ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Profile for M. Meszaros > Reviews

M. Meszaros' Profile

Customer Reviews: 99

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Meszaros "acadia2431" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free
by Héctor Tobar
Price: $19.71
183 used & new from $3.68

4.0 out of 5 stars The Earth Exacts Revenge, July 24, 2015
I enjoyed Tobar's thorough investigation and portrait of the men, rescuers and the mine. There were moments of poetry in his description, which felt like stumbling upon a shiny coin in the dark. If the men were fated somehow to go through this trail of intense privation and soul-searching, then Tobar seemed fated to write about it. The darkly comic scene of Mario Sepulveda shouting that he was dead and then laughing about it was something the reader could laugh with too because it felt like we'd been down there with them through the whole experience. I admit, though, that, much like the men themselves, once they were freed and their lives took twisted and unexpected turns I found the story fraying apart and began to lose interest. Enjoyed it, but would not wish to repeat the experience and would only recommend it to someone willing to travel a hard road.

Edge of Eternity: Book Three of The Century Trilogy
Edge of Eternity: Book Three of The Century Trilogy
by Ken Follett
Price: $25.80
264 used & new from $3.63

3.0 out of 5 stars If You Must, April 28, 2015
Naturally after enjoying the first two installments (the first one very much, the second less so) I wanted to read the third. Follet is not an eloquent writer, but the short choppy sentences are clear and that's important when weaving together large swathes of politics and using characters to propel the politics forward. To that end, although not beautiful, the work is successful. Essentially, this is a retelling of the main developments in western politics between about 1960 and 1995. Whereas the other books used politics to serve the characters, this book uses characters to serve the politics. There is little real development to the characters, which are numerous and some superfluous (What did the English contingent really contribute to book 3? Weak props at best.) I'm giving this book a 3 because it is an ambitious undertaking to put all these events together in a readable fashion. Also, I'm giving this book a 3 because the "story" itself was feeble to non-existent and because the author's obvious bias for or against certain political figures and outlooks. (To purport that American remains independent because of the strength of its free press made me literally laugh out loud. Maybe Follett is from an era when journalists were revered, but I sure am not.) I can see why he leapt ahead to Obama's election, in wanting to tie up the civil rights theme which started the book, but to leap over 9/11 is glaring.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger
1680 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Bending, April 13, 2015
Story is frustrating at times but different and fresh, which is how I think Clair and Henry saw their relationship as well. Life itself is frustrating but interesting and Audrey Niffenegger captures not just one, but many slices and bits of it. Swathes of time, minutes and seconds, day and hours of life and time. I enjoyed the first person POV from two characters, as it seems I've read a lot of first person books lately, and one person's POV, can get a bit rigid after awhile. I so enjoyed that Clair and Henry's timeframe spanned the American Punk and Post Punk period. I admit I was thrilled to read that people in the early 1990's were still rocking hard to Iggy Pop, the Violent Femmes, Lena Lovett, Siouxsie & the Banshees, etc, because, frankly, from my early 1980's punk rocker East Coast perspective, that all went away when Seattle Grunge took over circa 1989 ish. Still, that whole Violent Femmes scene in the theater in Chicago brought back a lot of carefree happy memories I hadn't thought about in years. Roaming through the halls of a venue, observing people of all sorts, happy or broken, hard-edged, painted, spiked or glittered. I remember it fondly and this time period only made me enjoy Henry and Clair's story even more.

Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page
Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page
by Jimmy Page
Price: $39.26
91 used & new from $30.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, February 9, 2015
Awesome collection. Worth the two month back-ordered wait.

Tokyo Milk Sugar Bomb - Parfum Vials  Set-6 ct.
Tokyo Milk Sugar Bomb - Parfum Vials Set-6 ct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven, January 6, 2015
Heavenly mix of vanilla-ish scents. I've been mixing and matching these for years and never get tired of them.

