Profile for NLB > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

NLB RSS Feed (New Jersey)

Page: 1 | 2
DuPont TY122S Disposable Elastic Wrist, Bootie & Hood White Tyvek Coverall Suit 1414, Size Large, Sold by the Each
Offered by BP MEDICAL SUPPLIES
Price: $8.69
11 used & new from $2.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, maybe a touch small, October 18, 2012
Nicely put together with sturdy construction.

I was a little surprised at the sizing. I'm 5' 10" and about 180lbs so pretty average male build and I found the large to be just barely big enough. My range of motion wasn't constrained but as soon as I started to move much the legs and sleeves would ride up a goodly amount. This was OK for my purposes but if you're going to be exposed to, e.g., fiberglass insulation, keep in mind you might end up with some itchy bands on your forearms and shins.

Dripless 10oz Industrial Ergonomic Composite Caulk Gun
Dripless 10oz Industrial Ergonomic Composite Caulk Gun
Price: $12.98
13 used & new from $12.98

3.0 out of 5 stars It's decent, maybe not quite worth the cost depending on your use., October 18, 2012
I'd call it "drips less" rather than "dripless" as there are still some drips to contend with in my experience (although much less than with your typical gun).

The 18:1 ratio is great if you're working with thick or cold caulks, but with your run-of-the-mill caulk or sealants, you're trading an easier trigger squeeze for more frequent squeezing. I find it easier to lay down a long, consistent bead (e.g., 8' of baseboard to wall caulking) with guns that offer less mechanical advantage.

Last quibble is that there is no recess at the "nozzle" end of the gun to hold the caulk tube in place. Not normally a huge issue because the tube is pressed into place by the plunger but, at times, the tube can get jostled out of position.

Otherwise, pretty nicely put together, sturdy, the trigger's a good/comfortable shape. It has its place but there a probably better "compromise" guns for general painting/household use.

Triangle Bulbs 55951 20W MR11 FTD Halogen Flood Light Bulbs, 10-Piece
Triangle Bulbs 55951 20W MR11 FTD Halogen Flood Light Bulbs, 10-Piece
Price: $11.99
5 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice price. Light quality not quite there., August 19, 2012
These bulbs are attractively priced. The light they cast has a noticeable red tone at the edges of the light pattern. For the price, I'm willing to live with it (I'm using these mostly as accent lights). If the lighting is going to feature prominently in your room though, I'd probably pass on these.

Taylor Weekend Warrior Grill /Smoker Thermometer
Taylor Weekend Warrior Grill /Smoker Thermometer
Price: $15.03
14 used & new from $12.36

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time., August 19, 2012
Two big issues with this thermometer:

1) It's not so accurate to begin with, and there doesn't seem to be any way to calibrate it. The thermometer that I received reads about 50* low. Ok, that's not so great, but on its own I could learn to deal with it.

2) It's really, really slow to respond to changes in temp. Using the Taylor alongside a known-to-be-accurate digital thermometer, the Taylor will "hang" at a given temp for as long as 30 minutes after the digital thermo has shown a change in temp. So - if I were going only by the Taylor, it could seem like my temp was holding at a steady 250* when it had actually spent the last half hour spiked up to 300*.

The large dial is nice, but the performance just isn't there.

Imusa Steamer Pot, Aluminum, 32-Quart
Imusa Steamer Pot, Aluminum, 32-Quart
Offered by DropAir
Price: $51.93
4 used & new from $44.47

3.0 out of 5 stars As of Nov. 2011, not the one you want for making a micro UDS, November 19, 2011
This is probably fine as a steamer, although the aluminum is very thin gauge. I'd be hesitant to use it for anything other than steaming/boiling -- I think it's so thin you'd have trouble with hot spots and scorching.

If, like me, you bought this with the idea of using it together with a Weber Smokey Joe to make a micro/mini ugly drum smoker, you will probably disappointed. As of November 2011, Amazon is selling the made in Colombia version, which is not the same diameter as the made in China version. As a result, it is not compatible with the Smokey Joe lid and won't work for that purpose.

Casio Men's MQ24-7E Black Casual Watch
Casio Men's MQ24-7E Black Casual Watch
Price: $9.17
16 used & new from $7.58

3.0 out of 5 stars SHORT watchband, October 25, 2011
I'm a big fan of the watch itself, but it just barely fits around my (average-sized) wrist. The buckle is on the last hole of the strap, with barely enough strap left to slip into the "keeper". As a result, I'm wary of the buckle coming undone and the the watch falling off -- and the watch is so light, it's not as though I'd necessarily notice right when it fell off.

