Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Timothy Doke > Reviews

Browse

Timothy Doke's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Timothy Doke RSS Feed (Dallas, TX USA)

Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, The Hero of Ages, & The Well of Ascension)
by Brandon Sanderson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $16.32
120 used & new from $9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars new fan of Sanderson, after Gathering Storm, November 18, 2009
I am a new fan of Brandon Sanderson; I never heard of him until I read book 12 from WOT, the Gathering Storm. After that book, I just had to go find out more about this author. I enjoyed his writing style in the Gathering Storm; it was very engaging. Then, I read Elantris, and really enjoyed it as well. After that book, I found out about Mistborn. I picked up this trilogy and I was hooked!

It is hard for me, in retrospect, to believe how good this series was, especially considering how fast Sanderson writes (how many large books ~700pg can one man write in one year??). To me, this is one of my favorite fantasy series I've read. And I hadn't heard of him two months ago! This series has something for everyone: a well developed and very well thought out, and original, magic system; the characters are complex and have different personalities; the story line itself is epic and gives scope to everything hanging in the balance; there is romance, lots of action; it was honestly hard to do anything else in my spare time while I was reading this series...

Some of the traps other fantasy authors tend to fall into -- dragging out climactic events over too many books -- did not plague this series. This trilogy was very well put together and the events were obviously preplanned. I have to give him credit because he did not shy away from not only killing off major characters, but he also had a powerful conclusion to each book. I kept waiting to be let down, but never was. This book series is quite tremendous. It should be a model for how to write a fantasy series.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2015 6:27 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is good, but.., June 24, 2009
This product is very good. However, I took it by itself and was feeling great for a while, until all of a sudden I noticed it was making me tired. I asked my chiropractor about this problem I had with magnesium, and he told me about the 2-1 rule with calcium and magnesium: two parts calcium with one part magnesium.

If you take magnesium alone, you will not get as good of a benefit as is otherwise possible. This product: Source Naturals Coral, Calcium/Magnesium, 2:1 Ratio, Tablets, 180 tablets is much better for obtaining a better balance of magnesium. Potassium Carlson Laboratories - Complexed Potassium, 99 mg, 250 tablets is also something to look into, as if someone is deficient in magnesium/calcium, they could be deficient in potassium. Keep in mind with potassium, however, that less is better; potassium is used in lethal injections, and was Dr. Kevorkian's preferred method of euthanasia. That said, magnesium and calcium go together, but potassium does not.

Sorry to get sidetracked, but hopefully this information will help someone besides me. Magnesium is absolutely critical as supplements go; but if you don't get the right balance, or get too much magnesium, you can get the same problems as magnesium deficiency, only worse:[...]. My chiropractor said he never heard of anyone having problems using calcium with magnesium in a 2-1 ratio.

If you are already getting enough calcium, then this product is top notch. I liked this product more than Source Naturals Magnesium Chelate, 100 mg, Tablets, 250 tablets (Pack of 3) or Source Naturals Ultra-Mag, Tablets, 240 tablets (Pack of 2).

Supplementation, to me, is a lot about trial and error. And regardless of what anyone says, there is no universal cure-all. If you are looking for that type of product, then look somewhere else and save your money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best EPA per serving out of Omega-3s, April 25, 2009
I've been taking omega 3's for joint and brain support for a while now. I'm always searching for the most efficient way of getting the maximum product for my money. Recently, I spoke of omega3s with my psychiatrist; he stated for my purposes (brain support, and inflammation support) I need to get at least 1000 mg of EPA per day.

Well, for achieving that much EPA in a reasonable dose, the list is narrowed considerably. Out of the liquid products, this oil seems to have the highest EPA using a dose of one teaspoon (many sellers advertise high numbers deceitfully, saying 3 pills provides 1000mg EPA for example, but then also say 1 pill is the serving size and only 60 servings per container..Or they may say it provides 1800mg EPA per serving, but in the fine print it states the serving size is tablespoon).

This product is very clear about what it contains: 800mg of EPA in 1 teaspoon. The only other competition I've seen against this product in terms of EPA quantity and the number of servings per container, is Source Naturals Arctic Pure EPA, Lemon Flavored Omega-3, 500 mg, Softgels , 120 softgels.

I don't know which is better of the two products; in terms of servings per container, 101.4 teaspoons are in 16.9 fl ounces. So, in price per container by EPA, this product is cheaper (and probably one the cheapest). Furthermore, my chiropractor says that supplements in liquid form are absorbed better than pill counterpart pretty much across the board in vitamins and supplements. So, in that sense I'd have to give this product the edge over the Source Naturals Arctic Pure EPA product.

But, liquid products are pretty much pointless if you can't get yourself to take them, regardless of how much better they are than the pill counterpart! I have no complaints about this particular liquid supplement; it provides a bounty of EPA, which is what I need, for the lowest price.

If I had a complaint about this product, and I don't really, it would be that I wish I could get it with my Amazon Prime membership and setup a subscription service.

EDIT:
The serving size is 1 teaspoonful (5ml). There are 100 servings per container.

