Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sturgill Simpson Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for Handyman > Reviews

Browse

Handyman's Profile

Customer Reviews: 77

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Handyman RSS Feed (working hard somewhere in California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

2.0 out of 5 stars beware of ETRON USB 3.0 chip on this motherboard, February 7, 2012
I purchased 4 of SIIG's USB 3.0 HUB with card reader and none worked with this gigabyte motherboard, so I decided to dig a little deeper and what a surprise !! It turns out the problem lies with the ETRON USB 3.0 controller chip used on many of the motherboards (regardless of nama brands)

A quick google serach on the Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock motherboard forum shows many users having compatibility issues with this specific ETRON chip and I can testify to that problem myself.

I tried Patriot USB 3.0 flash drives, SIIG USB 3.0 Hubs and Eagle Tech external USB 3.0 hard drives. NONE worked reliably on this motherboard'd usb 3.0 port !! It is a shame Gigabyte chose to go with this inmature ETRON USB 3.0 chip because all other aspects of this motherboard are excellent. As of this writing, etron only offers driver update version 1.05 but it is still plagued with stability issues. All the usb 3.0 products I tried will get detected like only 10% of the time, the other 90% of the time they simply show up as a yellow exclamation mark under Window's device manager and are not usable. When they do get detected, they will quit working after I copied 2GB or so of data. My gosh, i have never seen such a unstable USB 3.0 chip before. My other gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 motherboard uses the more mature NEC/RENESSA usb 3.0 chip and has no such problems.

All other aspects of this motherboard has been working great. Its just the USB 3.0 port that really let me down.
Hope you all amazonians find this review useful. Don't get stuck with this poorly designed etron usb 3.0 chip. You might want to consider other motherboards that incorporate the more mature USB 3.0 controller chip by NEC/Renessa or buy a separate USB 3.0 card.

USB 3.0 & 2.0 Hub Card Reader
USB 3.0 & 2.0 Hub Card Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars beware of ETRON USB 3.0 chip on motherboards..., February 7, 2012
I bought 4 of this SIIG usb 3.0 hub with card reader and none worked with my gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 !!

I tried different models and brands of USB 3.0 external hard drives and USB 3.0 flash drives so I came to the conclusion the problem could lie with the motherboard's USB 3.0 controller. A quick search on the web returned a whole bunch of users wish similar stability problems. Turns out the latest motherboard manufacturers are all using the cheaper "ETRON J168 USB 3.0 Controller" on their motherboards, which has known bug with many USB 3.0 devices (including this SIIG hub which uses JMICRON USB 3.0 controller).

This SIIG usb 3 hub is an excellent product, don't be discouraged if yours do not work because there is a good chance the problem is caused by inmature usb 3.0 controller on the motherboard, namely ETRON.

If your SIIG USB 3.0 HUB WITH CARD READER does not work you might want to check if your motherboard uses the buggy etron usb 3 chip. As of this writing, etron released driver update version 1.05 but it is still very unstable. I have many usb 3 products such as Partiot USB 3 flash drive, SIIG usb 3 hub, Eagle Tech USB 3 external hard drives and NONE work reliablly with my motherboard's etron usb 3 chip.

I have since purchased a usb 3.0 add on card based on NEC/RENESSA chip and works perfectly fine with this SIIG hub(high transfer speed and all my usb 3 products are detected right away).

I hope you all amazonians will find this review useful and let more buyers know about this problem. Hopefully either ETRON or JMICRON will come out with a fix that allow their products to be compatible but as of 2/7/2012 they are just not playing nice with each other. Your solution is to get NEC USB 3.0 controller add-on card, and this SIIG hub will work perfectly.

I did not take any stars out because this is a known compatibility issue with many motherboard's ETRON chip. Not SIIG's.

Small Quick-Release Key Ring Clip
Small Quick-Release Key Ring Clip
Offered by PhotonLight.com, Inc.
Price: $1.25 - $10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars too small for normal use, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Small Quick-Release Key Ring Clip
I agree with the reviewer who said this was a small ring, but I did not think it was THAT SMALL until I actually received it. The entire thing is just slightly bigger than a DIME and about half the size of a QUARTER. That should give you some idea.

I had difficulty puttin on my Honda Oddesey's car key because this key ring is too small.
Hope they will update the specs with actual dimensions.

ASUS U36SD-DH51 13.3-Inch Thin and Light Laptop (Black)
ASUS U36SD-DH51 13.3-Inch Thin and Light Laptop (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars extremely thin and powerful, but painful to change HDD, January 1, 2012
I have previously owned an ASUS ultra thin and light notebook before this one, so I can personally say that I am very satisfied with their build quality. Build quality is top notch. However, this particular model U36S does not allow you to exchange hard drives easily because there are NO accessible compartment at the bottom!

I bought with a crappy 640GB drive and wanted to exchange it for an Intel 320 SSD, no luck. There are many user comments on the web stating the same problem.
I am too worried about the warranty and messing up the notebook to go thru the painful dissasembly. This is the only CON i can think of. Everything else is great.

