Profile for The Good Life > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 308

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Good Life RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Bread Knife
OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Bread Knife
Price: $19.99
7 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional-quality, sharp bread knife!, September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a full set of Wusthof knives, but I've had them for over 15 years, and even when sharpened, they aren't as sharp as they should be. I've gradually replaced some of them but was still using the bread knife. It has a hard time cutting through a proper (crusty) French baguette, so I was glad to try out the OXO professional bread knife.

We happened to have some French bread, and although it wasn't as crusty as a proper baguette, the OXO knife went through it much faster and cleaner than my Wusthof knife. I also compared it to my serrated tomato knife, which we often use for slicing bagels. It beat that as well. When I've had a chance to bake some baguettes I'll update my review to let you know how well it does with crusty bread! With the Wusthof knife, I have to hold onto the still-hot baguette in order to slice it because it slides around so much on the cutting board, since the Wusthof can't get through a thick crust as easily. I already expect the OXO to do better.

This particular knife is labeled as a professional knife, and you can feel that in the weight of it. It feels good and solid in the hand and is a handsome knife. But it's only $20, so it's an amazing value as well (the Wusthof bread knife costs $95 when purchased separately...no way would I ever recommend that knife over the $20 OXO knife, even brand new!!).

So in case you can't tell, I highly recommend this bread knife! I'm not sure I'd use it for slicing tomatoes or other veggies because of its size. I tend to prefer smaller knives for better control and precision. A tomato knife works great for tomatoes and I use a 5" Santoku knife for virtually all other chopping I need to do. I would highly recommend adding one to your arsenal along with this bread knife!

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch in Metal Case - Essentials Edition (GS308)
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug it in, turn it on and forget it!, September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, let me say that I'm a bit of a tech-junkie, and I have a lot of devices on my network, both wired and wireless. At any given time, there are at least twenty-five items connected, including several computers, a DVR, several cell phones and tablets (belonging to me and to other members of my family), game systems, etc. Wired connections are generally preferable for non-mobile devices, as the throughput is usually faster through an Ethernet cable than through a wireless connection.

I have a main DSL router that only has four ports, so I have several hubs to which my other wired devices are connected. While the cost of hubs has gone down as they have become commoditized, their reliability has become questionable. I have had several name brand hubs over the years, and they have occasionally caused problems such as slow performance, high latency, and sometimes communication loss. In fact, the hub I replaced with this Netgear 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (in a metal case, no less) presented these problems, and I was happy to get this device.

I had to be reminded that this device was on my network and provide a review, and that is a great thing! It means that it has functioned reliably for weeks, has been fast and has not needed to be restarted at all. It's of sturdy construction and was easy to plug in, turn on and just forget - which is exactly what you want to do with network equipment you need to rely on. So far, it meets my needs and I can recommend this switch to anyone with a need for a new hub or switch, especially with a high number devices with wired connections. I look forward to forgetting it's there again, though I'll return in a few months to post an update if I suddenly remember it's there.

URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for Samsung Galaxy S5, Ice
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for Samsung Galaxy S5, Ice
Price: $19.88
13 used & new from $17.91

5.0 out of 5 stars durable and cool, September 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son has a Galaxy S5 that he is in the habit of tossing in the air and catching (and dropping), despite numerous threats and glares from me and his father. So we insist he use a case that really protects against damage. I'd say he drops that bloody phone on the floor (carpet, hardwood, outside) at least a few times a day. Seriously. Nary a scratch, dent or any other problem. Plus, the clear case is cool. Highly recommend.

Pegasus SP4600 Deco 30-Inch High by 24-Inch Wide Framed Medicine Cabinet, Oil Rubbed Bronze
Price: $136.99
7 used & new from $135.72

4.0 out of 5 stars HUGE, elegant mirrors with lots of storage, September 15, 2014
We recently remodeled our master bathroom and bought two of these Pegasus cabinets. They are substantial, heavy, and huge! Much bigger than I envisioned, even though we drew the outline on the wall!

The oil-rubbed bronze finish is beautiful, and the beading detail is a nice, elegant touch. It includes 4 glass shelves and you can choose the height at which to mount them (they do have a sticker on each one that we didn't try to remove...not sure they can be removed, but they're clear and have info on where the mirror was made. Kinda dumb.) Clips hold them in place.

