Profile for GL > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

GL RSS Feed (Laguna Hills, CA.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Snowman: A Harry Hole Novel (7) (Harry Hole series)
The Snowman: A Harry Hole Novel (7) (Harry Hole series)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best in the Harry Hole series, October 1, 2014
Jo Nesbo writes great crime fiction. This book is part of a series of novels that revolves around police detective Harry Hole (pronounced Wooly). Working on violent crimes in Oslo (mainly, but not exclusively, serial killers), Hole is sort of a Norwegian "Dirty Harry Callahan". You know, the rebel that refuses to do what he is ordered to do and instead, does what he thinks is "right". Oh, he is also an alcoholic. Although the series template is cliche, Nesbo' s writing skills make all the Hole stories anything but the "same old" cop yarns. If you enjoy the work of Lawrence Block, Martin Cruz Smith, or Phillip Kerr, I think you will like the Hole crime series. It is probably best , but not required, to read the "Harry Hole" books in order. References to past stories characters and cases are made in "The Snowman" but this book can stand alone and is, in my opinion, one of the creepiest and best in the series.

The Strain: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
The Strain: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ David Bradley
Price: $34.96
20 used & new from $29.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school vampire thrills, September 6, 2014
I know! How can I write a review of "The Strain" blu ray disc before it is released. The following remarks about the content of the series assume the blu ray edition will be of comparable (or better) picture and sound quality to the FX HD broadcast which, for me, was very good.

I am old and like my vampires to be "old school", arrogant creatures who's lust for power is almost as great as their lust for blood. The Strain provides me with vampires that match my criteria.

I have read the Del Toro-Hogan trilogy, enjoyed it, and am delighted that FX decided to produce enough episodes of "The Strain" to tell the WHOLE story and did not make choices as to what characters and plotlines would have to be left out. I think this might be a first for a translation of a horror genre book(in this case books) to film.

There has been a lot of criticism about the banal (the critic's word for it not mine) scripts, the lack of realism and logic ( really? It is a story about a vampire' s takeover of NYC!), even Cory Stoll' s hairpiece. I say the series has recreated some great set pieces from the books that are everything a fan of the genre could want.

Along with "The Strain" trilogy I have read and loved Robert McCammon's "They Thirst", the first two thirds of Justin Cronin's unfinished "Passage" trilogy, and Stephen King's "Salem's Lot". I think the original tv miniseries of "Salem's Lot" is a classic. If you agree with me on the aforementioned "vampire apocalypse" works, I think I can safely say you will enjoy "The Strain" television series.

Thanks for reading

GL

KONG Marvin Moose Cozie Dog Toy, Small
KONG Marvin Moose Cozie Dog Toy, Small
Price: $5.77
4 used & new from $5.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy!, September 1, 2014
Our large Golden Retriever LOVES this toy! It's his favorite, and he loves to sleep with it. Perfect size for any size dog.
KP

Composure for Medium and Large Dogs, 60 Soft Chews
Composure for Medium and Large Dogs, 60 Soft Chews
Price: $16.16
20 used & new from $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as an aid with separation anxiety, September 1, 2014
We have an 85 pound Golden Retriever rescue dog with mild separation anxiety. He follows me from room to room and is quite anxious when I leave the house. He doesn't exhibit this behavior with my husband, although if we leave the house together and leave the dog alone, we've caught him on video pacing, whining, barking and howling. This was for a 15 minute trip!

To correct the problem, we're doing separation anxiety desensitization training, combined with Composure. With a recommended dose of two for this size dog, I started with one in the morning and one in the evening, and that had no effect. I'm now giving him two in the morning, and it seems to take about an hour for it to start working, but I believe there is a noticeable difference in that it takes the edge off his anxiety and makes the desensitization training go more smoothly. With the dog a bit calmer, I'm calmer, and that helps a lot. Our dog gulps them down, so no problem giving them. There have not been any side effects. We haven't tried leaving the dog alone again because we don't want to lose ground with the training, and we don't think Composure is the cure, but it is a help. We understand this condition could take months of training, and we're committed to that. We've heard you can up the dosage of Composure, but we'd like to avoid that if possible.

If your dog has some separation anxiety, I recommend you try Composure as an aid with whatever training you're doing to correct the problem. It certainly can't hurt!
KP

The Collector
The Collector
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Collector, June 3, 2014
This review is from: The Collector (Kindle Edition)
As always, Nora Roberts writes about characters with interesting jobs or backgrounds, and you can tell she does quite a bit of research to make her characters and plots very realistic, which she does here. In this case, the plot revolves around some missing Faberge Imperial Eggs, so this lends a sense of realism to the story. What she wrote about the eggs made me want to know more about them. The plot is one of Ms. Roberts' typical stories as far as getting the characters together; however, there were a few too many coincidences in how the four main characters meet in that they were all previously connected. In a big city like New York, where the story takes place, it's not that likely! Still, Ms. Roberts' writing style is always so readable, so I give this book 4 stars.

After the Fade (Delirium Novella Series Book 34)
After the Fade (Delirium Novella Series Book 34)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ronald Malfi creates horror in claustrophobic environments better than most writers, February 20, 2014
In "After the Fade" a group of people are trapped in a Boston bar facing an other worldly menace (skull boring insects, not as stupid as sounds)! Ronald Malfi has used this set up (people trapped in houses, stores, local government buildings hiding from some supernatural menace) in his stories "Snow", "The Narrows", and "The Floating Staircase". I love Malfi's ability to bring the reader into these confined spaces with a terrible menace outside preventing escape. This short story also has a "Twilight Zone" like twist at the end, or actually "After The Fade(out)"

The Mourning House
The Mourning House
Price: $3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars The Monkey's Paw revisited, January 30, 2014
Ronald Malfi is becoming one of my favorite authors. I loved "The Narrows","Snow" and his short story "After The Fade". "The Mourning House" is an effort filled with well-written characters, one of Mr. Malfi' s greatest strengths as a storyteller. However, when all is said and done this tale is simply a retelling of W.W. Jacob's, "The Monkey' Paw". If you are unfamiliar with that short story, this Malfi novella will not be the disappointment it was for me.

Cry Danger
Cry Danger
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fine little "serious" Dick Powell film, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Cry Danger (Amazon Instant Video)
I loved Dick Powell in "Murder my Sweet", "Pitfall", "Johnny O'Clock", and "Cornered". My personal belief is he is more realistic noir tough guy than Bogart or Mitchum. "Cry Danger" confirmed my opinion. It is a tight little film with the bonus of some great location shooting in a Los Angeles that no longer exists. The Amazon source material for Cry Danger I streamed (46" Samsung tv, Roku) was excellent.

The Wizard Of Oz
The Wizard Of Oz
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasurable listening, December 12, 2013
This review is from: The Wizard Of Oz (MP3 Music)
For me, just a really enjoyable soundtrack. Over the rainbow , the witches musical cue (da dat, da dat, da daaa dat) and We're out of the woods are just a delight to hear and brings back a ton of enjoyable memories.

Swan Song
Swan Song
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars McCammon makes familiar material fresh and involving, December 12, 2013
This review is from: Swan Song (Kindle Edition)
No new ground is broken in this story of a nuclear holocaust. However McCammon is a masterful story teller. He makes this book a real epic adventure. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4