Profile for Ali Julia > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ali Julia RSS Feed (boston, mass)
(#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (#1 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BESTEK® 4 Groups Timer With Whiteboard Large Digit Kitchen Timers BTDT0001
BESTEK® 4 Groups Timer With Whiteboard Large Digit Kitchen Timers BTDT0001
Offered by laszpower
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite a couple of minor flaws I like it, December 21, 2014
Length:: 0:59 Mins

This is a very handy timer if you need to time multiple things at the same time. This timer is quite compact: it is 5" x 3.5" in size. The left hand side has a display for 4 timers, the right hand side is a writing area where you can make a note of what each timer is timing. The package includes a white board pen with an eraser. And the white board pen does not stink! A big plus in my book.

4 buttons control this timer. The "event" button lets you select which timer you are using, "HR" button sets the number of hours, "MIN" buttons selects the number of minutes. If you select hour, then the timer shows hours and minutes. If you select minutes, then the timer shows minutes and seconds. "st/sp" button lets you start and stop the timer.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no "clear" button. So unless I manually use HR and MIN buttons to set values to zero there is no way to remove the values. The only way I can tell that the alarm is inactive is by looking ":" which is either blinking or not. If you are timing in minutes and seconds it is easier because you see seconds either changing or not.

When the timer expires it begins counting up. I find this very helpful because if I miss the alarm it tells me how much time has passed since the alarm time. Very handy!

The timer runs on two AAA batteries which are not included.

In addition to not being able to clear the values, I have one more small quip. The magnets on the back of the timer are not strong strong enough to hold the unit on my refrigerator. The timer slowly slides down. They must have tested it without batteries! This is not a deal breaker for me but worth mentioning.

I have been using this alarm for several weeks and it has worked very well, no problems so far.

This timer is provided by Bestek.

TabletTail: Lynx
TabletTail: Lynx
Offered by Octa
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A mechanically sophisticated tablet holder, December 21, 2014
This review is from: TabletTail: Lynx (Electronics)
Length:: 0:55 Mins

This is a truly ingenious gadget. An engineer in me marvels at its construction. If there was a competition for making the most mechanically sophisticated and complex clamp possible this little guy could win! The amount of gears and mechanism for making every part work is pretty impressive. And it works exceptionally well, this thing really holds! I just needed to consult the manual a few times.

It might be quite complex to figure out the first time without a manual, but the manual is excellent and shows every step in many clear diagrams. My video includes a sample page from the manual as well as the images of the tablet holder in use.

This clamp is quite universal - it accepts a large range of tablet sizes and can clamp to anything. I was able to mount my oddly shaped 7 inch tablet (7" x 4") to a floor lamp with a round post. It has been up there for close to 2 weeks being used daily and charging. It has not budged.

In a world of tablet holders that look similar this one really stands out as different. If you know a gadget geek this tablet holder would make a great gift.

This tablet holder is provided by Octa.

CAMERON'S Whole Bean Coffee, Wild Mountain Blueberry, 12-Ounce
CAMERON'S Whole Bean Coffee, Wild Mountain Blueberry, 12-Ounce
Price: $8.46

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 20, 2014
I have enjoyed other Cameron's coffees and when I saw they carry blueberry flavored coffee I decided to give it a try. I was disappointed. I could not taste the blueberry flavor, but it had some kind of flavor that made the coffee taste bad to me. I like flavored coffees and blueberry flavor is one of my favorites, just not this one.

In case you are looking for blueberry coffee my personal favorite is Green Mountain Wild Mountain Blueberry.

Green Mountain Coffee Wild Mountain Blueberry 12 oz. Ground Packaged
Green Mountain Coffee Wild Mountain Blueberry 12 oz. Ground Packaged
Offered by Lighting the Way
Price: $14.99
6 used & new from $13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite blueberry flavored coffee, December 20, 2014
I have tried many different brands of blueberry flavored coffee and Green Mountain Wild Mountain Blueberry is my favorite. It smells great as it brews and to me the coffee and the blueberry have just the right balance. I can't seem to find it the local stores recently, so happy I can get it on Amazon.

Lemonpaier® purple national style oversized modal Cashmere lady scarf
Lemonpaier® purple national style oversized modal Cashmere lady scarf
Offered by E2E
Price: $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not cashmere, 80% rayon, December 20, 2014
Length:: 1:17 Mins

This scarf has pretty bright colors but I was disappointed in how it feels. It feels like a regular rayon scarf. It does not feel like cashmere. It is not soft like cashmere and it is not warm like cashmere. The title of this listing refers to the scarf as "modal Cashmere". This is not a type of Cashmere but rather a mix of two fibers: modal and Cashmere. The details of the description do clearly describe this scarf as 80% modal and 20% cashmere but I have to admit that I did not know what "modal" fiber meant. Turns out "modal" is another word for Rayon. The material is semi-transparent with the design printed on one side. It has vibrant colors on one side and muted colors on the other side. I show both sides of the scarf in the video.

Size: 82"L x 25.75"W (note a slight difference from Amazon description)

The craftsmanship of the scarf is okay. The edges of the scarf had a number of loose threads which had to be cut off but the body of the scarf had no imperfections. As long as you don't expect the cashmere softness this is an okay scarf.

This scarf is provided by LemonPaier.

Ali Julia review

BESTEK® High-powered 7x50mm Binoculars for bird watching with fogproof Protective Covers and Carrying Case BTB7X50
Offered by laszpower
Price: $28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to focus, gives me a wide view, December 19, 2014
Length:: 0:23 Mins

I wanted binoculars for occasional bird watching. My husband has a pair with X10 magnification and stabilization and I have to say I find these easier to focus. 7X feels like a sweet spot for decent magnification and ease of focusing. It also helps that the lens is 50mm, this is a bit larger than our old binoculars and it really gives me a wide view.

