Profile for Aceto > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 779

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aceto "All Knowledge is Sorrow" RSS Feed (in the High Snoring Desert)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Arosis Greek Carolina Rice
Arosis Greek Carolina Rice
Offered by Titan Foods
Price: $3.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Greeks Bearing Rice, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Arosis Greek Carolina Rice (Misc.)
Any old Trojan will tell you that. This is NOT Carolina rice. This is a reputable, small scale company, with many good rices. This is a long grain, river rice, which I guess is why they call it "Carolina".

It is Greek rice, and not at all a bad rice at that. But if you are looking for Carolina rice, make sure it is from there. Anson Mills is a good one.

But this rice is nice for avgolemono soup, although you may prefer their short grain for soup and reserve this for stuffing. Lemon, chicken...yum. But never Hoppin' John.

Besides, this price is for about half a kilo, or just over a pound. The shipping is as much as for two pounds of Carolina Rice from the Carolina Plantation. Just remember, Opa! (not Opie).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 5:53 AM PDT

Hopkins 11179000 GoGear Black Rubber Floor Mat, (Set of 4)
Hopkins 11179000 GoGear Black Rubber Floor Mat, (Set of 4)
Price: $51.21

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Good Idea -Customizable Floor Mats, July 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Made from heavy duty rubber, this is a mat made to be abused. It arrived quickly in a 22x37x3 inch box. The gripping on the underside is designed to stay in place regardless of foot movements. Easy to customize but if you mistakenly get too large a size, or customize incorrectly, you can lose portions of the tray design to keep dirt, mud and water from the floor of your vehicle. So measure twice, cut once.

I like the configuration chart and Amazons’ knowledge and alert to the design and fit of my cars that appears on the order page.

Deep channeling on the mat face catches my shoe grit and mud coming into the car. This was a good, solid replacement for my original floor mats.

Sharp GX-BT7 2.1 Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System
Sharp GX-BT7 2.1 Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System
Price: $127.99
3 used & new from $127.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Who's Zoomin' Who?, July 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are an incorrigible audiophile, this Sharp system is not meant for you.

If you like to listen to device-based music in your backyard, poolside, in your dorm room or wherever the mood takes you, and you have a handy electrical outlet, then read on.

At this Price Point You Have Options

This Sharp Wireless Bluetooth speaker offers digital sound quality with some effects straight out of Star Wars-- speakers that expand displaying COOL blue LED lights when turned on, pulsing when playing, and a rockin' sound that tells you pairing is complete. The design is visually exciting.

Sound radiates omni-directionally. If you are going to buy a single-unit speaker, I assume the true stereo effect is not really so important to you. At this distance between left and right, it is physiologically impossible to achieve true stereo effect. It is merely better to have two speakers because you get better sound because more air is moved than with a single driver of the same size. I doubt you will really miss the stereo effect if you intend to buy a single-unit speaker system and you do get some range of sound with the subwoofers.

This is a significant improvement for the person who wants to listen to music stored from their iDevise, NFC tagging Android or USB connect. The controls are both on the speaker and on a handy remote whose stand also works to hold your cell, iPad or small device. The sound quality is typical MP3.

We tried and failed to connect the Bluetooth on our computer to test if a high-resolution audio file (ALAC, FLAC, AIFF) would sound better than the MP3s. The computer recognizes the speaker but just won't pair. The audiophile-disappointing sound might at least be partially attributable to MP3 file. I will keep trying with a contact to tech support and update if I can pair with my Bluetooth desktop.

As a note, the speaker base/platform is not particularly stable; care for placement is required. Since sound also radiates from the sides of the speakers, you'll want plenty of space all around for best sound. Also, range is limited as the system fell off and would not re-sync at about 20 feet. The black on grey controls are a little difficult to read.

Compatible list of iDevises:

iPhone
5s, 5c, 5, 4S, 4,3GS, 3G, iPhone

iPad
Air, mini with Retina display, 4th Generation, mini, 3rd Generation, 2, iPad

iPod touch:
5th Generation, 4th Generation, 3rd Generation, 2nd Generation, 1st Generation

iPod nano
7th Generation, 6th Generation, 5th Generation, 4th Generation, 3rd Generation, 2nd Generation
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 8:50 AM PDT

Vitamix 1891 Certified Reconditioned Blender with Standard Programs, Platinum
Vitamix 1891 Certified Reconditioned Blender with Standard Programs, Platinum
Price: $379.00
2 used & new from $379.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Define Your Needs, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a soup, spices and sauce man. My wife is an aggressive smoothie maker.

