Profile for DanielJH > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DanielJH RSS Feed (Chicago 'burbs)

Page: 1 | 2
AmazonBasics Wireless Remote Control for Nikon D3000, Nikon P7000, D40, D40x, D50, D5000, D5200 , D5100, D60, D70, D7000, D70s, D80, D90 and select Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Works!, December 4, 2013
It does what you need it to and doesn't cost a ton. What more can you want?

I used this with my D7000 on a tripod to take company photos that also needed to include me. This was so much easier than setting a timer and running back and forth... You can just snap away!

Dickies Men's Jameson Multi Rugby Stripe Crew Neck, Light Grey Heather, Medium
Dickies Men's Jameson Multi Rugby Stripe Crew Neck, Light Grey Heather, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice look, Wonderful fit!, December 4, 2013
I'm not a big fan of sweaters, but I love this one.

It's not too warm, not too cool. Just about perfect.

The dark stripe above the chest is a different color. It is a very dark navy and the other dark stripes are a charcoal gray. I don't mind it, but it surprised me when I saw it in person. Based off the other color options, I'm guess that's just the style.

I'm between Medium and Large for a lot of things.. XL in a very few things. (6'1" 195lbs) I got the medium and it was perfect. If you're between sizes, I'd say go smaller.

Sleeves were a good length. Sleeves weren't too loose or narrow. Chest fit perfect. Belly wasn't too loose. Overall a nice, little more slender fit. I have a problem getting a lot of the more mainstream brands to fit me, because they have a more "American" i.e., if the sleeves are long enough and chest is wide enough, they are going to be too loose in the belly!

The elastic cuffs and waist are the one issue I have. By how they look sort of pleated, I expected the entire band to contract as one piece, really there is just a thin band at the very end of the sleeves and base of the garment that are elastic. This causes that band to curl a little in some situations, which can be annoying. It also makes me worry a bit for long-term durability, should that thin band of elastic wear out.

Overall I just love this sweater, and I've gotten a few nice comments on it. I'm not used to getting many complements on my clothing, but I'm working on it. I definitely feel cute when I'm wearing this!

Gerber 31-000345 E.A.B. Lite Pocket Knife, Fine Edge
Gerber 31-000345 E.A.B. Lite Pocket Knife, Fine Edge
Price: $9.99
83 used & new from $8.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Purpose built., December 4, 2013
This is a wonderful knife to have on you all the time, but a terrible knife to use all the time.

If you are looking for something to subject to frequent, heavy duty use, this is not the knife for you. That's not to say it's not durable.. it seems plenty durable to me, but it just doesn't have the ergonomics for it.

I'm a graphic designer/production manager. I need to open a few packages a day usually. Sometimes cut off strapping, tape, or other mounting. In my office I had one of those cheap snap-off cutters, but if I was out of the office it was always a total pain to find a cutter. In a warehouse you keep things in one spot generally, but with daily use they get scattered. Every time I needed a knife I had to spend a few minutes just looking for one. It was a massive waste of time. My warehouse manager got me a decent little collapsable knife, but it was too big to keep on me all the time with my keys, wallet, phone, etc. That's where this comes in!

You know that little pocket-within-a-pocket on your jeans that no one ever has a use for? This fits perfectly in there!, clip it on with the knife inside, clip out and it is so tiny you'll forget it is there. Now whenever I need a cutter I just reach down and it's right there. I haven't found another knife that is this compact that still has a full-sized blade. There are a few that are close to this size.. but they have mini blades that impair their functionality. The blade on this is extremely high quality, it is full sized and actually quite a bit thicker than the bulk blades we normally buy for our warehouse.

