Profile for Lost In 80's > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lost In 80's "Lost In 80's" RSS Feed (Melbourne, AU)

The Conservative Revolution
The Conservative Revolution
by Cory Bernardi
Price: $3.21
27 used & new from $3.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Joking aside this books needs your consideration, January 7, 2014
When I clicked on 5 stars Amazon pops up the comment that "I love it" - to be clear I most certainly don't (OK I haven't read it but I've seen plenty of quotes and heard Senator Bernardi defend his views).

So why did I give this book 5 starts? Because it needs to be read, ideally by all Australian voters, but if not certainly by those voters in South Australia who checked the box "Liberal Party" on their Senate ballot paper. Did you really know what you were getting here? If you did we have no hope, if by reading this book you now understand what you're getting and are a little or more than a little concerned then hopefully next time your exercise your democratic right you'll do the right thing and check elsewhere.

Let's put some context on this, firstly it's 2014, not 1014 when you wouldn't expect to be surprised by what is being presented here. Secondly let's pretend for a moment that this book was written by say someone in Afghanistan, you wouldn't be surprised then would you, you'd kind of expect it. Many of the views (I've seen quoted) would fit right in there. Didn't we just get really concerned about all that, particularly those relating to women, and didn't we try to clean all that up?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 6:57 PM PST

Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS-Enabled Sport Watch
Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS-Enabled Sport Watch
Offered by Clever Training
Price: $239.99
26 used & new from $217.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Extra modes and undocumented features and woeful CS, September 21, 2013
Hmmm, what to say about the ever reliable well supported Garmin 910xt? Well let's start with some of its undocumented modes.

For example, "summary mode". In this mode you get no detail recording, just total distance and time, and there's no averages or maxes either. In this mode the Garmin 910xt won't communicate with Garmin Training Centre, so you can just record distance and time yourself in Training Peaks or the like.

"I refuse to recognise external devices mode", examples would be heart rate monitor, cadence sensors, etc.

And the third, most useful undocumented mode "I refuse to record any data on your activity whatsoever" mode. Yes you guessed it, it's like the activity didn't take place at all.

These modes are quite random, the Garmin 910xt will flip in and out of them as it sees fit, you have no control over activation of these modes, there's nothing you can do to get the 910xt out of one of these modes when it gets into one. Don't worry at some point it will just return to "normal".

What to do about these, as these didn't feature in any of the sales blurb from Garmin and actually these modes aren't really that helpful are they. Ah yes, you can completely waste your time and contact Garmin. If you're lucky enough to get a response, usually after a couple of weeks, it's a one line do something drastic suggestion, like "uninstall the Ant agent software, uninstall Training Centre, update 910xt with latest firmware (btw, it was updated and part of that update introduced some of these new modes)", and the very helpful "this is not a feature we're familiar with (feature??!!) check the support forums".

I've had previous models which have been much more reliable (but unfortunately these broke), this is not an upgrade it's a downgrade, it's painful when something goes wrong, you can forget any kind of helpful suggestion from customer service (I'm convinced they don't care one bit), and it's not reliable - imagine if the 910xt flipped into one of these modes just before a long course tri as an example.

1 star does not do this experience justice - it should be zero or negative.

ASICS Men's GEL-Noosa Tri 8 Running Shoe
ASICS Men's GEL-Noosa Tri 8 Running Shoe
Price: $49.00 - $136.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't race in these shoes in a triathlon, not good for training either, December 22, 2012
Don't buy these shoes if you were planning on using them in a triathlon, there are some serious issues. The tongue is not rigid enough and the stitching between the tongue and upper is poorly designed. This means it takes more time than it should to get the shoes on in transition and when you do likely the tongue will be folded. This makes the shoes uncomfortable to wear and more uncomfortable to run in.

I received these shoes today (21 Dec 2012) and put them through their paces together with my triathlon trainer (who's an ITU world champ) over a 90 minute period. I've used previous Asics Noosas and these new ones, number 8's, are not an improvement, 6's are better to train in, and the best to race in are the T919N's (Noosa 4's I think).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2013 9:47 AM PST

A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
by Chrissie Wellington
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars IF this was fiction you would not believe it, May 6, 2012
This is a great book, well written and fast paced - I finished it quickly and wished it had been longer. I'd recommend it to anyone, particularly those who participate in or follow triathlon, or its constituent sports.

What Chrissie Wellington achieved in her 5 short professional years in what many consider to be the toughest of endurance sports, Ironman, is nothing short of astonishing. If this were a work of fiction, if someone was to create a character that won every Ironman race they entered, you'd say interesting story, but that just doesn't happen. But Chrissie's story is fact and likely her record will never be bettered; no-one she's competed against in all those races will achieve what she has, because they lost to her, at least once, someone new will have to come along. Look at other sports and it's hard to find anyone with a comparable record, or to find someone who has won by the margins she has.

How Chrissie ended up dominating Ironman makes for compelling reading. Her early years hint at nothing significant to follow; nothing outstanding sporting wise, and often illness caused by her obsessions seemingly would have blighted her achievements. Her journey in life does expose her to environments and experiences considered to be beneficial to the sport; high altitudes and the opportunity to fuel her voracious appetite for very long bike rides. However what comes through again and again in this book is her immense driving force. It's her monumental mind over matter approach and dedication to do what is needed that is the difference and there's much here to learn and apply to all aspects of life, not just endurance sports.

