Profile for Ed > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 97

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ed RSS Feed (San Francisco Bay Area)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vanguard Alta Plus 263AP 3-Section Aluminum Tripod with 3-way Magnesium Alloy Photo Panhead
Price: $129.99
9 used & new from $129.44

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but doesn't seem to age all that well, August 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I began using this tripod with my Canon DSLR a few years back and was pretty happy with it. Over time, however, the foam grips have cracked and the release for the camera plate is now trickier to use.

I primarily shoot with mirrorless cameras now and use a Joby Gorillapod hybrid most of the time. Still, I bring out the Alta+ 263AP every now and then, especially for long telephoto shots. I was thankful to have it for the supermoon/blood moon shots.

Dragonwing girlgear Girl's Racer Seamless Sports Bra
Dragonwing girlgear Girl's Racer Seamless Sports Bra
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Approved by my very active niece, August 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My niece is very active and plays a lot of team sports (soccer, basketball, swim, and softball). She recently began wearing sports bras as a convenient way to change uniforms/clothing while on the field or court. She didn't have any complaints about the sports bras she normally wears, but did like the design and pattern of the Dragonwing. She also mentioned that it felt comfortable and that it was a little longer than her other sports bras.

URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for Samsung Galaxy S5, Ice
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for Samsung Galaxy S5, Ice
Price: $30.22
15 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great case I didn't want to like, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It might sound strange, but I was totally prepared to pan the heck out of this case. I'm a big fan of Speck cases and to a lesser extent, Incipio cases. I'd seen the Urban Armor cases online before and thought they looked cool, but assumed were cheap cases that were made to mimic military/industrial-looking gear. I was only partially right.

The Urban Armor Gear case does have an industrial and military-like appearance. It's made out of plastic and rubber materials that feel substantial and rugged. The faux rivets on the back is just for aesthetics, but it works if you're into that kind of thing. All the port cutouts are precise and all the buttons are covered for extra protection. The buttons also work very well while in the case, which can't be said of all cases. The Galaxy S5 is already waterproof, so the Urban Armor Gear simply adds drop and scratch protection to military standards (MIL STD 810G 516.6).

The case has enough grippy rubber texture around the sides to make it easier to hold. I got the Ice version, which is a clear polycarbonate, and it looks pretty nice. It came with a screen protector but I already had one on the GS5 so I didn't bother with it. It looks like any other PET screen protector and I'm sure it's fine and is a nice included add-on.

The Urban Armor Gear case isn't cheap, but it does provide a little more value than some of their competitors. I still like Speck and Incipio as my primary go-to cases, but the Urban Armor Gear has impressed me quite a bit.

OXO Good Grips Butter Dish, Stainless Steel/Clear
OXO Good Grips Butter Dish, Stainless Steel/Clear
Price: $17.64
2 used & new from $17.64

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice stainless steel butter dish, but I prefer the OXO plastic version, August 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The stainless steel version of the OXO butter dish is almost identical to the OXO plastic version, except for the tablespoon markings. The tablespoon markings on the plastic version is one of the features I really like about it. I admit that the stainless steel version looks nicer, but it's almost twice the price of the plastic version and I think the plastic version is more practical. They both look good, in my opinion, and they're both good at storing butter and making it easy to cut off slices of butter. The rubber base keeps the dish in place when you're cutting butter on your counter/table. Also, if you're like us and keep the butter dish on the inside of your refrigerator door, it won't slide around every time you open and close it. I should also mention that the lid doesn't snap shut and isn't air tight. The lid simply rests on top of the dish.

If you have to have stainless steel, the OXO is really nice, but I personally prefer their plastic version.

Playmobil Rescue Ladder Unit
Playmobil Rescue Ladder Unit
Price: $29.55
29 used & new from $19.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Seems expensive for what you get, August 15, 2014
This review is from: Playmobil Rescue Ladder Unit (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't play with Playmobil toys growing up and wasn't familiar with them until recently. I thought my kids would enjoy this firetruck and the little firemen and incorporate it into their daily pretend play. The truck itself is well made and looks like it can take a beating. The ladder comes off easily if it's raised too high and is hard to put back on for a small child. The roof of the truck can be also be removed to place the fire extinguisher and the firemen inside, however, it's much too hard for a small child to remove and put back on. They'll more than likely try to put them inside through the tiny window. I'd hoped that the doors would open at least, but no such luck. There are no compartments or doors on the truck that open. The siren and lights are cool and not too annoying. The two little firemen come with helmets and one megaphone that attaches easily to their hands.

The Playmobil Rescue Ladder unit isn't that great in my opinion. It's expensive for what it does and the ladder might cause your kid to get frustrated enough to stop playing with it altogether.

