Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Dave Edmiston > Reviews

Browse

Dave Edmiston's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1189
Top Reviewer Ranking: 129

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Edmiston RSS Feed (So Cal)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Mexican Kitchen by Rick Bayless Cast Iron Manual Tortilla Press, Medium, Black
Price: $39.90
3 used & new from $38.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and fun, August 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This press makes great tortillas. The fresh ones taste incredible compared to store-bought.

Let's make one thing clear though: Making your own tortillas is a lot of work. This isn't a convenience item. If you love to fool around in the kitchen and you love making something special, then this is a great way to do it. If you're looking for convenience though, this is 100% not convenient. It's fun and it makes a great product, but it definitely takes some time.

So about the press itself...

This press is built well. As the description says, it makes 7" tortillas (or smaller if you want). I expected the contraption to be larger, but I was pleased to see that it isn't much larger than the 7" disk. One thing that's slightly inconvenient is that if you want to store this flat (and/or store it in its box), you have to remove the handle when you're done with it. That isn't so bad; the screw that attaches the handle only needs to be finger tight.

The tortillas you make will be very consistent if you can keep your dough portions consistent and apply the same pressure every time. This gets easier with some practice. A slight amount of inconsistency is part of the fun though.

One reviewer mentioned that this didn't come with a tortilla recipe. I found a recipe book inside the package, but I think it's a lot better to use the recipe on the package of your masa flour, because the flour product can vary and the flour manufacturer's instructions are more reliable than anything else. The brand flour I used was very simple to work with. It took me about five minutes to make the dough. Cutting the dough into equal portions was a little bit of a challenge, but I got good at it pretty quickly. The recipe said that it would make 19 tortillas, but I cheated and portioned my dough into 20 tortillas.

The easiest way for me to portion the dough was to roll the whole batch into an even ball, squash the ball down until it was about 1.5" thick, and then cut that big flat ball into quarters. It's easy enough to eyeball four even quarters. Then I cut each 1/4 wedge of dough into five smaller wedges. The wedges were easy enough to form into balls before I pressed them into tortillas.

A couple more tips:

* Keeping the dough from drying out was really important. It's a hot summertime right now and probably 85-90 degrees in my kitchen. I put my cut dough pieces in a big glass Pyrex bowl and covered the bowl with a wet dish cloth.

* Frying each individual tortilla was the bottleneck for me. Depending on your recipe, you'll need to cook each one a minute or two, which could take over an hour if you're doing a couple of dozen of them one at a time. I used a griddle that covered two burners and things went a lot faster that way. With my mediocre kitchen skills, the most I could keep track of at once was three on the griddle. That worked well for me since my recipe said to cook them 30 seconds per side and flip them three times (90 seconds each). That made it pretty simple to put three on the griddle and move them down the line as I flipped them and then the bottom one was ready to come off when it was done.

* The 30 seconds between flips is plenty of time to grab another piece of dough, form it from its wedge shape into a ball, and press it.

* To keep the time running, I set my phone on the counter and turned on the stopwatch. The total elapsed time was irrelevant, but it was easy to see when you were on a thirty or a minute (n:30 or n:00).

That's it for my impression of the press itself. This press is awesome, but I've never used a press before and can't compare this one to its competitors for quality or value. My family loved the results. I was a little surprised by the amount of work involved, but once I started my second batch and figured out how to fry three at a time it was pretty easy.

Now let's talk about the video on this product page. My wife has given me this bit of sage but contradictory advice for the kitchen: "Recipes are for unimaginative rookies, but YOU my friend should always use a recipe." I guess that makes me an unimaginative rookie. Whatever. So I made it a point to closely follow the instructions in this video.

I quickly realized that the tortilla recipe in the video was irrelevant to me because it was so far astray from the recipe on the masa flour package. I followed the video's recipe at first, but it didn't work at all and I just tossed that batch of dough in the trash.

The pork carnitas recipe was SO CLOSE, but SO FAR from being good.

