Profile for The Good Life > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2073

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Good Life RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Slim Packing Cubes - Small Travel Accessories Bags - Compress and Pack It with Dot&Dot Packing Cube System (4-piece set, Dark Blue)
Offered by Dot&Dot

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value on high quality packing cubes!, April 20, 2015
After buying the medium-sized eBags cubes as a Today's Deal during the holiday shopping season, I decided I wanted slim cubes as well. I chose the Dot&Dot slim cubes over the eBags brand because they came in a set of four but it was just $2 more than Amazon's regular price for a set of 3 eBags slim cubes. My husband bought them as a birthday gift for me, in a pale blue color that is currently not in stock but is a gorgeous color. He also me got a mixed set of black TravelWise cubes (small, medium, large). I am a frequent traveler and was convinced by reviews here on Amazon that packing cubes were the way to go.

I finally had a chance to use them for a trip to Miami at the end of March. I used two Dot&Dot slim cubes, a medium eBags cube, and a small TravelWise cube. Together, they perfectly filled the space in my 20" carry-on with room to stuff in some loose items like my travel hair dryer, a Ziploc bag with travel soap containers, a flat toiletry bag and a few other items. I packed 8 days worth of clothing in a 20" carry-on, something I never thought I could do but am excited about for future trips! If I had to pack for fluctuating temperatures, though, it might have been a bit tougher.

I was truly impressed at how much I fit into the Dot&Dot slim cubes. In the two cubes, I fit 8 pairs of underwear, 8 pairs of thin socks, 4 bras, 2 pairs of Jockey slip shorts, and 4 bathing suit separates (including long "shorts" and a long-sleeved swim tee). I was not expecting to fit so much, and to be able to zip them so easily. And I could have fit more in! I rolled up my dresses and skirts and put them in a small cube, and I put my folded shirts, shorts and PJs in the medium bag. It was so easy to just arrange the bags in my suitcase and then place other items around them. And I didn't have to worry about anything getting dirty.

These packing cubes truly made packing and unpacking a breeze. My husband used a slim cube and a medium cube, but packed the rest of his clothing loose in his rolling two-compartment duffel. When it was time to pack to come home, he was trying to cram everything into the duffel and was having trouble fitting it without rearranging things. I just put my dirty clothes back in the bags, placed them in my suitcase and was done. I cannot stress enough how easy it was to pack with these cubes!

I felt that the quality of all three brands was pretty close to equivalent, but the Dot&Dot cubes offer the best value. And I like that the Dot&Dot cubes do not fully display the contents, since it's only mesh on part of the top side. I don't need baggage handlers seeing which items are my bras or undies, and now I know they also won't be handling them at all since they're not loose inside my luggage. I am planning to get the Dot&Dot large cubes when they're back in stock, as we have two international trips later this year and will be taking a full-sized suitcase as well as the carry-on.

These are easy to clean if you need to...just hand wash or wipe them down with a baby wipe and you're good to go.

My only complaint about these cubes? The different sizes sell out so quickly! So if you're checking these out, buy them -- don't wait! I will never travel without my cubes again. I can't believe I waited this long. They're addictive!! I want more!!

Vanity Fair Women's True Comfort Cotton Stretch Five-pack Bikini Panties 18342, Assorted , 7
Offered by Bare Necessities
Price: $30.00
2 used & new from $20.00

1.0 out of 5 stars They shrank a full size!, April 18, 2015
I bought two sets of these panties based on reviews here. I tried them on over the underwear I was wearing, and they fit great, very comfortable. Then I washed them. They shrank a full size and the elastic became too tight (I washed them on warm, not hot, and used a low temp in the dryer as well). I have a soft tissue disorder and wearing underwear with elastic that's too tight on the leg openings flares me up and results in horrible pain. I did not bother to contact Amazon about a return because I'd washed them and figured they wouldn't be eligible for a return. They're going to be donated unless I can find a way to stretch them back out. They went from perfect to unwearable with just one wash. And since I ordered them on a holiday shopping special, I don't want to now pay full price to see if the XL size (which is ridiculous; I wear a medium) would fit properly after washing. :-(

