Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for MWebb > Reviews

Browse

MWebb's Profile

Customer Reviews: 296
Top Reviewer Ranking: 923

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MWebb RSS Feed (Berkeley, CA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ASUS CHROMEBIT CS10 RockChip 3288-C 2 GB LPDDR3L 16 GB eMMC Google Chrome OS
ASUS CHROMEBIT CS10 RockChip 3288-C 2 GB LPDDR3L 16 GB eMMC Google Chrome OS
Price: $82.98
52 used & new from $64.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Chromebit simplified, February 6, 2016
Your first question: "All the Asus Chromebook Flip owners (with the same Rockchip RK3288 processor) swear you need the 4gb version, but this only comes in 2gb - will it be ok?"

Answer: Yup. The Chromebook Flip is TOUCH-enabled, a rarity among budget Chromebooks, and I suspect that is why the Flip probably runs better with 4gb of RAM. That, or because reviewers' idea of a "test" is to run YouTube at 1080p in one tab, Spotify in a second, and browse an intense website (lots of junk including self-running videos and Flassh content) in the remaining tabs. And open 20 tabs to boot.

Your second question: "Does this get hot?"

Answer: Nope. Compared to my Lenovo Ideacentre Stick (basically a re-branded Intel Compute Stick - I think Lenovo is the Intel supplier) it runs as cool as a cucumber. Even though the Chromebit doesn't have an annoying fan, like the Lenovo Stick.

Your third question: "How do I hook up the keyboard and pointing device (mouse/trackpad)?"

Answer: When you first boot up your Chromebit, it automatically fires up in Bluetooth discovery mode, so you are good to go. Asus and Google pretty much assume you will use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. If you have one lying around, you should really go ahead and pair it to the Chromebit when you first activate the Chromebit, because it ONLY boots directly into Bluetooth discovery mode on its own the VERY FIRST TIME you fire up the Chromebit.

If you pair with a dongle-powered 2.4gHz wireless keyboard/mouse the first time, or use a wired mouse/keyboard, you will need to enter Bluetooth discovery mode manually, using your existing keyboard/mouse, before you can switch to Bluetooth-based hardware (for this reason you may wish to leave Bluetooth "on" during your initial Chromebit set-up).

Question: "Do you have any recommendations for keyboard/mouse?"

Answer: Thank you for asking, yes I do. First, I have and like the Microsoft Wireless All-In-One Media Keyboard (N9Z-00001) because it is as compact as my normal desktop keyboard, thanks to removing the keypad and replacing it with a built-in track pad. The Chromebit works poorly with a mouse - point and click are fine, but scrolling is slow and jerky and in the "wrong" direction compared to finger-swiping a trackpad. Other folks, including Lon Seidman (do a YouTube search), swear by the Logitech version of the all-in-one keyboard, the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 Plus with Built-In Touchpad for Internet-Connected TVs. The set-up I'm actually using is, ironically, mouse-based - the Dell (made by Logitech) wireless keyboard and trackpad that came with my micro desktop (Inspiron i3050). NOTE THAT I AM NOT USING BLUETOOTH. This isn't because Bluetooth is inferior, it's because I have 3 computers on my desk - Windows, Mac, Chromebit - and switch between them. Switching keyboards is MUCH simpler with a 2.4gHz wireless dongle, all I have to do is move the dongle to the set-up I want to use. No re-pairing required! (I have a Fosmon automatic source-switcher for HDMI to the monitor).

Q: "Is there any typing lag with your keyboard?" A: Nope, never, not even if I stop typing for 5 minutes or so. In fact, none, ever, except when multiple "remembered" tabs are busy loading at the same time.

Q: "Is there any lag in general?"

A: Only when loading multiple tabs when rebooting. For that reason, I recommend either (1) go into Settings, Advanced Settings, Start Up and set "Open a New Tab" NOT "Continue where you left off" so you don't get bogged down while your last 10 tabs re-open themselves, OR (2) close all EXCEPT FOR the tabs you actually WANT to reopen when you reboot.

