Profile for Ed > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 99

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ed RSS Feed (San Francisco Bay Area)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Energizer 2016 3V Lithium Button Cell Battery Retail Pack - 2-Pack
Energizer 2016 3V Lithium Button Cell Battery Retail Pack - 2-Pack
Offered by MLC Distribution, Inc.
Price: $2.63
65 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Right battery, different packaging, July 17, 2014
I bought the 2016 3V lithium batteries for my Timex Ironman watch. The battery seems to work fine in my Timex watch, but there's no "best before" or expiration date on the packaging. The packaging, as mentioned by many other reviewers, is completely different than in the photo displayed on the Amazon product page. It is silver and obviously part of some type of bulk "strip" pack. I'm not overly disappointed in the packaging, but just wish I had some confidence that the batteries weren't already very old. Still, the price was good and I got two for what I probably would've paid for only one somewhere else. Hopefully it lasts at least 12 months.

Renata 394 Button Cell watch battery
Renata 394 Button Cell watch battery
Offered by Carltons
Price: $1.96
6 used & new from $1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Swatch watch, July 17, 2014
I bought this for my late 90s Swatch watch. I'd previously replaced the battery with an Energizer 394/380 battery, but these batteries are surprisingly hard to find locally. I found that Renata is the OEM battery for Swatch watches, so I went ahead and ordered one to try. It works perfectly and I'm very happy I was able to find it on Amazon. The back of the packaging also displayed a "best before" date so I knew it wasn't an old battery.

Timuk2 Command Laptop TSA-Friendly Backpack, OS, Diablo
Timuk2 Command Laptop TSA-Friendly Backpack, OS, Diablo
Price: $129.00
2 used & new from $129.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Close To Being an Ideal Bag for Everyday Use and for Travel, July 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a thing for bags and my collection of bags include at least one for just about every purpose. Timbuk2 and OGIO are two of my favorite brands for bags. My current favorite for everyday use is the OGIO Hip Hop Messenger. My favorite for travel is the OGIO Renegade RSS backpack. I was hoping the Timbuk2 Command backpack would become my everything-in-one, but it just missed.

PROS:
- Good build quality
- Attractive bag comes in several colors
- Large capacity
- Small size considering capacity (1,923 cu. in.)
- TSA-compliant
- Good organizational pockets
- Dedicated tablet pocket with padding
- Multiple grab handles

CONS:
- Difficult to access laptop compartment
- Chest strap gets in the way when not in use

Like every Timbuk2 bag I own (at least seven), the build quality of the Command is good. The zippers open and close smoothly, the seams are sturdy, and the material looks durable. I like the way it looks and would be happy with more than one of the six available colors. The bag also looks small when it's empty and only weighs 2.4 pounds. Though it appears small, it actually has a capacity of 1,923 cubic inches (32L). It weighs less than my OGIO Renegades RSS by over a pound, yet it has more storage capacity! It even weighs less than my everyday bag, which only has 925 cu. in. of storage space. Things were looking good for the Command to take over as my do-it-all bag, until I went to throw my laptop in.

The Command is a TSA-compliant bag, which means you're allowed to leave your laptop in the bag when going through airport security. You just have to unzip the back section of the bag and lay it out flat, but the laptop stays securely in the bag. It's definitely convenient for travel purposes. The problem I had with this -- and it's a big one -- is that it's awkward and difficult to access the laptop compartment. The way that it's designed makes it impossible to get at it without the right-side shoulder strap getting in the way. For the occasional traveler, this might not be a major issue, but frequent travelers and for those using it daily, I can see it becoming a big annoyance. I'm not sure there's any way to design the bag to be TSA-compliant and not have this issue, but it's the primary reason why I'm not giving up my regular everyday bag.

On the other side of the padded laptop compartment is a padded sleeve for tablets. The front of the Command has a medium-sized side pocket (Napolean-like) and above that is a small valuables pocket, lined with a soft fleece material. It's large enough to fit smartphones like the iPhone 5s and Samsung Galaxy S5 with cases.

Moving from front to back, the next compartment is a large one that runs from the top, all the way down. It zips half-way down and includes organizational pockets, including three pen pockets and three larger pockets for holding things like a travel mouse or a reporter's notebook. There are also two zipped pouches to keep smaller items neat and tidy. The main section of this compartment is a good spot for paperback books and magazines. It's not padded at all, so you won't want to put delicate gadgets there unless they're in their own protective case.

The next compartment is the largest one in the Command. It zips open three quarters of the way down. This is a good pocket for carrying your lunch, large books, a change of clothes, or even a 13-inch MacBook Air in its original box. The compression straps allow you to expand this compartment, then cinch it. On the left side of the Command, there's an elastic pocket that can be used for water bottles. I was able to put my 18-ounce stainless steel Thermos water bottle in the pocket, but it was very tight.

