ARRAY(0xaeb56fe4)

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

GL RSS Feed (Laguna Hills, CA.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
After the Fade (Delirium Novella Series)
After the Fade (Delirium Novella Series)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ronald Malfi creates horror in claustrophobic environments better than most writers, February 20, 2014
In "After the Fade" a group of people are trapped in a Boston bar facing an other worldly menace (skull boring insects, not as stupid as sounds)! Ronald Malfi has used this set up (people trapped in houses, stores, local government buildings hiding from some supernatural menace) in his stories "Snow", "The Narrows", and "The Floating Staircase". I love Malfi's ability to bring the reader into these confined spaces with a terrible menace outside preventing escape. This short story also has a "Twilight Zone" like twist at the end, or actually "After The Fade(out)"

The Mourning House
The Mourning House
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Monkey's Paw revisited, January 30, 2014
Ronald Malfi is becoming one of my favorite authors. I loved "The Narrows","Snow" and his short story "After The Fade". "The Mourning House" is an effort filled with well-written characters, one of Mr. Malfi' s greatest strengths as a storyteller. However, when all is said and done this tale is simply a retelling of W.W. Jacob's, "The Monkey' Paw". If you are unfamiliar with that short story, this Malfi novella will not be the disappointment it was for me.

Cry Danger
Cry Danger
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fine little "serious" Dick Powell film, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Cry Danger (Amazon Instant Video)
I loved Dick Powell in "Murder my Sweet", "Pitfall", "Johnny O'Clock", and "Cornered". My personal belief is he is more realistic noir tough guy than Bogart or Mitchum. "Cry Danger" confirmed my opinion. It is a tight little film with the bonus of some great location shooting in a Los Angeles that no longer exists. The Amazon source material for Cry Danger I streamed (46" Samsung tv, Roku) was excellent.

The Wizard Of Oz
The Wizard Of Oz
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasurable listening, December 12, 2013
This review is from: The Wizard Of Oz (MP3 Music)
For me, just a really enjoyable soundtrack. Over the rainbow , the witches musical cue (da dat, da dat, da daaa dat) and We're out of the woods are just a delight to hear and brings back a ton of enjoyable memories.

Swan Song
Swan Song
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars McCammon makes familiar material fresh and involving, December 12, 2013
This review is from: Swan Song (Kindle Edition)
No new ground is broken in this story of a nuclear holocaust. However McCammon is a masterful story teller. He makes this book a real epic adventure. Highly recommended.

Western Union [HD]
Western Union [HD]
DVD
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great H D presentation of underrated western, December 12, 2013
This western gets 5 stars for it's HD presentation. The spectacular Arizona and New Mexico location are given a beauty that is a real upgrade from the usual tv broadcast s of this underrated entertainment. Thanks for making Western Union available in HD!

Classic Westerns, 10-Movie Collection: When Daltons Rode / The Virginian / Whispering Smith / The Spoilers / Comanche Territory / Sierra / Kansas Raiders / Tomahawk / Albuquerque / Texas Rangers Ride Again
DVD ~ Randolph Scott
Price: $5.00
44 used & new from $4.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor Western fans, buy this DVD, May 5, 2013
Take my advice if you enjoy westerns of the 40's and 50's (B westerns included) and buy this dvd collection from Universal. I make this recommendation based on:

1) You get ten westerns, many shot on location, with Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico representing the American West. The location shooting provides splendid scenery for the stories these films tell.

2) You get a mix of B program westerns and some "top of the bill" films like "The Spoilers", "Whispering Smith", and "The Virginian". In my opinion, all the movies are entertaining, relatively fast paced (none of the films are over 90 minutes long), and fun!