Q: "Can I run 720p video smoothly?"

A: Heck yes, you can even run 720p/50fps (normal is 30fps) on YouTube smoothly. You can run 1080p/50fps smoothly, which is simply amazing - that chokes my low-end (but otherwise quite good) Windows notebook. It will run Google Play (Google-sourced) videos. It will run Amazon Instant Video. It will run YouTube Red paid content. It will run Netflix. All perfectly. It will NOT run any iTunes or Apple-streamed content at all. For that, you need a Mac, a Windows machine (even my low-end "win"book), an iPad, or an Apple TV.

Q: "Can I run my old DVD/BLU-Ray collection, converted to e-files on my USB stick?"

A: Assuming you have decided converted one medium format (disc) to another (e-file) is within your "fair use" copyright limitations, the answer is, "maybe." The built-in video player in ChromeOS is pretty basic, and doesn't support common audio coding formats often used by video-conversion software. Some will play with sound. Some won't play with sound. Google has been working on this. For years. Which means nothing is likely to change for more years.

Q: "Can I view my pictures?"

A: Easily, if you install Google Photos on your Android phone/tablet and/or on your Apple phone/tablet. Not very easily or reliably from an SD card or camera. Not photos on iTunes iCloud. Oddly enough, yes to Microsoft if you use OneDrive to upload your photos, since OneDrive is browser-accessible on Chrombrooks. BTW, your question goes beyond Chromebit-specific questions. The Chromebit is not better - and no worse - than Chromebooks and ChromeOS (the Chrome OPERATING SYSTEM not the Chrome browser!) in general. If you are using this for photos or do a lot of printing, see Lon Seidman's guide to Chromebooks on YouTube).

Q: "Well then what do YOU use your Chromebit for!!!???"

A: Uh...ultra-secure web-browsing, banking, filing my tax return, etc. That and because I'm a gadget head and love to play with tech. BUT RIGHT NOW, THERE IS NO MORE SECURE OPERATING SYSTEM THAN CHROMEOS. And the Chromebit is just $85. Heck, if you have roommates, kids, or friends who want to use your "computer," let them log into the Chromebit with their own account or a guest account. Never let them near a Windows machine! They'll infect it more quickly than a toddler brings home a cold to his or her parents.

And for videos. I mean OMG their isn't a better video processing chip in most mid to high end desktops (we are talking hardware decode here, not GPU). The Rockchip RK 3288 flies!

And for a relative (mom/dad/grandma/grandpa) who thinks YOU are their technical support when they get infected with malware. You will save yourself a lot of headaches and time setting them up with the Chromebit. Then, your toughest question will be "when did you replace the batteries last" if their keyboard suddenly goes non-responsive.

Q: "Any set-up tips? Operation tips?"

