Profile for K. Robertson > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1912

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Robertson RSS Feed (southern Virginia)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Chopped Cookbook: Use What You've Got to Cook Something Great
The Chopped Cookbook: Use What You've Got to Cook Something Great
by Food Network Kitchen
Price: $18.09
75 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel more edumacated about food now., June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most cookbooks don't educate. I love that this one teaches you the bare basics of how to cook with factors such as "richness" and "brightness" in mind...those things that judges on the show talk about, but I never understood very well. There is a section at the beginning of the book that I found very helpful entitled "What Makes a Winning Dish?"' and then followed by pantry stock-up suggestions with the goal in mind of having your dishes meet the basics that the judges are looking for. I'm not known for "balance" in my cooking but I'm working on it.

Recipes are very simple as far as ingredients, which I think is in keeping with the show, as chefs need to work with what they have. The book also includes questions answered by the judges and the host, tips and techniques on side bars, and lovely photos of recipes.

No, it's not a cookbook about competition as is the show, l but I think it's an excellent companion.

Granite Ware 0730-2 Pressure Canner/Cooker/Steamer, 20-Quart
Granite Ware 0730-2 Pressure Canner/Cooker/Steamer, 20-Quart
Price: $71.99
12 used & new from $71.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An updated "old-fashioned" pressure cooker/canner., June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pressure cooker and canner is an update/upgrade from the traditional "rattling" ones, in that it is made a light weight anodized aluminum, but still has that weighted valve...actually two...that rattle when proper pressure is achieved. This a huge capacity canner and can hold up to 7 quart jars. Not only can can beans, tomatoes, peaches, etc., but you can make a huge pot roast in this thing....I love multi-tasking kitchen equipment. And beyond that, I made a huge batch of soup on the stove, using it as a large stockpot (without the lid and pressure).

One thing that other reviewers haven't mentioned is how hard the lid is to get on for someone like myself with limited strength and arthritis in my hands. I have to literally put in much lower than my body and lean on it to get it twisted into place. At least you know the seal is tight! You can actually hear the air escaping as you push down on the lid and the silicone seal does it's work.

Also I'm concerned that the coating on the interior where the lid twists on has already worn off in some places after several uses. I don't foresee that the coating on the inside where the rack fits will hold up with repeated use, and I don't like using cooking vessels with rubbed off coating.

Genuine Joe GJO02149 2-Ply Low Density Can Liner, 30 gallon Capacity, 0.70 mil Thickness, Black/Brown (Case of 250)
Price: $28.95
9 used & new from $25.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, but maybe this is what you want., June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are advertised as "low density" and that's just what they are. See-through, able to be punctured with just average effort, and with an oddly-shaped bottom that I see little use for, I can only think these bags are for paper shreds or something extremely light and bulky. There are no drawstring ties or flaps at the top, and no twist-ties included...a negative. I can't see these for home use, with normal everyday trash from the house, but I have seen businesses use very thin bags like this...personally, I thought it was being cheap and didn't impress me. Why not spring for bags that hide the balled up tissues, used paper cups, and candy wrappers?

I got a sample of 3 bags, and really I'm glad that I didn't get the advertised 250.

OXO Good Grips Bladed Meat Tenderizer
OXO Good Grips Bladed Meat Tenderizer
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How do I love thee...let me count the ways!, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love OXO...hands down, I must say. So I was happy to test out this meat tenderizer. I don't cook a lot of beef but my brothers do and this proved to be excellent at tenderizing steak, to my liking for sure. As others have stated, it works by breaking down the fibers in the meat without adding anything like meat tenderizing "powder" to it or having to marinate overnight...definitely a more natural alternative and a time-saving one as well. I never thought about using this for anything other than beef, but it works so well for chicken breasts. I just use this little thing on whatever meat I'm cooking, add whatever seasoning I like, and then start the cooking process. The needles are held up into the acrylic plate at the bottom until you press down and the indentation on the meat from that plate helps you to know where you have pierced the meat so you can move on and cover the entire surface. I love that the needles lock into place, via the button on the top, for storage and to be safe around kids.

A great, useful cooking tool! And, oh yes, it's easy to clean by taking the whole thing apart and is dishwasher safe.

Lorex BB1811 Wireless Baby Monitor with Color Screen and Talk-to-Baby Intercom, White
Price: $99.67
17 used & new from $76.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor but range is not as long as expected., June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the third monitor we have tried for our infant, and has proven to be the best overall. The two-way talk feature is so helpful to have even though our baby wakes up quietly and looks around for quite a time before really stirring....that's when it helps to have the camera to be able to check on her. She seems to like the little night light feature, so that's nice to have. Picture is clear, and night vision is good, even though monitor is small....gets the job done.

