Profile for Mudd > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mudd RSS Feed (San Jose, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
High Sierra Loop Backpack (Black/Charcoal)
High Sierra Loop Backpack (Black/Charcoal)
Price: $34.99
14 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for backpack, January 19, 2015
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
Bought this for nephew and it lasted 3+ years through elementary and middle school. Very tough and can handle the abuse. It was a great deal as well. Compartments are adequate for different textbooks. Two thumbs up from him and grandpa.

Genuine Subaru 65550SG010VH Luggage Compartment Cover for Power Rear Gate Only
Genuine Subaru 65550SG010VH Luggage Compartment Cover for Power Rear Gate Only
Offered by Heuberger Subaru
Price: $122.80
12 used & new from $104.85

4.0 out of 5 stars OEM cargo cover works, January 19, 2015
This luggage-cover came in a Subaru box, so it appears OEM. Plus, it's 15% cheaper than buying from a dealership. I'm docking a star because there is a little part of cover near the seat that is held by two rubber stoppers. I'm not sure if that is a good design, and would prefer something more robust. Also, the cover doesn't seem to cover all the way to the back to the cargo. There is a small 1-2 inch opening that I could see through.

MSI Computer Corp. ATI Radeon HD7770 1020 MHz 1GB DDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Graphics Cards R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC
3 used & new from $90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this for the TW series, November 18, 2012
I was originally planning to get the HD6850, but there was a larger rebate on this particular HD7770, so I went for this (making the final price at a little over 1 Benjamin). I learned in my research that Nvidia and ATI/AMD are somewhat tailored to different game developers, so certain games prefer the architecture of one versus the other. I happen to play lots and lots of Total War games in my lifetime. And I know that AMD partnered with Sega to make the recent Total War games (like Shogun 2 and Rome 2). Since this series will account for most of my gaming time, I went with this and can't be happier. Absolutely no crash yet on after 40 hours of Shogun 2 and so far the performance on Ultra is very good. I am upgrading from a XFX HD 4770, so being able to have 1GB Vram and a stronger GPU enable me to get Max/Ultra settings. Fall of the Samurai looks stunning with this graphic card and DX11. If you are a big Total War fan on a budget for a graphic card, this will fit the bill perfectly. If you have my spec below, you should have little problem playing the current TW games and the upcoming Rome2!

Intel i5-2500K, Patriot 8GB RAM DDR3 @ 1600MHz, MSI Z68, MSI R7770, Win 7 x64 Ultimate

Update 12/29/2014: several years later and this card is still going. AMD has re-branded this card as the R7 250x. Tried this with Rome 2 Emperor Edition (after all the bugs got ironed out) and got decent frame rates on "very high" setting. Using the in-game "forest" benchmark, I was able to get average FPS of 39 (low of 24) in the default Very High setting. At the default Ultra setting, I got average of 32 with low of 19. The very high setting is just fine for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 11:36 AM PST

Sleeping Dogs [Download]
Sleeping Dogs [Download]
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful game and great story, October 25, 2012
It's nice to see something a little different, but at the same time very similar. This game feels so much like a throw-back to the 80s and 90s Hong Kong titles that made Jackie Chan and Chow Yun Fat famous. But at the same time, feels like something that Rockstar would make and call it GTA-HongKong.

I'm at 50% completion now and I feel like this game has already proven its worth. Downloaded this from Steam at it took about 1 hour to finish at about 1MB/sec download speed. Game is beautiful even though my graphic card needed update (see spec below). Occasionally I hit a bug in the cinematic where the screen would just freeze. Very little exposure to guns so I can see how this will turn people off. The story is better than most and I hope the developers come up with more content and missions in the future.

i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, Radeon 4770, Win Ultimate x64.

Polk Audio TL1 Speaker Center Channel (Each, Black)
Polk Audio TL1 Speaker Center Channel (Each, Black)
Price: $74.99
21 used & new from $65.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy to get this speaker at discount, May 10, 2012
I have been on the prowl looking for a low-profile (less than 5-inch high) center-channel speaker for about a year after I bought an Onkyo RC360 receiver. I have a pair of hand-me-down floor-standing speakers which has a full ensemble of tweeter-midrange-woofers to provide a full range of sound. The problem is that dialogues in movies are very weak. Nothing I could do with the sparse settings on the RC360 can alleviate this. If I turn the volume up to hear dialog, the bass and the explosion caused my neighbors to complain. The answer is to find a decent center channel that can be placed in front of my Sony LCD TV. I finally saw Amazon offering the TL1 with a decent 25% discount over retail (this speaker rarely goes on sale). I bought it and it arrived 3 days later. I plugged it in and did a little calibration using my RC360 Audyssey microphone. The level calibration gave -9dB for the front main speakers and -4dB for the center TL1. I plugged in some Blu-ray movies and rented out "The Help" (Blu-Ray) because I heard it is mostly dialogues. The result is outstanding. The sound field felt unified and even. I lived in a small apartment so the size and output of this speaker is perfect for me. Those who have larger rooms should probably step up to larger center-channels. Very happy with this small purchase.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 3:32 PM PDT

Officemate Bookends, 9 Inches, Non-Skid Base, Black, Pair (93051)
Officemate Bookends, 9 Inches, Non-Skid Base, Black, Pair (93051)
Price: $12.10
15 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and affordable, January 13, 2012
Great bookends and comes with a thin layer of non-skid felts at the bottom. Bought for my little nephews who are still young and still into reading large books. These are about 9 inches tall, so large children's books are no problem. Metal has some decent thickness and doesn't bend much when I pressed them. Highly recommended, especially with the free shipping from Amazon.

