Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Dave Edmiston > Reviews

Browse

Dave Edmiston's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1236
Top Reviewer Ranking: 163

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Edmiston RSS Feed (So Cal)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Traxxas 58034-1 Slash: 2WD Short Course Racing Truck, Ready-To-Race (1/10-Scale), Colors May Vary
Offered by JEGS
Price: $229.95
20 used & new from $229.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Our family LOVES this car, February 3, 2016
I got my son a cheaper car for Christmas and it broke immediately. I replaced it with this much nicer Traxxas Sash from a local hobby store. What a great buy. My whole family loves this car. It's such a great buy. It drives great and the battery lasts for a good long time. I picked up a couple of spare batteries too.

This is a nice large model car, 1/10 scale. It's big enough to be sturdy on uneven soil or grass. The chassis is very solid and the body fits well. The kit includes some small tools, a different set of gears, and even some spare cotter pins (nice!).

The battery charges up in about 90 minutes. This is one sore point for me. This kit comes with a 12v charger that you plug into your vehicle's cig outlet. The instructions say you shouldn't charge the battery inside your automobile or when your vehicle is moving. Could this be any more inconvenient? I got tired of this and bought the 110 converter kit so I could charge the battery in my house. I don't know why they chose to go with the 12v charger, but that problem is behind me now.

Link: Traxxas Ac To DC Adapter

Like I said, the car runs great. The large tires and big suspension gives it a good ride in the dirt or grassy park. When you're done driving it, clean everything real well. I wash the plastic body in my kitchen sink with warm soapy water. And although the chassis and parts are waterproof, I don't wash mine with water. I blow it out with my compressor to get all the dirt and grass out. Clean yours after every use and it will last a good long time.

I'm very happy with this car and I love how much my family enjoys taking it out. My wife took it to the park last night when she got home from work. Pretty cool.

UPDATE: My wife came home last week and the blue plastic tube that protects the antenna was gone. Yikes. I stopped by my local hobby shop and asked them if this was a big deal. They had replacement tubes, so that was easy, but they also told me that if we had bent the tip of the antenna wire it would have been destroyed and I would have had to replace the entire receiver (about $45). They also showed me something interesting: They said there's no real functional reason why the antenna has to stick up so high. They were working on a car similar to mine and showed me how easy it was to retract the antenna wire and just create some slack inside the car. Then I cut down the new antenna tube that I bought to about 2 3/4" so that it would fit entirely inside the car's body. Fantastic! Now the antenna isn't in jeopardy when I roll the car (WHEN, not IF), Plus it looks a lot better and it's easier to fit the body onto the car. I love it.

Hampton Bay 5-light Walnut Finish 1-tier Chandelier - Uses Five A-19 60-watt Bulbs (Sold Separately)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Fixture - Frustrating Install, February 1, 2016
We bought this as a replacement fixture for the basic chandelier that came with our home. I've installed plenty of light fixtures and ceiling fans, so I was expecting it to be a simple install. It wasn't so simple in this case.

First the good news about the fixture. It's really gorgeous. The fixture is well built. It looks attractive without being flimsy. Some fixtures look sturdy or look flimsy, but this one looks attractive and IS sturdy without drawing too much attention to that fact. The ornate pieces are well built and colored nicely. The glass cups are colored well. The fixture puts out a nice amount of light and really looks good in the room. I couldn't be happier with the way it looks.

Now I can whine about the install. We have a very high ceiling in our dining room. It reaches clear to the top of our two story home. Since the room already had a chandelier fixture installed with the wiring and chain exactly where we wanted it, I expected it to be pretty simple to disconnect the old fixture and connect the new one in its place. Not so fast! Disconnecting the old fixture went very quickly and I could do it from a step stool. But after reading the instructions and completely examining this new fixture, there isn't anyplace to access the wiring connection in this fixture. Everything is sealed inside and absolutely inaccessible to the customer. The only way to connect this is to string the wire up to the ceiling and wire the connections up there. This was a nightmare for me with my high ceiling. The chain and cord were too short and this fixture hangs higher than I would have liked it. Since it's sealed inside, there's no way for me to cut this cord and install a longer one. What a shame.

