Profile for Ali Julia > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ali Julia RSS Feed (boston, mass)
(#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (#1 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Zendure™ Gridder One 8,000 mAh Ultra-durable Portable Charger - Water resistant, Dustproof and Shockproof External Battery for iPad, iPhone, Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Droid, LG Optimus, MOTO X and more- Black & Gray
Offered by Zendure
Price: $45.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice form factor and waterproof, August 1, 2014
Length:: 0:40 Mins

Zendure Gridder external battery has one charging port and has 8000 mAh capacity. This is a large enough capacity that it would have been handy to have two ports as it could charge two devices at the same time. The battery is waterproof (except when you are charging it and need to open the waterproof cover that covers the ports). The battery has a nice built-in flashlight. It has two modes steady light and SOS mode. I like that the battery can charge while being re-charged itself. The package include a pouch and a short micro USB cable (6").

The battery's capacity is 8000 mAh and some capacity is lost to inefficiencies such as heat you can expect to get about 6000 mAh out of it. I was able to charge my Samsung Nexus phone with 3800 mAh extended battery from 20% to full twice.

The battery weighs 4.95 oz, and is 3.5" x 1.75" x 1" in size. This battery has a bright charge level indicator, the indicator when you plug in a device or when you press the on button and then turns off in a second or two.

To tell how various battery packs perform I measure their performance with a current monitor. I use Samsung Nexus phone and iPad Mini for testing to give me a Android and an Apple mobile devices. I test all my chargers using the same charging cables and starting all tests at same charge level of the phone to account for non-linear charging. This allows me to compare different batteries to each other so I can rate the battery keeping everything else constant. The battery charger worked on both devices but was not among the speediest ones.

Samsung Nexus phone:
Zendure Gridder USB port:__________0.84A/5.04V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V)

iPad Mini tablet:
Zendure Gridder USB port:___ 1.36A/5.02V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V)

This a nice battery for active life style - hiking, biking, etc - you will not need to worry the battery is going to get damaged if you drop it or gets wet. It is not the fastest charger out there but it has a compact size and a nice form factor for the capacity it offers.

This battery back is provided by Zendure.

Ali Julia review

[3*USB 3.0 + Card Reader Slot + OTG Support] Inateck® Bus-Powered USB 3.0 3-Port Compact Hub with SDXC SDHC SD Card Reader Combo Special for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs with USB Micro Interface OTG Adapter Hub for USB On-The-Go Compatible Devices Smartphone and Tablets
Offered by Inateck Online
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives my phone ability to read USB memory sticks and SD cards, August 1, 2014
Length:: 0:54 Mins

My main interest in this USB hub was to give my phone to read USB sticks and SD/micro SD cards, as my phone does not have ports that allow me to insert any external media. This INATECK hub in combination with a free Android app called "OTG Disk Explorer Lite" from Anda Studio gave me this ability!

INATECK hub has 4 USB slots and 1 SD card slot (it also comes with a jacket adapter for micro SD card). Its 10 inch cord has a double port: (1) USB that allows me to connect it to my desktop or laptop and (2) micro USB port that allows me to connect it to my phone.

I compared its performance as a card reader with my favorite dedicated card reader (using the same SD card and the same slot on my computer). To my surprise INATECK was faster. Its average read speed was faster (22.4 MB/s vs 18.5 MB/s) and its average write speed was faster (5.1 MB/s vs 4.4 MB/s). I included performance graphs in my video for those who like the visual representation.

I also tested USB slots and they performed well as well by charging both my Android phone and iPad Mini tablet.

Overall size of the hub is 4.25" x 1.25" x 0.85" with a 10.5 inch cord.

I am very pleased to be able to access external storage from my phone.

This USB hub is provided by INATECK.

Kingtop USB 3.0 Adapter Coupler , 12 Pack
Kingtop USB 3.0 Adapter Coupler , 12 Pack
Offered by Kingtop
Price: $49.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A large variety of adapters, August 1, 2014
Length:: 1:03 Mins

This package contains a 12 pack of various adapters. Individual adapters typically cost around $3 so if you need many of them this pack can be a good deal.

