Profile for LeeHoFooks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 100

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

LeeHoFooks RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Trading Card Frame for 3 Trading Cards Black Frame with Red (Black Trim) Matting
Offered by Picture Perfect/FrameMyRecord
Price: $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Handsome, Well-Crafted, Easy to Assemble, June 13, 2014
I bought this for a friend of mine, along with three sports cards. It's a well-crafted product, and placing the cards securely in the backing was easy. It looks nice on his wall now, and I'm proud to say it was a gift from me.

Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Offered by Perella's
Price: $12.95
2 used & new from $12.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Product After All, June 13, 2014
I purchased one of these nearly a year ago. My first shaving brush. I splashed some water on my face, got the bristles of the brush wet, swirled it around my dish of shaving soap, lathered it up on my chin, cheeks, and neck, aaaaaand suddenly knew what wet badger smelled like. (A lot like wet dog, it turns out.) I also ended up covering my face with badger fur.

OK, so it turns out badger fur brushes are supposed to be soaked in soapy water and rinsed out before using. I can't fault the manufacturers for my ignorance. (I just related my experience to serve as a forewarning for others.) But I CAN fault them for the brush continuing to shed hair for weeks to come. I'm not exaggerating. It shed fur. Every. Time. I. Shaved. For weeks.

I was hesitant to give up on this brand. It's the most affordable one I've seen, and for all I knew this was just how badge fur brushes were. Most of the reviews on this site were positive. Perhaps the one I bought was a fluke? I ordered another.

I soaked the new brush in soapy water for a few hours, then rinsed in thoroughly in running water. The first couple shaves, the brush still smelled a little musty, and it shed a little. But since then it's been great. I've been using it for weeks now, with no smell and nary a loose hair to annoy me.

Brush #2 has been very good, and I'm going to assume Brush #1 was a fluke. I'd recommend this product, with the caveat being that a little preparation and patience is necessary.

16 FEATHER DERBY 7 O'clock ASTRA NACET BIC BLUEBIRD Blade Sampler
16 FEATHER DERBY 7 O'clock ASTRA NACET BIC BLUEBIRD Blade Sampler
Offered by Wish4Star
Price: $18.95
5 used & new from $9.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Sampler for the Beginner to the Safety Razor, June 13, 2014
If you're new to the safety razor (as I was a few months ago), there's no better way to learn what brand of razor best suits you than this sample pack.

This pack is a little pricier per razor than a bulk order of a single brand, but it's worth it to find the one you like best. I've looked up reviews of these individual brands, and it's clear that every man's shaving style, skin, hair, and personal preferences differ. Some have given 1-star reviews for the brand I liked the most, while others have given 5-star reviews to razors that left red streaks across my face and stubble under my chin. What you're paying for here is a learning experience.

Breaking down my review into reviews of the individual types of razors would defeat the purpose. Buy this pack, and take mental notes while shaving.

Men's Aftershave Burt's Bees 2.5 oz Liquid
Men's Aftershave Burt's Bees 2.5 oz Liquid
Offered by Corner Drugstore
Price: $6.49
9 used & new from $4.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, June 13, 2014
I like this aftershave. It has a pleasant smell, and does a good job of moisturizing my skin. On the downside, it doesn't "sink in" all that well, and anymore than a very small dab leaves my face feeling sticky.

I've learned to use it with another aftershave. First goes on the alcohol-based, scent-free aftershave, and then goes on a dab of Burt's Bees for a little scent and moisturizer.

Cat Self Defense Keychain - Black
Cat Self Defense Keychain - Black
Offered by E.TOPING
Price: $3.98
19 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly Illegal!, June 13, 2014
This review is from: Cat Self Defense Keychain - Black
I bought this for my girlfriend a while back, during a spate of muggings and assaults in our neighborhood. She stuck it on her keychain and more or less forgot about it... even weeks later when she left for a business trip. She got stopped by a TSA agent at the security gate at the airport, who took it away and stepped away to talk to her supervisor. The agent came back and told my girlfriend she was confiscating the keychain because it was illegal. It turns out this "self defense keychain" could be construed as an illegal weapon, since it's basically a set of brass knuckles! I'm just glad she didn't get in more trouble for having it.