She has made daily smoothies for a year and a half. Two months ago, we decided to retire our blender to our daughter and replace our machine.

After careful research, she decided on a Vitamix Next Generation G Series Vitamix Professional Series 750 with 64 oz container, Brushed Stainless Finish, 2.2 peak output HP that offered a 7 yr warrantee. The cost -- $640. My wife hesitated. She asked my opinion. I found the Waring Commercial MX1200XTX Xtreme Hi-Power Variable-Speed Food Blender with Raptor Copolyester Container, 64-Ounce and we've been working with that machine until Amazon and Vitamix offered us a Vitamix 1891 Certified Reconditioned Blender to test. We were thrilled!

The Vitamix 6300 retails for $649 new and is part of the Classic Blender: C-Series. The cost savings on the reconditioned is significant over new and gives me the same power and torque of the new. They was no obvious use on our machine; all parts of the reconditioned look and perform as I would expect from a new machine. Although the standard free warranty for the reconditioned model is 5 years it is good to know that Vitamix offers an 8-year extended warrantee for $75. If you buy the reconditioned unit from Amazon, you may want to ask Vitamix for details when you register your product. I shall and I'll be happy to report back. The Reconditioned Vitamix comes with a spiral cookbook, a 64 oz container with soft grip handle that makes lifting easy on my hand and wrist.

Vitamix rates its C-Series to have an optimum batch size of Medium. It comes with a 2-peak HP motor. In comparison, the G-Series is rated to have an optimum batch size of Large with a 2.2-peak HP motor. In our experience, this C-Series handles medium batches well and struggles with large batches or batches with more than 12 oz of ice or more than about 10 oz of harder vegetables and fruit with ice. The tamper is both a useful and NEEDED tool in those instances when the machine starts to struggle because the vortex does not pull the ingredients down to the blades, as I want smooth consistency. I followed Vitamix's instruction to remove the cap on the lid when I tested with just boiled water; the model performed as expected and did not create a heated container too hot to touch. The 3 presets are handy so you can turn away momentarily and let the machine get to work. If you do require larger batches or don't like to chop you might want to consider the commercial looking Warning or the better looking Vitamix G-Series in different color options.

We were pleasantly surprised by the powerful cooling fan, which directs air down, and out vent holes at the base of the machine. I believe this cooling fan is sufficient and a nice feature to keep the unit from overheating. Running the Vitamix is quieter than I expected. A blue light on the face tells me my Vitamix is drawing power. It's a handy reminder to pull the cord after I'm done cleaning the container and lid with soapy water. An On/Off toggle is just under the machine face, easy to reach but out of sight.

The lid also has vent holes, I assume to prevent too strong a suction when you need to remove the cap to use the tamper or add additional ingredients. I find the side locking grips of the lid cumbersome when I go to remove or put on the lid. I don't know that they are needed but they do keep the lid tight to the container. I would prefer a snug fitting lid to this lid design. I notice a little play with container to base until the machine is turned on and it moves to position. This play makes it easier to place or remove the container from its base which I do not want to do when the motor is running because it will strip the metal gears from motor to container.

Options include the Vitamix Eastman Tritan Copolyester 32-Ounce Container with Dry Blade, Lid, and Recipe Book and a filtration bag.

For our purposes, this test demonstrated that the Vitamix G-Series was a better fit for our needs. We need the larger motor and broader container base better suited for smooth purees. It is reassuring that Vitamix's website charts were accurate in this prediction and because of this integrity and accuracy, it is understandable that Vitamix users are so devoted. Vitamix offers the Reconditioned G-Series which, I'm not seeing yet on Amazon.

