Profile for Ciaran > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ciaran RSS Feed
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mudder 360 Degree Rotation One Touch Windshield Dashboard Universal Car Mount Holder for Iphone 4s/ 5/ 5s/ 5c, Galaxy S4 / S3/ S2, Galaxy Note3/note 2, HTC One - Retail Packaging

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best I've used, but certainly a decent choice!, August 19, 2014
~~ Quick Quote: It fits an iPhone 4S and 5 (and will fit the 4, 5C and 5S too) and generally has a good range of movement. Loses a star for not dampening vibrations, but otherwise recommended. ~~

I've tried several dash mounts over the past couple of years, and I'm always on the search for that perfect mount - the manufacturer sent me a sample of this product, this review is my honest opinion.

So let's start with what does work on this mount. First of all, I am a BIG fan of the way this (and other mounts) snap around the phone. You don't have to fiddle with squeezing the mount to get your phone situated, which can be a pain sometimes - you simply press your phone back into the catch mechanism and the holding brackets snap into place. Points for that, for sure. I also like that the holding brackets are lined with foam - though I use a case on my iPhone 4S, not everyone does and the foam adds protection and better grip. I'm also pleased with the range of motion for this mount - with two individual points of rotation, you can DEFINITELY place your phone exactly where you want it. I have used mounts in the past that only had 8-12 points of rotation (on more of a cog than a sphere) and you had to fight with your phone not being level on either axis, which was a pain.

Don't think that you'll be fine with just sticking the suction cup on your windshield as-is...I did so and the mount fell off on the first 90+ degree day (on a cleaned windshield). You're going to need to add a little moisture to get it to really stick on. Saliva works, but that is going to dry out eventually. Certain car wipes have a small oil content which will work for longer, and there are even sprays specifically for this application (although I'm not sure they warrant the cost).

The reason why this isn't a five-star product is that I have noticed a lot of vibrations coming through the mount, more so than others. I'm not sure whether it has to do with general construction or the way the points of rotation were designed, but this mount definitely allows for more shakiness than others I have tried. It's not an issue on the highway, but I also have a relatively soft ride in my Subaru Outback, so I would take your driving habits and the hardness of your ride into consideration.

Besides this one point, I was generally very pleased with the Mudder mount's function and can recommend it with only some small reservation. I will update this review if my analysis changes at all!

Attmu Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Sets - 2 pk, 16 1/2" x 11 5/8" - Perfect Size Baking Sheet Mat for Your Baking Sheet - Non-Stick Cookie Mat and BPA Free Cookie Sheet Mat Set
Offered by Attmu Group
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I ever live without this?, July 18, 2014
~~ Quick Quote: I'm no sensationalist, but this has serious changed the way I cook. It's well made, cooks well, is non-stick and vastly reduces clean up. HIGHLY recommended! ~~

Seriously though, I'm going to sound like a shill in this review, but I'm really so impressed with the sample I received from the manufacturer. This is my honest opinion. To start, calling it a "cookie sheet" is a bit misleading...so far I have used it for cookies, bread, pizza and so much more! I was particularly impressed with the way it allowed the pizza to cook thoroughly on top without hardening up the base, something that baking trays will often do.

Oh and clean up? SO easy. The non-stick surface makes for a quick and easy clean up, and let's face it - a rollable silicone baking mat takes up a lot less room in my sink! I love that it's BPA free, too.

I have nothing but great things to say about this baking mat and highly recommend giving them a shot. At this price (and since you get two) you're more than likely not going to find a better deal at the store. Highly recommended without reservation.

Ouddy 22 Inch Aluminum Magnetic Knife Bar
Ouddy 22 Inch Aluminum Magnetic Knife Bar
Offered by Ouddy
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not half bad!, July 18, 2014
~~ Quick Quote: If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive but well-performing magnetic bar, the Ouddy knife bar does its job exceedingly well. Knives, kitchen gadgets and even tools stick to it, and mounting (with the included hardware) was a snap with the aid of a spirit level. Definitely recommended. ~~

I have always been intrigued my magnetic knife bars - they look so great in magazines and blogs but I've never been quite sure whether I would enjoy one during every day use. When I was offered a sample of this item by the manufacturer I decided to give it a try - this review is my honest opinion.

If you're like me the first thing you're going to do (before semi-permanently affixing this to the wall) is parade it around the house looking for suitable magnetic targets. You've gotta know that things will say put, right? Well a few knives (including a large chef's knife), some kitchen gadgets, a few screwdrivers, a pair of pliers and a metal sugar canister later, and I was convinced that the magnets were going to be strong enough. Mounting was simple, and with the two provided screws and drywall anchors (and my trusty spirit level) I had it on the wall in not time.

