Profile for Ranny Levy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 151

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ranny Levy RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: The Keys Of Friendship
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: The Keys Of Friendship
DVD ~ Tara Strong
Price: $12.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Collection of My Little Pony episodes, includes a sing along, July 12, 2014
This is a fantastic collection of My Little Pony episodes. My Little Pony: Keys of Friendship is a collection of the best episodes from My little Pony including a sing along. And, if you are as big of a fan as I am – you will be very entertained by this collection.
This collection has more than just favorite characters - there are a lot of family matters, some good lessons, a lot of comedy and some pretty thrilling moments as well as great and catchy music.

The episodes show, as usual, the pony friends learning about friendship. However, Twilight, who recently became an alicorn (unicorn and Pegasus) doesn't feel like she is doing enough of her job as a princess. However, she will become more important than ever when an ancient beast comes back from his prison to rain chaos in Equestria! (The country where ponies live.)
I thought this was a very smart choice of episodes since the DVD contains about half of the full season. These episodes really are exciting and, even though some people may not know it, pretty funny and really show some good lessons. For example, in one episode about family, ponies argue a lot but at the end they are still just a family.

My favorite episode is when one of them learns that she is a cousin of another friend. When they realize there may be an error, they go on a road trip to find out the truth. On the way there, the family argues and feels bad that they may look like a dysfunctional family. At the end, they see that even though they argue, they are still a great family. I like it because so many families in real life feel are like that and we all need to understand that it happens with everyone – nobody is perfect.

There is nothing parents should worry about and even infants will like the bright colors of the show and its wonderful sounds. I give this DVD an age rating of 1 to 18. I also give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Reviewed by Gerry O, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Gary Oldman

5.0 out of 5 stars Dawn of The Planet of The Apes' main purpose Is to show another side of these super apes and to set up the story for the ..., July 9, 2014
What an exciting and thrilling blockbuster! I was worried about this film. This was the 8th add on to the Planet of the Apes series, second to the reboots. So this Is a sequel and an eighth movie. I expected that it would feel a bit stretching, but it isn't. In fact, Dawn of The Planet of The Apes' main purpose Is to show another side of these super apes and to set up the story for the next film in the franchise.

This isn't just about fighting; in fact, fighting scenes, even though they are epic, take very little part of the film. There is romance within humans and apes families, sometimes, the apes can act funny. Dawn of The Planet of The Apes is thrilling and kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time! Also it has a story line no one expects!

The original Planet of the Apes book is about humans that went to a planet ruled by apes. When they come back to Earth, the same thing happened to our planet. The reboots, (Dawn of The Planet of The Apes and Rise of the Planet of the Apes) are pretty much prequels. So, Caesar leaves civilization with his ape friends while the human race almost goes extinct due to a deadly virus. The remaining humans struggle for power. Will they be able to find a new source of power or will it be up to the apes and their leader to decide the humans' fate?

For me, this is a fantastic addition to the series. They don't try too hard to make it too action-packed and cool looking. The apes look extremely realistic and I really like that. They include some scenes from Rise of the Planet of the Apes which helps to pull it all together nicely. The action and fighting even has some stuff from the original 1963 Planet of the Apes book! The director made it a perfect length and, in fact, this is the first time I've seen what I would call a "trailer" movie (a movie that looks like an hour-long trailer for the next one in the series) that is entertaining and includes a surprise ending.

My favorite scene is when we see a small group of humans working on the power station. When they wake up, the youngest is sitting with an ape that acts as a teacher to young apes and is very loyal to Caesar. The kid gives him a book and reads along with him. It shows how well they actually understand each other and how alike humans and apes are. It shows friendship and how two creatures of different species can be friends.

This film has some violence and intensity so I recommend it for ages 11 to 18. I also give it 5 out of 5 stars for fantastic graphics, a well planned story, excellent cinematography and stupendous acting.

Reviewed by Gerry O, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

Quality Park 9x12 Envelopes, White, Box of 50 (R1462)
Quality Park 9x12 Envelopes, White, Box of 50 (R1462)
Offered by MyOfficeInnovations

OBi202 VoIP Phone Adapter with Router, 2-Phone Ports, T.38 Fax
Price: $69.99
48 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money on phone bills!, July 9, 2014
Love this, saved $2500/ year on my phone bill by installing this and ditching my 2nd line through the phone company.

Calvin Klein Jeans Women's Straight Leg Jean, Black, 14x32
Calvin Klein Jeans Women's Straight Leg Jean, Black, 14x32
Price: $47.99

4.0 out of 5 stars great price, just a tad large, July 9, 2014
Perfect for my needs, just a bit on the big side.

