Profile for Aceto > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 799

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aceto "All Knowledge is Sorrow" RSS Feed (in the High Snoring Desert)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sheba Perfect Portions Pate in Natural Juices Salmon Entrée Canned Wet Food for Cats, 3-Ounce, 24-Pack
Price: $18.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Attack; but new level of healthy, December 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our two cats attack Sheba salmon pate. Right up their alley, since they like their wetfood to be seafood and as pate. They exhibit like for the taste. I appreciate that Sheba is using salmon from environmentally responsible sources.

At the time I am writing this review, Perfect Portions is about four dollars more expensive than the typical cans. Opening the single packets is difficult without getting gravy everywhere (wiping my eyes and looking for a shower cap). But the smaller portions mean that they eat it up right away; food doesn't dry out and become unappetizing. It also helps to slow down our gluttonous cats, who can eat far too much far too quickly; and consequently get Halloween sick.

It's always hard to decipher the nutritional information, but the breakdown of Sheba seems pretty good: Crude protein, Min, 12.0%; Crude fat, Min 4.0%; Crude fiber, Max 1.5%; Moisture, Max 78.0%; Ash, Max 3.7%; Taurine, Min 0.05%.

Since cats are obligate carnivores, the animal-based content and moisture is appropriately high, and plant-based content is appropriately low. (Ash is not bad. It is non-organic mineral content, but it's percentage should not be too high. And Taurine is an essential amino acid). I also like that liver is not too high on the ingredients list: it's good in small doses, but is cheap and so can be overused.

We had been feeding our cats Fancy Feast, which is pretty comparable on most dimensions (price, nutritional breakdown and cat enthusiasm for taste). So the real selling point for us is the individual portions and the responsible seafood sources.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 5:55 AM PST

TapouT Extreme Muscle Supplements, 60 Count
TapouT Extreme Muscle Supplements, 60 Count
Price: $37.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this placebo? Or just caffeine?, December 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am only just another data point in an admittedly unscientific venue, but here is what I have after a week on both workout (3) and non-workout days (4). Using the recommended dose an hour before, I consistently have more starting energy. Any effects seem to flatten before the end of the first hour.

However, in my weight training portion, I am consistently at or near the top of my range for all sets.

Recovery time on days off has yet to improve. But the maker does say I should add their after pills as well.

I will keep this up and see if anything develops over the next three weeks.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2014 3:52 AM PST

Chemical Guys SPI_993_16 - Nonsense Colorless & Odorless All Surface Cleaner (16 oz)
Price: $9.91
3 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars More than engine bays., December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this surfactant on both my kitchen and on my fine but neglected furniture. The furniture cleaned up to where the lacquer surface has not looked so good in decades. Furthermore, with a gentle, circular polishing motion, the stubborn build-up let loose. The finish was smooth to the touch with no visible residue. I do not have any of the debris that another reviewer has.

Emboldened by the fine furniture face lift, I stormed the kitchen. My Viking stove top has not had the attention it deserves, I had a year's build of varnish that cooked on from oily residues cooked on from the formidable heat. My cobalt blue finish was nearly covered in the wells around the burners. The aluminum base around the burners had gone largely black. I poured a bit in the well and let it soak while I dipped in an old soft tooth brush and went to work on the aluminum. Again, no pressure but but a persistent motion brought the aluminum completely clean.

I do not like harsh cleaners. What is designated as a super cleaner is too often dangerous to health. I much rather take a little longer and use a little more action than get fumes and worse on my skin and in my lungs. My tooth brush did well on the wells, dissolving too many months of carelessness on my enamel stove top.

For those of you who are better about regular cleaning around your greasy kitchen, including doors and cabinets, you can dilute this product in warm water to great effect and better economy.

Purina Beyond Natural Dry Cat Food, White Meat Chicken and Whole Oat Meal Recipe, 13-Pound bag, Pack of 1
Price: $28.49
6 used & new from $28.49

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll Have a Natural, Meow, December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First thing, both of our cats really like Purina Beyond. Some reviews have mentioned vomiting, but they've been eating this for two weeks with no problem. I don't know of anything out there that is better; although Costco has pretty good cat food. This is a good dry cat food.

It's great that meat is the #1 ingredient, since cats get all their nutritional needs from meat, unlike dogs. And it includes essential nutrients, which means those nutrients that cats can't produce themselves, and so require from their food to be healthy.

