Profile for Bobbewig > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 676

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bobbewig RSS Feed (New Jersey, USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Losing Faith
Losing Faith
by Adam Mitzner
Price: $19.26

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars -- Mitzner Is Now 3-For-3 In Delivering A Very Good, Unputdownable Legal Thriller!, December 18, 2014
This review is from: Losing Faith (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With just his third legal thriller, Adam Mitzner, has become one of my "don't miss" authors -- meaning that if he wrote, I'll be rushing to read it.

While Mitzner's first thriller, A Conflict Of Interest -- which I considered to be one of the top 4-5 books I read in the year it was published (2011) --remains my favorite, Losing Faith continues this author's streak of writing highly intelligent, very credible, very hard-to-put-down legal thrillers. It's nice to see that my tax dollars going towards education in the town in which I have resided for many years have been well spent; knowing that Mitzner, who is not only a rising star in the legal thriller genre but a partner in a prestigious law firm in NYC -- grew up and went to school in the same town.

Without describing its plot, which can be read about in the Amazon Book Description above, Losing Faith shares many of the same qualities I felt were characteristic of A Conflict Of Interest as well of Mitzner's second book, A Case Of Redemption: 1) excellent pacing, which starts off slow and steadily builds to a level that will have you turning the pages at a rapid pace to find out what happens next; 2) creating highly realistic flawed, yet sympathetic, characters; 3) providing such true-to-life prose that makes you feel you are actually hearing the characters speaking their words; 4) having the main character, Aaron Littman, being so fully dimensionalized that you forget you are reading a book and not right there with him as he is experiencing his professional and personal life turn to shambles; and 5) providing some interesting plot twists.

My reason for giving Losing Faith a 4 1/2 star rating (if Amazon allowed such a rating) stems from my feeling that the ending, while very satisfactory (to say the least), did not pack as much of a powerful, surprising ending as in A Conflict Of Interest. I attribute this to my now becoming familiar with Mitzner's practice of waiting until the tail end of his books to provide a very unexpected, jaw-dropping twist -- and, so, I found myself, as I approached the end of Losing Faith, consciously trying to figure in advance what would be the most unexpected, yet realistic, twist to the story; and in the case of Losing Faith, I was able to do so.

Let me again reiterate, however, that this in no way detracted from my overall enjoyment of Losing Faith. In fact, Losing Faith is a book I'd highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good legal thriller. The same recommendation applies to Mitzner's first two books, A Conflict Of Interest and A Case Of Redemption.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2014 8:46 PM PST

#1 Oven Gloves - Perfect Grill Gloves - Withstand Heat up to 662°F - Great for Oven Mitts, Pot Holders or Cooking Gloves - Premium Quality Heat Resistant Gloves for Kitchen, Barbecue, Grill and more - Your Safeguard Against Extreme Heat
Offered by The Perf3ct Shop
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars -- Happy To Have Them!, December 18, 2014
I haven't had a chance to try these gloves on the barbecue yet because of the cold weather here, but they have performed very well in my oven. Though I can't vouch for how well they live up to their advertised claim of being able to withstand heat up to 662 degrees (F), I have on several occasions now used them to touch items that have been in the oven cooking at temperatures up to 450 degrees with no problem at all. I have also found them to come in handy for opening tight jars, as the silicone provides a good non-slip gripping surface. I have rather large hands and these gloves are fine for me; and my wife, who has small hands,tells me the gloves fit her comfortably as well.

They are easy to keep clean with soap and water and are machine washable, if you prefer -- unlike fabric gloves that often stain or char.

One concerning factor to keep in mind -- for which I deducted a 1/2 star from my rating -- is that the gloves do NOT protect against heat from hot liquids

All in all, this is a product that I didn't know I needed, but I am glad I received! I'm looking forward to being able to use them outdoors with my grill!

I received these gloves from the seller in return for an honest, unbiased review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2014 9:02 PM PST

Kamor® 13 13.3 13.3'' 14 inch Bohemian Style (Heart Blue) MacBook Air Canvas Fabric Sleeve Case Cover Shell with bonus adapter bag - Superior Protection Laptop Sleeve Case Bag / Notebook Computer Case / Briefcase Carrying Bag / Ultrabook Laptop Bag Case / Pouch Cover / Skin Cover with 4.0mm thickness for MacBook Air/MacBook Pro Retina Display Sleeve, especially for teens/women/ladies design (Heart Blue&Red)
Offered by YoSpace
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Functional, Attractive, Durable And Reasonably Priced Laptop Sleeve Designed Primarily For Women!, December 16, 2014
I was offered a sample of this Kamor sleeve in return for an honest, unbiased review. I accepted this sleeve because I thought it would be perfect for my daughter's new 13" MacBook Pro laptop. Lo and behold -- I was right -- my daughter loves everything about this sleeve!

In no particular order of importance, she has been "singing this sleeve's praises (and mine)" for the following reasons:
...She loves its bohemian, vintage canvas design, which she feels is not only attractive but makes an eye-catching "statement" that reflects her personality and sense of style;
...She is very pleased with how well her MacBook fits in the sleeve;
...She feels very secure in knowing that the soft, fluffy lining in the sleeve does a very good job in protecting her laptop from scratches and bumps;
...She considers the small matching pocket to be perfect for storing some accessories, such as her USB and headphone cables; and
...she likes the colorful double zipper with Kamor tags makes it very easy to open and close the sleeve.