♦ USB 3.0 Vertical Male to Female Right Angle Adapter Coupler (2)
♦ Right Angle USB 3.0 type A Male to Female (2)
♦ USB 3.0 Type A Female to Micro Male Adapter*1 Pack
♦ USB 3.0 A Female to Female Coupler Adapter (2)
♦ USB 3.0 Extension Adapter Coupler - A - Male to A - Female (2)
♦ USB 3.0 Extension Adapter Coupler- type A Female to B Cable
♦ USB 3.0 Extension Adapter Coupler- USB B Female to B Female
♦ USB 3.0 Extension Adapter Coupler- USB B Female to USB Micro B

My favorite adapter is an angle adapter, it allows me to use cables at a angle that works better for me. In attached video you see how I use one of the adapters to use a USB stick in an MP3 player. Instead of sticking out for the back the angle adapter allows me to position the USB stick to run along the back of the speaker. It takes up less room and I can put it against the wall!

The adapters appear to be well made, and I have not ran into any that did not work.

This pack is provided by Kingtop.

Ali Julia review

Deshedding Tool for Pets - Fur Eliminator for Short/Long Hair Dogs & Cats - 76mm Changeable Head - Easy-to-Use Grooming Tool Removes Undercoat & Loose Hair - Reduces Shedding up to 90% - FREE 46mm HEAD INCLUDED - Money Back Guarantee
Offered by Solve-it
Price: $38.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - very effective!, July 31, 2014
Length:: 0:37 Mins

This deshedding tool is very effective. It removes an enormous amount of hair. Our long haired kitty loves being brushed and she liked being brushed with this brush as much as the old one. The kitty was willing to stay there as long as a human was willing to brush her.

This brush removes significantly more hair than the old brush we use every day. Be prepared to be totally covered with hair yourself. My husband looked like a cat himself after he was done brushing, static electricity made the hair cling to his shirt and his entire front was covered with cat hair.

The brush feels heavy and heavy duty. It comes with two interchangeable heads, one is 3" the other one is 1.75". The tools is well balanced with 6.5" handle. It weights 4.6 oz. Both I and my husband found it comfortable to hold.

This deshedding tool is provided by Pet's Love.

G.u.m Power Toothbrush Crayola with Suction Cup Holder X3
G.u.m Power Toothbrush Crayola with Suction Cup Holder X3

2.0 out of 5 stars Great tooth head, but the suction cup design creates a mess, July 31, 2014
I am a big fan of Gum brushes, my dentist recommends them. I picked up the Crayola with suction cup for a visiting youngster. It small in size and fits a small mouth quite well, the bristles are soft.

However, after the toothbrush has been used it turns out that there is one fundamental issue with this design. Because you stick right to the vanity top the toothbrush drains directly to the vanity creating a mess. I did not like that it created extra clean-up work for me. The handle is too thick to fit into the tooth holder. So despite having a very nice head this brush did not get much use. I did not think of the messy aspect of the design before I bought, so I wanted to share my experience.

Ali Julia review

Instant Read Meat and Candy Digital Kitchen Thermometer from ChefEez - Accurate to 1º with Easy to Read Display - Good for -60F to +572F - Best Lifetime Guarantee - Great for Grilling, Cooking, Soups and Baking too
Offered by Filmamora
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a decent job, July 31, 2014
Length:: 0:20 Mins

This digital thermometer is not waterproof and is not high heat resistant. It is not meant to be left in the meat while it is cooking. It is meant for taking a temperature measure when needed. The read out is not instant, it takes about 15 seconds for the display to reach the final temperature. Then you can press the hold button to lock in the temperature display and bring it up where you can read the display.

The first thing I do with every food thermometer is check its accuracy. Checking accuracy of the thermometer is very easy because water boils at 212°F . This thermometer was not perfect but within a few degrees of 212°F during the boiling test.

The metal probe is 5.75 inches long, the entire probe is 9.25". The read out area is 0.875" x 0.333", the height of the LCD numbers is 0.25". The small orange buttons are: on/off, Fahrenheit or Celsius display, and hold. Hold freezes the display so you can take it out from an awkward position and bring it to where you can see the display. The buttons are small (1/8 of an inch). The buttons are all the same color but the hold button is located at the top so it is easy to locate it by touch. Hold buttons holds the temperature until the hold button is pressed again. You do not need to keep it pressed down.

