Profile for Jeffrey A. Miller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey A. Miller "OldProf" RSS Feed (Naperville, IL)

iPhone 6 Case, Benuo [Card Slot Vintage Series] [Genuine Leather] Folio Flip Corrected Grain Leather Case [3 Card Slots] with Magnetic Closure for iPhone 6 4.7 inch (Brown)
Offered by Benuo US
Price: $55.99
3 used & new from $25.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for iPhone 6, December 5, 2014
My case fit perfectly and looks great. I am delighted. It is a far better value than cases at the official store or site. This is especially good for people who want a case that protects the screen.

Backstage Wall Street: An Insider’s Guide to Knowing Who to Trust, Who to Run From, and How to Maximize Your Investments
by Joshua Brown
Price: $20.24
56 used & new from $3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Investor Books from 2012, January 18, 2013
[published on my blog -- A Dash of Insight]

I always read extensively, and in the past I have provided pointers to the best sources for investors. This year has been hectic on many fronts, and I have been negligent in passing on my conclusions.

In an effort to catch up, I want to focus on a few books that I regard as especially important for the individual investor. This is a time of year when many people are re-examining their methods and decisions. The books that I will highlight will provide a toolkit for your efforts.

If Santa did not leave the right investment books in your (over-sized) stocking, you need to take matters into your own hands!

The second suggestion is --

Backstage Wall Street by Joshua Brown

Overview

A great book is effective for readers at many levels. This is a special challenge in the investment world, but the author has delivered. A key theme is to avoid getting scammed. A corollary is how to get good advice. Here are some important audiences and the takeaway for them:

The average investor will learn all about cold-calling brokers, their incentives, and the pitch. Just reading Part 3 would save most investors thousands.
Wealthy investors will learn all about special situations and private placements. Chapter 21 is the big news for them.
Young people who want to get into the financial business should read this book. They do not know it, so we parents and grandparents should give them a copy. Aspiring young employees want to trade and to analyze stocks. Josh Brown explains the reality of working for most firms.
And even the experts will learn something. I knew something about everything from this book, but I still learned more. The explanation of the inside story at most firms is a look behind the curtain, even for market professionals who took a different career path.

This is book is a real page-turner in some chapters, but less interesting in others. None of the material could be skipped by the author, since what is relevant differs for each reader. My advice is to spend a lot of time on the portions that are most relevant for you. You will find yourself both laughing and crying for Josh and also for the investors.
What I Personally Liked Best

My background is much different from the author's. I already had a body of expertise and knowledge, and that is why I was recruited. My experience was with really smart people who needed to trade effectively. Everyone had personal money at stake. The focus was performance. I had a secondary role in helping our wealthy traders evaluate the hundreds of business pitches they got.

Josh Brown provides a frank and colorful description of the Wall Street perspective, told by a reformed broker. The stories are graphic and compelling.

There is a difference in the "Chicago" tradition, but any of us would be proud to tell that story as effectively as Josh has.

And most of all, there is the conclusion. Josh Brown offers important advice on how to find investment advice. It is important that your manager's incentives are completely aligned with your own.

What Most Readers Should Learn

As I noted, this is a book with different lessons for different people. With that in mind the key takeway is: Don't get scammed!

Let me count the ways ---

Do not get sucked in by cold calls.

Do not get drawn into high-commission private placements or special deals.

Do not follow a dead-end career path.

Successful investing begins with avoiding the traps. I have a few ideas of my own for additional traps to consider. If I get them into book form, I hope that my presentation is as compelling as this author's.
About the Author

"Downtown" Josh Brown has gone from zero to sixty faster than anyone.

I do not know of any blog that exploded onto the scene faster than The Reformed Broker. Josh combines the key elements of chemistry:

Relevance
Timeliness
Expertise
Open-mindedness
and not least, a colorful, irreverent style.

It is why both investment professionals and traders read his blog every day.

Josh's blogging success and investment skill have been recognized with major media gigs and columns, his position at Fusion IQ, and his daily CNBC appearances.

In our office we give Josh our highest accolade: We "unmute" the TV and back up the TIVO to hear what he has to say:)

You can order the book here, via the author's site.

This is Book #2 in my series for the new year. I have five planned, but a full agenda.

Endnote

A reader asked me if I was compensated for these reviews.
Let's be clear. I paid for this book because I wanted to read what Josh had to say. I am writing the review because I think many people could save money by spending some time with a few chapters. Many others will be entertained and enlightened as I was.

Abnormal Returns: Winning Strategies from the Frontlines of the Investment Blogosphere
by Tadas E. Viskanta
Price: $19.89
58 used & new from $3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read Book for Investors and Traders, January 16, 2013
[also published on my blog -- A Dash of Insight.