Now for it's short comings.. I don't see these as marks against it (per my 5 star rating). They are just design compromises that needed to be made to reduce the size:
* This is a two hand open, two hand close knife. If I know I have a number of packages to open, or I have to cut down a lot of corrugated for flat-packing, I'll grab a larger, better suited knife. There's not room for a complex locking mechanism.. so deal with it if you want a knife this small.
* The blade is much more time consuming to change than the alternatives. If you're doing a lot of cutting, this isn't for you. This is something you keep on you for when you need it, not something you use as your workhorse.
* Price. This isn't a $3 knife. if you're going to keep it on you, $12 is not a lot for the utility and engineering of this thing.. but if they start disappearing it's going to get costly. Keep it on you. Don't lend it out. Keep track of it and it is more than worth the cost.
* The clip?? People keep complaining about belt-clip issues. The clip is designed to be very slim-one of my problems with a lot of other folding cutters is how fat the clip is. I had to take it off my previous ones and they were STILL fatter than this one with the clip. This clip is not designed for a full-thickness leather belt-that is going to wreck it! I've put it over the edge of my pocket every day for months with no issues.. with a thinner woven belt thrown in for good measure!

If you try to use this knife like a contractor-grade cutting tool, you are going to have a bad time.

If you want to have an ultra-compact, high-quality cutting tool on you all day, every day, for as-needed use, this is the perfect tool. I love this thing and I never leave home without it clipped inside my pocket! (unless I know I'm going somewhere with tight security!... be careful, it's easy to forget it's there!)

Philips Norelco RQ111 Click-On Styler for Norelco Sensotouch and Arcitec Electric Shavers
Price: $24.95
15 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for me, but won't be for everyone., August 30, 2013
Paired with: "Philips Norelco 1150X SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor"
Facial hair style: Dense beard cut to about 1/2" length, trimmed square

I upgraded my razor to a new Norelco. It didn't have a styler on it-that didn't bother me, I always hated the integrated ones on my past razors... they come out an odd angle, sometimes fold away while you're using them, and I've had them die a few times before the razor does. When my last styler crapped out but the razor was still kicking I went out and bout a dedicated trimmer for my beard--Loved it!

My old razor was corded and basically bullet proof. The new one doesn't have a cord... needs a dedicated charging dock. I used to unplug my trimmer when I needed the razor. With the new razor I have to leave it plugged in which caused a fight for outlets, so I decided to give this a try. I wasn't sure this would replace my old trimmer... but that sucker is packed away in a drawer now! It's so nice to only have one unit on my counter now. Swapping heads is so quick and easy-less time than swapping power cords.

Without the guard this gives you a great angle of approach for lining the edge of your beard. Much more ergonomic than the flip-out stylers. It's firm, secure, and their's no razor head to obstruct your view. That's what made me fall in love with my old trimmer.

The blade is wider than my old trimmer, almost twice as wide (about 1.5"). If you do anything sculpty it might be too wide. My facial hair is pretty square so it allows me to finish quicker and not have to worry about lining up as many strokes on my neck (the narrow one could sometimes lead to a jagged line).

The guide adjustment is set on the head of the unit.. the guide itself is just a single piece. This has a few benefits: Easy to clean, easy to attach, and don't have to worry about bumping the adjustment when you put the guide on/off. My complaint about the guide is it's length settings... they're all pretty slim. On my old trimmer I was a 3/5. I tried 3/5 on this one off that bat--big mistake! It was so thin. I've gone up to 5/5 and it's perfect for my beard. I'd appreciate options for a size or two longer for when I just want to do a quick once-over to tame my beard down, but don't have time for a full trim. I just use scissors for that currently, and good news--with the wider blade than my last trimmer it takes less time for a trim, so it's easier to squeeze in nowadays.

When I use it for lining my beard it get's nice and close-sometimes I don't even bother to follow up with the razor on my cheeks/neck. When I use it with the guard for trimming it gives me a nice even trim in way fewer passes that my old trimmer. The business end of the guide is pretty short, which allows for easily trimming the 'stache/lower lip.

Pros
Functionality of a dedicated trimmer without needing a second device.
Wide blade makes trimming a quick and easy task!
Guide is extremely simple and works really well.
Cuts close and trims evenly.
Great results in less time than options I've used in the past.
SO much better than a flip-out styler.