Other reviewers have mentioned of the features in detail, so I will just mention that the range is no where near where they state that it is. Going to the mailbox in the front of the yard shows that it is out of range. And going into the basement is not possible either. But other features, and just the general quality, of this monitor offset the range problem, and this is really a first rate monitor at a really good price.

Georgia-Pacific Compact 5679500 Translucent Smoke Compact Bathroom Tissue Dispenser and Angel Soft ps Starter Kit, 10-1/8" Width x 7-1/8" Height x 6-3/4" Depth
Price: $32.45
18 used & new from $24.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, you CAN use regular TP in this!, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First of all, I love this little thing.. I use it in my home bathroom...which is possible because it is so small and compact. It is simple to understand and use. There is a little key that opens it (I keep it taped underneath so I....or others...don't lose it), and the "guts" fall down so that rolls can be slipped on. Then snack back and place, lock, and you're ready to roll....literally.

I know this is used commercially (my Dr's office uses it), but I think it's cute enough and compact enough for home use, even though there are no designer colors available. (Georgia-Pacific??)

Right now, I have two rolls of Scott Extra Soft on the rollers....fit perfectly fine! I have used other rolls as well, so I imagine you might run across one or more that don't work with it, so I would maybe post here and ask someone before buying if you are concerned. I get my subscribe and save TP here on Amazon, so I think that price combined with how this little contraption keeps you from using too much and protects from frisky kittens and puppies, I'm being pretty economical. (Pause for applause.)

Nerf Sports Bash Ball (Navy)
Nerf Sports Bash Ball (Navy)
Price: $12.99
9 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Nerf toys!, May 25, 2014
This review is from: Nerf Sports Bash Ball (Navy) (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just being in the Nerf family is good enough for me to love this little ball. My 7 year old granddaughter really likes it, and she is not really into sports, so that says something. It is easy for small hands to handle since you can grip into it, and a small child has more control over a ball you can grasp like this. She has yet to "destroy" it, but then Nerf balls don't last a long time...that's their nature. They can be whipped and thrown all over the place, but they do develop tears and worn places. And the biggest advantage is that you're unlikely to get hurt with a Nerf ball! When this one wears out, she'll be getting another one!

gdiapers Gentle Baby Wipes (70 Count, Pack of 12)
gdiapers Gentle Baby Wipes (70 Count, Pack of 12)
Price: $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Other wipes are better...., May 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I appreciate that these wipes are supposed to be gentle on the skin, and don't use animal testing to make them. But they are different from other wipes in ways that make it difficult to really want to continue to buy them.

1. They are thin. You have to use 2 or 3 at a time to really get a messy job done, when just one of another brand would suffice.
2. They don't dispense from the package well...aggravating to pull out 3 or 4 when you just wanted one.
3. I don't "feel" the aloe that is supposed to be in them....not soothing at all.
4. They are just barely moist, whereas most wipes are "wet."

On the other hand, I do like that the package has a closeable flap that snaps back in place...handy when you're only using one hand.

All told, I won't buy these again.

Tidy Cat Scoop 24/7 Performance Light Weight Litter, 8.5-Pound, 2-Pack
Tidy Cat Scoop 24/7 Performance Light Weight Litter, 8.5-Pound, 2-Pack
Offered by PETZONEUSA
Price: $25.99
4 used & new from $25.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, just an average litter., May 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The lightweight property of this litter is wonderful...so easy to carry, and to pour into the litter box. Also, the clumping ability is quite good. However, as far as odor control and dust, it gets a low grade. The odor of the clean litter is nice and not overpowering, but once waste gets deposited in it from the cat, you can start to smell the "cat odor" pretty quickly. When cleaning the waste out, dust gets kicked up and fills the box....not good for me or for my cat. I don't think I'll get this litter again...my favorite so far is Precious Cat.

Hamilton Beach 34102 Portable Induction Cooktop
Hamilton Beach 34102 Portable Induction Cooktop
Price: $69.99
4 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great extra burner!, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my 1st induction cooktop, so I'm not experienced with this type appliance. However, I found this to be a wonderful way to add a extra burner to my stove, especially for holidays when I have lots of cooking going on. I did find that my favorite cookware (Lorena Garcia) won't work with induction cooking, after reading the manual, so those thinking about buying this product should keep that in mind. I use other cookware, though, that work just find on it...stainless steel, cast iron, enameled cast iron. I keep this unit on a cart and just roll up to the counter when I get ready to use it...I keep it covered with a cloth so keep dust off when not in use. Wish I had an induction full cooktop stove because heating up/cooking is faster and, really, more fun with induction. I can also not worry as much about my 7 year old granddaughter being around this unit and getting burned. Easy clean up (after it cools, of course) with a damp cloth. Love it!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2014 6:13 AM PDT