Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for TexRex96 > Reviews

Browse

TexRex96's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TexRex96 RSS Feed (Chicago)

Page: 1 | 2
Canon PIXMA MG5220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One (4502B017)
Canon PIXMA MG5220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One (4502B017)
9 used & new from $32.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid -- Manufacturer's Defect Disables Printer, December 9, 2014
This entire line of Canon printers has a known defect called the U052 "printhead" error. A large number of users will experience it. Essentially, it renders the printer inoperable, and it's only possibly repairable, if taken in for service. Shortly after this purchase I experienced U052 firsthand, and the printer was toast. Thinking it was my own fault for using third-party cartridges (Sophia brand), I rolled the dice on a second Canon Pixma printer and upgraded to the MG5320. This one, too, succumbed to the U052 error within a year.

Turning to the internet for clues, I was stunned to learn this is a well-known problem in their firmware, that Canon has done little about it, and that there's even been talk of a class action lawsuit. There is not many times I've felt misled and ripped off by a prestigious brand, but this is certainly one of them; this misadventure with Canon has cost me a lot of money. Further, there has been little coverage of the problem by so-called expert reviewers, but you can get the scoop by searching "U052 printhead error" and the like.

Malin + Goetz Detox Face Mask-4 oz
Malin + Goetz Detox Face Mask-4 oz
5 used & new from $69.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped & Over-priced:, August 25, 2012
I'm not a huge mask guy, but I like one every month or so. When I went to my local retailer and asked for a good one, the guys gushed about this product. Award-winning, Product of the Year, etc. It's clearly the darling of the M+G line these days. I was game.

First off, it smells like Grandma -- specifically, Rose Milk. I applied liberally, as instructed. Unlike most masks, yet consistent with this line, it went on smoothly and lightly. As advertised, it soon began "working on" my face, but uncomfortably so (itchy). While every retailer I spoke to insisted that this was the product actively removing impurities, it really just felt like a ticklish, surface sensation. I was also told repeatedly that that wiping it off was optional -- odd instruction for a mask, but the product resolved on my face in caked patterns, so wiping it off was necessary. After the 5 minutes recommended, all rinsed off, I can say that unlike even inexpensive clay masks, my face felt no different. I've since tried it two more times with the same disappointing results.

Perhaps I simply didn't need a mask. Or maybe it's more for women than for men. But more likely I suspect this product is a poser -- a silly concept for a men's mask that somehow captured the imagination of skin care critics. I love this line, but for me this is a rare miss. While I use three other M+G products, I would rate this one as ineffective. I understand others have had success, but it didn't do anything for me, so I'd just say beware, guys. For M+G, I'd stick to the face serums, eye treatments, and body products.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 11:42 AM PDT

Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500 GB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive
Offered by The Bobbin Head, LLC
Price: $155.00
6 used & new from $50.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks cool -- otherwise, terrible., February 10, 2011
I thought an external hard drive would be easy. I just wanted it to schedule regular back-ups reliably, that's all. In short, this boss-looking drive physically failed after 18 months (my Mac stopped recognizing it, the power button failed, and the drive began making clicking noises). During its short, cantankerous life, I struggled with its user-hostile "WD Anywhere Backup" software. Both scheduling and managing back-ups with this software was oddly complicated, and I never really figured it out. Software updates were difficult to install, and the "background service" notably slowed the operation of my Mac OS. Oh, and the email support on their site is never functional. In fact, they anticipate this, and give you an option to save your question in a text file and email them directly (to which they have never responded). My impression is that the WD brand is geared towards IT professionals, and not every-day folks looking for a simple back-up. Pass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big bucks, but it delivers, November 6, 2010
Sumotech is the good stuff... It's expensive, and you don't always get what you pay for in this pricey category full of posers and designer nonsense. But this product has proven itself over and over again, at least for my hair, which is short and on the fine side. Sumotech gives me great hold with optimal flexibility and styling. It's relatively light, doesn't overwhelm my hair or clump, and it's tough enough to stand up to the elements all day.

1.0 out of 5 stars There is little Hope for this product, November 5, 2010
This product does little of what it says. It comes out of the canister overly treated with the cleansing agent, which in turn ends up streaking all over your appliance (in my case, a Whirlpool refrigerator). You have to go over it a second time -- very carefully -- with a neutral cloth in order to avoid heavy streaking when it dries. And it also had difficulty with a hand print. The first two applications did not remove it; I finally worked it out with the third. A product like this should be effortless and effective. This one is neither. This product is so bad I'm returning it on principle despite the relatively low cost.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Everyone..., September 9, 2009
JB makes some good products, but Beard Lube isn't one of them. I bought it once and hated it, but after reading these glowing reviews and being a fan of their excellent Face Buff, I gave it a second try. Both times, the same experience:

It has a light and fresh feel, but it's too thin for me. It's watery, clear, and does not grip the skin. I found it difficult to know where I had applied it, and consequently, I often shaved the same spot several times which caused minor irritation. In other spots, my new blade would hydroplane right over the stubble, again requiring repeat passes. Every time I used this product I'd touch my face later in the day, and find a rough spot that I missed in the morning.

