Profile for rob the computer guy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

rob the computer guy RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
20 Pack Compatible Canon CLI-226 , PGI-225 4 Small Black, 4 Cyan, 4 Magenta, 4 Yellow, 4 Big Black for use with Canon PIXMA iP4820, PIXMA iP4920, PIXMA iX6520, PIXMA MG5120, PIXMA MG5220, PIXMA MG5320, PIXMA MG6120, PIXMA MG6220, PIXMA MG8120, PIXMA MG8120B, PIXMA MG8220, PIXMA MX712, PIXMA MX882, PIXMA MX892. Ink Cartridges for inkjet printers. By © Blake Printing Supply
Offered by Blake Printing Supply TM
Price: $35.99
2 used & new from $35.99

LD © Compatible Alternative Toner to Replace Samsung MLT-D209L High Yield Black Laser Toner Cartridge for ML-2855ND, SCX-4824FN, SCX-4826FN and SCX-4828FN Printers
Offered by LD Products
Price: $37.79
2 used & new from $37.79

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so great., May 11, 2013
I'm writing this review because I see the other review with 1 star... I bought this toner in December 2012 and it's working awesomely for me as of May 11, 2013... so I'm happy with it... no defects/oddities with the printing, and it functions correctly with the printer. In fact, my previous cartridges were not properly resetting the "change toner" warning, but this one fixed that problem, thank goodness.

Very happy with the value of the cartridge and its longevity and reliability.

Dove Men+Care Aqua Impact Body and Face Bar, 8 count - 4 ounce bars
Dove Men+Care Aqua Impact Body and Face Bar, 8 count - 4 ounce bars
Price: $10.69
7 used & new from $9.91

5.0 out of 5 stars It lathers better than the Dove for Men Extra Fresh., April 24, 2013
Works well, smells fine (what is that other guy talking about) but the main thing is that it lathers better than the Dove extra fresh scent. Very happy with it, doesn't melt quickly or anything.

Now Foods, Soy Protein, Unflavored, 2 lbs (907 g)
Now Foods, Soy Protein, Unflavored, 2 lbs (907 g)
Offered by HealthZone
Price: $23.90
14 used & new from $18.79

1.0 out of 5 stars This is really awful protein "powder"., March 12, 2013
I purchased a container of whey protein from Now foods and it was fine, and I mistakenly re-ordered this - soy protein - the homogeneous packaging that Now foods uses with just different words makes it far too easy to make a mistake.

In any event, I would be fine to use this protein if it was not so absolutely god awful. As fine and caked up as the powder is in the container, it does not blend smoothly into a drink - it is very heavy, constantly settles to the bottom and even when it is mixed, is so powdery and grainy that it literally sticks in my throat. This stuff is just awful. And it alters the taste far too dramatically to be called "unflavored".

And there's no scoop included, for what that's worth. I could not mix this adequately with 16 ounces of liquid, so I tried using a smaller measurement, which meant I got less protein than I wanted, and even still, it was so grainy and powdery, it was literally like it would just get stuck in the soft tissue of my throat as I swallowed it and I needed to wash it down with water.

Just awful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2014 1:50 PM PDT

LINKYO Replacement Canon 128 Toner Cartridge - Black
LINKYO Replacement Canon 128 Toner Cartridge - Black
Offered by MymorExpress
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Canon brand toner, I'll tell you that!!, March 5, 2013
The previous toner we bought from an office supply store of the official Canon brand never worked properly. The low toner light never went out, and the pages never printed clearly. Really, we have no idea what the deal is.

Why in the world Canon is making an OFFICE printer with a toner cartridge for $89 that prints 2,100 pages is beyond me. That's some scam the likes of which I haven't seen since I owned HP products.

THIS TONER WAS AWESOME and makes keeping this printer a viable option now. VERY VERY happy with it!! I'm sure there will be some bad eggs with any product like this - my advice is to not buy ahead so you can return it within the Amazon guarantee/warranty of 30 days if necessary. It's the only way to go, unfortunately. But we'll be looking for Linkyo all the time!

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: the Ars Technica Review
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: the Ars Technica Review
Price: $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars $5 for a product review? Is this a Joke?, July 20, 2011
There were 5 product reviews before this item even became available to the author to tweet about at about 11:55pm EDT.

I think this is a bizarre way to try to grab people's money, $5 for a product review? That's ridiculous.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2011 8:54 PM PDT

Tupperware Pencil Sharpener
Tupperware Pencil Sharpener
Offered by MAMAJ
Price: $1.99
6 used & new from $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The item is only for 1 piece, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Tupperware Pencil Sharpener
I thought this was for a 4 pack, as some other small Tupperware items I saw on Amazon from Marketplace sellers were in units of 4. It's just for 1, and I would not have paid $5+ for a miniature pencil sharpener. But it's not worth the trouble or expense to send it back. I mean it's very small, it would hold the shavings from maybe 4 uses. It's smaller than other Tupperware containers of the same size that I think are called Smidgets, or something like that. This is a miniature item.

Danby Premiere DPAC12010H 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner with heater- Euro Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular Air Conditioner, April 21, 2011
For whatever it's worth, I previously owned a Royal Sovereign that I was overall happy with.

Danby makes great products. This air conditioner came with all the parts needed for all possible installations, and if you use it as a dehumidifier, it has a drainage hose that you must attach. It comes with enough panels for sliding door installation.

