Profile for Ed > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 95

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ed RSS Feed (San Francisco Bay Area)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones for iOS Models, Blue
Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones for iOS Models, Blue
Price: $149.95
9 used & new from $149.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality for your workout, October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Bose SoundSport in-ear headphone has the best sound quality of any sport headphone I've ever tried (Monster, Yurbud, Motorola, and Audio-Technica). It also stays in my ears and is comfortable to use for the duration of my workout.

PROS:

- Very good sound quality
- Able to hear noise around you
- Water-resistant design
- Inline remote and mic
- Comes with a case

CONS:

- Cable gets twisted easily at the "V"
- Case isn't high quality

Bose audio products have a solid reputation and though I dismissed them years ago when I was in an extreme hi-fi phase, I've come to appreciate their products more, now that I've embraced good sound *and* simplicity. The SoundSport is another Bose product I'm impressed with and it starts with its sound quality.

The sound quality of the SoundSport is very good. The sound is well balanced overall, though, not quite as accurate as some high end headphones. But I can't knock the SoundSport for that since it's engineered for active use, not critical listening. The low end is surprisingly good, considering the SoundSport doesn't create much of a seal in your ears. This allows outside noise to be heard, which is an important safety feature for outdoor use. I was able to hear most cars (except for those damn, whisper-quiet electrics) driving up behind or beside me before I could see them. The SoundSport is easily the best sounding sport headphone I've ever used.

The StayHear ear tips work well at keeping the speakers in your ears during your workout without it being uncomfortable. The Audio-Technica headphones were my favorite sport headphones for comfort, but the Bose SoundSport is even better. The SoundSport is also sweat and "weather-resistant." It's a little vague, but I imagine light rain and sweat during a workout should be safe. I don't know if it'd survive going through a washing machine, though. I did that to the Audio-Technica by accident, twice, and still worked afterwards.

The SoundSport comes in an iOS version and a Samsung Galaxy version. I assume the Galaxy version's inline remote works with all Android devices and not just Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets. I tested the iOS version's inline remote on an iPhone 6 and it worked great. I did find that the cable would twist up slightly where the left and right speaker cables meet. I thought it was a little bit of a nuisance, but maybe nobody else will care. And though I appreciate that Bose included a case, I expected something a little better made. Still, it is better than nothing. I also want to mention that I'm not a fan of bright colors for my in-ear headphones, except when it comes to sport headphones. The blue SoundSport, and probably the green and orange, is easy to find inside a gym bag.

At about $150, the Bose SoundSport is at the upper end of the range for sport headphones. The Audio-Technica sport headphone, which were my favorites before I tried the Bose, is three times cheaper than the SoundSport. The A-T is a great value, if that's your motivating factor. I personally enjoy the sound of the SoundSport more and I'm almost always going to choose better sound over value. But that's just me.

Diztronic Voyeur Case for Apple iPhone 6 (Full Matte Black) - Retail Packaging
Diztronic Voyeur Case for Apple iPhone 6 (Full Matte Black) - Retail Packaging
Offered by Diztronic
Price: $12.95
2 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Voyeur case has good protection, good grip, no bulk, and is very affordable., October 7, 2014
The Voyeur TPU case by Diztronic does three things that I really like:

1. Protects my iPhone 6 without adding a lot of bulk
2. Provides a better grip than a naked iPhone 6
3. Makes the overall shape look more like an iPhone 5/5s

The first thing I wanted out of my case was reasonable protection without a ton of bulk. I wasn't looking for something that'd survive a 10-foot drop. I felt that the reinforced corners would protect my iPhone 6 from a shorter drops, like off my desk or out of my pocket. The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is already much bigger than I'm used to with the iPhone 5s, so I wanted to make sure to keep the bulk down too. And the Diztronic Voyeur is about as bulk-free as you can get in a case and still get *some* drop protection.

Some people can hold onto their gadgets without any help, but the iPhone 6 is too slippery for me. No matter how great it might look without a case, I can't afford to break it and buy a new one, so I needed a case to help me grip it better. The Diztronic TPU case has a matte finish and offers a better grip than a nude iPhone 6. Glossy TPU cases tend to have a better grip. but they get greasy and grimy really fast.

I like the bigger screen of the iPhone 6, but am not a big fan of the new curved shape. I much prefer the shape of the iPhone 5/5s. The Diztronic Voyeur's shape reminds me of the old iPhone 5/5s, which I really like. The window in the back is nice if you like showing off that you have an iPhone (not me), but I personally wish there was an identical version without the window. Remember to peel the protective plastic from both the inside and outside of the case or else it won't look very good.