A: Yup:
1. Research your keyboard; wireless usually reaches a little further than Bluetooth.
2. I picked up a dual-port expander Plugable USB 2.0 2-Port High Speed Ultra Compact Hub/Splitter (480 Mbit/s, USB 2.0 Windows, Linux, OS X, Chrome OS) since the Chromebit only comes with a single USB port. I wanted to be able to use the wireless dongle for my keyboard/mouse and also a USB thumbdrive at the same time. If you use a Bluetooth keyboard, you will have the existing built-in port free. Amazon makes an Amazon Basics 4 port expander. Keep in mind these un-powered port expanders will only power very, very low-power devices like a wireless dongle, wired keyboard and wired mouse, or one thumbdrive at a time. If you plug-in more demanding devices, get a powered port expander, I like Amazon Basics.
3. If you use SD or micro SD cards, you will need an adapter - Transcend has a good rep on Amazon.
4. This comes with a short cable in case you can't plug the Chromebit directly into your HDMI monitor. I recommend using it anyway, to relieve potential stress on the monitor port and Chromebit end-plug.
5. Tape the end-cap that comes with this to the body, or you will lose it.
6. My monitor has a regular minijack (headphone jack) style output, so I set my monitor output to 75% volume level, then control the volume from the software audio controls within the desktop (not on the monitor). Monitors vary - you may have to control audio output level from the monitor. Whatever you do, never set any single part of the "control chain" to 100% volume level. I did this once and it produces distortion even at low actual output levels. So don't set the volume control in YouTube to 100% and expect to dial it back with the keyboard, or output 100% from your monitor's amplifier level to your external speakers (assuming you aren't using the monitor's built-in speakers).
7. This thing can only REALLY be shut off by unplugging the power jack after "powering down" from the desktop, since it doesn't have an on-off switch. What happens is, it WILL power down, but "watches" for a Bluetooth or wireless 2.4gHz keyboard "signal" to turn itself back on, since it doesn't have an actual power switch. So any accidental jiggle of the mouse will turn it back on. Of course if you have the all-in-one keyboard trackpack combo, this isn't likely to happen, but either I or my kids jiggle the mouse accidentally all the time (while doing other stuff on the desktop). Or I guess I could turn off the mouse physically, d'oh. Well since I am usually switching to the other computer, I like to manually unplug the Chromebit.

Any questions, I will try to answer them in comments.

SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46)
SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46)
Price: $29.99
45 used & new from $27.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Cannot sustain prolonged writes (more than 5gb at a time) without overheating and crashing, otherwise a jewel, January 20, 2016
5 star value, but only 3 star performance - and it's not an issue with transfer speeds over USB 3.0, it's choking and crashing on sustained large file transfers.

Product: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive, (SDCZ43-128G-G46) new from Amazon (itself, not a "vendor") in January 2016 for $33.49.

Let me explain. I wanted to replace my former HP 64gb USB 3.0 thumb drive, conventional full size, with this almost-flush mount thumbdrive (for use on a Dell Inspiron i3050 "micro" desktop, so the drive wouldn't be hanging out there at risk for jarring).

I placed the HP 64gb, with 343 files, 48.8gb in total size, with many files of 1gb, some 3gb, into a spare USB 2.0 port (the micro-desktop has several USB ports, but only one is USB 3.0). I put the new Ultra Fit into the 3.0 port. I used Windows Explorer to select all files, chose copy as the operation, and then pasted onto the Ultra Fit.

The Ultra Fit resulted in several crashes early in the copy process, with Windows Explorer reporting that the file I was attempting to copy could not be found. Invariably, the most recent filed (attempted to) copy was corrupted.

I then had to copy the files in small batches. This resulted in a crash about every third batch of about 5 folders. I even watched one file transfer crash and close the Ultra Fit's file Window - "E" drive cannot be found! - then reopen.

I attribute these crashes to heat build-up in the Ultra Fit during extended write operations (copying the large files TO the Ultra Fit). Every time it crashed, I had to check each file shown as copied for integrity, and every time, the operation in process during the attempted copy was corrupted.

I finally got the files copied, BUT YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE THIS FOR BULK FILE TRANSFERS, LIKE ARCHIVING.

So what is my verdict?

It's a tough call. I would have one-starred this, if I had bought it for bulk file transfers. For plugging into a Macbook Air for extra file storage, it's 5-star based on:
1. flush size;
2. 128gb in this incredibly tiny size;
3. USB 3.0 speeds; and
4. $34 purchase price, which is the BEST dollar per gigabyte price out there.

So I am giving it 3-stars and a detailed explanation so you can see if it will work for you. I don't want to see SanDisk give up on micro thumb drives like this because they don't perform rock-solid like the full-size HP 64gb I have - because how often do we do 50gb file transfers all at once? And how hard is it to work around the limits (small batches of files, let it cool down). And, I JUST COMPLETED A PROBLEM-FREE FILE TRANSFER THE OTHER WAY, BACK TO THE HP. Clearly, "reading" 50gb of files doesn't overheat this micro drive the way sustained "writing" does.