First of all, I should have known better than believe the "Makes 6 tacos" line. How in the world can you fit four pounds of meet into six tacos? Who eats 2/3 lb tacos? I wasn't smart enough to notice this at first though, so I decided to double the meat so my wife, son, and I could have more than two tacos each. And since finding a four pound pork butt is nearly impossible, I ended up with more like 10-11 pounds of meat. That's OK though. Leftovers are awesome.

Next, the instructions to use a bone-in shoulder directly contradicted the instruction to cut the pieces at least two inches thick. You're lucky to get two or may be three cuts like that on a shoulder with the bone in it. Once you cut the bone out (a tricky cut), you don't have a big roast-shaped piece of meat anymore. That's OK, but it definitely doesn't jive with the video. I've cut a lot of pork butts over the years to make sausage, so I'm no stranger to this cut. If you want to shave off some prep time, get a boneless cut like picnic. The flavor will be just as good.

My other big disagreement with the video was their use of a dutch oven. First of all, there's no way in the world to fit four pounds into a dutch oven. It's just too small. Secondly the dutch oven doesn't provide as good a sear on the meat. I used a large roasting pan covered with foil for the first hour. This batch of meat came out way better than the batch that I cooked in the dutch oven. Just for kicks I tried a crock pot too. This wasn't good at all.

So my best results were from a large roasting pan. I also thought the meat needed just a little more seasoning. The "liberal salt" was good, but not super healthy. I tried backing off on the salt just a little bit and adding fresh ground pepper and chili pepper flakes. The ground pepper is good, because it burns just a little bit and adds a little char taste to the seared surface.

Having said all that and in spite of my qualms with the video recipe, the pork carnitas were some of the best meat I've ever made. The flavor and texture were fantastic and my family loved it. That eleven pounds of taco meat will last us a long time. And my dog loved the two shoulder bones.

All in all, this was a lot of work for a taco night. The meat needs to cook for hours, so it's pretty simple to crank out the tortillas while the meat roasts in the oven.

Wellness Divine Duos Natural Grain Free Wet Cat Food, Poultry Pleasers Variety Pack, 2.8-Ounce (Value Pack of 24)
Price: $35.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Both Cats Ignored It, August 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an alltime first. Up until now there have been two kinds of foods in my cats lives: the stuff they like and the stuff they LOVE. Now there is a smaller third category: the stuff they won't even touch.

I set out a portion of this food for each of my cats last night. It looked revolting to me, but I'm not a cat. This morning both of those bowls are still mostly full and the food looks even more disgusting than it did last night. Now I have a big yucky mess to clean out of both of their bolws.

My cats aren't picky at all. I try to be considerate to them, but they essentially eat whatever I put out for them whether it's the daily dry food or the special wet food as a treat. But now they're both looking at me like "Gee Dave, what did we ever do to you? We kill your mice and we're good about not coughing up a lot of furballs, but this is how you thank us? Watch your step, man, because we won't soon forgive you for this." So now I'm in the awkward position of having to make ammends to my cats.

Needless to say, I threw away the unused portions of this food. I don't need this kind of disdain from my cats.

Alex, Ben & Co. Kid'n Together
Alex, Ben & Co. Kid'n Together
3 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun stuff from Doctor Ben, August 20, 2015
Doctor Ben Meisel is a pediatrician who specializes in "Building Play Into Health". He is a man who has dedicated his life to kids' health and wellbeing. I met Dr. Ben through a community yourth organization where we both volunteer. His love for kids and his dedication to their service is abundantly clear to all who know him. He is also musically gifted and--together with his brother--has produced this special album of kids music.

I grew up across the street from a woman whose family produced children's recordings. She used to give me record albums of kids' songs. So I've grown up with a special place in my heart for children's music and the people who produce it. It's so wonderful to see men like the Meisel brothers create an upbeat album like this, just for kids.

The music is fun for kids but not so syrupy sweet that their parents will regret listening to it. Many of the songs are familiar and I assume some of the others are original. Even the familiar songs are creatively adapted to capture your kids attention and engage them in the melodies and lyrics. The tracks are acoustic and not over-produced. They did a great job.