This is a case that my daughter and I would highly recommend to any woman looking for a protective sleeve for their 13.3" laptop; and at a price of only $13.99, this Kamor sleeve is a real bargain.

GoPole REACH - 14-40" Telescoping Extension Pole for GoPro Cameras 36-102cm
GoPole REACH - 14-40" Telescoping Extension Pole for GoPro Cameras 36-102cm
Offered by GoPole Mounts & Accessories
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased With Product But Not Inexpensive!, December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you have a GoPro camera and enjoy taking selfies or like to get closer to the action from where you are standing or want to capture those unusual angles, the GoPole REACH is definitely worth your consideration.

Its pole is light weight yet sturdy, and instills confidence in feeling it will "do its job well" even when telescoped out to its full 40 inches. In addition, I like the GoPole REACH because it fits comfortably in my hand and I find the WiFi remote clip to be a very nice and useful feature for being able to control the camera when extended right from my fingertips.

Keep in mind, that the benefits offered in the GoPole REACH does not come without a pretty high price tag. You'll have to decide for yourself if it is worth its current $54.99 price tag on Amazon to get these benefits.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2014 8:48 PM PST

Remington Products Lithium Powered Rotary Shaver, Gone Hunting, XR1340OUTD
Remington Products Lithium Powered Rotary Shaver, Gone Hunting, XR1340OUTD
Price: $136.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I Like Everything About This Shaver -- But It's Too Pricey!, December 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like everything about the Remington YOUR WAY shaver -- from its Gone Hunting marketing positioning, to its attractive outdoorsy packaging, to its titanium-coated rotary blades, to its HyperFlex technology to allow for a nice, close shave, to being able to shave wet or dry, to its ability to fit comfortably in my hand, to its attractive travel/storage case.

While there's nothing I disliked, I would have preferred to be able to simply plug a cord into an outlet to charge the shaver rather than first having to plug its power adapter into a charging stand and then placing the shaver into a charging stand.

And, while I liked all of these features and the closeness of the shave it provides, I didn't feel that this Remington gave me a shave much superior (or superior at all) to the Norelco shaver I've been using for a number of years to justify its $199.99 list price ($176.65 currently on Amazon). In other words, I really enjoy using it but I'd have to give a lot of thought before deciding to spend almost $200 on it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2014 6:53 PM PST

Hoont Plug-in Electronic Total Pest Eliminator + LED Night Light - Eradicates Insects and Rodents
Offered by The Hoont
Price: $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Very Good!, December 13, 2014
The Hoont™ Plug-in Electronic Total Pest Eliminator with LED Night Light was obtained as a free sample in return for an honest, unbiased review. My daughter tested and reviewed this product since she has been dealing with the type of problem the product purports to help eliminate. Her review is as follows.

It’s hard for me to tell if this product is truly working or not, but I love the idea of the features it has, and it makes me feel more protected now that I have it plugged in. I had been having a serious mouse and roach problem in my high-rise building apartment for a while (I am on the third floor, and the problem was on the first 4 floors), but took many measures — various types of traps, sprays, exterminator, other brands of electronic plug-in eliminators, peppermint oil-soaked cotton balls all over the place, etc. — to eliminate them and prevent them from coming back. It seems to have worked pretty well, as I haven’t seen mice in over a month, and the roaches seem to have all but disappeared as well. I still see a few of those here and there, but not often. I received this product, however, at the tail-end of my pest problems, and would like to think that it has contributed to the fact that there has not been a pest in sight in the days since I plugged it in. The first day, I saw two large roaches and one baby roach — neither of which I had seen in a while — but I am chalking that up to being a GOOD thing, since the pamphlet provided with the product says that “under normal circumstances, it is quite common to see pests moving about frequently in the first few days of using the pest repeller…because you are now disturbing the pests habitats within the walls and hiding places by electromagnetic field.” I haven’t seen ANYTHING else since then, and that was a few days ago.

i placed my unit in my kitchen, as that is where I most frequently saw both roaches and mice, and I only have one unit. The pamphlet says that in an open area, it is only necessary to have one unit per 6,500 sq. feet - much bigger than the size of my apartment. However, it suggests that if there are walls and doors, that one unit be used per room. I figured the kitchen made the most sense, since I had to choose only one area. I have seen nothing ANYWHERE in the apartment after that first day — I am not sure, again, if this is due to the product but I have the feeling that it is definitely a contributing factor.

The roaches and mice seem to live in the walls and the digitally processed deep wall electromagnetic repelling technology is a very nice idea that makes me feel safe. Also, I do not hear a sound at ALL, unlike a slight buzzing sound I heard from my other plug-ins. And my dog doesn’t seem to notice anything either. I was a bit concerned that wires in the walls might be affected, but so far so good. As a nice little bonus, I also love the nice bright blue night-light feature.