It is reasonable well constructed, with moulded plastic surrounding the dual magnetic strips. Overall I think it's not a bad price, although I must admit that I haven't done TOO much price comparison for similar items. Still, it works and I have no problem recommending it!

Fotasy EF42A Fotasy AF-Confirm M42 42mm Screw Mount Lens for Canon EOS EF Camera Adapter
Offered by RainbowImaging
Price: $9.59
2 used & new from $9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, June 9, 2014
I purchased two of these M42 adapters for a Yashica 50mm 1.8 lens and Pentax's 200mm takumar. I have long been using manual focus lenses on DSLR bodies - there is simply no other manner of getting good glass for your camera that is as cost-effective as this, while still providing exceptional image quality. The Fotasy EF42A is not dissimilar to other brands I have used over the years - they are simple in construction with the AF confirmation chip glued on so that it meets your DSLR's pins nicely.

I have use these adapters with both a crop frame camera (the Canon 30D) and a full frame body (Canon 6D). It worked wonderfully on both, and I find the focus confirmation to be quite accurate. Keep in mind that the use of older lenses on a full frame body can be a tricky business - some lenses protrude backwards far enough so as to interfere with the action of the mirror. I would HIGHLY suggest doing some research on whether your lenses are compatible with full frame bodies - you certainly don't want to damage your camera's mirror. So far, I have yet to encounter a crop sensor body that had mirror clearance issues, although I have had to shave off a couple of aperture levers in my time.

Overall, the Fotasy is of the same quality of other adapters I have tried, including Fotodiox (a popular brand). It fit nice and tightly with little to no wiggle room, so far the AF chips have stayed in place and focus is both accurate and infinite. I have no problem recommending this adapter for use with Canon DSLRs.

ORICO HF9US 9 Port USB 2.0 HUB & 2 Port Charging Port with Power Switch and Premium 12V 2.5A Power Adapter - Black
Offered by ORICO Technology Co.,Ltd
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Universal System BEAST., June 3, 2014
Maybe you don't need NINE USB data ports and two USB charging ports, but having this monster on your desk is certainly impressive. Okay so people may crack jokes about your compensating for something, but when your keyboard, mouse, USB drive, external hard-drive, USB headphones, Wacom tablet, USB monitor and USB coffee warmer are all plugged in and chugging along (on and your tablet and phone are both charging), who the heck will be laughing then? (Maybe don't try plugging all of those in at the same time...I'm not responsible if you do...) Orico provided me a sample of this product - this review is my honest opinion.

Okay seriously though, if you need USB expansion, this is the one to go with. It has three sets of three USB ports, each set with a dedicated on/off switch. I can't find a use for the on/off switch personally, but I'm sure there are people out there who seriously want the function - I can imagine turning off a grouping of USB mics all at one or something like that could be a godsend for someone in a studio somewhere. The charging ports are my favorite part - 2.4A is about 0.3A higher than other tablet/phone chargers I've used but still a safe amperage from what I understand.

The hub was plug and play in OSX and Windows, and apparently has built-in surge protection. I'm hoping I don't have to test that particular feature, but I'm not going to hang my hat on it until I've seen it in action. I have to agree with the reviewer above me - I wish the adapter were of a different style. Luckily I have a huge surge protector with plenty of space between outlets, but this is going to be a frustration for some users and is worth noting. Overall I'm pleased with the build quality, although I do find the finish to be prone to fingerprints.

Honestly, I can't find anything wrong with this hub. It has plenty of connectivity, looks good on my desk and although it's not CRAZY good value for money, it's definitely about right. We'll see how well it lasts, and I will update if I encounter any issues in the future.

ORICO 6619US3 5Gbps Super Speed USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive HDD Docking Station for 2.5 inch or 3.5" Hard drive - Black
Offered by andoer
Price: $25.88
18 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid design., June 3, 2014
I've owned several vertical docking stations at this point - a couple of no-name brands I've forgotten, one from Sabrent, another from StarTech and finally (the most expensive) a Vantec. It is important to keep in mind that a lot of brands are simply buying in bulk from Asian suppliers and branding them, so more often than not the reason you're saving money is because (a) you're not paying for a brand name, and (b) there's a little bit of R&D that's skipped out on. STILL, each company buying these bulk drives has to choose which one to invest in and I can tell you from personal experience, they are NOT all built the same. Orico sent me a sample of this device - this review is my honest opinion.