I am not a cat nutritionist, but as for the other ingredients, I'm not sure this isn't advertising for humans more than cats. Including whole oats, apples, carrots, sweet potatoes, barley and rice sounds great to me, but my taste preferences aren't a good indicator about what's important for a cat's diet. I don't know whether these extra ingredients are providing important nutrients, or are just unhealthy filler. Similarly, they advertise "white meat chicken". Again, not sure that a cat is better off eating breast meat than thigh or even liver.

Even so, this is why I like that meat is the number one ingredient. Too much filler means your cat has to eat more for proper nutrition, and can get fat in the process. And I do hear that soy is pretty unhealthy for cats, an ingredient Purina Beyond doesn't use. So, we all - cats and humans - are pretty happy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 6:56 AM PST

MulchLock HG-16000 1 Count Mulch-Lock, 1.5-Gallon
MulchLock HG-16000 1 Count Mulch-Lock, 1.5-Gallon
Price: $24.97
8 used & new from $19.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Stay, mulch, stay. And more than mulch., December 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I need mulch everywhere. Gardening is tough in the desert and I do not have to tell you about water and its cost. But I have handled that with a few different mulches, depending on what I am munching, beds, raised beds, containers, tree wells and such. Throttle is, that this is the desert.

Flat and windy. Dust storms here are fierce; they kill car engines and people with equal ease. No, I do not mean to use this to spray either of those. But those same dang winds will kick up mulches, even pebble -- when it has a mind to.

Mulch Lock has done well at all of these mulches and has weathered 50 mph.

Easy to use, the nozzle is adjustable to get the spray for the mulch you are treating. You pump a powerful pressure of air that makes operation nice and regular. Good design and good build.

And it works nicely to lock the fine sand between my pavers.

You get around a 20% break on the price for a refill, but I will tell you that I just paid the extra five bucks to get another one of these sprayers. They are too good to pass up for all sorts of other spraying needs -- big enough tank and comfortable to carry around.

Miele FJM Synthetic Micro Filtration Bag, 5 Bags Treated with Ultra-Fresh and 2 Filters for Model 09338520
Price: $11.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Honey or Substitue Sugar? How Much is Avoiding a Repair Worth?, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I will stick with my Miele bags and filters and most users should too. My detail explains why I believe Miele's warning holds true here: "counterfeit parts increase your exposure to fine particles, ... reduce your vacuum's air flow, undermining cleaning performance by more than 12%". I will keep a package of these cheaper bags on hand in the event I am vacumning something that I will want to throw out shortly after and I'd prefer not to use a relatively empty Miele bag. I do not recommend this product for most users.

This could be an adequate alternative for extreme-cost conscious Miele owners who cannot afford Miele bags and need a low cost solution. For those, you can use these bags. They fit. They adequately work. I recommend trying to buy genuine Miele filters separately and using them with these bags. I am concerned that with continual use, UltraFresh's filters may damage my machine. If because of the savings, you must these or an alternative bag--be careful, listen to your motor and if you hear any strain, examine your filters and bag. For me it is not worth the cost savings now to damage my motor and have to take my Mile in for repair. If you are a family with ashma, allergy or pet dander problems this UltraFresh bag and filters may not be a product for you. Choose between air quality and cost savings. And please, examine alternative substitutions.

BAGS:

These are a low cost alternative to Miele vacuum cleaner bags FJM AirClean. At this review, a per bag substitution from a 1 package purchase of Ultra Fresh @$2.70/bag to Miele @$4.37/bag saves $2.03 per use. UltraFresh provides 5 "tear-resistant" bags, Miele provides 4 "tear-Proof" bags.Miele bags are self closing; UltraFresh bags do not close and release particulates when changing. I will take my machine to my outdoor porch when I change out these bags. Both manufacturers include 2 filters which I assume as free in this quick analysis, discussion below. Note too: buying in bulk reduces this per bag savings.

UltraFresh "capture(s) 99% of particles 5 microns in size". Miele claims when used with their filters "retains 99.9% of all dust particles" Miele's box states: "Active HEPA Filter ...ideal for allergy and asthma sufferers." 5 microns is tiny but very existent especially for pet dander and other allergens. A googled Air particles chart specifies the following as 5 microns and smaller which by Ultrafresh's standards will not be captured: Germs, cat and pet allergens, viruses, dust, cement dust, fly ash, soot.

THE 2 FILTERS::

1. Miele's "Air Clean" is a multi- ply...electrostatically charged material" that sits on top of the motor. It is a multilayered cotton like, paded material. As it get's black, I see 3 rows of black lines covered eventually along with 2 bottom layers of filters that also get black at which point its time to change.