Cons
Short guide settings (this is the main reason I can't give it 5 stars)
If you travel a lot I could see why you'd want the convenience of a flip-out
If you do a detailed sculpted outline, the wide trimmer might be too wide.

Cable Matters Gold-Plated Active HDMI to VGA Adapter (Male to Female) with 3 Ft Micro USB Cable - Black
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $14.99
9 used & new from $12.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Works seamlessly in dual monitor configuration., August 30, 2013
The short of it:
Works flawlessly!
I've seen a lot of unhappy reviews of other products--this one costs a little more, but didn't disappoint!
Make sure you have a USB port open for power.

The story:
As a designer I have used two monitors since I was in high-school and couldn't live without them. I upgraded my workstation to a 30+20 combo and my operations manager was wowed by the functionality.

She had just upgraded her monitor and her old monitor was just sitting in storage. She wondered if I could setup her monitors like that... I checked out her ports and her new monitor was connected by DVI, and her only other output was HDMI. Her old monitor was pretty old and only had VGA connections. So I looked up options for the adapter-found this one... two days later it arrives and it only took a few minutes to install. Hooked it all up, turned on the computer and it was instantly working!

I was concerned about it needing power and running that power out of a PC controlled USB port... Would it take a little to boot up? Would the PC not detect it right away and cause problems with the dual monitor configuration? Would it get finicky when the computer is going in and out of sleep? NOPE! Worked perfectly, as if the monitor was plugged straight into the TV.

The American Heritage Dictionary: Fifth Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary: Fifth Edition
by Houghton Mifflin Company
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
102 used & new from $3.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, ultra-portable, May 15, 2013
It's inexpensive. Physically it's light, small. Perfect for throwing down in a backpack. People with poor vision will want to go for something larger, but most of the market for this size of a dictionary is probably college students, and they typically won't mind having smaller text size-small price for not having to lug around another massive book.

Content wise I'm sure it's missing a lot of words, you can only cram so much in a book this size. That hasn't really come up for me, but if you can't find a word you can do a web search or go grab a bigger dictionary. The main point of something like this is it can always be right there with you-Phones die, some classes and libraries frown on them or you don't get service-Other dictionaries are just too big and you don't want to keep it with you.

As far as definitions go, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the American Heritage Dictionary. So many times when a question arises about usage of words and we pull out a dictionary to discuss, my usage is not properly covered. Then I go to the AHD, and sure enough, they've got my back! I don't know if it is a regional thing (I'm from the midwest-live in chicago, a lot of Iowans in my family), if other areas of the country/world don't accept the way we use words here, or just an oversight, but the AHD is the only choice for a dictionary for me!

You're either going to love it or hate it.

If this is going to be your only dictionary to have around the house, won't have to travel with it, has to be all-inclusive/easy to read-THIS IS NOT THE DICTIONARY FOR YOU. Get something bigger.

If you need something ultra light and portable that you can keep with you as the first place to go, this is a fantastic choice.

Platinum Series Soft Zip Case for Most 7" Tablet Mobile Phones - Black
Platinum Series Soft Zip Case for Most 7" Tablet Mobile Phones - Black
12 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Too large, but hard to complain at that price, May 15, 2013
For less than $5 I was very surprised by the quality, its up near the quality of my $20 laptop sleeve (15").

Looks nice, zipper operates very smoothly, nice lining inside, good amount of cushion to protect from any light impacts or drops.

That being said, it is way too big for the Nexus 7. I put it in there for the first time and I could feel it sliding all over, it was really annoying.
Good news! Simple fix: This case comes with a foam pad inside to maintain the shape prior to sale-I pulled it out of the trash and slid it in with my tablet-Now it fits perfectly. It's a little fat, but hey, I have an extra 1/4" of foam protecting the glass surface of my tablet now!

