Profile for Ray > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ray RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
by Reza Aslan
Price: $17.50
319 used & new from $3.11

1.0 out of 5 stars This man has no credibility as a secular academic..., July 30, 2013
I had the misfortune of reading the first few parts of "no god but God" and I skimmed through this one at the books store. A secular/Atheist academic who grew up a christian or a Jew doesn't toe the line when it comes to their religion like this man does with his own religion. I challenge you to find one that does. They simply don't exist.

One does not simply write an Atheist/secular view of one religion and religious view of another and expect any sort of credibility as a secular academic. His book "No god but God" all but glorifies Islam in its fundamental form, almost a "how to" beginner's guide to his own religion. He blames the west for how Muslims interpret Islam... are you kidding me?! How does this work? "Ghosts don't exist in the world but they do in my attic"? It does not make sense. Its just another case of -My religion is the true one and the other ones are just made up and here is some "historical books"-. This man is a hypocrite who would never dare to write in a similar fashion about his own religion despite the glaring issues. You want a true secular academic then read Hitchens, he tackles ALL religions (and also an incredible writer).

Despite your creed your beliefs or even what your historical interests in religion are, don't give money to this Islamic charlatan, there are plenty of better writers.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2013 12:38 PM PDT

CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder
CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder
Price: $8.99
42 used & new from $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me..., July 28, 2012
The reviews made it a sure fire thing, but I've had 3 separate people try and even in areas where I KNOW there is a screw or a nail in a stud and the results were negative... waste of money.

Black & Decker SF100 Wood Stud Finder
Black & Decker SF100 Wood Stud Finder
Price: $10.90
64 used & new from $3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage..., July 25, 2012
The only thing it does really well is that it turns your wall into Swiss cheese... its erratic and simply doesn't work, avoid the product.

Mass Effect 3 - PC
Mass Effect 3 - PC
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $12.33
54 used & new from $1.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy yet..., March 6, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 - PC (Video Game)
I bought the hard copy version (with the CDs and case and whatnot) and I am still forced to download the game through Origin and that's after an hour of customer support trying to figure out why.

So now I'm staring at 2 perfectly good and useless CDs (with about 8 gigs of info on them) while (according to origin) it will take 9 hours for the download to complete and then I'm not even sure if I can run it. Such a disappointment. This game is starting on such a lousy note that I'm not even sure I'm looking forward to playing it.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2012 10:23 AM PST

Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC
Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC
Offered by J&S GAMES
Price: $7.56
129 used & new from $0.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the game (ignore the space combat), January 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I simply love this game, the solo play is amazing, story-lines are well written and engaging. First MMORPG I play where its actually fun to level your character. People have to play it to find out. You cannot go wrong with this game, even if the MMO part is not appealing to you, it has 8 amazing story-lines that are each an RPG on its own. Yes there is room for improvement but I have faith in Bioware and the potential that they will develop this game to be one of the best in the genre.

Fatal Alliance (Star Wars: The Old Republic) (Star Wars: The Old Republic - Legends)
by Sean Williams
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
88 used & new from $0.57

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good., November 4, 2011
I'm half way through and I know that the book is lacking when I lack the motivation to finish it, at certain parts its almost painful to read due to the unbelievably mediocre writing. It is high school level at best sprinkled with a bit of current cultural stupidities embodied in lines such as "I'll holler when I need you" Seriously? The action is lacking as well, not in abundance but rather in quality. Its hard to decipher and at many parts it ends unrealistically. The storyline is utterly pointless so far and nothing in it gives me hope that a point will eventually be reached.

At any rate, if you are a seasoned reader of any sort, avoid. I have to go back to chewing through this book for the sake of completion and the only reason it got 2 stars from me vs 1 star is the Old Republic theme which I love and encourage. I will continue to cross my fingers for an Old Republic movie! (not written or directed by Lucas please...)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PC
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PC
Offered by TnsDeals
Price: $11.49
22 used & new from $6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, September 10, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As enjoyable as the first one I played over a decade ago. My only gripe is I wish they had a bit more options with the augmentations or at least expanded it further, it just seemed it was a bit too simplistic.

Dragon Age 2 - PC
Dragon Age 2 - PC
Offered by Insane Web Deals...Simply the Best Deals on the Web!
Price: $34.98
20 used & new from $8.95

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel that Bioware is slowly weaning me off their games..., March 17, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dragon Age 2 - PC (Video Game)
I'm not sure if anyone else shares this opinion, but I just feel that Bioware RPGs are becoming less and less RPGish with time. I still think that NVWN and KOTOR are some of the best RPGs ever made. DAO and Mass Effect are also great games. But it seems that the games are progressively becoming worse with every new installment. Their games are just turning into carbon copies of eachother, simplest example is to look at the characters between ME2 and DAOII. Is there really a difference between Tali and Merril? Its almost same exact storylines but the names are different... to me that just shows laziness.

