Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Doctor Robert > Reviews

Browse

Doctor Robert's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Doctor Robert RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The College Fear Factor
The College Fear Factor
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Prompts Thought, March 24, 2015
If you care deeply about transforming students to learners and professors to learning-facilitators, read this book. It doesn't offer detailed solutions, but it does point the concerned reader in the right direction. Thankfully, there is growing research in the scholarship of teaching and learning that helps too. Ideally, this book would have shared more of this work.

Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
by Peter C. Brown
Price: $22.06
206 used & new from $15.52

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time! Thank you!, April 3, 2014
What a great book! In an age of the constant roar of peddlers of fluff and pseudoscience about how students learn, it's about time for an evidence-based book that addresses the tested principles and strategies that promote lifelong learning. Every student and teacher should read this book. There is no true alternative to this book and your educational success depends on it.

Government Cheese: 1985-1995
Government Cheese: 1985-1995
Price: $18.36
8 used & new from $15.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern Alternative College Rock with a Twist of Country, Blues, and Comedy Pop, October 30, 2010
If you're not familiar with the Government Cheese, you're missing out. This is a great compilation of some of the best party music you could ever listen to. I fondly remember many nights in Bowling Green and Nashville listening to the Cheese. The remastered music, including alternative and unreleased tracks, are superb.

Patagonia Kindle Case (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)
Patagonia Kindle Case (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Design, Obviously Little Quality Control at Patagonia, November 24, 2009
I thought I'd take my chances on the range of reviews posted on Amazon and order this case. It arrived today (just about 15 minutes ago). I opened it. It looked like a great case. I unzipped it. Right away I noticed the zipper seemed to want to catch with the inner, stuffed plastic lining that protects the kindle from the weather and from being scratched by the zipper. It was certainly not the smooth, easy unzipping that I'd expect in a $40 high-end Patagonia product. I tried to stretch the lining away from the zipper to be sure it would not catch, but noticed that the lining at several places along the case appeared to protrude too far out for comfort given its close proximity to the zipper. I zipped and unzipped the zipper hoping it would "loosen up." Despite repeated attempts (and hopes for success), the zipper never smoothly zipped and unzipped the entire length of the case.

I then (with reservations) decided to insert my kindle to see if perhaps its mass would help mold the stuffed plastic case lining to stay away from the zipper. I noticed right away as I inserted my kindle in the case that the straps that held the kindle in place looked different from the straps pictured on Amazon. They did not wrap fully around the corner of the kindle as shown. My kindle certainly did not appear safely snug in the case with the straps. Nevertheless, after inserting my kindle and shaking the case gently, I suspected the kindle would stay snug with the straps. At that point, I attempted to zip the case closed. About 3/4 of the length of the case, the zipper locked up. I could not get it to move. The stuffed plastic lining was lodged within the zipper. My kindle was locked in the defective zippered case. I had to carefully employ a small screwdriver to force (and tear) the lining away from the zipper and not scratch my kindle. I safely took my kindle out of the case without a scratch. Then, I put the defective case back in its packaging, completed the refund paperwork, and wrote this review.

There is no doubt that if I used this particular case to hold my kindle, it would ultimately end up indirectly (or directly) causing damage to of my kindle. I would not want to repeatedly worry about having to apply brute force and the aid of a screwdriver to unzip/zip the case shut with my sensitive electronic device inside. Certainly, I could alter the case and remove the lining, but then I'd have the real concern of scratching the kindle too.

There is no way this case is going to work for me and I certainly don't see how it would work for any other reasonable consumer hoping to protect his/her kindle. Perhaps there are occasional cases that have the correct match of lining and zipper, but if Patagonia won't employ precise design standards and rigorous quality control technicians to verify the quality of the case before I buy it, I'm not going to take the risk. There is no doubt that no one at Patagonia before me attempted to zip or unzip this case. If a quality control technician did, he/she would certainly notice it was defective.

Be smart. Don't buy this product unless you want to be the quality control team for a company that claims to do its own rigorous quality control. Patagonia may make a great coat, but this case is a tragically flawed design. There clearly needs to be more room for the zipper. I sure hope there's a better option for a kindle 2 case on the horizon.

