Profile for Stevie Vintage > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stevie Vintage RSS Feed (Boston, Mass)

Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey, Season 3
Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey, Season 3
DVD ~ Maggie Smith
Price: $24.46
28 used & new from $18.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Bye Bye Downton, February 16, 2013
Just finished watching season three and sadly, that was my last season. If killing off two of the most beloved characters was deemed necessary, then this series is done. Happily, we'll always have seasons one and two.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 11:18 PM PST

Trouble in Paradise (The Criterion Collection)
Trouble in Paradise (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Kay Francis
Offered by American_Standard
Price: $29.96
35 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars WE NEED A RESTORED VERSION!, June 3, 2010
Trouble in Paradise is not only EL's best film, it is easily one of the best films of all time. Criterion did a nice job on the extras on this DVD, but the quality of the print is absolutely unacceptable for a film of this caliber. I bought the Criterion DVD when it came out back in 2003 and at the time felt the print was fine. But at this stage of the digital evolution, I feel that is no longer the case. We need a restored version soon!

Does anyone know if a restoration of this magnificent film is either planned or in the works?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2011 7:32 AM PST

Lolita
Lolita
DVD ~ Jerry Stovin
Price: $9.99
47 used & new from $5.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Warner Brothers Gives Capitalism a Bad Name, November 30, 2007
This review is from: Lolita (DVD)
What a sleazy tactic: WB reissues the same lame DVD version of this magnificent film the same day that they release the Kubrick special edition box set. Yes...I know...there was nothing in the description of this DVD to mislead people into thinking that this was also a special edition. I remember thinking that when I preordered it. But I figured if WB is going through the trouble of reissuing Lolita on the same day as the special edition box set, then the DVD must be improved in some way (anamorphic, extras, SOMETHING!). But alas...I was duped into buying what I already had. Shame on me for giving WB the benefit of the doubt.

Black Christmas (Special Edition)
Black Christmas (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Olivia Hussey
Price: $9.31
28 used & new from $4.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Christmas Not Originally A Widescreen Film??, December 8, 2006
(4 Stars for the film - 2 Stars for the Widescreen Special Edition DVD)

I've had the Black Christmas 25th Anniversary Edition (with standard aspect ratio), so when I heard about a new Widescreen Special Edition, I pre-ordered it. I received it yesterday and viewed it on my 26" widescreen LCD TV. Expecting not only more image (on the sides from the widescreen aspect ratio), but also a better picture from the new digital transfer (according to the DVD), I was disappointed to find neither! The picture was much grainier than the 25th Anniversary Edition, which surprised me.

Since I have a second standard aspect ratio LCD TV (a little smaller, but same manufacturer - Panasonic), which sits next to my widescreen TV, I decided to do a head-to-head comparison. Simultaneously, I viewed the 25th Anniversary Edition and the new Widescreen Special Edition. Not only was the Widescreen Special Edition image not as clear as the 25th Anniversary Edition image, but there wasn't any additional image on the sides compared to the standard aspect edition. As a matter of fact, there was LESS IMAGE at the top and bottom on the widescreen edition. Ah ha...now I get it. I concluded that they must have taken a film originally made with a standard aspect ratio and resized it for widescreen viewing. Sort of like viewing a standard aspect ratio picture in zoom mode on a widescreen set. You lose image top and bottom and the picture becomes grainier, but it fills the widescreen image area. I even viewed the standard aspect 25th Anniversary Edition on my widescreen set (in normal mode - with the black side bars) to confirm that the image was crisper on that version on both TV sets, and it was.

I'm no expert at this stuff, but it makes sense to me. Of course most films made for the theatre have been shot in widescreen since the mid-fifties, but maybe they filmed it in standard to position it for TV viewing.

So in conclusion, if you want the best (and most complete) image and don't mind a standard aspect ratio, I recommend the 25th Anniversary Edition. That's the one I'll be viewing...Have a Merry Black Christmas Everyone!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 7:16 PM PDT

Boys of the Bowery - The East Side Kids Collection
Boys of the Bowery - The East Side Kids Collection
DVD ~ Leon Ames
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $12.99
9 used & new from $12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Bowery Boys are Great but the DVDs are Lousy, January 25, 2006
I was excited to see 10 of the Bowery Boys/East Side Kids films in a nice box set. I grew up watching these guys on TV and really enjoy their banter and antics. I've viewed a few of these movies so far and I have to write that the DVD quality is horrible, among the worst I've seen. It seems as if the source of these DVDs were really bad VHS tapes. And to add insult to injury, Passport has this bad habit of putting text in the lower right hand corner throughout their DVD films. In these, "Boys of the Bowery - The East Side Kids" appears in light lettering throughout the film, which is very distracting. I had another Passport DVD ("Man with the Golden Arm") and the Passport logo appeared in the lower right throughout the film also.

In conclusion, unless you are a big fan of the Bowery Boys, I would definitely not recommend this set and be wary of all DVDs from Passport.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2008 3:56 PM PDT

The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes
DVD ~ Jackie Gleason
Offered by Warehouse Deals 4 Less
Price: $15.88
31 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Old Friend, November 12, 2003
Dear Art - Thanks for that glorious Honeymooners season of 1955-56, the greatest in TV-comedy history. Your talent combined with the miracle of DVD technology will bring joy to millions of people for decades (centuries!) to come.
Your life truly made a difference.
Sincerely,
Steve from Boston
(A Honeymooners fan of 30 years)