Profile for Aceto > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 782

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aceto "All Knowledge is Sorrow" RSS Feed (in the High Snoring Desert)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Fortress Attack
Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Fortress Attack
Price: $24.99
9 used & new from $19.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Addition for Someone who Already Collects Mega Bloks Sets or Someone Who is Just Beginning to Collect, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a gateway toy for a 10-12 year old to build a fortress wall with working lift. It opens up discussions of history and basic appreciation for walled-cities and technology of mediaeval ages if you take the opportunity. It needs to be combined with other buildable Mega Bloks sets because if owned alone, once built and played with, it can become boring will remain on the shelf. That Mega Bloks is not compatible with other manufacturers building blocks is disappointing.

Picking up the box I noticed immediately how light it felt for 314 pieces. Inside the box are 5 numbered bags with building parts and 3 un-numbered bags. One of the un-numbered bags contains pre-constructed 6 larger wall sections, the gate piece and the larger floor section for under the gate along with smaller pieces. I think a 12-year old would have had more fun constructing the pieces rather than having these larger pieces pre-constructed. The second un-numbered bag contains the lift assembly; the third un-numbered bag contains the 2 characters.

Instructions are clear and easy to follow. Tight fitting blocks, which help strengthen hand eye coordination and focus for older kids, may present too much challenge for a much younger child. Expect younger children to require an older play partner. But if you need to entertain children in your family of significant age differences, this very possible is a way to get them to play together happily and quietly over a couple of week-ends. Just don't plan on a younger child building solo and not getting frustrated. Once built, the fortress wall takes strength to take apart. This seems designed as a one-build toy.

The pieces of the 2 characters are especially detailed and are have joints that move slightly and can be positioned. Enzio's battle gear is fun to snap together and take off. Excitement is lost on the fully clothed and geared enemy. I believe my nephew would have had more fun and more imaginative playtime if accessories had been interchangeable and the battle gate had been operational and moveable to the other arches. You may want to tuck away very small pieces if you have inquisitive toddlers in the house.

At $25 and Prime at the time of this review, this Mega Bloks Fortress set is an inexpensive model construction gift for your own budding builders who collects the MegaBloks series or is just starting out. Be prepared to purchase other MegaBloks sets for your child to get any real imaginative playtime out of this purchase.

I am a huge fan of Mega Blok's Pirates of the Caribbean sets especially Pirates of the Caribbean 3: Flying Dutchman by Mega Brands but who wouldn't be.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 3:50 PM PDT

Merrell Men's Jungle Moc Nubuck Slip-On Shoe,Brown Nubuck,10 W US
Merrell Men's Jungle Moc Nubuck Slip-On Shoe,Brown Nubuck,10 W US
Price: $89.95
18 used & new from $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars WIDE, thank you and my toes thank you ten more times., October 16, 2014
Eight years these Merrells have continued as my every day choice. They take a pounding with extraordinary durability. They are comfortably supportive. Sure-footed traction.

Did I mention these come in WIDE?

My boats, er, feet are triple E. I can slip these on with my long handle shoe-horn. Then I can wear them twelve hours with no tears, and do it again the next day.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 3:51 PM PDT

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Everday Kitchen Basic Deluxe Windowpane Terry Towel Set of 4, Red
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic, Mid-weight Dishtowels. Not the very Best, but Good for Most Jobs., October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you follow Christopher Kimball, his tests for a good kitchen towel are:

Good for
1. Grabbing to use as potholder,
2. Picking up spills, and
3. Wringing / draining leafy vegetables like lettuce and blanched spinach.

His Test Kitchen tested various thicknesses and materials and their winner was mid-weight cotton.

If you need a basic mid-weight cotton terry towel and like me, like having 1-2 dozen dishtowels under the sink for a quick grab of a clean towel, then these do the trick and meet Kimball's criteria.

These are not fancy. They are not decorative. The only classic thing about them is that your grandmother would recognize them and they get the job done.

They provide adequate heat insulation pulling a medium size pot from the oven to the next room's table. They absorb an above average volume of liquid whether wringing or picking up a spill, some others just push water around the countertop. The mid-weight gives a good grip, not glass-breakers when I am polishing. This is a practical choice.

If you want to spend more money for a more prestigious quality line, Kimball's top choice is another mid-weight, William Sonoma's.

I want either cotton or flax linen in my kitchen. For that I am willing to accept normal shrinkage from non pre-shrunk because pre-shrunk adds to cost. That's what these are and that's what to expect.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 3:54 PM PDT

The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma
The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma
by Christyan Fox
Price: $12.73
61 used & new from $8.47

5.0 out of 5 stars WHO says HUMOR cannot be LEARNED?, October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Scholastic Press has done it again.

