Profile for Dave Edmiston > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 102

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Edmiston RSS Feed (So Cal)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
All Clad Textiles Reversible Fast-Drying Mat, 16 by 28-Inch, Pewter
All Clad Textiles Reversible Fast-Drying Mat, 16 by 28-Inch, Pewter
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of disappointed, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First of all, I assume we all have different styles for doing dishes. I'll tell you mine so that you can weigh my style against your own. If your style is largely different than mine, then you can take that into account as you evaluate my opinion.

I cook for myself, my wife, and our large teenage son. We have a nice sturdy dishwasher that handles most of the plates, silverware, drink-ware, etc. So the things that I wash by hand are either fragile, oversized, or just need to be hand washed (pots & pans). We have a two-sided sink with one side dedicated to washing and the other side dedicated to drying. We have a big dish drainer rack that we keep in their permanently and everything we wash by hand sits in there until the next day when it's dry and I put it away. Some people think that's gross to air-dry their dishes, but it hasn't killed us yet.

When I have BIG batches of dishes, I spread out a dish towel next to the drying side of the sink and I put stuff there temporarily while I wash, and then I dry them by hand and hang the towel when I'm done.

So that's my scenario. The role of this drying mat is to replace that auxiliary towel on the odd occasions when I need it.

In my case, it serves that purpose poorly.

First of all, the photo looks different to me than the actual product. The photo looks like some kind of soft micro fiber. It's not. It's kind of a nasty foam mat with a gray screened print on top and a woven mesh on the bottom. So yes, it serves to hold the items while they dry, but then what? What do you do with this thing when you're done? Do you drape it over the oven handle to dry? Nuh-uh. It's too ugly for that. Do you fold it up and store it in a drawer or under the sink? No way! I'm not a germ freak, but it needs to safely air-dry before I will put my clean dishes on it. There's no way I'll store it wet someplace and let it collect fungi before I use it again. I can't just leave it on the counter either, because (1) it's not attractive enough to leave out 24/7 and (2) it really won't dry that way anyway.

So my conclusion is that it really isn't that practical. The one thing for sure is that it is way less functional than the dish towel that I spread on the counter and toss in the hamper (or hang to dry) when I'm done.

Fail.

Lifesky Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Drink Bottle Thermos Travel Mug Cup with Handle 18-Ounce (Black)
Offered by Top Dream
Price: $38.99
2 used & new from $19.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Thermos and cup, April 22, 2015
At first I was surprised by the name, because I thought that Thermos was a trademark, but I was wrong. The word Thermos was declared to be a generic name back in 1963. Go figure.

That's probably not the info you were looking for though.

So about THIS thermos...

This thermos is awesome. It's tall and slender, which makes me feel skinnier, even though I'm not. Even better though, it has a very cute demitasse cup and even cuter trigger-activated spout mechanism.

I have the black model, which looks masculine enough for a guy like me but would still be attractive enough for females.

The steel wall of the canister did a superb job of keeping my coffee hot. I'm kind of a wimp about super hot coffee though, so I was glad that pouring it into the clear-walled demitasse it cooled down quickly so I could drink it. If I wanted it piping hot though, I could have drank it straight from the canister spout (like a barbarian!).

In the name of science, I also tested this with a cold beverage. I filled it with something more adult and took it with me to the local neighborhood pool. It performed well, but 18 ounces seemed to go by too quickly.

I like this thermos. Having tried it with both hot and cold beverages, I can attest that it performs well in both cases.

Watchup
Watchup
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever News Viewer, April 22, 2015
This review is from: Watchup (App)
I wasn't expecting much, but this app is a pleasant surprise.

First of all, it's super fast for a streaming app. The video clips load very quickly and the quality of the stream is good. Nice.

Secondly, you get to customize your videos. You pick the items you want to see, and that's what will queue up for you. For example, I really just want to see news headlines. Since I'm not that concerned about sports headlines, I de-selected that option.

