Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for Ali Julia > Reviews

Browse

Ali Julia's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4395
Top Reviewer Ranking: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ali Julia RSS Feed (boston, mass)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tezam Cordless Rechargeable Electric Men's Shaver for Men Travel with LED Diplay Light
Offered by FRIST
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $18.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not shave and comes with an Asian AC plug (round prongs), May 29, 2016
Length:: 1:02 Mins

The unit I received is different from Amazon description. The Amazon description states that this shave recharges from USB port. The shaver I received has no USB ports. It comes with AC cord with Type C electrical plug common in Asia and South America (two round prongs, not two flat prongs known as Type A we use in USA). I happen to have a universal power strip which takes Asian appliances so I am able to charge it but this would be a serious problem for most American buyers.

By comparing the unit I have to the one in the stock photos I see subtle differences in the case, such a a button on the front under iShave in the stock photo that I do not have. And the stock photo shows USB port folding out from the body of the shaver - I have tried pulling on various part of the shaver and nothing pulls out.

Putting the charging issue aside, the shaver did not shave. I tried the shaver on my legs and it did not work at all. I have very fine light hair and it should have been easy to remove, but it did not work. I followed instruction in the manual on how to use the shaver and the angle to hold it.

Speaking of the manual, the first half of the manual is in Chinese. However the titles of each section are both in Chinese and English, which made me think this titles will be the only English I will see... The second half of the manual is entire in English.

I received this shaver for evaluation and review as part of the new product introduction. Getting a free product does not influence what I say - I call them as I see them. This shaver does not shave and came with a plug that is not designed for US electric system.

Ali Julia review

Organizer Basket, ASAPS Green Stripe Cotton Cloth Cube Foldable Organizer Basket / Storage Box with Lid with Handle (Large, Green with Lid)
Offered by ASAPS

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice storage boxes for light items, May 29, 2016
Length:: 1:11 Mins

This organizer's description states it is made out of cotton so I expected soft sides, turns out the fabric is laminated and the sides are stiffer than I expected and hold the shape well. The fabric reminds me of kitchen tablecloth fabric where one side is has a shiny film, which makes it water resistant as well as give is some stiffness.

I got two boxes one with cover and one without. They are the same size: 15" long 10.5" wide 9" tall.
The cover closes with a small strip of Velcro. It does not close as well as I hoped as the Velcro strip is in just one spot and very small.

Overall, they good organizer for small light things - clothing, socks, and alike. They are not appropriate for heavy items. The boxes can fold up flat when not in use.

I received these baskets for evaluation and review. Nice boxes for light duty.

Ali Julia review

Shine Hai 6Pack of A19 LED Bulb 8W (60W Replacement ), E26 Base,3000K Soft White, 800 Lumens ,UL-listed, FCC-qualified
Offered by shine glory lighting limited
Price: $31.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Side by side visual comparison with a a 60W CFL bulb, May 29, 2016
Different manufacturers use different ways to describe bulb, so I often don't know exactly what I will get until I am able to turn on the bulb. To show what these bulbs look like I show them side by side with a 60 watt fluorescent bulb in the light fixture. This allows me to compare the brightness, the color as well as the size of the spot light these bulbs generate.

To keep the desk lamp in the same position I use a 19 inch ruler to insure that the shade of the lamp is exactly in the same distance from the desk. I also used a lux meter (which measures light intensity) to measure the amount of light I get at this 19 inch distance. Lux meter gives me an unbiased measurement of brightness in addition to a visual comparison. I am using CFL for convenience as we no longer use incandescent bulbs. I have tested the brightness of CFL and incandescent bulbs and they very similar in brightness.

The lux meter shows that the LED light produced significantly more light than the 60-watt bulb (966 lux for the LED bulb and 527 lux for the CFL bulb). LED bulb is brighter, CFL bulb is slightly warmer, the shadows are similar.

This bulb is shaped as an incandescent bulb, has the same size as an incandescent bulb, and casts omni directional light similar to an incandescent bulb. This bulb comes on instantly. In my photos I show it on 1/2" grid for size reference.

These LED bulbs are provided by Shine Hai for testing and review as part of the new product introduction. This is a nice set of bulbs! The bulbs are quite bright and look very similar to the good ol' incandescent.

