Profile for FantasyReader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

FantasyReader "Jody" RSS Feed (Indiana USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful device, June 19, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
Echo is a wonderful device that does even more now than it did when I got it. Love it.

Amazing Mahjong: Zen
Amazing Mahjong: Zen
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars like the game. would give five stars if I could pay to get rid of ads,, September 5, 2014
This review is from: Amazing Mahjong: Zen (App)
W would like to be able to pay to get rid of ads.

Blackhole Cat Litter Mat - Super Size Rectangular 30" X 23" (Dark Gray)
Blackhole Cat Litter Mat - Super Size Rectangular 30" X 23" (Dark Gray)
Offered by MOONSHUTTLE USA
Price: $42.99
2 used & new from $42.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best solution for litter tracking, July 25, 2014
This is the best solution I've found so far for control of litter tracking. It would be even better if it was, say 36" x 30". I have one cat that insists on jumping out of the litter box and hits the mat with one set of paws, if any.

The Big Ten: The First Ten Books of the Beginnings Series
The Big Ten: The First Ten Books of the Beginnings Series
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's great, but also not-so-great, July 9, 2014
This series is both one of my favorite PA series, and my least favorite all at once. I love the premise. It's well thought out, and you don't really know for sure what's going to happen next. It would make a fantastic TV series if the characters were drawn just a tad more maturely. As it stands, it's a contest as to which character you hate (and want to slap silly) the most. This series really doesn't have a hero or heroine, and it badly needs some the characters to grow up.

However, I can't stress enough how important it is for the author to have these books edited professionally. The grammar is terrible, sentence syntax is awkward (to say the least), and there are both run-on and truncated sentences. All of the above distracts me from my enjoyment of the plot. Its as though the author dashes them off, and publishes them without even a cursory re-read. I doubt she even uses spell-check.

If the above issues were addressed, this would be my favorite series of this genre. As written, I can't give it more than 3 stars because the author's creativity is overshadowed by the many immature characters and the non-existent editing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2015 3:27 PM PDT

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping apocalyptic tale, November 20, 2012
This serial book is compelling and fraught with suspense. I was hooked after the first chapter and can't wait to read the rest. I found it extremely well-written, and is the best-edited e-book I've read in a long time.

The Coming Storm
The Coming Storm
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great epic fantasay, but the editing was disappointing, September 1, 2012
This review is from: The Coming Storm (Kindle Edition)
I read (and purchased) the entire series and enjoyed it immensely. However, my enjoyment was marred by the many typos, missing words, and sentences with words in the wrong order within the sentence. The plot and characters were so engaging that the poor editing was particularly glaring. Authors, PLEASE read your books several times with an eye toward typos, sentence construction, and grammar!

The only other thing that bothered me was the constant repetition of phrases that led me to believe the author thinks her readers can't remember certain facts from one chapter to the next. The constant reminders got old.

Except for those few criticisms, this book would have easily been 5 stars for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 6:47 AM PDT

The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga Book 2)
The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga Book 2)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I see possibility for another book in this one, March 25, 2012
The Wayfarer King was a wonderful continuation of the Kinshield Legacy series. There was nothing I didn't like about this one. If anything, it was better and more exciting than the first book of the series. The most interesting aspect was how everything was neatly tied up except for one little that it seems some people missed. I won't go into it here, because I don't want to write a review that will spoil it for anyone else. I will just say that you should carefully re-read the final battle and what happens when Gavin goes back into the house. It sounds very much like the setup for a sequel, and I'm interested in what others think. It was so subtle, that in the heat of the 'battle' the reader could easily miss it. I'm already hungry for more!

The Kinshield Legacy: An epic fantasy adventure (The Kinshield Saga Book 1)
The Kinshield Legacy: An epic fantasy adventure (The Kinshield Saga Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The start of a great series, March 25, 2012
I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Kinshield Legacy. So much so that as soon as I finished it, I bought the sequel immediately to find out the 'rest of the story'. As others said, it was an intriguing concept and there were no gaps or holes in the first book. It could easily stand alone, but I'm glad there's more to come. There were only a very few editing problems, such as missing words. But not enough to totally detract from the storyline.

Life in the ER: After Midnight Book 1
Life in the ER: After Midnight Book 1
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this book, March 14, 2012
After reading the description, I was really looking forward to reading this book. So I settled in last night looking forward to some true-life medical drama in the ER. Within the first few page turns on my Kindle I realized the author had not properly formatted the book for e-readers. There were too many blank pages at the beginning. But, OK, I could live with that.

I didn't have to read two paragraphs, though, before I realized the book has not been edited. The dialogue is strange. There is no use of quotation marks and it's almost impossible to tell who is speaking. Thinking that this might be the author's attempt at a new way of introducing the main character, I soldiered on. But no, the weird dialogue continued. No quotation marks, not much in the way of punctuation other than periods, and no way to tell who is speaking to whom. There there is the fact that there is no setting of the scene, and no character background.

Many times there are two different people speaking in the same paragraph. Not to mention run-on sentences where the speaker changes thoughts in mid-sentence. There is one sentence that runs-on for an entire page.

I also noted a couple of misspellings of simple words like using "site" when I can tell the author meant "sight". I just can't get past the fact that not knowing who is speaking without going back and re-reading paragraphs is not only awkward, but impacts character development.

My hope is that the author will find someone to edit this book. As it is, I don't think I can finish it, even though the plot is of great interest to me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2013 2:43 PM PST

Dragons to Loose (The Dragonic Voyages Book 1)
Dragons to Loose (The Dragonic Voyages Book 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Original Premise, February 18, 2012
This book gets an extra star for it's original premise. I love books about dragons, but they have to be both entertaining, and the dragons more than just dumb monsters. This book fit both of those requirements admirably.

There is one part of the book that really dragged where Morrigan was agonizing over her plight, and her love for Kyan, but perhaps that's because I'm more pragmatic. I wouldn't spend so much time grieving over something there was no possibility of achieving. Nor would I want to die.

The only other part that bothered me was Morrigan's reluctance to kill the King of Byrd. She dithered around about vengeance and the morality of taking a life, when anyone with half a brain could see that the king needed killing by someone!

Except for those two points, the occasional oddly phrased sentence, a couple of minor grammatical things I noticed, and the 'double-naming' (something that I find confusing and unnecessary) I would have given this book 4.5 stars.

All in all, this was a good effort, and I think the writing will get even better as the author continues the series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2012 1:31 PM PST