The unit itself is MUCH quieter than the Royal Sovereign, and while I'm sure it's noisier than a window unit, I'm thrilled that it is as quiet as it is.

It's also slightly smaller than the RS was. I was nervous about the white plastic outside, but it is a shiny, easy to clean surface.

The air conditioner output can be directed up or forward, but side to side is not variable. This unit also has heat.

One funny thing though is that the air conditioner has a remote, right... but you can't see the settings on the air conditioner because the indicator lights are on top!

The thermostat works extremely well. This air conditioner does not turn off when the desired temperature has been reached and this seems to be common with portable units.

In 2005 Consumer Reports said if you buy a portable unit, get one with 2 hoses because it will work... the single hose portable units do not work. They were right. Get your portable with 2 hoses.

This air conditioner is overpowered for my space, so I cannot review it on strength, but it was as strong as the RS unit that was also the same BTU.

Please feel free to comment on my review if you have questions I can answer for you.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2012 12:27 PM PDT

URC WR7 Universal Remote Control for up to 7 A/V Components with 4 Favorite Channel Buttons

3.0 out of 5 stars This remote absolutely works, but has design flaws., March 10, 2011
I have programmed this remote with a bizarre quantity of devices and functions, one of which was completely customizing it to work Windows Media Center. This remote will do everything, and every single review I have read so far is wrong in stating limitations of memory or "it can't learn certain functions." Putting it in your review is fair, but it's very unlikely that this remote will have a problem with any code on any device, so do not hesitate to buy it thinking you might have that problem.

There are some remote functions that are harder to learn because when you are holding your finger down on the old remote - no matter how long - it only broadcasts a singular blip of signal. Most functions will have a continuous stream of signal so you can hold it down until the remote has gotten the code.

When reviewing the remote and claiming your trouble, perhaps tell the make and model of your device. Was it the DVD player you bought at the day-after-thanksgiving special at your local Piggy Wiggly? Some brand nobody would ever have heard of like Wackoshiba?

Someone else reported that they ran out of memory trying to program the remote. Having reprogrammed like 30 additional functions at one point, I don't believe that actually happened. (I say that with kindness.) What I think you're doing is you programmed all the devices and you then tried to remap buttons all over the place. The device handles everything you can think of by default - if there are functions you want to add in there, that's fine, but you can't possibly have more than 2 or 3 functions per device that you might want to add to the remote. It sounds more like you are moving functions around instead of adding functions that are missing because this thing does everything, on every device type, on every brand. There are no missing keys, except for one...

One person noted that there's no sleep button - you're right, except that you can probably activate a menu where there is the sleep function, and then click-click-ok and your sleep timer is set. Also, when you switch to TV, surely there's an extra button on the remote that you don't actually need for TV operation, just reprogram it to be your sleep button. For example, does "pause" work on your TV? Then program that key to be "sleep" for TV.

The real problem with this remote is in the design and I know my claim is perhaps equally obscure as the ones I call out above. I bought the remote for the lighted keys. Well, for myself and people with bad eyesight, the lighted keys will not help you to read the keys any better. Once you've learned the keys, you need the light to know where you're pressing, but it's pretty hard to actually read the keys. What is really a problem is the "light" key is all the way at the bottom so that if you are using one hand, you have to inch your way down to the bottom of the remote until you reach that key, press it, and then inch your way back up... but the real problem is I can't always do that fast enough before the light even goes out. The light is way, way too short in duration. Maybe that's because I can't read the remote easily, so it takes me too long to execute my function?

Even with the lighted keys, the light is red. It's not appropriate to backlight a remote with red light. And it's not like the button is lighted red and the label on the button is a solid color. Instead, there is a graphic stenciled on the button where the button's text is the lighted red area, and the rest of the button is coated in black ink. It causes the text label to actually be smaller, because it's an outlined stencil graphic. I've tried to use the remote with an elderly client and he could simply not make any use of the remote because he couldn't read it in daylight and he couldn't read it using the red backlight. (In the daylight, the text is dark grey from the clear rubber/plastic against the black stencil. How is anyone going to easily read that?) This style design isn't unique to this remote; there are other remotes with similar reverse printing like this. He can see solid white writing on a button, or he can see a [big] black number on a lighted button, but he cannot make out the stenciled number on a lighted button.

So I'd say the real problem with this remote is that it will take a while to learn how to use it, and until you learn how to use it, you'll need a flashlight to see what you're doing. There are some remotes you've used and you know they designed it so you would grab it in one spot most of the time and they made the relevant buttons right there where you can reach them without moving your hand around. On this remote, I'm sliding up and down the thing all day long - when I can see what I'm doing.

However - I have replaced multiple remotes with this unit - and I use it willingly. I hope they release a next generation where the light comes on and stays on when you press ANY button!
Comment Comments (29) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 1:14 PM PST

Philips 32PFL4505D/F7 32-Inch 1080p LED LCD HDTV, Black
Philips 32PFL4505D/F7 32-Inch 1080p LED LCD HDTV, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice, especially for the money, October 27, 2010
I purchased two of these to use as computer monitors. They are really great TV's and monitors. They were light and thin, and displayed a great picture.

I had a quirk on my computer where the display would not work DVI-HDMI so I couldn't get them to work with my computer. Apparently this has something to do with HDCP.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3