Profile for Raven > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Raven RSS Feed (Manhattan, KS)

Page: 1 | 2
Marineland Penguin 200, Power Filter, 30 to 50-Gallon, 200 GPH, Size C
Marineland Penguin 200, Power Filter, 30 to 50-Gallon, 200 GPH, Size C
Price: $25.64
37 used & new from $17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have coughed up the money for an AquaClear, September 15, 2014
I'm not impressed. The flow rate is too much considering it sits on the short side of the tank, the biowheel snags on the plastic housing (makes noise) and the impeller is noisy, and it's constantly splashing.
this is much quieter than my tetra whisper (after doing everything to make it quieter, even replacing the impeller).
If the water is too low this constantly splashes. if the water is too high, the splashing is quieter but water gets EVERYWHERE.

Shouldn't have been trying to save a few bucks, I really like my AquaClear/fluval filters, now THOSE are silent.

ASUS 1015E-DS01 11-Inch Notebook (1.1 GHz Intel Celeron 847 Sandy Bridge, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB 5400 rpm, Windows 8 64-bit)
Offered by ionebay
Price: $309.99
4 used & new from $119.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow and glitchy, September 22, 2013
All I wanted was a little netbook to take to class, run word, adobe, maybe firefox.
One month in:
*very slow and glitchy.
* Trackpad is unresponsive at worst or runs all over the screen. I don't bother trying to scroll anymore.
*Keyboard is slow: I type fast, yes, but also accurately, this keyboard takes way too long to catch up.
*It forgets wifi networks.
*It needs to be restarted every other day otherwise it gets too slow to even be used.And of course I have to wait for the million windows updates to slow it down even more.
**Battery SUCKS!!!! 4-5 hrs, or 7 if I don't touch it but just look at it. Maybe. stretching that a little. All I'm doing is typing in word. Nothing else, brightness all the way down.

And the greatest point of abhorrence, maybe I, like many others can't operate win8, but there is zero multitasking. While in lecture, I cannot share screen space with word and adobe reader, have to go to the other program, and in there I cannot look at two docs at the same time. I have to QUIT one to open another otherwise the whole reader app freezes and restarts.

Leave apps to phones and keep computers as computers.

The only aspects I like: smallish, quiet, black
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2013 2:30 PM PST

Cocoon CLB650GY Laptop Case, up to 17 inch, 18 x 3.75 x 13.5 inch, Gray
Cocoon CLB650GY Laptop Case, up to 17 inch, 18 x 3.75 x 13.5 inch, Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nifty, September 24, 2012
With so very few reviews and pictures online, I felt I was going out on a limb purchasing this. For the price, I had to be sure my laptop would fit, along with a graphics tablet, power cords, and all the other little extras I tend to accumulate in my laptop cases. I am not disappointed.

My 17" MacBookPro inside a Speck case fits with room to spare. The two elastic bands, openable with velcro, and rubber feet in the center and corners of the case really help to secure the laptop in one place.
On the lid there are two pockets, closeable with velcro, and little open pockets that can fit business cards or something similar.
Grid-It reviews are easy to find, but yes, one square is included here and it's pretty nifty. There's also, within the larger pocket, a mesh separator, which is nice for some of the larger (too large for the Grid-It) to sit and not slide around too much.

I can fit my laptop, it's adapter and power cord, a graphics tablet, papers, pens, and of course chapstick, quite comfortably.

The case itself is semi-hard: it could hold up to some bumps and bangs, but my beastly 20lb cat sitting on it, I would then have to worry about the contents squashing my screen.
The case is super light, zipper-closed, and I would like to say it should last me the life of my current computer.

The only downside I have encountered so far is the inability for the case to stand on its own or similarly, it would be nice to have some feet on the bottom, so while setting it down, the case itself will not be dirtied or potentially damaged by what's on the ground.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase and if anything changes, I'll be back to let you know.
Comment Comment | Permalink

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft, but just OK, September 22, 2012
The good:
Soft, warm, lovely color, nice inside the house and out, and real sheepskin.