This is a great CD for young children, especially at a time when there are so many mature messages competing for our kids' attention. This music is happy and wholesome and will entertain and engage your kids.

Alex, Ben, & Co. - KiD'n Together

Price: $6.97
9 used & new from $6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars How dirty are you?, August 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really love Dove products. I've used a lot of them and have always been satisfied. This men's body wash is no exception. The only strange thing about this product though is the gargantuan bottle. Just how dirty do they think we are? With almost 24 ounces of this soap product, either the good folks at Dove expect us to literally bathe in this stuff or else maybe they're expecting this to be the last bottle of soap we ever buy. The product photo doesn't do it justice because there's nothing in the picture for scale. This bottle is HUGE though.

I like the clean fresh scent and I like the clean feeling afterwards. As with other Dove men's products, the fragrance is appealing but not too overpowering. I work near some folks who are sensitive to fragrances and nobody has ever complained about this or any of my other Dove products (at least not to my face).

This body wash is another hit from Dove.

iPhone 6 Wallet Cases,Taken Leather Case [Dark Brown] - [Card Slot][Flip][Wallet][Water proof][Perfect Fit] - For Apple iPhone 6 4.7
Offered by Taken Cases
Price: $69.99
2 used & new from $17.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy wallet case, August 12, 2015
There are times when we go out and I don't want to carry my big fat wallet in my pocket and I don't want the world to see my beat up every-day phone case. I love having a nice clean wallet case to swap into. It makes my phone look nicer and it gives me a convenient place to keep my ID, debit card, and a couple of bucks.

This case has two slots for cards on the inside flap. On the back is a smaller pocket for more credit cards, cash, or a few business cards.

The cover of the wallet fastens shut with a magnetic strap. The magnet is just barely strong enough to fasten the cover, which I like, because it won't demagnetize any of my credit cards. It will probably demagnetize a hotel room key, but I guess your phone probably will too.

The rigid inside brown shell is sturdy, but not bulky. It fits the phone just fine. It protects the vulnerable corners of the phone without impeding access to the ports & connections on the bottom and it doesn't interfere with the camera lens or flash.

The lighter brown faux leather cover has a medium gloss but isn't too flashy. For some reason it has a cutout slit for the phone's earpiece. I haven't figured out why you would need to listen through that slit with the cover closed if the mouthpiece is covered too. Come to think of it, maybe the mic on the iPhone 6 is on the bottom of the phone near the charge connector. i always assumed it was associated with the Home button, but that probably isn't true afterall. Maybe I just learned something and maybe you can actually talk on the phone with the cover closed instead of folding it around backward. Hmmm.

In any case, I really like this phone case. It won't replace my more rugged every day case, but I really like being able to slip into this one in more formal occasions or when I want to ditch my wallet.

I was provided this item for review.

Belkin Conserve Insight Energy Use Monitor (F7C005)
Belkin Conserve Insight Energy Use Monitor (F7C005)
Price: Click here to see our price
12 used & new from $22.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with this, August 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was excited to try out this energy monitor, but the cons far outweigh the pros. I'm really not happy with it.

First of all, the wall plug is strangely shaped and covers both plugs in a standard outlet. The only way I could plug this in and still use it was by plugging it into an extension cord. That's a hassle.

Secondly, this doesn't have a resettable counter like similar monitors have, so you can't measure the specific usage over a period of time. Want to measure the usage of that old fridge in your garage? It won't be as simple as you think, because you can't zero it out and view the usage over time. It will show the usage of the fridge while it's on, but since the fridge cycles off and on what you really want to see is how much juice it used in a 24 hr period or over the span of a week. This Belkin monitor will show you an average usage, but I want to see the *actual* usage.

I really thought I was going to like this monitor, but it isn't as useful for me as others (like Kill-A-Watt).

