Profile for B. Ambrosius > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Ambrosius RSS Feed (Netherlands)

Vi iMproved (VIM)
Vi iMproved (VIM)
by Steve Oualline
Price: $35.68
48 used & new from $3.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Stiff, October 17, 2006
This review is from: Vi iMproved (VIM) (Paperback)
I agree with David DelGreco. My review is mixed because a lot is covered and well explained, but the information is dispersed all over the place and sometimes plain wrong. It would be good to see sections for the *mouse way*, *visual way* and *Vi-ish way* from the start.

I have two criticisms that I have not read in the other reviews that makes my opinion rather negative. First and foremost, the book is STIFF. A tutorial book should remain open on the page without having to put your hand on it. I'm having it beside me now, and the only page that is willing to remain open is the title page. Even thumbing to the index is a chore. It's like paging through a carton book for 2-year olds. I have a grandchild now, so I know how it feels. It makes the book almost unusable.

My second criticism is the chosen font. You can hardly see the difference between uppercase and lowercase, and that is rather important. I've had several times wondering why a command didn't work because of this.

And why are 'vimrc' and 'configuration file' not in the index? I still have to find them somewhere in the book. I gave up and looked up on the internet how to set the colorscheme in vimrc (it's ":colorscheme desert" b.t.w.)

So a lot of it is good and it has some really bad points. Mixed feelings...