Cascade Complete Gel Dishwasher Detergent-Fresh Scent-75 oz.
Cascade Complete Gel Dishwasher Detergent-Fresh Scent-75 oz.
Offered by Buy-Me-Now
Price: $13.99
12 used & new from $7.61

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT good for smart dispense dishwashers or hard water, April 13, 2015
4/14/15 Update: It turns out the Cascade CLOGGED the dispenser completely. We did the bleed/purge technique GE told us to do, and it won't come out. So we're either going to have to take the door apart to clean it out manually, or use really hot water and literally whip the door back and forth to agitate it and try to melt the clog. There are numerous complaints about this online. DO NOT use this in a Smart Dispense dishwasher!!!!

----------------------
We have a GE Profile dishwasher with the Smart Dispense technology (you fill it once a month or so and only have to press "start" when you're ready to run the dishwasher). When our previous bottle of Cascade ran low, we bought another one at Sam's. They've changed the formula and it's absolutely awful. Not only do dishes NOT get clean, the detergent is depositing a white film and food residue on our dishes, silverware and glassware. I just emptied the dishwasher this morning, and the plates we used for crepes with Nutella have brown marks all over them, because it didn't get all the Nutella off (the dishes were all rinsed before being put in the dishwasher, but you're not supposed to put them in clean and shouldn't have to).

We have hard water, so I clean the dishwasher monthly to get rid of lime deposits (there's a special cleaner that I buy here on Amazon; you run it in the empty dishwasher. The name is escaping me at the moment). But even that isn't making a difference.

Because our dishwasher has a smart dispenser and dispenses the amount of detergent itself, I can't back off on how much is used to see if that reduces the problem. We have had to constantly scrub and then rewash, by hand, numerous items in the dishwasher. I finally got fed up, called GE to find out how to bleed the rest of the detergent out of the dispenser, and we are switching to something else.

We had occasional problems with previous detergents, but it got dramatically worse with this specific formula. Especially if you have hard water or a smart dispense dishwasher yourself, do NOT use this product!

The Skull Throne: Book Four of The Demon Cycle
The Skull Throne: Book Four of The Demon Cycle
by Peter V. Brett
Price: $20.52
62 used & new from $13.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel, April 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Skull Throne is a worthy sequel to the first three books in the Demon Cycle series as Peter Brett has continued to spin a tale that keeps the reader turning page after page. Throughout the series, the author has developed a world in which demons can literally only come out at night and people are slowly being hunted until human civilization will be overwhelmed. The first three books are written with an effective mix of dialogue, reflection and terrifying action that paint a dark existence for the world’s inhabitants. A number of significant characters come to life, ranging from the potential saviors of humanity (of course, that would be Arlen and Jardir), to their supporters and other strong characters who are caught up in the inevitable struggle for supremacy as the Krasians attempt to unite humanity against the demons.

The Skull Throne is an exciting read with more action than in the previous books. The first three books tell stories from different characters’ perspectives and by the end of the third book you pretty well know the minds and motivations of the main characters. Arlen and Jardir, who survived the cliffhanger at the end of The Daylight War (sorry if that’s a spoiler, but everyone had to figure that would be the case!), are nonetheless separated from their families and friends because they strike out on their own mission. Jardir’s pride and sense of superiority don’t mix well with Arlen’s general aloofness and resentment from Jardir’s earlier betrayal of Arlen. However, the interaction between these two characters is well done, as their interplay exudes tension as they work together to meet a common goal.

With Arlen and Jardir off on their own mission, one of the focal points naturally falls to the power struggle in the Krasian court as they continue their quest to conquer the northern lands. The vacuum left from Jardir’s disappearance causes significant turmoil, political intrigue, and a violent power struggle. The other major storyline expectedly involves Leesha, Rojer and the swelling ranks of refugees in Cutter’s Hollow as they prepare for both the Krasian invasion and the final showdown with the demons. Similar to the Krasian situation, the disappearance of Arlen leaves a vacuum that no one quite knows how to fill, and their intrigue and power struggles are just as significant.

