Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Tim Bayly > Reviews

Browse

Tim Bayly's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tim Bayly RSS Feed (Bloomington, Indiana)

The Registers of the Consistory of Geneva at the Time of Calvin: Volume 1: 1542-1544
by Mrs. Isabella M. Watt
Price: $51.50
53 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable for any Reformed pastor or elder today, December 21, 2012
Back in the late seventies at UW (Madison) I studied Reformation history under Professor Kingdon, the lead (surely) editor of this volume. Kingdon's work on Reformation Geneva and John Calvin has been respected around the world for several generations now and the publication of this volume of the records of the work of the Geneva Consistory is a fitting crown to his career.

In the end, John Calvin was a pastor and the reason his theology and commentaries on Scripture remain the most important reading Reformed pastors of our day can do is that every last thing Calvin did is marked by his commitment to shepherd God's flock. He preached pastorally. He fought Rome pastorally. He wrote his Institutes as a primer for his sheep so they could read and understand the Word of God. His fights with Geneva's civil magistrates were pastoral. His leadership of the Company of Pastors was pastoral. His Geneva Academy was (primarily) pastoral training.

And here we read how his work with the Geneva Consistory was utterly pastoral. Open the pages of this volume almost anywhere and it's overwhelming to see the blood and guts of the work of elders and pastors--including John Calvin!

Few books would do more to Reform the Protestant church of our time more than this one. Place it in the hand of your pastor. Your elders. Your own husband. Your seminary students. It will cost you an arm and a leg to do so, but few things are more likely to lead to a reform in our approach to the ministry of the Word and Sacrament than seeing this magisterial reformer down in the trenches loving, and therefore correcting and admonishing and rebuking and censuring his sheep.

Thank you, Professor Kingdon and your fellow scholars. Work well done!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2016 2:13 PM PDT

The Waiting Father
The Waiting Father
by Helmut Thielicke
23 used & new from $3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Max Lucado he is not..., November 26, 2005
This review is from: The Waiting Father (Paperback)
Just a caution: if you like Lucado, you may appreciate Thielicke, but you'll have entered a whole different world where the heart is searched with a searing spotlight and the deep secrets of our hypocrisy and sin are exposed through the parables of Jesus as Thielicke leads us to repentance. Lucado and Thielicke are completely different. Here's a typical excerpt from Thielicke, on the parable in Luke 18:9-14:

"Many of us are less like the Pharisee, with his uplifted head and his solid moral character, than we are like the publican--but a somewhat different publican from the one described in the parable. Perhaps like a publican who says, "I thank Thee, God, that I am not so proud as this Pharisee; I am an extortioner, unjust, and an adulterer. That's the way human beings are, and that's what I am, but at least I admit it, and therefore I am a little bit better than the rest of the breed. I commit fornication twice a week, and at most ten percent of what I own comes from honest work. I am an honest man, O God, because I don't kid myself, I don't have any illusions about myself. Let your angels sing a hallelujah over this one sinner who is as honest as I am, honest enough to admit that he is a dirty dog and not hide it beneath his robes like these lying Philistines the Pharisees.'"