The probe runs on 1 button battery (LR 44), which comes pre-installed.

This is a fairly inexpensive thermometer. It is reasonably accurate but a little awkward to use due it shortness and small display.

This digital thermometer is provided by ChefEez.

Ali Julia review

Zendure™ A2 6000mAh Portable Charger - Extremely Durable Compact and Lightweight External Battery Pack for iPad, iPhone, Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Motorola Droid, LG Optimus, MOTO X and more - Silver
Offered by Zendure
Price: $39.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Rugged battery pack for an active lifestyle, July 31, 2014
Length:: 0:25 Mins

Zendure A2 external battery has one charging port and its capacity is 6000 mAh. Since some capacity is lost to inefficiencies such as heat you can expect to get about 4500 mAh out of it. I was able to charge my Samsung Nexus phone with 3800 mAh extended battery from empty to full once with some charge still left in the battery. This is a very rugged battery, it has a shock absorbing belt.

To tell how various battery packs perform I measure their performance with a current monitor. I use Samsung Nexus phone and iPad Mini for testing to give me a Android and an Apple mobile devices. I test all my chargers using the same charging cables and starting all tests at same charge level of the phone to account for non-linear charging. This allows me to compare different batteries to each other so I can rate the battery keeping everything else constant. This battery performed fairly well, close to optimal for Android and a bit below optimal on my iPadMini but better than many others.

Samsung Nexus phone:
Zendure A2:__________0.92A/5.05V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this phone is 1.00A/5V)

iPad Mini tablet:
Zendure A2:___ 1.29A/5.01V
(for comparison the best charging monitor result for this tablet is 1.70A/5V)

This a nice battery for active life style - hiking, biking, etc - you will not need to worry the battery is going to get damaged if you drop it.

This battery back is provided by Zendure.

Ali Julia review

Epica Electric Yogurt Maker with Seven 6 oz. Dishwasher-Safe Glass Jars and Lids

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it: easy, my own flavors, cheaper than store bought yogurt, July 30, 2014
Length:: 2:02 Mins

I am slowly becoming a yogurt making expert. So far I have made 6 batches and they are getting better every time. I have tried 2% milk without pre-boiling, 2% milk with pre-boiling, whole milk with pre-boiling, and goat milk with pre-boiling. I also made a couple of batches just changing the length of incubation to get an idea of what difference that makes. In some batches I added a straining step at the end to make Greek yogurt. The biggest difference in results is whether I pre-boil milk or not. Pre-boiling creates significantly thicker yogurt. The initial temperature at which you start the incubation of the mixture is also a key to success. Without pre-boiling the texture of the yogurt I get is more like (delicious) buttermilk. By pre-boiling milk I get a texture similar to a yogurt I buy in a supermarket.

The process of making yogurt is quite simple. The key is to keep the yogurt culture at a steady temperature and steady position (no moving or shaking) during the incubation period.

To make the yogurt you need milk and yogurt culture. Note that the Epica package contains two starter packets of culture. Once you made the first batch you can keep using one of your containers for the next batch. There are several options for both milk and yogurt culture.

Milk options:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♦ Pasteurized milk (whole, low fat, or skim)
♦ UHT sterilized milk
♦ Instant powered milk (reconstituted)
♦ Soy milk (unflavored that contains honey, fructose or malt)

Yogurt culture options:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♦ 6 oz store-bought yogurt with active cultures
♦ 6 oz home-made yogurt from your previous batch
♦ freeze-dried yogurt culture

For my first batch I started milk at the room temperature, mixed in the yogurt culture (that was included with the yogurt maker) in half a cup of milk, then mixed it with the rest of the milk. Another option is to boil the milk, then let it cool to 108-112°F. This produces a thicker yogurt. Based on my experience I now always pre-boil because it makes a big difference. After the mixture is done, all that is left is to fill the jars and put them into the incubator. How long you wait depends on the milk you use.

