Profile for D. Milnes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Milnes RSS Feed (Jonesboro, AR)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Revival: A Novel
Revival: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of SK horror...a confessional, March 4, 2015
This review is from: Revival: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I've figured out why I don't understand the disconnect in some other's reviews of SK books, and I have a confession to make. I'm not a fan of SK horror.

I'm just a fan of SK writing. Period. I like reading what he writes. Fast, slow, long, short, horrific, suspenseful, mystery, supernatural monsters, human nature monsters. All of it.

The reason I phrase it like this is because I typically don't really care what the resolution of the plot is. I mean, I do... I like the fast paced ending and the "reveal" because I've wanted to know for a few hundred pages usually... but that's not the thing I enjoy most about the books. I like the stories.

Mr. King has a way of telling stories. And stories within stories. So it doesn't bother me if "IT" is different than what I expected. Or the ending of The Dark Tower is odd. The resolution of the plot is needed...for sure, but by the end of 11/22/63 it was just "furniture" in one room in a house that was a phenomenal story. The highly imaginative and descriptive telling of something horrific that doesn't exist anywhere but the mind of the author is a cool thing...but nowhere near as cool as the story itself.

I felt the same way about Revival. I LOVED this story. The family. The small town. The young pastor. The teenage love. Rock and Roll. Cars. The tragedy and reaction. The way stories propel into the future and I feel like I haven't missed a beat. The way small bit-part characters are people I almost instantly care about and connect to.

If you're reading for the reveal at the end only...I guess I could see how you could be disappointed with the build up and resolution...especially if it doesn't match the weight and gravity of what you formed in your own mind. Or it doesn't match the horror or suspense of an earlier SK novel. I imagine it's not easy to constantly "up the ante" on horror or suspense.

I read SK for the stories...and I really loved this one. I feel connected to the stories Mr. King writes. Immersed. I will admit that I feel this way about almost all of his books (I actually feel that the last 15 years or so have brought about some of the best stories)...so some people will certainly disagree with me.

But I'm not a fan of SK horror...I don't care about those elements in the end. I am a fan of SK stories. Let the furniture in that scary room in the basement be what it is...the rest of the house is comfortable and wonderful to live in, and tugs at my heart strings.

Mr. Mercedes: A Novel
Mr. Mercedes: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story from the King, June 30, 2014
Let me start by saying that I'm a fan of SK. If you want a completely unbiased review...this probably isn't the best one for you, but I'll try to be reasonable :-).

This is a very good book. Very well written. In typical SK fashion, plenty of depth to the characters, although it's not overly lengthy like some of his books are accused of being. The characters are very likable (or very un-likable, depending on your view)...and you care about them. Pacing is very good. Plot is good. Resolution is good...with just a touch of an SK wink at the end.

There was nothing really astonishing about the book. It was just easy to read, and I wanted to keep going. It is a straight up detective novel...but not a "whodunnit"...since you hear the perspective of the bad guy from almost the start. It's probably not a 5 star book in the vein of some of his others (11/22/63, Duma Key, Bag of Bones, several others), but it's not just a 4 star either, so I gave it 5. If you like SK for his story telling, you'll like this book. If you only like the outrageous, supernatural, spooky stuff...you might not. But it's a great read...Highly recommended.

Only have one bone to pick...and it doesn't color my opinion at all...but I'm curious if anyone else noticed. The extremely dated reference to searching "the net". Weird. Doesn't detract from the story...just a curiosity to me.

The Black Company (Chronicles of The Black Company #1)
The Black Company (Chronicles of The Black Company #1)
by Glen Cook
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
85 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast read, fast paced, exciting., April 18, 2014
While not very deep in its development of characters, this is a fast and fun read with lots of action. If you like quick, action-packed books in this genre, this may be a great series for you. It lacked a little for me because I never cared much for any of the characters, but character development is very important to me as a reader. So that's just my opinion. It was good for filling time between longer novels.

In the House of the Worm
In the House of the Worm

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good story, if different., April 18, 2014
I like the way Martin writes. This is no exception. Good story, well written, and just another look into the mind of a genius. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Highly recommended for a quick read.

Legends II: New Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy
Legends II: New Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories from master authors, April 18, 2014
Confession...I've only read a few of these stories, not the entire collection. But the Gaiman and Martin stories alone are worthy of 5 stars. Worth the price of admission.

Dunk and Egg is a great look back into the history of Westeros (although you'll want to read the first Dunk and Egg story first). Well written and fun.

The story about Shadow in Great Britain is fantastic. IMHO, Gaiman may be the best post-modern writer in regard to beauty of prose.

If nothing else, these two stories are worth the cost of the book.

Bon Jovi - Lost Highway: The Concert
Bon Jovi - Lost Highway: The Concert
DVD ~ Jon Bon Jovi
Offered by HOLLYWOOD HITS
Price: $34.98
31 used & new from $0.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool show of a great album., April 18, 2014
I'm a massive fan of the Lost Highway record. If you didn't like the record due to its different flavor, you won't like the concert. I personally love it. Great performance (of course) of great songs. Nothing groundbreaking, and as prolific as this band has been recently, it may not wow you. But I'm glad to have it in my collection. If you're a fan, highly recommended. If you only like the 80's Bon Jovi, you probably won't like it much.

Monte Montgomery:A Collection
Monte Montgomery:A Collection
by Monte Montgomery
Price: $19.32
24 used & new from $12.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad to have it simply because I'm a fan...not usable., April 18, 2014
So I don't expect to be able to play much Monte material. But this book isn't written "as performed"...it's "as written" or transcribed. Not really usable as a resource (there's a guy on Youtube that does a great job of teaching some Monte songs), but cool to have.

Joe Bonamassa Beacon Theatre - Live From New York [Blu-ray]
Joe Bonamassa Beacon Theatre - Live From New York [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Joe Bonamassa
Price: $18.59
29 used & new from $13.90

5.0 out of 5 stars So polished...should expect 5 stars from this guy by now, April 18, 2014
If you don't know Joe, this is as good a place as any to start. I probably prefer the RAH show slightly, but not by much. Great set list, and great guests. John Hiatt is amazing, and Paul Rogers sounds exactly like he did 30-40 years ago. Joe's playing is so refined and almost perfect, but there is still feeling and emotion in it.

It could be easy after a while to dismiss new things from Joe as just "okay", because of how prolific he is and because of the high level of excellence expected of him. But taken release by release, not measured against my own "favorite" or "best" opinion of other recordings...this is definitely a 5 star.

If you like blues/blues rock, this guy is the best on the planet. Great band, great songs, great execution. So good.

Crosman AirSoft Shoulder Holster
Crosman AirSoft Shoulder Holster
Price: $12.97
11 used & new from $3.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda what I expected due to price, April 18, 2014
It was very inexpensive, and is kinda made that way. It's not bad at all, and my boy (12) thought it was really cool when he opened it, but he doesn't use it much.

Crosman Airsoft Stinger Challenge Kit
Crosman Airsoft Stinger Challenge Kit
Price: $24.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it for my 12 year old..., April 18, 2014
...and he loves it. Fun, inexpensive. Everything works well as advertised. Loads of fun with his friends, or just shooting the target.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4