This fixture couldn't be more gorgeous and we couldn't be happier with it now that it's in place. The install was unnecessarily frustrating though. I would think twice before buying another fixture like this. It's a shame too, because I've had such great luck with every other Hampton Bay product I've installed.

Georgia-Pacific 54527 EasyNap Tabletop Napkin Dispenser
Georgia-Pacific 54527 EasyNap Tabletop Napkin Dispenser
Price: $1.94
16 used & new from $1.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Good commercial napkin dispenser, February 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although this is a commercial napkin dispenser, we got it to use in our RV. It's a good sturdy napkin dispenser.

First note that this dispenser doesn't include any napkins. It would have been nice if there had been a starter pack of napkins. Oh well.

Anyway, this dispenser uses EasyNap packets and holds up to 300 napkins depending on the refills you purchase. The dispenser is mostly attractive, but most suitable for a smaller QSR environment than a nicer restaurant.

One plus is that the sides are removable and you can add branding, merchandising cards, or seasonal messages. You can download templates to create your own designs. Unfortunately the downloadable templates are 5.6 x 4.5 rectangles instead of the actual arched dimensions of the dispenser, so your custom inserts will only fill part of the sides of the dispenser. That's not that big a deal, I guess.

All in all, this is a nice napkin dispenser. I wish the refills weren't specific to Georgia-Pacific though. I would prefer to pick up something at my local S&F, but they carry these at one of our nearby big box stores too.

If you're looking for something functional, this fits the bill. If you want something classier though...not so much.

Simpiz Genius 10000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack Power Bank with lightning port for Apple iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Note, LG, Moto, HTC, PS, Gopro, Android Windows Phones and Tablets
Offered by Woyaoyiqie
Price: $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Charger, January 29, 2016
This is a nice solid charger in a fairly small form factor. The indicator light shows the level of charge while you're charging it and while you're using it to charge your devices. These charger bricks have been around for awhile and are starting to become a commodity, but this charger has one unique feature in its favor: Inputs. Every other charger I own has USB output ports for charging devices and one micro-USB input port for charging the brick. This one has two input ports: micro-USB and Apple Lightning (labeled "iOS"). That's pretty cool, because it means you don't need to carry an extra charging cable if you are only charting Apple devices. That's actually pretty brilliant.

Lenox Butterfly Meadow Dish Initial E
Lenox Butterfly Meadow Dish Initial E
Offered by Lijo Decor
Price: $20.00
3 used & new from $12.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive Plate, January 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice small plate. I use mine as a trivet. I'm kind of a messy cook and one of my quirks is that I like to have a lot of trivets around my kitchen to rest spoons and ladles wherever I am. This is beautiful as a trivet.

The plate is small, about five inches across. It is thin but feels durable enough as long as I don't drop it.

The design is attractive and peaceful and the monogram is large enough to be recognizable without being too gaudy. It looks very nice.

Apple Watch Band, UMtech 42mm Unique Magnetic Lock Closure Clasp Mesh Loop Milanese Stainless Steel Bracelet Strap Band for Apple iWatch All Models (Milanese- Black- 42mm)
Offered by UMtech
Price: $19.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Classy, January 27, 2016
I love my Apple Watch (Sport), but I've never liked the band. I've tried a few other bands but haven't really found one that I'm in love with. Now I'm in love though. This band looks incredible and feels fantastic.

My two big complaints about the rubber sports band are that the rubber feels sticky when it's warm out and even worse is the pressure from the pin that fastens it. That pin drives right into my wrist when I rest my arm on a counter and when I'm typing (which is what I do most of the day at work). I guess my third complaint is that the rubber sport band isn't that easy to put on in the morning. And oh yeah, it's ugly. So that's five complaints about the stock band.

