Profile for Bobbewig > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 648

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bobbewig RSS Feed (New Jersey, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip: A Novel
Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $8.54

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 Stars -- An Action-Packed Military Thriller Marred By A Larger-Than-Life Hero And Some Unrealistic Dialogue!, September 30, 2014
In brief, Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip involves Navy Seal, Gil Shannon -- one of America's most lethal snipers -- who, in defiance of the president, launches an almost impossible mission comprised of Seal Team Six and Delta Force fighters to free a female helicopter pilot being held captive by Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan.

On the positive side, Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip is a very fast-paced, gripping military thriller that is packed with non-stop action. The military action scenes will make you feel you are right there in the middle of the mission. Further, the authors do a good job in conveying their viewpoint (with which I agree) on the selfless service provided by our Special Forces versus the (at times) more selfish, personal, political interests of the President and other high level bureaucrats.

These positives, however, are offset somewhat by what I considered to be some unbelievable exploits of the main character, Gil Shannon, who comes across as so larger-than-life that he seems invincible. This opinion stems from his ability to be a non-stop killing machine despite encountering multiple, simultaneous serious injuries -- any one of which would likely stop a normal person. Further, while I found Shannon's salty manner of speaking with his fellow soldiers to be credible, I had a minor problem with how he developed a John Wayne-like manner of speaking when talking to his wife and women in general. That is, I found his attitude to be a bit too deferential, bordering on being condescending. For example, don't all men when engaged in conversation with their wife refer to her as "ma'am"? As a result of these factors I have deducted one star -- 1 1/2 stars if Amazon allowed it -- from my rating.

If you think you would not be bothered by what I mentioned as offsetting factors, than I think you will enjoy Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip very much.

Fisher-Price Power Wheels Ford Mustang Ride-On, Yellow [Amazon Exclusive]
Fisher-Price Power Wheels Ford Mustang Ride-On, Yellow [Amazon Exclusive]
Price: $289.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Inexpensive But Lots Of Fun -- Just Like A Real Ford Mustang!, September 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you want to be even more of a hero/heroine to your small child, niece or nephew than you already are and don't mind spending about $300 for a toy car, the Fisher-Price Power Wheels Ford Mustang Ride On in its sharp yellow color will definitely enable you to achieve that goal. Fisher-Price says the recommended age range for this car is 3-5 years, although my 7 year nephew fits in it fine.

The only problem that seems to exist with this car is getting the kid(s) out of it once they get into it.

After all, what's not to like about this car (other than, perhaps, its price tag)? Its sharp looking, its durable, it seats two relatively comfortably, it drives on both hard surfaces and grass, it's powerful (for a little kid) as it is powered by a 12 volt battery that can drive at two speeds -- 2.5mph and 5mph, it comes with a battery charger, it drives in forward and reverse, it has some safety features for beginners like high-speed lockout and Power-Lock brakes, it has a radio that plays a few melodies, and it has a pretend key that activates engine sounds.

As to assembly, it is relatively easy with a good set of directions. It only took about an hour from the time it was removed from the box to the time it "hit the road."

Watch Me Go
Watch Me Go
by Mark Wisniewski
Price: $19.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell Far Below Expectations!, September 22, 2014
This review is from: Watch Me Go (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I selected Watch Me Go from Amazon Vine to read and review because of the blurb its publisher uses to position the book -- Richard Price meets A Simple Plan in this soulful, riveting novel that shows us that no matter how high the odds, there can always be hope..

I won't provide a summary of this book as this can be found in the Amazon Book Description. Instead, I'll provide my opinion which, hopefully, will help in deciding if Watch Me Go is a book for you.

Bottom line for me is that Wisniewski's Watch Me Go has virtually no resemblance to Richard Price's skills in terms of literary style, character development, narrative, and realistic, "from the street" dialogue. Further, Watch Me Go comes across as A Simple Plan "wannabee"; in that it does not come close in providing as riveting and intense a plot, not does it come close in providing as powerful and believable characters.