CONCLUSION: The Timbuk2 Command laptop backpack is a good backpack. The ample storage, comfortably ventilated back, and TSA-compliance make it convenient for travelers. It also has a nice set of storage compartments so you can find a place for all your stuff. However, the difficult-to-access laptop compartment makes it hard for me to wholly recommend it for everyday use and frequent travel. Since the big selling point of this bag is the TSA-compliant laptop compartment, the fact that it's kind of a pain to zip and unzip is a significant drawback in my opinion. It's a nice backpack otherwise, so if you want to give it a shot, I won't hold it against you. But for me, my everyday bag remains the OGIO Hip Hop. I might, however, give the Command a shot the next time I fly. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out an good trick for accessing the laptop compartment.

Samsung WB2200F 16.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Digital Camera with 60x Optical  Zoom, 3.0" LCD and 1080p HD Video (Black)
Samsung WB2200F 16.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Digital Camera with 60x Optical Zoom, 3.0" LCD and 1080p HD Video (Black)
Price: $373.99
23 used & new from $319.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Average image quality and questionable design, July 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Spec and feature-wise, the Samsung WB2200F superzoom digital camera has practically everything you'd want in a bridge-style camera. It has a 20-1200mm lens, Wi-Fi, NFC, EVF, 3-inch LCD, HD video, and optical image stabilization. Personally, I'm not a fan of bridge cameras and the WB2200F hasn't changed my mind about that.

PROS:
- Huge 60x zoom lens
- Easy vertical shooting ability
- Includes EVF with diopter
- Good battery life
- Easy access to some manual controls

CONS:
- Slow autofocus
- Image quality is just average
- Easy to tip over from being top-heavy
- EVF requires manual switch

Half of all the photos I take are with my smartphone, because let's face it, it's just so convenient and the quality is more than acceptable. When I actually have the foresight to bring along a dedicated camera, I typically go with a mirrorless camera. Currently, that camera happens to be a Samsung NX30. I've also used mirrorless cameras from Sony and Fujifilm, but the point is, I'm rarely happy with point & shoot cameras. I gave the WB2200F a chance and aside from the crazy long lens, there wasn't too much I liked about it.

The WB2200F has an odd shape because it has a dual grip for vertical shots. It even has its own shutter when you hold it vertically. The grip is easy to hold and very comfortable, but its benefit is dubious. I'd hoped that the bulbous grip would allow dual batteries for extended battery life, but that wasn't to be. What the grip ends up doing is making it top heavy so that unless it's sitting on a perfectly flat and level surface, the camera will tip and rest on the bottom of the lens. Even on a level surface, it's easy to accidentally tap the camera over and onto its lens. On the bright side, the buttons and dial are easy to use.

The 3-inch LCD is a nice size, but the quality of the display isn't great. The EVF is a nice feature to have when the sunlight washes out the LCD, but you have to activate it manually. The NX30 and my Canon DSLR both have eye sensors that automatically activate the EVF when you bring it up to your eye.

The WB2200F only captures images in JPG, so you have to rely on the camera's JPG processing. Most of the shots I took were OK, some were subpar, and fewer were very good. The lack of image quality out of superzooms is the primary reason why I bought a DSLR several years ago. I tried a very highly rated Panasonic at the time and was left underwhelmed. Mirrorless cameras hadn't really matured yet, so I bought a DSLR with a decent kit lens, then added a very good zoom lens, and a 50mm prime. The WB2200F and other superzooms like it have no place for me, unfortunately.

If you have to have a point and shoot superzoom/bridge camera, the Samsung WB2200F isn't a bad choice, but I'm not sure it's the best choice. If I could convince you to give up on bridge cameras altogether, that's what I'd recommend. Sony's NEX cameras are cheap and have great image quality. Staying with Samsung, I also highly recommend the NX30, though, it's twice the price of the WB2200F.

Melissa & Doug Craft and Create Friendship Bracelets
Melissa & Doug Craft and Create Friendship Bracelets
Price: $7.99
46 used & new from $1.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, cheap fun for patient kids., July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This kit is a good value and comes with a fair number of strings and beads. It's a bit complicated for kids who don't have a lot of patience, so that's something to keep in mind. My oldest daughter enjoyed making some of the simpler bracelets, but hasn't sat down to try some of the more intricate ones. My youngest hasn't shown any interest all, even though she really enjoys her rainbow loom.

OXO Good Grips Lift and Lock Pole Caddy
OXO Good Grips Lift and Lock Pole Caddy
Price: $129.99
8 used & new from $84.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive and the pole bows, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The pole comes in four sections, which allows you to easily adjust its size. I ended up using three sections and leaving the extension part out. Installation was pretty quick and easy and I had the pole secure in less than 10 minutes and placed the trays on in another two.

One of my concerns with the OXO pole caddy is that the pole bows after I lock it. I tried adjusting it and it wasn't easy to get the top touching the ceiling, then locking the base without the pole bowing. Another concern I have is with rusting. I have a hard time believing that the pole is actually "rust proof." I've used expensive OXO suction cup baskets in my shower that were supposed to be rust proof and they rusted in no time. I see from other reviewers that they've had rust problems with the pole caddy too.