In the end, I was just as impressed with this fourth book as I was with the first three. The first three books focused primarily on specific characters and their perspectives, but they also set the stage for the power struggles between the different lands and the coming showdown with the demon host. The Skull Throne forges ahead at a fast pace without losing the connections that you have built with the all the characters in this saga. It’s as good as any of the other books in the series, and I am already eager for the next installment.

Nfi Consumer Products Blue-emu Emu Oil, Aloe, Super Strength, 4-Ounce
Nfi Consumer Products Blue-emu Emu Oil, Aloe, Super Strength, 4-Ounce
Price: $12.48
25 used & new from $11.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work at ALL., March 10, 2015
This blue emu oil did absolutely nothing for me. Didn't work at ALL. I got zero relief. It was as if I had just put lotion on. Total waste of money.

Designer Protein Lite Powder, Chocolate Cookies and Cream, 9.03 Ounce
Designer Protein Lite Powder, Chocolate Cookies and Cream, 9.03 Ounce
Offered by DropAir
Price: $21.31
2 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reviews from our family. 3.5 stars, March 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Three of us in my house tried this protein powder. My 17-year-old and my husband liked it, but I did not.

First, my son blended it with milk, banana and some ice. I thought it lacked flavor and it made for a very thin shake. He really liked it and sucked it down. My husband tasted it too and thought it was pretty good.

Then my husband sprinkled the powder on vanilla Chex. Yes, you read that right. He tends to sprinkle protein shake mixes into plain oatmeal or on cereal. He liked it that way too.

Then I made a glass, following the directions to mix (it didn't say use a blender) a scoop with 8 ounces of plain almond milk. It wouldn't stir in, so I whisked it. When I tasted it, I got a mouth full of unmixed powder. No matter how much I whisked it, it never fully blended, but the milk was really thick and chocolately. I didn't feel like blending it after three tastes, so I strained it. There was a surprising amount of chunky powder left behind. And yes, it was still too chocolatey. I hate it when the directions for protein powders (I have tried many of them) say you can just mix it in. You can't. Ever. You can't even shake it. You HAVE to use a blender, unless you are nuts like my husband and like to sprinkle it like fairy dust on otherwise bland foods.

I tried this even though it had Splenda in it because my son wanted me to get it. I have GI issues and suspected long-term use of Splenda was a culprit. Last year I got a free bag of Lean Body's natural chocolate protein mix, which is sweetened primarily with monk fruit extract and stevia. It tastes like a true chocolate milkshake and is seriously addicting (I also use almond milk and some ice cubes). It's not entirely filling on its own so I either add a banana in or eat a piece of fruit separately. I keep buying the Lean Body protein mix despite the high price, but it has twice the protein of this "designer" lite protein powder and is therefore more of a meal replacement while this product is better as a pick-me-up snack. This is a pretty decent value here on Amazon, so I may buy it for my teen since he's a carb fanatic and it's hard to get protein in to him. But I otherwise would pass.

Peugeot Men's 1031OR Stainless Steel Watch
Peugeot Men's 1031OR Stainless Steel Watch
Price: $72.00
2 used & new from $66.96

5.0 out of 5 stars striking watch, really nice, February 5, 2015
One of my boys LOVES orange and needed a nicer watch, so I bought this one for him for Christmas. He is 13 and has a medium build (5'5", about 120 pounds; he's lean but has an average frame), and while the watch face is large, it fits on his wrist just fine. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who hasn't hit puberty yet or who has a slight frame. We had to take a few links out, so expect to add about $15 to the cost of this watch to have that done. I would recommend having a watch professional do the links adjustment, as it's easy to lose the pins if you try to do it yourself. Most malls have a watch kiosk and jewelers can do it too.

It's really a gorgeous watch that's masculine but elegant and sporty all at once. The colors in the pic here on Amazon are true to life, but it is even more striking in person. It feels heavy and sturdy enough to last for years with daily use. Highly recommended as a great gift for yourself or someone else.

