ARRAY(0xa6dccf6c)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ali Julia RSS Feed (boston, mass)
(#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (#1 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sunthin 7W A19 LED Bulb Light, 60 Watt Incandescent Bulbs Replacement, Daylight, Dimmable
Offered by Sunthin
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Video comparison with 60w incandescent, April 16, 2014
Length:: 0:47 Mins

When I shop for LED bulbs the amount of choices is dizzying. If I can't see them turned on side by side I am never quite sure what they will look like when I get home this is because manufactures do not have a standard of how they specify what their light is equivalent to. The bulbs with the same lumen sometimes look very different.

In this review I am comparing Sunthin 7W A19 daylight LED bulb light and a 60W incandescent bulb. To illustrate this review I am video of the two bulbs in the same situations.

Visual comparison of the bulbs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✔ The LED bulb is 1/4 of an inch longer than the incandescent bulb. LED bulb is 4.5" and the incandescent bulb is 4.25" (this measurements include the base). The LED bulb weighs 3.7 oz, the incandescent bulb weighs 1 oz.

✔ The LED bulb produces whiter light (5000-5500K).

✔ The lens of both lights is frosted.

✔ Visually Sunthin bulb appeared a bit dimmer than 60w incandescent. My video includes three different lighting situations for a light fixture with the two bulbs I am comparing.

Daylight Sunthin bulb
Annual cost savings compared to 60Watt incandescent $20.74 - $2.41 = $18.33
Annual cost savings compared to 40Watt incandescent $13.8 - $2.41 = $11.39

How I calculated cost savings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When we use 1000 watts for 1 hour we used a kilowatt-hour.
The formula to figure the cost of running a device:
wattage x hours used ÷ 1000 x price per kWh = cost of electricity

Assuming usage of one light bulb 8 hours a day each day for 1 year and the cost of electricity 0.12 cents per kwh
60w Incandescent bulb ~~~ $1.73 per month, $20.74 per year
40w Incandescent bulb ~~~ $1.15 per month, $13.8 per year
7w LED bulb ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ $0.20 per month, $2.41 per year

Manufacture of these lights asked me as one of the reviewers who have a history of writing informative reviews to test these lights and post my review to make it easier for future potential customers make their buying decisions. I hope seeing two bulbs in the same situation helps you see what you would be getting.

Ali Julia review

Sunthin 7W A19 LED Bulb Light, 60 Watt Incandescent Bulbs Replacement, Warm White, Dimmable
Offered by Sunthin
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Video comparison with 60w incandescent, April 16, 2014
Length:: 0:50 Mins

When I shop for LED bulbs the amount of choices is dizzying. If I can't see them turned on side by side I am never quite sure what they will look like when I get home this is because manufactures do not have a standard measure - the bulb with the same lumen sometimes look very different.

In this review I am comparing Sunthin 7W A19 warm LED bulb light and a 60W incandescent bulb. To illustrate this review I am video of the two bulbs in the same situations.

Visual comparison of the bulbs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✔ The LED bulb is 1/4 of an inch longer than the incandescent bulb. LED bulb is 4.5" and the incandescent bulb is 4.25" (this measurements include the base). The LED bulb weighs 3.6 oz, the incandescent bulb weighs 1 oz.

✔ The LED bulb produces whiter light (3000K).

✔ The lens of both lights is frosted.

✔ Visually Sunthin bulb appears very similar to 60w incandescent. My video includes three different lighting situations for a light fixture with the two bulbs I am comparing.

Sunthin bulb
Annual cost savings compared to 60Watt incandescent $20.74 - $2.41 = $18.33
Annual cost savings compared to 40Watt incandescent $13.8 - $2.41 = $11.39

How I calculated cost savings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When we use 1000 watts for 1 hour we used a kilowatt-hour.
The formula to figure the cost of running a device:
wattage x hours used ÷ 1000 x price per kWh = cost of electricity

60w Incandescent bulb ~~~ $1.73 per month, $20.74 per year
40w Incandescent bulb ~~~ $1.15 per month, $13.8 per year
7w LED bulb ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ $0.20 per month, $2.41 per year

Manufacture of these lights asked me as one of the reviewers who have a history of writing informative reviews to test these lights and post my review to make it easier for future potential customers make their buying decisions. I hope seeing the video sets your expectations.

