Profile for Melissa A. Case > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 55

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Melissa A. Case "Stand-Up Philosopher" RSS Feed (Gaithersburg,MD United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Sex and the Social Network
Sex and the Social Network

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades ... WITH A CONSCIENCE., October 11, 2013
Unlike a lot of people who are reading this book, I wasn't a fan of the 50 Shades books. Not offended by them, but there was always an emotional disconnect in them for me that made it impossible to relate to the characters.

Victoria Lexington has turned that on its ear in "Sex & The Social Network". One of the first things that struck me about it was how realistic it is. I have seen many instances in which people have reconnected with old flames or engaged in new dalliances with people on Facebook. Maybe the fact that it's "invisible" is what makes it seem OK, but then there are the ones who take those connections offline ... Ms. Lexington has captured those tales here perfectly.

Each of the characters roused something different in my.

I found relating to Liz, the protagonist of the story, really easy; she spoke to my conscience. Maria goes for it and lives out a fantasy I think many people share. Julia's boredom, I think, is right on the money and all too common. But it was Gabby who tore me to pieces. Her story is as hard to read as any I've come across, and it's definitely uncomfortable, but I think, too, it's so important (and I think including her story was really gutsy on the part of Ms. Lexington).

As for the sex scenes, well ... WHOA. Some are pretty hardcore, but MAN if they're not smokin'. Big thumbs up.

Ms. Lexington's first outing as a writer is a home run; a great, entertaining read that you won't be able to put down.

Remington Ac2015 Tstudio Salon Collection Pearl Ceramic Hair Dryer
Remington Ac2015 Tstudio Salon Collection Pearl Ceramic Hair Dryer
Price: $25.99
6 used & new from $25.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dry n' Shiny!, September 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This hair dryer, first off, is great because it's QUIET. My daughter despises the noise from most hairdryers and this doesn't bother her in the least. Also, its ion technology is much gentler on her hair (and mine), which I'm in favor of as well. One of the best features, however, is that it is lightweight, which makes it terrific for travel, not to mention being easy on my forearms and shoulders (I have pretty thick hair and it takes forever to dry). It's a solid piece of equipment and I've already purchased another. Thumbs up!

WordPress Bible
WordPress Bible
by Aaron Brazell
51 used & new from $0.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes WordPress Easy-Peasy ... Even For A Non-Geek Like Me., February 2, 2010
This review is from: WordPress Bible (Paperback)
I am by NO means a techno-geek. I do, however, run a business in which my clients often ask for advice in setting up WordPress sites for their companies. But where's a web novice to turn?

Enter Aaron Brazell.

Mr. Brazell, while exceedingly thorough in his explanations of the popular blogging platform, presents his material in such as way as not to talk down to beginners, but still make it easy to grasp. I've been reading the text for several days now, and have learned more than I could have imagined when I thought to order the it (typically, when I attempt to read a technical manual like this one, I can see the words on the page, but they register as, "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.") Not so here.

Clear. Concise. Easy-to-follow. A stellar effort by Mr. Brazell that I would *highly* recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about WordPress -- whether neophyte or expert.

Brocabulary: The New Man-i-festo of Dude Talk
Brocabulary: The New Man-i-festo of Dude Talk
by Daniel Maurer
Price: $12.01
142 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars To Say That Only Stupid People Will Like This Book ..., July 21, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
... would be an insult to stupid people.

First off, whomever at Harper Collins decided to actually publish this mess should not just be fired, but publicly humiliated. Second, it's not often that I can't find a silver lining somewhere, but in this book, not only is there no silver lining, there is no lining whatsoever. It's just flat-out, beat-you-over-the-head, my-13-year-old-would-find-this-immature tripe.

And it's not that I'm uptight or humorless. I love a good fart joke as much as the next guy (or gal, as the case may be) but when the opening paragraph (Mr. Maurer's "Brologue") of the book gives you:

"According to manthropologists, the first bros were even more primitive than current-day ones--"watching the game" meant looking for animals to kill, and "doing shots" meant throwing spears into the air. Back then life was mostly about meat feasts, and as a result bros spoke in a sort of "arse code" that was comprised of farts and sharts: Three one-check sneaks followed by a Hershey squirt meant 'Whattup dawg?'; a couple of butt burps followed by a triple flutterblast meant 'Get off my grill.'"

then you know you're in deep sewage.

It only gets worse from that point (but I'll spare you the agony of having to read it yourself). While "Brocabulary" is written at about a 12-year-old level, I certainly wouldn't want MY 12-year-old reading it, as the language and subject matter are aimed at, I'd guess, fraternity boys and guys who're just out of college.