The not so good:
I wear a 7.5 and the 8 is almost too small (but I'm sure the 9 will be too big)
The skin/fur/fluff on the sole is really thin and I expect it to wear out in a month or two of constant wear.

The neutral:
there's some squish underfoot with these, which is kind of comfy, and I like the hard sole. For those complaining of the too hardness, it comes with the sole. You know, the thicker the rubbery stuff, the harder it'll be :p

Would I buy these again?
My last sheepskin slippers lasted me some 3 years (and were half the price), and by the end it still had most of the wool, these ones I can tell won't last, and for the price, yes, these are the cheapest here, but they're still pricey

Coup d'Etat (A Dewey Andreas Novel)
Coup d'Etat (A Dewey Andreas Novel)
by Ben Coes
101 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars My God! It just doesn't stop!, February 10, 2012
If you devour sensationalist words and contrived plot lines, well then, this book is for you! For everyone else, just move along, you'll be better off for it.

Starting in, we're treated with our hero, the rough, rugged, ripped, and remarkabl...ly american Dewey Andreas. Take everything we want to see in an American soldier, oops, I mean, ex-soldier. He's perfect, never quits, quiet, wanted, tortured, and when he is beaten down, he'll still outrun all those bullets flying at him. No, really, a whole foreign army is firing at him, AFTER he got a severe concussion and a beating, and he's somehow, magically able to avoid getting shot. Really..

Moving on, the plot is slowly unveiled to reveal that country A and B have had tensions for years, and all it took was one death to topple everything over, and so enters the Nukes. Yes, the nukes. But this is just the beginning.
America enters the fray to puke up the ideals of democracy and freedom and the American way of life.

And so on and so forth. For hours I listened to one long-winded speech after another from any number of characters. Characters that just droned on and on about how wrong it is to fight with nukes, how we should embrace freedom, or play nice with each other, or who knows what else.
Before the halfway mark, my senses were so bludgeoned with the words nuke, terrorist, freedom, and the draft that I in turn craved freedom from this drivel.
Honestly, Mr. Author, basic english craft: your characters, while fake, need not sound fake. No human will improv a speech that was meant to be a simple answer to a simple question and blab on and on.
I only wish I could fill my books' pages with fluff like that. It is rather impressive.

If there was one thing I took away from this book was: middle easterner= arab= terrorist.
The characters referred to themselves as terrorists. The 3rd person narrative referred to them as terrorists. Characters from various countries in the middle east called themselves or those they didn't like terrorists.
Calling an arab a terrorist does not make him a terrorist. To whatever middle eastern nutjob out killing people, to him, he is a martyr for justice and his own people's way of life. Other people will give that man the T-title, he will not. Honestly, was there no other word to use? Who even calls themselves terrorists, even when they know their actions will be constituted as terrorism?
This word was thrown out more frequently than I cared to count in such a careless, let's-desensitize-to-the-word fashion

Onto the mechanics: the writing itself is on the good side of mediocre, nothing overly impressive, and only a smattering of awkward or confusing segments. The characters are the usual archetypes: strong American Man; his love an ocean away, delicate, feminine, works in the white-house with her hand in all the secret cookie jars; the idyll president; the evil middle-eastern terrorists; the peace-through-destruction leaders, and so on and so forth.

Being deployed at this very moment, I had the joy of acquiring the audiobook version available through a playaway thing.
The narrator through Brilliance audio is pretty good. His accents are smashing and well varied, his speed could be slown down a hair, but he's easy to understand. However, my largest issue with the oration, is that his female tones need serious re-work. And I mean serious. There's not even an iota of effort put into the falsest of sotto voices. Because of that, it's about impossible to discern the male characters from any of the females and thus the incessant droning of the story itself is made all the worse by the same tone of the speaker..
I know it will sound awkward for a naturally masculine voice to attempt a female tone, but it's been done, and those of us listening to audiobooks understand that there is only one voice to speak for any number of characters, opposite sex included.