That said, for the price and style it's tough to beat. I might look for a replacement band, but the watch was so inexpensive itself that I'm hesitant to double the cost (or more!) by getting a new band.

Medieval Castle Playhouse
Medieval Castle Playhouse
Offered by Right Start
Price: $36.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids had a blast with this one, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Medieval Castle Playhouse (Toy)
Title pretty much says it all -- kids thought it was awesome. Be forewarned, it took at least three adults to put it together (nothing too complicated, just big floppy pieces of cardboard to hold upright/align). It made it through the birthday party and for about a week after that...which I think is pretty good durability. Good stuff.

Aztec Imports Princess Castle Pinata
Aztec Imports Princess Castle Pinata

3.0 out of 5 stars tough castle, October 25, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
We got the princess castle pinata for our daughter's sixth birthday party. If I were to describe the kids' reaction, it would be initial excitement, followed shortly after by frustration, followed by excitement at getting the candy.

As other reviewers note, this pinata is sturdy -- maybe too much so. It survived a good dozen or more whacks from the kids (using a heavy, hard wood dowel, too!), only surrendering the candy within after a few whacks from the parents.

Navy Blue Baby Boy & Boys Captain Sailor Tuxedo Special Occation Suit, White Pants, Jacket, Bowtie, Shirt, Hat
Offered by iGirlDress
Price: $35.00
2 used & new from $32.90

2.0 out of 5 stars meh, October 19, 2011
The good: the outfit is cute.

The YMMV: the sizing seemed way off. Having read other reviews for similar items, and guessing better too big than small, we ordered a 4T for our (average sized) 2.5 year old. Wow, this was a really, really small 4T! Moreover, the pants and shirt/jacket seemed out of proportion on our son, with the pants larger than the I'd expect based on the size of the shirt/jacket.

The bad: really poor quality. At the price, considering what you get, it was clear that this outfit was not going to ever be a hand-me-down. But within the first hour of wear, the jacket lost two buttons and the shirt lost one! Speaking of the shirt, it is made of a fabric that is both nearly translucent and yet stiff and scratchy at the same time.

The summary: so, we sort of got one use out of this, not sure you can do better at any comparable price, but be aware of the tradeoffs.

Schwinn Jasmine Girls' Bike (16-Inch Wheels)
Schwinn Jasmine Girls' Bike (16-Inch Wheels)

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, Sturdy, Cheap, Heavy -- pick two, July 19, 2011
We bought this bike for our daughter, who is now five, tall, and strong for her age. It's not the least expensive bike out there by any means, but is meaningfully less expensive than plenty of others.

Unlike other reviewers, the package arrived at our house reasonably intact and the bike itself was in fine shape. The assembly manual was indeed nearly useless but assembly was pretty straight forward all the same. All the necessary hardware was provided and the tools needed are typical homeowner type stuff.

Our daughter loved the streamers and color and the name "Jasmine." It is sturdy.

For the negative:

- this bike is heavy.
- the bike really weighs a lot.
- every time I move it I'm surprised at how dense the bike is.
- what is this, made of lead?
- useless, pointless hand brakes.

I understand that this is a relatively inexpensive bike, and that kid bikes take a lot of abuse, and that the extra weight lowers the center of gravity. But the thing is so.damn.heavy. that it's hard for my daughter to get enough momentum going to find her balance, and that it's hard for her to maintain any momentum on (even very slight) hills. It's heavier than my bike, heavier than my spouse's bike, and heavier than the trail-a-bike we also use with our daughter.

Also, the handbrakes. Why? As shipped, the brake levers are so far from the grips that I can't imagine any child having the reach or hand strength to use them, and within the narrow range of adjustment that any typical parent will be able to make, I don't see a way to fix this. For a kid who's learning to ride, they just add complication. Stick with the coaster brake. Speaking of which...

The coaster brake requires almost 80 degrees of backward pedaling to engage, which seems like a lot to me. I know coasters are adjustable (not that the manual describes how to do so), but I think it's unlikely that most parents will undertake that project.

So on the positive side, it's inexpensive and solidly built, and on the negative side, it's cheap and heavy.

Page: 1 | 2