Then once your customized videos are queued up, you can further personalize your stream by voting the items up or down. For example, if there's a particular news organization you don't like, vote that one down and it will eventually fall out of your queue. That's a great touch.

I live in Los Angeles county, so I picked the LA local news stream. The news items that it served up to me are very topical and relevant. Nice. Two of my kids live out of state, so I added their area too just for kicks. Their area is much more rural, so I didn't get as many clips, but it was still fun to be able to mention a couple of current events to them. (I try not to be such a stalker, but I miss my kids!)

Again, I had very low expectations for this app, but I was pleasantly surprised. Well done, Watchup.

Calvin Klein ETERNITY AQUA Eau de Parfum, 1 fl. oz.
Calvin Klein ETERNITY AQUA Eau de Parfum, 1 fl. oz.
Price: $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh cool fragrance, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love Calvin Klein ETERNITY Eau de Parfum, but I like this Eternity Aqua even better. Where Eternity is kind of a Fall/Winter fragrance, this Aqua variety is a cooler scent for spring and summer.

This is a subtle perfume, but a little bit goes a long way. Don't overdo it.

My wife smells fantastic with this perfume. It would be just as suitable for women younger or older than her. Some fragrances seem particularly "young" or "old", but this one seems to nicely bridge the generations. I like it.

Calvin Klein ETERNITY Eau de Parfum, 1 fl. oz.
Calvin Klein ETERNITY Eau de Parfum, 1 fl. oz.
Price: $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good clean scent, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Eternity has a nice clean and spicy scent. The spiciness has a slight holiday scent, which makes this seem like a more wintry perfume to me.

This is a subtle perfume, but a little bit goes a long way. Don't overdo it.

King Will 8mm Tungsten Ring Matte Brushed Center Grooved Beveled Polished Edge Men's Wedding Band
Offered by Brandline
Price: $147.99

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE ring!, April 22, 2015
You could give me a hundred guesses to come up with the price for this ring and I would NEVER guess "uh, about twenty bucks". My guess would have been off by at least $100.

This is by far the most comfortable and attractive ring I've ever worn. I wore a wedding band for more than 26 years until I electrocuted myself on a car battery and blew the ring off. It's been five months since the accident and my finger is still tender. I'm just grateful that I didn't lose the finger.

I'm obviously very sensitive about jewelry now though.

Two really big first impressions:

FIRST: It's gorgeous. It's really a handsome ring. The shape of the bevel and the brushed stripe in the center create three different surfaces that reflect the light in three different ways. The combination is very attractive and eye catching. Very nice.

SECONDLY: This ring is SO comfortable. Granted it isn't worth nearly blowing my finger off to get a new ring, but if I had known how much more comfortable this band is I would have changed wedding bands years ago. The edges are nicely sculpted to ensure they aren't sharp. The inside of the band is also convex enough to have kind of a roll to it and make a smooth surface inside the ring.

The packaging was very classy and impressive. I figured that something in this price range might have been packed in a plain white envelope, but it comes in a fine box that makes this an attractive gift.

This is the second King Will ring I've worn. I can attest that their high quality is consistent and dependable. Both rings have been very comfortable. I never used to take off my old gold wedding band because of the way it was shaped. I love the fact that the inside of these rings have a slight roll to them that makes them very easy to take off when you need to, but without being loose at all.

This ring looks fantastic and fits great. I won't tell anyone it was less than $20 if you don't!

On a serious note though, please learn from my dumb mistake and make sure you remove your jewelry before you wrench. I was doing a very simple maneuver that I've done many dozens of times before, but I got lazy and didn't remove my ring or my watch. Stupid hurts.

