Profile for Ciaran > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ciaran RSS Feed
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sentey® Bluetooth Headphones V4.0 Stereo B-trek H9 Ls-4560 with Microphone Headset Foldable Including Transport Carrying Case - Headphone Gaming Headset Wireless Headphones and Wired Operation , 40mm Drivers, Impedance 32ohms CSR Chipset - Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone - Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Bluetooth Wireless Headphones - Wireless Gaming Headphones and Wireless Gaming Headset Compatible with Apple Ipad Ipod or Iphone or Any Mp3 and DVD Player -- Great Bass and Good for Working Out and Running Sports Trips Airplanes and More - Had Analog Connection Too - Get Music with This Fantastic Music Headphones Built in Microphone Is Compatible with Any Pc or Mac Computer As Skype or Gaming Headset , Tablet , Smartphone, Music Player - Audio Soundstage Is Way Better Than Any USB Headphone - Lightweight Portable Stereo Over the Ear Adjustable Headband - Works with Any Wired Audio or Video Streaming - For Children, Kids, Men or Women - Amazing Sound - The Included Microphone Let You Talk Over the New Iphone 6 and Iphone 6 Plus Compatible - Best Super Portable Top Rated Sound- Indoor - Outdoor - For Car Mobile Sound - Around the Ear Premium Cushions with Passive External Noise Isolation - Free Transport Carrying Case for Travel Included - Real the Ones Bluetooth Headphones with Audiophile High End Level
Offered by Sentey
Price: $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent pair at this price with some shortcomings., May 6, 2015
*Quick Quote: If you're looking for a reasonably priced pair of bluetooth headphones, these aren't a bad option. Sound quality is good, build quality is decent.*

I've reviewed maybe a dozen pairs of bluetooth headphones, ranging from $20 to $200 or so. Sentey sent me a sample of these to review as part of their power user program - as always (and thankfully as the program stipulates) I give only my honest opinion.

The H9's come folded in a hard shell for protection, and include a charger cable and a 3.5mm male-to-male audio cable. So the first thing I want to point out, is that these use a proprietary charger cable that goes into the headphone jack. Right off, this lost these headphones half a star. If you're traveling, particularly overseas as I have recently, you really want to reduce the amount of cables you want to bring, not increase them. Also if you lose the cable, you'll be out of a charge until you can procure a replacement.

The folding mechanism of the headphones is nice, although not as smooth as others I have tried. They are comfortable to wear, blocking out enough sound for noisier locations to make it a useful feature.

Control is relatively simple, including an on/off/call/play/pause combo button, and two others for increasing volume/skipping forward and vice versa for the other button. The built-in microphone, I am told, is not bad. Not as good as speaking directly into your phone, but over bluetooth that's no surprise.

Audio quality is very decent. Nothing to rave about, but certainly good for this price range. I mainly listen to audiobooks, and for that they are just fine, although music sounded just fine also. If you're looking for audiophile headphones, these aren't the pair for you, but then again at this price it shouldn't be expected.

The other half star I removed to bring this down to a four star review was the build quality. Along the edges of where the headphones fold I had a couple of sharp surfaces. Usually these are filed down if necessary after the plastic has been moulded, but not so in this case. Generally, these headphones don't have a high quality build. They're not bad, but certainly I've experienced nicer at this same price point.

Overall, not a bad pair of headphones. They're good value for the money spent, and the sound quality is definitely satisfactory enough. Poor build quality and a proprietary charging cable keep these from being five stars for me.

Ebest - CREE T6 1-Mode 1000-Lumen Memory White LED Flashlight (not included 1x18650)
Offered by Optimal Shop
Price: $8.99
3 used & new from $8.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not one mode, but a powerful flashlight nevertheless, May 2, 2015
To start, I have to echo other reviewers - this is not a single mode flashlight. It has multiple, and as long as you're aware of that before you buy it (and don't care), it's actually pretty great. The manufacturer sent me a sample of this flashlight to try out - as always I only promised my honest opinion based on real experience with the product in question.