I have no idea what the practical speed limits of this drive are - USB 3.0 to USB 3.0. I didn't have an extra USB 3.0 port to test. BUT, the Ultra Fit gave me 34MBps writing to it, and 12MBps reading off it and writing back to the re-formatted 64gb HP thumbdrive - a limit of the HP thumbdrive being in the USB 2.0 port, I suspect.

UPDATE: I copied one 5gb file folder off the Ultra Fit onto the modestly spec'd Liteon M.2 drive on the Inspiron i3050 (also modestly spec'd with an Atom-based processor, Bay Trail vintage, Celeron J1888). Initial speeds of 128 MB/s quickly throttled back to 50-60 MB/s - more than satisfactory for me. No glitches.

I am, of course, most upset by the crashes during large writes to the Ultra Fit, especially by the lack of error reporting. I would prefer that SanDisk make this with a thermal sensor and throttle it, when required to prevent crashes and resultant data loss.

Now that I have my files on the new Ultra Fit, it is good to go - future file transfers will be much more modest, so I don't foresee any problems. At this price, and given SanDisk's otherwise impeccable reputation for speed, quality, and durability, I can work around the obvious shortcoming. I hope they release an improved one for more sensitive uses. In the meantime, I would feel safe using it for extra storage on a Macbook Air or Chromebook or small Windows laptop with 32gb SSD - just exercise some caution. If you have any questions, I'll answer them in comments to the best of my ability.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2016 2:20 PM PST

Fire, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black
Fire, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist perfection for $49 - if you can accept no official Google apps and 600p instead of 720p resolution, January 9, 2016
Best value-to-performance level ever.

Unlike those no-name online flea-market Android tablets for similar prices, you are getting Amazon quality, Amazon software integrity,* and Amazon service.**

[*"Amazon software integrity" means Amazon keeps malware and viruses out of the operating system and its "BIOS" or "firmware." Offshore Android tablet manufacturers aren't nefarious, but Chinese programmers take shortcuts using unofficial software repositories to save download time, and hackers have taken advantage of this in the past by inserting rogue code to be recycled by unsuspecting manufacturers. Since Amazon has top-notch, security conscious programmers, this isn't a problem with Amazon tablets.]

[*"Amazon service"* is LIMITED this time around to 90 days, not their usual 1 year. I don't think this is because the tablet is lower quality or has more manufacturing defect returns - it's my suspicion that a segment of customers typically abuse the warranty coverage for damage they themselves caused. 90 days limits customer "abuse." You can buy a 1 year or even longer warranty if you like, but I don't think you'll need it, and going "self-insured" after 90 days is probably the better decision on a $49 tablet.]

I didn't "asterisk and comment" on Amazon "quality" because this thing is not just superbly made, in terms of modern industrial standards, it is also beautiful, in a minimalist way, if you like matte black with just two silver accents (on-off and volume switches). The screen is high quality in terms of brightness, colors, and contrast, only limited by its 600p resolution, which straddles the mid-ground between now-dismal 480p DVD quality and entry-level 720p HD quality - most 32" flat panels are 720p, most desktop computer monitors are 1080p, and 40" and up tv monitors are slowly moving from 1080p to 4K.

In terms of Kindle or other reading, you get 172ppi which compares favorable to the 167ppi of all Kindles until the Paperwhite. Blue light sleep-interruption is no longer a problem with the 5.1.1 update to the "Bellini" operating system version (comparable to Android Lollipop). There is now a reading feature called "Blue Shade" which dims the blue-component of the backlight, preventing melatonin interference due to reading in the late evening by blue light, which is the type most tablets are full of. Your normal videos aren't affected, there is a switch in the Notifications drop-down menu for turning Blue Shade on or off (you can use it on websites and in other apps thanks to including it as a global setting and not a setting limited to Kindle only).

