Profile for Dave Edmiston > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 87

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Edmiston RSS Feed (So Cal)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
iPhone 6 Case, ModeBlu [Classic Diary] Wallet Case Journal Cover PU Synthetic Leather Case [Gold]- compatible with Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile, AT&T, Unlocked, and International Phones- iPhone 6 2014 Model
Offered by Casefad
Price: $8.00
2 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous iPhone case, December 17, 2014
First a warning: If you plan to fully stuff this case with credit cards and anything else rigid, you should make sure and install a screen protector to ensure that the credit cards don't scuff up the screen on your phone.

Having said that, I really love this case. My wife loves it even more, so now it's her instead of mine. She said that quite a few people commented on it at work, so it was an attention-getter and was well received.

The iPhone 6 fits easily into this case and you can also remove it easily if you have multiple cases. This case provides complete 360* protection when the cover is closed. If the cover is open, everything but the screen is protected from falls.

This is a practical case for going out on the town. You can slip your ID, a few credit cards, and some cash into the case and avoid having to carry anything more bulky like a purse or wallet.

The colors are also attractive and fashionable.

My wife's only complaint is that she has to fold back the cover when she's on the phone. I can't tell if she's going to get used to that or not, but she kind of likes to switch her cases around, so this might just be her "special occasion" case.

Camry Digital Luggage Scale 110lbs / 50kgs Large and Blue Backlight LCD Display
Camry Digital Luggage Scale 110lbs / 50kgs Large and Blue Backlight LCD Display
Offered by Camry Scale Store
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for anything with a handle, December 17, 2014
This is the perfect way to weigh anything that has a handle. No more stepping on the bathroom scale and doing the math to subtract your own shameful body weight. This is a quick, simple, and accurate way to weigh anything up to 110 pounds. The strap on the scale loops around the handle of whatever you want to weigh. Then you pick it up and hold still for a few seconds. Then it freezes the display so you can put the object down and view the weight. I love it.

I was provided this item for review.

Wooden Bottle Opener - The ECO Friendly Choice by Frost - Set of Three Wooden Hand Openers - Comes in Attractive Gift Box - Quality Guarantee
Offered by Frost Ltd.
Price: $13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of openers, December 10, 2014
This is a great set of openers with so many applications. The openers themselves do just what they're supposed to do: open bottles. That part is pretty straightforward. They have attractive wooden handles with a smooth sanded finish.

I can think of so many uses for these. We entertain quite a bit at home and it's always difficult when there's only one opener. Has anyone seen "the" opener. You're way better off with three.

Same goes for office parties. This is a great set to keep with your entertainment kit at work.

These are also good when you just want to spread them around: keep one at home, one with the camping gear, and one in the beach bag.

The uses are endless.

I was provided these openers for review.

iHome iBT31GC Bluetooth Stereo FM Clock Radio and Speakerphone with USB Charging [Amazon Exclusive]
Price: $67.99
2 used & new from $63.23

1.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth bully, December 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I should preface this by mentioning that I LOVE Bluetooth devices. I have Bluetooth (BT) speakers all over my house. I also use the BT connection in my car and I even use BT headphones almost every day. I consume 99% of my mobile media (music and podcasts) via BT devices. I mention this only to point out that I'm no newcomer to the nuances of BT connectivity.

So on one hand, the iHome folks should really take a bow and congratulate themselves for the range of this BT speaker. It completely exceeds the BT standards as I understand them. My understanding is that the Bluetooth signal should reach a maximum of 30 feet with a direct line of sight. However, this signal reaches from the front door of my house all the way to my nightstand, which happens to be upstairs and on the other side of the house, probably 45 feet away and has plenty of walls, stairs, and furniture in the way. This turns out to be the exact opposite of "direct line of sight".

So good for them for this hearty Bluetooth connectivity, but I'm hard pressed to figure out why this is necessary. What's the scenario where I want to have the contents of my phone amplified one floor and many rooms away?

Even worse, equipped with this incredible signal strength, it's up to them to use their powers for good, not evil. But evil is pretty much what this device is: This radio is a Bluetooth bully. Not only CAN it connect to devices 45' away, it INSISTS on it. The instant that this clock radio detects that my phone is in range, it pairs up and usurps my signal. No matter what mode I put the radio in, it will switch over to Bluetooth and pair up with my phone. I can turn the radio off. I can switch it to Aux. I can wrap it in pillows. Nothing will stop it.

Picture this scenario:

I walk through the door after taking the dog for her daily early-morning walk. The rest of the house is still asleep, so I want to keep things quiet while I start my day downstairs. I don't like wearing earphones in the house though, so before I walk through the door I unplug my earbuds and turn the sound down low enough on my phone so I can still hear it but nobody upstairs can.

So far so good.