BelleSha Round Facial Sponge pack of 12
BelleSha Round Facial Sponge pack of 12
Offered by BellaSHA
Price: $10.05
2 used & new from $10.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - perfect shape, thickness, texture, April 16, 2014
Length:: 0:35 Mins

I have been using BellaSha sponges for over two weeks and I love them - the thickness is perfect, the texture is nice, I found more uses for them than I expected.

This package has 12 sponges. Each sponge is approximately 3 inches in diameter. As you see in attached video which shows all sponges on 1 inch grid mat they are slightly different in size. They feel stiff when they are dry and become sift when you wet them. Neither the packaging nor Amazon description states the material that they made out. I contacted the manufacturer and learned that they are made out of natural cellulose (wood fibers).

They feel great on my skin, and I now use them not only in my skin but in the shower as well. They are not harsh but remove dead skin very effectively. For cosmetics use I particularly like using them remove the facial facial mask.

The sponges are durable and can be re-used many times. The easiest way to keep a sponge bacteria free is to let it air dry between uses. Once a week I wet the sponge and throw it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Note: wetting the sponge is important so the sponge does not catch on fire.

I like these sponges, they have a nice texture and just the right size.

Ali Julia review
[sample provided for testing and review]

NewLobo(TM) Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone 5, 5s, 5c; iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad Mini2, iPad 4th; iPod Nano 7th; iPod Touch 5th and more (1m 1 piece, White)
Offered by NewLoboDirect
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Half the charging speed of an OEM cable, April 15, 2014
Length:: 0:20 Mins

The cable itself has no markings, the bottom of the box states "designed by Apple in California", made in China. The box contained two cables.

To compare this cable to an OEM lightning cable I ran charging tests side by side using a current monitor and a 10 minute charging test. I always perform these tests on every cable I review so I can see how well they perform compared to the original.

Why run these tests? To make sure the cable is not faulty and delivers as advertised. I have tested several generic lightning cables and some charged my iPad Mini at the same rate as the Apple OEM cable and some do not. This cable delivered about half of the current the Apple cable does, and charged my iPad Mini at about half of the speed. For those who are interested in the details of the test I am including the results below.

➨ How I tested the cable:
======================

My methodology is to charge iPad Mini for 10 minutes using each of the cables and measuring how much iPad Mini got charged in that 10 minute period. Since the charging speed is non-linear I start charging each device from approximately the same charge level. I ran each test twice on each cable to make sure there are no variations between the two charging cycles. In addition I measure the current with current meter.

➨ Test Results:

current monitor: ~~~~~ 0.89A and 5.11V

✔ NewLobo Lightning Cable to USB plug cable #2
10 minutes ~~~~~~ 2% change in charge in 10 minutes
current monitor: ~~~~~ 0.96A and 5.15V

I received these cable from the manufacturer for testing and review (positive or negative). In my test I was able to compare NewLobo cables and Apple cables in "apples to apples" (no pun!) comparison. NewLobo cables worked but at a half the speed. My conclusion it is not a cable designed by Apple. I hope my tests will help you make an informed choice.

Ali Julia review

Lavender Dead Sea Salts & Milk Bath Soak ★ Organic Spa Recipe - A Blend Of Pure Essential Oils, Vitamins, Minerals And Milk Proteins ★ A Great Gift For Men & Women ★ Revive In A Rich, Creamy Bath That Calms Your Senses And Nourishes Your Skin
Offered by Gammus
Price: $17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but dosage is surprising, April 15, 2014
Length:: 0:25 Mins

I have to start by saying that I do hot baths very frequently as they help my bad back and let me sleep better. I have tried many different salts and Olely bath salts rank high among them. I liked Olely salt it dissolved quickly, it has a nice scent, but not a very strong scent, it left my skin feeling softer. There is no problem with staining the bath tub, using these salts that not generate any extra work in terms of cleaning. The scent is noticeable but not overwhelming and it airs out quickly.