Each teaspoon has the following:
Omega 3 Fatty Acids: 1600mg
EPA: 800mg
DHA: 500mg
Other: 300mg
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

Songbook
Songbook
Price: $14.60
26 used & new from $7.70

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't get that other review, this is DJ Shah, August 29, 2008
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
I'm writing this review because of the really poor review I saw when I was waiting for my copy of Songbook to come in. I noticed DJ Shah a long time ago; he collaborated with Jan Johnston on several works, including Beautiful, which was one of my favorite singles when it came out. It was obviously picked up by Oceanlab for a remix in Anjunabeats 100. DJ Shah also produced Imagine for Armin Van Buuren and you can see Going Wrong from Imagine on this album and again Who Will Find Me was used by Armin Van Buuren in ASOT 2007.

I recognize many of these songs here from other CDs as well; the point is, DJ Shah wrote these pieces originally and others copied him. These here in Songbook are the original works. This format for a CD isn't totally unprecedented either; Oceanlab's Miracle is almost completely acoustic, as is Jes's Into the Dawn. My guess is these artists are trying to capture a larger audience, as the trance market has been traditionally limited; and when the options are to move into the realm of House/Drum and Bass or Acoustic, it seems a few of these artists try this second option. Thus, the first CD in Songbook is mostly Trance and the second is his Acoustic version. I'm just glad he didn't make me buy it in two separate albums like Jes..

Anyway, this CD is definitely worth the purchase. Original works are very, very rare nowadays in this genre. Songbook is an original piece with very beautiful music performed by singers I've enjoyed listening to a lot over the years.

Pureology Nano Duo (Shampoo 8.5 and Conditioner 8.5oz)
Pureology Nano Duo (Shampoo 8.5 and Conditioner 8.5oz)

5.0 out of 5 stars great for itchy head, July 20, 2008
I've tried literally dozens of different shampoos and conditioners which were intended to treat an itchy scalp. My head used to be very itchy due to the medications I take. None of the other hair products I used, including products with tar, for eczema and psoriasis, or products intended for an itchy scalp really worked. And if they did work, they would work for a temporary time period, or for a short period of time during the day; then my head would go back to itching like crazy.

I don't know if it effective because of all the organic materials Pureology uses or because it uses just the right mixture of ingredients, however, Pureology Nanoworks shampoo is by far the best shampoo I've used for treating a chronically itchy head, regardless of the cause. I can't say enough good things about this product; it has made a huge difference for me, and is easily worth every penny even at the full retail price.

Digestive Advantage Probiotics-Intensive Bowel Support Probiotic Capsules-Survives 100x better than yogurt and leading probiotic-96 Capsules
Price: $20.99
38 used & new from $17.09

2.0 out of 5 stars cures all types of "IBS" including IBS-C constipation?, July 12, 2008
I am going to give some background information before I provide my actual review so that my review will appear justified. I am currently on a number of medications and have been on Miralax for several years. Miralax has been the only medication that works for me, pill or mixture, for constipation. I have been constipated for a number of years to the point where I am chronically deficient in vitamin D, despite taking lots of vitamins, and developed osteoporosis at 28. I am 31 now. My stomach Dr thinks my osteoporosis was caused greatly due to my vitamin D deficiency, as well as growth hormone deficiency because of chronic constipation.

Taking Miralax every day is not fun. It is time consuming and it does not taste well. The only positive thing I can say about Miralax is that it does not cause bloating of any type. Now, with my background information out of the way, I hope you can see why I continually seek a pill to remedy constipation. I want something that is super convenient to take, is highly effective, will make me normal, and will not cause any painful side effects. This product, Digestive Advantage IBS, did not fulfill any of my personal requirements.

I do not enjoy bloating at all of the typical over the counter constipation relievers. This Digestive Advantage, in the 10 days I used it, caused a significant amount of painful bloating every morning after I took it. In the first seven days I figured that the painful bloating was good, that the bloating was a sign that the product was working! I learned after my first bowel movement on this product at day 7/8 that the assumption of painful bloating = repaired constipation and regularity, could not be a further assumption from the truth. That first bowel movement was not a pleasant experience. Painful bloating does not accomplish anything for regularity. And second, it didn't even relieve my constipation, it only seemed to make it worse.

Before my 10 day personal trial period with Digestive Advantage, during which I was using Miralax as needed, I was somewhat regular for one who has bowel movements about once to twice a week. I learned the hard way to just let nature take its course. Anyway, after having been on this product for 7 days, and not getting any movement, I was getting very worried. This product was definitely making my constipation worse. Sure enough, once I finally had my bowel movement, it was not pretty. I decided to give it 3 more days. After a total period of 10 days, I was in significantly worse shape and have been having to use lots of Miralax daily and um.. Preparation H to get myself back to normal.