I can hear my podcast through the phone's speaker well enough, so then I walk through the door. Two seconds later, no more podcast, but my phone isn't paused. Let me turn it up a little bit. Still nothing.

Now I can faintly hear it, but oddly enough it sounds like it's coming from upstairs. OH NO, my nightstand clock radio has hijacked my audio and is broadcasting it to my wife who is still in bed. Doggone it. So I shut it off and forgo my podcast. I figure if I move around downstairs in utter silence it will somehow make up for blasting my audio into the bedroom upstairs.

A half hour goes by and my London office should be calling me any minute for my scheduled early call. I set my phone on the kitchen table so it's in reach when the call comes in. I even turned down the volume on my phone so the ringer won't wake anybody up.

What's that sound?

My phone is vibrating and very quietly ringing, but I can hear something else too.

You've got to be kidding me! Since I hadn't thought to turn off Bluetooth, my phone is still paired with the clock radio and now the phone is ringing through the radio upstairs. I'm just digging my grave deeper and deeper with my dear wife.

You get the picture. You can imagine how annoying and intrusive this is. I can be anywhere in my house and start playback on my phone and two seconds later the clock radio will come to life (even if it's OFF and/or turned to a different mode) and hijack my signal. My only solution was to unpair my phone and give up the BT functionality.

So what do I have now?

I have a clock with a USB port to plug in my iPhone cable. That's not what I would hope for from a device in this price range.

And just as an asterisk, I should point out that the sound quality from the speakers is really poor. Of all the BT speakers I have in the house, this one is by far the worst--even worse than speakers at less than half the cost.

So hopefully I'll remember this and other misadventures with iHome and not repeat the mistake.

L'Occitane Shea Butter Fabulous Oil, 3.5 fl. oz.
L'Occitane Shea Butter Fabulous Oil, 3.5 fl. oz.
Price: $36.00
2 used & new from $36.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaves an oily residue, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't know how our species has become so arid, but somehow hydration has become the #1 issue of our time. Back in the 60s and 70s I was confident that our nation was dedicating our top R&D resources into designing practical jet packs for everyday household use by the year 2000, but it's now clear to see that we've had to divert those efforts into the more pressing matter of hydration. Fair enough.

So does this product take us any closer towards the cure? Well, yes and no. Yes it does, but so would salad oil, and the salad oil wouldn't have such a strong fragrance.

So first let's address the effectiveness. I think this is actually pretty effective. To illustrate the point I used some on my own hand that I had injured a month ago. I had shocked myself and suffered a very bad electrical burn around my ring finger. (The shock was bad enough that it blew some of the diamonds out of my wedding band and I had to cut the ring off my finger before the swelling cut off the circulation.) My finger has healed up pretty well in the four weeks since I injured it, but there is still a very deep dry crack on the palm side of my finger. It is very pronounced and has dry rough edges. I don't like the idea of covering the wound with sticky ointments now that it has closed up pretty well, but I wanted to see if this would have any effect on the dryness. So I dabbed a very small amount on a fingertip and then rubbed it on this dry cracked site. It's been over 24 hours now and I have bathed, washed dishes, and done whatever other incidental stuff that a man does over the course of 24 hours. The injured skin is still soft and the rough dry cracks all have smoothed edges. It's a total transformation and that area is now completely hydrated. Call me surprised (not shocked though, because getting shocked hurts too much).

But this isn't really designed to repair a guy's dry injured hand. How does this work on my wife's skin and hair.

Well, as a hair product, it's just yucky. It's just as funky as if you sprayed vegetable oil in your hair, except without the flies.

It's greasy on her skin too. It just doesn't look right.

The fragrance is funky too. Not good.

So in my opinion, the folks who formulated this would probably have been better utilized if they kept working on the jet pack R&D.

L'Occitane Immortelle Precious Serum, 1 fl. oz.
L'Occitane Immortelle Precious Serum, 1 fl. oz.
Price: $70.00
2 used & new from $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Moisturizer, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

So does this product take us any closer towards the cure? Actually, yes it does. I was pleasantly surprised.

My wife has beautiful skin, but she is genetically cursed with crows feet around her eyes and laugh lines around her mouth. It's a good problem to have, as these are the signs of a face that has spent most of its life laughing at one thing or another (for the past 28 years just pointing at me and laughing).

I didn't expect to see results very quickly, but surprisingly enough this serum changed her appearance very quickly. The effect wasn't to totally erase the laugh lines (which would have been a bad result in my opinion), but to dramatically soften them. It's as if some of the creases had been gently filled in and others had been smoothed over. The effect is almost like applying a Photoshop filter to an image. Pretty cool.

My wife is beautiful to me either way, but I know she likes the look and feel of her after hyper-hydrating with this serum. It's very nice.