I'm not going to go too into depth here, but to preface I am what some might refer to as a "power user", and though my primary machine is a mac (I'm a creative professional), I use Windows and Linux (Arch and Ubuntu) on a regular basis.

DESIGN
Well unlike many of the docks I've tried, Orico got one thing right: this docking station has a weight base. I can say the same only for my Vantec - the others do NOT, and that makes me nervous. Let's face it, none of us value our data at the cost of a replacement hard-drive, at least I certainly don't. Base stability is HIGHLY important, and the Orico does it right.

SPEED
I was neither surprised nor displeased at the speed coming through the USB 3.0 connection with this dock. Using it on my Mac Pro and Windows/Linux box (each with USB 3.0) provided a good solid speed increase over USB 2.0, as expected. No benchmarks were performed.

VALUE
Currently priced at $29.99, the Orico 6619US3 is a middle-of-the-range dock with an affordable price. I think it's price about where it should be.

Allowing for 3.5" and 2.5" drives to be connected over USB 3.0, I think it's a very decent choice in a somewhat oversaturated market. A distinctive feature is the auto-sleep which reduces excessive wear on your harddrives. I can't find anything to complain about really - I've had no issues whatsoever but will update if I encounter anything.

Apple MFI Certified - Dual USB Ports 3.1A Portable USB Car Charger for iPhone 5 5S 5C 4 4S,iPad 4 3 2,iPad mini,iPad air, Battery Power Supply for All Apple Device - (Apple Certified Lightning Cable Included)
Offered by ROKER USA
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $18.73

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues here!, June 2, 2014
So if you're considering this car charger, you're probably looking at the twenty dollar price tag and wondering whether it's worth it. In my opinion, the answer is a resounding "yes"! I was sent a sample of this product, this review is my honest opinion.

So there's one term that is key here, and that's "MFI Certified". That means that this device was manufactured to Apple specifications. Why is this important? If you've ever seen the "charging is not supported with this device" message pop up on your iPhone, iPad or iPod, you'll know why it's important. Even cables that work to charge your device at first, can trip this message. So can iOS updates.

The lightning cable is really not bad at all. It's not the same soft plastic that Apple uses for their cables, but the quality is certainly there. The car charger itself has a small profile, and offers two USB ports (1A and 2.1A) for those who need them.

Overall, I'm very pleased with both the quality, design and functionality of this car charger and cable set. Given that a Lightning cable will run you nearly $10 anyway, it's not a half bad price for both accessories together. Recommended without reservation.

Swage Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Bluetooth V4.0 Perfect for Sports - Lightweight Sport Bluetooth Earphones Black
Price: $49.99
6 used & new from $44.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, just didn't work out for me..., June 2, 2014
One of the hardest things as a reviewer is balancing rating a product with your subjective experience vs. the experience that others may have. Let me start off by saying that for many people (as evidenced by the existing reviews), this will be a five star product hands-down. For me, however, it's coming in at four stars, and I'll explain why below. The manufacturer sent me a sample of this product, this review is my honest opinion.

Let's start of with where this product shines, and that's function. I found the audio quality to be really excellent, and perhaps even better than the price tag on these headphones would merit. Bass is nice a full, highs are crisp without being tinny, and there is no crackling at high volumes. Bluetooth range is very good - I can't tell you exactly what it will be like for you, but in my 1200 sq. ft. open-plan apartment I can roam around without any interference whatsoever.

The controls are not difficult to use, but it will take a few uses to get used to the placement, as with any such device. Pairing with my iPhone was simple, and I appreciate that it takes advantage of iOS' built in battery meter for bluetooth, something not all manufacturers seem to know or care about. Incoming audio quality on calls is excellent, outgoing I am told is decent but obviously not as good as speaking directly into the headset, but better than speakerphone. I'm thankful for friends who I can call and will put up with the MANY "Hey I'm calling you to test out bluetooth quality" calls the get :P

Now, here's where the headset loses a star, FOR ME. I honestly do not find them comfortable. I don't have a particular wide head or humongous ears or anything like that, so I was a little surprised to find that nearly everyone else though they were very comfortable. After about 20 minutes of use, I start to feel a little discomfort, after an hour I have to take them off! I owned headphones with this sport style before, and have had similar issues. Still, there you have it - the reason I'm not giving them five stars. Again, this is a personal thing, and many people find them to be super comfortable! With Amazon's excellent return policy, I would suggest still giving them a try and returning them if they're not comfortable for you - everything else about them is highly satisfactory.

Overall, an excellent product that just doesn't quite work for me. The quality of the electronics is above-par, the audio quality is excellent and if it wasn't for my finding it uncomfortable to use, these would easily become my workout headphones.