All in all, this product seems very sound and effective. It is hard to say for SURE, but I definitely will NOT be unplugging this any time soon, and would possibly even like to get a couple more just for peace of mind. It is a bit pricey, but it seems to be worth the cost, as compared to the other ones I have had that did not seem to have any effect on neither the mice, nor the roaches.

[Apple MFI Certified] Power4 8-pin Lightning to USB Cable Cord 3.3 Feet(1 Meters) Charge and Sync Compatibility with iPhone 6 Plus/ 6/ 5S/ 5/ iPad Air/ Ipad mini/ mini 2/ Ipad 4th Generation and iPod nano 7th Generation
Offered by Patozon
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars -- Good Replacement Cable For the Apple-Provided Lightning Cable!, December 11, 2014
The Apple MFi certified Power4 (Mpow) lightning cable does exactly what it claims to do, thus making me very pleased with its performance. So far it has worked just as well as the cable provided by Apple, although, long-term, it's durabilty MAY be slightly less than Apple's -- but, then again, its price is notably lower. Along this line, I wish the Power4 (Mpow) cable was braided like some of the other cables I have, which would make me feel even more confident that it will "stand the test of time."

Definitely recommended -- 4 1/2 stars!

I received this cable from the seller in return for an honest, unbiased review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2014 9:12 PM PST

Cootree® QCY Bluetooth 4.1 Portable Mini Lightweight Wireless Sports headphone/headset with Clear Sound, Noise Cancellation and In-ear/ Ear-canal-fit Design for iPhone 6 6Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, Galaxy Note 3 2 S4 S3 and Google,Blackberry,LG , other Smartphones (Green&black)
Offered by Kumu World
Price: $33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Headphones At A Reasonable Price!, December 9, 2014
If you are in the market for good quality, lightweight wireless in-ear headphones with noise cancellation without having to break the bank, i recommend the Cootree QCY Bluetooth 4.1 Portable Mini Sports headphone. The reasons for my recommendation are as follows:
...They provide a rich, crisp sound quality -- even when running or exercising
...They pair easily and quickly with your device
...They fit snugly, yet comfortably in the ear/ear canal
...They provide a speakerphone mode so that you can answer phone calls
...They block out ambient sound very well, and
...They provide up to 6 hours of use on a single charge.

While I don't have any major complaints about these headphones, I do have a few minor Issues. One is that the buttons on the headphones are a bit hard to push and to figure out by feel which button is which; and so, I found myself fumbling around a bit to pause them or to adjust the volume when I needed to. Also, it would be nice if the headphones came with a pouch to store them and the charging cable when not using them. Finally, the instruction manual needs to printed in black versus grayscale and in a larger font size because you almost need a magnifying glass to be able to read it in its current form.

Despite these suggestions for improvement, these Cootree headphones are well worth your consideration.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2014 9:09 PM PST

Among Thieves
Among Thieves
by John Clarkson
Price: $19.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Action-Packed From Beginning To End...But Not Without Flaws!, December 7, 2014
This review is from: Among Thieves (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think the last book I read by Clarkson was New Lots in 1998. And like New Lots (and two other of his books I read), Clarkson maintains his ability in Among Thieves to write books filled with action, excitement and more action and excitement; and on these dimensions I'd give Among Thieves a 4 1/2 star rating.

I won't spend time describing the plot, which can be read about in the Book Description above; but I will say that while always interesting and entertaining, I found the plot stretched my limits to believe beyond what I would have preferred, thus making portions a bit far-fetched for me.

Further, while the characters are serviceable enough to keep the story moving along at a fast pace, I didn't find any of them to be particularly well-developed. In particular, although I liked the main character, James Beck, Clarkson makes him too larger-than-life for me; causing me to think of him more as an action hero than a real person. On the dimensions of plot and character development, I'd give Among Friends a 3-to-3 1/2 star rating.

Overall, despite the flaws described, I enjoyed Among Thieves and consider it a book I think you'll enjoy when you're in the mood for total escapism and not much more. 3 1/2 stars rounded up to 4 stars.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 4:59 PM PST

AYL® Silicone Heat Resistant Grilling BBQ Gloves Set: #1 Best Value ★ Perfect For Use As Cooking Gloves, Baking, Smoking, Or Potholder ★ For Use on Hot Food in High Temperature In The Kitchen, Use As Grilling Gloves, Oven Gloves, Or Even Camping! ★ Protect Your Hands And Avoid Accidents With Insulated Waterproof Five Fingered Grip ★ Far More Protection And Easier to Use Than Oven Mittens!
Offered by Accessorise Your Life
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy to Have Them!, December 5, 2014
I haven't had a chance to try these silicone gloves on the barbecue yet because of the cold weather here, but they have performed very well in my oven. I am able to touch the oven racks at 400 degrees with no problem at all. I have also found them to come in handy for opening tight jars, as the silicone provides a good non-slip gripping surface. I have rather large hands and these gloves are fine for me-my wife has small hands and she tells me the gloves fit her comfortably as well.
They are easy to keep clean with soap and water-unlike fabric gloves that often stain or char.

All in all this is a product that I didn't know I needed, but I am glad I received! I can't wait to use them outdoors with my grill!

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 5:04 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20