Profile for Rick > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rick RSS Feed

The War of Art
The War of Art
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dust off and get busy, February 5, 2013
This review is from: The War of Art (Kindle Edition)
A great read for anyone with creative callings, artistic aspirations or long-shelved projects indefinitely placed on "pause", this book will inspire you to action.

Pressfield targets intangible but ever-present "Resistance" as the key element that threatens to cripple any creative endeavor at every stage of the process, most notably and fiercely near its completion. It's not a "magic pill" type book, not flawless, and you'll likely not agree on everything discussed; but you will find far more points that hit home than you discard, as if Steven were right there pointing his finger in your face. Not condescendingly, but more like a leaf blower aimed your direction blasting away the cobwebs of inertia.

My biggest gripe (and inversely biggest compliment) is that it's too quick a read. I could not put it down and plowed through the Kindle version of this book, a few hours just before bed, finishing it before noon the next day. That it held my attention with such conviction is a testament to the author's honest and straightforward message. The chapters are brief, and some are just silly short. The near 200 pages is far, far less in word count than you'd think; but the points being driven home only required the few choice words. Luckily, this book is very re-readable and I'm sure will be referenced often in the future for a kick in the rear anytime the "Resistance" has me on the ropes.

A must-read for anyone with a trapped creative voice or calling beckoning to be freed.

Casio Men's AQS800WD-1EV Slim Solar Multi-Function Analog-Digital Watch
Casio Men's AQS800WD-1EV Slim Solar Multi-Function Analog-Digital Watch
Price: $38.45
29 used & new from $38.44

5.0 out of 5 stars She Bangs!, January 10, 2012
Given all its features, this baby is some serious bang for the buck! Key things I searched for prior to purchasing were 1) affordability - I'm pretty rough on watches so I wanted quality without a huge dent in my wallet; 2) solar-powered/rechargeable - my last two watches went the way of the dodo due to dead batteries and the ridiculous cost to change them; 3) multi-alarms; and 4) no tiny wheel nubs to turn that might break off or make setting time, alarms, etc. a pain on the fingertips.

Style-wise I wanted clean and simple-looking; something that reminded me of dad's favorite, yet with a modern cut. Luckily I found this Casio model on Amazon for the steal deal of $42 bucks and change (that's AFTER shipping! well, at the time anyway) but I doubt it will stay that low for long. A pleasant surprise is its nice weight; it's pretty darn light without feeling fragile/cheap, and its slim profile doesn't look or feel like a hockey puck sitting on my wrist (something I'm not fond of with the G-Shock line).

Same day I ordered the watch, I also took a gamble and ordered a Casio Waveceptor Screen Protector direct from Zagg ([...] I say "gamble" because I didn't know the exactly diameter of the dial but thankfully it fit to perfection across the 1-1/4 inch disc window. I applied/installed it in minutes even before sizing the watch band and think the added bullet-proof scratch protection was worth the additional $10 bucks.

If I had any knock? It'd have to be that the alarm volume and duration could be slightly louder and longer (only 10 secs). They can wake the light sleeper, but if you crash out hard, it's probably best to use as backup and keep your trusty air-horn screamer alarm handy. Then again, there are 5 of them, yeah - FIVE - alarms! So I suppose if you wanted you could get creative.

Lastly when removing links for fitting, check out some youtube tutorials first, as it's pretty easy to do yourself with care and patience (a small nail and good needle-nosed pliers did the trick for me). Also, start removing the links off the bottom (south) band first. I have average/thin wrists and took out all but the last removable link of the lower band, while the upper (north) band has 3 additional adjuster links (a 3:1 upper/lower ratio). This keeps the majority of the stiff clasp under your wrist and the upper (north) links curving smoothly around it (as opposed to spacing the adjuster links evenly 2:2 on both upper and lower bands, which causes the clasp to ride up uncomfortably on the outer wrist bone). Hope that makes sense but you'll understand once you wear it.

Anyway, provided I don't lose it, I know I'll enjoy this watch a long time. Now here are the specs as listed in the manual:

Accuracy at normal temperature: +/- 30 seconds a month
Digital Timekeeping: Hour, minutes, seconds, p.m. (P), month, day, day of the week
Time system: Switchable between 12-hour and 24-hour formats
Calendar system: Full Auto-calendar pre-programmed from the year 2000 to 2099
Other: Home city code (can be assigned one of 48 city codes); Daylight Saving Time (summer time)/Standard Time
Analog Timekeeping: Hour, minutes (hand moves every 20 seconds)
World Time: 48 cities (31 timed zones)
Other: Standard Time/Daylight Saving Time (summer time)
Alarms: 5 daily alarms; Hourly Time Signal (on/off option)
Countdown Timer:
Number of timers: 2 (one set)
Setting units: 5 seconds
Range: 99 minutes 55 seconds each timer
Countdown unit: 1 second
Number of repeats: 1 to 10
Other: 5-second time up beeper
Stopwatch:
Measuring unit: 1/100 second
Measuring capacity: 59' 59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, two finishes
Illumination: LED (light-emitting diode); Selectable illumination duration
Other: Battery level indicator; Power Saving; Button operation tone on/off; 6 languages for day of the week
Power Supply: Solar cell and a rechargeable battery
Approximate Battery Operating Time
10 months(from full charge to Level 4 when the watch is not exposed to light) under the following conditions:
- Display on 18 hours per day, sleep state 6 hours per day
- 1 illumination operation (1.5 seconds) per day
- 10 seconds of alarm operation per day
Water Resistance: 10BAR (10 Atmospheres)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2013 3:18 PM PDT