Columbian CO801 9x12-Inch Tyvek White Envelopes, 100 Count

Transformers: Age of Extinction [Blu-ray]
Transformers: Age of Extinction [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Mark Wahlberg
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, enjoyable, at times shocking and just a bit irritating!, July 9, 2014
It’s been years since the Decepticons and the Autobots battled for the fate of the humans in Chicago and human defenses against alien forces are at an all-time high. A government branch of humans is targeting all Transformers, Autobots and Decepticons alike, with the help of a menacing assassin. While all of this is going on, Cade Yeager, a struggling inventor from Texas tries to make enough means to keep his property and put his daughter Tessa through college. While looking for parts to help his inventions, he stumbles upon a broken down, rusted truck and decides to fix it up. To his surprise, the truck turns out to the mighty Optimus Prime. Cade fixes him and decides to help him defeat the forces coming for Earth yet, again once he realizes what the government is doing to Transformers. Now, the fate of the entire human race lies in the hands of Optimus and this family of humans and, without them, we might just face extinction.

This film is entertaining and visually very well done. Director Michael Bay uses the first IMAX Digital 3D camera, making the images more immersive and stunning than anything that’s been seen on the big screen so far. It’s very intense to be sitting in the IMAX Theater seeing these 50 ft. robots captured in such a realistic way. If you’ve seen any of the previous films from this franchise you know that they are nothing short of action packed. The cinematography and CGI is able to show the intense battle scenes and large scale attacks in a breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat way. One thing that I don’t like about the visuals is the inconsistency of the Transformers from film to film. The main characters look the same but some of the Autobots that are introduced in this film are designed completely different than in any of the previous films. Their faces are constructed to have features that look extremely humanesque and it is strange to see them next to Optimus and BumbleBee who still have the classic Transformer look. Another inconsistency is that, in the last film, every time a Transformer was hit they would spill a blood-like-liquid, but in this film, if they are injured, the liquid that comes from the wounds is bright green.

It is very strange to see a Transformer film without Shia Labeouf but, I am quite impressed with Mark Wahlberg and the way he tackles this role. I think he’s a fantastic actor and really grounds the film. I’m also a fan of Nicola Peltz and think she is decent in this film. However, I am really sick of the way girls are portrayed in this franchise. Every single leading lady looks like a Victoria’s Secret model, is completely helpless about 75% of the movie, can never figure out how to help them self and has to be told to run before they do. Near the end, they have one moment of courage and that’s pretty much all. It’s a formula that is completely predictable in all of the Transformer films, but alas, it’s what sells.

Like I said before, this film is entertaining and it enjoyable. It kept me engaged, concerned for the characters, shocked and, I’ll admit, I did almost cry near the end. However this film is peppered with extremely cliché and honestly annoying lines and interactions. From the very beginning, Tessa is introduced as a stereotypical film version of a teenage girl. She rolls up with her friends screaming and giggling about how excited they are to party and be crazy. The whole interaction is cheesy and unnecessary and sets her up to look like a bimbo. After that, her boyfriend, who looks suspiciously similar to the Hemsworth brothers, comes to save the day and the rude, inappropriate and just plain stupid things he says to Tessa’s father drove me insane. There are several lines in the film that prompted me to say to myself, “Really? Was that really necessary?” The last irritating thing is the fact that they really drove the whole “American Way” and patriotism to the ground. In every seen at Cade’s ranch there are at least two American flags shown and it is constantly mentioned that they’re just good ole’ Texas folk, protecting America with cries of: “Don’t mess with our country!” “Think of your country!” “Fight for your country!” Previous films were less centered on our nation and more about the human race as a whole.

Despite my qualms regarding this movie, it is entertaining and the visuals are extremely well done. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and recommend this film for ages 13 to 18 due to the violence and language. However, if you have seen the previous films and are under 13, then this film should be suitable for you. If you're a fan of Transformers, action or just want to experience the first film to ever use the million dollar IMAX Digital 3D camera, be sure to check out Transformer: Age of Extinction in theaters now.

Reviewed by Raven D, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 Sneak Peek [HD]
How to Train Your Dragon 2 Sneak Peek [HD]
DVD
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sequel, Visually Stunning. A Must Go for Families., June 16, 2014
How to Train Your Dragon 2 is an awesome animation! It is adventurous, funny, and suspenseful. The producer (Bonnie Arnold) does a great job keeping everyone on the edge of their seats throughout the whole film.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 is an incredible sequel to the first movie. It is a 3D animation about a boy named Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) and his dragon, Toothless (Randy Thom), who are trying to stop a bad Viking named Drago (Djimon Hounsou) from capturing all the dragons and making an army out of them. Hiccup and his friends must work together in a battle to protect the peace.

This movie has you feeling many different emotions throughout the film. It is suspenseful, funny and even a little bit sad. The amount of thrilling scenes in this film is incredible. I kept wondering if Hiccup and his friends were going to get caught when they went on all their adventures. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is also very funny. All the characters and the dragons have a good sense of humor. The characters scripts are hilarious and the dragons have very comical body language. The animation in this film is also amazing. The 3D animators do a great job with the special effects. The dragons look like they are popping out right in front of you! My favorite part of the movie is when the two alpha dragons fight with each other. I like it because the special effects make it look like it is happening right in front of me. Like I could reach out and touch them!

How to Train Your Dragon 2 has a great message. It shares with us that you have to believe in yourself if you want to accomplish big goals or dreams. This message is used a couple times with a couple different characters throughout the film.