3) Most important to me, Universal's Home Entertainment division has used excellent source material. These dvds are superior to other bargain films in their visual and audio presentations. No pops and hisses on the sound tracks and no washed out black and white or faded color presentations. In my opinion (again), the films have got to look and sound as good (if not better) than they did in theatrical runs (and that was 70 years ago for some of these films). I was mesmerized by even the least of these movies (for me, "When the Daltons Rode"/"Texas Rangers Ride Again) by the quality of the images and and sound. The dvd gives these westerns an immediacy that was startling. (I viewed these films on a Samsung 2010, 46" television and an Opp 83 Blu Ray/DVD Player)

4) Finally, these 10 very entertaining, top flight presentations cost 10 DOLLARS!!! One buck a movie. One film has been released on the previous Western Classics, Vol.2 Universal 4 film dvd (Kansas Raiders) and "Whispering Smith" and "Albuqerque" were released as stand alone dvds back about 10 years ago. I had purchased those dvds. I still feel I got one of the best dvd deals ever and I began buying the little discs in 1998!

Thanks for reading

Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner Kit for Windows MTVHVMXSK
Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner Kit for Windows MTVHVMXSK
Offered by AVerMedia
Price: $49.90
38 used & new from $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner for Windows, March 15, 2013
The Avertv Hybrid Volar Tuner will work as a "plug and play device" for "off the air" (ota) TV reception with dvr capabilities (I cannot speak to ClearQAM performance (no cable box)) with a computer running the Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate Editions IF:

1. You live in an area that has good reception of ota broadcasts. Antennaweb is a good internet site for determining if you can receive off air telecasts. The site asks for a zip code and then gives you a list of the stations you can receive in your area and the type of antenna you will need to receive the broadcasts from those stations.

2. You have an indoor or outdoor antenna that maximizes the reception of broadcasts available in your area.

3. You have a USB port to dedicate to the Avertv tuner on your computer.

Plug in Avertv Hybrid Volar Tuner (sort of looks like a big thumb drive) to the USB port, hook up the tuner with the antenna using coaxial cable, open Windows Media Center and, if you are using Windows 7, Media Center should recognize the Avertv Tuner and prompt you to start searching for available channels.

I came very late to the discovery of Windows Media Center. WMC works great as a DVR. WMC has a tv guide with a nice user interface. Imo, there really is no substitute for the HD quality of images from an ota source. All in all an excellent way to record tv. I wish I had discovered WMC sooner. I had always used Windows Media Player for music and pictures and playing dvds. WMC does all those things and more. It was always there, I just never knew it! The Avertv Tuner was a really simple way to take advantage of my computer's functionality as a dvr.

The bad news..the easist way to watch WMC recordings on your televison rather than a computer screen is an "extender". The easiest wireless extender (there are alternatives for advanced computer users, I am not) for WMC is the X Box 360. Actually if you have kids who play a lot of video games, maybe you already have what you need (x box) to watch in the "comfortable chair" in front of the big tv. I don't and that makes for a large chunk of change "going out" in order to get the movies and tv shows I have recorded on WMC to my normal viewing areas. More bad new, Windows 8 does NOT come with Media Center although you can pay extra to add it. This leads me to believe Microsoft no longer feels WMC is a big selling point for the operating system. What this means for the future of WMC (the tv guide and it's continued support by MS is my first concern) is up to speculation.

However, at least for now, I love that the Avertv Tuner is affordable and helps make it possible to turn my computer into a good dvr.

Thanks for reading.

gl

The Twelve (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy): A Novel (Book Two of The Passage Trilogy)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $6.87

5.0 out of 5 stars "Old school" vampires, November 14, 2012
I am old. I like my vampires "old school". Undead who are arrogant, vicious and care only to satisfy their need to feed and maybe, their need for power. The first two thirds of this trilogy, "The Passage" and this novel "The Twelve" are parts of a wonderful "end of the world as we know it" story with vampires doing the "ending". However, before reading "The Twelve", I feel it is mandatory to read Part One, "The Passage", AND keep it handy as a reference book when you read "The Twelve". The plot follows the attempts by the military to develop the perfect soldier/killing machine (I know, not originial, but trust me, it works) and the challenges facing those who managed not to be killed or "turned" by the perfect soldier/aka super vampires when they (inevitably) escape, and the struggles of following generations of human survivors in the former United States.