Other things I want to mention:
- Buttons are covered, but aren't hard to use.
- Bottom of the case isn't completely open, like in one of the diagrams. It has precise cutouts.
- The four corners of the back have tiny ridges so when you lay it down flat on its back, the window doesn't actually touch the surface.
- The case is just thick enough to level out the protruding camera lens so you don't get a wobble.

I've purchased Diztronic cases for two of my other phones and I've been happy with them all. This one works really well for the iPhone 6 (4.7"). I do wish there was a window-less option, but I'll probably just find some black masking tape and take care of it myself.

Tachikara TP20 Dual-Action Inflation Pump
Tachikara TP20 Dual-Action Inflation Pump
Price: $12.15
7 used & new from $7.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little pump with smart needle storage, October 1, 2014
This is a great ball pump for the money. I already had a similar Nike one that my family uses, but thought it'd be nice to leave one at home and one in the car. The Tachikara seems pretty well built and it comes with one needle. It's conveniently housed in the handle, underneath a rubber cap. On my Nike pump, I just leave the needle attached so I won't lose it, but the needle storage on the Tachikara is pretty smart. The manufacturer must've gotten a lot of complaints about the missing needle, because mine came with a sticker attached to the top of the handle that read, "Remove sticker and cap for needle." There you go.

By the way, ignore the Amazon image with the T-handle and what looks like an air pressure gauge. What you get is the pump with the inline handle, a short extension, and the needle.

Kokuyo Will Stationery Actic Mini Pencil Case - Blue
Kokuyo Will Stationery Actic Mini Pencil Case - Blue
Offered by JAPAN-SUBCULTURE
Price: $9.99
48 used & new from $5.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, but keep in mind that it's short, September 29, 2014
I tend to switch bags a lot, but like having my good writing instruments with me. I got tired of stocking every bag with nice pens and pencils or moving them whenever I switched bags. I was using a zippered polyester tool bag that worked fine, but didn't really look nice so I bought the Kokuyo.

The Kokuyo is molded to protect the contents. You can also stand the case up on one side to double as a holder while you're working/writing/drawing. It's big enough to hold a few pens or pencils, but I didn't expect it to be so short. None of my wood-cased pencils fit in the case; they're way too long for it. My mechanical pencils and gel pens fit without a problem. It's my fault for not having paid attention to the measurements, but I wanted to draw attention to it so you won't make the same careless mistake I made. There's a reason why this case is called a "mini" case. I still use the Kokuyo case, but it's not as useful to me as I'd initially hoped.

BISSELL BOLT XRT PET 2-in-1 Lightweight Cordless Vacuum, 14.4v, 1315
BISSELL BOLT XRT PET 2-in-1 Lightweight Cordless Vacuum, 14.4v, 1315
Price: $119.43
2 used & new from $109.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, though, expensive for a non-Lithium Ion cordless, September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Bissell Bolt did a much better job of picking up debris from my carpet and rugs than I expected. I was especially happy with how easy it was to use in my kitchen. My kids are always dropping cereal and other food/snack bits and the Bolt sucked those up without any problems. The head swivels all over the place, so it takes a little getting used to. The Bolt has two power settings but I don't know when you'd want to use the lower one since it's already somewhat underpowered. It's kind of a pain to charge without the dock because the Bolt doesn't stand up on its own very well. Emptying the dust cup and using it as a hand vac is pretty easy. The biggest problem I have with the Bolt is that it uses a nickel metal hydride battery. Bissell's more expensive versions use Lithium ion batteries, which is a much better battery and is probably why the warranty on those are twice as long. Still, the Bolt isn't an inexpensive vacuum for what it does and I don't think the NiMH battery was the right decision.

The Bolt is a decent stick vac that doubles as a hand vac, but I'd opt for one of the Lithium ion models.

Microsoft Arc Touch Bluetooth Mouse
Microsoft Arc Touch Bluetooth Mouse
Price: $52.77
6 used & new from $52.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, but build quality seems poor, September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse is nearly identical to the regular Arc Touch mouse, which I also have. I've had the non-Bluetooth Arc for several years and while not my favorite mouse to use for long periods of time, I've liked it a lot for its versatility and convenience.

The best part of the Arc mouse is that it folds flat for easy storage and travel. For some people, it may not be very comfortable to hold. I've gotten used to it, but it's still not comfortable enough to use 100% of the time. The worst part of it for me is that it lacks a back button. The touch scroll wheel is cool and works well enough.