I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars because it is suspenseful and funny. Kids and adults will love it, especially those who love fantasies with dragons and Vikings. I recommend How to Train Your Dragon 2 for children ages 8 and up. This is a movie the whole family can enjoy.

Reviewed by Jeremy B., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews go to kidsfirst dot org.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 4:56 PM PDT

The Fault In Our Stars
The Fault In Our Stars
DVD ~ Shailene Woodley
Price: $26.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A Summer Love Story Unlike Most, June 16, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (DVD)
Never have I seen a movie so heart wrenching as this one. The Fault In Our Stars is an exceptional movie that will have you crying, laughing and anxious all at the same time. It is based on the amazing novel written by John Green. In this movie, Shailene Woodley plays Hazel Grace, a girl diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. Ansel Elgort plays Gus Waters who is diagnosed with cancer as well. They fell in love with each other the way we fall asleep, slowly and then all at once. Their journey goes from meeting their favorite author in Amsterdam to rushing to the hospital for immediate chemotherapy. This movie shows the hardships of being in love and fighting for your life in such a beautiful but realistic manner. I absolutely love this film.

There are so many great aspects about this movie that it’s hard to highlight a few. However, one of my favorite things is the whole plot and its meaning. It creatively captures a teenager’s perspective of love but also of dealing with cancer. It reaches out to a younger audience but still allows an older audience to enjoy it. John Green knows how to grab the audience's attention by intertwining the two most heart-wrenching aspects of life - love and death. Another thing I really love about the movie is how well it depicts the book it is based on. I read the book a few months ago and I loved how the director put in just enough of the details to keep its authenticity. I didn’t feel like there was anything missing. Overall, this movie is extremely great and I want everyone to enjoy it as I did.

My favorite character is Hazel Grace Lancaster. Hazel is witty and smart but also strong and understands things. She teaches Gus a lot about books and how not to be afraid of oblivion. Hazel knows she’s going to die but she accepts that and she wants her parents to accept that too. I think a lot of teens going through love or even pain can relate to Hazel Grace.

My favorite scene is when Hazel, Gus and Isaac go to Isaac’s ex-girlfriend’s house. Isaac’s ex-girlfriend, Monica, dumped Isaac because he was going to have eye surgery which would leave him blind. Right before the surgery, Monica dumped Isaac and never even asked if he was okay. Hazel, Gus and Isaac want revenge so they go to egg her house. This part is so funny because Isaac is blind and he can’t see where he’s throwing the eggs. This struck me as so funny because he’s throwing the eggs in the bushes and at the trees but Hazel and Gus try to keep his spirit up by giving him encouragement. It is just a funny scene.
I recommend this movie for ages 12 to 18 because it is a lot to comprehend and some of the information about death may be too much for young children. I am 14 and have never cried so much in two hours. This is an amazing movie and I give it 5 out of 5 stars. This is a great movie for teens to go out and watch with friends. It comes out this weekend so make sure you get to watch this movie, you won’t regret it!

Reviewed by Jailene A., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more film reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

Sophia Grace & Rosie's Royal Adventure [Blu-ray]
Sophia Grace & Rosie's Royal Adventure [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Sophia Grace Brownlee
Price: $15.78
48 used & new from $8.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't every little girl imagined herself as a princess? This will take you there., June 4, 2014
The movie Sophia Grace & Rosie’s Royal Adventure reminds me of a Cinderella fairy tale. There are two bratty sisters and a very innocent one named Abigail. It is similar to the Cinderella story because Abigail has two girls looking out for her as if they are her fairy godmothers. This movie is definitely an exciting royal adventure.

The story begins when Sophia Grace and Rosie are sent on a special assignment to meet the princesses of Switzelvania to see which one will be crowned Queen. However, they loose their guardian and become mistaken as the King’s great grand nieces. They end up having to teach the King’s daughter, Princess Abigail, the ways of being a real princess. In the process, they get thrown into a dungeon because the bratty princesses (Abigail’s sisters) don’t want her to become Queen. However, at least they have their secret weapon. To find out what that is, you will have to watch the movie. In the end, everyone gets what they deserve!

My favorite part is when the security guard tells the guardian, Phyllis Bunt (Amy Louise Wilson) that she can get out of jail if she reveals her true identity. She gives a made up name of Dynasty Composition knowing no one believes her real identity anyway. However, the security guard lies and won't let her out. Phyllis then jumps the security guard, ties her up and duck tapes her mouth. I didn’t see that coming! It is hysterical.

All the characters are great, especially Princess Cordilla (Emma Pierson) one of the princesses who makes fun of Abigail. She has a funny voice and isn’t very smart and plays the part well. The main idea of this movie is that if you believe in yourself, you can make anything happen.

I recommend this movie for kids ages 5 through 12. Specifically, girls will enjoy this movie, as every girl wants to imagine herself as a princess at some point. Therefore, I rate this movie a four out of five “dazzling” stars! Sophia Grace & Rosie’s Royal Adventure is available now on DVD.

Reviewed by Haley P. KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews go to kidsfirst dot org.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16