OXO Good Grips Interlocking Corn Holders, Yellow/Green
OXO Good Grips Interlocking Corn Holders, Yellow/Green
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Try these if you eat a lot of corn on the cob, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My family and I enjoy corn on the cob, but they're a bit hard to eat for my small children. They're also messy, even for the adults! I normally break the corn in halves for my kids. Putting the OXO corn holders on them makes it so they don't have to worry about burning their fingers, dropping the corn, or creating a mess on their hands (their faces are a whole another story).

The pins on the corn holders fit into each other and snap in nicely for secure storage, which is good because the pins are very sharp! I washed them right out of the package and while I was drying them, I accidentally stabbed my finger with one of them. It totally broke skin and my finger was sore for three days, so be very very careful when handling these.

OXO Good Grips Butter Dish, White/Clear
OXO Good Grips Butter Dish, White/Clear
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart design features and better than my old Rubbermaid, August 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To be quite honest, I never really gave our butter dish much thought. We'd been using a plastic Rubbermaid dish for years and never really had the urge to replace it, even though it wasn't all that great. It was always too small and cutting was tedious. The lid often got messy from the sticks of butter hitting the sides or the top. When I opened the shipping box and looked at the OXO butter dish, I knew immediately that it was a significantly better dish.

The OXO's lid is tall and wide enough to accommodate sticks of butter without it rubbing against the lid. The little stoppers on the ends are helpful when you want to make a cut and the rubber base helps to secure it in place. One of the smartest features of the OXO butter dish are the tablespoon markings. We'd sometimes leave the butter wrapper on the stick so we could use the tablespoon markings on it, but having the markings on the tray is much better. I should also mention that the lid doesn't snap securely in place; it simply rests on top of the tray.

I appreciate the small details of the OXO butter dish and it looks nice enough to bring out for company. I'm very happy with it. It's arguably better than the more expensive stainless steel version from OXO, because that one doesn't have the tablespoon markings.

OXO Good Grips Microfiber Delicate Duster
OXO Good Grips Microfiber Delicate Duster
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best small duster I've tried yet. So long, Swiffer!, August 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tried other microfiber dusters before because I generally prefer things I can reuse. We use cloth napkins in my household and I clean my kitchen floor with a pair of microfiber pads that I wash after use. For one reason or another, I haven't been able to find a duster I liked. Left with no other choice, I've been using Swiffer dusters.

The OXO microfiber duster is actually really nice and much better than the others I've tried. The key is the duster itself. It picks up dust well and traps it there until I'm done. I use the delicate duster for about 80% of what I normally need to dust. I use it around my home entertainment center, computer, desks, bookshelves, lamps, etc.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the OXO duster, except maybe that the duster refill is only a couple bucks cheaper than the whole thing. I'll probably pick up another whole duster so I can keep one on each floor of my home and pick up a refill or two so I always have a clean one on hand.

Mead Composition Book, Wide Ruled, 9.75 x 7.50 Inch Sheet Size, Black Marble, Bookbound, 100 Sheets (09910)
Offered by Success Deals
Price: $5.30
60 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent composition book on the cheap, but I prefer the Top Flight book, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I compared the Mead composition book with one from Top Flight and found both to be just OK. The Mead's binding seems a little more sturdy, but the Top Flight's cover is nicer. The Mead cover is so stiff that it's hard to flip through the pages. The back cover of the Mead includes grammar rules, which I think are more useful than the all the extra conversion tables in the Top Flight book. The paper sheets for both brands are low quality, but sufficient for general purpose use. The ink in the Mead is a bolder blue color than the Top Flight's. Lastly, both books are made in Vietnam and comparably priced.

Between the two composition books, I personally prefer the Top Flight, mainly because I like its cover better.

BLACK+DECKER BDH1620FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Vacuum with Stick Vacuum Floor Head, 16-volt
Price: $89.99
3 used & new from $80.18

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but would be better with more power, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like the idea of the Black & Decker Flex vacuum, but this particular model is a little weak on power.

Black & Decker's other lithium ion cordless hand vacuum's are great, but they lack a hose attachment to clean hard to reach places. The Flex vacuum deals with that brilliantly with a 4-foot flexible hose. It also comes with two attachments: a crevice tool and a brush/nozzle. It works OK, but the 16-volt power isn't powerful enough to pick up dust from baseboards or anything that might be sort of "stuck" to the floor or carpet. Basically, the debris needs to be already loose for the 16-volt Flex to pick it up. I took it out to my car and it picked up crumbs and plant soil well, but any hair or lint that was threaded in the carpet or floor mat wouldn't budge. The floor attachment also doesn't work particularly well because the vacuum itself doesn't have enough power.

I like the idea of the Flex cordless handheld, but wish it had more power. Also, it's a bit on the pricey side if you asked me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20