Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation
Profile for Ranny Levy > Reviews

Browse

Ranny Levy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 246

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ranny Levy RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mack & Moxy: The Great Helpee Heroes
Mack & Moxy: The Great Helpee Heroes
DVD ~ Mack & Moxy
Price: $7.99
14 used & new from $5.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and educational while teaching about humanitarian causes and beliefs., May 23, 2016
The Mack & Moxy: The Great Helpee Heroes DVD is great! It is as entertaining as it is educational. I learned a lot about different ways to care for others, compassion, important causes and the joy of helping others. In short, I learned what it is to be a humanitarian.

This DVD features four different episodes from the new children’s TV show, Mack & Moxy. In each episode the main characters go to Helpee Land to save a “Great Helpee” from evil Shelfish Sheldon. This greedy character wants to steal all the happiness in the world just for himself.

On their journey, they always meet a friend in need who introduces them to a new and important cause. For example, in “Feeding Rainbow” we learn about the charity organization, “Feeding America” that provides hunger-relief through food banks/pantries for those who can’t afford to purchase their own food. In the episode “Always be Prepared,” we learn the importance of Emergency Preparedness and about the American Red Cross organization. Basically, we learn things about what to do in scary situations such as, if there is a fire, we should not grab a thing, “get low and go” and have a plan of action.

My favorite episode is a “Ty-Grrrr’s Tale” because it is about saving tigers and I love animals. We also learn about the World Wildlife Fund that helps raise awareness and money to help and protect animals.

I love that each episode has a special celebrity guest. My favorite actor on this DVD is, Josh Duhamel who plays the Admirable in the episode, “Save The Children.” He reminds us the importance of early education. I really like Josh because he’s funny and entertaining.
The message of this DVD, like the show, is about inspiring children to become great humanitarians.

I actually had an opportunity to visit a live taping of the show and interview both the creator of the show, Brahm Wenger and Kelly McQuinn, the Co-Executive Producer. One of the things they shared was that the show teaches children in the language that they know. They explained that this is done with the show’s bright colored characters, fun music, songs, dance and awesome stories that teach humanitarian lessons. They also shared how excited they are to be part of America’s first kid’s TV show about causes.

I believe 3 to 8-year-olds will really like this DVD and TV show with its adventurous stories, fun music and lively characters. I give the show five out of five stars, or should I say humanitarian stars. Finally, I hope that you too will find a cause from this DVD or in your own life that inspires you to become one of the next generation’s great humanitarians.

Reviewed by Abigail Zoe L, KIDS FIRST! Film Critics. For more reviews by youth, visit kidsfirst dot org.

Lily's Driftwood Bay: Meet Lily
Lily's Driftwood Bay: Meet Lily
DVD ~ Lily
Price: $5.98
18 used & new from $4.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Starring the Adorable Lily and an Unlikely Cast of Characters - Just like a Child Would Dream Up, May 9, 2016
Ah, to sit and look out over the sandy beach at the ocean every day, then your pet gull cries out, “Look, look!” and you spot something buried in the sand. Every day is a new find and a new adventure for Lily who leaves the world and goes off into her imagination to Driftwood Bay, an adorable little place for her to play and discover a use for her new treasure.

The cast of characters are unique, cute and quirky, looking just like something a child would dream up. It includes Captain Salty, the dog with a sailing ship. Bull who is made from messy balls of string and squeaky mice. Lord Stag is a puffin. Hatsie is the train conductor and we meet lots of whales. Lily, with her red hair and a cute Irish accent looks like a paper doll and is my favorite character. I love how she can take a small found object from the beach and think of so many different uses for it. Then, it is turns into a grand adventure.

I laughed so hard while watching the episode Bulls Might Fly. Lord Stag and Bull actually try to hang guild. Everyone has doubts, but you are in for grand and shocking surprise. It shows that even though you might be afraid to do something, it doesn’t mean it can’t be fun.