TL;DR
Altogether, this story is bad. The characters are weak, the plot is thin, all the middle-easterners are terrorists, countries want to nuke each other, and I have never before fast forwarded half of the chapters just to get done with a book sooner, but this one warranted it like no other.

And truly, ignorance is bliss. When it comes to military affairs, wikipedia is not your friend, Mr. Author, do some actual hands on research, if you can. It doesn't make your characters any bit credible to have him walking willy-nilly through a moving helicopter, smoking and yelling over the roar of the blades to a helmeted pilot. Nor should he resemble rambo firing one handed over the once-shot and immediately dead bodies of various compatriots.

Above all:
Cringe-worthy and painful to listen to
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 11:21 AM PDT

Smith & Wesson SWVIPS Viper Small Serrated Knife
Smith & Wesson SWVIPS Viper Small Serrated Knife

4.0 out of 5 stars Super sharp, January 17, 2012
Watch your fingers! Wow!
I got this to be used as a boot knife, however that sort of fell through for a few reasons, two of which are: the handle is thicker than it seems it should be, and the clip in the back is really stiff and tight, not something easily or quickly slipped onto or off of a boot...cuff (whatever it's called).
Once the motion is got, it flips easily and impressively. And the safety works impeccably to keep the blade down. And even though the handle is too thick for what I needed, it's strong and will protect the thin blade.

Don't expect to use the blade for stabbing or skinning, the hinge likely won't hold up, but for emergencies or little needs, this baby is amazing.

Wamsutta 360 Perfect Pinpoint Twin Fitted Sheet, Willow
Wamsutta 360 Perfect Pinpoint Twin Fitted Sheet, Willow
Offered by Green Mountain Direct, Inc.
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $24.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., January 17, 2012
I got the fitted twin; willow:
Way too big. This is for one of those overly stuffed, pillow-topped, insanely huge twin beds, not the average, usual, everyday mattress (And I think mine's like 12 or 14" deep!). And who really has that kind of a twin bed and is left with buying the cheapest fitted sheet here? Honestly!
The fabric is too noisy for the quality. If it were thicker, I'd understand the noise, but it's thin and altogether blah.
The willow color, however, is nice. It's a soft pastel-ish green (same lightness, but more green than the image shows)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 12:18 AM PST

Women's New Balance Athletic Capri Pants
Women's New Balance Athletic Capri Pants

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for me, January 13, 2012
4 stars because I would like to have had more specific detail for the sizing.
I have 29" waist and 37" hips and got the small. It fits comfortably without being a coochy-crawler. The waist on this is loose, so would fit someone who has a belly.
The material is stretchy and kind of thin (<--but not in a bad way). These will be excellent to wear on walks and such in the warmer months.
The purple color is kind of hideous (more of a violet-y magenta). But I may just be a hue-purist *shrug*.

Shipping was fast and packaging was good.
Altogether I'm pleased with my purchase

Timex Kids' T73751 Tween Digital Clip Watch
Timex Kids' T73751 Tween Digital Clip Watch

2.0 out of 5 stars Worse than expected, January 13, 2012
This almost got 4 stars because I was extremely pleased with the ability for the watchface to flip around, so while hanging from my belt loop, I'd be able to easily read the time.
Plus, the watchface is large enough to read easily, and the glass covering seems pretty strong to put up with most of my uncarefulness.

However, the cons were far too big.
1st: the mode button popped off as soon as I took it out of the packaging and as a whole, it was very difficult to change the time. (I'm hoping to be able to super glue it back in)
2nd: the watch is much bigger than I was expecting (I want it smallish to hide behind my army top). It's 4in by 2in
3rd: the packaging it came in was obscenely huge and wasteful. There was just the watch in a large box.

Shipping was fast, like usual, and I won't bother sending it anywhere, since that cost just won't be worth it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, August 20, 2010
The lights fit in the holes like they're supposed to and were really easy to install. When my bike's wiring works, the blinker lights are bright. I'm not too keen on the lights only stuck to the fairing with some double sided tape, and it's only been a half a day, so we'll find out later if it'll hold or not.
Shipping was super fast though!

Page: 1 | 2