Profile for C. Meyer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Meyer RSS Feed (Colorado)

Page: 1 | 2
OXO SteeL Muddler
OXO SteeL Muddler
Price: $13.95
16 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beverages!, May 26, 2011
This review is from: OXO SteeL Muddler (Kitchen)
I really like this muddler for several reasons:

1) It is dishwasher safe
2) It does not stain
3) It has lasted longer than any wood muddler that I have used
4) It is reasonably priced
5) It is great at its job

Besides making mojitos, I have begun making herb-infused teas as well as fruit and herb beverages. Muddling the herbs releases the essential oils providing more flavor in the resulting drink. This is one well-used muddler.

Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline
Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline
Price: $38.63
21 used & new from $32.20

4.0 out of 5 stars A cut above the rest, May 26, 2011
I purchased this mandoline thinking that I would use it occasionally. Boy was I wrong.

I first used this to make potatoes au gratin (and in the past I sliced the potatoes by hand). Each pass over the blade results in the same uniform thickness of the potato slice. If I mix things up and slice a raw potato with the skin still on, I still get the same uniform result. Impressed by that, I went onto onion rings. Now they are even easier to make. The slices are uniform and I can slice and entire onion in less time than it would take me to do it by hand.

For safety's sake, please use the guard. While I haven't cut myself on the blade, the first few times I was surprised how soon my fingers were just above the blade. Even slicing cabbage for an Asian coleslaw went by quickly.

My personnel recommendation is not to use it on very small items, such as garlic. This you are better off doing by hand. And extremely soft fruit, such as overripe strawberries just tend to mush up against the blade.

This is one kitchen item that I use again, and again, and again. Well worth the money.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Le Mystere is Le Manifique!, September 15, 2005
Not all bras are created equal. But what makes it so special? As a fuller figured female, let me explain the merits:

1)Support - it does a great job. This bra does not sag over the course of the day. Your figure looks just as great in the evening as when you put the bra on in the morning.

2)Coverage - this gives the modest more coverage so people don't see what you don't want them to see. For starters, the fabric is thicker than any bra that I have ever owned. And no, this is not a padded bra, the material is just thicker. Since the material is thicker, it means that it is truly opaque. Not even with the thinnest and whitest t-shirt will you be embarassed.

3)Comfort - this bra is quite comfortable, especially considering that it is an underwire. I have not experienced the sensation of underwire digging in nor the straps gouging my shoulders. But on occassion I do feel some pressure from one of the straps (hence the 4 star rating).

Now there are a few things that may give you pause.

1)Price - this bra averages $60-65 in department stores, not a cheap undergarment.

2)Size - this bra is larger compared to other bras of the same size. What I mean is that the bra has a defined shape... it does not lie flat as the cups are molded. And there is more fabric that connects the cups together. A good descriptive word is "substantial", but don't think bulky. This bra does disappear under t-shirts giving you a beautiful form rather than a body marked by undergarment lines.

This is an undergarment that I intend to buy again... and again... and again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2012 4:25 AM PDT

Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC14 Animal Upright Vacuum
Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC14 Animal Upright Vacuum

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an 'animal'!, July 22, 2005
I bought this vacuum cleaner after much reviewing and questioning of friends, but I was still leary of the price given that I have only spent no more than $125 on previous vacuums. However, this vacuum cleaner lives up to the favorable reviews.

Let me start by saying that I have a Persian cat. As a cat owner, I am aware of the shedding, but have had problems of cleaning up all the hair. My old Hoover just never lived up to the task. But the first time I ran the Dyson over the carpet (having just used the Hoover for comparison) I was truly shocked. The see through canister was 1/3 full! And here I thought my carpet was clean.

So I then went about the rest of my house trying it out. In each and every room, the Dyson always picked up more. But the most impressive display was when I vaccumed the stairs. In the past, this has involved struggling with a cleaner on the stairs that doesn't quite fit so it is a juggling act to vaccum. One slip of my grip and the vaccum would tumble down the stairs. Oh... and let's not forget the fun of lugging a vaccum cleaner (upright) on the stairs. But with the Dyson, the long hose reached my top stair while the Dyson itself sat on the main level of the house. The 17' long hose was great. And with the attachment, even the stubborn cat hair came of the carpeted stairs.