And anyway, aside from the legality issue, it's not even a good self defense weapon. The item fits uncomfortably and oddly in the hand, and the "ears" aren't sharp or anything. It's basically an awkward, less effective set of brass knuckles--made even more awkward and less effective by the fact that it's attached to your keys. I recommend checking your local laws and looking into pepper spray or a taser. Even your actual set of keys would make a more effective self defense weapon. Just hold them in between your fingers, with your hand in a fist.

But don't waste your money on the Cat Self Defense Keychain. Or at least be sure not to take it with you to an airport.

St Festivus Christmas Humor Greeting Card
St Festivus Christmas Humor Greeting Card
Offered by NobleWorks
Price: $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Festivus for the Rest of Us, June 13, 2014
I bought this card for my father for Festivus, and gave it to him after dinner but before the airing of grievances.

He was so happy, it infused him with the energy he needed for his greatest feats of strength yet!

1000ct Live Mealworms, Reptile, Birds, Chickens, Fish Food
1000ct Live Mealworms, Reptile, Birds, Chickens, Fish Food
Offered by Rainbow Mealworms
Price: $14.95
3 used & new from $12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Much What I Ordered, June 13, 2014
These mealworms were slightly smaller than I expected, but shipped quickly and showed up in great condition. (I don't think I saw a single dead one.) Were there really a thousand? I don't know, but it seemed like it. Let's just say there were a lot, and I'll take the seller's word for it.

I suppose the only downside to the order is the way it was shipped. I'm used to buying mealworms from the pet store, where they come in plastic tubs full of sawdust and corn meal. These were simply mailed in a cloth bag with some crumpled up paper in it. When I opened the cardboard box, several escapees started to crawl out.

Pro tip: As soon as you get the package in the mail, put it in the refrigerator before opening it. This makes the mealworms slow and sluggish (not an intended worm pun) so you can easily transfer them to a more permanent home.

I put mine in a Tupperware container full of corn meal, with a few scraps of lettuce for moisture.

I was satisfied with this order, and would recommend the product to others.

Timex Men's T5K086 1440 Sports Digital Black/Blue Resin Strap Watch
Timex Men's T5K086 1440 Sports Digital Black/Blue Resin Strap Watch
Price: $15.96
8 used & new from $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch for the Price--but One Major Flaw, June 13, 2014
I've owned a few Timex 1440s over the past decade or so. I enjoy them. I'm pretty active, so I prefer a cheap watch that can take some abuse. 1440s work well and don't cost much. This one's no different. In fact, it even looks a little snazzier than the previous models I've owned. There's just one major flaw...

There's no countdown timer.

This is unfortunate, since the countdown timer was one of my main reasons for wanting a sports watch.

To be fair, the product description doesn't advertise a countdown timer. Some reviewers say there is one, and others complain that there isn't (so there are apparently two slightly different products being sold under the same name here?). But I can't really claim the company misled me, so I'll still give the watch 4 stars.

In short: Decent watch for the price, unless you need a countdown timer.

Dunecraft Sprout 'n Grow Coffee Science Kit
Dunecraft Sprout 'n Grow Coffee Science Kit
Price: $10.24
18 used & new from $7.20

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Sprout, April 3, 2014
I bought this for a plant-loving friend. It seemed like a neat gift idea. Unfortunately, not a single of the seeds sprouted, making it a pretty lame gift.

Cool idea, but ultimately a worthless product. I'd recommend instead buying pots and potting soil separately, and finding a reputable seed dealer for the coffee beans.

Mostly Memories Reese'S 3-Ounce Candle
Mostly Memories Reese'S 3-Ounce Candle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, February 11, 2014
I bought this for my girlfriend because the Hershey's chocolate-scented candle had been a hit before. Unfortunately, this one is not nearly of the same quality.

Not only is the candle I received tiny, but it doesn't resemble a peanut butter jar. It had a glass dome sort of lid, rather than a flat screw top. When lit, the candle itself only smells vaguely peanut butter-like.

Not bad, exactly, but disappointing. I can't recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10