This book had potential; the description sounded amusing, at least. But it just tries WAY too hard to be "hipper than thou" and, sadly, fails abysmally.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite Snack, To Be Sure, July 21, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love almonds and eat many different varieties for snacks. These Cocoa Roast Almonds from Emerald *sounded* terrific, so I ordered them right away. The first two or three tasted pretty good, though not as good as I had expected, but soon after, the cocoa left a really unpleasant, bitter aftertaste that I could've gone all day without experiencing. I'm not sure what it is because, on paper, these should be great, but in execution ... they're just not.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up To Caffienated Perfection!, May 13, 2008
We purchased a Keurig brewing system early this year, so we've been trying out as many different varieties of coffee as possible. This coffee is -- BAR NONE -- the best of the bunch. It is rich, syrupy and just a bit sweet. My experience, thus far, has been that the K-Cups listed as "extra bold" produce the best cups of coffee, but many of those are only available in dark roasts, while I prefer a medium roast. If you're a fan of a good, old fashioned diner-style cup of coffee (like what you can get if you go to Dunkin Donuts or somewhere like that), then this is the brew for you. We love it and make sure we always have some on hand.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2012 3:41 PM PDT

IZZE Fortified Sparkling Juice, Grapefruit, 8.4-Ounce Cans (Pack of 24)
IZZE Fortified Sparkling Juice, Grapefruit, 8.4-Ounce Cans (Pack of 24)
Price: $19.14
9 used & new from $19.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, Refreshing & Absolutely Delicious!, May 6, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was a bit skeptical about this product before trying it, as I am not a soda drinker by any stretch of the imagination. However, I decided to give it a go. Not only was I not disappointed, I absolutely LOVED it!

The Izze Fortified All-Natural Juice (I tried the Grapefruit version) is light and refreshing and JUST sweet enough (not cloying the way sodas can be). Its crisp taste and gentle bubbles remind me a great deal of Orangina, which I always liked. The cans are smaller than regular soda, which I also view as a good thing, as I can never finish a whole can on those occasions when I do drink it. The fact that this drink is also fortified with vitamins is an added bonus (though I've gotta say that the fortification is a bit weak; nothing terribly exciting there).

I look forward to trying the other flavors, but I am totally sold on IZZE and can, with a clear conscience, recommend it most highly!

Beauty Bureau Stick Scents Holiday 3-Count Variety Pack Reed Diffusers, 8-Ounce Package

3.0 out of 5 stars Much, MUCH Too Strong for Me, March 31, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I really begin, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of air fresheners, as many of them give me violent headaches. That said, I thought that the stick scents might be a good option for me, as the reed diffusers give you some control over how much scent is released into the air (fewer reeds, less pungent smell). However, even with very few reeds in the bottles of scented oil, the smells were still overpowering (at least in my opinion). However, my opinion on this is completely subjective. I can't complain a bit about the attractiveness, as the bottles and reeds are quite nice to look at. The price is certainly reasonable, so there are no complaints there. So, if you're an air freshener type of person, this would probably be a good product for you. I know that, based on the season, there are lots of different scents available, so you'd just need to find the one that's right for you. I, personally, won't be purchasing anymore, but this is a highly personal product and don't think this is an instance where my likes or dislikes should dissuade anyone who's interested. Good luck, and good sniffing!

Breville BKC600XL Gourmet Single-Cup Coffee Brewer
Breville BKC600XL Gourmet Single-Cup Coffee Brewer
4 used & new from $112.50

5.0 out of 5 stars It Made A Believer Out of Me!, March 31, 2008
I have no trouble admitting that I'm a complete coffee snob. I love the stuff, but it has to be brewed well, and brewed STRONG. I've been devoted to my French Press for years, but because I'm the only one in my house who really drinks coffee, I often end up pouring lots of coffee (and lots of money in the process) down the drain. So, I started investigating single-serve coffee machines.

I had tried a Keurig K-Cup in the industrial machine at my office and I was not terribly impressed, to say the least, so I nearly passed the Breville system by. However, after trying coffees from Nespresso (their pod system is abhorrently expensive, and quite limited in selection), as well as Tassimo and a couple of others, I decided to give this one a try.

The options that the Breville gives really set it apart from the competition. The fact that I can select the size of my cup of coffee (less water + more grounds = better coffee) as well as have the option of using the "My K-Cup" filter (so I'm not beholden to any given type of coffee pod) helped nudge my buying decision along nicely. Once I'd tried a cup, however, I was *completely* sold (there's a high-end kitchen store, whose name rhymes with "Shilliams-Bonoma", at which you can sample cups of coffee from the various machines that they sell, so I tried all of the single-serve machines). I highly recommend going through the exercise of trying coffees from various machines, because everyone's coffee needs/tastes are different.

The coffee produced by the Breville is rich, strong and exactly the way I like it. I have the option of using over 150 different coffees (I have found the ones labeled "extra bold" to be the best and brew them at the 7.5 oz setting) or K-Cups of tea or cocoa, and cleanup couldn't be easier (just open the machine's head and discard the K-Cup; what could be easier than that?!?)

I had a little buyer's remorse after my initial purchase, but with each passing day (I've been using the machine for a little over a month, now), I am happier and happier that I got it. It's an expensive machine, but for me, it was worth every penny. If you're a coffee aficionado and want an easy way to get your cup on each morning (and afternoon, and evening), I couldn't recommend the Breville BKC600XL more highly. Happy brewing!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2010 5:52 AM PST

SpaSensials* Combination Hand & Foot Treatment Systems
SpaSensials* Combination Hand & Foot Treatment Systems

3.0 out of 5 stars High Hopes, but ... Just So-So, December 20, 2007
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a terrible time with dry, cracked hands, so when I had the chance to try this out, I could hardly wait for the UPS man to deliver! I tried the hand treatments out right away and, while it gave me some relief in the short term, the effects were not long lasting at all. I feel like I can probably do just as well with a tube of Neutrogena moisturizer, which I can just apply as needed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6