Wisniewski's style of writing single sentences that often take ten or more lines to complete may be viewed as literary to some, but I find it to be very disruptive to the story line and serves to seriously slow down the pace of the book.

Unlike when I read A Simple Plan and several of Richard Price's mysteries, during which I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what happened next, my reading experience with Watch Me Go was not an enjoyable one. Thus, while I had high expectations for Watch Me Go based on how it was positioned, it ultimately wound up being a book that I could not recommend.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2014 4:20 PM PDT

DeLonghi AC150 Energy Star Air Purifier with Ionizer, 150 Square Feet
DeLonghi AC150 Energy Star Air Purifier with Ionizer, 150 Square Feet
Price: $309.99
6 used & new from $309.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!, September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you have a need for a compact room purifier, I don't think you can go wrong with the DeLonghi AC150 Energy Star Air Purifier with Ionizer, 150 Square Feet.

Though not inexpensive, this product gives you a lot for your money; and most importantly, it works well to improve the air quality in a room of about 150 square feet. To me, since I've been using this product in two rooms in which my wife, dog and I spend a considerable amount of time, the air seems to smell cleaner and its various filters seem to be doing a good job in removing dust particles, odors and allergens. I say this because both my wife and I haven't been as bothered by our allergies since we've been using the air purifier. Further, my dog, who has bad allergies that cause him to frequently lick his paws to relieve his itching, has considerably reduced the amount of time he spends doing this.

The DeLonghi AC150 is very user-friendly, compact, easy to move around and attractive in appearance. One particular useful feature is that its Air Quality System changes color based on air quality. That is, the light on each side of its front panel shows orange to indicate poor air quality; green to indicate satisfactory air quality and blue to indicate good air quality. Other very useful features, all of which are contained in its soft-touch control panel, include 3 fan speeds, an AQS button (to turn the lights off and on), a timer (to have it run for 1, 2, 4 or 8 hours), plus an on/off ionizer button.

Given that this is a new product, my only possible concern is how readily accessible and expensive replacement filters will be. But I'll worry about that (if necessary) when the time comes.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 1:05 PM PDT

The Heist: A Novel (Gabriel Allon)
The Heist: A Novel (Gabriel Allon)
by Daniel Silva
Price: $16.79
172 used & new from $8.97

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars -- Once Again, A Book By Silva Is Worth Its Weight In Gold!, September 21, 2014
In the fourteenth thriller in the Gabriel Allon series, Silva has the art restorer-spy-assassin involved in helping save his friend, art dealer Julian Isherwood, who is a suspect in the murder of a former British spy who, in more recent years, has been secretly involved in selling stolen artworks to a mysterious collector -- the most famous of which is a Caravaggio masterpiece.

This investigation leads Allon, and eventually his team of Israeli Intelligence operatives, on a mission that will take them to Paris, London, Marseilles, Corsica and, finally, to a small private bank in Austria in which a mysterious financier manages the wealth of a brutal dictator. Typical in all books in this series, Allon and his team devise intricate, down-to-the minute plans laden with risk throughout the complex, multi-layered mission. Also reminiscent of most books in this series, much of the plot in Silva's The Heist seems to be ripped from today's newspaper headlines. And, of course, consistent in a Silva thriller, his latest book is one of slow-building but non-stop tension and suspense that will likely make the reader anxious to turn the pages to find out what happens next.

In the absolute, while I found a decision Allon made toward the end of the book to be somewhat unbelievable,I enjoyed The Heist very much and consider it, as I have all of the other books featuring Gabriel Allon, to be very engrossing, well-researched and well-written. However, on a comparative basis, my level of enjoyment of The Heist was somewhat lower than in some of the earlier books in this series. In small part, this is due to the action that occurs being not as intense. The larger factor contributing to my comparative drop in enjoyment is that, after reading all fourteen Gabriel Allon books, the successful formula on which Silva has based his series continues to show "some age lines" and the development of his main and key supporting characters need some freshening up. Silva obviously feels the same, as he strongly makes clear to his readers in The Heist that he has important changes planned for Gabriel Allon (as well as for some other characters often part of this series) in his next book.