The lessons learned in these fun stories are easy for young kids to understand. Lessons such as, you should tell the truth. Even if you break something, you can get help in fixing it. A boat is too big to fix by yourself. When you lose something, it is easier to find with help from others, especially if you can’t sleep without it. You should always apologize if you are wrong. Friendship is important. Be creative and use your imagination. Always put things back where they belong, so you can find them later.

This collection of short episodes is perfect for children as young as two. They are only ten minutes long and are quite easy to follow. I enjoyed watching all ten episodes, but I was just getting into them when they ended. For older kids, they may be too repetitive because the beginning and the end are the same in every episode. I recommend this DVD for ages 2 to 7 and give it 4 out of 5 shining starfish!

Reviewed by Morgan B., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth go to kidsfirst dot org.

Dino Dan: Dino Babies
Dino Dan: Dino Babies
DVD ~ Trek
Price: $9.99
19 used & new from $4.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! If your kids loves dinosaurs, this is a must watch! Outstanding., May 5, 2016
This review is from: Dino Dan: Dino Babies (DVD)
I enjoyed the way this DVD uses CGI of dinosaurs in the story. This show is truly entertaining and educational. It is very colorful and teaches a great deal about dinosaurs and how they live in their environment. We learn all about several species of dinosaurs - Edmontosaurus, Triceratops, Brachiosaurus and Spinosaurus. Trek teaches us about what they eat, how they care for their babies, how their foot prints give paleontologist information about how they lived and more. It is also quite entertaining in the way Trek's imagination put the dinosaurs into the world now.

Dino Babies uses great story lines in each episode. I enjoyed the way each episode has a real life familiarity. For example "Switched at Nest" tells us how dinos care for not only their young but other species young. "Dino Tooth Fairy" examines the various species teeth. The vocabulary and material are very well suited for the intended age group and they do a great job explaining terms and answering why dinosaurs do the things they do. I enjoyed the introduction of each episode with a situation that causes Trek to work on the solution and, in the process, he uncovers information about dinosaurs that he shares with the audience.

We see many positive role models. Trek and his friends demonstrate a friendship and willingness to work together on their school project. They all recognize Trek's expertise when it comes to Dinosaurs.

This is exceptionally well produced. It has excellent options on the menu that are easy to use, allowing you to view all episodes or select a specific chapter.

I definitely give thir 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 5 to 12. Reviewed by Juanita S., KIDS FIRST! Juror

Against The Wild 2 (us only)
Against The Wild 2 (us only)
DVD ~ Ashley Dowds
Price: $9.99
19 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and tons of animals!, May 4, 2016
This review is from: Against The Wild 2 (us only) (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film. At first, I was a little worried that there would be no animals. I hate when movies advertise animals and there aren’t any in the film. I was wrong! There are tons of animals and it was really fun to see them in their natural habitats. We see lions, elephants, snakes, monkeys, giraffes and so many more. I learned a lot too. I actually had no idea that lions and hyenas are afraid of fire. All of these majestic, friendly and not so friendly animals were my favorite part of this film.

This film revolves about a brother and sister, Ryan (John Paul Ruttan) and Emma (Ella Ballentine). They take an airplane to see their father and their plane gets shot down over the Serengeti. With the pilot injured and no one else to help them except a Malamute dog called Chinook, they have to rely on each other for survival.

My favorite character in this film is Emma because she is upbeat and tries her hardest to be positive, even though it is difficult. She is also a little scared and I could definitely relate to that. Emma and Ryan desperately want to go home to mom and dad. She portrays the character well and shows a bit of girl power, humor, wit and courage.

My favorite scene is when we see an aerial view of zebras, wildebeest and giraffes from the plane. This was an incredible scene because we got to learn more about the animals
Some things about this movie bothered me. Emma had a cut on her face which moved from scene to scene. In one shot, it was on her left cheek and then, it was on the right. Continuity is a big deal on a film and this was a goof. Also, I found some of the fire scenes and, there are many, a little worrisome. I kept thinking, “Please, stop and clear all the grass away so you do not start a brush fire.” I thought more could have been done with content of the kids’ backpacks and what could help them. It lacked teaching and educational moments, to me. But, overall, I loved the film and seeing the cool animals.

