Profile for Tal Klein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tal Klein "alcoholic kung fu dj" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Exhaustasaurus
Exhaustasaurus
Price: $16.06
6 used & new from $2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars I spent 5 years in the studio and all I got was this album!, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Exhaustasaurus (Audio CD)
Five years in the making, this album represents a big departure for my sound - away from breaks & beats, and towards the deeper side of disco and cosmic house. It reflects many changes in my life, but when I listen to it, I feel like it's truly a great portrayal of my life over this past half decade. I feel very fortunate to be able to make an album in this day and age of digital downloads, and I hope you get the chance to listen to it from beginning to end, as I intended it to be heard. I hope you dig it!

Ghosts/Aliens
Ghosts/Aliens
by Trey Hamburger
Price: $10.54
74 used & new from $3.30

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: this book is haunted and/or may be a portal to a teleportation device that aliens control, December 12, 2008
This review is from: Ghosts/Aliens (Paperback)
I'm not sure if it's me writing this review but I'm pretty sure I'm me because I just looked in the mirror and winked at myself and the guy in the mirror winked back and he kind of looks like me except maybe a little bit fatter, so maybe it's me in the future after lunch and/or snacks.

This book has taught me so much that I've since in fact forgotten everything because once you learn something so well that you master it, you forget it all together because you become a natural. If you want to become a natural like me, I'd suggest you buy this book, and quick, because I'm pretty sure that every time I even think about this book my powers grow stronger and your chances of becoming as good as me are declining.

This book is so good that it should get an Oscars, of the book version of an Oscar which I believe is called a Hamburger.

Plastic Starfish
Plastic Starfish
Offered by Groove Distribution
Price: $18.00
6 used & new from $9.01

5.0 out of 5 stars of Plastic Starfish and Minty Tridents, April 28, 2008
This review is from: Plastic Starfish (Audio CD)
I love making music. I especially love finishing an album. This one is funky, bouncy, even a little bit emotional (but not too much). The songs are as playful as their titles, and I really hope you enjoy what I've cooked up here. Fun music for funky people.

Wild Highway
Wild Highway
by Bill Drummond
11 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars who would have imagined?, October 2, 2005
This review is from: Wild Highway (Paperback)
Indeed, who COULD have imagined that Bill Drummond, co-founder of the KLF, would be the last true beat writer? Although not as well authored as, say, Burroughs, Kerouac, or Thompson, the book does cover a lot of existential ground. Drummond's logs throughout Z's and Gimpo's ramblings serve as treatises of reality, sort of olive branches offered to a reader trapped in the creative unapologetic word vortex. There's lots of violence, drugs, sex, and certainly lots of filler. The book is a heavy read, not the kind of adventure one feels the urge to digest in one sitting. I enjoyed the open-ended writing style. One word of warning though, the book makes many (albeit often subtle) references to its prequel, Bad Wisdom. What will that curmudgeon Drummond and his pesky cronies be up to next time? Perhaps a recovery mission for a certain box of hidden money in a place which smells of sulfur? ;)

Alpha-Beats
Alpha-Beats
Price: $18.32
17 used & new from $6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars has it really been three years?, December 27, 2004
This review is from: Alpha-Beats (Audio CD)
time is a fickle judge of creativity. i had no idea what i was in for after i released "peace love beats". i went back into the studio and decided my next album would not be limited by genre, tempo, or style. i wanted to make something special, a cd full of surprises, and songs that bring out both groove and emotion. this is the end of the 'beats' trilogy, unfortunately, the first album in the series, "nicotine fits & analogue beats" is out of print, but Aniligital might re-release it if this album does well. Regardless, I hope that those of you who have been with me thus far as well as those who are new to my music will enjoy this latest offering; it's a trip hop rollercoaster!

Peace Love & Beats
Peace Love & Beats
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $2.99
24 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars what an original title!, December 27, 2004
This review is from: Peace Love & Beats (Audio CD)
I seem to be getting a lot of e-mails about this CD, so let me set the record straight: I, Tal M. Klein, producer of the CD 'Peace Love Beats' (also available from amazon) have nothing to do with this CD. However, since I've been getting inundated with questions about it, I figured I'd give people my thoughts on it: This CD is a faux soundtrack for a movie with the same title. I picked up this CD at Winter Music Conference 2004. The CD, much like its movie counterpart, is a self-important backrub for the Miami Winter Music conference, an event where hasbeen's and wannabe's get together and do a lot of cocaine in South Beach. Although the mixes on the album are flawless and banging, the tracks themselves are uninteresting and repetitive (overdose house). If what you're looking for is epitomic modern dance music, I'd reccomend purchasing Sonar 2004 (ASIN: B0002C41DS) instead of this CD, or if you have the means and wherewithal, perhaps buy both so that you can judge for yourself.

Len Parrot's Memorial Lift
Len Parrot's Memorial Lift
24 used & new from $0.71

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, January 3, 2004
Over the span of my life i've encountered very few albums which i honestly thought were amazing. there's a lot of "good" or "really great" stuff out there, but "amazing" is hard word to get out of me when describing music -- maybe it's because i'm a musician myself, but this is a review of a cd, not an analysis of my self -- Len Parrot's Memorial Lift is truly an amazing album. I compare its majesty to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon and Radiohead's OK Computer. Every song is filled with wonder and the music is so delicate that every chord seems like it's hanging on its own fragile vine on a windy day. This album is good medicine.

Fishing With John (The Criterion Collection)
Fishing With John (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Willem Dafoe
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $16.99
28 used & new from $9.96

5.0 out of 5 stars i got one!, December 8, 2001
by far the best miniseries on television. john's attempts at "fishing" often leave me wondering if his guests knew he had no idea how to fish, or if they're just playing along. tom waits seems to get genuinely (angry) at one point, and then i think he gets it. watching this show made me start watching fishing shows on tv (bass masters, etc.), i never really thought about it, but there's some great dialogue there. while waiting to catch a fish, they often talk about everything from the meaning of life, to trouble in the homefront (i.e. "looks like i'll be couch-ridden again"). so, um, buy it!

Gorillaz
Gorillaz
Price: $4.99
136 used & new from $0.24

4.0 out of 5 stars misty, December 8, 2001
This review is from: Gorillaz (Audio CD)
i like this album, but not all of it. there are definitely great tracks in it and i highly reccomend it to all fans of hip hop - alternative crossover, because this cd melds the two genres well. Clint Eastwood and Starshine are clearly the two most pop-centric tracks, dan the automator does his thing well, but just as in the handsome boy modeling agency, sometime he leaves his pop sensibilities and tries to make the music "deep" which is when it begins to (...). so, as long as you don't mind not liking a few tracks on a cd you own, this is a great cd to have, otherwise, just buy the singles because the remixes are dope.

Why Are You Doing This to Me
Why Are You Doing This to Me
3 used & new from $22.94

5.0 out of 5 stars worst cd ever!!, November 2, 2001
just kidding, you know those cd's you get in stores called "Dance Party To Go!" or "Hip Hop Party To Go!" well, this should be "Frat Party To Go!" -- seriously, you could NOT had a bad time mixing alcohol and this CD. It is my favorite drinking companion because it's loud and funny, just like a good drinking buddy should be. So go out and buy this CD, then stock up your fridge with some white-label "beer" and maybe some cold pizza too. I promise a positive drinking experience!

Page: 1 | 2