The Parents We Mean To Be: How Well-Intentioned Adults Undermine Children's Moral and Emotional Development
by Richard Weissbourd
91 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Thesis is Compelling, I Sure It Hope It Sparks More Research and Debate, May 3, 2009
While principally a collection of broad recommendations, personal reflections and generalizations, I thank Dr. Weissbourd for bringing up an important issue: the need to consider moral development a lifelong task for which we all (especially parents) play a vital role. I agree with the broad solutions offered by Dr. Weissbourd at the end of the book: expect more of America's fathers; create stronger ties among parents; and give each other (and accept) feedback. Hopefully, by daring to bring up the issue, this book might spark further research and debate. And perhaps it will also inspire someone (perhaps even Dr. Weissbourd) to write an even more rigorous, evidence-based analysis of the moral development research literature relevant to (and written for) parents.

The Life You Can Save: Acting Now to End World Poverty
The Life You Can Save: Acting Now to End World Poverty
by Peter Singer
131 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Critical Thought for the Reasonable and the Emotional, March 19, 2009
Dr. Singer has a knack for finding ways to engage others in reasoned, principled, critical thought on difficult moral issues without resorting to name calling, arrogance, or emotional tantrum. Dr. Singer uses concrete language to share an argument in favor of acting to end world poverty. He offers his best summary of the evidence in favor of his argument. He outlines possible counter arguments. He shares further evidence to challenge these counter arguments. Then, he wraps things up by offering is own thoughts on how a reasonable, ethical person might choose to put his principles into daily practice. He doesn't demand. He simply shares his arguments and offers evidence. He leaves it up to me to decide how I mght act (if at all) to end world poverty. What more could I ask for? I wanted to read a work of philosophy that would engage me in reasoned reflection. Dr. Singer's book gave me exactly what I wanted.

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book That Sparks Critical Inquiry and Life Review, March 8, 2009
If you choose to read this book (it is something under your control), you may be blessed to find it sparks a review of your own life and the development of and commitment to your very own philosophy of life. Sure, Dr. Irvine does a solid job of reviewing and adding to my understanding of Stoic philosophy. But what he does best is convince the reader that early philosophers were wise to devote serious inquiry to how we live a good, virtuous life.

Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
by Barbara Fredrickson
89 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars How can I not be positive about a book on positivity?, February 17, 2009
Already quite familiar with the work of Dr. Fredrickson, there were no a-ha moments in the book. Still, I strongly recommend this book for those people who are struggling to achieve greater positivity in their life. Dr. Fredrickson writes openly about her own life experiences, makes abstract concepts concrete and easy to understand, and does a good job of summarizing a growing body of research in positive psychology. Dr. Fredrickson eagerly recommends mindfulness training and cognitive-behavioral strategies as effective means for increasing one's positivity ratio to a healthy 3:1 (or 2.9013:1 to be precise). She also recommends the typical cadre of interventions used by most evidence-based counselors and psychologists.

Born to Be Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life
Born to Be Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life
by Dacher Keltner
50 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick, fluffy, puffy, and fun read..., February 7, 2009
The entire book can be summarized in just a few words: Darwin and evolutionary psychology are good; positive emotions are good; helping others experience positive emotions is good; the face and other non-verbals are good indicators of emotions; Dr. Paul Ekman is good; HHDL is good; jen is really good; and we can all be good if we choose to be.

If you enjoy reading positive psychology, this is not a bad book. I enjoyed it as a leisurely read over a few nights. I do wish the author had used a traditional list of references and notes to summarize his sources. I suspect there are better books on the horizon for Dr. Keltner...

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in Groups
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in Groups
by Martin M. Antony
Price: $94.00
35 used & new from $20.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, comprehensive resource on group therapy, November 23, 2006
It took just two days to read this gem of a book on the application of cognitive-behavioral and process group expertise to maximize outcomes of cognitive-behavioral group therapy. The authors not only present detailed updates on the CBT and process group literature, but also offer comprehensive outlines of previously tested protocols for group therapy of many common DSM-IV disorders. By offering a readable and comprehensive account of the relevant literature on group therapy and CBT, the authors also ignited a better understanding of further research needs.

Page: 1 | 2