You can complain that storage is limited to 8gb, and you'd be right to complain - prior Fire tablet owners had no micro-SD expansion options. That changes with the Fire 7, the first Amazon Fire tablet that takes a micro-SD care. (I recommend the 32gb, Class 10 SanDisk for about $12). You might not need one, if you mostly use the cloud for storage. You have about 3.5 gb of available storage (the operating system and pre-installed apps eat up the rest).

THIS $49 TABLET IS A TREAT FOR FREQUENT FLYERS/TRAVELERS/CAFE DENIZENS. Put a good 8 digit PIN on it and don't worry about theft or loss. It's just $49 - not $499! Erase it remotely, and go on about your business. $49 makes this a no-brainer for constant, casual, almost careless (carefree?) carry.

GMail isn't a problem, you can use the Amazon email app. If you are a big user of Google specific apps other than YouTube - say, Google Maps or Hangouts or Plus - you will run into the Google App Problem. You see, official Android HAS to include ALL (almost all) Google Apps AND put them on the front page (the key ones, anyway - Google first and foremost). That essentially turns Android tablets into a Google pipeline. While Amazon doesn't directly compete with Google (they sell stuff, Google advertises stuff), they were understandably miffed about selling an Amazon-branded tablet that would become a Google-centric tablet by default. So they did the perfectly acceptable Android open source community thing - they took the "open source, non-Google-fied" version of Android - which Android and Google make freely available to the open source community as part of public relations - and built their own "front door" on top of it.

That, non-tech readers, is why the Amazon tablet runs Fire OS and not Android - even though, under the hood, it IS Android, which is a good thing due to all the apps and software developer support for Android.

What it means for you, the consumer, is a Amazon-centric tablet instead of a Google-centric tablet. Amazon apps are front and center. You use the Amazon App Store for almost all the same apps available to Android users. Apps are easy to "port" to FireOS - remember, under the hood, FireOS IS Android - just Android without the Google bloat.

Me, I have both Fire tablets (the HD 6 and his Fire 7), but mostly use Android not Fire OS since I'm a big user of Google apps.

BUT I have friends who swear by Amazon as a shopping and almost "life-style destination" website, and are happy as clams to have the value of a Fire 7 tablet and just ignore the Google limitations. I mean, you don't see Google selling $49 Android tablets, do you? When they did the Nexus 9 tablet last year, the most recent Android tablet branded by Google, it was a heart-breaking $399 - even though the Nexus 9 is essentially a Google store front.

So back to that lack of Google apps thing. Some people will tell you tricks to get Google apps to load, but if you are buying an Amazon tablet in the first place, you probably don't want to deal with that. THE SIMPLE FIX IS USE THE WEB BROWSER BUILT-INTO YOUR FIRE 7 TABLET. Yup, the old web-browser trick - gives you access to Google Maps (but not for turn-by-turn mobile voice directions, of course!), official Google Mail site, Google Plus - well, just about everything except voice calls via Hang Outs.

WHERE THE FIRE 7 STANDS OUT FOR NON-FREQUENT FLYERS ETC., IS SECURE EMAIL AND SECURE ACCESS TO BANK AND CREDIT CARD SITES FOR GRANDMA AND GRANDPA. Remember, Amazon and Fire OS are good for security (please don't use a 4 digit PIN, or repeat numbers!). For $49, you can't beat this for internet for the less-technically demanding user. Plus, they can easily shop on Amazon, and easily read their Kindle purchases. Which, let's face it, is a big part of modern American life, now.

Who is this not good for? Well, first, it's probably "good" for almost everyone...at $49. Most people have multiple devices these days. But, Android users who are technically-oriented are probably going to "hate" on Amazon tablets for being so ... Amazonian. And Apple owners will probably consider Amazon tablets (and Android too, for good measure) below their dignity. In the past, customers objecting to paying $300 or so for an Amazon-centric shopping kiosk-on-a-tablet had a good point. I had to argue myself into buying the HD6 on grounds it filled a niche - 6" - that no one else filled, and had superb video quality for my Netflix subscription. BUT WITH THE $49 PRICE POINT, just buy it! See if you like it!

