Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation
Profile for joshf > Reviews

Browse

joshf's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

joshf RSS Feed (CA, USA)

Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth
Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked by Cover! Misrepresents Book!! I WILL NOT BUY WITH THIS COVER!, February 19, 2015
Five Stars for the book and NO STARS for the cover photo! I also refuse to buy this book with that cover on it. But I am thrilled it is more available now than when I started having babies. I have a copy my mother saved for me from the 60's when she read it and I purchased a copy on ebay for about $60 13 years ago. I was considering purchasing it for a friend AND I also would love to pick up fresh copies for all three of my daughters to read but I will wait until the cover is changed before I ever buy this book for anyone. I understand from another reviewer that their may be some less than obvious rational for the choice in photos but anyone looking at the photo will only see a scary situation. Very poor choice!!! If the cover photo was from the shoulders down and the entire photo was shared on the inside with an acceptable explanation then maybe it would be okay. Personally, however, I'm not going to feel comfortable pulling a book out of my purse in a public place with a naked lady giving birth on the front of it. Inside the book fine. On the cover....No.

Now that that is out of the way.....this book was very instrumental in me having a very good birth experience with all 5 of my children. Three with a midwife (with middle child the midwife arrived just in time for me to hand her the baby after he was born) and last two where planned unassisted births. NO SCREAMING involved! They were very peaceful and beautiful experiences. I also recommend the book Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon. If you are expecting, I ALSO highly recommend that to take control over the images and thoughts entering your mind. Don't listen to everyones horror stories, don't watch screaming mothers on Baby Story, etc. Your body was created to do this.... people do this everyday all over the world.... and the less outside intervention the better the outcome....in my opinion and experience. I have witnessed several hospital births of friends who desired natural birth and they do NOT come close to the wonderful experiences that I have had at home with my family welcoming a new little one into the world. Hospitals have their own agenda they really do not care about YOUR "Birth Plan". Best Wishes for a childbirth without fear!

Q-See QSPT10X Weatherproof PTZ Speed Dome with 10x Optical Zoom / 10x Digital Zoom

4.0 out of 5 stars good camera, wish it tilted up more, May 31, 2010
great picture quality, easy to install, control is simple. However... Can not tilt "up" enough when zooming in to view far away objects. you must tilt the camera on install if you want it to view items higher on the horizon. overall, I am pleased with the camera. I will consider repeat buy if I decide to replace more of my stationary cameras with PTZ's

Q-See 16 Channel H.264 Network Security DVR & Real-time Recording 16 CCD Color Cameras iPhone Support & Pre-installed 500 GB Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, May 31, 2010
This system is good for us. We can watch our business remote on our iPhones with the free app. Even with limited cell coverage we seem to get good connection and picture on phone. We can even control our PTZ dome cameras on the phone, (very cool). Remote monitoring on internet or LAN is good with Internet Exploder, but you can't view full screen like you could with some the older operating systems Q-see put out. Other limitation observed, You can only have 4-5 remote users log in at the same time. Not a big deal for us.

Install is intuitive and we did not have to hire any outside help to get it done. Some knowledge of networking is required (basic TCP/IP stuff, you need to know how to configure your router to forward certain ports to your q-see device in order for the LAN & remote monitoring to work). This is not hard with most modern routers.

The Blazing Center DVD: The Soul-Satisfying Supremacy of God in All Things
The Blazing Center DVD: The Soul-Satisfying Supremacy of God in All Things
DVD ~ John Piper
13 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Spreading a Passion for God, September 30, 2008
Piper has a passion for the glory of Christ that is contagious. I've watched these videos multiple times and glean something from it every time. Amazing that he presents this MEATY material to a youth group and they are transfixed the entire time.

I don't really care for the youth interviews, but I understand given the format of the original presentation. I've used this in a men's group and all enjoyed the material and we had some great discussions.

I'd recommend to anybody. The humility and genuine concern of Piper toward his audience is refreshing against some of the other more famous "christian leaders" today.

ViewSonic VA1926w 19-inch Wide LCD Monitor
ViewSonic VA1926w 19-inch Wide LCD Monitor
2 used & new from $70.33

5.0 out of 5 stars great monitor for the price, September 30, 2008
Purchased two. Monitors are good for the price. No dead pixels. Good performance with older video card (128mb) and older PC (2Ghz Pentium4).

Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Freezer Friendly Meals
Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Freezer Friendly Meals
by Holly Clegg
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $16.24
101 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best 'Freezer' Cookbook, March 22, 2008
This cookbook has lots of nice recipes and I like that it has the nutritional information. But I was looking for a freeze ahead cookbook and this book is disappointing in that regard. As far as I can tell all the recipes are precooked and then "cool to room temperature" and freeze. A few say don't precook but all the ingredients are precooked before the final assembly and cooking. This does not result in a very fresh tasting dish when reheated and in some cases was quite disastrous. I tried freezing one of the soups with pasta and the pasta when defrosted made the soup that was previously delicious quite unpleasant and in my opinion inedible. This cookbook has lots of nice recipes that try to cut back on fat by using reduced fat cheeses or cream cheeses but if you are looking for a 'freezer' cookbook I would recommend the 'Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer' or the 'Dream Dinners' cookbooks. Those books are also better for bulk cooking. For instance you make a triple batch of your dish and eat one for dinner and freeze two. Or cooking with friends you can make 9 of a dish and you all take some home for dinner and the freezer. This book only give the proportions for a single serving. Of course it is not that hard to multiply by three and just make more but if you are planing a lot of bulk cooking it saves a lot of time to have someone do all those calculations for you (also cuts down on possible mistakes). Furthermore, in some cases certain ingredients (acids) should not be increased at the same rate as other ingredients. The other cookbooks compensate for those adjustments.

To summarize, nice recipes but disappointing as far as freezer cooking. The best freezing recipes are the ones that freeze fresh and raw foods and then cook once (when you are ready to eat it); that is NOT this cookbook.

Why Men Hate Going to Church
Why Men Hate Going to Church
by David Murrow
Price: $14.99
199 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is POINTLESS, MEANINGLESS,, September 3, 2006
This book is only good for firestarter.

The tone of the book is such that makes the auther sound like he just "wanted to write a booK". Sort of like somebody who speaks just to hear the sound of their own voice.

The points in the book are shallow and worldly. Not once is there an exhortation for men to be drawn to Christ. The theme of the book is program, psychology, male vs. female differences, etc. Christ, Who is the true reason for a church "service", isn't even considered in this guys book.

The men he speaks of in his book do not like going to church because they are probably not even Christians. But then he offers no effective suggestions to remedy this.

The book is a waste of money, time, and even the effort to write this review. I decided that I would go through the effort to save others from the experience.

THIS BOOK IS SHALLOW.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2009 7:14 PM PDT