Profile for The Good Life > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2011

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Good Life RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Peugeot Men's 1031OR Stainless Steel Watch
Peugeot Men's 1031OR Stainless Steel Watch
Price: $84.00
2 used & new from $78.12

5.0 out of 5 stars striking watch, really nice, February 5, 2015
One of my boys LOVES orange and needed a nicer watch, so I bought this one for him for Christmas. He is 13 and has a medium build (5'5", about 120 pounds; he's lean but has an average frame), and while the watch face is large, it fits on his wrist just fine. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who hasn't hit puberty yet or who has a slight frame. We had to take a few links out, so expect to add about $15 to the cost of this watch to have that done. I would recommend having a watch professional do the links adjustment, as it's easy to lose the pins if you try to do it yourself. Most malls have a watch kiosk and jewelers can do it too.

It's really a gorgeous watch that's masculine but elegant and sporty all at once. The colors in the pic here on Amazon are true to life, but it is even more striking in person. It feels heavy and sturdy enough to last for years with daily use. Highly recommended as a great gift for yourself or someone else.

InvisibleShield Glass for Samsung Galaxy S5
InvisibleShield Glass for Samsung Galaxy S5
Offered by MEGA MALL
Price: $18.10
22 used & new from $6.14

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect screen protector, February 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After shattering the screen on his iPod Touch, my son replaced it and immediately had a glass screen protector put on it by reps at our local Sprint store (they do this at no charge, even for iPods). He hates installing screen protectors, with the dust and the bubbles, so he didn't want to bother. He recently had to replace his faulty Samsung Galaxy S5, and this InvisibleShield glass protector became available through Vine at the same time, so we grabbed it. Again, he didn't want to install it, so he had the folks at the Sprint store put it on when he went to pick up his new phone. He watched them do it and said it was far easier than installing a regular screen protector. If you install it and do get dust on it, you can just wash it off and it's good to go.

He loves this screen protector! It fits perfectly, it's crystal clear, and it does not hamper his usage of the touch screen in any way. It's easy to clean and so far has done an excellent job of protecting his phone. He is one of those kids who's always playing with his phone and tossing it about (despite death threats from me). He even takes it when going in our hot tub, and the screen protector keeps its seal (we don't let him take it into 101 degree water, but it sits on the edge where it gets steamed up). It hasn't cracked even when exposed to hot steam while sitting outside in near-freezing temperatures.

It's a little pricey, but well worth the investment. My other teen has the same phone and his basic screen protector has bubbles and always looks filthy, even when he wipes it off. I'll be buying one of these for his phone as well. Highly recommended!

Learn to Program with Minecraft Plugins: Create Flaming Cows in Java Using CanaryMod
by Andrew Hunt
Price: $21.60
41 used & new from $15.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to programming for computer-savvy teens, but not younger kids., February 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 13-year-old has been playing Minecraft for years and got into computer programming last summer with a few simple programming camps. So I thought this book would be perfect for him, so that he's not just playing games but truly creating something.

It took some time to get him started on it. I initially just handed it to him and said, "Go." I wanted to see whether he could do this on his own, to get a good test of how usable this book is for kids (for you, dear shoppers!). After asking him several times about his progress and getting "I can't set up the server" as a response, I sent my husband after him. Turns out you need to install BusyBox if you're running Windows, which took just a few minutes to set up. My son likes to just try to jump into things without fully reading the directions. Sigh. (You also need to install the Java programming language if you don't already have it.) The step-by-step process was described in detail, so I suspect my son was making excuses! I would recommend that you walk through the initial steps with your child to get them started. Once my husband did that, my son was off and running.

The author says this book is intended for those with little to no programming experience, but I think if a child has never been exposed to command prompts or system set-ups, s/he'd have a harder time getting into it. I did some basic programming as a kid and am not into it enough to sit with my son to work through this, so make sure someone who has an interest is the one to do so with your child. Otherwise only the most motivated of kids will do this entirely independently. We have an administrator password on the computer to keep the kids from downloading files that could have viruses, so I do still periodically have to step in and allow access. Otherwise, he occasionally hits a roadblock and needs some help, and then he's back to business. He's still early enough in the process that it feels more like work than fun, so it took me a while to do this review because I had to keep prodding him to work on it. I think once he's seen results, he'll plow through the book and have a lot of fun with it.