J&D Men's Silicone Wedding Band Ring - Black, Grey, Navy Blue for Athletic Active Lifestyle
Offered by Jikada
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, August 12, 2015
This ring fits my finger perfectly. I have reviewed many rings from another vendor, King Will, and picked this one in the same size. Mine fits snugly but not too tight, just how I like it.

This flexible rubber ring is comfortable and doesn't have any irritating sharp edges. My finger is still tender from when I electrocuted myself on a car battery about ten months ago and I'm sensitive to the feel of a ring on that finger as the skin continues to heal. This one doesn't bother me though. I wish I had been wearing a non-conductive ring like this last year when I shocked myself connecting that battery to my RV.

This ring is safer than metal rings that conduct current, but don't forget that just about any ring (or any jewelry at all) can still get caught on things and possibly injury your finger.

Setting that doom & gloom aside though, this is a decent informal men's ring. It isn't very fancy, but it's still enough to say "married". I felt like a creep when I went without a ring for so long while my finger was healing.

Finish Powerball Tabs Automatic Dishwasher Detergent, Shine and Protect Max in 1, 48 Count
Offered by Nancy's market place
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Getting a New Dishwasher, August 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A friend of mine heard me griping about my worn out dishwasher (15 years old) and how I have to completely wash my dishes by hand before I load them into the dishwasher and even then, the dishes barely come out clean.

Yeah, pretty boring. That's what two guys were talking about.

Anyway, he told me to check out these Finish cubes. I had seen them in the store before, but they looked kind of expensive and I'm sure my wife would have yelled at me for buying something so gimmicky. But since Dan recommended it, I'll blame it on him.

THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

I live in southern California just north of L.A. Our municipal water tastes pretty good, but it's really hard water. I think I'm the only guy on my street who's too stubborn to pay for a water softener service (that's a different story though).

So I gave these things a try.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. I know we're all busy, but take a minute to read the instructions. The most important tidbit that's easy to overlook is that you shouldn't store these under your sink where it's damp. Store them someplace else where it's dry (and out of reach of small kids).

RESULTS:

From the first wash my dishes came out so doggone clean I couldn't believe it. I'm in charge of doing the dishes in my family and these clean dishes made my eyes start to water up (kidding). They're really beautiful though. Our plates feel like someone waxed and polished them. Our cups and glasses are all spotless.

At every meal I see my family reach down and touch their plates just to feel the new smooth finish.

The real benefit comes after a few loads. Once your dishes have been through a few loads with Finish, the dishes develop a smooth enough finish that they're even easier to clean. Just a quick rinse in the sink takes all the food residue off. Then you can toss them into the dishwasher for another treatment.

Procella Classic Wooden Stick Umbrella for Stylish, Classy Protection Against All Weather (Dark Wood)
Offered by Nordic WP
Price: $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Dandy, August 11, 2015
One of the lessons I've learned in life is that one should never be too possessive over an umbrella or a pen, both of which seem to come and go through my life as if they had their own wills and purposes. This umbrella though, this one I shall not treat with such glib apathy. This one is mine; it's too fine a piece to simply shrug off if it were to become separated from me.

I spent a fair amount of time in German speaking countries earlier in my life (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) and fell in love with their word "Schirm", which is a shortening of their longer word for the umbrella: Regenschirm. It just means "shade", like Regenschirm means rain shade and Lampenschirm means lamp shade. Schirm is catchy and shorter than umbrella. "The weather is turning today. Don't leave without your schirm."

This is truly a dandy schirm.

It has a nice wooden cane crook handle with the Procella name embossed on one side. Above the handle is a faux jewel button to automatically open the canopy. It opens nicely and evenly, but not too abruptly so it won't splash you if it's already wet.

The size of the canopy is nice and large, but not overdone like a golf umbrella. It isn't so large that it needs to be vented, but use caution if it's windy out.

When folded, the size is still long like a nice walking cane, but the entire thing isn't too bulky.

This is my new favorite schirm, a dandy schirm indeed.

I should mention that I've used other Procella umbrellas before and that they have all been very high quality. I haven't had a single dud. I was provided this item for review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2015 1:13 AM PDT