I list UltraFresh filters second here because UltraFresh offers no description of either filter and does not identify either filter so that you know which goes where. No description on the packaging. No description on the website. Ultrafresh's website shows the company sells textiles & non-woven fabrics. Their "Air Clean" substitute looks like white felt, medium density. If you go to their website page of "Textiles", it looks like and is flexible like the royal blue non-woven fabric. I don't have filters like this on my air conditioner, heaters or other vacuums. I personally might use this filter for a single use vacuuming.

2. "Active AirClean Filter" combines active charcoal with "Air Clean technology" to capture pet dander and neutralize and absorb odors. This is the filter at the rear of the bag which appears to me to protect the motor.

To my eyes, the substitute "Air Clean" filter is a medium density spun chemically made material. The substitute "Air Clean" filter does not looks similar to this or to products in the picture on the company's "textiles & non-woven fabrics" page. The closest material I have seen similar to this is Scotch-Brite(TM) Light Cleansing Pad 7445, Aluminum Silicate, 9" Length x 6" Width, White (Pack of 20). Of course, this 3M product is not what this substitute filter is; I am referencing the Scotch-Brite to show you to my eyes what looks similar.
It appears to be a spun synthetic fiber. It's a little coarse. It does not look like any air filters that I use in my home. Air looks like it can pass through but with more resistance than the original filter. I suspect (and do not know) that what appears to be greater suction on my machine may be from using these 2 substitute filters.

I want and need my motor to last so I will not use this filter. More probably, I will not use either filter. The bags are a low cost substitute. Most users will want to decide if substituting bags here and there is a viable cost solution. I was hopeful. But for me, it is not.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 5:45 AM PST

Chemical Guys WAC_201_16 - Vintage Series Butter Wet Wax (16 oz)
Chemical Guys WAC_201_16 - Vintage Series Butter Wet Wax (16 oz)
Offered by NY Detailing
Price: $18.00
2 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nice job, December 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unlike many of the enthusiasts here, I do not have a show car. I have an '89 Mercedes 420 SEL which has served me faithfully for over half a million miles. It just does not wear out. And I love the cruise. So, I want to keep the paint up. Only now do I see the beginnings of imperfections in her long hood. I have waxed only once a year for these many years. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Butter Wax went on with a plush microfiber cloth. Just a little care in doing the circles, you can feel the wax joining the battle. No pressure, no rub -- just easing it in with a quality microfiber.

Easy on and off. Carnuba's hardness I do not need to tell you about. I am wondering about a second coat now, because the first was an improvement but still my finger drags a bit.

We shall see how this weathers compared to the harder to apply and to buff sorts of carnaubas. A second coat, particularly on my surface was worthwhile.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 7:37 AM PST

THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
by Michael A. Draper
Price: $16.23
18 used & new from $10.88

4.0 out of 5 stars hum baby, December 7, 2014
If a mystery writer, as they do more often as not, yokes the story to a sub-world, beware. It is a hard thing to serve two masters. If the author is a buff of some sort, the plot plods. If not, it rings false.

If the object is simply a different setting, choose something easy, like a monastery, or ancient Egypt. Hardly anybody will notice if you are full of it. Pick baseball and be prepared to get yelled at. Deservedly so, and in a manner that would make a plate umpire sulk (Draper makes fans out to be relatively polite…he must sense the danger he has courted here).

But Hello Doctor, that Draper is a Huckleberry — Holy Cow! Sorry, he made me channel The Scooter. He touches every base and is safe at home.

We get an unhurried few dozen pages, leisurely as an afternoon doubleheader before the storm breaks. Too often the other shoe drops too early and it is a race to fit the facts into a runaway storyline. He draws back the drapes on any number of tidbits. I know that SWAT teams are making over a thousand strikes a week now, but I had no idea they had booty rights to the contraband, under DHS rules. That beats the NFL any Sundae. How about IAFIS and CODIS? Now you will. BUT, do not believe everything you read here. Coffee and donuts are filed under nourishment (a thousand cops just sat up).

As mysteries go, the sleuthing team is not exactly what you would call “hard-bitten”. The plot is not exactly going to inspire a mega-buck movie chock full of special effects as the action lurches from big explosion to detailed gore. Instead, THREE STRIKES is rather human sized, with human voices. Except Draper does bring a new dimension to “sacrifice fly”.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 5:46 AM PST

Belkin Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen, iPad mini, and iPod touch 7th Gen, 4 Feet (Black)
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonder What Happened to Belkin? Mine is good, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am more than surprised to see how many reviews are reporting failure. Maybe it is some quality control problem, which I have never had in over a decade of buying Belkin. I thought by now they are a reliable maker. Maybe they have some bad sourcing.