Do your research. Although Vitamix as of this review, offers a trade up program where you can earn $100 turning in your old machine at your trade-up, its better to know your needs and get the right machine upfront. I rate this model good for entry or standard household users. We won't be trading up right now but will happily keep ours and test hot soups in the winter.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 9:08 AM PDT

Francois et Mimi Brushed Finish Stainless Steel Double Wall French Coffee Press,34oz
Offered by Luzy's Storage Place
Price: $49.95
3 used & new from $44.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Stays Hot and is Tougher than Glass, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is a lot to like in this modern designed coffee press. The pot is double wall insulated in stainless. There are no visible seams. You control the temperature of water for brewing. The outside stainless is easy to wipe clean. The shape and slope of the spout minimize spillage on the table or to the cup. It makes a quick, good cup of coffee. Coffee stays hot a lot longer than any glass coffee press and the outside wall, handle and bottom do not feel hot to the touch. The stainless seems a good, durable quality. The plunger nylon mess filter is the same quality as in other quality press pot filters that rinse well under the faucet and is never put in the dishwasher. The filter can be unscrewed from the plunger so I suspect a replacement filter should be available.

For those who like low-acid coffee, you should be able to soak your grounds overnight and press the next morning. I have not tried cold brewing in this pot. But because the metal is stainless, there should be minimal to no metal taste. You would just want to not use a high acid coffee and be sure to clean up the next morning because you likely would find it harder to clean if you let it go.

Two characteristics that I would like to point out. As I cleaned the pot before use, it was obvious that the filter and plunger floor filter scrap fully across the sides of the pot. I hear metal against metal, which surprises me because I would have hoped that the nylon mesh would prevent the scraping. The same is true when plunging after brewing a pot of coffee. The plunger is sturdy and I do not have concerns or believe that the cause of scraping is the plunger moving unevenly. The plunger is permanently attached through the lid. The lid is molded metal 2 cm deep 60 % around with a tapered sloped angle to a 1 cm walled insulation on the other 40% of the lid. (I use cm only because on my 2-sided ruler, it measures perfectly to the cm side). Again no visible seams. You rotate the lid to open the mouthpiece and pour. However when you rotate to close there is a gap an 1/8 inch by my estimation that remains open at all times and from which I can see steam escaping. Yes, you can even pour from the gap on my unit. I don't think its ill fitting so I do not understand the need to vent. Nor do I expect the pot to keep coffee hot for an extended time because of this open gap. But in our household, a max of 28 oz isn't going to last long in the morning.

Overall I like this coffee press. But I am going to watch to make sure I'm not seeing scraping marks on the inside stainless wall.

I recommend this Francois et Mimi coffee press over glass presses, especially If you are not serving the whole pot at once. The double wall French press design allows you to linger over your cup without the rest of the pot going cold immediately. Its also a good pot to travel with because it's not going to shatter. And most importantly, it makes a good cup of coffee.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 12:55 AM PDT

KRUPS KM468850 Moka Brewer Filter Coffee Maker, 10-cup, Black
KRUPS KM468850 Moka Brewer Filter Coffee Maker, 10-cup, Black
Price: $149.95
3 used & new from $141.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Smokin' Mocha, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Coffeemaking as performance art is here: from Yama Glass 8 Cup Stovetop Coffee Siphon (Syphon), Bruer's Sur La Table Cold Bruer Drip Coffee Maker B1 to the outrageous Yama Glass 6-8 Cup Bamboo Straight Frame (32oz), or this Braun design which is elegant to brew tableside at my next dinner party. But my real tests are taste, temperature and function.

Taste is superb. The taste is sharp and deep. When has it been this easy to brew 8-cups/10-demi cups of Moka espresso? I now can in this--in large part because a proper brewing temperature is achieved. The lower compartment water reservoir properly heats to a high enough temperature to pressurize steam sending perfect temperature hot water up the arms of an arch that embrace the pot, and onto the grounds while radiating heat to the platform, which in turn, maintains heat to the coffee for a short time. The platform and base is hot to the touch. My 3 tests on my machine with a precise thermometer immediately after brewing achieved 196-198 degrees Fahrenheit and completed brewing in 7 minutes.