This is still a 5 star product in my eye becuase of the great build quality.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 1:20 AM PST

Pyle Home PHCT45 Network Cable Tester
Pyle Home PHCT45 Network Cable Tester
Price: $10.99
102 used & new from $6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap and functional, November 16, 2011
this is my first time buying cable testers and I bought this one because it was the cheapest.
to my surprise it was easy to use and works.

i have no idea why the other cable testers are all in the price range of $50 or more.
i think this one does the same job just as well.

Wasp WWS800 Freedom Wireless Barcode Scanner Kit with USB Base, 5 mil Resolution, 100 scan/s Scan Rate, 5 VDC
Offered by BuyVPC
Price: $361.94
68 used & new from $361.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, bad instructions, November 4, 2011
My boss had us using cheap USB barcode scanner for years. It was so inconvenient that I finally decided to get one on my own. There are not many cordless scanners on the market and they are ALL very expensive! The cheapest one I found was datalogic around $250 for the scanner + $80 for the charger.

This Wasp scanner kit is a little more expensive but after using it I think it is well worth the higher premium because:

1) This kit includes everything you need: blutooth cordless scanner + AC charger + bluetooth base + spare battery + USB data cable.
2) Excellent range. I work in a 10,000 square feet warehouse and reception was not a problem.
3) Quick and accurate scanning. There was not a single barcode that I could not read. This Wasp scanner reads 12 digit code under 0.5 second! Everything was read correctly on first try.

Now the BAD:

1) User manual does NOT tell you how to program this darn piece of equipment. You basically have to figure out yourself, which is HARD to do for a beginner like me.
2) Scanner is programmed to automatically convert UPC-A into EAN13, so all your 12digit UPC-A codes come out with a "0" leading in front of it. Basically you want to scan the user manual's page 32 where it says "enter setup" then scan the barcode under "UPCA parameters" where it says "disable" the convert to EAN13". Sounds easy right? Yeah...except that the user manual does NOT mention this at all, so I had to dig thru their online knowledge base to find this. Some user was kind enough to post his findings under solution#24878, so I thought I should share.

Overall I am very satisfied with the construction of this equipment. It very solid piece of tool. I just wish their user manual would be more user-friendly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 11:49 AM PDT

LG / Zenith OEM AKB72914201 Remote Control Assembly
LG / Zenith OEM AKB72914201 Remote Control Assembly
Offered by hot deal
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent customer service from seller QuickShipParts, October 31, 2011
After relocating to a different house, I lost the original remote to my LG 50inch TV remote.
Bought one from Amazon and the seller "QuickShipParts" sent me the wrong item.

One email to them and problem solved. They replied to my request within one (1) day and sent me the correct remote SECOND DAY AIR !!! The speed of service and delivery was really impressive. I mean, how many sellers are willing to spend money on sending you products by air when the item cost only $9.

I will definitely remember & buy from this seller in the future. Very happy customer.

ALZO 27W Joyous Light Full Spectrum CFL Light Bulb 5500K, 1300 Lumens, 120V, Pack of 4, Daylight White Light
Offered by ALZO Digital
Price: $18.53
2 used & new from $18.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent color fidelity, September 26, 2011
After reading the review by NOTASECONDTIME, I decided to purchase these Alzo light bulbs. I am very glad I did, because these are simply THE best light bulbs I have ever tried in terms of color fidelity.

It gave new life to my entire house: the wall paints come alive, the LCD TV comes a live, the wood furnitures come a live. Everything looks CLEARER just like you would with a bright day's sunlight. Compared to the old "daylight" CFL I bought from Home Depot & Lowes, its night and day difference. You will be surprised to see how "yellow" they are next to these Alzo bulbs.

There was a little buzzing/humming sound initially, but they went away after 2-3 hours of use. Great product. Two thumbs up.

KidCo Center Gateway - White
KidCo Center Gateway - White
Offered by BabyHaven
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you K. Jordan for the helpful review!, August 26, 2011
I have owned 3 different baby safety gates before and can honestly tell you this one offer the WIDEST walk thru space and the MOST DURABLE construction.

Previous to this Kidco G15 Pressure Gate, I have owned and used the following:

* Northgate Supergate (cheap but flimsy, easily broke after 2 months of usage)
* Supergate V Plastic Extra Wide Gate (another cheap but flimsy gate)
* Dreambaby Swing Close Gate with Extension (just as good as the Kidco G15 but slighly narrower walk thru)

IMO, nothing beats the satisfaction from buying a great product that performs exactly like the reviewers said they would. Thank you K Jordan for the great review! I am one happy customer (no longer have to worry about unstable security gates).

AAA 4326AAA Heavy Duty 16' 6 Gauge Booster Cable
AAA 4326AAA Heavy Duty 16' 6 Gauge Booster Cable
Price: $24.00
14 used & new from $24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Clamping makes a huge difference, June 23, 2011
I was about to buy the Cole's heavy duty booster cable until I read one of the reviewers mention that its clamping jaws do NOT close enough for use with smaller batteries (such as motorcycle batteries).

So I bought this one from AAA instead. I am glad to say the clamps do close tightly (unlike the Cole's which leave a small gap in between). The quality is just as good as the other more expensive ones.

Very satisfied with this AAA booster cable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8