At $49 you should avoid the internecine tablet wars. Just get this tablet and know its probably safer than a cheap, no-name Android tablet, and a heck of a lot cheaper than anything Apple (you knew that already, right?). Amazon might be "giving this away" like old-time shavers - so you buy the blades - or like inkjet printers, so you buy the inkjet cartridges. But everyone has to shave, right? And (almost) everyone has to print, right? Just enjoy the absolute craziness of a GOOD $49 tablet.

Cheapskates can wait until next Black Friday/Cyber Monday for another $34.95 sale. And tech perfectionists can wait for the 720p version in what - say - 2-3 years? Because that tech armageddon (for the competition) will come one day, I assure you.

Microsoft Wireless All-In-One Media Keyboard (N9Z-00001)
Microsoft Wireless All-In-One Media Keyboard (N9Z-00001)
Price: $27.95
82 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, except space bar misses sometimes. Trackpad works well., December 20, 2015
I had one of the earlier editions of the Logitech counterpart to this keyboard - keyboard with trackpad built-in, on the end of the keyboard - and had low expectations based on my experience with the Logitech.

Happily, this Microsoft All-in-One is a great keyboard. The keys feel nice and I never miss a keystroke - BUT I do miss strokes on the space bar. It requires a firmer push than I am used to on my former Apple factory bluetooth keyboard.

I was also worried that this keyboard might miss initial keystrokes, or miss keystrokes in general, but it has never failed to transmit key strokes right away, even after periods of inactivity.

Finally, the trackpad is passable. I am used to the superb Apple Bluetooth Trackpad, and to superb trackpads on some Chromebooks. This built-in trackpad on a sub-$27 all-in-one simply isn't in that league. BUT it is good. I routinely 2-finger scroll, and it is smooth, single tap (anywhere) for a single click, double tap for a right click - it doesn't miss a beat. Having the trackpad built-in has a hidden benefit - it's always where you left it last time, relative to your keyboard. If you move your keyboard a little now and then, the distance to the trackpad is the same. I was always fussing with the location of the Apple Trackpad, and it's orientation. Here, fixed and attached is a Good Thing in terms of "handiness."

I SEE A BRIGHT FUTURE FOR THIS FOR TRAVEL. I had a Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard, and it failed the travel test - although it had a removable key cover that doubled as a folding stand for a tablet, it was heavy, and missed keystrokes when waking up. Plus, obviously, it didn't have a built-in trackpad; for a Windows tablet you had to carry a separate mouse or revert to touch. THINK ABOUT IT, THROUGH TSA - with this keyboard and a Surface 3, or cheap 8" Windows tablet, you don't have to remove your "laptop" for inspection.

I didn't like the idea of more "2.4ghz airwave pollution" with this keyboard - that's the same frequency as my wifi router - but I got this to work with a Lenovo Ideacenter Stick 300 (a Lenovo branded version of the Intel Compute Stick), and Lenovo warned that Bluetooth keyboards would not work as well as 2.4 ghz transmitter based keyboards/mice. (Reviewers have confirmed glitches when running Bluetooth mice and keyboards with Compute Sticks, wifi and BT are on the same daughter board and can't handle the combined volume of traffic.)

So that's it. No lights to indicate Caps Lock, no backlighting, neither was expected by me.

Nexus 5 Case, Ringke [Slim] Snug-Fit Slender [Tailored Cutouts] Ultra-Thin Side to Side Edge Coverage Superior Coating PC Hard Skin for Nexus 5 - SF Black
Offered by Ringke Official Store
Price: $25.00
3 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, perfectly slim, December 16, 2015
Superbly thin hard plastic case for Nexus 5. Minimal corner protection if you drop your phone, but perfect for keeping my fingers off the camera lens. Also I can now set the phone down screen first, the edge of the Ringke is slightly raised on the front.

xhorizon TM Texture Leather PULL TAB Pouch Sleeve Bag Case Cover For iPhone Samsung LG model
Offered by XHORIZON

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits "naked phone" (4s-5s) perfectly, too snug for any TPU or polycarb case on the phone, December 9, 2015
Very nicely made, simple case. Snug enough to hold a 4s and 5s WITHOUT a TPU or polycarb case already on it - the phone won't accidentally fall out.