The only thing I can report is that it worked out of the box and on both a Mac and a PC. I cannot say that whatever the problem was, that it is fixed. I hope so, but this is just a single data point. I probably would not have gotten it if I had checked, but it is working perfectly well now. I hope new buyers will continue to report so we can see if this is a blip or a real correction.

I will revise if it goes bad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2014 6:13 AM PST

Wipe New Trim Restorer
Wipe New Trim Restorer
Price: $14.99
9 used & new from $12.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Special Purpose, Narrow Use, Read Carefully, November 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We were not familiar with this product and agreed to test and review. Our subject --a 19 year old Explorer.

What's in the box:
Wipe New solution (1.5 Fluid OZ /44 ml)
Headlight Prep Foam Pad to remove oxidation from lens (P2000 grit sand foam, 3 in square) looks like it can also be used as an applicator.
Plastic Q-tip with foam tip (1) for touch up and small crocks and grannies (everyone's got some of these)
Plastic nitrile gloves (2)
Low-grade microfiber cloths, 5" square (3)

And an 11x16 two-sided "Instructions, FAQ, Limited Warrantee with Binding Arbitration Agreement and Caution" in, what appears to my eyes, 10pt print. I mention this because this is an instruction intensive product. If you don't like reading or following directions, this product likely will not work well for you. You may be better served paying someone you trust to do this for you. But if you follow instructions well, you can save money doing this yourself. My wife looked at the instructions and told me she wasn't touching it. She says she hates meticulous work and knows she'll cut corners at something this tedious.

A helpful reference in the instructions was to "the Avento Corporation channel on You Tube (YouTube.com/user/AventoCorporation) for tips and Wipe New video demos".

Product box says: one can apply to rubber and plastic, leather and vinyl seats. I can use on roof rack, wiper arms and cowl, grille, bumper, headlight lenses, trim and the mirror housing. Vapors are harmful. Wear gloves because the chemicals are a skin and eye irritant. It is flammable.

Very abbreviated instructions recommend starting in the morning to allow 24 hours before any dew could settle on applied surfaces. We are warned not to apply on hot surfaces or in direct sunlight. I was careful to apply on clean surfaces, the temperature of ambient air, in shade, on a dry day after making sure all surfaces were completely dry before starting. I rolled down my windows to prevent it from accidently getting on the glass. Once I started an area I didn't stop until the area was complete. After all surfaces had dried for at least an hour, I garaged the car for 24 hours. These directions are in the instructions.

To tell you the specifics, I read the instructions several times to get an idea of how to prep for this application.
Like painting a room or furniture, the area has to be clean free of wax , oils, dirt and previously applied silly-cones. The manufacturer suggests that you can use a spray bottle with TSP for cleaning interior surfaces just be sure to remove all of the residue from using the TSP. I like and have used TSP frequently. If you have not, a little goes far. I started with a solution of a quarter of a teaspoon in 8-12 oz of warm water in a spray bottle. I could have sprayed directly on the surface, but I wanted to be more controlled so I sprayed out the door on a rag and then used the rag to wipe my surfaces.

I had a clean 2nd rag in a bucket of water. After using my spray cloth to clean, I squeezed out the 2nd wet clean cloth, wiped, return the cloth to a 3rd rinse bucket, back to the clean water bucket, squeeze, wipe. When my cloth wiped clean I was comfortable that I'd removed all residue in that area and moved to the next area. If you have never used TSP, I need to warn you not to get your TSP solution on any painted surface, metal, because it can etch the surface and cause dulling. Be sure to read all the TSP package instructions.

After cleaning the surfaces and making sure all were completely dry, I set up the same way a painter would when (s)he preps a room with blue painter's tape on the painted, metal and glass surfaces adjacent to each application area.

I then started application, careful not to get on painted surfaces, metals or windows. I started with small areas and trim. I didn't start on broad surfaces like a dashboard, where it would drive me crazy to apply properly in long, broad strokes, until and only after I developed the comfort level, patience and practice applying evenly and carefully. I just made sure that my application cloth was saturated; and like the instructions suggested, I had folded the cloth in half, then quarters so as I lifted my hand moving along I could move to a clean area of the cloth as needed.

I am happy with my results on this old, sun-beaten, beater. It doesn't look new, I would not expect it to--but it does look like it's had a nice detailing. And that makes me happy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2014 6:42 AM PST