Profile for J. Smallridge > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1088

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Smallridge RSS Feed (Kansas City, MO USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Enon: A Novel
Enon: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Enon: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This is a frustrating book. In part, the work is frustrating because a reader sees the complete collapse of the narrator. One is definitely rooting for him, but it is pain to watch his spiral. An additional reason that I found this book frustrating was it seemed as though Harding took a complete of excellent ideas for short stories and used those as a way to draft a longer novel. For instance, the narrator's recounting of when he visited Ms. Hale's house with his grandfather was truly brilliant, but it might have made for a better short story. Additionally, I found the scene between the narrator and Manny to drawn in a similar way. This book has some good moments, but seemed to be an uneven whole.

Whiteness in Zimbabwe: Race, Landscape, and the Problem of Belonging
Whiteness in Zimbabwe: Race, Landscape, and the Problem of Belonging
by David McDermott Hughes
Price: $22.60
71 used & new from $7.12

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Argument, January 26, 2014
I found the thesis of this book incredibly compelling. Given that southern African politics and economics often are dominated by the question of land, Hughes' arguments about how white Rhodesians (and later white Zimbabweans) saw themselves in relation to settlement issues really resonated with this reader. I'd highly recommend this work for those interested in questions of colonialism, space, and belonging. It is extremely well-written and informed.

Aftermath (Inspector Banks series Book 12)
Aftermath (Inspector Banks series Book 12)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, January 26, 2014
This might be my favorite Inspector Banks novel. I loved the twists and turns in this work. I also enjoyed how Robinson has three or four plot elements in balance at one time -- it made for a pulsating experience. I thought about this book when I wasn't reading it and raced to the finish as quickly as I could.

The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller Series Book 6)
The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller Series Book 6)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Some, January 26, 2014
This is a very good read. The court scenes seemed realistic to this reader and Connelly does a great job of building character in each of his books. If I had to point out one complaint with this novel it would be that the end was a bit preachy. However, perhaps Connelly is planning to move the Haller series in a different direction based on where this novel finished.

Cover Her Face: An Adam Dalgliesh Mystery (Adam Dalgliesh Mysteries Book 1)
Cover Her Face: An Adam Dalgliesh Mystery (Adam Dalgliesh Mysteries Book 1)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Start, January 26, 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the way in which James took the classic "parlor" mystery genre and made it her own. The plot itself is a bit dated, but the characterization is strong and it was fun to see where Dalgliesh got his start.

Cold Is the Grave: A Novel of Suspense (Inspector Banks series Book 11)
Cold Is the Grave: A Novel of Suspense (Inspector Banks series Book 11)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, January 26, 2014
I really liked this novel. This is the second Inspector Banks book I've read (admittedly, I started with "A Dry Season") and I thought Robinson did an expert job of building character and pacing the novel while exposing the darkness of London and a supposedly perfect family. I was hooked from the being and couldn't put it down until the end!

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena: A Novel
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, January 26, 2014
This book just blew me away. I loved the way Marra created images and used language to build character. Throughout the novel, I felt as though I knew the individuals in the story and their experiences were my experiences. I'd recommend this novel to anyone who thinks American fiction is moribund.

In a Dry Season (Inspector Banks series Book 10)
In a Dry Season (Inspector Banks series Book 10)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, January 26, 2014
This was my first introduction to Alan Banks, and I am hooked! Robinson develops character as well as any crime writer I've read recently. This book captured me because of Robinson's decision to tie the present to the past. I enjoyed the allusions to the town prior to the present day.

Nothing Gold Can Stay
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Price: $3.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Short Stories, January 26, 2014
These stories make for an excellent collection. Across space and time, Rash is able to build suspense and character as well as any writer at work today. Although some of the stories are better than others, in total, all of these books make for a great experience.

The Crocodile Bird
The Crocodile Bird
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Book, January 26, 2014
What I liked most about this book is the way in which Rendell allows it to unfold slowly and allows a relatively unreliable narrator to dictate the pace of the book. As a reader, you are beholden to both of them for the duration of the story. While this is not my favorite Rendell novel (I enjoy "Judgment in Stone" and "A Demon in My View," among others), it is still a very good one and I'd recommend it to other fans of her work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20