Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD
Profile for juuul > Reviews

Browse

juuul's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

juuul RSS Feed

Hoover Platinum Collection Lightweight Bagged Upright with Canister, UH30010COM
Hoover Platinum Collection Lightweight Bagged Upright with Canister, UH30010COM
Price: $299.99
41 used & new from $167.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum Cleaner, June 5, 2010
This happy purchase was made in April 2010; after 2 months of use, my experience is that the features and performance have exceeded my expectations. And the price is excellent for the quality and completeness of features provided. Given this positive experience after my initial and strong opposition to buying another Hoover Wind Tunnel, I wanted to share this with others.

PRIOR BAD EXPERIENCE: About 9 years ago, I bought a Hoover Wind Tunnel. It was twice the price of this model and so awful (all kinds of breakdowns from the first use--belt fell off repeatedly, handle broke off in my hand, etc.) that I was immediately and seriously opposed to the Hoover Wind Tunnel brand... and after struggling too long with it, I simply threw it away when I moved out of the state. For my new home, I bought an inexpensive, bagless Eureka -- which was OK then for the purpose (I had all hardwood floors plus oriental (area) rugs, was in a hurry, and was not going to stay there very long). But having moved again, now in a home with wall to wall carpet, I wanted to replace the modest Eureka with a serious vacuum cleaner. I did a lot of research to find a new lightweight, bagged (my great preference) upright vacuum cleaner, and I found there were not very many lightweight, bagged vacuums on the market. This model turned out to be the only cleaner that seemed to meet my needs--but for my prior bad experience. Fortunately I found on the Internet a review which mentioned that Hoover sub-contracts the manufacturing of their vacuum cleaners and that due to past quality problems, Hoover had changed their sub-contractor. (Review didn't say when the "bad" period started and stopped.) So I decided to give this model a chance.... and when the product arrived and I first used it, I was happy I had found that information and given this model a chance.

Points of note:
(1) UPRIGHT:
BASICS:
WEIGHT: At this writing, I think that the weight shown in Amazon's product description (5 lbs) is not correct for the upright. I vaguely recall from my research that it is about twice that... about 3 lbs. heavier than the one I was replacing. Assuming 11 pounds, I worried it might be harder to push than I wanted. However, it is easier to push than I expected.... it feels as if it has a slight self-powered action. (My old Wind Tunnel advertised that feature, which was fine till it broke after a month.)

ERGONOMICS: The ergonomics (handle shape, angle, height button and pedal placement; etc.) are pretty traditional--no gimmicks--and comfortable and work well.

CLEANING ABILITY: My home does not suffer much in the way of dirt stains or buried soil (e. g., dirt & sand as may be tracked in on shoes...) so I cannot speak to that.... I do have lots of "fluff" (edges of paper from unpacking, etc.) so I can easily see what is getting picked up. The advertised "special edge-cleaning function" is pretty much two little brushes extending from the sides... not as big a deal as one might think from the marketing piece. However the edge-cleaning function works as well or better than any vacuum I have had. The one design element that Hoover could improve on would be the leading edge height of cleaner body/motor -- it would be nice if it could taper to a shallower depth so it would go under more pieces of my furniture. However, as this is not a common feature in vacuum cleaners, I would not lower the 5-star rating for this.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
AUTO-CARPET-HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT: My favorite--and surprise--feature was auto-carpet-height adjustment. The wall-to-wall carpet in my current home is overlaid with numerous hand-knotted oriental rugs, varying from deep Tibetan wool pile to luxurious but delicate, thin silk pile. Almost all of these rugs are finished with the natural warp "fringe," which greatly adds to the challenge of vacuuming these beautiful works of textile art.

In this regard, this vacuum cleaner has functionality even better than expected: (1) It happily goes from carpet to rug to carpet without having to make a manual carpet-height adjustment. (2) I have rolled it right up to the fringe edge of these area rugs, and it has yet to try to suck even a single strand of fringe into the roller brush. Amazing! With all my prior vacuum cleaners, I could barely vacuum even near the edge of the fringe ... it always seemed that no matter how carefully I place the cleaner, the fringe would get sucked into the vacuum cleaner. And this is not because the suction or the roller brush are inadequate. The cleaning performance is as good or better than any cleaner I have used: after being vacuumed, the various levels of my carpet and rugs looked suitably "fluffed" -- neither beaten from too much roller brush action nor "unfluffed," a sign of insufficent action.

(2) CANNISTER: Providing a cannister as part of the "set" is a better solution than the way my previous cleaners which delivered the "wand" & tools functionality. In those cases, the upright came with "on-board" tools, which could be attached to a hose attached to the upright and one could divert the suction from the roller brush to the tubing. However, I never found it to be a very convenient solution as it required one to always have to clumsily drag around the upright. I greatly prefer this solution. As it is not meant for heavy "shop-vac" duty, the cannister is small and lightweight...just what is needed for its specialized uses: cleaning ceilings, inside sofas, under beds, etc.

I think the extension tubing for the wand was slightly shorter than others I have had... but since the cannister is totally portable, one can easily adapt.

In summary, I am very pleased wtih this purchase, and if this vacuum cleaner offers the features desired, I would encourage anyone to consider it, and especially anyone who had a bad experiences with a Hoover Wind Tunnel around 10 (+-) years ago.