The Piano Teacher: A Novel
The Piano Teacher: A Novel
by Janice Y. K. Lee
Price: $13.23
646 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm Too American, June 11, 2014
Despite the reams of material written about WWII, this is the first time I've ever read anything about its effect on Hong Kong, so, interesting time period, but there's where my interest ends. The author certainly has a talent for reproducing ridiculous cocktail talk and the book is filled with disengaged small talk of the privileged jabbing and sparring with each other. Meaningless, to me. The characters moved with an air of detachment, of hushed secrets, of unresolved sentences. Even Will Truesdale who by his own admission tortured himself daily with thoughts of Trudy never cared to find out exactly what happened to her. Just not a book for me.

Delta Wedding (A Harvest/Hbj Book)
Delta Wedding (A Harvest/Hbj Book)
by Eudora Welty
Price: $12.09
300 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Big in Smallness, January 17, 2014
This is the kind of book that reminds you that life is defined by all the small moments that make up the fabric of the whole. While you're living it you aren't necessarily aware of the significance. If anything, this book did remind me of that, for which I'm grateful, but as a story I found it extremely slow-going and tedious. It is told in the very authentic voice of Eudora Welty. You can see and feel the world in which she lived. It is uniquely Southern. It has a charm but there's always something just a little off which everyone would rather hush up than address. It slows you down, putting the reader into the pace of the writer. I get all of this, I do, and I'm a big fan of a story which is long on character and place and not rushing in pursuit of a mind-bending plot, so maybe my dissatisfaction with this story is that I'm just getting a little impatient in my old age & want something more. Something to identify with or care about. And, I just didn't.

Fall from Grace: A Novel
Fall from Grace: A Novel
by Richard North Patterson
67 used & new from $1.14

2.0 out of 5 stars Cold Stick Figures, January 6, 2014
I've never read anything by this author so perhaps this is not representative of his whole body of work, but for me this was like the first sketch a writer puts down trying to work out the plot and the characters are, but the rewrite never came. All of the emphasis was placed on some twisty plot which frankly never mattered to me since none of these people mattered. None of these people were made real. Read some of this dialogue aloud and it's laughable. No grit. No authenticity. The advice Ben Blaine gave to Jenny Leigh about writing clear, concise sentences was priceless. Now I like a concise sentence as much as anyone, but if you don't have some of gorgeous prose to make the heart throb a bit, what is there to compel you on? Clearly, this doesn't do it for me.

Tobacco Road
Tobacco Road
by Erskine Caldwell
Price: $15.45
124 used & new from $1.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Determined to Die, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Tobacco Road (Paperback)
By Caldwell’s use of repetition of phrases and themes the reader is clued into the thought process of the Tobacco Road’s people. Over and over, Jeeter muses on his desire to farm, to chop black jack and haul it to Augusta, to talk to Pearl, to have Ellie May’s lip fixed, to visit Tom, with a slight variation or new word thrown in to the old theme. Likewise, their lives continue on in the same groove, not necessarily through stupidity or even ignorance. It’s interesting the comments here about the need for government intervention, but in what way would that help? It’s not a lack of understanding that keeps the Lesters locked in this groove. Jeeter acknowledges many people have told him to move away and get a good-paying mill job. He won’t do it. Would money or better things solve their plight? Did the gaining of a brand new automobile solve anything? The one thing he believes he can claim is his refusal to do anything but stay right there “where God put him.” Caldwell’s writing is perfect and effective, but I’m in no hurry to read more of it.

Money Shot (Hard Case Crime)
Money Shot (Hard Case Crime)
by Christa Faust
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.99
47 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Addicted, April 17, 2013
Although the end felt rushed and disappointing, the rest of it was such an enjoyable ride I can't complain. Very tight spot-on dialogue and a constant push forward of the plot. I like a little more poetry, but for crying out loud, this is a noir novel so I knew what I was getting when I was served, and in the vein of all good crime novels, this one delivered.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10