Profile for Liz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Liz RSS Feed (New Jersey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Big Ben 3D Jigsaw Puzzle, 890-Piece
Big Ben 3D Jigsaw Puzzle, 890-Piece
Price: $35.20
27 used & new from $34.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 6, 2014
This is advertised as "age 12 and up" but the instructions are poor and it is very challenging for an adult to complete. I don't think a tween or teen kid could do it, frankly. It took an intelligent, educated adult a LONG time to do this puzzle.

Family Table: Favorite Staff Meals from Our Restaurants to Your Home
Family Table: Favorite Staff Meals from Our Restaurants to Your Home
by Michael Romano
Price: $23.78
56 used & new from $12.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty recipes, October 28, 2013
I took this book out of the library and found my family really enjoyed the recipes, so I bought it. Some of the dishes I've made include Michael Romano's Secret Ingredient Soup, the marinara and Baked Ziti, Chicken & Broccoli with Crispy Noodles and Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon-Caper Dressing. The food is very tasty and I like that a number of the recipes call for kale and chard, since I get both in abundance from a farm share (CSA) that I belong to. I did feel the need to lighten up a number of the recipes, for example the baked fish recipe calls for a stick of butter for a pound and a half of fish and the marinara sauce calls for 2/3 cup of oil. There are 3 different fried chicken recipes. Also, quite a few meat-heavy recipes, i.e. the black bean chili recipe calls for 2 kinds of meat and the ziti has beef and sausage. Question to anyone who made the Dominican beef recipe. It called for 4 cups of stock and said it shouldn't be soupy. I cooked it for 2 hours and there was still quite a bit of liquid. Did other people find that a lot had evaporated? It did taste very good, as did the other recipes.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Safety hazard, September 20, 2013
I bought this blender in July 2013 and read in Consumer Reports magazine in August 2013 that there is a safety hazard with this blender. Parts of the blade disintegrated into the blended foods/drinks in their testing. I called the company and they said they are doing their own "safety tests." I would not buy one based on what Consumer Reports said. I hope I can get them to take back the $100 one I bought 2 months ago and used once.

Day Runner Express Recycled Planning Pages, 3 x 6 Inches, 2013 (063-685Y-13)
Day Runner Express Recycled Planning Pages, 3 x 6 Inches, 2013 (063-685Y-13)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, November 11, 2012
I thought this would be a normal sized refill for my calendar but it was tiny. Make sure you pay attention to the size (3 x 6 inches) before ordering.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2012 3:47 PM PST

Playmobil 4161 Advent Calendar "Christmas Post Office"
Playmobil 4161 Advent Calendar "Christmas Post Office"
Offered by ToyWiz
Price: $59.99
20 used & new from $38.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - really fun for kids, December 14, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My kids (8 and 10) really love this advent calendar. Since the other reviews seem to be describing younger kids, I just want to say that older kids really enjoy the hidden treasures also.

House Colors: Exterior Color by Style of Architecture
House Colors: Exterior Color by Style of Architecture
by Susan Hershman
28 used & new from $13.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 8, 2011
On the postive side, the author does list the names of the paint colors used. On the negative side, the photographs of many of the "House Colors" are obscured by shadows and trees or shrubs. Also, many of the paint colors were custom mixes. I'm not sure who uses custom mixes, but I don't think it's an average homeowner. I was excited to find what appeared to be a photograph of a nice blue house called "Beachcomber." When I pulled out my BM fan deck, it's actually a dark brown color, not blue at all.

For anyone interested in seeing books with better photographs of house colors, I would recommend "The Perfectly Painted House" by Bonnie Rosser Krims and the Benjamin Moore book "Exterior Style." If anyone knows of any other books with great photographs of house colors, please let me know.

Also, I find the author's need to personally respond to every reviewer who did not LOVE the book that their OPINION is wrong to be defensive and inappropriate. People should be entitled to express their opinion, even if it differs from the author's opinion. Of course she thinks the book is perfect, she wrote it. It doesn't mean that it meets every reader's needs. I would not buy any other books by her because of her intolerance.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 4:13 PM PST

Going Solo
Going Solo
by Roald Dahl
Price: $7.19
109 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Going Solo (Paperback)
This is the best book I have read in a long time. My third grade son recommended it to me, so I can say it's good for both kids and adults. His stories of his life as a young man working in East Africa and flying for the RAF in WW II are compelling and, as always with Dahl, so well-written. His stories of human encounters with snakes and lions are entertaining. I look forward to sharing this great book with friends. His autobiography "Boy" about his childhood was also very good and worth reading also.

Apple iPod nano 16 GB Graphite (6th Generation) OLD MODEL
Apple iPod nano 16 GB Graphite (6th Generation) OLD MODEL
Offered by can't beat the price
Price: $224.99
20 used & new from $95.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw - It doesn't turn off, October 18, 2010
This Ipod nano doesn't turn off. I called their Customer Support because I thought surely I was missing something. No, they told me, this nano does not turn off. That notion just runs contrary to any kind of environmental conservatism. Aren't we supposed to be saving energy, not wasting it? I wrote this review in case anyone from Apple reads these reviews. I hope Apple does not make any more products in the future that don't turn off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2011 12:30 PM PDT

House Beautiful Colors for Your Home: 300 Designer Favorites (House Beautiful Series)
by Marjorie Gage
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this little book, September 13, 2010
There are an overwhelming number of paint color choices out there and I'm so happy with this book's help in narrowing them down. They recommend colors for certain rooms of the house and have lists in the back for easy reference, i.e. grays, browns, etc. They list specific brand names and paint color names which is so helpful to me. I like that they have a lot of Benjamin Moore colors because I can find them easily compared to Farrow & Ball or Pratt & Lambert. I agree with others that the paint colors in the photographs are not always true to life. The Carrington Beige in the book looks much darker than it does in my house, but this book is still a great starting point. Paint color must be sampled in your light because it does depend so much on the light.

Flip! for Decorating: A Page-by-Page, Piece-by-Piece, Room-by-Room Guide to Transforming Your Home
by Elizabeth Mayhew
98 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for the novice decorator, September 5, 2010
I echo what the other reviewers have said about this being a really practical, useful guide to decorating. I like her design aesthetic. Her tips are helpful and things I would not have thought of, i.e. when buying a lamp shade, bring the lamp to the store. My favorite chapter was the "No-fail Paint Colors." If she does a sequel, I would love to see even more of those, since there are so many colors out there. You definitely must sample the paint before painting your room, though. I know many people on Garden Web find her recommended Hawthorne Yellow to be excessively bright. I can see how this book would not be as helpful if you have extensive experience in decorating, i.e she uses one trim color for everything rather than varying it by warm color, cool color, etc. Elizabeth Mayhew is the editor-in-chief of Women's Day now. I'll have to see what she is writing in there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3