Profile for Dave Edmiston > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 101

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Edmiston RSS Feed (So Cal)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jerdon JP2027N 8-Inch Two-Sided Swivel Wall Mount Mirror with 7x Magnification, 23-Inch Extension, Nickel Finish
Price: $36.61
16 used & new from $24.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice mirror. Cheap hardware., October 21, 2014
This mirror is really nice. It looks great in our bathroom and my wife loves it. I was very frustrated with the hardware though. When you extend and retract the arm, the extension arms slide up and down on the rods on either end. This works OK for the most part, but the plastic glide inserts don't fit well in the extension arms, so they don't slide up and down the rods--they just stick in one spot and never really move. That's a shame. I'd expect better hardware on a $40 mirror.

One tip for you. Before you purchase this mirror, make sure you have the right surface to attach it to in your bathroom. You'll need to drill into your wall to attach the anchor screws. Make sure your wall surface isn't tile or mirror or anything that you can't drill into. If you're drilling into drywall, make sure you have good anchor screws to support the mirror.

Magnum Lace-in 8 Eyelet Boot Zippers Black
Magnum Lace-in 8 Eyelet Boot Zippers Black
Offered by Military_1st
Price: $23.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very stiff zippers, October 21, 2014
These zippers are great for larger boots, but they were a little too long for my motorcycle boots. My boots come up about two inches past my ankles, but these zippers are too long. I didn't really pay attention to the "8 Eyelet" part of the product name, but in retrospect it shouldn't be a surprise that they don't fit my boots since my boots only have 5 eyelets. Duh. My mistake.

I used these for a few days though and they seemed very sturdy and well built. The zippers were very stiff though. On one of them I could barely zip it up, which defeats the purpose of a quick-secure system like this.

One other thing worth mentioning is that these shipped from the vendor in England to my home in L.A. and I received them VERY QUICKLY. Despite the fact that they really didn't work out for me, I have to give the vendor high marks for quick and reliable service.

LiViTech(TM) Modern Art Flower Design Series 360 Degree Rotating PU Leather Case Cover for Apple iPad Air, iPad Mini with Retina and iPad 2 3 4 (iPad Air, Green)
Offered by Tenmile
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife absolutely loves it, October 21, 2014
My wife takes her iPad with her everywhere. She's pretty rough on that poor tablet, so she needs a case that's rugged enough to protect the device but still stylish enough to look good. This case is the perfect blend of functionality and attractive design. The colors are gorgeous on the outside and the soft gray fabric on the inside is very handsome and nicely protects the screen.

This cover allows the iPad to rotate to portrait or landscape orientations and can stand up in either direction. The magnetic cover also turns the iPad on and off (usually!). Sometimes I'll get up in the middle of the night and see her iPad glowing on the nightstand, so I don't think the cover automatically turns off the iPad every single time, but close enough.

Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM32SA1/B)
Sony 32GB Microvault USB Flash Drive for Smartphone (USM32SA1/B)
Price: $24.80
24 used & new from $17.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect USB drive, October 21, 2014
This is the perfect little drive to keep in your pocket. I use this thing all the time. The design is pure genius. They actually built the storage into the male end of the USB plug. You know how you have a 50/50 chance of plugging a USB device upside down (except you get it wrong more like 90% of the time)? Well the storage part of this drive is built into the part of the USB plug that would normally prevent you from plugging a USB plug in backwards. Looking at the product picture, it's the part of the plug that's stamped "32 GB". That's pretty clever to put the memory in that part of the plug to shorten the overall girth of the drive.

Then if you need a micro USB male connector instead, just take off the end cap, turn the gizmo around, and plug it into your female micro USB device, like a smartphone or a tablet.

Deluxe Pants & Shelf Hanger | Clothing Rack | Closet Organizer
Deluxe Pants & Shelf Hanger | Clothing Rack | Closet Organizer
Offered by PRINCEHANGER
Price: $139.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to build. Works great., October 21, 2014
My daughters put this together in one of the rooms in their house that doesn't have any functional closet. It was simple to put together. The instructions were good and the fit of the parts was just fine. I was happy to see how well it turned out for them. My only recommendation (for other shoppers, not for my daughters because they'd be mad at my picky criticism) is that you use a level before you tighten the horizontal rods. If you don't have a good level, at least use a tape measure and try to get them into the same position on each of the poles so they're somewhat level.

The finished product looks great and is extremely functional.

Gluten-Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Baking Revolution Continues with 90 New, Delicious and Easy Recipes Made with Gluten-Free Flours
by Jeff Hertzberg
Price: $18.96
32 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit from the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes Team, October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been a huge fan of the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day series since I tried their first book in January of 2011. Although I'm just an average dad who kind of bumbles through the kitchen, I'm willing to try new things and these recipes have literally changed my life. I've become somewhat famous in my neighborhood for teaching a bunch of other dads how to bake. My office loves me when I bring in fresh bread. Although I had never baked before (because my wife is an incredible baker), I have fallen in love with baking artisan bread.