The Bluetooth version is easy to pair and I had no problems getting it connected to my Lenovo Windows 8 laptop. It worked well and I had no problems. My biggest concern about this specific mouse is its build quality. The build quality on the older Arc Touch mouse was fantastic. On the Bluetooth version I received, I noticed that the rubber cover on the lower section that folds isn't glued on perfectly. I can see air bubbles underneath the cover. Also, on the underside, pressing the ridges makes the plastic creak. Neither of these issues exist with the regular Arc Touch mouse.

The convenience of the Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse makes it worth trying, but I'd check it carefully for flaws right away. It's an expensive mobile mouse that shouldn't have these build quality issues.

George Foreman GRP1060B 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill, Black
George Foreman GRP1060B 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill, Black
Offered by ToysOnline (cannot ship to APO/FPO/DPO, PO boxes, HI or AK)
Price: $56.62
6 used & new from $29.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the first genuine Foreman grill I've tried, though, I've used knock-offs before. The knock-off we had worked fine, but when the nonstick coating on the plates began to flake we promptly disposed of it.

Cooking with this grill is convenient and easy. We grilled up some burgers right away and were happy with the results, though, obviously not as tasty as an outdoor charcoal grill. The cord, which you can wrap up in a cord wrap when not in use, is really short, which makes positioning it on your counter a challenge if you don't have the perfect spot with an outlet. Also, the grease catcher doesn't physically attach to the grill so it's easy to knock out of place while you're grilling. When you're done, it's easy to clean because of the nonstick coating and removable plates. I hand wash it with warm water and dish soap, then dry them off right away.

The Foreman grill isn't exactly a high-end cooking appliance, but that's part of the beauty--it's cheap, easy, and effective.

iPhone 6 Screen Protector, Tech Armor Apple iPhone 6 (4.7 inch ONLY) High Defintion (HD) Clear Screen Protectors -- Maximum Clarity and Touchscreen Accuracy [3Pack] Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $6.95
4 used & new from $3.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small for your iPhone 6, September 23, 2014
I have used Tech Armor screen protectors on several devices over the years and have never been disappointed until now. The kit itself is OK. It comes with 3 screen protectors, a bubble card, dust removal stickers, and a microfiber cloth. The big problem is that the screen protectors are too small.

It appears that several manufacturers made the same mistake for the iPhone 6. I tried another brand first and that one was too small as well. They apologized for the error and claimed that they'd have the correctly-sized screen protectors in about a month and offered to send it at that time or just provide a refund. I took the refund and ordered the Tech Armor, but as it turns out, for no good reason.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 10:25 PM PDT

OXO Good Grips 6-1/2-Inch Santoku Knife
OXO Good Grips 6-1/2-Inch Santoku Knife
Price: $14.43
2 used & new from $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good knife, but not that impressed., September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The OXO Santoku Knife is a good knife, but I wouldn't call it must-have. It came nice and sharp and it cut through vegetables perfectly fine, but I honestly didn't notice an improvement over the chef's knife we normally use. In fact, the blade felt thinner and less balanced through the handle. Still, it worked well for what I used it for and I don't think it's a bad buy. I've wanted to try a Santoku knife for years and this one was kind of a letdown. I've had a Victorinox in my wishlist and will probably give that a go at some point, but until then, the OXO should come in handy.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly poor for an Anker product, September 19, 2014
I normally use another brand of screen protector for all my devices. When I saw that Anker made one for the iPhone 6, I was pretty excited. I have a few of Anker's other products and have been generally happy with them, so I was looking forward to using the screen protector--big mistake.

The package comes with three screen protectors, which is pretty standard these days. It also comes with a "micro-fiber" cloth, but all that cloth did was put more lint on my screen. Fortunately, it also came with a dust-removal strip, but just one. Even though there are three screen protectors, there's only one dust-removal strip, so you'll have to be careful when you use it the first time if you want to use it again later. If these things weren't bad enough, the biggest issue I had with the set was with the screen protector itself.

The quality of the screen protector is fine and very similar to pretty much everything else out there. The difference is that it's too small. It doesn't get close enough to the edge, vertically or horizontally. There are some cases that fit so tightly around the edges that they have a tendency to lift screen protectors. BUT, the Anker over-compensated. It looks terrible, and worse, there's a lot of the display that's not protected. Lesson learned.

I don't recommend the Anker screen protector for your iPhone 6.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20