The lid has 2 components which together act like a modified pressure cooker, raining on the grounds like an Australian showerhead. A top-facing disc has a hole on top from which the pressurized water enters and flows through finely machined pinholes to release water over coffee or tea in the shallow coffee basket. The disc is well seated with a silicone gasket, sealing lid and basket. The basket is shallow and wide. I lightly tap the coffee or tea down a little less compact than I would in an espresso machine. The bottom of the filter basket is lined with a finely meshed nylon which is the filter, and which to my eyes is a material similar to Good Living Reusable Coffee Filters, 3-Pack. Amazon does not yet sell the replacement filter for the KRUPS KM468850, but a quick google search revealed TheGourmetDepotCo lists the filter as Krups MS-623650 Permanent Filter (verify before you buy) which sells for $15. Not bad. I also want to mention that this design makes clean up easier. First the lid and filter basket stay on top of the carafe as you pour with your thumb on the lid which amply secures lid and basket to pot. No problem. Once you have finished the coffee, the grounds are semi-dry from the pressurization method and /do not drip. A simple rinse of the carafe, a tap of the filter over the trash and quick rinse of lid and basket. Simple and clean.

The ample 2-˝ foot cord is stored under the base. You unlock the top; remove the carafe, remove the aluminum carafe platform floor. Pour water into the bottom tank reservoir that contains a stainless steel heating element. The carafe easily fits underneath the arch that supplies water to the basket. I can fill the reservoir without problem or spillage. I replace the carafe platform, place the plastic permanent filter holder over the glass pot, fill with fine, medium roast fresh ground coffee, place the lid on top of the basket, position, lock the carafe so it cannot move and turn the unit on. To serve you simply, unlock and remove the carafe from the arch and pour. No emptying the coffee basket. The grounds are emptied as the unit is cleaned.

I have found NO automatic shutoff. The "on" light alerts you that the machine is still on. Again, this may be fine for a dinner party but I'm too distracted in the morning preparing for work to always remember to shut a machine off; and I don't want to come home to unpleasant surprises. I need the stress-free, convenience of auto shutoff in a day-to-day coffee maker. Low acid coffee is nice and easily kept refrigerated but this doesn't prepare that. So for ME, this does not meet my function test for a main daily coffee maker. And I do not recommend it for daily use.

The KRUPS Moka Brewer CAN be a perfect solution for those who entertain a lot. Its elegant design looks good table side. You can prepare ahead and brew after your meal without ever leaving the dinning room. No rush to the kitchen to start a pot--or with espresso--cup by cup by cup by cup. No worries that the pot is a dingy aluminum carafe, not elegant enough from which to serve. No hurrying in the kitchen to prepare boiling water to warm your great/grandmother's coffee server to present tableside. No worries that the coffee will get cold before the several cups are poured or that some guest will finish their cup and want another before you serve yourself and can relax.

Many consider it bad manners for a host or hostess, or any guests for that matter, to leave table before a complete meal. But in an artful coffee maker, what hostess wants to leave the table and return to the kitchen to warm both coffee and serving pot. Here you have something that is sleek, elegant, and modern enough for those special occasions including family Christmas and Thanksgiving. Krups does have a rather expensive KRUPS XL2000 Electric Milk Frother with Cappuccino Latte and Hot Milk features, Silver that can be used alongside.

I will not use the KRUPS Moka Brewer for everyday; that's me. It is a special purpose machine, likely used on weekends and for guests; not something I need. Just something to make my next dinner party seem a little more effortless or my next Moka Cup of Joe a little closer to home.

What is that worth?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 9:14 AM PDT

GE Lighting 95394 LED 10-watt 700-Lumen Dimmable 6-Inch Recessed Indoor Flood Downlight with Medium Base and Trim Ring
Price: $35.99
2 used & new from $31.99

3.0 out of 5 stars daZeD and CoNfUsed, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Yes, this is easy to retrofit; the easy video clip makes it a simple production. Yes, the LED is easier on the environment than traditional lightbulbs, it is dimmable and saves me money on electricity. Yes, you turn it on and there is no delay in receiving full bright 700 luminescence. Yes, it looks better or more like what we are use to seeing over the Energy Efficient/Energy Smart spiral light bulbs. Yes it is made in China and we don't want to talk about quality control or what to do if...