The author has done a great job making things easy to understand and he's got a Web site with a forum for questions, updates, and tips. You can also download all the source code from the book from his site. The book is written in an easy-to-digest manner, but with that said, I wouldn't recommend this book for kids under 12 unless they are unusually computer-savvy and like digging into how things work, not just playing with them. I'd also not really recommend it for kids who don't like working independently on things like this, unless you're game to sit with them as they work and walk them through it until they're comfortable enough or motivated enough. For a motivated teen, though, it's a great tool.

Glutino Gluten Free Toaster Pastry Apple Cinnamon -- 5 Packets
Glutino Gluten Free Toaster Pastry Apple Cinnamon -- 5 Packets
Offered by Swanson Health Products
Price: $5.09
12 used & new from $4.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awful, January 16, 2015
Horrible, chemical taste that tastes nothing like apples. Couldn't get anyone in the house to eat them. I ended up throwing them out.

Vornado SRTH Small Room Tower Heater, Black
Vornado SRTH Small Room Tower Heater, Black
Price: $39.99
28 used & new from $35.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT heat a small space., January 16, 2015
We bought this for the water closet in our bathroom, which is only 40 square feet, but it simply does not get it warm. I'd be in the shower and still be cold, even after running it for 20 minutes first. It just doesn't put out enough heat. Ironically, when I put it into the open part of our bathroom, which is much larger, to warm it up for after my shower, it warms up the open space far better. Both parts of the bathroom have angled, tall ceilings.

So if you're using this in an open space, it will probably do the job. But it's not 1500 watts, which most heaters are, so if you want to make it nice and toasty, I wouldn't even recommend this for larger rooms. But it won't do squat in a more enclosed space. We're letting my teenager use it in his bedroom because we waited too long to return it.

It's a 10 Miracle Deep Conditioner Plus Keratin, 5 oz
It's a 10 Miracle Deep Conditioner Plus Keratin, 5 oz
Price: $14.74
58 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite deep conditioner!, January 16, 2015
I love this deep conditioner! I used to color my hair at home and would use the deep conditioner that came with the L'Oreal color kits, twice a week, to keep my colored hair from drying out. After too many instances of the color not coming out as it is supposed to and not coloring my grays, I decided it was worth the price to have my hair stylist start doing my color again. When I ran out of the L'Oreal deep conditioner, I tried a sample of the "It's a 10" deep conditioner. I immediately ordered it here on Amazon (much cheaper than at a salon). I use it twice a week and even with this cold, harsh winter, my hair isn't dry at all. Not a split end to be seen, either.

If you color your hair or it tends to be dry, I would highly recommend this deep conditioner.

Chemical Guys SPI10316 Sprayable Leather Cleaner and Conditioner in One - 16 oz.
Price: $15.36
3 used & new from $15.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job but I don't like the smell., January 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a 4-year-old muscle car and was disappointed at my dealer's (literally) lackluster detailing job. So I was glad to try out the Chemical Guys sprayer leather cleaner. The company name should have tipped me off, though, to the chemical smell. I have asthma and it's typically only flared up from strong smells; migraines can flare up as well. I took one whiff of this and promptly batted my eyes at my husband and asked him to treat the leather for me. He did it on a day when we knew I wouldn't need to drive the car for a few days. With it being winter and my not really being able to leave the windows open, it probably took a little longer to air out than it would in warm weather. Some reviewers seem to like the smell, which to mean is not quite a new leather smell. To each his own, I guess!

I would strongly recommend wearing disposable gloves when using this cleaner, as it's oily and you really don't want it absorbing into your skin. You'll need to dedicate two microfiber cloths to this task, one for cleaning and one for polishing (when you wash the cloths, don't put them in the dryer...it affects their absorbability and their texture). Spray it onto the cloth, sparingly, not directly on the leather. Be sure to wipe it dry to prevent lint from sticking.

