Profile for Ryan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ryan RSS Feed (Burlingame, US, Canada)

Man's Search for Meaning
Man's Search for Meaning
by Viktor E. Frankl
Price: $7.91
312 used & new from $2.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Book, June 19, 2007
I originally bought this book knowing nothing about Frankl, his experiences, or psychological theories. I simply read the description and a few of the overwhelmingly positive reviews here on Amazon and decided that it sounded interesting. What a life-changing book. Merely reading it at any given time has a marked positive influence on my attitude towards life.

What's most interesting about it, as Frankl says himself, is that what he's propounding are not abstract ideas developed by some academic at a university or in some research laboratory. He uses his direct experience in one of the most adverse circumstances possible--a Nazi concentration camp--to relate the ideas of logotherapy (his own school of psychotherapy) to the reader.

In a nutshell, the three most important tenets of logotherapy are as follows: (1) Life has meaning under all circumstances--even the most miserable ones; (2) Our main motivation for living is our will to find meaning in life; and (3) We have the freedom to find meaning in what we do, and what we experience, or at least in the stand we take when faced with a situation of unchangeable suffering. These principles are put directly to the test, and Frankl demonstrates their validity in a way that no social scientist has conceived of (or been able to) ever before.

From the afterword:

"Frankl was once asked to express in one sentence the meaning of his own life. He wrote the response on paper and asked his students to guess what he had written. After some moments of quiet reflection, a student surprised Frankl by saying, 'The meaning of your life is to help others find the meaning of theirs.'

'That was it, exactly,' Frankl said. 'Those are the very words I had written.'"

Physics: Principles with Applications
Physics: Principles with Applications
by Douglas C. Giancoli
116 used & new from $29.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Learn to Run Before You Can Walk with Giancoli's "Physics" . . ., June 14, 2007
While I wouldn't call this a bad book, I find myself rather frustrated with it. It seems to me to be most ideally suited for those who either have a natural inclination for physics or those who have plenty of spare time in which to contemplate solutions for the problems. (Unfortunately, I have neither.) The chapters themselves are actually fairly well done, but, in my opinion, not well enough to provide all the necessary information and insights to successfully solve the problems. I've opted to discontinue my attempts to work through this book in favor of Cutnell and Johnson's text of the same title.

Concentration: A Guide to Mental Mastery
Concentration: A Guide to Mental Mastery
by Mouni Sadhu
Price: $12.50
82 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Definitive Guide to Mental Mastery, May 7, 2005
When I first encountered this little gem of a book, I read it once through and didn't give it too much thought afterward. I was mainly interested in improving my concentration in an effort to strengthen my intellect, and, at the time, it seemed to me that there were better ways of doing this. This probably isn't the case, though. While Sadhu's exercises are almost insanely difficult, they are practically guaranteed to bring results. And the great thing is that much of the advice offered in the book is compatible with almost any theological or philosophical outlook. The only thing that I found a little off-putting about the book is all the Eastern mysticism and such that Sadhu makes references to and seems to believe in. That's not even nearly enough to detract in any way from this book's value, though.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits
Price: $6.99
123 used & new from $0.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow . . ., April 12, 2004
After first seeing the song selection on this album, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I'm a pretty recent fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I only began listening to them junior year (last year), so, as per the recommendations of some of the reviewers here, I got "By the Way" and then worked my way backwards. I've been hooked ever since. My tastes still tend to lean towards their newer stuff (I guess most older fans are the opposite), but they are now, without a doubt, my favorite band of all time.
Every song on this CD is a knockout, even the newer, unreleased ones, though they may take a few listens to appreciate. Among my favorites are "Under the Bridge," "Californication," "Scar Tissue," "Suck My Kiss," "Parallel Universe," "Breaking the Girl," and "Higher Ground."
A special note: "Soul to Squeeze." This is quite possibly my favorite song of all time. I would've payed the $17 just for this song. When I first heard this, I had no idea how much I'd later come to love it. At first, it may not strike you as anything special, but pay special attention to the way the bass and percussion interact, then how smoothly the guitar and vocals blend and are spread over that foundation. Simply brilliant.
Do yourself a favor and buy this CD.