Like all good books, great characters, good and bad, that we care about or are at least fascinated by, are more important than the plot. In fact, I cared about the original "survivors" so much that I was, at first, disappointed, and then angered when author Justin Cronin shifts the time period and focuses in the 2nd half of the book on a generation of future human inhabitants in a world controlled by vampires. Cronin used the same structure in "The Passage". It was annoying to me in both books. However, if you persevere and tolerate losing (temporarily) characters you have grown to care about, you will be rewarded with a saga that has me wanting Mr. Cronin to hurry up and finish the final part of this trilogy.

My wife says my taste in "literature" is, well, unsophisticated (her word was juvenile). This recommendation then, should include some examples of what I consider "good" vampire/apocalyptic fiction so you may better judge if this three part tale will appeal to you. I loved Stephen King's "Salem's Lot" when was first published in 1975 and I still love it today. I loved the much maligned (even by the author!)"They Thirst" by Robert R. McCammon. I loved the short story vampire fiction of Hugh B. Cave, especially "Murgunstrum" and "Stragella". Finally, I loved F. Paul Wilson's bookended short fiction vampire tales 'Midnight Mass" and "The Lord's Work" (his "Midnight Mass" novel inspired by these short stories...I loved not so much) If you like any of these authors and their work, I am pretty sure you will think Cronin gives you the excitement of a strange and entertaining world.

GL Pearman

Invasion of the Body Snatchers [Blu-ray]
Invasion of the Body Snatchers [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Kevin McCarthy
Offered by Blue Moon Discounts
Price: $14.80
40 used & new from $14.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu ray release of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" 1956, July 28, 2012
This review assumes you are familiar with the 1956 Donald Siegel film. You are reading these viewpoints of the blu ray title to ascertain whether you should spend more money for yet another version of "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers". The short answer is YES, in my opinion. I believe the increased image quality will add to your enjoyment of the film no matter how many times you have previously seen it. I have been fascinated by the '56 version of this Jack Finney story since I saw "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" on the KNXT (Los Angeles, now KCBS)in the 60s. When VCRs made it possible, I taped the movie for my permanent collection. When it became economically feasible (VHS commerical copies were sold to mostly rental stores when the format first reached the general public and the video tapes ran up to $75 in 1980s money), I bought the VHS copy. I relished being able to get a higher resolution "Snatchers" and plunked down about $20 for the Republic DVD, released about 10 years ? ago. I have Amazon Prime so I streamed, using my Roku player, the HD version Amazon made available this year, to check out the quality of of the higher resolution picture. I was impressed with the streaming version. I STILL decided to purchase the blu ray and I am glad I did. 1080P makes the lighting and framing of scenes much more a part of the overall experience.

Obviously, I think this little "b" movie is a wonderful film. I approach every viewing of "Snatchers" with the idea that I will see it for what most sane people think it is....a little time waster from the 50s, well made but still insignificant. However, I always become involved. This movie grabs me by the throat and never let's me relax. The "older" me thinks the reason I continue to be impressed by the film is the cast. I believe every one of the actors "bought in", from Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter, from King Donovan and Carolyn Jones, to Whit Bissell and Viginia Christine. For me, the actors seemed to believe that this "little" film was worth giving their "all", regardless if many potential moviegoers might percieve their efforts as 2nd rate claptrap. I also think that, although he is a pretty humble film maker, many of Don Siegel's motion pictures grow in prestige every decade. "The Lineup", "The Killers" "Dirty Harry" and "Charly Varrick" are all wonderful tales told by a master story teller. Of course, you already know most or all of the above or you would not be reading a 2012 opinion of a movie made 56 years ago! Thanks of reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4