Profile for Phil On > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 134

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Phil On "purpletemple" RSS Feed (Brussels Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Capsule 1
Capsule 1

3.0 out of 5 stars EMAWIAS, October 6, 2010
This review is from: Capsule 1 (Audio CD)
First of all, I have to say that I am a HUGE CULT FAN, that I have followed them thru all their periods and like every song they've released (or almost every song-nobody's perfect).
Call me old school, but I really don't enjoy downloading the music; I still need some type of object to hold in my hands.
I also don't mind Ep's and singles but compare to an album, it's just not enough. I would have been happy to wait a lil more for a full new album rather than two tracks and two live versions of classic songs.

The new tracks are okay but nothing to get over-excited either. EMAWIAS is a Witch-type of song with a catchy refrain, but lacks a solid body. Siberia feels more like a song they could have written during Dreamtime. Good song with a good old feel.
The live tracks are okay, again nothing really unheard before-I mean how many more versions of Rain do we need?

The short film on the dvd part is a 4 min. clip, with atmospheric sounds and frames...Again, nothing fancy...But I can see the artistic attempt and it sure is something that could be developped.

I understand The Cult wants to do something different, but I don't get the concept of those "capsules"-other than potentialy spread an album thru 5 cd's/downloads/whatever, and the fans have to pay even more money.

Now, about the dual disc itself, it REALLY SUCKS, it's a struggle to read on a computer-I had to stick it in at least ten times and use two different external players to get it going...

I know, times are changing, but classic bands should know they have classic fans who like classic supports.

So I'd say I'm rather dissapointed, even if it's always a pleasure hearing new Cult material. On a more positive note, I find the cover art and pics amazing.

A new full album would be so much better!

Continuum
Continuum
Price: $7.00
101 used & new from $2.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Mainstream, July 22, 2009
This review is from: Continuum (Audio CD)
Over here in Europe, John Mayer is pretty much unknown. I saw his perfromance at Michael Jackson's tribute concert, and thought I'd try a bit further.
From what I read and heard on the net, Mayer wasn't going to be my cup of tea. I like my guitarists heavy and soulful, sometimes shredders, but also bluesy.Then I found a three cd box (his three studio albums) set for a fair price...
Mayer falls in the soulful, bluesy category. He's good at what he does, altough his songs are a bit too "poppy" and could do with longer solos to my taste. the production is clean (too clean IMHO), but again, in that kinda music, it's okay.
So, overall, I'm quite pleased with this cd, but Mayer is not gonna become my new guitar hero, and I believe he might be a bit overrated.
In my opinion, there's a bit too much of Sting and Clapton in his music rather than Hendrix or Zakk Wylde.
Still good music, easy listening.

Down to the Bone
Down to the Bone
Price: $26.23
11 used & new from $13.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, June 21, 2009
This review is from: Down to the Bone (Audio CD)
I saw Electric Mary opening for Whitesnake in Brussels a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit I was blown away by their performance.Classic hard rock with a good attitude, smart melodies, great guitar solos and a drummer with a lot of guts and technique. In their 4O minutes set, they managed to play an extra long song which featured two magnificient guitar solos, the type of solo you only hear on 70's Live albums-with updated techniques, and that just grabs you by the balls. The singing is great too, sometimes similar to Bon Scott.
Here on the album, the songs are short, no extended solos, but still it is very well played and has a lot of feeling. I just wish they would have extended some songs on the album. I hope those guys will have a breakthrough. This is great rock'n' roll.