Despite these comparative criticisms, I still consider Silva to be the "gold standard" of thriller writers -- although the quality of the gold may now have depreciated a bit from 18k to 14k. For me, there has never been a risk involved in reading a Silva book, with the only unknown being whether the book will be very good or excellent.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 6:44 PM PDT

OXO Good Grips 6-Piece Plastic Measuring Cups, White
OXO Good Grips 6-Piece Plastic Measuring Cups, White
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scraper Feature Is Pretty Cool...So Is The Snap-Together Design!, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review was written by my daughter.

Overall, I like this little measuring cup set! I mean, how much can you really say about some measuring cups? But there ARE a few things about this set that I really came to appreciate after using it.

One thing I like is very basic: they are white. I find I can see the measurements better when I am not using the whole cup when they are white versus black. I don't know why.

Another little think I like is the scraper it comes with. In my 40 years....maybe I am not very experienced....I have never seen that handy-dandy little tool, but once you have one you will accept nothing less ever again. Haha

Thirdly, I like that there is a halfway mark in each of them. That is convenient when one cup might be dirty...say, the half-cup...and you have to use the 1 cup to measure half. Many times, depending on the shape of the cup, you might fill it up halfway to your EYE but that is not ACTUALLY halfway; especially if the sides are not uniform, like in this set. It bells out slightly, and so OXO put a "half" line where half REALLY lives. That's probably the most handy thing.

Oh yes...one more thing I really like that I've never had in any other set. The cups all connect together using a snap-together feature on the handle, as opposed to the little hole with the annoying ring where you have to take all the cups off to reach the one you need, and there is always the chance of losing the ring or getting fed up and discarding it altogether. Or, as opposed to no connection feature at all. These just snap together, so you can pull it apart where you need to and easily reconnect the rest. It's just a neat little thing that I never considered before but now that I have it, everything else seems sub-par and I don't know why every company doesn't make them this way.

As I said, how much can you really say about measuring cups? This is a nice little set with features I never knew I was missing but now know I need!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2014 7:37 PM PDT

Edge of Eternity: Book Three of The Century Trilogy
Edge of Eternity: Book Three of The Century Trilogy
by Ken Follett
Price: $20.72
72 used & new from $16.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting And Informative!, September 16, 2014
Edge Of Eternity is the third and final mammoth-size work of historical fiction in Ken Follett's The Century Trilogy that kept me very engrossed. Edge Of Eternity basically follows the lives of several main characters, each the child of the five families featured in Fall Of Giants and Winter Of The World, as they move through events beginning in the 1960s, through the 1980s -- including civil rights, assassinations, mass political movements, Vietnam, the Berlin Wall, the Cuban Missile Crisis, presidential impeachment and rock and roll.

Follett's characters are developed well enough and his narrative abilities are strong enough to enable me to feel that that I was right along side each of the main characters as they move through the major events in their lives. I recommend Edge Of Eternity to those who enjoy historical fiction and think they would enjoy traveling with Follett's characters as they move through the years that were filled with social, political and emotional turmoil.

Is Edge Of Eternity a perfect book? Of course not; it has its share of limitations. For example, Follett's dialogue, at times, does not ring true and the historical situations in which he involves his characters often appear to be too coincidental and expected. These limitations, however, are mostly outweighed by the excellent job Follett does in pacing his book and in creating a "you are there" atmosphere for the reader.

I'm pretty sure you'll find Edge Of Eternity to be a very entertaining, well-researched and memorable book. But be aware that your enjoyment won't come cheap -- the retail price of Edge Of Eternity is $36 in hardcover. I think, however, you'll find that it is worth the money and your time investment.