This film is suitable for ages 6 to 18. My mom and dad liked it so, I think other adults would enjoy it as well. Younger children might find the lions, crocodiles and hyenas frightening because they all are all real and scary looking. I rate this film 4.5 out of 5 stars as it felt as if I was on a safari in the Serengeti in Africa.

Reviewed by Morgan B., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, go go kidsfirst dot org.

Little Prince: The Planet of Bamalias
Little Prince: The Planet of Bamalias
DVD ~ The Little Prince
Price: $5.98
18 used & new from $4.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average fairytale, April 27, 2016
The Little Prince: The Planet of Bamalias is not your average fairytale. With many twists and turns, The Little Prince must undertake a difficult journey to gain his memories back and stop the vicious Snake from fulfilling his evil plans to destroy planets. It is the fight between what’s right and what is worth fighting for. This is a fight worth watching.

This film is everything but predictable. Just when everything starts to be okay, the evil Snake appears and causes chaos. The most memorable moment is when The Little Prince has a flashback about saving his best friend, Fox. Fox needed the Little Prince to help him get out of a volcano that the Snake threw him in. As they try to get out, the Little Prince finally realizes that he possesses power within himself to conquer all things. It was very sad because he had to decide what was more important friendship or love.

Usually my favorite characters are the heroes but here, Snake is my favorite. Although he is bad, there is just something enticing about the way he moves. I love how he disappears and reappears in a matter of seconds. The editor builds suspense by having dark music play just before he appears. The best characteristic of Snake is his ability to change his form and feed off of people's fears.

This film stands out from others because the director doesn't set a limit to his creativity and imagination. The plot is well developed and the setting takes place in a different galaxy where things are quite different. That is one of the reasons why I recommend this film to ages 4 to 10 because it is an escape from reality but it also discusses important lessons. One of the most important messages is that you should fight for what you believe in. Kids would really identify with the Little Prince because he is little kid trying to learn from his own mistakes and to do the right thing. Parents can really appreciate that this film is educational and encourages the viewers to never give up.

I give this film 5 out of 5 stars. Reviewed by Shelby R., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

Albert: Up, Up And Away!
Albert: Up, Up And Away!
DVD ~ Various
Price: $11.99
33 used & new from $5.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute with good messages about friendship, kindness and making smart choices, April 25, 2016
This review is from: Albert: Up, Up And Away! (DVD)
Albert Up, Up, and Away! is a cute animated DVD for younger kids that delivers positive messages about friendship, kindness and making smart choices. The stories revolve around two best friends, Albert and Egon and the adventures they share. Not an average kid Albert learned to walk and talk at two months old. He has a tenacity for getting into trouble but never on purpose. His parents knew he would change the world one day. Years pass and Albert decides he wants get an air balloon and become its captain so he can replace the statue that he accidentally destroyed when he was younger. His best friend Egon wants to become a pirate captain. However, a mean bandit takes advantage of the bewildered boys and wants them to help him steal the world’s biggest diamond. Together they have to face this obstacle while their adventure develops.

This is a good film. The animation is well done but I found myself comparing it to other animated and it scores about average. I liked it although the storyline was too predictable for me, and the pace a bit slow. It is definitely better suited for a much younger audience. I recommend it for ages 3 to 7. It has good, clean humor and lots of action scenes, which younger kids would enjoy.

The menu offers scene selection, trailers and setup. Or you can just play the film. I enjoyed the scene selection feature because it makes it easy to return to where you left off. I enjoyed the trailer because it filled me in on what the movie looks like and gave me the general idea about the film before I started watching it.

I give this film 3 out of 5 stars and recommend it to people who like action, adventure and children films. It is now available now on DVD so, so go check it out.

Miracles from Heaven
Miracles from Heaven
DVD ~ Jennifer Garner
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this movie. Very inspirational, religious. Makes you think about the miracles in your life., March 30, 2016
This review is from: Miracles from Heaven (DVD)
I love this movie! Miracles from Heaven is very inspirational, very religious and all about miracles. It really makes you think about all the miracles that are happening in your life.