The best thing about the mirror, is that it's really three mirrors in one. In addition to the external mirror, both the inside of the door and the back wall of it are all mirrors! So you can open it up and won't have to close it if you need to see what you're doing with whatever you're grabbing inside. If you start closing the door, it finishes closing itself but doesn't really have a magnet to hold it in place. I think the weight of the door takes care of that!

At 24" x 30", the mirror is really big, and it holds a lot. It is proportional with our 37" countertops, but almost too big. I have extra space in it with the top shelf empty, but that's partly because I bought vanities with drawers. I was able to take some things out of my linen closet and put them in here because there's so much room. It's 3.75" deep on the inside.

While this mirror can be surface mounted, it weighs about 38 pounds, so don't surface mount it unless you've got studs or have installed blocks behind your drywall to mount it to. It includes mirrors to install on the sides if you're surface mounting it. We recessed them and can't imagine how huge they'd be if we surface mounted them. Even though our bathroom is large, to have mirrors sticking out 5" from the wall would probably be in the way.

The only drawbacks: 1) one of the mirrors was slightly defective. There was a black spot on one that was a flaw in the finish, and the inside of the door was rippled (the finish was kind of peeling). I contacted PlumberSurplus and after a few days of emailing back and forth, they shipped me a replacement mirror at no charge (I emailed a pic of one of the defects). 2) Because it is such a large mirror, the door swings way out, and with it mostly or all the way open, I can't easily get to my hand towel that's hanging on the adjacent wall. I'd have to switch it so the door opens the other way to avoid that, and might decide to do so since it's kind of a pain.

Overall, we really like the mirrors and I would definitely recommend them for an elegant and highly useful storage solution for your bathroom. Be careful not to mount them too high -- plot everything out and draw marks on the wall if you're not positive about the height of your vanity. At first I felt we hung these a bit too high, as the top of my head only comes to about halfway up the mirror. But with a fluffy floor mat to stand on, or shoes on, I don't feel quite so short! (I'm about 5'6"). But really, this is SO big, you should get a poster board and cut out the finished size of the mirror and tape it to your bathroom wall so you really know what to expect. I bought the same mirrors in brushed nickel for the kids' bathroom, same size, and one of their vanities is going to be 30". I suspect it's going to dwarf it!

Hanes Women's 3-Pack Constant Comfort X-Temp Hi-Cut Panty
Hanes Women's 3-Pack Constant Comfort X-Temp Hi-Cut Panty
Price: $8.43 - $13.00

2.0 out of 5 stars strange fit (best for those will tall derrières!), September 11, 2014
The Hanes Constant Comfort undies are, in a word, weird. I ordered my normal size and they were huge, so I ordered the next smaller size. While they technically fit, the back sits up very high, above the waistline of normal pants (forget wearing these with low-riders!). But what's really weird is how long they are in the butt. Seriously, if you are more rounded, they will fit weird. If you have a tall butt, they will fit great. They are tapered, so I didn't feel like I had comfortable coverage on the sides of my backside. They were otherwise pretty comfortable, and the elastic doesn't choke you anywhere (something I hate).

I don't like that they're assorted colors and you don't get any choice which color scheme you get. I'm not keen on wearing white panties with a pink giraffe kind of motif (I'm 45, not 15!). I wore the pink pair and got used to how weirdly they fit, but when I tried on the "giraffe" pair, they just felt strange and I took them right back off. These are going into the donation pile.

PillowFix
PillowFix
Offered by Pillow Fix
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $16.19

5.0 out of 5 stars saved our necks on vacation!, September 11, 2014
This review is from: PillowFix (Kitchen)
Both my husband and I have neck problems, and when I travel by car, I always bring my own pillow. But more often than not, I am flying somewhere and can't do that. After a recent trip where I tried several different pillows at our rental condo before I got somewhat comfortable, I found out about the PillowFix inflatable pillows (might have been through an article on SmarterTravel.com, not sure). I read the reviews here and immediately bought two, one for each of us.

We were out of town again last week and brought the PillowFixes with us. The pillows where we were staying were definitely too thin, so we blew them both up and put them under the regular pillows. We both ended up letting some air back out, and then we both slept great and woke up without neck pain! Since they pack flat, they literally take up no space in your luggage and can of course be folded.