Another feature that is impressive is being able to switch between using the rotating brush or turning it off. What this means is that I can now vacuum over my rugs (brush off) without ripping the fringe or damaging my vintage hooked rugs. Yet, the vacuum pulls enough suction to clean the rugs. Example: sucking up tracked kitty litter.

Clean up is also a snap. I no longer have to worry about bags or filters. I simply turn off the Dyson, press the switch near the handle and lift up the entire canister and walk it over to the trash. Pressing my finger on a hook and the base flips open allowing you to empty the canister without getting your hands dirty. Once the canister is empty, simply snap the lid back in place and return to the main unit (again, snap into place).

I do have to admit liking the fact that I can see exactly what the Dyson picks up. Believe me, you will be impressed the first time you vaccum and see the collection of hair, dust, and other tiny debris.

Oh, one other really nice feature: the attachments are attached to the unit itself. The exceptions being the one used to vaccum under things like couches or beds and the one for the stairs. It's quite convenient to be able to reach down and snap the upholstery attachment without carrying it around in my pocket or remembering to bring it into the room I am cleaning. This also ensures that I not only clean the flooring, but also clean the upholstered furniture on a regular basis.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have to occassionaly clean the rotating brush (which I couldn't reach in my old Hoover) of hair (mine and the cat's) this would be a 5-star review. But as far as sheer vaccum power, this is definitely a 5-star performer.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahh.. here's my torch, March 14, 2005
I have had this torch for a little over a year. Now that I prepare creme brulee as a frequent dessert, I use this torch just as frequently.

It fits well into my hand, not mattering whether I grip it with my right or left hand. After all, if it felt awkward, I doubt that I would use it. It's weighted nicely and the controls are easy to use and understand.

On the side, there is a switch that you slide back and forth. One way is ON and the other OFF. Don't worry, you don't have to guess which way is which as the switch is labled. After turning on the torch, a button near the top (on the grip) is pressed to light the torch. A nice feature is that once it's lit, it stays lit. Then on the opposite side (opposite from the on/off switch) is the flame adjustment control. A plus sign indicates to push in that direction if you want a larger flame. A minus sign indicates the direction for a smaller flame.

It does come with a base... which I haven't used yet.

My only complaint is that I wish there were a fuel gage so I could see the fuel level. But you won't have to guess when the fuel is running low, the flame will shrink down to nothing. Oh... and I have filled the torch from a large aerosol type can (which has various nozzles to connect to smaller butane devices). So don't worry that once the torch is empty, you are done with the torch. Nope, just refill it. Most kitchen stores now carry these aerosol canisters.

Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving
Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving
by Altrista Consumr Products
20 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down, the best canning book, March 13, 2005
I have been canning for over 20 years, and without a doubt, this book provides the best instruction on how to can properly. This is important if you want to successfully can, and enjoy the food you can.

First: you are provided with numerous methods on how to can, water bath and pressure cooker for instance.

Second: you are provided with chart of what type of processing works best for which type of food (main ingredient in your canning).

Third: you are provided with a chart on how long to process each type of food, and better still, they have not forgotten that people are not at the same elevation across the country. As someone who started canning in Iowa and then moved to Colorado, this book makes all the difference.

Fourth: you are provided with clear, easy to follow recipes (many of these have been around for generations).

Fifth: the final products taste good! I gladly share the canned products with friends and family. Many items end up as birthday or Christmas presents.

Whether you are a novice, experienced, or somewhere in between to canning, this is a must have book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2010 12:53 PM PST

Creme Brulee: The Bonjour Way (Cafe)
Creme Brulee: The Bonjour Way (Cafe)
by Randolph W. Mann
103 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick, give me my torch, March 13, 2005
I am a fan of creme brulee. So... when I happened upon this book, I just had to buy it. The pictures alone with get your mouth watering (and each recipe has it's own picture), but it's actually the taste of these recipes that will keep you coming back to this book.