I couldn't get enough of this book, it went by too fast. I felt like I gained a friend so open and frank was the narrative and then it ended all too quickly. This is what the best books do; they grab you, hold your attention, and for the time you invest they give you so much more back.

If you want to get a sense of Chrissie before reading the book take a look at her finish at Kona in 2007 on Youtube.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2012 2:13 PM PST

Garmin Forerunner 405 Wireless GPS-Enabled Sport Watch with USB ANT Stick and Heart Rate Monitor (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by World Class Inc.
Price: $159.99
30 used & new from $73.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I'll stick with the 305..., December 24, 2011
DON'T BUY THIS WATCH!!

Garmin just released an update to their software and now having installed (4 Jan) I can no longer get data off the watch. It says transferring but does nothing. Thanks for nothing Garmin.. :grrrrr:

I broke my 305 when I had a bike crash so thought I'd give the 405 a go. I'm not at all happy with it, and here's why.

1) the most annoying feature; when I'm either running or cycling it sets its own laps, maybe the lap button touches the back of my hand or gets close, or maybe a hair triggers it, who knows. This makes the 405 virtually useless for interval training. Never something that was a problem on the 305 as the buttons sit on the top surface of the device

2) no matter what I try it doesn't pick up the heart rate monitor - not the one that came with the 405 or the one that came with the old 305. The 305 always paired with the HRM straightaway and both HRMs work fine with other devices including Wattbikes

3) although wireless transfer of data sounds cool and a good thing you have to plug in the Ant USB receiver and invariably Windows will sometimes not recognise it as being installed already and you have to go through the motions again - OK not a fault of the 405 a Windows issue - but the 305 with its USB cradle never had that problem

And this is another, although somewhat minor issue. The 305 has a cradle that you use to charge the device and transfer the data. It's unique in that I don't have anything else, like a mobile/cell phone, that could possibly fit. So if I'm travelling it's easy to know what I need to take for the 305 - OK if you're organised the 405 with its separate Ant USB receiver and charger shouldn't be too much of a challenge, but it's twice as challenging as the 305 and at some point that Ant USB is going to go missing...

4) if you have the Garmin training centre open it won't transfer the data after it's received it off the 405, you have to close the training centre first, annoying, why should that be the case?

5) whenever I go out the 405 always starts looking for satellites, and it always takes its time... I had this happen occasionally on the 305, maybe 3 or 4 times out of the hundreds of times I used it - so not really a nuisance, the 405 is a nuisance

6) the 405 may look smarter than the 305, the 305 is actually a pretty ugly looking device IMHO, but because the 305 is big and square it has a big and square display that means it's just about readable for old people like me who have rubbish eyesight. So when running, using the 305, I had pace and HR showing, both I could read. I can't do that with the 405 - if I choose one measure it might be big enough but I reckon probably not, and that's a compromise as quite often I need HR as well. So for me, when running, probably the most important piece of info is not accessible - because I can't read it, on the 405.

I've ordered another 305 and look forward to getting back to normality and consigning the 405 to the bin.

Price: $37.34
46 used & new from $7.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes The Boys are back with their best effort since Behaviour, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Yes (Audio CD)
Yes the Pet Shop Boys are one of the very few bands that have delivered consistently good pop records for 25 years. And yes, Yes is one their best albums they have made in that time, dare I say it at least as good as Behaviour. There's great depth here, fantastic dance tracks, majestic melancholy and just brilliant pop music that fit almost as well into today's scene as it would have done 2 decades ago.

There's much for 80's music fans to love; the infectious Did You See Me Coming would not be out of place on a New Order record; Vulnerable could have been lifted straight off Behaviour, but equally Love etc and Pandemonium amongst others could have come at any point since. Amazingly, but perhaps not surprisingly, all the songs on Yes are excellent. My favourite track is King Of Rome, it has that Jealousy feel to it; melancholy in spades; Neil's haunting voice losing nothing in all this time.

20 years ago Yes would have hit the number 1 spot with ease, many of tracks would have got to number 1 in the singles chart too had they been released. Would that be the case now, I wish - where is quality today, so lacking in an "Idle" world?

This record deserves a wide audience. If you have not discovered the Pet Shop Boys start here and then buy Behaviour, then Please, Actually and Fundamental. You will be rewarded.

If you can grab the extraordinary 2CD limited edition Yes, etc. as it seems to be disappearing fast. The bonus disc contains a brilliant duet of Neil and Philip Oakey on This Used To Be The Future - it's PSB meets Human League to brilliant effect. The remaining dub versions of More Than A Dream (Magical dub), Pandemonium (Stars & Sun dub), The Way It Used To Be (Left of Love dub), All Over The World (This is a dub), Vulnerable (Public Eye dub) and Love etc. (Beautiful dub) are all outstanding.

For me the purchase of West End Girls at a record shop off Oxford Street back in the late 80's led to a journey around the world which lasted 20 years and continues today. Yes takes me back over that time, it is on my iPod now and I know I will play it repeatedly over the coming weeks and months.

Yes-Limited
Yes-Limited
18 used & new from $25.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes The Boys are back with their best effort since Behaviour, April 4, 2009
This review is from: Yes-Limited (Audio CD)