As far as this game goes, the few things that really bothered me:
1. Why cant it have been set in the same place immediately after the blight? It would have been very interesting to play a game where some sort of power struggle among the survivors to be a central issue, and involving the Wardens... how they could make a DA game without wardens is beyond me.

2. Dont think that there is a map to travel in, or different cities to visit, its ONE city with different quarters that are more or less the same. I felt that I played the same maps OVER AND OVER AND OVER, dungeons are mostly identical and very repetitive down to the foes you face and the location you face them in. I can count on one hand the different types of enemies... 90% of what you kill is spiders, one or two kind of deamons and skeletons, and maybe some humans who ALL dress the same out in the city nights. The game made me feel very clausterphobic, I felt cooped up inside the walls of this one city, with very little variation in scenery. There is no travel or a camp where all your companions can be located. I had to constantly jump from one companion home to another to interact with.

3. Loot was the worst, your companions wear their own armor so that means if you were a warrior, you will vendor 80% of the armor you find and you will never know what it looks like because your companions dont wear it! There was really no quests in the game for any sort of special armor or weapon, I changed my armor a grand total of 3 times during the 38 hours of gametime, it went like this: Dragon armor (same one you get in the first one) to Stone-something or other set then to Champion armor... I vendored everything else that I found. There is no smith in the game, (or none that I found) which is amazing to me that a city that HUGE has no damn shops in it, everything you buy from stalls. So there is absolutely no custom crafting in the game.

4. Characters: They used the same formula of character interaction as the expansion, you cant really interact with your characters other than when you are ALLOWED to interact with them. Most of the time I didn't want to interact because I honestly hated every follower. Their personalities were thin, predictable and uninteresting. There is no Leliana to sing you a sweet song, no Morrigan to break your heart, no Allistair to annoy you, yes, I actually missed Allistair (and I would have had him killed if I had an option in the first game). They also effectively killed the romance aspect of the game, which is a shame but no big loss if they compensated for it with some interesting interactions, in which they did not.

5. The combat was stupidly simplified... I literally activated 4-5 things during combat and had 2 sustained abilities on... THATS IT. Answer this for me please... why cant a warrior duel wield?

6. The ending was completely unmemorable... the Sopranos has a more meaningful ending than this game. Unlike DAO, there was no list of consequences to your actions, so whatever decisions you made in the game, you will just have to guess as to the outcome.

There are many other things that was wrong with this game, Im sure someone here mentioned some of them.

I have no interest in buying any DLC for this game, because no matter how much glitter you put on a piece of crap, its still crap. I don't feel that any DLC will add anything of value to it.

I am so disappointed that its actually upsetting and I wont make the mistake of buying Bioware games on release dates (like I usually do) from now on.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2011 11:45 PM PDT

Fallout: New Vegas - PC
Fallout: New Vegas - PC
Offered by TnsDeals
Price: $9.49
62 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than FO3, December 2, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Loved this game, and what I enjoyed the most was the FO1 and FO2 references. It felt a little more like the fallout games from the 90s. I experienced a couple of crashes, there are some glitches in the game as well, but nothing that affected my enjoyment. I'm in my second run of the game, spent 84 hours on the first run. I had missed so much of the game that I decided to run through it again. The best thing about this game, no damn subway system, really hated that in FO3. Everything is open for you and there is so much to explore. If you liked any of the Fallout games, you will love this one.

AT&T 2701HG-B 2Wire Wireless Gateway DSL Router Modem
AT&T 2701HG-B 2Wire Wireless Gateway DSL Router Modem
51 used & new from $9.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Just bought a THIRD one over the span of 2 years., September 15, 2009
I just don't understand how this thing can be so bad, I have never willingly bought a product that I thought "Hey, it would be great if it lasted a year". When it runs, it runs erratically, cutting out at times, working on some computers but not others. I have never seen such a bad modem. It feels as if the product was carved out of the bowels of hell. First time I replaced it for free as it was within the warranty period. Now I have to pay for a new one. For this price, you are only renting it for a year. If you will buy it, keep in mind that you will have to buy another one at a certain point. If you can avoid this product, Do it!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2013 12:11 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2