And yes, it costs a lot of money. In my case, my room application requires 9 cam lights. GE and Amazon were good to give me and others on Vine, 1 Soft White to test and yes, it works as described. (3 Stars). So to replace my nine cam lights, the soft white GE 95394 LED Recessed Flood Downlight with Medium Base would cost me $324. (-1 Star, maybe).

I have a dilemma.

I might first try a single cheaper Philips 433227 10.5-watt Slim Style Dimmable A19 LED Light Bulb, Soft White in my existing cam. If the light looks good and doesn't hang low, my total project cost will be $81 with Prime.

OR, if I decide to splurge because I like the look (+1Star), then it makes sense to consider the other half of this advertising coin which you will notice on the Product Page: The Reveal (2850K) at $40 a pop and a total project cost for me of $360.

Toggle to the Reveal option and Zoom in on the room comparison on the Reveal box. If I am going to spend over $300 on a project, then I don't want to be disappointed by the soft light which may not give me as true colors --AND-- I don't want to change lights and pay twice. Am I am going to be an unhappy camper to find out that I needed only spend an extra $35 for, to my eyes, a distinctively better look and feel? I think so.

I typically have bought both Reveal and Soft White in standard bulbs. I like Reveal better in standard bulbs because it seems as if colors are more saturated. It helps in reading and seeing colors clearly. I like Soft White in the bedrooms and rooms where I want to relax.I don't have the experience with LEDs to make that determination.

As I toggle back and forth I notice a couple of other curiosities: The same reviews appear under both products; yet as a Vine Voice I (and I assume others) received only the Soft White. The Reveal description states that it contains "no lead or mercury". The Soft White description makes no such claim.

Generally, I like this bulb. I can't attest to performance. It offers superior energy efficiency over standard or halogen bulbs. Click on GE's Light Bulb Buyer's Guide on the Product page. Read down to the CRI chart. GE states LED bulbs do not show color as accurately as ANY other type: Incandescent, Halogen or CFL spiral. So I suspect the choice between the Soft White and the Reveal will make significant differences in color and be very noticeable. Not so good if you have art on your walls which you want to show off or if you have specific color combinations that you have tried to achieve in a room.

Do I recommend this? Yes, with reservations stated. You decide what's important to you and your application.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2014 3:58 PM PDT

Belkin Tunecast FM Transmitter for iPhone 5/5S/5C, iPad (4th Gen), iPad mini, iPod touch 5th Gen and iPod nano 7th Gen
Price: $54.99
6 used & new from $49.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Special and Narrow Purchase, June 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This iPhone device is adequate for use in your car, but added nothing substantial. The app is good for advertisers and of little use for users unless you need more invasive traffic impinging on you.

The plug is poorly designed if you have any sort of casing on your phone.

This device would be nice for an iPhone to get ambient radio without the expense of network contact. But in my car, I get that anyway. The scanner is useful if you just want to find some radio signal, regardless of content.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 4:41 AM PDT

Cap Barbell Fitness Urethane Covered Dumbbell Black,15-Pound
Cap Barbell Fitness Urethane Covered Dumbbell Black,15-Pound
Price: $18.75
4 used & new from $18.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value and Quality Build, June 18, 2014
Cap puts a quality cap on each end, which minimizes the impact if you drom them from shoulder high.

I prefer the hex to rounded ends because they are still there when I reach for them again; they stay put, lying flat, or on-end.

The center axle grip is comfortable, but not spongy. Daily use does not loosten or wear it. There is enough texture to help your grip with sweaty hands.

I see nothing better in quality or design for the money.
Comment Comments (22) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2014 2:46 AM PDT

100% Tsubaki Oil
100% Tsubaki Oil
Offered by MAG Kitchen
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The Oily Boid Slices Da Woim, June 18, 2014
This review is from: 100% Tsubaki Oil
This oil, a.k.a. Camelia Oil, is a fine, light oil to keep your knives in top condition. Tsubaki does not go rancid or gummy.

If you enjoy the action on a good carbon steel knife, put one small drop on each side and give it a good rub. See what comes off. And see how thin a coat remains.

If you have any unwanted stains or rust, use a medium and a fine knife eraser first, and follow with a nice polishing using this oil. You will like the results,

I use it on stainless as well. It improves the way the knife moves through meat. This bottle will last for years.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 10:56 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20