - I can currently fit:

- Canon DSLR with battery grip
- Canon 28-135mm Zoom Lens
- Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime Lens
- Yashica 50mm 1.9 Prime Lens
- External flash
- Three spare batteries and battery charger
- Misc. cards, cloths, card reader, lens pen, notepad, pens etc....

For a daily carry/walkaround bag, that's not half bad! The construction of the bag seems excellent - I'll update the review over time but the bag is double-stitched (something that is vital when you're carrying around expensive gear, and the zippers don't seem at all cheap. The interior gear padding is on-par with my older LowePro bag and has adjustable walls so you can create your ideal setup inside.

So are there any cons? Not really. The strap is wide enough to where it doesn't really need any padding, something you'll see on other camera bags. The only thing I would like to see on any future revisions would be some sort of organizer on the inside of the large front pocket. Maybe a couple of zippered waterproof pockets and some pen loops or something along those lines?

Overall, I'm very pleased. This is now my most used camera bag! I would LOVE to see an even larger version from Ohuhu - one that could fit a couple of bodies and a few lenses for wedding work. Highly recommended at this point, and I will update the review to comment on durability over time.

Kocaso NB1400  13.3-Inch Netbook
Kocaso NB1400 13.3-Inch Netbook

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm underwhelmed., November 8, 2014
As a very early adopter of the Google Chromebook and a long user of linux, I'm no stranger to "alternative" operating systems. Sure my main systems are Macs dual-booting OS X and Windows, but I love to tinker, and I love to try new technology. I was pretty excited when Kocaso approached me to review a laptop, phone and tablet of theirs. This review is my honest opinion.

Let me preface - I have been using the Kocaso phone and tablet since they arrived, and I enjoy those immensely. I don't want anyone to think that Kocaso is a sup-par brand - sure they make cheaper technology and there are a few trade-offs, but overall I have been pleased with their tech. This netbook is the one exception.

STARTING WITH THE PROS
- The screen is sharp, if a little lacking in brightness
- The keyboard is great for typing (full size)
- Overall, performance wasn't half bad for browsing/emails
- SUPER lightweight and portable

THE CONS
- Screen is a little too dark for anything but dimmer lighting
- The keyboard types well, but half the time apps won't recognize the enter key, the backspace key and you can't hold down shift for caps, you have to tap caps lock on and off
- The speakers are worse that those on the tablet I received from Kocaso - definitely need updating
- The trackpad is erratic, the mouse buttons are incredibly stiff
- The battery life is pretty low - only an hour or two of real-life usage
- The charge is only a few feet long - not even long enough to sit in bed with, and I have an outlet right next to me on the floor
- Performance was okay for general browsing, but Youtube videos and the Netflix app were choppy.

I really did have higher expectations for this netbook. To be fair, even the Chromebook's trackpad was a little sub-par compared to what I'm used to, but with how erratic and clunky it was, I simply couldn't use this netbook without a mouse (Kocaso includes one in the box, so I guess there's that). What really was tough to get past was the keyboard performance. Typing in my Wi-Fi password is always the first thing I do on portable devices, and since my wifi password has capital letters, it took me five minutes to figure out that Shift+c would not give me C, but that I had to tap caps lock to get capital letters. Then I mis-typed a letter and couldn't use the backspace. Then I couldn't just hit enter to confirm anything (including URLS in the stock browser).

I would love to give this a better rating, and I think with a slightly brighter screen, a better trackpad and some work on a custom driver for the keyboard to fully function, this would be a great little netbook. As it stands, I can't really recommend it. It's too much of a frustrating piece of technology, and the only scenario I can imagine this being a good purchase would be as a first laptop/netbook for a younger child to learn on. Even then, I would probably buy a Chromebook or a used old macbook for the same price.

Jumbl High-Resolution 22MP All-In-1 Scanner/Digitizer - Converts 35mm Negative Films, 35mm Slides, 110, 126, and Super 8 Film to 22-Megapixel Digital JPEGs - No Computer/Software Required to Operate - Features 2.4" Color LCD & TV Out - Includes Speed-Load Adapters for Fast Repeat Scanning of Slides & Negatives
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $99.99
4 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings new speeds and convenience to scanning film!, September 3, 2014
As a photographer who still shoots film on a regular basis I was excited when I was approached to review this item. I love all things film, and even though I own a $140 Epson flatbed scanner with film attachments, I'm always up for trying new technology. This review is my honest opinion.

I ran 35mm negatives (color and black and white) as well as color slides through the jumblr. Because I have many points to hit and I don't want to lose everyone in a wordy review, I have organized my thoughts into bullet points below:

PROS
- Large screen for previewing
- 22MP/14MP Resolution is more than enough for prints
- Quality was not at all bad - excellent for digitizing family photos
- Can take 35mm Negative and Slide film, as well as 110, 126, 127 and Super 8!!!
- Tray system is easier to use than my Epson scanner
- Menu system is relatively simple (although not 100% intuitive)
- Video out port (and cable) included for sharing slides on your TV/digital projector! I tried this and it is as good as you will need for sharing memories
- SD Port means you can blast through film without having to wait for computer/software, upload when you're done!
- Powered by a standard USB cable (wall adapter included)

CONS
- Image quality is not AS good as my $140 Epson Scanner

OVERALL
With so many pros and only one con which could easily be considered as up for interpretation, I have to say that I am very pleased with this scanner. If your rolls are pre-cut as mine were, you can blast through tons of film, saving to an SD card, and then just upload the whole lot to your computer. I found that the Jumbl scanner lends itself to ease of use and speed - the quality leaves a little bit to be desired, but then again I'm a photographer and rather picky about those sorts of things. I have NO problem recommending this for anyone looking to digitize a collection of family photos or even for amateur film photographers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20