Profile for Dana > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dana RSS Feed

Vampire Morgue
Vampire Morgue
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars good thing it was free, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Vampire Morgue (Kindle Edition)
Even though this was a free book, I feel like a wasted time reading it. I thought the premise had promise but after an interesting introduction to Calista and her world, it went cattywompus. I had a hard time following what was happening to Calista - the author switched from the present to the past or a flashback without clear transitions. I wanted to finish the story in the hopes that it might all work out in the end, but boy was I disappointed. Unfortunately, I don't recommend this book.

Afterlight: The Dark Ink Chronicles
Afterlight: The Dark Ink Chronicles
by Elle Jasper
97 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable debut in a new series, March 11, 2011
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next book in the series. The heroine is one tough chick and I liked that she has a dark past, which she overcame (we get snippets of her past life throughout the book). Riley is a tattoo artist and is the guardian of her 15 year old brother, Seth. He gets into a spot of trouble with some of his friends and they unknowingly unearth something nasty. Riley is troubled by changes in her brother and there is a mysterious man dogging her steps. She gets pulled into a supernatural world that she had no idea existed.

The author is very detailed in her descriptions of Savannah and it helped bring me deeper into Riley's world, it did not detract from the storytelling. Absolutely love the cover too!

*****Spoilers*****
I felt that the instant attraction between Riley and Eli was intense and believable. Eli tends to be a bit too Alpha at times, trying to intimidate by crowding Riley or being just plain bossy. However, it is clear that he does care for her well being and may be just a tad too protective. He is pretty yummy though. One reviewer complained that the author didn't follow through on the love scenes and I don't see that. I never felt unfulfilled by them, or that the author lost her nerve - there are certainly no fade to black scenes here.

My only complaint would be that the resolution of the big bad happened all too quickly. There was such build up for the fight, waiting until the quickening is almost complete to go after Seth and the boys, Riley's extensive training, etc. Then we meet the powerful V bros, they bite her and one of the good guys manages to kill a V bro. All is well, the boys are rescued and Riley didn't die. I would have preferred a little more action, or even some fighting on Riley's part after all that training she received. It felt a little stunted and rushed, with all that previous in depth detail, these scenes could have really used more here.*****End Spoilers***

What's up with other reviewer's saying Riley is trashy - Just because someone has a tat or a piercing and wears all black or leather, does not make them trashy, please. The cover shows Riley exactly how she is in the book.

Turned (Book #1 in the Vampire Journals)
Turned (Book #1 in the Vampire Journals)
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - thought this might be a good one, February 25, 2011
I mostly bought this book because of the reviews. *are these people all friends with the author??* The writing style was decent, pacing seemed a little too rushed at times and it is very, very short and basically leaves you hanging. It's an obvious opening to a book series, or at least the first 8 chapters of a much longer book. I would have preferred to know that before reading it.

<<<Contains spoilers>>>
I liked the idea that Caitlin was slowly turning into a vampire, her latent powers and hunger coming from out of nowhere or just because she turned 18. The title was a little misleading in that I expected to find out that she was bitten not that she was born a vampire, but I suppose the author was describing her transformation. *shrug*

The problems I have with this very, very short novel is that there was an awful lot of slow build up and then pandemonium hits and the book ends. Meh. I couldn't stand how quickly she falls in love with her rescuer, she doesn't even know this guy and he falls in love with her just as quickly - giving up his coven for her. It's way to quick and I felt cheated. Would have loved to see their attraction for each other develop more slowly. Oh and Caitlin just up and kicks Jonah to the curb like some piece of trash - I was utterly bewildered by her actions and treatment of such a sweet guy.

If the author does turn this into a series, I may be tempted to read another one, just for the sake of finding out if she's "the one" and who all these vamps are, but we'll see.

Swallow
Swallow
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars so disappointing, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Swallow (Kindle Edition)
After reading quite a few reviews, I was expecting a good book and I was sorely disappointed. The female lead became so annoying that I became indifferent to her plight/story. It took 3/4 of the book for her finally ask her therapist why he thinks she has trouble swallowing and that was the ONLY reason I finished the book.

The only bright part of the book were Sophie's friends. I loved Francie and Thom, there were the only redeeming characters here and that's not saying much, as it doesn't take a lot to be more interesting that Sophie or her boyfriend.

