Profile for Husband, Dad, and Nerd > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 58

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Husband, Dad, and Nerd RSS Feed (Austin, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Thermoworks Super Fast Water-Resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer
Thermoworks Super Fast Water-Resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer
Offered by ThermoWorks
Price: $24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thermometer reads fast and accurate, June 24, 2014
My most used kitchen and grilling accessory. Whether grilling, baking, making syrup, or steaming milk, a good thermometer is a must-have tool. This has a pretty sharp tip so it doesn't make a big hole in meat, and the sensor is right a the tip, so I can temp thin cuts of meat accurately. And fast, says 6 seconds, but usually gets within 5 degrees by 2 seconds, close enough for most purposes.

Anker® 24W Dual-Port Rapid USB Car Charger with PowerIQ technology and 3ft / 0.9m Micro USB Cable for Galaxy S5 S4, Tab 2, Note 4 3 , LG G3, Nexus 6 9, HTC One M8, MOTO X and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $10.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Best charging speed X2, short cord, June 24, 2014
Charges both my wife and my Galaxy S4s at 2 amps, or an S4 and Galaxy Tab, or iPhone 5s. Better than most of the wall chargers I've been able to find.

My only complaint is the built-in cord is very stiffly coiled, so while it theoretically will stretch quite a bit, but pulls back so strongly that its useful length is quite short.

Lumber Jack 100-Percent Hickory Wood BBQ Grilling Pellets, 40-Pound Bag (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by eLuxury Supply
Price: $49.47
3 used & new from $40.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, not the best nor worst pellets, January 29, 2014
Still searching for the best pellets, and these aren't them. I've tried a lot of brands and blends in my hunt for the best smoke and flavor, but so far I haven't found a perfect solution. These have a number of positives, but a huge glaring negative, so I'll list the pros and cons.
Pros:
1. No Fines (sawdust at the bottom of the bag). This is huge to me, nothing more annoying that getting an expensive bag of pellets just to find 1/4 - 1/2 (Yeah I've seen that bad) of what should be pellets is worthless dust.
2. 100% flavor wood, another big pro here, and strong flavor as a result.
3. Good price
4. Nice small pellets, smallest I've seen actually. Feeds through the auger better than most.
Cons:
1. Ash, ash, and more ash! I can't emphasize this one enough, it is a deal-breaker and makes an otherwise great product sub-par. I've used a bunch of different blended and pure flavor wood pellets and NEVER seen this much ash. Grilling at 500 for 30 minutes with these pellets produces as much ash as smoking for 8 hours with other pellets, it really is that bad. And smoking with these... yuck, I've NEVER had to rinse ash off of my food before, just horrible. This really messed up my smoked Thanksgiving turkey, luckily I had lots of watery mop sauce, as I had to rinse it after smoking for 4 hours, it was covered in gray soot.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2014 2:18 PM PST

Tune-A-Nock Fl Orange 12 pack
Tune-A-Nock Fl Orange 12 pack
Price: $4.99
11 used & new from $3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the nocks you're looking for..., January 29, 2014
I installed these in Easton arrows that have the "Super Uni" (not normal Uni) bushings. These fit very snug, no risk of them coming out (ever). These have three advantages that really makes me wonder why no one else uses a similar design.
1. The nock depth is short, this makes it easier to put on the string (single versus double click on most), and easier to get off the string (company claims higher FPS, I just see tighter groupings).
2. The little flared ends on the tabs in conjunction with the type of plastic used allows for "Tuning" the nock to the bow string. Each string is a little different, in my case I have a thick 0.120" string when you include the serving. By pressing the nock against a hard flat surface or corner, the nock opening can be enlarged, and by gentle use of pliers can be reduced, but in either case the nocks happily maintain that size after many many shots. These are the only nocks I've ever gotten to properly hold my bow string without either being so tight they won't come off (had nocks stay on the string after the arrow was fired!), or so loose they fall off while trying to draw.
3. Hard to see from the picture, but they have deep cutouts in the vertical direction (stringwise) that freely allows for the string angle to change as it is drawn. Beiter is the only other nock I've seen that does this, and these are significantly cheaper.

ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 19 Running Shoe,Black/Red/Lime,10.5 M US
ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 19 Running Shoe,Black/Red/Lime,10.5 M US
Offered by 3Dsquare
Price: $114.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running shoe of recent memory, January 14, 2014
I'm a pretty severe overpronator, but I also need cushioning as I tend to plod rather than prance like some I know. This shoe fits the bill wonderfully. It fits accurately to size, holds my narrow heel snuggly, but gives my wide toes room to move (and that's in a D width). Only took a day of just wearing it around the office to break in enough for a comfortable run, that's an acheivement. I bought it after the Kayano 20s showed up, so I got a good deal, and like them so much I bought 2 pairs to keep me going for a while. If they get even cheaper I may buy a 3rd pair, I like them that much.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A good trial mix, too much Caza Trail, October 28, 2013
I decent mix of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cappuccino, and cider. Tea was a mix of 2 Twinnings and 5 Red Rose, Hot chocolate was 3 kinds of Grove Square, cappuccino was 3 flavors of Grove Square, and cider was 2 flavors of Grove Square. For the coffee mix, which was my interest, there were 2 Green Mountain, and more than a dozen different types of Caza Trail. There were no duplicates, so overall a good mix, I was just hoping for a better mix of national coffee brands.

Coffee Pod Drawer,Stores Up to 36 K Cups
Coffee Pod Drawer,Stores Up to 36 K Cups
Offered by RTM-Distributors
Price: $23.49
10 used & new from $13.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, cheap, does its job, October 28, 2013
Nothing outstanding, but works well, holds 36 k-cups and holds up the coffee maker. It is a wire mesh and metal frame, and the black parts are a type of foam that is glued onto sheet metal. It looks like the Keurig well enough. A nice feature is the drawer doesn't come all the way out easily, and it drops down at an angle. I can open it all the way and it hangs down over the edge of the counter giving a good view of everything in the drawer, and it doesn't fall out.

Broan QP230SS Evolution 2 30 In. Stainless Steel Convertible Range Hood
Broan QP230SS Evolution 2 30 In. Stainless Steel Convertible Range Hood
Offered by Buildcom
Price: $302.00
21 used & new from $290.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hood for a good price, October 28, 2013
First some background: After doing a significant amount of research, it seems that most hoods are a 1 dollar per CFM, regardless of other features. The CFM rating of over-the-range microwaves is a complete joke, as even a 100 CFM dedicated range hood will out-do a "300 CFM" microwave. The bigger brothers of this unit, the 330 and 430 have a lot of reported circuit board issues. I had a 200 CFM hood in a previous home and it worked well until doing cooking that generates a lot of smoke, like blackening or skillet searing meat.

With all of that, in mind I knew I wanted at least a 300 CFM hood with good lighting. This fits the bill perfectly, it clears smoke and odor beautifully so long as I open a window somewhere for it to draw air from. The lighting is very bright, the transitions are nice but just icing. It doesn't come down or stick out too far, and looks attractive enough. Clean up is also much easier than other hoods I've had. Quite happy with the my purchase.

A note about installation, it requires sealing several spots on the unit with foil tape, so make sure you have some. It will maximize airflow and prevent whistling noises. You will also need two people, it is far too awkward to install solo.

Chamberlain CLLP1 Laser Parking Accessory
Chamberlain CLLP1 Laser Parking Accessory
Price: $18.99
43 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good parking aid, throw distance is critical, and you may need to twist the laser, October 22, 2013
It works well with my Chamberlain opener, and it is plenty bright, even on my dusty, black dashboard. I like that it blinks, it makes it easier to spot, and it has a slightly wide angle lens to make the spot bigger.

That lens has been argued on other reviews to dim the beam, which it does do, and it may cause a problem if the throw is too long. From my 10 foot ceiling, aimed almost straight down, it is plenty bright.

One thing last tip may help if it isn't bright enough for you is to twist the laser in its holder about a quarter turn. Okay I'm not crazy, here is why this makes a difference. Laser light is highly polarized (google it if you don't know what that means) and so are sunglasses and some window tint. If the polarization is perpendicular to your sunglasses, the dot will nearly disappear, so you may need to twist the laser so the angle is more in line with your sunglasses or window tint. For me this made the difference between the dot being barely visible and being easy to see.

Textured dashboards will also cause issues as the light scatters at different angles, so it may not have anything to do with the laser, it may be your dashboard that is designed to be non-reflective.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 6:31 PM PDT

Whirlpool 279834 Valve Coil for Dryer
Whirlpool 279834 Valve Coil for Dryer
Offered by Fix-Em
Price: $7.99
25 used & new from $2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits mate to modern GE Frontload, October 22, 2013
I have a GE DCVH660 half of the pair of a 5 year-old front load washer, and I can confirm it works just great. After doing some research it seemed a pretty solid bet that this coil set works on nearly every brand of gas dryer, and modern GE models appear to be included in that. The sick thing is that GE only lists the coils individually (even though it is best practice to replace the set), and the best price I could find for two individual coils was 10 times what I paid for this set.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6