$20 seems like a lot for one of these until you wake up not needing a chiropractor. And it can be hard enough to get a good night's sleep on vacation or in a hotel. I plan to always travel with it and might get some for my teenagers too. This would be an ideal gift for someone with neck issues, or if you frequently host guests in your home!

em michelle phan The Everything CC Care, Conceal & Correct Tinted Makeup, Fair
em michelle phan The Everything CC Care, Conceal & Correct Tinted Makeup, Fair
Price: $23.00

2.0 out of 5 stars beautifully evens out skin tone but caused me to break out, August 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I stopped wearing foundation 13 years ago when I had LASIK and couldn't wear make-up for a couple of weeks; when my skin began looking healthier since my pores weren't clogged, I decided not to wear it again. My complexion tends to be a bit ruddy, though, so when the em michelle phan foundation became available through Vine, I decided to try it.

Some reviewers said it felt heavy, but I put it on sparingly and it looked great! It gave my skin a beautiful, even tone. It didn't feel greasy like sunblock usually does, and it didn't look like I was wearing foundation (even with light/fair shades that I used to wear, my face always looked darker with foundation). With my blush and powder, it was really nice.

So why only two stars? At the end of the day, I had a noticeable whitehead pimple on my forehead near one eyebrow and two little ones starting next to my nose! I virtually never break out (I'm 45). My skin also looked greasy, even though I'd reapplied the powder a few times throughout the day. And the skin on my nose, which always cracked with foundation before, was peeling quite a bit. (I had sun poisoning and a few other bad burns on my nose, so the skin there is sensitive).

Perhaps in winter when I'm not going to get hot or sweaty (I was cleaning and running errands the day I tried it), I'll try it again to see if I won't break out. I really liked how it evened out my skin tone, but pimples kinda kill that! If it didn't give me zits, I'd definitely use it every day. Sunblock doesn't make my face break out, so it was definitely the foundation that did it.

BOB Revolution Flex Duallie Stroller, Black
BOB Revolution Flex Duallie Stroller, Black
Price: $563.20
12 used & new from $525.96

5.0 out of 5 stars great stroller for everyday use or fitness excursions, August 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is really hard to find a good stroller that is appealing both to mom and little ones, especially twins! It takes a LOT of research, visiting stores, reading reviews, etc. This was definitely the right choice! The BOB Revolution Flex stroller has a very smooth ride and is not difficult at all to maneuver when turning or going up hills. It feels as effortless as it could be considering you're pushing two kids! The shock absorption is nice and prevents bumps and dips in the road from disturbing naps (which comes easily in this comfy stroller).

The mini sunroofs on each side are really neat, and it makes it easy to check on the kids. The brakes work very well and it's not hard to start or stop moving the stroller. The space at the bottom of the stroller is very helpful as a lot of strollers just don't have enough space.

If you're looking for a great, comfortable and easy to use stroller for casual walks or jogs around the neighborhood, this is it! I'd get it again in a heartbeat (or two!).

Kobi Electric K2L9 12-Watt (65-Watt) R30 LED 2700K Warm White Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Dimmable
Price: $15.46
4 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, bright and pleasant light, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Kobi Electric LED lightbulb produces a nice, warm light that really illuminates the room without making it feel too bright. We have recessed lights in our kitchen and I've never been happy with the distribution of light, regardless of the bulbs we've bought. My husband keeps buying what I call "sunrise bulbs" because they gradually get brighter, as if the sun is coming up. I can't adequately express without swearing how much I detest those bulbs, so I grabbed one of these to test it out. It's brighter than the 15-watt (60-watt equivalent) bulb I replaced with this. Or at least, it feels like it. I immediately came on here to order two more! No more dark spots in my kitchen. I highly recommend them!

Note: I do not have a dimmer switch in my kitchen so I can't attest to that feature.

Slim-Fast Gimme Some Greek Yogurt and Honey, Honey Snack Bars, .98 oz, 6 Count
Slim-Fast Gimme Some Greek Yogurt and Honey, Honey Snack Bars, .98 oz, 6 Count
Price: $6.19
6 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars weird combo, just ok, August 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Slim Fast Yogurt & Honey bars are rather small - about the size of a typical candy bar - and that's about what I expected from a snack bar. They are also rather sweet, but the yogurt & honey combination will only appeal to a limited crowd. The first time I tried one of these bars, I wanted to like it because I really like yogurt and honey by themselves, but they just don't naturally go together. I ate the rest of the package over a couple of weeks, but I never acquired a taste for these bars, so I won't be buying them again.

Bottom line: if you really like yogurt and honey, you may want to give these a try, but don't get your hopes too high that you will like these as much as their main ingredients by themselves.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20