Ali Julia review

Andoer® Auto Focus EF-NEX II Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EF EF-S Lens to Sony NEX E Mount camera such as Sony 3/ 3N/ 5N/ 5R/ 7/ A7/ A7R/ A7S/ A5000/ A5100/ A6000 Full Frame
Offered by andoer
Price: $55.00
2 used & new from $53.88

3.0 out of 5 stars EFS 17-85 mm Canon lens: Aperture = YES, Autofocus = NO, May 28, 2016
Length:: 1:40 Mins

My favorite lens on Canon Rebel is EFS 17-85 mm Canon lens. I would love to be able to use it with my SONY NEX5N. This mount is designed to make this combo work and I was very excited to try it. Unfortunately, it did not work as well as I hoped.

Most significantly auto focus works maybe in one time out every ten attempts. It tries, it just does not find it the focus most of the time. When it works NEX5N beeps. You can see in my video that it searches to find the focus, but does not always beep. I tried focusing in the middle of the range, at wide angle, and zoomed in. After many attempts at various distances I a success every now and then at mid range, and none at all at wide angle or zoom.

On the positive side, the adapter works - the camera and the lens are clearly communicating. It feels solid and generates satisfying clicks as it attaches. I can focus manually. However, using Canon EFS 17-85 mm with this adapter on my SONY camera is not same experience as having this excellent lens on my Canon camera.

I received this lens for testing and review from Andoer. It works but did not quite live up to my expectations/hopes.

Ali Julia review

10L0L Japan Replaceable Stainless Steel Scourer Pads Sponges Cleaning Brush with Handle for Kitchen Bathroom Pan Pot Oven Grill(3 Pack)
Offered by GLOBAL MATTER WING
Price: $8.90
4 used & new from $8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I like these scrubbers better than the chain link type, May 28, 2016
Length:: 1:36 Mins

These scrubbers do a good job on tough baked on gunk on my stainless steel and cast iron pans. The scrubbers are made of thin stainless steel fibers, so they should not be used on plastic or Teflon as they will get scratched. For stainless steel and cast iron these scrubbers are better than the chain link scrubbers.

I like that the handles!! The handles let me do the scrubbing while keeping my fingers away from touching the pads or the gunk. This is my second set of scrubbers of this kind. I have been using the old scrubber for more than a year. It has no signs of rusting. The only sign of aging is that the old scrubber no longer forms a neat ball. But it still cleans well.

I received these scouring pads for testing and review. The old scrubber set a high standard for my expectations. And these scrubbers lived up to my expectations.

Ali Julia review

Clockwise Tools DCLR-0605 Pro Quality Electronic Digital Caliper Inch/Metric/Fractions Conversion IP54 Grade 0-6 Inch/150 mm Stainless Steel Super Large LCD Screen Auto Off Featured Measuring Tool
Offered by Clockwise Tools
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read display with three options: inches, millimeters, fractions, May 28, 2016
Length:: 1:41 Mins

This is an excellent caliper. It has two feature that made it supplant my current caliper. This caliper has a LARGE display while the main unit is the same size as my old one. The difference is that the entire front of it is a display. The second feature that I like is that it does not automatically turn when its jaws are moved. My old caliper turns on automatically and now and then it would get automatically turned while it is storage case because I accidentally touched it while putting it away. This would cause it to burn through its battery faster than it should.

I checked that results and this caliper gives me are accurate measurements, it also gives consistent readings if I measure multiple times. I like that I can get the read out not only in inches and millimeters but as fractions. The caliper has two sets of jaws: one can measure items on the outside, the other on the inside. It also has a button for tare (zeroing). The caliper came with a case, a spare battery, and an instruction manual.

I received this caliper for testing and review. Getting an evaluation product has no effect on what I say. If you are skeptical about this examine my track record and you will see critical reviews as well as positives ones as well. This is a reasonably priced caliper and a display in fractions is not something every digital caliper has.

Ali Julia review

Goodlucky365 Delicates Laundry Bags set of 5-Mesh Garment & Bra Laundry Bag - Large, Medium, Small for Washing Machine/Dryer Lingerie Washer, Baby Clothes, Underwear, Organizer, Travel
Offered by GoodLucky365
Price: $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Has loops for hanging and loops to hold the zipper closed during laundry, May 27, 2016
I am a heavy user of mesh laundry bags. I use them not just for finaries but for making sorting of the laundry easier. I have purchased Whitmore, Honey-can-do, and a few other manufacture's mesh bags in the past. My favorite mesh bags are LoopsLiving which have a similar design to these bags. They have a loop to hold the zipper in place and they have loops to hang the mesh bag. The reason why hanging loops are important to me is that I have all the mesh bags hanging and collecting laundry between washes so everything gets sorted right away. The different between my favorite wash bags and these is how the hanging loop is attached. In these bags it is attached on the inside, so I have to thread it through the opening behind the elastic loop in order to hang and then tuck it back in during laundry. I prefer the loops on the outside design, but it is better than not having a loop at all (and then I have to alter the bag and sew on my own loop).

