Profile for Bobbewig > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 640

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bobbewig RSS Feed (New Jersey, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OXO Good Grips 6-Piece Plastic Measuring Cups, White
OXO Good Grips 6-Piece Plastic Measuring Cups, White
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scraper Feature Is Pretty Cool...So Is The Snap-Together Design!, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review was written by my daughter.

Overall, I like this little measuring cup set! I mean, how much can you really say about some measuring cups? But there ARE a few things about this set that I really came to appreciate after using it.

One thing I like is very basic: they are white. I find I can see the measurements better when I am not using the whole cup when they are white versus black. I don't know why.

Another little think I like is the scraper it comes with. In my 40 years....maybe I am not very experienced....I have never seen that handy-dandy little tool, but once you have one you will accept nothing less ever again. Haha

Thirdly, I like that there is a halfway mark in each of them. That is convenient when one cup might be dirty...say, the half-cup...and you have to use the 1 cup to measure half. Many times, depending on the shape of the cup, you might fill it up halfway to your EYE but that is not ACTUALLY halfway; especially if the sides are not uniform, like in this set. It bells out slightly, and so OXO put a "half" line where half REALLY lives. That's probably the most handy thing.

Oh yes...one more thing I really like that I've never had in any other set. The cups all connect together using a snap-together feature on the handle, as opposed to the little hole with the annoying ring where you have to take all the cups off to reach the one you need, and there is always the chance of losing the ring or getting fed up and discarding it altogether. Or, as opposed to no connection feature at all. These just snap together, so you can pull it apart where you need to and easily reconnect the rest. It's just a neat little thing that I never considered before but now that I have it, everything else seems sub-par and I don't know why every company doesn't make them this way.

As I said, how much can you really say about measuring cups? This is a nice little set with features I never knew I was missing but now know I need!

Edge of Eternity: Book Three of The Century Trilogy
Edge of Eternity: Book Three of The Century Trilogy
by Ken Follett
Price: $20.72
45 used & new from $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting And Informative!, September 16, 2014
Edge Of Eternity is the third and final mammoth-size work of historical fiction in Ken Follett's The Century Trilogy that kept me very engrossed. Edge Of Eternity basically follows the lives of several main characters, each the child of the five families featured in Fall Of Giants and Winter Of The World, as they move through events beginning in the 1960s, through the 1980s -- including civil rights, assassinations, mass political movements, Vietnam, the Berlin Wall, the Cuban Missile Crisis, presidential impeachment and rock and roll.

Follett's characters are developed well enough and his narrative abilities are strong enough to enable me to feel that that I was right along side each of the main characters as they move through the major events in their lives. I recommend Edge Of Eternity to those who enjoy historical fiction and think they would enjoy traveling with Follett's characters as they move through the years that were filled with social, political and emotional turmoil.

Is Edge Of Eternity a perfect book? Of course not; it has its share of limitations. For example, Follett's dialogue, at times, does not ring true and the historical situations in which he involves his characters often appear to be too coincidental and expected. These limitations, however, are mostly outweighed by the excellent job Follett does in pacing his book and in creating a "you are there" atmosphere for the reader.

I'm pretty sure you'll find Edge Of Eternity to be a very entertaining, well-researched and memorable book. But be aware that your enjoyment won't come cheap -- the retail price of Edge Of Eternity is $36 in hardcover. I think, however, you'll find that it is worth the money and your time investment.

I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest, unbiased review.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 8:05 AM PDT

The Darkest Hour: A Novel
The Darkest Hour: A Novel
by Tony Schumacher
Price: $19.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Alternative WWII Thriller!, September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I won't spend time describing The Darkest Hour's plot other than to say it is set in German-occupied London at the close of WWII and involves a British detective -- now working for the Nazis in the 'Jewish Bureau" -- who jeopardizes his own life to save an innocent Jewish boy and, possibly, achieve redemption. Instead, this review will provide my opinion of the book that, hopefully, will be of help in deciding if it is a book you'll want to read.

Overall, I found The Darkest Hour to be a mildly entertaining, mildly thrilling thriller. In my opinion, it had no major problems... BUT it also had no major positives that compelled me to want to read it non-stop. That is, the plot was interesting enough to allow me to finish the book but, on the other hand, there was very little about it that I found to be particularly surprising and/or that kept me from putting the book down for long stretches of time before picking it up again.

Further, though the main character and several of the secondary characters were pretty well developed, I never came to care very much about them (other than the boy). And lastly, while The Darkest Hour had its share of action, it rarely made me feel that I was right there experiencing the action as it was happening. Rather, I, as the reader, primarily felt like an "outsider looking in."