The recipes are well written, easy to follow, and the ingredient list will not scare you off. In fact, you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator already.

I really like the fact that instructions are given on how to torch the sugar. I know now how far to hold the torch away from the top of the creme as well as how to evenly 'burn' the sugar across the dessert. So with the guidance of this book, my creme brulees look as good as any I order in a restuarant.

So far, I have made the classic creme brulee, the double chocolate, and the pumpkin. Each tasted as luscious as their respective picture.

Polder Digital Add'N'Weigh 11-Pound Kitchen Scale, White
Polder Digital Add'N'Weigh 11-Pound Kitchen Scale, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for accurate measurements, March 13, 2005
In the past, I used to eyeball some measurements. For baking, this would throw off proper rising or baking time. Now, I don't know how I got along without this handy scale. And since using this scale, I realized how much I had previously relied on guess work for measurements. No more....

First of all, it has a very small foot print, so I don't worry about it taking up valuable countertop space. It's small enough, that I set it on top of my espresso machine when it's not in use. But it's one of my kitchen tools that I use almost daily.

With the 'tare' feature (an absolute must for a kitchen scale), I can set a large bowl on top of the scale,zero out the bowl's weight then pour, slice, shred, chop directly into the bowl until I reach the desired weight for the ingredient. I have also found that if I empty the bowl and return it quickly to the scale, the weight of the bowl is 'remembered' so I don't have to tare the weight of the bowl back to zero. It's quite handy to have this feature when measuring large quanties. Note: when the scale turns off (after a period of inactivity... good battery saving feature)you will have to use the tare feature again when placing a container on the scale.

The display is easy to read and converts from ounces to grams. Given that it measures to the 1/8 of an ounce, I am confident in the accuracy of the measurements.

The finish of the scale also cleans up quickly. So whether I am weighing cheese, mushrooms, or heck... even tofu, I just wipe it clean.

Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch
Price: $24.99
9 used & new from $21.15

4.0 out of 5 stars A great kitchen tool for the frequent baker, March 13, 2005
I love to bake cookies. In the past, it meant that I got out my favorite cookie sheet and used it over and over until I had baked the entire batch of cookies. Well, the last two sheets of cookies were not as nice as the earlier ones. Crumbs stuck to the sheet, cookies began to stick to where their earlier siblings had been, and some cookie residue began to blacken. But no more!

With the silpat, I can still use my favorite cookie sheet and make sheet after sheet of perfect cookies with no wear and tear on my pan. Each sheet of cookies looks as good as the first.

With simply wiping down the sheet after use, cleanup is definitely a snap.

I have also used this for bread, foccacia, and rolls...each with the same uniform results.

OXO Good Grips  Salad Spinner
OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner
Price: $29.99
29 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy a different spinner, this is the one you want, March 13, 2005
I do enjoy salads, but I don't enjoy all the prep work cleaning the greens for the salads. What's a girl to do? Well, I got off my butt and read through reviews of various salad spinners and checked out what my friends had.

This spinner was worth the search. I can't believe how simple it is to use. Rinse greens, put in spinner, pump the handle a few times and then hit the button. When you take off the lid, you have clean and 'just moist' greens. Which, if you apply salad dressings to your greens, means you actually enjoy the flavor of the dressing ON the greens rather than have it slide right off the soggy greens of the pre-salad spinner days.

Since I enjoy buying organic greens whenever possible, this has been a time saver. Let's face it, organic spinach is filthy! It is usually splattered with mud and grit. So in the past, it took several rinsings in a colander before the water ran clear. Now, I have clean, organic greens in about 45 seconds. And given the design, the greens are not in contact with the dirty water. So your clean greens, stay clean... now all you have to do is dress the salad.

Oh, the size of the clear bowl makes a great serving bowl for parties. I prepare a salad, put the lid on, depress the pump, lock it into place, and then set the whole container in the refrigerator. Then, when guests arrive, I can take it out from the 'frige, remove the lid, and have enough salad to feed a small army. Leftovers also store well in this container. Though with clean, no-soggy greens, who's gonna have leftovers?

Page: 1 | 2