Australia
Australia
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: $5.00
310 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "Australia" as seen from another point of view, November 2, 2009
This review is from: Australia (DVD)
I did not see this in theatres on release as the trailers made it look like a big, overly wrought romance... a la Gone with the Wind meets Cimarron and not my cup of tea. Nor am I a fan of Nicole Kidman, so no appeal there. And when I finally saw it, I found it nothing like I expected nor was it much like many of the other reviewers have portrayed. Yes, it used broad, almost stereo-typed characters to carry the "Anglo" story line, and yes, there were actions in the movie that required the "willing suspension of disbelief"; that hardly seems unusual.

However, the thing that made the movie unusual in a most positive way was the telling of the story from the point of view of the racially-mixed "outcast" little boy, Nullah. This introduced an entirely different point of view, signficantly, at least for Americans, of the characters and the story line. While I do not pretend to know much about aboriginal culture, the concepts and importance of "singing" and "stories" were presented sufficiently well to open up the ideas to the large portion of the American audience which likely is unfamiliar with this. A number of strong and appealing cultural ideas were referenced or illustrated either in the dialog / actions of the aboriginal characters or occasionally the brief comments of "The Drover": the geographical mapping of the aborigines through "singing" (music); the importance of one's story and how one connects to the "tribe" / ancestors / universe through "singing" (stories). In fact, the word "sing" as used by Nullah and The Drover in the movie clearly has a richer meaning in this aboriginal context, one which cannot easily be translated directly into American English and which is worth exploring.

I thought Jackman did well in a role that called for a man's man--in American movies cowboys are not too chatty, either...men of action, mostly defined by showing up and doing, so I remain puzzled that other reviewers thought Jackman was too silent. However, the actors that stole the show were the aboriginal actors. Uncle George was marvelous and mystical throughout--totally elegant, grounded, and convincing as the shaman "singing" (guiding with knowledge) his charges through the desert. The Drover's brother-in-law was excellent, playing his role with a quiet dignity.

But this movie was Nullah's story, from beginning to end, and the beautiful Brandon Walters is a revelation as to what a pure talent can produce when given the right chance; for that we can thank Mr. Luhrmann's effort to get that key role right. I do not know who actually did the singing (humming, chanting) which seemed to eminate from Nullah--if it was dubbed or done by Brandon Walters. But this movie has indelibly burned in my mind the earnest, trusting face with huge brown eyes in and the pure, musical tones of the child-mystic when Nullah utters this simple line (and variations on it): "I sing you to me." For this line alone, whether taken as a simple plot facilitator or as a greater metaphor, I would see this movie again and again.

Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Loudspeaker Dock System for iPod and MP3 Players
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Loudspeaker Dock System for iPod and MP3 Players

4.0 out of 5 stars Caveat for customers considering the Zeppelin..., September 6, 2008
At an Apple store I compared the Zeppelin with Polk I-sonic 2, thinking I would buy the Zeppelin. A surprising disadvantage for the Zeppelin is that the sound quality (base, richness, "effect," etc.) can NOT be controlled on the device itself; it can only be controlled if the device you are attaching has software with the ability to change "equalizer" (EQ) settings.

Initially the demo iPod sounded notably inferior on the Zeppelin compared to the Polk I-sonic 2 (next to it, playing same song). After a long time wasted trying to get the answer from the Apple staff, we were finally able to get the settings fixed via demo iPod so sound was no longer thin.

While my Zen Vision M player does have internal EQ software, I did not have the right connectors with me to try it with the Zeppelin to see if the settings got the results that I would want. Since the Zeppelin seems overly focused on attaching to an iPod, if you plan to use an MP3 player with EQ settings, I would suggest testing it out to see if the results translate well for you.

In comparison, the Polk I-sonic has EQ settings built into the Polk unit. So anyone who values the choice of using a music player that does not feature its own EQ software (smaller MP3 players, CD players--maybe even the tiny iPods as I don't know how much software they have) should be aware of this disadvantage of the Zeppelin compared to other systems like the Polk I-sonic 2.

Since this discovery stopped my from buying the Zeppelin, I wanted to share this with others as it might save some customers disappointment or unnecessary frustration.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2008 9:09 PM PST

BALLROOM DANCING: The International Championships
BALLROOM DANCING: The International Championships
DVD ~ Donnie Burns
Price: $10.79
20 used & new from $6.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected or Wanted, March 10, 2007
This is not the "International" in a classic London venue; it is a competition in Ostrava in a lack-lustre setting resembling a 1/4-filled gymnasium. The DVD production resembles an old home video: camera-work is mediocre, video quality (touted as "enhanced") is poor, sound quality is poor--on top of a very weak music presentation from the venue itself. Having seen in person most of these couples dance at better venues, this DVD did not do them justice. In short, it is a poor-quality production displaying the end of the era of British-defined/dominated International style competition ballroom dancing. I was greatly disappointed and would not recommend it.

The Triple Whammy Cure: The Breakthrough Women's Health Program for Feeling Good Again in 3 Weeks
by David Edelberg
50 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is Superb, January 25, 2006
This book is truly outstanding. It brings together current, insightful information about topics that are critical for some women but nearly impossible to get quality medical acknowledgement of, let alone constructive advice on. The book offers an integrative medical approach to understanding and treatment of the very debilitating but surprisingly commmon ailments covered; there is every validation of the person's individual experience as defining the ailment as well as the cure and no presumption that one size fits all, either in terms of symptoms or solutions. This book brings both hope and direction to understanding and fixing these problems. And, if that weren't enough, the writing conveys such warmth and is so accessible that it is, indeed, a genuine pleasure to read the book. I began it one evening and did not move from my chair for 7 hours while I completed the book in one sitting (and I am a fairly slow reader). In my opinion, there is no better book on the subject, and this book is a must read for anyone who is interested in any or all parts of the subject. You will immediately feel better for knowing that you are understood at last!