Bottom Line: I felt The Darkest Hour was good enough to finish but not a book that I'd recommend that you put at the top of your reading list.

Smart Weigh GO110 On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel, Hanging Scale
Smart Weigh GO110 On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel, Hanging Scale
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Travel Hanging Scale!, September 15, 2014
I was offered this product by Smart Weigh Scales in return for an honest, unbiased review. Having now tested this hanging scale, I have only positives to say about it and highly recommend to anyone who feels some anxiety about possibly packing too much in a suitcase when traveling by air, and thus facing overweight luggage fees.

The benefits of the Smart Weigh On-The-Go EZ Grip Digital Travel Hanging Scale are obvious immediately after using it, which are as follows:
...Very lightweight and extremely portable
...Very easy to use
...Handle fits very comfortably in the hand
...Very accurate, easy to see, lighted LCD weight reading on the grip handle
...Provides an auto hold function to lock in the weight reading on the LCD screen
...Provides modes to be able to get weight readings in lbs or kgs with a weight capacity of 110 lbs/50 kg, and
...Includes a lithium battery and an auto off function that automatically shuts off the reading to preserve the battery.

At Amazon's sale price of $13.99 for this product, I don't think you can go wrong.

Bolse® USB Car Chargers (27W / 5.4Amps), Provides Maximum Power For 3 Devices At Once With SmartIC™ Technology Charging Station for iPhone 5, 4S; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, Galaxy Note 3, 2; iPad Air, 5, mini; MP3 Player
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Small In Size, Big in Power!, September 11, 2014
The Bolse 3-port USB Car Charger is ideal for when you have the need to charge your smartphone, tablet or music players -- and particularly when you need to charge all 3 devices simultaneously.

Its SmartC technology works by distributing the necessary charge to each device with its micro smart chip; and it automatically stops charging the specific device when it's battery is fully charged. Further, it enables you to power your devices without worrying about overheating and overcharging.

While very compact in size, it provides 5.4A max across its 3 USB ports -- 2.4A max in the top port (perfect for my iPad Air) and 1.5A max in the other 2 ports (ideal for other types of devices). Supposedly, the middle port is for Apple devices and the bottom port is for android devices, but, I found my iPhone 5 charges equally fast and effectively when used in either of the two 1.5A max ports.

I am very pleased with this Bolse car charger but there are two things I would like it to do: one, is to clearly designate which specific ports are for 2.5A and 1.5A Apple devices and which is intended for 1.5A android devices; and to have the charging light go out or change color when the device is fully charged.

I received this car charger for free from Bolse in return for an honest, unbiased review.

The Last Witness: A Thriller
The Last Witness: A Thriller
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.04

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 1/2 Stars - Fantastic First Half But A 180 Degree Reversal In The Second Half!, September 5, 2014
When I read the Book Description of The Last Witness, I was 100% confident that it would be a book "right up my alley." When I completed the first half of the book, in which the former Yugoslavia serves as the backdrop for this thriller and describes the horrors of ethnic cleansing in Serbia experienced by the main character, Carla Lane, her family and thousands of others, I was mesmerized and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. The first half of this book was among the best I've read this year.

Then, I read the second half.

It's hard for me to believe that the author who wrote such a credible and highly readable first half could write such an incredibly unbelievable second half. While this half had its share of action, almost everything that makes for a "good book" for me was virtually non-existent. This is because, in my opinion:
...The main character's actions shortly after the death of her husband and learning she is pregnant went well beyond my ability to suspend disbelief (and I usually allow for a lot of literary license in this area);
...I found totally incredible the ease with which a man who only briefly met the main character two times agrees to help her in her quest (which I won't mention to avoid any possible spoilers);
...The bad guys as well as most of the good guy secondary characters were very thinly developed and, for me, were not much more than stick figures; and
...The dialogue spoken by the characters often did not ring true for me.

Unless you are able to overlook the flaws mentioned above, The Last Witness is not a book I'd recommend you rush out to read; which is a shame given the very high regard I had for its first half.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2014 5:49 PM PDT

Spectrum (The Karen Vail Series)
Spectrum (The Karen Vail Series)
by Alan Jacobson
Price: $15.86

4.0 out of 5 stars A Page-Turner!, September 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Spectrum, featuring FBI Profiler Karen Vail, is my first book by Alan Jacobson and it won't be my last.

Spectrum is actually a good book to begin this series with since it goes back and forth in time between 1995 -- when Vail was a rookie police officer with the NYPD involved in a homicide case known as Hades that has haunted her for the next twenty or so years -- to the present, where she is a highly-skilled FBI Profiler. As such, the first-time reader gets to know Vail and the course her career has taken over time without having to have first read the previous five books in the series.