DBK N20 Ultra-compact 20000mAh Dual USB Portable Charger External Battery Pack for iPad Smart Phones
Offered by DBK. Inc
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Charger: Massive Capacity, December 4, 2014
I love portable battery charger packs. I make sure to always keep a couple of chargers in my laptop bag, because I never know when one of my devices is going to need a boost. I'm kind of geeky about these things, but I have to confess that I probably have a dozen chargers between my office and home (I share with my family). Typical chargers have a capacity of 5,000 mAh (that's the number of hours of capacity per mileampre). My favorite chargers are all at least 10,000 mAh; this one is DOUBLE that capacity. This means that I can recharge many more devices per charge on this pack. This one is the largest I've ever owned.

Not only does this charger have the largest storage capacity of any of my portable chargers, it also has the largest OUTPUT. Most chargers have one 1A port and one 2.1A port for charging tablets or quick-charging phones. This one has TWO 2.1A USB ports, which means I can charge two iPads at once or quick charge two phones.

I brought this with me to a meeting that I knew was going to be really packed. When folks fly in from all over the country to attend meetings like these, it's inevitable that we all start fighting over the few power outlets in the room. I set this on the conference room table and told the group that they were welcome to use it to recharge their gizmos. Through the course of the day I watched at least ten different devices plug into this charger. Everyone was amazed. It still had plenty of charge left even after a day like that.

The focus of this charger pack is power: power stored and power delivered. That means it's pretty much no-frills. No digital display, etc. It has four LED levels to show the remaining capacity in 25% increments. It also has an LED flashlight that was surprisingly underpowered. The glossy white case is attractive though and easy to clean up.

This charger adds about a pound to my laptop bag, so I'll probably have to take out some other stuff to compensate for the weight. It's totally worth it though.

Panasonic EH-NA65-K Smooth & Shiny Hair Dryer with Nanoe Technology
Panasonic EH-NA65-K Smooth & Shiny Hair Dryer with Nanoe Technology
Price: $129.99
3 used & new from $116.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice dryer, December 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice hair dryer, but as hard as I've tried to figure out why it's a $130 hair dryer, I just can't find the value.

I have pretty short hair and don't use a dryer that often, so I admit that I'm not the target market. But my wife has very thick long hair and uses a blow dryer every time she washes her hair. I've kept a close eye on her hair since she started using this dryer and I can't detect any difference either. So I asked her directly, would you pay $130 for this? No, she wouldn't. She said that it's not much different than her $40 dryer.

I like the fact that there are two independent controls: temp and air speed. That's nice. I also like the fact that you can override the heat and blast cold air on demand. That's a great touch.

But as far as the moisturizing and conditioning aspects, I can't detect them at all. I'm not typically such a skeptic, but when a product costs substantially more than the everyday version that I've been using for years, I need to somehow be convinced and wowed that the product is really worth paying so much more. Unfortunately, I wasn't wowed by this dryer.

CulCharge Smallest Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone & iPad Apple MFI Certified
CulCharge Smallest Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone & iPad Apple MFI Certified
Price: $25.00
2 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Very touchy connections, December 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is such a clever idea and it's incredibly useful, but the connections are too finicky for my liking. I can't help but kind of love this thing though.

OK, here are my specifics on the connections:

The lightning connector (the small end) has a big fat plastic bezel around it. This bezel is pretty much guaranteed to interfere with ANY iPhone case. My case is easy enough to remove, but who wants to take their case off to charge their phone? That alone is pretty much a deal breaker in my book.

On the other end is a very interesting USB connector. Instead of a typical USB plug with a top and a bottom (the top being the blocker part that prevents you from plugging it in the wrong way), this only has the bottom piece--the business end of the USB connection. That's a novel idea, but it's not as easy to plug in as you'd think.

Also, since this is just a short fob instead of a longer cable, there's a 50/50 chance that you'll be charging your device with the face down. That's just a pet peeve of mine, but I'd much rather be able to see the front of my phone while it's charging. How else can I see when it's done charging?

So yes, I'll hang onto this little fob. I'll keep it at the bottom of my laptop bag and it will be the loaner when people want to borrow an iPhone cable.

Belkin Slim-Fit Plus Armband for iPhone 6 (Blacktop)
Belkin Slim-Fit Plus Armband for iPhone 6 (Blacktop)
Price: $33.52
11 used & new from $29.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Good workout case, December 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice case for the iPhone 6. The phone fits fairly snugly, so you'll need to remove your case first. Keep that in mind if you have a complicated case.

The clear front of the case works well and it's easy to control the phone. You can also access the physical controls on the phone (on/off and volume up/down). Access to the mic is covered though, so don't bother trying to answer the phone if it rings...just let it go to voicemail.

The arm band is pretty snug. You'll have trouble if you have huge arms. It should fit most people OK though.

I've used a lot of different arm cases for iPhones before and this one is better than most.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20