The OXO pole caddy might be worth trying for some people, but I'm disappointed in the quality of the pole. It should be constructed well enough that it doesn't bow when you lock it in. And I'm not sold that the caddies won't rust. To top it off, this is one heck of an expensive shower accessory. If you take a chance on this one, make sure you hold onto the packaging in case you need to return it.

Cool Downz Cooling Towel, Blue, 13 x 29-Inch
Cool Downz Cooling Towel, Blue, 13 x 29-Inch
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good size for adults and works well. Also, a great price., July 8, 2014
This review is from: Cool Downz Cooling Towel (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been curious about these "cooling towels" for about a year. I first saw an expensive New Balance branded one online, then a cheaper two-pack for sale at a big box store. Then, my wife got one from the Red Cross for donating platelets so I finally got to try one. Brilliant! Brilliant, I say!

The Cool Downz towel is more than twice as large as the one we got from the Red Cross. They're both pretty effective at getting cool and keeping YOU cool. My youngest daughter tends to get overheated pretty quickly so I plan to keep both towels handy during walks, bike rides, hikes, playing at the park, etc. Also, it helps to flip it around from time to time to rotate the cool sections onto your skin.

When you're done using it, make sure to put it back in the container while still a bit wet. If you let it completely dry, it will dry up crispy like a dry leather chamois. If it does, carefully re-wet the towel, taking care not to fold the dry sections.

Panasonic BK-3MCCA4BA eneloop AA New 2100 Cycle Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack
Price: $14.79
29 used & new from $9.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Eneloops are the only rechargeables I buy, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As far as I can tell, the new Panasonic-branded Eneloops are identical to the old Sanyo Eneloops aside from the branding. I have a bunch of the Sanyo HR6 AAs and several AAAs. The Panasonic Eneloop AAs have "(HR6)" printed on them as well.

I love low self discharge batteries and no longer buy regular NiMH batteries. I keep a pack of alkalines around just in case, but rarely ever need them. I use the Eneloops in my external camera flash, flashlights, TV remotes, and various toys and gadgets that my kids use. It's nice to be able to swap out the batteries for my kids without making them wait. I keep several sets charged and ready to go and since they're "low self discharge," I know they'll be usable when I need them. I do recommend a quality charger, however. On occasion, I've found sets of Eneloops in my kids' toys that ran out and were forgotten for a very long time. When I tried to charge them, they wouldn't charge to full capacity. Refreshing them with my Lacrosse charger took care of it and I was able to put the batteries back into circulation.

Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 90MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MG64DA/AM)
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $63.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The premier micro SDXC card, right here., July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Samsung PRO micro SDXC cards are top-notch. I have the 64GB and 32GB versions of the card and they perform nearly the same. Sequential read speeds are about 91 MB/s and write speeds are about 79 MB/s (CrystalDiskMark). I used a Kingston USB 3.0 memory card reader to test the cards and initially got much slower speeds. I then realized that I'd plugged the reader into a USB 2.0 port. Once I fixed that, the cards flew.

I have the 32GB card in a digital camera and the 64GB card in a Samsung Galaxy S5. They both work perfectly and I never worry about performance. The 64GB card in my GS5 is particularly awesome, because I can store all my camera phone photos, music, video files/movies, and still have plenty of room to move apps to the card to free up internal memory.

Samsung definitely hit it out of the park with the PRO micro SDXC cards. If you don't need ultimate performance, I'd recommend checking out the Samsung EVO cards. I have the EVO cards as well and at half the price of the PRO, they're a great deal if you can live with Read/Write speeds closer to 47 MB/s read and 31 MB/s write.

Zipper Case for Kindle Fire HDX 7" by Incipio, Black (does not fit previous generation)
Price: $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me. Looks and feels like a knock-off., June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This case looks and feels like a knock-off case, which is surprising for an Incipio case.

PROS
- Inside shell case is nice and thin

CONS
- Looks and feels like a knock-off case
- Buttons are hard to push
- Zipper is loud and feels cheap
- Too big

Zippered cases aren't for everyone. I admit that some people really like them. I've even bought them as gifts for others. Incipio is a good brand I was expecting a good quality zippered case, but I was wrong.

The exterior looks bad, IMO. It's a smooth, leatherette-like material. It looks cheesy to me and doesn't look classy at all or remotely fashionable. The interior lining is a soft material to keep it from scratching the HDX screen. There are six very tight card pockets and two wider pockets. There's also a stylus/pen holder. The base where you actually place the HDX fits snugly and offers good protection. The removable shell case is a neat idea and isn't too hard to take on and off once you figure it out. Probably the biggest problem I had with this case was the low-quality zipper. It didn't zip smoothly and was very loud.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of zippered cases, but even if I were, I wouldn't be happy with the Incipio Zipper case.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20