BattleForge - PC
BattleForge - PC
Offered by Karna Shop
Price: $6.94
30 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but sparse online community, November 4, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: BattleForge - PC (Video Game)
I didn't buy the retail game first. Last year, the first thing I did was download the Play-4-Free (P4F) game just to see what it was all about. Game was great and the free cards did an okay job. This is very much like Warhammer 40,000 where you need to complete certain objectives in well-defined maps but you can customize your deck of cards for certain strategies. The P4F deck isn't absolute garbage as I can find many useful cards that I still use today (my favorites are: windweavers, rifle-cultist, and the great wyrms). Later, after liking the game (and playing for about a year), I came to Amazon and bought myself a new retail DVD game (you must buy new). In the back of the paper manual, there is a code that you can use to register and collect 3000 BattleForge Points (BFP) along with 4 starter decks (16x4 = 64cards)! Obviously, there will be some redundant cards with the P4F deck, but that's enough cards to really get going because the 4 starter decks also come with more uncommon are rare cards. Surprisingly, the most valuable card in this starter deck (in terms of BFP in the open market) is the Shaman (an uncommon).

There are several fun aspects of this game besides the combat and strategy map-conquering part: interacting with other people online and collecting the digital cards themselves. For those of you who like Magic The Gathering, or Pokemon, this can be your digital version. However, once you get your BFP or your cards, you can't really exchange it back for real money or sell it on Ebay. There are several ways you can acquire new cards: buy booster packs and hope to draw your cards (each booster sells for 250BFP and it comes with either one rare or ultra-rare randomly, just like a Pokemon booster). Who doesn't like the excitement (and anxiety) of opening a booster pack? Or you can buy cards with BFP on the auction house (AH). Certain valuable Ultra-rares in the AH can sell for over 1000BFP but at least you know what you're getting. Also, you can trade with other people online. Right now there 4 editions (Twilight, Renegade, Lost Souls, Amii), so if you like collecting stuff, this can occupy your time and suck some serious BFP from you. However, the thing I don't like right now is that the online community is so sparse and thin. It's difficult to play some co-op maps because some of those need 4 or even 12 people. At the same time, there's not too many jerks online either. Overall, for the amount of time and the relatively low price I got for this, it's highly recommended. At least try the P4F to see if you like it.

Btw, game ran without problems on my outdated system: Intel E8400 w/ 2GB DDR2 RAM, Windows XP. Radeon HD4770.

Braveheart / Gladiator (Two-Pack) [Blu-ray]
Braveheart / Gladiator (Two-Pack) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by BOOKS-FOR-EVERYBODY
Price: $52.00
8 used & new from $44.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on my player, great deal!, October 1, 2011
Ordered from Amazon and received in mint condition. Plug both Blu-Ray discs in my recently purchased Panasonic BD75 player and both played flawlessly and without hiccups. The bundled Gladiator appears to be the re-mastered edition. Quality is very good, and when paired with a receiver that is capable of TrueHD and DTS-HD, the sound is amazing. Best scene in Braveheart IMO is chapter 10 (Battle of Stirling). For Gladiator, I like the first chapter and chapter 15 in the Roman colosseum. For the neat price, this is demo-quality and something you can use to show off your home theater to your guests.

Panasonic DMP-BD75 Ultra-Fast Booting Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BD75 Ultra-Fast Booting Blu-ray Disc Player
5 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat this like a basic Blu-Ray player, September 30, 2011
Bought this from Amazon for less than a Benjamin. I have been using this for over 2 months now, mostly for playing Blu-rays and standard DVDs. Didn't have a single problem playing any disc so far. I also rented over 20 various discs within that time from the local kiosks (those $1.50/day rental). Some of those rental discs were pretty scratched-up but still no problems. Since this drive can play some of the newest released Blu-Ray discs, I didn't bother upgrading any firmware. I hook this up to an Onkyo RC360 through HDMI and the Onkyo pass the video to my Sony 46V2500 (also via HDMI). The Onkyo receiver was able to extract the latest Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA mix from the Panasonic drive, so I know that everybody seems to be playing well together. After reading how unreliable the internet streaming and other features are from other reviewers here, I decided that I'm just going to delegate this player as a pure DVD/Blu-Ray drive. If I want internet streaming, I can always buy a Roku or an AppleTV. For the price, I'm having a hard time finding a better player. Since this drive does NOT have coaxial or optical sound, I highly suggest using more up-to-date hardware (best if all hardware has HDMI) to get the hi-def soundtrack. It is a noticeable difference. Picture quality is OK (even for Blu-Ray), but I've seen better (the PS3 picture quality is better IMO). At the end of the day, if you adjust your expectation and try to see this firstmost as a entry-level blu-ray player, I think it's a bargain.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return
Price: $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't find a better deal at local store, August 13, 2011
Even the no-name brand HDMI cables at Wmart and Tget are 3x as expensive as these Amazon Basic cable and it is for the same functionality. I witness no syncing problems, no color issue, nothing. The only thing of concern is the longevity of these cables, but only time will tell for that. I currently have one going from my Panasonic Blu-Ray player straight to my Sony LCD TV. If you're willing to wait a couple days for shipping, everyone should at least try these once before jumping to more expensive brand-name HDMI cables.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3