ARRAY(0x9e37f570)

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mother of Two RSS Feed (Nashville, TN.)

TV Show Quiz
TV Show Quiz
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars great game!, October 13, 2013
This review is from: TV Show Quiz (App)
Fun game but there are a lot of pop-up ads. Not bad overall. Would recommend to a friend. Good game.

Raising Godly Tomatoes
Raising Godly Tomatoes
by L. Elizabeth Krueger
21 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Your Average Parenting Book, May 14, 2008
This review is from: Raising Godly Tomatoes (Paperback)
I found this author's website while browsing through some blogs one day and started reading it. And, after purchasing her book and reading it, it's fairly evident, to me anyways, that this lady isn't promoting child abuse in the least. It is about instilling an obedient spirit in the heart of your child - a spirit obedient to God's commandments as well as his parent's correction. She has an entire chapter devoted to spanking and calls it "The 'S' Word." She's well aware of what controversy the mere mention of spanking a child can bring.

If you're not a Christian, you're not going to like this book - period. And if you're a Christian who is 100% against "spanking" in any way, shape or form, you're probably not going to like this book either. However, if you're of the mindset that children do need to be trained - not like dogs, not like cattle, not like sheep - but trained with the mindset of creating a peaceful and obedient heart and spirit within the child, then this is the book for you. The author puts forth advice on how to control emotional outbursts (tantrums), how to discern your child's personality and reactions, how to teach them to respect you and change their attitudes. Tomato staking is about keeping your child near you, instilling Godly values in him and making sure that you and your spouse have the most important influence on his actions and behaviors. I personally have seen a tremendous change in my child since instituting many of her recommendations.

And regarding the numerous 1-star reviews of this book, I find it interesting that 1) Most were written on the same day, 2) It's apparent that some didn't even bother reading the book (a quick glance at the website and oh, no, spanking? Evil!) and 3) the author is accused of promoting actual child abuse. I think most true child abuse survivors will tell you that a swat on the bottom is a far cry from what they have personally experienced. Growing up in the Bible belt, I was around a lot people whom many might refer to as religious fanatics. I knew people who were hit with belts and other objects. I knew people whose parents would take them in another room, read them Bible verses, pray with them and then proceed to beat them. That, ladies and gentlemen, is abuse. This author does not advocate child abuse. The author even includes a section regarding those who have been traumatized by abuse they may have suffered in a child and how to relate to one's children. She advocates that her advice can be used without any swatting, popping, spanking or whatever you want to call it. Read this statement found in "The 'S' Word" chapter:

"If you are training a small child who refuses your order, you can skip the spanking, but you still must stop him from doing anything else until he obeys you. Keep his attention, and keep telling him what you expect, until he obeys. This outlasting often seems to last forever, but it is an effective, proven option to spanking."

She goes on to say at the end of the chapter:

"NOTE: Even if you initially do spank, once your child has learned to respect you, you should no longer need to spank. Except on very rare occasions, a verbal rebuke or another mild form of discipline should be sufficient. In all cases, Tomato staking is extremely helpful."

To close, I want to say that also I personally enjoyed the last chapter of this book. It is about fixing ourselves first and asking God to help us shape our hearts so that we can work on the hearts of our children. If we have emotional baggage or are unwilling to submit to God's authority, there is no way we can raise our children in a Godly way.

This book is worth reading - even if you don't agree with everything, I advise giving it a chance and see if it works for you. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 6:20 PM PDT

Sunshine Kids Radian65 Convertible Car Seat - Granite
Sunshine Kids Radian65 Convertible Car Seat - Granite

5.0 out of 5 stars Great seat, easy install!, October 19, 2007
I purchased this seat last spring, when I realized my two-year-old was outgrowing his ComfortSport by height. I feel it's very important to keep a child harnessed as long as possible, so I started my search for a harnessed seat with a high weight and height limit. I purchased this seat, and now, months later, I'm so very glad I did. In fact, I've purchased another Radian 65 since then for my husband's truck.

One of the nicest features about this seat is its narrow base and low profile. Your child sits low and back, and with a super-tight install, this seat feels like part of the car. Because of the narrow base, I've read in many places that you can fit three of these seats across if you need to. I have no experience with this, as I only have two kiddos, but I think that's a great option! The cover is easy to remove, once you get the hang of it, and it washes well. Just hang to dry. Also, this seat is heavy, but I think that's a good thing. I love that it's on a steel frame. It might make it a bit harder and maybe even inconvenient to move, but trust me when I say this is one solid seat. I will say that I have never had to use this seat rear-facing, so I can't attest to that. It does tether rear-facing, which is a great option - only Sunshine Kids and Britax seats have that option right now.

And the best part is that my son likes his seat too. It has more of a "big-boy" feel than other seats, and he likes that. Also, I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee (04) and My husband's truck is a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab (02) and it has installed perfectly in both (outboard, driver's side w/top tether). I know there have been reports of difficult installs but we have not experienced that with our vehicles. All in all, I think this seat is a good investment and worth the money. It has defintely worked for us!