It did a very nice job cleaning and polishing the leather seats in my car. We've only done it recently, so I'm not sure how long it lasts, but I think going forward I'd rather use something organic without an odor that keeps me from driving my car for a couple of days.

Kensington Pro Fit Wired Comfort Keyboard (K72402US)
Kensington Pro Fit Wired Comfort Keyboard (K72402US)
Price: $25.55
56 used & new from $21.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Small keys = TONS of typos, January 7, 2015
I bought this keyboard hoping that the ability to adjust the angle would reduce my pain when typing; I get tightness and pain in my left hand and wrist. Not only has it not helped that, but the keys are smaller than the keyboard I've used for 18 years, and they're spaced farther apart. I am CONSTANTLY doing typos because of the small, poorly spaced keys. (I have been typing for nearly 40 years and am normally very accurate). I had hoped I'd get used to it, but I can only type correctly while looking at the keyboard. Really??

Because of the spacing problem, I constantly hit extra letters, the space bar, or even the return key when I don't want to. I am wasting too much time correcting typos. So I am going back to my trusty, dusty, old keyboard and am putting this one on the kids' computer that they use for gaming.

The only thing I like about it is the media button menu at the top. That's pretty cool. But otherwise, it's an awful keyboard. I have slender fingers and the keys are just too small, even for me. I had to correct at least 10 typos just in writing this review. FAIL.

Ten 14mm Circular Bubble Spirit Level Use with Tripod NEW
Ten 14mm Circular Bubble Spirit Level Use with Tripod NEW
Offered by The Pentax Shop
Price: $12.49
2 used & new from $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars would be more useful if they were self-adhesive, January 7, 2015
I bought this pack of bubble levels because my husband has a bad habit of taking crooked pictures (his point and shoot camera's LCD screen is impossible to see in bright sunlight). But they're small enough that they're tough to read, and they'd be FAR more useful if they had a self-adhesive backing so they can easily be popped onto whatever you need them for. So they're just ok.

Thermipaq Hot Cold Pack 9.5 x 16 - Thermionics 302
Thermipaq Hot Cold Pack 9.5 x 16 - Thermionics 302
Offered by TradingBuzz
Price: $23.98
6 used & new from $19.14

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE these full-sized cold packs. I never travel without them!, January 7, 2015
I have chronic pain, with persistent muscle spasm in my back. Several of my medical practitioners strongly urged me to use ice packs instead of heat for my muscle and joint pain. It took some getting used to, using a freezer pack instead of a heating pad, especially in winter, but now I've come to really enjoy the relief it brings. I already had one large one (I call it butt-sized) from my tailbone removal surgery, but I found myself using it often enough that I bought a second one. The 9.5" x 16" size is perfect for your backside, your back, legs, etc. I also have a smaller one that wraps around my knee, wrist, elbow, etc. (It also fits perfectly behind my neck.)

I never travel without one since travel can flare up my pain. (I actually fell in the shower during one trip and immediately lay down with the ice pack on my back. We were in a timeshare property that had a freezer, phew!) All three have a permanent home in my freezer and I use at least one daily. They are heavy, but that's also kind of soothing. The clay is malleable and it's easy to conform it to your body. It gets nice and cold and stays that way for a solid 20 minutes (it shouldn't be worn longer than that, though). The straps are also very useful. I have literally strapped these to my butt if I get sore while cooking or cleaning, and last night, after my mid-back began to ache from cooking, I strapped one on like a backpack! Worked like a charm. If you pull the straps too tight, they will pop off, so if you've got more than a 30-inch waist, you wouldn't be able to wrap it around your torso.

I've had at least one of these for six years, possibly longer, which is pretty impressive given how often I use them. They last far longer than the gel packs and they are far less susceptible to puncturing. Because I have plug-in heating pads and I always keep these in the freezer, I have never put them in the microwave. But as good as the clay is at retaining cold, I'm sure they stay hot for a long time too.

HIGHLY recommended!