Miracles from Heaven is about a young girl named Anna Beam (Kylie Rogers) who has a very rare stomach disorder. Her family pulled out all the stops to help her. When an amazing event happens it changes everything.

This is a real story and it is very heartwarming. The Beam family's faith in God is undeniable. They are very religious and go to church every Sunday. Even if you are not really religious, I still think that you would enjoy this movie.

All of the characters in Miracles from Heaven are likable, but especially Christy Beam (Jennifer Garner). She is very believable and makes you feel really sad when she is sad and happy when she is happy. She is a mom that a lot of people would want to have as their own, because she would never give up and she works very hard. The dad, Kevin Beam (Martin Henderson) is a very good dad and cares a lot about his kids.

My favorite character is Dr. Nurko (Eugenio Derbez). He is very funny and he works very hard to make all the kids in the hospital happy. And if I was ever really sick I would want a doctor like him.

My favorite scene is at the end of the movie where it is showing all the miracles that happen in their lives. This scene really makes you think about what miracles could be happening to you and it makes you feel great about other people around you.

The moral of the story is never to give up on hope. Even though Anna struggles and she ends up in the hospital many times, her family never gives up and tries to help her. You learn to love Anna and root for her along the way. This movie made a lot of people in the audience cry and tear up.

I rate Miracles from Heaven five out of five stars because it is very inspirational and it makes you really think about what miracles you could be having in your life. I recommend the ages 7 to 18 because there are some surgical procedures, but they're not that graphic. Go see this movie on March 16 in theaters near you.

Reviewed by Mia A, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, go to kidsfirst.org

Kung Fu Panda 3
Kung Fu Panda 3
DVD ~ Jack Black
Price: $15.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually Stunning, Emotional Rollercoaster, Comedic Sequel, March 30, 2016
This review is from: Kung Fu Panda 3 (DVD)
In the third installment of the popular family film series Kung Fu Panda, you will find yourself on an emotional rollercoaster, with just enough action, comedy and love to go around.

Large and adorable panda Po (Jack Black) realizes he has a lot to learn if he wants to surpass his next obstacle from his role-model instructor. During this long, adventurous process, he finds himself reunited with his long-lost father (Bryan Cranston). Po must find a way to morph into the teacher he was always destined to be. With help from his new panda family, the martial-arts masters come together to fight the envious and malevolent Kai (J.K. Simmons), a warrior who came back from the spirit realm, in order to steal everyone’s chi.

I have always been a kid at heart but watching this film truly made me feel like it was my first time ever watching Kung Fu Panda in the movie theater. Since it brought back a ton of memories, I couldn’t help but notice all of the fantastic, quality changes the film has gone through. This has always been a great series from the start, but this movie takes the gold when it comes down to storyline and visual effects. There is no doubt in my mind that the creative directors and graphic designers behind this film spent tons and tons of hours developing such amazing oriental scenes within this movie. Every single color, movement, saying or setting in this film truly embodies what Kung Fu Pand” is all about, which makes the meaning and experience for an avid movie-goer all the more understanding and worthwhile. Because of the sincere storyline, it will hit home to lots of viewers and family members. One thing I do wish I had the opportunity to see more of are the famous and Furious Five (voiced by Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu, Angelina Jolie, David Cross, and Seth Rogen) and Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman) in action altogether, especially when attempting to defeat the evil Kai.

Ultimately, Kung Fu Panda 3 is a hilarious and charming film for everyone in the family to enjoy. Whether it’s moving you to tears from laughter or gloominess, you’ll find it hard not to smile with satisfaction when the credits begin rolling. This movie is rated PG for its martial arts action and some mild rude humor, so I think this will be just perfect for kids ages 5 to 18. I rate this film 4.5 out of 5 five stars.