I like this type of bags best because they have an elastic loop that keeps the zipper from opening during the wash and dry cycle. You need to pulls he zipper past the elastic bag after you close the zipper to make it work. It is rather annoying to find the mesh bag open after the wash is done. It never happens if the mesh bags have these elastic loops.

I also like the tight mesh on these bags better than bag with large mesh. The tight mesh keeps hooks and buttons inside the bag, the holes are too small for pesky hooks to stick out their fangs out of the bag.

The package contains 3 bags: large, medium and small as well as two laundry bags for bras.

Bag sizes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Large bags: 20" x 23"
Medium bags: 15" x 20"
Small bags: 15" x 15"
Small bra bag: 6" x 7"
Large bra bag: 15" x 15"

In terms of longevity, the oldest mesh bags I own are 1.5 years. They have been used on weekly basis, despite their thinness they held up well - no holes, the zippers still work, the elastic still holds the zipper closed during laundry.

These mesh bags were provided to me by Goodlucky365 at a discount for review purposes. I was pleased to see they have the same design as my favorite bags.

Comment Comment | Permalink

YIGU Gardening Gloves Women&Men, Hypoallergenic, 8 Pair, Breathable, Washable and Stretchable(size of the palm 3.7'',the middle finger 3.3'',the wrist 2.44'')
Offered by YIGU

5.0 out of 5 stars Good protection and good grip, May 27, 2016
These medium size gloves appear to be true to size. I normally wear size small gloves and these gloves are a little large for me but not bad. The palm is slightly wide and the tips of the fingers have 1/4" of the inch extra.
Here are the measurements:
1. the width of the palm just above the thumb is 3.5"
2. the length of the middle finger from the base to the tip is 3"

I really like this style of gloves - the nitrite coating gives me protection from dirt and wetness as well as a good grip. The back of the gloves is nade out of mesh, so my hands do not get hot.

I received these gloves for evaluation and review. These gloves are a good match for garden work. The bag has 8 pairs of gloves. Pretty good deal!

Comment Comment | Permalink

LongMing Women's Casual Long Sleeve V-neck Long Cashmere Cardigan (XL- US SIZE 12-14, Beige)
Offered by Long Ming
Price: $77.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm casual sweater, May 27, 2016
I got two LongMing sweaters: rust sweater with a round neck and the black sweater with a v-neck. Sometimes clothing items made in China use Chinese sizes which are smaller than American sizes. LongMing sweaters are sized correctly for American market.

The black sweater with a v-neck looks more casual then the rust sweater. Both sweaters are not 100% cashmere sweaters. The label on this sweater identifies it cashmere, wool, and acrylic (composition is listed in this order but without percentages). It feels like a nice quality wool sweater, but does not have the fuzzy softness of the 100% cashmere.

The workmanship on this sweater was not as good as on the rust sweater. It had chalk marks on the front for making the button holes. I was able to remove the chalk markings by rubbing the sweater with a wet paper towel, but these markings should have been removed at the factory. The seams are finished neatly and there are no loose threads. The sweater is densely knitted it does not fee thin. It is warm.

I received this sweaters for evaluation and review at a discount as part of the new product introduction. Overall, I like it. The sweater had minor issues I mentioned in the review but in other respects it is good.

Comment Comment | Permalink

LongMing Women's Round Neck Cashmere Blend Cardigan (US SIZE 14-16, Rusty red)
LongMing Women's Round Neck Cashmere Blend Cardigan (US SIZE 14-16, Rusty red)
Offered by Long Ming
Price: $69.00
2 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, simple and classy, May 27, 2016

This is a review of rust sweater with a round neckline. The rust color is very pretty - deep and rich. As stated in the description this is cashmere blend, It is not 100% cashmere sweater it is a blend of fibers The label on the sweater identifies a mix as cashmere, wool, and acrylic (composition is listed in this order but without percentages). It feels like a nice quality wool sweater, but does not have the fuzzy softness of the 100% cashmere.

The workmanship is nice - no loose thread or imperfections. Looking at the sweater inside out I can see that the seams are finished neatly, which is the best way to tell the workmanship of a garment. The sweater is densely knitted (not thin).

I received this sweaters for evaluation and review at a discount as part of the new product introduction. Overall, I am pleased. This sweater has simple and classy styling.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20