The salt comes in a plastic jar which is 3.375" tall and 3.5" in diameter. It hold 16 oz of salt. The instructions on the label say to use one cup of salt per use. One cup is 8 oz, and the container contains 16 oz of salt. So this means if you follow instructions one container of salt will be good for two uses.

I was surprised by the dosage recommended in the instructions. Based on my previous experience with other salts I am using less. I would estimate that I use 2-3 oz per use. It still smells nice and my skin feels good after the bath.

I received the Olely dead sea salt for evaluation and an honest review. So far I have used slightly over the half of the container at my reduced dosage rate. In addition to making my bath soaks more pleasant I noticed another other benefit. I noticed that the calluses on my feet are easier to treat after the soak in the bath with salts (compared to the soak in plain hot water). It takes fewer strokes with a pumice sponge to get my feet totally smooth. I am pleased with Olely Salt and will continue to use.

Ali Julia review

The Friendly Swede (TM) Bundle of 2 Premium 350 lb Paracord Keychains/Key Rings with Carabiners in Retail Packaging - Lifetime Warranty
Offered by The Friendly Swede
Price: $7.77 - $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality cord and carabiners, April 15, 2014
Length:: 0:37 Mins

These keychain carabiners are nice for every day as well as to take on hike. I like that they are different colors so it is easy to tell which one belong to me and which one has my husband.

The total length from the caracbiner to keychain ring is 6.375", the braided part is 3.5". The carabiner is 2.375. The carabiner opening is 0.5". The opening is large enough that is good to keep more things that just the keys, it will also easily take a small flashlight and a swiss army knife.

The braid is made out of 350 lb paracord. The braid is attractive, and if the cord is handy to have when you are hiking for a situation when having a strong cord might be useful. When the cord is unbraided the cord is 4 feet long. The start of the cord is glued to the braid with a small drop of hot glue which is easy to remove by twisting the braid, then you cord can be unbraided loop by loop. However once you unbraid it it would be a bit difficult to make it look as neat and as compact as the original.

This is a nice high quality caribiner set.

[sample provided for review]

The Friendly Swede Bundle of 2 Long Camera / Camcorder Neck Shoulder Straps Belt - Length Approximately 36" + Cleaning Cloth in Retail Packaging (Light Blue/Dark Blue/Orange + Black)
Offered by The Friendly Swede
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice straps, multi-colored strap is soft, April 14, 2014
Length:: 0:37 Mins

The pack has two straps. One is made out of black strapping material (fairly stiff) and a muti-colored cotton yarn (softer). The wide part of both straps is 1.5", and the narrow ends are just under 1/2" (3/8").

The wide part of these camera straps is 37", the think strap on each end is 11", they are folded to hold the camera so they give an additional 5"-8" on each end, making a total length if each strap from 47" to 53". Note that you cannot use the entire 11" as you need to fold the strap over to make a loop for the camera. The strap that came with my camera is 43", so the Friendly Sweed strap can be made 10" longer. For a large person that might make a significant difference in comfort.

The pack also include a small cleaning cloth, it is 3" x 5.5". It is a bit on a small side, but cleans well.

My favorite is the multi-colored softer strap, it wide and soft and spreads the weight of my camera very well. It is very comfortable.