Beard Lube isn't for me, but obviously, a lot of folks love the stuff. I recommend reading the reviews and the label carefully to see if it suits your shaving style, first.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2011 2:49 PM PST

Rembrandt Deeply White Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste Mint, 2.6 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $21.35
14 used & new from $16.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, Deceptive Packaging, August 17, 2009
I agree with the comments on packaging. When I took the tube out of the box it was pleasantly plump, as if there was more product than I thought. On first use, I squeezed for a long time before any product came out. That's because the tube is full of air. After your first use, it will look like the tube is more than half empty -- a very poor customer experience. The toothpaste taste refreshing and my teeth felt nice afterward, but the whitening capabilities of Rembrandt do not seem any better than store brands at a little over half the price. My net impression is that Rembrandt may be a decent toothpaste, but it is still a rip-off.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2011 4:06 AM PDT

1.0 out of 5 stars Ineffective & difficult to use, November 23, 2008
In the year I've had the Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber, I've never been able to clean much of anything on my short, berber-style carpet. My main gripe with the product is a little different than others cited here; if you look at the angled, circular scrubber itself, you can see that about 80% of it is recessed inside the casing. That means most of the scrubber never touches the carpet during operation. So a very small area of the scrubber actually scrubs the carpet, and even then, only the ends of the bristles reach it. In short, the unit has very little cleaning power, leaving it ineffective for short carpets or bigger spills.

Walking Into Clarksdale
Walking Into Clarksdale
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $9.52
191 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Legends Survive Trip to Clarksdale -- Pictures at Eleven, March 14, 2001
This review is from: Walking Into Clarksdale (Audio CD)
When I first heard Jimmy and Robert were producing original material together for the first time since the break-up of the mighty Led Zeppelin, I winced. After all, we've seen the old-rockers-try-again formula before, and it usually doesn't work. But Plant and Page avoid that pitfall with a meticulously crafted album that shows they still care. Radio hit "Most High" takes the long-standing interest in Middle Eastern sounds to new heights, while "Please Read the Letter" and the title track experiment with very cool arrangements and innovative structures. "When the World Was Young" is one of the more vibrant and complete tracks. "Upon a Golden Horse" and "Burning Up" rock, though Robert's voice shows a little wear here and there. Most Zeppelin moment: The first touch of the guitar shortly into "Blue Train" - my favorite track -- is unmistakable Page, and the ensuing effort could be "Tea for One" Part II. Second Zep moment: "Shine in the Light" sounds like a cross between "Friends" and "Poor Tom," yet stands beautifully on its own. Overall this is not Led Zeppelin, but of course it could never be. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts though, and like Plant's own first solo effort, "Pictures at Eleven," this CD is not a classic but it's quite solid. I'd put "Clarksdale" above anything Page has done post-Zep, and right up their with Robert's best solo jaunts.

Volume One
Volume One
61 used & new from $1.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A taste of honey's worse than none at all..., November 23, 2000
This review is from: Volume One (Audio CD)
I think Smokey Robinson first sang that line in "Second That Emotion." That's true here, because after you listen to this one you'll want more than five songs, and you'll want Volume II. Whether you're a Led Zep fanatic intrigued by another Plant/Page pet project, or a nostalgic type attracted to the crooning vocals and big band sound, this is a keeper. I'm the former, and I have to say Robert Plant's vocals are transcending. Yes, it's the guy who sang "Whole Lotta Love" leading the Spectoresque wall of duop sound in the first track here, "I Get a Thrill." The Phil Phillips classic, "Sea of Love," is covered nicely, minus the bouncy strumming: It sounds like Page & Co. took an iron to the Phillips track and the resulting radio hit is smoother than, well, dripping honey. "Rockin' at Midnight" is unleashed big band fun, and "I Got A Woman" does fine justice to the Ray Charles effort. And on "Young Boy Blues," Robert's voice is ethereal, matching his "Sea" try and reminiscent of earlier croons with and without Led Zeppelin, like "I'm Gonna Crawl" and "Big Log." Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and company show that great rock musicians are great musicians, period. The string sections, big band sound, beautiful arrangements, and gorgeous guitar solos underscore the tremendous talent that recreated this music. It's true that Volume I was intended to be released without the artists' identities, but fat chance with such a fine ensemble. The CD is lush, well produced, and easy to listen to. My only gripe here is that I wanted more, and indeed Volume II was never to be. Still, I must recommend it -- if you don't like it, I assure you that someone else you know will.

Page: 1 | 2