So as I said - this is NOT a one mode flashlight. It has three - high power, low power and strobe. This a pain, for as a I mentioned in my review of its younger brother, it has mode memory so that if you turn it off while on strobe, it will be on strobe when you turn it back on which, if this is a little while later, can blind you in the dark.

Still, if you're aware of that and keep it in single high power mode, you can avoid the other modes altogether (double press for mode change). The construction is much nice than I expected, and I have to admit that I was kinda pleased to see a warning label near the lens - I figured it would have to be SUPER bright to warrant one. Overall - I was not too disappointed. I'm not convinced it's 1000 lumens (which is what my photography studio lights are rated at) but it is by FAR the most powerful flashlight I have used to date. The spread is like a friggin' guard tower spot...

With a solid construction and more than satisfactory power (see the pictures in my review for how bright it is in broad daylight), I have no problem recommending this. The non-standard battery is a pain, AND NOT INCLUDED (in case you missed it), but I have a rechargeable one I use and that has worked great so far. Warms up a little after extended use, but nothing that concerns me. Not a single mode light, but a good one nonetheless.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SecurityIng® Portable 150 Lumens Zoomable Mini LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Fucus Bright Light Lamp 3 Modes Torch with Clip for Night Walking, Reading, Hiking and Other Outdoor Activities (AA Battery Not Included)
Offered by ePathDirect
Price: $6.62
2 used & new from $6.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable amount of light for the size, May 2, 2015
I own both this flashlight and one from another brand that is nearly identical in all respect, aside from the size of the LED and the size of the battery compartment - the other runs on 18650 batteries and claims to be 1000 lumens. Both were sent to me by the manufacturers to test, and I promised only my honest opinion.

This is definitely a pocket sized flashlight - small enough to not cause any bother in a purse or even a pocket. It also runs on AA batteries (1xAA, not included), which are both cheaper and more easily found than the massive 18650 that powers its older brother. Of course, the smaller size means less light - significantly so. To put it this way - if you drop your car keys in the dark, the SecruityIng mini flashlight will be a godsend. If you're walking in the woods at night, you'll want something more powerful. The build quality is better than expected for the price. The clip is handy - I have attached it to my hiking bag and it seems pretty solid.

I really wish this were a one-mode flashlight. Personally, I don't have much use for strobe or low power modes, but maybe that's just me. The reason why this is a four star and not five star review is the mode memory. If you turn it off of a different mode, the flashlight will still be on that mode when you turn it back on. This is very inconvenient when you're blinded a little by a strobe instead of a solid beam. The power is acceptable for a single AA battery, but nothing too crazy. You can also "focus" the lens, narrowing or widening the beam.

Overall, it's not bad and for the price I really have no problems recommending it. I'll be testing it over time to see how it holds up. The mode thing is a pain, but overall I'm pleased with this flashlight.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Optimal Shop Latest M8 Amlogic S802 Quad Core Cortex A9 2.0GHz Bluetooth Quad Core Android 4.4 Smart Mini Pc Tv Box Xbmc Wifi 4K KIT KAT Ultra HD 3D+5G Best You Will Find

5.0 out of 5 stars For Netflix and playing movie, performs great, April 30, 2015
I had been thinking about getting an android media box for some time - really I only use my TV for a couple of things:

- Watching my digital movie collection
- Watching documentaries on Netflix
- The odd Youtube video

An inexpensive and low-power consumption TV box seemed like the way to go. Optimal Shop sent me a sample of their M8 to test out - I promised only my honest opinion in return.

Included in the box is the media player, an HDMI cable (I have others I prefer but it worked fine) and the power brick. First off, I noticed two things. First was that the design of the M8 was pretty sleek (despite not having the weight of the AppleTV I have also owned), and the second thing was that I wish the power cable were a little longer.

Load up was as simple as hitting "on" on the remote (2xAA batteries not included), although it was definitely a little slower than I expected. Hooking up to my wifi network was simple, although I would definitely recommend picking up a media remote with a keyboard - entering my wifi password was enough for me to grab mine and plug it in (no issues recognizing it).