This is a Must Read for Every Budding Young Skeptic in My House!

This is a fun book to read with a child. Cat reads patiently the time honored classic Red Riding Hood story while nothing gets past Dog who questions every detail with childlike logic, imagination and quick wit.

Easy for a young child to understand and appreciate. I hope the authors make this the first in a series of tales because I'll have this one memorized in no time. This is tongue-in-cheek that Daniel Pinkwater fans will appreciate.

Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibians Amphibious RC Lobster
Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibians Amphibious RC Lobster
Price: $30.14
8 used & new from $30.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Crab When You Can Have Lobster?, October 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun first radio controlled toy for a 3 year old who is just learning she can control the world around her. --A good lesson in cause and effect. Lobster does not move fast enough or have the power to do harm as it crashes into furniture and brick-a-brak but it's fun to watch the child's awe as she first realizes that she can chase the dog or cat or drive Lobster just far enough out of her reach that she has to go chasing after it. This is a toy designed to be used outdoors and not on your indoor hard smooth floors. If you want to get your child outdoors and engaged instead of in front of a screen this may be the right toy or gift for you. The hands control the toy across real dirt, mud, grass, pavement.

Each of the 2 joy stick keys controls one side of the car. Pushing both keys away sends the car forward, pulling both keys toward you reverses. Pushing the left key turns right; pushing the right turns left. This last part of the instructions takes some getting use to for a young child.

As we watched our niece play we realized this is a toy to be used and monitored with an attentive parent especially around pools. It's fun and potentially dangerous for a child to race down the patio onto the pool deck and dive lobster into the pool without complete adult attention. What's fun for a young even well behaved child can have unintended consequences and be a little apprehensive for parents.

Fortunately for us we did not have to fish Lobster out of the bottom, his hard hollow plastic tires skid off the surface before toot-a-ling along. Sitting poolside with our attentive little one makes us realize how precious this young age is. She repeated with hopefully some understanding as we explained pool rules to Lobster.

This is a fun first RC toy for a 3 year old but a 6 or 7 year old is likely to get bored. Nearly all the toy's instructions have to do with battery dos and don'ts. I like that the battery placements take concerted adult effort as they shouldn't be easy for a child or pop-out unexpectedly. Oh, the Morphibians received the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio 2006 Award for Early School Years. Noted was the simplicity as a RC toy for a young child.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 3:34 PM PDT

Speedo Women's Contrast Strap Endurance Swim Dress, Black, 16
Speedo Women's Contrast Strap Endurance Swim Dress, Black, 16

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty is as Pretty Does, October 10, 2014
I am a swimmer. Have been most of my life
I like to look as good out of the pool as in. Speedo is my brand: dependable, true to size, long lasting. This is a step in suit whose back straps fit over the head. Red accent is good on black and near the face.

I need a suit that fits and stays in place through crawl, breast, back and side. This delivers.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 3:58 PM PDT

KT Tape Original Cotton Elastic Kinesiology Therapeutic Tape, 16-Feet, Black
KT Tape Original Cotton Elastic Kinesiology Therapeutic Tape, 16-Feet, Black
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Construction Workers Too, October 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
An uninsured architect friend was MIA after pulling his lower back and shoulder two weeks ago doing some construction work. He could barely stand upright when we saw him 3 days ago and was in significant pain. My wife and I were concerned.

Serendipitously, I had just received the KT Tape for test and review. He agreed to take a long Epson salt soak after which he returned and we applied the tape according to directions on KT Tape's website. Our only change was to clean and wipe the area to be taped with rubbing alcohol before applying with vigorous rubbing to activate the adhesive. We were also careful not to stretch the ends but to apply the end un-streatched to the skin. The next day he reported good relief from pain and was able to stand upright for most of the day.

The next day after a repeat treatment, he said he felt even better. He still feels the sprain. He says the KT Tape gives him enough compression yet ease of movement so that he is moving more normally and is able to lift things and move his arm and hand.

I explained that the adhesive on this tape is suppose to last 4 days and be water resistant. After the second application, I asked him to leave the tape on even with his soaks to see if it is long lasting so that we can report later on this review.

He believes the tape has been therapeutic for him and has allowed his back and shoulder to begin recovery. I do not recommend using this tape rather than seeing a doctor but I'm glad that in his case it appears to be working well.

The RockTape Kinesiology Tape for Athletes (2-Inch x 16.4-Feet) adhesive is supposed to last a week. I like that both the Original and Pro tapes come in 16-feet uncut rolls which is ample for several applications -- especially because you apply the tape stretched 80% except for the ends. It seems to be a good product at a good price point.