[sample provided for review]

Upgrade Version! Rii® i8+ Wireless 2.4G Mini Keyboard for Google Android Devices (Smart TV, TV Box, HTPC, PC, Notebook Pad and Other Games) with Multi-touch up to 15 Meters (Compatible with i8) (Black)
Offered by J&H island
Price: $17.99
4 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Android TV as well as my PC, April 14, 2014
Length:: 0:30 Mins

Rii remote control works very well with my Android TV. I also tested that it works with my Windows laptop and my Linux desktop however I found that the keyboard is too small for how I used the PCs. However for the smart TV it is perfect. The touch pad is very sensitive and it is easy to control the cursor with it. The keyboard has three ways to do selections, there are keys on the keyboard for left and right mouse click (2 sets of keys on the left hand side, and two other keys next to the touch pad). But I prefer the third method - tapping on the touch pad. Single tap is the left mouse click, double tap is the right mouse click, to scroll I move up or down with my two fingers. The keyboard also has a lot of short cuts, a button for search, a button for mail, a control for music (volume, and next/forward).

The entire keyboard controller is 5.75" wide x 3.5" front to back. They keyboard has nice feel to it, the keys are hard plastic with mat rubberised finished. They keys are pretty small (3/8") but well spaced out, so when when I press one key I don't press the neighboring key.

This is a very nice controller, a perfect match for my Android TV. Much nicer than having a separate mouse/keyboard to control it. It works well and it looks kind of cool.

Beacon Phoenix 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Ashen Black
Beacon Phoenix 2 Bluetooth Speaker, Ashen Black
Offered by Beach Camera
Price: $69.99
12 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound via bluetooth, April 14, 2014
Length:: 2:00 Mins

Phoenix speaker is a good looking speaker and can be used either wired or as bluetooth speaker. In my tests I got noticeably better sound via bluetooth. I suspect the issue with the wired option is the audio connector that went into my iPad Mini. It felt a little loose even though I tried readjusting it a few times.

To help me evaluate and compare different speakers I always use the same pieces of music to test the speakers. I noticed that some speakers cannot handle the deep bass sections of the Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, they either crackle or sound muddy. That's why I like using this music as my test because it makes it easy for me to separate speakers that can't handle the bass. The Phoenix speaker handled the most challenging part of the Bach's Fugue very well when I used the bluetooth, but crackled when I used the wired connection. Given that the speaker sounded good via bluetooth I blame the connection.

♦ The speaker weighs 1 pound and 7.9 oz. Its size is 3"H x 2 3/4"W

♦ To pair the bluetooth you need to push and hold the area near the touch symbol for 6 minutes. When you press on it you need to hear a click. Initially I thought the top was a touch pad, but in fact it is a button.

♦ The speaker runs on a rechargeable lithium battery. The battery is charged by a standard USB/micro USB cable.

♦ The package includes an audio cable and a mini USB charging cable. Both cables are 38".

♦ The speaker has a nice looking design

I received this speaker from the manufacturer for testing and review, and I shared my honest experience in this review. I hope the video will help set your expectations.

PIGEON Baby Powder Case with Puff (Pink) - Made in Japan
PIGEON Baby Powder Case with Puff (Pink) - Made in Japan
Offered by Ohanami Japan
Price: $12.39
71 used & new from $4.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Great puff and case with one small flaw, April 13, 2014
Length:: 0:45 Mins

This case and power puff are great at preventing baby powder falling all over the place during application as well as while storing the applicator. The puff holds the power very well, the handle is very convenient for holding the puff, the case is a nice size not too small not too large. And it looks pretty nice too.

Everything is great except for one thing - the cover of the case is very loose and gets dislodged at the lightest touch. You cannot use it for travel and even just sitting on the shelves it comes off if you brush against it. I came up with a partial solution for this problem. I attached small pieces of spongy packing material in 5 places around the cover using scotch tape to hold them in place (see attached video). This made the cover tighter and at least now when I brush against it stays in place. However, it is not tight enough for travel.

The pink case is 3.5" across and powder puff is 3" across. The case is 2.25" tall.

Despite the cover issues, I really like the puff. It performs its main function very well. I would buy it again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20