The first thing I tried was Youtube. The video played absolutely fine (no buffering and the quality was great). I tried navigating with the included remote, but it was almost impossible for me. I often had to hit the cursor button (which moves slowly) just to select what I wanted. It was much easier with my keyboard remote. Besides that - no issues.

Second, I plugged in one of my USB drives with movies on it. Using the file browser I navigated to the folder I needed and selected it - The Book of Life (lovely animated film). It played the entire movie without any issues at all, and the interface was simple to use.

Before moving on to Netflix, I want to point out that overall I have found the M8 to be a little bit sluggish in terms of interface. It doesn't have the super fast response of the PS3 and AppleTV. That said, it was definitely better than my Vizio smart TV - I mean significantly. If you've felt the pain of using a Vizio smart TV and know how slow that is (or at least on mine, less than 2 years old), this will absolutely be a step up.

So that brings us to Netflix. In terms of playing videos, the quality was great and I had no buffering (or no more than is usual for my service provider's internet). The interface was definitely not as smooth as it is on the PS3. It's not bad per se, so perhaps I'm just adjusting to an Android box.

I also like the browser feature - obviously not for any serious surfing, but for the odd Google or Wikipedia search it works. I have yet to try the Facebook and Skype features (I don't use either very often) but that will be something I'll play around with and report back on.

OVERALL
1.This is a neat little box.
2. The quality is just fine
3. BUY A MULTIMEDIA REMOTE!

My only comparisons are my PS3 and old AppleTV, both of which are more expensive, so for the price it's listed at I'm actually pretty impressed. For my needs, it's definitely enough. The quality is good, the streaming functionality is there, and despite having a remote that I'm not totally in love with and a little bit of a slower interface, it's definitely going to be sitting by my TV for a while. Overall, I can definitely recommend this. I will update my review if there are any issues, but for now this is five stars for me.
Comment Comment | Permalink

FLEXIMOUNTS M01 Desk Mount for 10''-27'' Samsung/Dell/Asus/Acer/HP/AOC LED/LCD/PDP Computer Monitor flat screen panel(desk mount),3% off purchase of 2 items or more
Offered by FLEXIMOUNTS
Price: $99.99
3 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Set up was easier than expected, the flexibility is fantastic!, April 28, 2015
I've long been using various mount for monitors, iPads and the like. I love taking things off of my desk (easier to clean) and being able to adjust screens as necessary (beyond the couple degrees of tilt most of them have) is something that truly makes using a computer easier for me. I work at a printing company, and often have to get up and down to go to the shop and back to my desk - being able to adjust a monitor without sitting down to check on the status of a job to the large format printer etc. really is convenient. Fleximounts sent me a sample of this mount to review, I promised as always only my honest opinion in return.

So there are two ways to mount this thing - an invasive way that includes some drilling/cutting and a less-invasive way that uses a clamping mechanism. I opted for the former, wanting the highest stability possible although I did play around with the clamping method and it seemed pretty sturdy.

Fleximounts provides everything you will need to put this thing together, including tools (although you will need to use your own power tools). It's a little daunting at first, but I found the instructions to be pretty straight forward and the parts are separated into numbered baggies for convenient referencing. It only took a few minutes of my time, and the instructions were relatively clear.

Taking the stand off of my 24" LED Dell Ultrasharp, I attached it to the panel included with the M01 (VESA compatible) and let go. It only took a few tweaks of the mount's torque to get it where it was perfectly fluid and balanced against the weight of my particular monitor. Due to the overall quality of materials, I fully trust this with my new-ish monitor.

What really makes this mount shine is the flexibility it offers. I am able to tilt and swivel my monitor to meet my needs and then some! With just a few light adjustments I can come back to my desk, tilt the monitor to an optimal position for viewing while standing, and then bring it back to where I need it when I sit back down. For anyone with a need for a flexible monitor, or even if you just need a couple of monitors at a specific angle for an optimal multi-screen experience, I can HIGHLY recommend this Fleximounts monitor mount. For the price, the quality is better than I expected and you even get a little USB hub to boot (I have a wireless keyboard and mouse but it's great for USB drives!)