Riedel Vinum Extreme Pinot Noir Glasses, Set of 2
Riedel Vinum Extreme Pinot Noir Glasses, Set of 2
Offered by Home Core
Price: $51.36
26 used & new from $51.15

5.0 out of 5 stars They did it again! Go Pinot!, October 10, 2014
I have been using Riedel for fifteen years now. I took a chance on their Bordeaux glasses and the world opened up. Since, I have added Port glasses, and Chardonnay. But I am always suspicious that I am fooling myself.

I saw these Pinot Noir glasses. This grape is the toughest nut to crack that I have found. Not only is most good Burgundy out of reach, the Americans are doing a different style and still elusive. I also make my beef sauces with this wine, so I buy $4 bottles to reduce in my stock.

I tried a fine Burgundy and was blown away by the nose. The big wine opened to reveal lovely complex fruit. But I was not sure that I was not talking myself into these conclusions. I am so suggestible and must guard against my wishing it were so.

I then got the happy idea of pulling my $4 Tinsdale cooking Pinot Noir and plopping into this glass. The transformation was a miracle almost. The thin wine got deep as the nose filled and lifted to me. No doubt it was in the $17-25 dollar range. Drink up, Cinderella...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 4:00 PM PDT

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Repair Moisturizer, 1.7 fl. oz.
Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Repair Moisturizer, 1.7 fl. oz.
Price: $65.00
3 used & new from $65.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An Organic Product that may Minimize Large Pores, Treat Severely Dry Skin and Help Lessen Deep Wrinkling, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife was happy that I was offered a test of the Juice Beauty on Amazon Vine. She uses and has been very pleased with the Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference, "A Refining Moisture Complex Cream" but is always on the search for something better. I mention this because this Juice Beauty product is listed as an organic "Stem Cellular Repair Moisturizer" that increases cellular turnover, replenishes, restores and renews. The Juice Beauty product line includes separate "Nutrient Moisturizer" and "Green Apple Age Defy Moisturizer" which are less expensive. We don't know what the differences are, but since this Juice Beauty and the Elizabeth Arden have similar instructions for use, she compares them so. Comments are in her voice.

LIKES:

The ingredients--Zoom in on the side bar (Picture 3) and see the ingredients yourself. As I'll explain later, text is hard to read on the box and it's not on the jar. I grew up in Italy and have been a strong believer in organic since a teenager; I'm cautious of unknown and complicated complex chemicals. I appreciate not only the ingredients included in the formula, but common ingredients it doesn't have (See ZOOM of Picture 6) especially since I'm allergic to sulfa. I like that JB is USA made with offices are in San Rafael, California. I also appreciate that the website is easy and listed (Picture 5).

The measured pump built into the top of the jar is unusual for a jar and a nice feature. Using a pump is cleaner and keeps bacteria contamination minimized. Two to three presses covers face and neck.

JB feels creamy and mid-weight to the touch; good for maturing skins. It has an immediate, distinctive and pleasant smell of citrus. JB cream covers well and is not so immediately absorbed like Visible Difference. To the touch, Juice Beauty feels to fill in pores and leave the skin smoother--not oiler, but more even-- irregularities are less noticeable. Yet it does not feel heavy on the skin like some products. It seems to give deep, lasting absorption. It feels good on my face.

CONCERNS:

It will be interesting to see if the pump will:
1. Make the product last longer than if one were to use fingers, and
2. Be able to empty all 1.7 fl ounces.

Getting lotion too close to the eyes is unforgiving. It stings, causes intermittent tearing and remains uncomfortable until it is completely wiped from the area.

The writing on the packaging is annoyingly hard to read for either of us without and even with a magnifying glass. So be sure to zoom in to read the ingredient list on the 3rd picture provided by the manufacturer because we certainly cannot read it on the package box.

The Cost. A pack of 2 jars each of 2.5 ounce Visible Difference is just under $46 with Prime. The 1.7 fl oz (50 mL) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Repair is $65 with Prime. Ouch.

Overall I like the product but truthfully, I have good skin and I'm unlikely to switch unless it is remarkably a better product. I think Juice Beauty Cellular Repair Moisturizer is designed and might be a happy find for women searching for an organic product that minimizes large pores, treats severe dry skin or combats deep wrinkling.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 11:11 PM PDT

Roxio Toast Titanium 12 Mac
Roxio Toast Titanium 12 Mac
Price: Click here to see our price
27 used & new from $87.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Plus or minus one depending on your needs, October 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are looking for a basic utility for your Mac, Toast is your cup of tea. If you are a power user, then Toast 12 has some interesting features for those who engineer their own videos, including voice-overs. And I like the way it handles You Tube.

Toast 12 is a nice step up in ease of use for us Macinaters. I have fewer problems navigating and executing. The GUI is better, allowing me a nicer way to do my work.

No, there is no compelling reason to upgrade from 11.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 11:18 PM PDT