Four out of five stars, I can easily recommend you give them a shot and see if they work for you!

OGIO International Newt 15 Laptop Backpack, Dark Static
OGIO International Newt 15 Laptop Backpack, Dark Static
Offered by Shoebuy
Price: $99.95
2 used & new from $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars For my needs - ideal!, June 2, 2014
It has been a long time since I've owned a backpack - I'm sort of partial to knapsack-style bags. Still, I decided to give it a shot and see if I might be inclined to switch to a true backpack. Ogio sent me a sample of this backpack - this review is my honest opinion.

Let me start off by saying, this is a VERY low-profile backpack. If you're looking to carry around a lot of items or even college textbooks, there's a good chance it won't work for you. It simply was NOT designed for high-capacity. That said, it absolutely fulfills all of my needs. On a daily basis, I keep the following items in my bag without issue:

1) 15" Macbook Pro
2) Apple MagSafe Adapter
3) Slim penclic bluetooth keyboard
4) Apple Magic Mouse
5) Several thin folders of documents
6) Bluetooth headphones
6) USB wall charger with various cables for my devices
7) Wallet, keys, phone, spare change, random junk like business cards etc.
8) Various pens and styli

All of this fits VERY nicely, and without making the bag feel like it's bursting at the seams. I do have a cheap android tablet and it fits too (although I don't carry it around with me, so it's not included on the list.

Some things I love:

- First and foremost HAS to be the fleece-lined pockets for my devices. Gone are the day of scratched macbook cases with this thing. I'm serious when I say this is my favorite feature.
- The protective padding is excellent, as evidenced by when my bag fell of the couch with a dull thud, rather than the harsh sound of electronics hitting hard wood floors. No damage to the laptop.
- I LOVE all the various pockets. Seriously, there's a pocket for everything you could imagine. I enjoy knowing exactly where my phone, headphones, charger etc. will be. Having a designated laptop pocket makes going through airport security a breeze.
- Maybe it's just me, but I found the backpack to be very comfortable. Sure, I'm not exactly hiking with it, but on my daily commute and the one trip I've taken it on I have found it to be nothing but comfortable.

Issues:

- The only minor issue I have with the bag is that the hidden document pocket is not deep enough for putting your plane tickets in without holding them. It's not a huge issue to be honest, but something that an extra couple of inches would have avoided all together.

Overall, I'm a huge fan. This backpack is made with high-quality materials, and looks it too. The gray color scheme is very slick - professional enough without being too business-like. The protection factor, however, is what really has me sold on this bag. It has completely eliminated the need for extra sleeves for my laptop and other devices.

Despite the one very minor issue, I can easily rate this at five stars with a strong recommendation!

100% Natural All Purpose Cleaner (2 Pack) Streak-Free & Non-Toxic - Developed by Doctors, Safe on All Surfaces - Hypoallergenic & Biodegradable Multi-Surface & Glass Cleaner - Kid & Pet Safe Formula - Streakless Stainless Steel Solution - Quickly Remove Messes Without Any Harsh Chemicals - Made in USA - Green Tea & Lime Essential Oils - 32 Ounce Spray Bottle - 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully on glass!, June 2, 2014
As I mentioned in my last review of Puracy's laundry detergent, I can be skeptical of all-natural products at times. Often I find myself choosing between a safe product that does an okay job and a chemical-based product that does a great job. After throughly enjoying Puracy's laundry detergent, I decided it was time to bust out the multi-surface cleaner and give it a shot! Puracy sent me a sample of this product, this review is my honest opinion.

Let me just say up front - I'm impressed by Puracy's product again. I was impressed at how well it cleaned my counters. I was even more impressed when (after letting it sit for a minute or two) my stainless steel sink came up sparkly. But I was most impressed when I used this one my windows and mirrors. Using a microfiber, lint-free cloth, there was not a streak in sight. Seriously, this product works as well as Windex when it comes to cleaning glass.

Combine the fact that it cleans well with a wonderful smell and all-natural ingredients, and you have a winner in my book. My ONLY complaint is that ounce-for-ounce it is a little bit more expensive than most household all-purpose cleaners, but honestly it's a very minor complaint as I've found that most all-natural cleaners have a price premium. I assume it has something to do with a barrel of lime juice probably costing a little bit more than a barrel of cleaning chemicals.

Overall, I'm very pleased and definitely recommend this cleaner. If you have pets or children, a non-toxic cleaner is a must and Puracy's Multi-Surface cleaner works better than any others I have tried!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20