Definitely recommended, and they also have a silver USB 3.0 version if you want to spend a little more.

iphone 6 Case (4.7 Inch) - CrystalSkin Ultra by PhoneCandy [LIFETIME WARRANTY] World's Slimmest (0.3mm) [SCRATCH RESISTANT] Best Slim Fit - New Clear Protective Skin - for Men, Women, Girls and Boys - Latest Ultra Thin Design - Transparent Flexible Protector - Phone Sleeve Cover for Apple iphone - Luxury Soft Feel - Ultra Durable - Gift Boxed
Offered by Monteith-Macfarlane
Price: $11.99
2 used & new from $5.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected for the price - works with glass screen protector., April 28, 2015
This is by far one of the simplest iPhone cases I have used, but if you look at the reviews, it seems as though simplicity and quality are a real winner! Phone Candy sent me a sample of this item to test, I promised only my honest opinion in return.

There are a couple of things that I really like about this case. Of course it's made of better materials than expected for the price (as others have pointed out) but my two favorite points are:

1) It's clear without looking cheap, allowing the beauty of Apple''s phone design to shine through.
2) Although it wraps around the front of the phone, there is still room for a thin glass screen protector.

The second is really key for me - I ALWAYS put a glass screen protector on my phone, and if a case can't accommodate one I simply don't use the case. I was pleased to see that the PhoneCandy case had no issues with a glass screen protector, albeit quite a thin one (which I prefer to use anyhow).

Made of durable materials that are of higher quality that I expected for the price, I have no problem recommending this case with no issues noted thus far. As always I will update my review if it falls apart any time soon.

BmBu Natural ToothBrush ★ Soft Bristle 3 Pack ★ Made with High Quality, Sustainably Grown Bamboo ★ Biodegradable Packaging
Offered by Standard Modern Company
Price: $14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A competitively priced, well-performing alternative!, April 28, 2015
I have to admit I wasn't sure about BmBu's offer to try out their toothbrushes - for some reason the idea of a wooden toothbrush handle (albeit bamboo) induced a fear of oral splinters...still I promised an honest review so here it is.

I'm actually very pleased with this toothbrush! The Bamboo handle has not only stood up to several months of brushing and getting wet, but it's responsibly sourced and biodegradable, two terms that always win points with me. In terms of ergonomics, it's as good as most other toothbrushes I've owned, and I was surprised at how over-engineered most brands' designs have become. Besides - any reduction in the plastic I'm using is just fine with me.

The bristles are recyclable (haven't gotten that point yet, however), comfortable to use and stay put over time.I have used both the soft and medium brushes and have been quite pleased with both. I prefer a firmer toothbrush but actually the medium brush was ample for my needs.

Overall, this is a perfectly acceptable replacement for most toothbrushes, and you will quickly start to wonder why you needed the latest super-ultra ergonomic toothbrush with four different gripping points or whatever it is this week from some of the larger manufacturers, and may even begin to appreciate the lack of plastic waste that goes into something that can be made relatively easily.

Overall, it works great and is environmentally-friendly. What more can you want? I will be buying from this brand in the future.

OxyLED® 2-Pack SL05 Solar Powered Low Voltage Automatic Stainless Steel Staircase LED Solar Step Lights
Offered by Hisgadget Inc
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ample light for stairs, inexpensive and powered by a renewable!, April 27, 2015
You know, I wasn't expecting too much from these lights due to the size, but honestly I have been pretty pleased with them. OxyLED sent me a sample to review, as always I promised only my honest opinion in return.

One thing to note right off the bat, these are intended as stair lighting or other downward-directed lighting purposes. With the solar panel on the top, inverting them would mean the panel doesn't get enough light to power up. I like that the batteries were included - this would definitely be a different star rating if not! They are also weather-resistant (not sure exactly what that means in terms of actual strong rain or snow) and freeze-proof.

The light that they put out is ample for a single stair, however I can't say that they are super bright and I wouldn't use them for much more than stairs or perhaps a light on a gate to see where it is. I currently am using them indoors (I have very large windows) to mark the doorways from the bathroom to the bedroom for when I have to get up in the night, and they are quite a nice little thing to have around.