The first suggestion is --

Overview

Novices will learn concepts that are totally new;
Intermediates will advance their game, looking more deeply at the possible mistakes (Ch 5 is a good example);
Advanced traders will polish up key concepts and sources;
And even the experts will find a few gems to consider, perhaps mostly in examining their own biases.

This is a book that you will read to learn and re-read whenever issues arise. It should be on your bookshelf, as it is on mine.

What I Personally Liked Best

Chapter 11 -- Smarter Media Consumption -- is crucial. This is the author at his very best. Readers will learn about noise, excessive attention to headlines, finding the right experts and evidence, and why everyone "talks his book" when on TV.

What Most Readers Should Learn

Readers will learn how difficult it is to invest successfully. They will learn even more clearly how tough it is to trade successfully.

This is a valuable lesson! The commercials from brokerage firms make it seem so easy. So do the pundits with charts on TV.

Before embarking on a career of day-trading your IRA account you should read this book!

About the Author

I confess that I am a special fan of Tadas Viskanta. His blog is a crucial daily source for all of us following the markets. Nearly everyone underestimates what is required to become the leading Internet Curator for investment writing. Tadas helped to define the term "curator."

If I succeeded in reading all of the posts cited each week by Abnormal Returns, I would be a complete expert on every current market issue -- investment, trading, economics, and other related slants.

Tadas guides us to the right material in each post. I can evaluate the content and decide what to read, because he has accurately described -- in a few words -- the main thesis of the article. It saves me time.

Now take the next step. To accomplish this Tadas must consider and reject hundreds of posts that we never see.

The combination of expertise, tireless work, and exhaustive research make Abnormal Returns a "must read" for the financial community.

The opportunity to read a collection of this wisdom in book form is a great starting point for any serious trader or investor. You can order this via the author's site.

It is Book #1 in my series about what to read. More to come....

The Little Book of Sideways Markets: How to Make Money in Markets that Go Nowhere
by Vitaliy Katsenelson
Price: $15.02
63 used & new from $6.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Advic, January 19, 2011
This book is both educational and great fun to read.

Most investors will learn concepts they did not know before, and do so via entertaining and enjoyable text.

Veteran investors will get reinforcement, and it will be very effective.

Most importantly, you do not need to agree with the main thesis to learn and profit from the book. Personally, I think we will have a rising market. I still endorse and follow the precepts described here. You should, too.

I have a full review on my blog. [...]

Enhancing Trader Performance: Proven Strategies From the Cutting Edge of Trading Psychology
by Brett N. Steenbarger
Price: $46.77
47 used & new from $21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book For Traders - and a Wider Audience, February 12, 2007
Greatest Strengths

The greatest strength of this work is the authoritative combination of theory and practice. Dr. Brett draws upon a body of theoretical literature showing a logical progression from building competence, moving from competence to expertise, and using that expertise to become successful. It is the whole package presented by a great writer who understands the theory.

Unlike many works where the strictly academic approach renders them inaccessible to most readers, this book is fun. Each theoretical step is salted with examples from those who have achieved great success by implementing the principles. The reader learns about how noted athletic performers like Dan Gable, Wayne Gretzky, Muhammad Ali, and Lance Armstrong employed the specific methods described. This does not mean, of course, that these athletes had all read the relevant literature. Instead, they learned or developed key methods on their own. Nonetheless, their success demonstrates the power of the theories.

For traders, another great strength of the book is the application of theory to practice. Because of his personal work in observing and helping traders with their problems and methods, Brett's writing really comes to life. Anyone has done some trading will recognize the characters in themselves or someone they know. Any trader has experience many of the same foibles as the featured characters, who are all real traders. The reality of the examples gives the lessons and advice the ring of authenticity.

Wider Applications

While the book is aimed at a trading audience, it is quite useful for anyone engaged in competitive activity where performance is measured. This is not just about trading. Those competing in athletics or games of the mind will find the work most helpful. Our own experience involves competing and coaching people in competitive activities like bridge, backgammon, chess, sports handicapping, poker, and debate. Nearly every chapter has lessons for those striving for success in these fields.

An Important Lesson

There are also important lessons for the individual investor. So much of today's marketing makes it seem easy for anyone to beat the market. Enhancing Trader Performance shows that learning the key lessons to become successful is hard work. It requires a level of commitment that many would not have. It is better to know this before starting, than to learn the hard way.

Summary

Briefly put, this is a must-read for traders and for system developers. It is also recommended for those engaged in any competitive activity. Finally, it is useful for individual investors. Taking the time to understand the problems faced by top traders is the first step. Those unwilling to make the time commitment to read and learn are unlikely to achieve long-run success. Read this book first!