I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest, unbiased review.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 2:50 PM PDT

The Darkest Hour: A Novel
The Darkest Hour: A Novel
by Tony Schumacher
Price: $19.25
44 used & new from $9.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Alternative WWII Thriller!, September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I won't spend time describing The Darkest Hour's plot other than to say it is set in German-occupied London at the close of WWII and involves a British detective -- now working for the Nazis in the 'Jewish Bureau" -- who jeopardizes his own life to save an innocent Jewish boy and, possibly, achieve redemption. Instead, this review will provide my opinion of the book that, hopefully, will be of help in deciding if it is a book you'll want to read.

Overall, I found The Darkest Hour to be a mildly entertaining, mildly thrilling thriller. In my opinion, it had no major problems... BUT it also had no major positives that compelled me to want to read it non-stop. That is, the plot was interesting enough to allow me to finish the book but, on the other hand, there was very little about it that I found to be particularly surprising and/or that kept me from putting the book down for long stretches of time before picking it up again.

Further, though the main character and several of the secondary characters were pretty well developed, I never came to care very much about them (other than the boy). And lastly, while The Darkest Hour had its share of action, it rarely made me feel that I was right there experiencing the action as it was happening. Rather, I, as the reader, primarily felt like an "outsider looking in."

Bottom Line: I felt The Darkest Hour was good enough to finish but not a book that I'd recommend that you put at the top of your reading list.

Smart Weigh GO110 On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel, Hanging Scale
Smart Weigh GO110 On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel, Hanging Scale
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Travel Hanging Scale!, September 15, 2014
I was offered this product by Smart Weigh Scales in return for an honest, unbiased review. Having now tested this hanging scale, I have only positives to say about it and highly recommend to anyone who feels some anxiety about possibly packing too much in a suitcase when traveling by air, and thus facing overweight luggage fees.

The benefits of the Smart Weigh On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel Hanging Scale are obvious immediately after using it, which are as follows:
...Very lightweight and extremely portable
...Very easy to use
...Handle fits very comfortably in the hand
...Very accurate, easy to see, lighted LCD weight reading on the grip handle
...Provides an auto hold function to lock in the weight reading on the LCD screen
...Provides modes to be able to get weight readings in lbs or kgs with a weight capacity of 110 lbs/50 kg, and
...Includes a lithium battery and an auto off function that automatically shuts off the reading to preserve the battery.

At Amazon's sale price of $13.99 for this product, I don't think you can go wrong.

Bolse® USB Car Chargers (27W / 5.4Amps), Provides Maximum Power For 3 Devices At Once With SmartIC™ Technology Charging Station for iPhone 5, 4S; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, Galaxy Note 3, 2; iPad Air, 5, mini; MP3 Player
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Small In Size, Big in Power!, September 11, 2014
The Bolse 3-port USB Car Charger is ideal for when you have the need to charge your smartphone, tablet or music players -- and particularly when you need to charge all 3 devices simultaneously.

Its SmartC technology works by distributing the necessary charge to each device with its micro smart chip; and it automatically stops charging the specific device when it's battery is fully charged. Further, it enables you to power your devices without worrying about overheating and overcharging.

While very compact in size, it provides 5.4A max across its 3 USB ports -- 2.4A max in the top port (perfect for my iPad Air) and 1.5A max in the other 2 ports (ideal for other types of devices). Supposedly, the middle port is for Apple devices and the bottom port is for android devices, but, I found my iPhone 5 charges equally fast and effectively when used in either of the two 1.5A max ports.

I am very pleased with this Bolse car charger but there are two things I would like it to do: one, is to clearly designate which specific ports are for 2.5A and 1.5A Apple devices and which is intended for 1.5A android devices; and to have the charging light go out or change color when the device is fully charged.

I received this car charger for free from Bolse in return for an honest, unbiased review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20