Profile for Tim North > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tim North RSS Feed (Perth, Australia)

No-Limit Texas Hold 'em for Winners: The Complete Poker Player's Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold'em - for Beginners, Intermediates and Advanced Players
by Andrea Shavick
18 used & new from $3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginners, February 10, 2009
I've read several introductions to hold'em over the years, and frankly I found most of them confusing.

"No-limit Texas Hold'em for Winners" has been a very pleasant surprise.

It's been easy to read. The subject matter is presented in a sensible order, and the advice has been more understandable than in any of the other poker books I've read.

Heartily recommended.

-- Tim
Perth, Western Australia

City at the End of Time
City at the End of Time
by Greg Bear
77 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Very hard going, November 9, 2008
Look, I tried hard to finish this; I really did. I've liked many of Bear's earlier works, but this was very unrewarding.

Long, dull and repetitive. I got 300 pages into this before finding that I was losing the will to live. Another 170 pages? No sir.

Jerome Bixby's The Man from Earth
Jerome Bixby's The Man from Earth
DVD ~ David Lee Smith
Price: $9.49
49 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, January 9, 2008
This film perfectly illustrates why I love science fiction: When done right, it can be entertaining, thought provoking and intelligent. This film is all three. Do yourself a favour and see it.

Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Word 2007
Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Word 2007
by Faithe Wempen
Price: $28.45
59 used & new from $0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, June 12, 2007
As a long-time Word user, I was looking for a book that covered the advanced aspects of Word 2007 and didn't assume I was a dummy or an idiot. (You know the titles I mean.)

I've been delighted by "Using Microsoft Office Word 2007". It has covered all the things I needed. Also, it has introduced me to new features in Word 2007 that I wouldn't have discovered on my own.

If you're already comfortable with earlier versions of Word and want to be quickly up to speed with the new features of 2007, this is just the book for you.

Adobe Bundle: Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
by Martin Evening
156 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant surprise, February 13, 2007
Look, I thought I knew Photoshop. I flicked through Martin's book at the store and saw a few helpful things that made me buy it. Like most books on Photoshop, I wasn't expecting too much from it, though.

Boy was I wrong.

I've learned an enormous amount from this. If you feel that you already know Photoshop inside and out, you owe it to yourself to buy this. I picked up lots of very helpful tips on how to use Photoshop's tools better than I already was.

Strongly recommended.

The Stories of English
The Stories of English
by David Crystal
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful effort, November 22, 2005
This review is from: The Stories of English (Hardcover)
I had the good fortune to stumble across this wonderful book recently, and I found it both entertaining and informative.

As the title suggests, the book tells the various stories by which the English language has come to be what it is today. (It's as much about history and politics as it is about language.)

This isn't the only book to cover these topics, of course, but at 584 pages this is certainly one of the most comprehensive and well researched.

What makes this work so special is that it doesn't just concentrate on the history and character of "standard" English:

Indeed, for every one person who speaks Standard English,

there must be a hundred who do not, and another hundred

who speak other varieties as well as the standard. Where

is their story told? (p. 5)

In this vein, it tells the stories of the rise of British English, American English, Scottish English, creoles, street slang and, most recently, Internet English.

It argues that we're presently in the middle of a period of rapid change and growth of English, and these are among some of its many conclusions (p. 529):

1. Language change is normal and unstoppable, reflecting

the normal and unstoppable processes of social change.

2. Language variation is normal and universal, reflecting

the normal and universal diversity of cultural and social

groups.

...

4. A highly diversified society needs nonstandard varieties

('nonstandard language') to enable groups of people to

express their regional or cultural identity.

I recommend this enjoyable and instructive work to anyone who has an interest in this wonderful and diverse language: English.