The High End of Low
The High End of Low
Price: $9.55
63 used & new from $2.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another parody, May 27, 2009
This review is from: The High End of Low (Audio CD)
It's been awhile now that Marilyn Manson hasn't released anything of any real interest. I'd say his last great release was Mechanical animals, after that he just kept repeating himself with a couple of good tracks here and there. With EMDM, it seemed like something was changing in a positive way, that he was going to go deeper and show a second level of creativity.
This is what High End lacks: a new level, a new dimension. Marilyn has always been some type of Bowie/ Alice Cooper clone, both have evolved, while MM just parodies himself.
Okay, there are a couple of good songs here, a bit more "adult", but let's face it, the continuous use of the F word, the constant lament and the use of words like Swastika to provoque is just childish and unnecessary.
Musically speaking, it is an interesting album, quite diversified, but the singing and the themes are just boring.
Grow up Marilyn, your public has grown up too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2009 12:49 AM PDT

WKRP in Cincinnati: Season 1
WKRP in Cincinnati: Season 1
DVD ~ Gary Sandy
Offered by turntostart
Price: $18.80
49 used & new from $7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Music? We don't need no stinkin' music!, May 7, 2007
This review is from: WKRP in Cincinnati: Season 1 (DVD)
I don't care about the music controversy - I loved this show when I watched it as a teenager (and I watched it every chance I got) and can't even remember what music was used where. I watched it for the storylines and the characters. The characters are still as great as I remember them, sometimes even better now that I am a little older. I am not even done with disc one and I already feel like I got my money's worth.

Please give us all the other seasons on DVD!!! My favorite TV episode ever is in season four (An Explosive Affair) and I would love to be able to watch that whenever I want.

Eleven Days In May
Eleven Days In May
19 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I thought it was going to be!, September 12, 2005
This review is from: Eleven Days In May (Audio CD)
ATTENTION! This has NOTHING TO DO with John Corabi's new project (also named Zen Lunatic)!!!

Besides that, it sounds to me like yet another post grunge/hard un-inspired band.

Both production and interpretation are kinda weak too.

10 Year Overnight Success
10 Year Overnight Success
Price: $22.81
11 used & new from $14.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Near the end..., May 15, 2005
Okay, this is certainly not BOA's best album, but it still has some good moments.

Some might prefer "Balls of Fire", I think they're very close...The songs are quite short, and so is the album.The solos are reduced to the minimum but straight to the point.Dandy and Aldridge still give some good energy.

Kneel & Pray Montreux 69
Kneel & Pray Montreux 69
9 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars dP sets Montreux on fire!, May 8, 2005
This recording gives us the opportunity to hear Deep Purple Mark II at the beginning of its existence.

While Speed King (here Kneel and Pray) is still at an embryonic state, Child in Time already sounds like a magnificient anthem.

Mandrake Root , Hush and Wring That Neck are bombastic, heavy and screaming Hard Rock...In Rock all over.

Not to mention,that it features the only recording available of Kentucky Woman with Gillan and Glover.

This set is a delight for those who love solo's.

Now, keep in mind that this is an official bootleg.The recording is loud, sometimes distorted, but every musician can be heard ( on the contrary of many bootlegs).If you know you won't get a soundboard quality recording and expect nothing but the best from a dP that has everything to prove but nothing to lose, then this one is for you.

Check out the other releases on Sonic Zoom-all dP live recordings previously unreleased...Fantastic!

Teenage A Go Go
Teenage A Go Go
14 used & new from $12.83

5.0 out of 5 stars The sensational man., May 30, 2004
This review is from: Teenage A Go Go (Audio CD)
This is excellent Alex Harvey pre-SAHB stuff.Blues, R'n'B, soul, R'n'R, excentricities...The man had already his trademark, even when covering old classic songs.Special mention for "Jerusalem" and "The ballad of JFK", but also for the re-mastering, compiling and package.Alex performes with His soul band, His Hair band and other combos.Definitly a must-have for all Alex Harvey fans.

Line Up
Line Up
28 used & new from $13.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been the perfect Line Up..., May 21, 2004
This review is from: Line Up (Audio CD)
Good album but could have been better considering the musicians involved in the project(Lord-Moody-Powell).
Graham Bonnet is definitly a great singer who can deliver solid Hard rock performances as well as cool/crooner type of vocals.
It is a high quality album in term of production (even if very 80's) and performance-both vocal and musical, but sometimes feels like an embryonic version of Rainbow's "Down to Earth" or Whitesnake's "Slide it In".
A must have for every Bonnet fan, Jon Lord and Micky Moody fans will find the solos a bit short...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14