I'm very enthusiastic about solar panel wherever possible, particularly for non-essential lighting. If you factor in the time and cost to wire up lights like this, or even have battery powered versions, this is an excellent set for a great price. I really have nothing negative to say about them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Apexel 3 in 1 Clip-on 180 Degree Full Screen Fisheye +0.67x Wide Angle + 10x Macro Lens for iPhone 6/ 6Plus, iPhone 5/5S/5C/4 Samsung HTC Sony LG (No Dark Circle by the Fisheye Lens)
Offered by consantdealus
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough for the price, April 27, 2015
**Quick Quote: This is a pretty decent kit for the price, with the macro being the best of the bunch, then the wide angle and finally the fish eye which suffers from pretty serious lens flare. Overall, there are better kits out there but you'll also be shelling out more money.**

I've used and reviewer a couple of lens kits by this point, but the Apexel's mounting is the most unique. Apexel sent me a sample of this kit to try out and review, and I always only give my honest opinion.

The three lenses and mount come in a little hard case, which is a nice touch. In case you're confused, the macro lens is actually inside the wide angle, and you have to unscrew the front of the wide angle to get at it. This took me a minute or two to figure out, but actually I don't mind the space-saving design. The little clip is both a neat idea (as it allows for near-universal phone compatibility) and a bit of a pain. I have to remove my phone case to use the kit. Still, it's easier than the last kit I tried with which you had to use a special phone case to use the lenses, and more secure than the magnetic rings I've used on another brand. With a little force, the clip slips around the base of the lens and is pretty snug - my only concern is how long the plastic clip will last using this mechanism.

The fisheye lens is probably my least favorite - although it allows for full screen fisheye (without black border/vignette), the quality is not all that impressive and it has some lens flare that is a pain outside or facing a light source. Not the worst I've used, but nothing to write home about.

The wide angle is nice, giving you a few degrees more of FOV. It's a little blurry around the edges, but the center quality is nicely sharp. See my comparison of the cardboard taxidermy in my images - the closer one is taken with my iPhone 5C and the wider one with the wide angle lens.

By far my favorite part of this kit is the macro lens. It gets SUPER close, and is pretty sharp in the middle. By nature, macro shots tend to leave a lot of blurriness in the background, but as you can see in my picture of the quarter, you can get an acceptable shot pretty uniformly. This is the salvation of this little kit, so if you're looking for a cheap decent quality macro I think this becomes worthwhile.

Overall, the quality isn't too bad, and the price is definitely attractive. I've tried kits close to $100, and although the quality is much better the price is also way higher. This is inexpensive, so anyone looking to expand their phone's photographical capabilities without dropping serious change might do just fine. As I said, the macro is where its at, the other lenses are okay so I'm rating this at 4 stars. I'll keep it in my camera bag to maybe see what it does for video. Recommended, with some reservations about the quality noted.

Charcoal White Pencils 2/Pkg-2B
Charcoal White Pencils 2/Pkg-2B
Price: $3.99
18 used & new from $2.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Chalk Wall Typography, April 27, 2015
After painting a chalk wall in my living room, I set out on a quest to find the best tools for typography and other such ventures. Chalk was often too thick and broke too easily, but was perfect for shading/blending. The charcoal sticks had great coverage, but lacked the finesse needed for typography. Finally after a little bit of searching, I found out about these Charcoal White pencils and decided to give them a try.

For fine lines, they are by far the best option for typography and drawing on a chalk wall. They have a sharp enough point to really get those edges on letters. They wear down a little quickly, but in my opinion it's worth it and since they can be sharpened with a regular pencil sharpener it's much more convenient that using a knife to get an edge on the charcoal sticks which tends to be quite wasteful.

As you can see from the picture I have attached to this review (a rough draft of something I was doodling), you really can achieve quite thin letters with the Charcoal pencils.

Overall, I am very pleased with these and will certainly be buying more in the future!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20