Over the years the reader comes to learn that Vail is still tormented by Hades, as the body count of women killed by this serial killer has gotten higher and higher.

Jacobson does a good job in keeping the reader engrossed in this story, as it has more than its fair share of twists and turns. Further, Jacobson provides the reader with a cast of credible and well-developed characters.

While not major criticisms, I did deduct one star from my rating of Spectrum because I felt Jacobson did at times overload the story with too much information pertaining to the behavioral analysis done by Vail and her Unit, and a few unbelievable coincidences.

Overall, I enjoyed Spectrum and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good, fast-paced mystery with an interesting, believable and likable main character.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2014 7:06 PM PDT

Peter Pan Must Die (Dave Gurney, No. 4): A Novel (A Dave Gurney Novel)
Peter Pan Must Die (Dave Gurney, No. 4): A Novel (A Dave Gurney Novel)
by John Verdon
Price: $18.30
72 used & new from $9.04

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 1/2 Stars -- Too Little, Too Late For My Taste!, August 29, 2014
I won't take your time providing a description of Peter Pan Must Die, as you can get this from the Book Description above. Rather, my review is to inform you of my opinion of the book, which, hopefully, will be of value in deciding if this book is one you'll want to read.

While Peter Pan Must Die has some interesting "page turning" moments and its share of murders, these, unfortunately, do not occur until well into the second half of this 448 page book. By this point, my interest had been steadily waning, and the subsequent suspense that did occur was not sufficient to rekindle my interest.

For me, Verdon's plodding writing, his uninteresting interactions between the main character -- Dave Gurney, a retired NYPD detective -- and his wife, and his somewhat stereotypical, cliched secondary characters ultimately became too much to allow me to recommend Peter Pan Must Die to any readers other than those who have been loyal fans of the first three books in this series. It's not that Peter Pan Must Die is a very bad book - I did finish it, after all. It's just that, in my opinion, there are many other mysteries/thrillers that would represent a better investment for your time and money.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 6:44 PM PDT

Hitachi DS18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Compact Driver Drill
Hitachi DS18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Compact Driver Drill
Price: $122.79
2 used & new from $119.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole Lot Of Quality At A Reasonable Price!, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not really a "tool guy" so I don't really know if the Hitachi DS 18DGL Cordless Driver Drill would satisfy all the needs of a "tool guy/gal." But I will say with 100% certainty that it satisfies -- and even surpasses -- all of MY requirements!

First and foremost, the DS 18DGL works flawlessly, fits comfortably in my hand, is easy to control, and provided sufficient power (to say the least) for any job on which I used around the house.

Besides how it works, this driver drill is packed with a lot of features that allows me to feel confident that it will make my life easier whenever I have a need to use a driver drill. That is, the DS 18DGL:
...is cordless and comes with TWO lithium Ion rechargeable batteries plus a charger (so I no longer have to use have a long extension cord with me)
...provides a maximum torque of 400in-lbs (which is more power than I am ever likely to need for the types of projects I do)
...provides a 22-stage adjustable clutch (for precise torque setting)
...provides a two-speed gear setting (to match the appropriate speed to the application)
...has a built-in LED light so you can shine the light just where you need to drill (which was very helpful to me when I recently used it to drill a hole in a dark area in one of my closets)
...has a keyless chuck (for tool-less bit changes)
...it comes with a nicely made carrying/storage case

If all of the above features aren't enough to convince you to strongly consider this product, then perhaps knowing
it comes with Hitachi's Lifetime Lithium Ion tool warranty and a two-year Lithium Ion battery warranty will help you to give this product the consideration it deserves.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2014 6:46 PM PDT

Scotts 18978 Miracle-Gro Enviro-Line Titanium Wavy Blade Hedge Shear
Scotts 18978 Miracle-Gro Enviro-Line Titanium Wavy Blade Hedge Shear
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased!, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having now used these Scotts Miracle-Gro Titanium Hedge Shears on several occasions, I am very pleased to report that I have only positive things to say about them, and thus, highly recommend them to you.

Specifically, what I like about these shears are as follows:

...The titanium blades are large enough and strong/sharp enough to easily cut through whatever I needed to be trimmed/cut.
...The shears, with its rubber grip handles, fit very comfortably in my hands.
...Its tension control enabled me to get just the right amount of leverage needed to make the cuts I desired.
...The wavy shape of the blades allowed me to get clean, smooth cuts
...They come with a lifetime guarantee.

At a list price of $24.99, I consider these Scott Hedge Shears to be an excellent value for the money.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 7:02 PM PDT