The only con is that these binoculars are not pocket sized. They are big and heavy. They are bigger and heavier than the old pair but the old pair costs 5 times more.

Weight: 36.10 oz
Size: 7"W x 7.25"L x 2.5"H

Package include a carrying case, a strap for the binoculars, front and back lens covers, and a cleaning cloth.

This binoculars are provided by Bestek.

Ali Julia review

Bamboo Cutting Board Set - 3-piece Small, Medium, and Large Strong Bamboo Wood Cutting Boards with Handle by Premium Bamboo
Offered by Premium Lifestyle Products
Price: $18.74

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Cutting boards, December 19, 2014
Length:: 0:24 Mins

These Premium Bamboo cutting boards are attractive boards with a nice light brown finish. By comparison to my other cutting boards this set of cutting boards is pretty thin. They are 3/8" thick. This means they are more likely to warp over time, however they are perfectly straight when new. It is important to dry them after use and treat them with oil to keep them from warping. Cutting boards are not dishwasher safe.

SIZE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note that the measurements I got are slightly smaller than the ones in the Amazon description.

☼ Large cutting board:

☼ Small cutting board:
→ 7.875"L x 6"W x 0.375"H
→ it is 6.125" long from the edge to the handle opening
→ weight 6.8 oz

If you are looking for an inexpensive good looking set of cutting boards you found it. If you prefer thick cutting boards you might be disappointed.

This board is provided by Premium Bamboo.

The Glow of Paris: The Bridges of Paris at Night
The Glow of Paris: The Bridges of Paris at Night
by Gary Zuercher
Price: $34.33
6 used & new from $31.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and unique view of Paris, December 19, 2014
The bridges of Paris has been a subject of many books because of their beauty and history. This book is another entry in this rich history. The author captures thirty five bridges within the city of Paris at night. The bridges are beautiful during the day but become majestic during the night. Interestingly enough despite a large volume of books on the topic this is the first book that captures all bridges during the night time.

The photos are beautiful, large format, black and white. The bridges glow. In addition to photographs, the author researched and included unique history of each bridge. I learned some fascinating facts, for example, originally the bridges had houses and shops built directly on them because the thinking of the time was that the extra weight of the buildings provided the bridge more stability.

Another interesting tidbit is that most of the photographs are taken during the winter because during the summer Paris is not fully dark until 11 pm at night and the lights on the bridges are turned off at midnight.

I received a review copy of this book and I enjoyed the photos and the history. This is such a unique view of Paris.

The Glow of Paris is a beautiful large format book 12.25" x 12.25", 191 pages long. The book is printed in high quality glossy paper, it showcases the photos beautifully. Don't forget to look at the back inside cover! It contains a nice map that shows the location of each bridge.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Heat Holders Children Large Heat Holders, Purple, US Shoe Size 3-6˝, 1 Pair
Heat Holders Children Large Heat Holders, Purple, US Shoe Size 3-6˝, 1 Pair

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very warm - child size works for small adult feet, December 18, 2014
Length:: 0:30 Mins

My feet always get very cold in the winter. I even purchased electric booties to warm up my feet when they get painfully cold. This is my fifth pair of Heat Holders. Since I purchased Heat Holders I have not had to resort to the electric booties. These sock's warmth exceeded my expectations. On outside these socks look like regular socks, on the inside they have a very thick plush pile. In attached video I show the outside and the inside of a sock.

My only complaint about the socks was that even women size small was too large for me. The heel was never in the right place. I decided to buy a child size sock to see if would fit better and I am very pleased. These socks are tube socks, they do not have a heel, so they fit very well.

✔ The socks material content is 91% Acrylic, 5% Nyln, 3% Polyester, 1% Elastane.
✔ The socks are fairly color fast. I did the first wash by hand to see if they will bleed but they do not.
✔ The socks are fairly thick, so they may not fit into tight slippers/shoes/boots.
✔ My shoe size is 7. Women size 5-9 was very large on me especially as they stretched out by the end of the day. These child size socks fit much better.

It has to be noted that my first experience with purchasing Heat Holder socks was not good - they arrived with a hole visible even before I opened the packaging. When I attempted to issue an Amazon return for the first pair, it was marked as non-returnable item. However a chat with Amazon representative and the fact that the socks were still in original packaging got me a return label. If the Amazon return does not work for some reason, another option is to contact customer service directly at Heat Holders web site, the web site name is included on the back of the packaging.

My feet are very happy in these socks. As you wear and wash the socks the loft inside the sock decreases so they become less warm as time goes on. My olderst HeatHolder socks have lasted the entire winter season and I am sure I can get another season from them. Even though are slightly less warm than they were when they were new, they are still much warmer than any other socks I own. This is my fifth pair and it will not be the last. I recommend Heat Holders.

Lemonpaier® new style 100% wool scarf, women warm printing scarf shawl
Lemonpaier® new style 100% wool scarf, women warm printing scarf shawl
Offered by E2E
Price: $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fine thin wool shawl, December 18, 2014
Length:: 1:21 Mins

I love the way this shawl feels: very soft and thin wool. The colors are beautiful and its size allows me to wear it in many different ways. This scarf is made out of 100% wool, but the wool is a very fine wool not a heavy wool one would use in a winter scarf worn for warmth. The design is printed on one side, so one side has vibrant colors and the other side has muted colors. I show both sides of the scarf in the video.

Size: 67"L x 23"W (note a slight difference from Amazon description)

This scarf is provided by LemonPaier.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20