WILL NOT ACCEPT A 4s or 5s or 5c IF IT ALREADY HAS ANY CASE AT ALL ON IT, even an ultra-thin polycarb or just a "bumper."

Warrior-King of Shambhala: Remembering Chogyam Trungpa
Warrior-King of Shambhala: Remembering Chogyam Trungpa
by Jeremy W. Hayward
Price: $18.21
69 used & new from $2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, November 29, 2015
Warts and all view of one of the renowned Vajrayana teachers of the last century. Absolutely necessary read this to avoid the extremes of (1) going gaga over a charismatic teacher vs. (2) being too untrusting and cynical to make a connection that leads to any real progress.

The Friendly Swede Bundle of 6 Universal Capacitive Touch Screen Stylus Pens + 2 x 15" Lanyards/Strings + Cleaning Cloth in Retail Packaging (Black + White + Silver)
Offered by The Friendly Swede
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, mine had defective chrome clip coating and Friendly Swede reached out to me right away, November 29, 2015
Excellent phone/tablet stylii at bargain prices. These are soft tips that will register on modern phones and tablets, not "hard plastic tipped" stylii from old Palm Pilot days.

I bought two sets to make sure I would have plenty (I figured they would wear out) but the chrome plating on the clip was the only thing that wore off on my daily-user after months of use. I'm more likely to lose these, one at a time, than wear them out - I carry one in my shirt pocket all every day, with a spare on my desk to save clipping/unclipping, these are so handy for operating my phone and tablet without smearing the screen all the time with my fingerprints.

I hope Friendly Swede moves to plain black plastic for the clip, upper ring, and "push button" (which is really an extension to allow you to attach one of the included lanyards), but for cosmetic reasons I see why they went with the chrome plating on the plastic to mimic a metal clip Still, I wish the include one or two "non-plated" ones in their generous 6 pack.

(The only "all metal" alternative is the Amazon Basics stylus which is much, much more expensive for only one pen, plus the actual stylus tip on the Amazon Basics doesn't work as well for me).

I will report back when I receive the courtesy replacement set they promised me. It took a while for the plating to wear off the original one I used, so I will be back here in about 3-6 months with an update.

BTW, an inexpensive set like this is a better investment than the single Amazon Basics - as I write this updated review, I realize that I can't even remember where I last set down the Amazon Basics stylus! Truth is, you are more likely to misplace a stylus than to wear it out. Friendly Swede is built for long-term use, but priced like a disposable.

2nd BTW if at first you have trouble getting this or the Amazon Basics to register a tap - or conversely not to unintentionally activate a link while scrolling down a page with your stylus - don't give up. It's a question of getting used to the amount of pressure to put on the tip. I had the same problem dialing in my finger-tip tapping and swiping when I got my first smartphone. These work, once you get the hang of them!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2015 8:24 AM PST

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4-Inches (10 Centimeters) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, thicker cable than Apple's, but snug fit into some cases, November 29, 2015
It's Amazon Basics - solidly made. Nice and short, shortest I could find. Won't fit the port with some cases (non-Apple) that fit tightly around the Lightning port.

PortaPow Specialised 3.3ft 20AWG Charge Only Micro USB Cable for Blackberry, OnePlus One, HTC One, Google Nexus, Asus Transformer, Dell Venue, Other Fast Charging Devices
Offered by PortaPow UK
Price: $7.49
3 used & new from $6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my 5 PortaPows has a slightly undersized, hence loose, tip, November 29, 2015
I have several PortaPow cables, but this particular one has a loose fit in my micro-USB ports. At first I though the excessive wiggle when inserted was the tablet's problem but with other cables I don't have the fit issue.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20