Reviewed by Michelle C., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, go to kidsfirst.org

Alisa Knows What to Do: Mystery of the Last Trueno
Alisa Knows What to Do: Mystery of the Last Trueno
DVD ~ Kir Bulychiov
Price: $6.99
22 used & new from $4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and interesting! Original, funny and quirky stories. It is perfect!, March 30, 2016
I found this movie to be unique and interesting. This four episode DVD is about Alisa and her four teenage friends embarking on many adventures. The first episode is about an adorable creature called a Truenox. This series is original, funny, and quirky with the added bonus of mysteries to solve and I found it very enjoyable to watch.

My favorite episode was A Singing Showdown because it had a mystery and the outcome was shocking. It was hilarious and I loved the music attached to this show down to see who will rule the planet.

The characters are colorful and resembled real teenagers. They are real geniuses who think outside of the box to create new and cool ideas to save people, creatures and their planet. My favorite character was Alisa because she showed girl power, humor and she would be a great best friend.

She rises to the occasion whenever there is danger or a problem. The voiceovers were perfect. They matched their emotions and the voices of real teenagers. Each character has their own unique voice and characteristics, which match the avatar. This made the film very believable.

The Truenox was a cute pet that I could just hug for days which they rescue in the first episode The Mysteries of the Last Truenox. He is an alien that helps Alisa and her friend’s on their adventures. He is comical and adds humor to the series which made me laugh a lot. Just one smile from him and I found myself smiling back.

Their adventures had many learning lessons including, the power of friendship is greater than anything. You should not judge people or animals based on their looks. Personality and their true hearts are better traits then just good looks.

The animation is colorful and has amazing details. I felt like I was in the future and could live on this futuristic planet. The people are done in a way which makes them feel real. I found this to an amusing place which I would enjoy being a part of. Flying cars and boots would be amazing to own. The different gadgets and modes of transportation added to futuristic feel of this movie. All of the space aliens were peculiar and plausible. Their design is unusual and entertaining.

The age range is 6-15. It is cute and funny and the story line is easy to follow. The bright animation is sure to keep everyone engaged and entertained. I give this movie 5 galactic stars.

Reviewed by Morgan B., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, go to kidsfirst.org.

ABC Monsters: Starring Ijkl
ABC Monsters: Starring Ijkl
DVD ~ ABC Monsters
Price: $6.39
23 used & new from $4.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Parents, this is a great tool to help you introduce your preschooler to words and phonics., March 30, 2016
This review is from: ABC Monsters: Starring Ijkl (DVD)
Even though I am much older than the target audience for this show, I must say that the this DVD excels at introducing letters of the alphabet while making it fun and interesting. Throughout the different episodes and stories, there is letter recognition, spelling and the opportunity to write out each letter. These are just a few of the learning mechanisms contained in this volume.

This particular volume focuses on the letters I, J, K and L. Of course, it is very informative with these letters of the alphabet and, at the same time entertains little ones in this aspect of early language learning. The story revolves around the letters missing. They are nowhere to be found. The family and friends of the people that live in Capital Castle must solve riddles and clues to find these missing letters, one episode at a time.
It has many different bright colors which are visually fun and catch the attention of young viewers. The sing along songs are enjoyable and, at the beginning of every episode, I found myself singing the opening song. I enjoyed the songs and like how they transition from one letter to the next as well. My favorite character is the Princess because she is very optimistic and curious – things I relate to. She just wants to know stuff. My favorite episode is “L” mostly because I enjoyed the word choices. Each episode leaves you with wanting more and more. One facet of this show that I don’t particularly like is the length. Each episode is about 30 minutes which, in my opinion, is a bit too long to focus on one letter and just three words associated with it.

Parents, this is a great tool to help you introduce your preschooler to words and phonics. You can even watch it with them and show how excited you are when they are learning. Learning is exciting and fun and this is a great age to do so.
I recommend this DVD for ages 2 to 5 and give it 3½ out of 5 stars due to its length and limited word choice. It is a great learning DVD for preschoolers and I’m sure the little ones will truly have fun and enjoy it.

Reviewed by Brianna Hope B., KIDS FIRST! Film Critics. For more reviews by youth, go to KIDSFIRST.ORG.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20