Converse Men's All Star Chuck Taylor Premiere Leather Ox Casual Shoe Tan, Chocolate (12)

5.0 out of 5 stars My feet are in love, May 15, 2013
I own a lot of Chucks, and I was kind of skeptical when I saw these. They look great, but everything below your foot is radically different, its has a lot of curvature to it instead of being just strictly flat. They felt so awkward and weird for the first 5 minutes of wearing them... but after just a few minutes my feet settled into them... I can honestly say this is without a doubt the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned.

I have a really hard time finding shoes that fit my feet. Most brands stop making half-sizes over 11.5, and my feet are a straight-up 12.5. 13s are usually too loose and 12s are too snug (I have a callus on my thumb from squeezing my heel into 12s for a number of years). I love CTs because they are made a half-size large, which means a 12 fits me perfectly. This new model is just marvelous.

HP Brochure Inkjet Paper, Glossy 11x17, 150 sht
HP Brochure Inkjet Paper, Glossy 11x17, 150 sht
Offered by OfficeMax
Price: $58.11
15 used & new from $49.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful paper at a great price., December 14, 2012
This paper is a PERFECT match for my needs.
It is lightweight compared to photo paper, but still feels substantial and professional.
For the quality, it is at a great price.
Looks great. Printing comes out beautiful every time once you figure out what settings work.
It is glossy, but not TOO glossy. Great for reading text. Not sure how this would work for purely photographic purposes.

I do a fair amount of printing for some pretty large clients. One client requires 7 sets of pre-press proofs for each graphic we produce. They don't need to be on the final material, and should be about 11x17, but need to be a decent representation of the final piece.
I print off rolled stock, and get a good rate on Premium Glossy 250 and any contenders out there worked out to be more expensive than just using my rolled stock--Plus, I couldn't find anything that looked nice, had a glossy finish, without being that photo weight or matte. There are a LOT of options for laser printers, but I only have inkjet. Then I found this. Love it.

I'm using an Epson 4900.
For settings I use the Premium Semigloss 170 profile with 90% Ink coverage (but I use 90% on everything... the 4900 tends to oversaturate in my experience)
It took me a little while to figure out the settings. Matte profiles tried to get me to switch out my Photo black, photo settings threw down WAY too much ink.

Macally Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB 2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5-Inch SATA Hard Disk G-S350SUAB2 (Silver)
3 used & new from $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The only reasonable way to go if you want a FW800 enclosure, April 9, 2011
This is a great product, but there are many less expensive variations if you don't want FW800. If you don't need FW800, look for the other Macally enclosures, they are significantly cheaper for about the same thing.

As long as we are paying a premium for the FW, it would be nice if they just went all-out with a stainless-steel version... it by no means feels cheep, but it does feel have a distinctive aluminum feel next to other high-end electronics... maybe in a future thunderbolt version

Personally, I love the FW800, it's faster than USB2.0, and daisy-chaining is super convenient... I think it was worth the premium for me, it's up to you to decide the same.

The cables it comes with seem heavy duty and durable, be it a little short. They are clear plastic with braided metal inside. I think white would have been a better option to go with the mac-matching style they are going for... but that's not a big deal.

Some enclosures will turn on when you plug them in, and use their on/off button as more of a standby mode.. and they would sometimes wake up for no reason.. the Western Digital drives annoyed the heck out of me for that... the power button on this behaves exactly as I'd like it to. It doesn't do anything until you push the button, then it comes on, stays on, and goes off when you push the button. It may not be the most power efficient or noob-friendly method (I know plenty of people like to plug-in and forget) but if you know what you want, it just works.

The styling is better than anything out there... Most raw PC components have a god-aweful sci-fi/futuristic/plasticy look.

It's not nearly as good as the build quality as the Mac Pro, which is clearly its design inspiration, but it is much more durable than plastic. The backplate is plastic, which is kind of disappointing, but it looks ok and isn't as big of a deal as I'd like to make it.

Setup is fairly easy, but it's really for something you setup and leave... it's not for swapping drives in and out of frequently.

There is plenty of room for improvement, so I can't quite give it 5-stars, but I'd highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2