This Milanese Loop band solves every one of those complaints:

* It's comfortable and cool.
* No more pin poking in my wrist. The magnetic fastener is flat and doesn't make any pressure. And I can even temporarily adjust it tighter or looser to move the magnet.
* It's simple to put on. Just slip the whole thing over your rest and tug the end as tight as you want before you let the magnet do its thing.
* It looks incredibly classy. I wear this as my every-day watch band, but it's fine for dressier occasions too. I used to have to change my band if I were dressing formally, but this band looks great as a dress watch.

The package didn't include any instructions and I was a little too dim to figure out which way it should go, but I looked at the product photo here and it was pretty easy after that. Also included in the package was a free plastic case to cover the watch itself. I don't prefer face covers for the Apple Watch, but I thought was a nice gesture from the vendor.

I'm very happy with this band.

I was provided this item for review.

LifeLink - Apple Certified Ultra-Portable Cable | Fits just like a credit card - but charges like your normal cable | WHITE
Offered by Plusus
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy dandy charger, January 26, 2016
This charger is ingenious. It's a thin cable wire wrapped in a flat plastic case that splits in two. The whole thing is about the size of a good old fashioned stick of gum (an image which is distinctly at odds with such a futuristic charger).

The USB end of the charger is thin and doesn't look like a typical USB connector. You really only need the half with the metallic connectors, so it works just fine. The Lightning end of the cable looks just like any other Apple cable.

This is thin, yet heavy duty. You can keep it in your laptop bag, your wallet, or attach it to your keychain. It couldn't be more convenient. I just love this thing.

I was provided this item for review.

LifeStar - Apple Certified Handcrafted Designer Cable [LIFETIME REPLACEMENT WARRANTY]  Australian Original Design | Leather PU Collection - Fuzzy Mocha | 40"/1m
Offered by Plusus
Price: $32.95

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife's new favorite cable, January 26, 2016
My wife has a charming habit of stealing iPhone/iPad cables from the rest of us. Fine. She's the woman of my dreams, so I can deal with the constant revolving selection of missing cables from my life. But since this one came in and she swiped it from me, the rest of my cables seem to be out of jeopardy. She told me outright that she plans to quit stealing my cables anymore because she loves this one so much.

This cable appears to be high quality and the appearance is incredible. This cable is very stylish and looks great in the interior of my wife's car.

And it charges devices like it's supposed to.

This cable is a little spendy, but prices of items like this one seem to rise and fall. Try to catch it when it's on sale. Regardless though, the quality is there and they offer a lifetime guarantee. That's hard to argue with.

I was provided this item for review.

Portable Precision Ceramic Tweezer Ceramic Coated Tweezers with Replaceable Non-conductive Heat Resistant Head Peak to High Temperature (Black pointed)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good precision tweezers, January 26, 2016
These are great precision tweezers. The fine point tips are good for working with small pieces or even removing splinters or hairs. They aren't cosmetic tweezers though. The tips are pointed and smooth unlike cosmetic tweezers with wider blade tips and grooves on the insides for gripping hairs.

The packaging says "Switzerland", but awkward language on the packaging seems similar to the broken English from Asian countries (a.k.a. "Engrish"). My point isn't to make fun of the grammar but to point out that I doubt these are Swiss made.

Milk & Co. Lindy Klim Natural Rejuvenating Masque, 3 Fluid Ounce
Milk & Co. Lindy Klim Natural Rejuvenating Masque, 3 Fluid Ounce

3.0 out of 5 stars My wife says "meh", January 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife is usually pretty enthusiastic about products like this one, but for whatever reason this rejuvenating masque hasn't moved the needle for her whatsoever. I tried to pin her down on details, but failed. Fragrance? Texture? Effect? Nothing.

Finally I realized that all the other products that she's been so happy with have had enough of an effect that they're worth the time & effort to apply them and eventually the cost to replenish them.

The bottom line is, my wife didn't throw this in the trash or run screaming in pain when she applied this product (which would have earned it a 1-star review), but she hasn't used it more than once or twice either, which rules out a 3- or 4-star review.

Meh.