TrendyWorld Women's Tourmaline Engraved Stretch Bracelet Color Black
TrendyWorld Women's Tourmaline Engraved Stretch Bracelet Color Black
Offered by Honeystore
Price: $31.99
2 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle and classy, April 22, 2015
This is a very classy black bracelet. The design and shine work well for women of all ages. The stamped silver band is a nice design detail that creates an eye-catching accent. The beads have a nice clean shine that give it a black onyx appearance (I can't tell what they're actually made of).

This style clasp works well and is easy to adjust for larger and smaller wrists.

I was provided this item for review.

Honeystore Men's Titanium Steel Rolo Chain Cross Pendant Necklace Color Black Silver Length 19.6 inch
Offered by Honeystore
Price: $31.99
2 used & new from $26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Handsome Crucifix, April 22, 2015
This is a great looking crucifix. The black core shines like onyx and the outer accent (titanium?) shines nicely without being too gaudy. The chain is sturdy and attractive.

The pendant and chain seem unisex to me. I don't wear neck jewelry, but this looked almost as good on me as it does on my wife (things ALWAYS look better on my wife). For women wearers, consider adding this TrendyWorld Women's Tourmaline Engraved Stretch Bracelet to complete the set. The bracelet is subtle and classy.

I appreciate that this is so attractive without being too flashy. In my opinion the focus should be on the sacred symbol itself, not the person wearing it.

Jolly Rancher Hard Candy, Blue Raspberry Flavor, 88 Ounce
Jolly Rancher Hard Candy, Blue Raspberry Flavor, 88 Ounce
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Heisenberg, April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Jolly Rancher candies look just like Walter White's version of meth from Breaking Bad. Pretty funny.

Assuming you're like me and don't have room in your life for REAL meth, these are the next best things. These candies are delicious. This 5.5 pound bag is substantial. They're perfect for your candy dish at home or at work. The Heisenberg tie in makes them a fun conversation piece too.

Mirrotek Over The Door Combination Jewelry and Makeup Armoire, White
Mirrotek Over The Door Combination Jewelry and Makeup Armoire, White
Price: $135.50
2 used & new from $135.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, shoddy build, April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great hanging armoire. It has a good selection of hooks and fasteners for all sorts of jewelry: necklaces, earrings, etc.

Mine was a mess when it arrived though. The carton was intact, so the Brown truck evidently did their best to handle it with care. However, the inside mirror looked like it was attached with hot glue and it had come off in shipping and busted to smithereens. (I love that word smithereens. I'm glad I don't get to use it very often.) Yes, it was busted to smithereens. The debris also broke off one of the racks of pins for holding necklaces. I tacked it back on and it looks like it will hold OK.

This item isn't inexpensive, so it was disappointing to have things arrive in less than perfect shape. We can do without the mirror though and the rest I can fix myself.

One other minor complaint is the two wooden shelves. Those shelves rest on pegs, but there aren't any notches on the shelves to keep them from slipping off the pegs and dumping all the stuff off. This would be a real shame if they were full of anything breakable (more smithereens again).

A couple of pointers.

If you're thinking about putting this on a door you use a lot, don't. The action of swinging the door open and shut a lot will play havoc with the contents; plus it will mar the door when the hanging armoire slams against it.

I used sticky felt pads on the bottom two corners and at the top where the mounting screws protrude. These should help protect the door.

Before you load up the whole cabinet, look at the inside of the door, then the inside of the cabinet, close the door a little, look at them again, and really figure out how the door and the inside contents are going to mesh with each other. If you load up the door too fully, expect bad times when you close the door and everything bumps into the contents of the cabinet.

___________________________
EDIT:

My wife finally took out all of the shelves and plastic bins, because the items hanging from the inside of the door just wouldn't mesh with the layout of the items inside. It's like a medieval iron maiden torture device. It works a lot better after taking out the shelves. My wife bought a few packs of stick-on hanger hooks to hold more jewelry and mounted a large velvet ring holder tray kind of like this one to hold her rings. This has done a good job to accommodate her jewelry. I'm sorry this case didn't work as-built, but I'm glad she was able to modify it to meet her needs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20