I also had a previously scheduled appointment with my stomach Dr about a reflux issue after these 10 days were over, so I was able to inquire about probiotic treatment or a single pill treatment for patients with severe or otherwise obstructive constipation. He told me that for the vast majority of patients in my position -- patients with constipation severe enough to be on Miralax -- probiotic type treatments like Digestive Advantage rarely work. I questioned him further on if there was any type of pill I could take instead of Miralax for constipation that would not cause bloating. He said there was one other alternative as a last resort, but it is rarely given to men. I believe he said it was Amitiza; I didn't write it down.

Anyway, I gave this product two stars instead of one because I suppose it might be helpful to people without such severe constipation. I know this product would be helpful for my Mom, who has the opposite kind of IBS - IBS-D (Diarrhea) that I supposedly have: IBS-C (Constipation). For me, this product made my constipation significantly worse and my stomach Dr confirmed that rarely would a probiotic type product actually work in a patient who has constipation severe enough to warrant Miralax.

Perhaps it would work in normal people who aren't on medication with occasional constipation? I do not know; I do not care to hazard a guess for that group of people. I just know for me, it is downright scary.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 9:09 AM PST

Brussel's Bald Cypress Grove
Brussel's Bald Cypress Grove

5.0 out of 5 stars my cpyress forest tree comparison, April 12, 2008
When my 9 tree Cypress Forest arrived initially, I thought ugh no way this is just 9 sticks stuck in the ground. I suppose during transit (I had 1-day shipping as an Amazon prime member) the trees lost the majority of their foliage giving the title "bald" more of a literal meaning. I thought, though I'm not a botanist, that "Bald Cypress Trees" aren't meant to be bare. Anyway, I am not sure, however, if this was planned or not by Brussel's, as I did not find much foliage in the box, which would have fallen off from the surrounding packaging, popcorn, etc. There was very little lost foliage in the packaging and from the trip. I must deduce therefore, that the forest was intentionally planned to arrive "bald" through a preemptive sheering.

That said, when I first got my Brussel's Bald Cypress Forest 9 Outdoor Bonsai Tree, I was slightly dissappointed. It didn't look at all like my monstrous
Brussel's Trident Maple Forest 15 Outdoor Bonsai Tree. Of course, the Maple trees were $199 and this Cypress forest was $39. There is a pretty big difference in expectations: tree size, trunk thickness, not to mention the Maple forest had 5 years on the Cypress forest. And it is an entirely different type of tree with its own problems and limitations. Also, the Maple forest had a much bigger pot, so I dunno, maybe it had more opportunity to grow into a full-fledged 2ft tall group of trees with around a thousand combined leaves. If I may diverge for a second, the packaging from the Maple forest sucked to open!! The Maple forest box it arrived in was a fully 4'x4' box completely filled with popcorn. Yes, believe it or not, that makes me cringe to think of getting another.. It took me over 2 hours to open that box and extract the bonsai, whereas this wonderful Cypress tree forest box was a quick 15 minutes to retrieve. That fact alone makes me steer back towards this Cypress forest.

That said, I'm by no means a bonsai expert, I just like things that look good. And, I don't really like to follow instructions either.. When they say you should keep the plant outside.. Well, I don't really want to! I like keeping it inside. The Maple forest seems to require a bunch of light, whereas the Cypress forest seems to grow in a variety of lighting conditions: low light, medium light, or lots of light. Plus, the Cypress forest is very hard to kill it seems; one of the biggest problems I've heard in the newcomers to the bonsai community is overwatering. Well, the Cypress forest seems like it is nearly impossible to overwater (within reason of course)! The instructions that come with it are to water it daily during the spring, summer, fall, and winter. So ya, you can water it daily year round, which is great for my dad. I'm planning on getting another one for him for his birthday. He has had a history of killing bonsai. My personal guess is he overwaters. That is why this Cypress forest will be perfect for him (and cheap!).

Plus, the level of care I have to put forth for my Cypress forest is next to nothing, whereas my Maple forest.. ugh.. All I have to do for my Cypress forest is water it. My Maple forest on the otherhand is currently battling a black tar type fungal infection which just seems to grow and grow and grow, no matter how much I preemptively shear leaves, etc.

Anyway, no such problems with the Cypress forest. It is a nice and easygoing plant. I really enjoy it because it grows extremely fast in whatever lighting conditions I have it in (I have it in low light conditions on my bar). The day I received my Cypress forest I was dissappointed with how "bald" it was, but am very glad I saw it through and didn't return it. After just a few days I started to see growth on the previously bald trunks. After about a month, the Cypress forest was flourishing. What was once bald wasn't quite filled in yet like the picture, but I could easily see it becoming like that in a very short time. None of my other bonsai, or plants, grow nearly this fast. Well, my Bonsai Boy's Lucky Bamboo Bonsai Tree - Three Stalks(dracena sanderiana) may grow as fast, but it is a bamboo plant so you can hardly compare a bamboo and a bonsai. My other bonsai, Brussel's Black Olive Indoor Bonsai Tree, grows so slowly that you don't notice but maybe a few new leaves every month or so, if you're lucky.

Anyway, I thought this Cypress forest was an excellent purchase. Despite my initial dissappointment with its floura, it turned out to be quite pleasant.