This Gluten Free book is a great new spin on their series of recipes. This book acknowledges that there is a large number of people with celiac disease, wheat allergies, and wheat sensitivities. They have done an incredible job of tailoring their recipes to help those who want to enjoy fantastic breads without suffering the ill-effects they experience from gluten.

The new Master Recipe consists of:

* Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
* Yeast
* Kosher Salt
* Sugar (optional)
* Water

It's that simple. Keep in mind though that removing gluten from the recipe impacts the rise of the loaves and the crispiness of the crust. Adding a little sugar to the dough helps with the crust. They also explain the techniques for improving the rise. (Just to illustrate the point, their Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients featured many grains that lacked sufficient gluten for a good rise, so many of those recipes actually called for added gluten.)

Even with the modified Master Recipe, baking incredible loaves couldn't be simpler. You mix the yeast, salt, water, and gluten-free flour in a big tub and put it in the fridge to rise and chill overnight. Then the next day you can start baking. Bake however much you want, and then leave the rest of the dough covered in the tub for up to two weeks. You never have to kneed or punch the dough. And besides the initial rise, you only need to let the formed loaves rest and un-chill for about half an hour before you bake them.

I can prepare a double batch of dough in about ten minutes. I store all my ingredients in plastic storage containers out in the garage, so I just grab what I need and bring it into the kitchen. Making a double batch of dough gives me plenty to make loaves for my family and to bring some in to share at work.

I rarely make the dough and bake it on the same day, because the dough is sticker and harder to work with at first. Although you CAN form and bake the loaves after the initial three hour rise, it's a lot simpler to let the dough chill overnight before you try to bake with it.

The results are amazingly beautiful, delicious, healthy, and cheap loaves of bread.

What do you need to get started? Not much really, but I found that some extra accessories like a baking stone, pizza peel, and parchment paper really make things go better for me. I've put together a list of items in this collection:

Keep it cheap!

The best way to keep the price down is to buy the staple items at a big store like Smart & Final. Individual yeast packets at the grocery store are probably the most expensive ingredient (about a buck per packet). It's a lot cheaper to buy a pound of yeast for under $4 at Smart & Final. Same goes for the flour: buy big bags of flour at Smart & Final to save money.

I am obviously a huge fan of this technique and these recipes. I've personally coaxed dozens of my friends to buy the first edition and try baking for themselves. I've also given many copies of the first edition as gifts to friends. It's been a blast to see regular guys like me learn to bake amazing breads for our families. A bunch of us even got together and had a huge "Dad's Bake Sale" to raise money for one of our kids' sports teams. It was a huge success.

You can see photos of some of my finished loaves in my review of one of the earlier editions: http://www.amazon.com/review/R310O1MND9UVUZ

Give it a try and have fun with it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 10:19 PM PDT

Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Price: $49.99
4 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for office potlucks, October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a good stove at home and a good BBQ grill on the patio, so I don't really need this as my primary grill. But I do have a number of recurring events where a portable grill is super handy, like office potlucks and other social gatherings. This grill is perfect for events like that, as long as you have access to a power outlet. (Make sure and have an extension cord though, because the stock power cord isn't very long.)

This grill is great. It sets up easily and is easy to clean up and put away. The size is perfect for portability.

As far as cooking goes, this cooks meats and appetizers well. I like the way the angled cooktop drains the fatty greases away from the meat so that it actually grills instead of boiling in its own juices.

Denon HEOS 7 Wireless Speaker
Denon HEOS 7 Wireless Speaker
Price: $599.00
10 used & new from $599.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Sound, October 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The sound quality from this speaker is absolutely incredible. This is a great way to stream music from your iPhone into a large room.

The concept behind networking a series of these speakers throughout your home is absolutely brilliant, but too rich for my blood.

The bad news though is the app. The app is horrible and it looks like it's been bad since its initial release.

Also beware that the only use case for this is in your network through your router's Wi-Fi. If you don't have good Wi-Fi coverage in the spot where you plan to place the speaker then it's completely unusable.

Belkin HDMI to HDMI Cable for FireTV and other HDMI-Enabled Devices (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters)
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy HDMI cable, September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable cables for a few years now. They're great cables and they cost about half the price of this Belkin cable, but they are about half as sturdy too. This cable is thicker and the ends feel a little more robust.

I love buying less expensive cables like these. Nothing is more frustrating than being overcharged for a cable at a retail store. This Belkin cable is a great high-quality low-cost alternative to the overpriced cables at the local stores.

Avery Self-Laminating ID Labels, Handwrite, 0.66 x 3.375 Inches, Assorted Colors, Pack of 24 (00748)
Price: $11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and high price, September 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love Avery products and have depended on their quality over the years. These labels are no different; they meet Avery's typical high quality standards. They are easy to write on and the writing won't rub off. They're pretty expensive though. If you have a crucial project where you're willing to spend a few extra dollars, then these are worth it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20