♦ whole milk takes 7 hours if milk was boiled, 8 hours if not boiled
♦ 2% milk takes 8 hours if milk was boiled, 10 hours if not boiled
♦ skim milk takes 10 hours if milk was boiled, 12 hours if not boiled

For my first batch, I used 2% unboiled milk and waited 10 hours. For the next batch, I used 2% boiled milk and waited 8 hours. My video includes the results of both so you can tell the difference that boiling makes.
After the incubation the yogurt needs to refrigerated. Refrigeration stops the incubation process. Instructions say 3 hour are required minimum before adding any flavorings, and 6 to 8 hours is recommended. Note that the incubator does not turn off on its own, it should be unplugged. The home made yogurt should be consumed within 1 week.

Since I like the thicker greek yogurt taste I strained several jars of my yogurt after making it. In a couple of batches I mixed in Vermont maple syrup, in a couple of other batches I added Manuka honey... and I thought my yogurt was better than store bought!

The yogurt maker comes with 7 jars each one has 6 oz capacity. Instructions said to fill each jar 3/4 full. So I got about 35 oz of yogurt. The entire yogurt maker is pretty compact it is 5.75" tall, 9.5" in diameter.

Any negatives? Yes, one thing. The timer on top of the yogurt maker does not turn off the appliance, you need to do it by hand.

I love yogurt. My favorite Greek yogurt costs me over one dollar per 8 oz cup, goat yogurt is even more expensive. So trying to make my own is very appealing to me for cost reasons as well as experimenting with my own favorite flavors. I love it!

This yogurt maker is provided by Epica.

Ali Julia review

Love Home Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion/seat Pad/chair Pad/ Chair Cushion/ Office Cushion/car Cushion/stool Cushion-relieve Spinal Compression Nerve Pain, Sciatica and Pressure Off Back and Legs-thickening Version- (Coffee)
Offered by Love Home
Price: $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable pillow that compresses to under 1" when you sit, July 30, 2014
Length:: 0:33 Mins

In the last 10 years I had 2 back surgeries, so I have variety of cushions and supports that help my back. None of the old cushions are made out of memory foam so I was curious to see how memory foam measures up. I found the cushion comfortable, the main difference with the other supports I have is that it compresses much more. If you are looking to improve comfort of your office chair without raising the height so your hands remain in the old position this cushion is perfect. If you are looking for a cushion that would raise you (say for short person to take to a concert) this is not the right cushion to choose.

This cushion is 15" wide, 11.5" front to back, 3.5" thick uncompressed, under 1" once you sit on it and it compresses.

One distinctive feature of this cushion is a cut out in the back which is helpful for people with hemorrhoids or tail bone pain as it prevents putting pressure on that area as you sit. The top cover is removable for cleaning, but the cushion itself is not washable according to the label.

Like many products made out of memory foam the cushion initially has a chemical scent to it. I am publishing this review after 2 weeks of using the pillow and the scent has diminished. From prior experience with memory foam body pillows the scent sometimes take several months to totally disappear, but eventually it does.

This cushion pillow is provided by LoveHome.

Viva Labs Organic Coconut Sugar: Non-GMO, Low-Glycemic Sweetener, 6 lbs Bag
Viva Labs Organic Coconut Sugar: Non-GMO, Low-Glycemic Sweetener, 6 lbs Bag
Offered by Premium Vitamins

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up for coconut sugar!, July 30, 2014
Length:: 0:25 Mins

I thought coconut sugar would have some remnants of coconut flavor but it does not. I would describe it as sugar with a bit of caramel taste to it. The directions say that it replaces regular sugar in 1 to 1 ratio, but for me it takes a bit more coconut sugar to get the same sweetness as regular sugar. For example, in my coffee it takes about 1.5 to 1 ration. I particularly like in my cappuccino, not only does it enhance the flavor but it makes it foam look great as it adds a bit brown color to it as if I sprinkle cinnamon or chocolate on it.

I also tried coconut sugar in a cookie recipe and it came very well. I used the same amount as the regular sugar I used in this recipe. The cookies were a tad less sweet but I actually preferred this flavor to the old one, I will definitely be making these cookies again.

Nutrition Info:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Serving Size: 1 Tbsp (4g)
Servings Per Container: Approximately 1 14
Amount Per Serving Calories 16
Total Carbohydrates 4g 1%

This coconut sugar is provided by Viva Labs, and the product is made in Indonesia.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20