InvisibleShield Glass for Samsung Galaxy S5
InvisibleShield Glass for Samsung Galaxy S5
Price: $19.35
33 used & new from $1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect screen protector, February 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After shattering the screen on his iPod Touch, my son replaced it and immediately had a glass screen protector put on it by reps at our local Sprint store (they do this at no charge, even for iPods). He hates installing screen protectors, with the dust and the bubbles, so he didn't want to bother. He recently had to replace his faulty Samsung Galaxy S5, and this InvisibleShield glass protector became available through Vine at the same time, so we grabbed it. Again, he didn't want to install it, so he had the folks at the Sprint store put it on when he went to pick up his new phone. He watched them do it and said it was far easier than installing a regular screen protector. If you install it and do get dust on it, you can just wash it off and it's good to go.

He loves this screen protector! It fits perfectly, it's crystal clear, and it does not hamper his usage of the touch screen in any way. It's easy to clean and so far has done an excellent job of protecting his phone. He is one of those kids who's always playing with his phone and tossing it about (despite death threats from me). He even takes it when going in our hot tub, and the screen protector keeps its seal (we don't let him take it into 101 degree water, but it sits on the edge where it gets steamed up). It hasn't cracked even when exposed to hot steam while sitting outside in near-freezing temperatures.

It's a little pricey, but well worth the investment. My other teen has the same phone and his basic screen protector has bubbles and always looks filthy, even when he wipes it off. I'll be buying one of these for his phone as well. Highly recommended!

Learn to Program with Minecraft Plugins: Create Flaming Cows in Java Using CanaryMod
by Andrew Hunt
Price: $21.60
48 used & new from $13.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to programming for computer-savvy teens, but not younger kids., February 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 13-year-old has been playing Minecraft for years and got into computer programming last summer with a few simple programming camps. So I thought this book would be perfect for him, so that he's not just playing games but truly creating something.

It took some time to get him started on it. I initially just handed it to him and said, "Go." I wanted to see whether he could do this on his own, to get a good test of how usable this book is for kids (for you, dear shoppers!). After asking him several times about his progress and getting "I can't set up the server" as a response, I sent my husband after him. Turns out you need to install BusyBox if you're running Windows, which took just a few minutes to set up. My son likes to just try to jump into things without fully reading the directions. Sigh. (You also need to install the Java programming language if you don't already have it.) The step-by-step process was described in detail, so I suspect my son was making excuses! I would recommend that you walk through the initial steps with your child to get them started. Once my husband did that, my son was off and running.

The author says this book is intended for those with little to no programming experience, but I think if a child has never been exposed to command prompts or system set-ups, s/he'd have a harder time getting into it. I did some basic programming as a kid and am not into it enough to sit with my son to work through this, so make sure someone who has an interest is the one to do so with your child. Otherwise only the most motivated of kids will do this entirely independently. We have an administrator password on the computer to keep the kids from downloading files that could have viruses, so I do still periodically have to step in and allow access. Otherwise, he occasionally hits a roadblock and needs some help, and then he's back to business. He's still early enough in the process that it feels more like work than fun, so it took me a while to do this review because I had to keep prodding him to work on it. I think once he's seen results, he'll plow through the book and have a lot of fun with it.

The author has done a great job making things easy to understand and he's got a Web site with a forum for questions, updates, and tips. You can also download all the source code from the book from his site. The book is written in an easy-to-digest manner, but with that said, I wouldn't recommend this book for kids under 12 unless they are unusually computer-savvy and like digging into how things work, not just playing with them. I'd also not really recommend it for kids who don't like working independently on things like this, unless you're game to sit with them as they work and walk them through it until they're comfortable enough or motivated enough. For a motivated teen, though, it's a great tool.

Glutino Gluten Free Toaster Pastry, Apple Cinnamon, 5 Count, Net Wt 9.17 Oz
Glutino Gluten Free Toaster Pastry, Apple Cinnamon, 5 Count, Net Wt 9.17 Oz
Price: $3.62
13 used & new from $3.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awful, January 16, 2015
Horrible, chemical taste that tastes nothing like apples. Couldn't get anyone in the house to eat them. I ended up throwing them out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20