I wasted about 3 hours of my life reading this book that I will never get back.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 5:36 PM PST

Dark Symphony (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 9)
Dark Symphony (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 9)
by Christine Feehan
211 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a deviation from the norm..., March 4, 2003
I love the Dark Series, I am so intrigued with the Carpathians and the new spin on the 'vampire'. I have read all Feehan's Dark books, but I especially love this one. It is different from the rest. I got the feeling that Feehan was starting to run out of ideas for her Dark books, they all started to sound the same after a while. Don't get me wrong, I loved them all, but we all know that the male finds his mate and is very protective of her and won't let anyone near her that is male, basically converts her without asking, and she struggles to undertsand who and what he is and is sort of forced to accept him and what he has converted her to.
This book is different in the fact that Byron, keeps his distance from her at first, enjoying her music as it brings colors to his dark existence. He works his way into her world and would have taken his time getting to her heart, unfortunately, one night someone tries to throw Antonetta and her grandfather off a cliff. At that point, Byron can't deny himself any longer. He thought she was lost to him, so he takes over trying to find out who tried to hurt her and pretty much puts the moves on her and makes his way into her heart and bed, of course. This surprises her because she has pretty much fallen in love with him during the time they spend together talking at nighttime, but they have never touched. I think he avoided contact with her, so that he wouldn't lose control as we was trying to court her the old fashioned way, not overpower her. Antonetta is such a great heroine for this book and for Byron, she is understanding, strong and courageous, and she's blind!
As to the comment one of the reviewers made about feeling that the characters had no passion or real love for one another, all I can say is...are you kidding me? I know it said you only read the first few chapters, but just because he doesn't ravish her in the first few chapters doesn't mean they don't love one another or have passion for each other. Keep reading before you make that kind of review, its just not helpful when you haven't even read the entire book! They go up in flames when they finally touch one another. Can you say unconditional love? She finds out more and more of what he is and still loves him, and is not completely afraid of him, well he is kind of scary at times, but she totally trusts him. Of course, she has a secret about her family which helps to explain why she is more understanding of his Carpathian background than most.
Oh, yeah, and he also makes it her choice to convert or not, he does not try to force her. He thought about doing it, but since he loves her so much and admires her for her independence, he does not want to take that choice away from her. Their love for one another far exceeds what I had envisioned for them and I also had no clue as to who the villian was, I am usually good about picking out who they are right away, but this one sort of surprised me. Go figure and good job Feehan!
If you have read the other Dark books, you have to get this one. There are new developments in the Carpathian world that are explained in this book, new twists and all. The love between the two characters sizzles and never dies, so you won't be disappointed with that. Some of Antonetta's family members got a little annoying, but if she can put up with them, why can't we? I can't wait for the next installment of the Dark series, I am sure it will be as good as all the rest. Keep them coming Feehan, we are waiting anxiously!

Fantasy Lover
Fantasy Lover
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
254 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic love story, December 5, 2002
Everyone else has given a background on the characters, so I didn't feel the need to be repetitive. I couldn't put this book down, finished it in about 4 hours and I didn't want the story to end. This was an ultimate love story. The hero, Julian, is this gorgeous man whom every woman wants to get with, but he has inner demons that continually plague him. The heroine, Grace, doesn't particularly think she is a very attractive woman, not one to get catcalls at, and was used in the past by a cruel lover and has issues with intimacy, which I find funny, as she is a sex therapist. =) Julian has done some things in the past for which he is being punished for, hence being trapped in a book as a love-slave and can't even begin to think that he would be worthy of Grace's love. She, on the other hand, doesn't feel like she is beautiful enough for him and of course, has her own intimacy issues. The story kept me laughing. I especially liked the fact that the heroine isn't some hot babe that every man drools over, it was the other way around. I also liked the fact that Julian couldn't keep his hands off Grace and it wasn't due to the love-slave job he was there to perform. He really did see her for who she was and loved her. She also didn't just see a hot male, she wanted him for who he was. When they do find love, it is one that is unmatched in any other romance novel I have read. Oh, don't get me wrong, I have my favorite authors and love their books, but this love story was so strong and heart wrenching that I was crying towards the end. With a really good romance, I might sniffle a little but I usually don't think of myself as a romance crier. But boy, was I sobbing last night. They would do anything for each other and proved that in the end. Wonderful story. Can't wait to read the next installment with the Dark Hunter series.

The Heir
The Heir
by Johanna Lindsey
221 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heir, July 5, 2000
This review is from: The Heir (Hardcover)
This was a great book. I have been reading JL for about 15 years and love almost all her books. There are only a few that I don't re-read a dozen times. Most people seem disappointed in her last two books, but I thought they were still up to par. The Heir is a completely different novel than any I have read of JL's. In this novel, the two become friends first, but soon realize that there is more between them than friendship. There is less passon in this novel, but I think that it makes for a nice change. The heroine is not a breathtakingly beautiful woman, whom the hero cannot live without. Instead, the hero learns he cannot live without her beacause he values her friendship and loves her for who she is, not the person she looks to be. He is not blinded by beauty, which is shown through his dislike of Olivia. In the end, there is still a good amount of passion, since Duncan really enjoys bedding Sabrina. They may not show fire and ice, like so many of JL's characters, but these two have a love that will last a lifetime, friends first! But I still love a passionate JL novel any day of the week.

I recommend any JL novel with a Mallory clan member in it. Gentle Rogue was my first JL novel and I can't wait for a new one to come out. Jeremy Mallory, or even one of the Anderson brothers, Drew or Boyd, they are just as entertaining as the Mallory clan!